Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
[ERROR] No.71929571 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

Since /lit/ is a bunch of snobs let's talk about good /tg/ literature. Right now I'm reading R. Scott Bakkers Aspect Emperor series. It's good, maybe even better than the first trilogy.

>> No.71929585

>> No.71929866

>>71929585
Unfathomably based choice. What other Sword and Sorcery do you like? I really enjoyed Almuric by Robert E. Howard. It's basically his take on John Carter.

>> No.71929913 [DELETED] 

I've been reading March of the Titans, by Arthur Kemp. Fucking excellent, I highly recommend to everyone

>> No.71929920

Does Don Quixote count? Either way, its good. But I feel like I'm missing literary context that would elevate it from good to great.

>>71929571
Also, started the first book in Prince of Nothing. It was dissapointing as I had high hopes. Should I keep reading?

>> No.71930235

The Accursed Kings by Maurice Druon. It is like aSoIaF but actually good.

>> No.71930392

>>71929571

>> No.71930402

>>71929913
I'll check it out, thanks.

>> No.71930434

>>71929920
I think the series is worth reading, personally. Why did you dislike the first book?

>> No.71931549

Malazan.

>> No.71931631

>>71929920
>Does Don Quixote count? Either way, its good. But I feel like I'm missing literary context that would elevate it from good to great.
I mean, some helps, especially those old chivalric texts that Cervantes references, but as long as you have a vague notion of how a classic Arthurian text goes, you're good enough to follow along Don Quixote


A bigger thing that I did not realize the first time I read Don Quixote and didn't get it until I went over it in college is that while most people in the book speak a then-contemporary Castilian dialect of Spanish, Quixote himself speaks this several centuries old dialect, he's basically speaking the equivalent of Shakespearean English everywhere he goes, which is one of the reasons people often have trouble understanding him.

>> No.71932644

>>71929920
>I feel like I'm missing literary context that would elevate it from good to great.
iirc the second part was made after the first got famous and he leaned into self aware absurdism

>> No.71934541

>>71929571
Anything by Sanderson.

>> No.71935434

>>71934541
reddit meme author

>> No.71936181

>>71929571
>maybe even better than the first trilogy.
Wait till you've finished before you say that

>> No.71937969

>>71936181
Why?

>> No.71938789

>>71930434
Not quite sure, its been a while. Maybe I just couldn't get invested in the characters? Some sections were frustrating e.g.

when the whore thought her lover hated her after she called him once when he was distracted and he didn't reply

Also, the section with the eugenic-guy being emotionless because being logical means you're a Vulkan. Or his dad being a terrible mage because he didn't figure out magic is based on emotion even though he's meant to be a super-genius.

>>71931631
Thanks for that anon, that adds a touch to the whole thing.

>>71932644
Looking forward to that section then.

>> No.71938814

>>71930392
Whilst an image is worth a thousand words, could you talk about the book?

Also, can I read this before any of his other works?

>> No.71938850

>>71929866
True. I really love the colour Fritz Leiber gets in his "Ffarhd and Grey Mouser" series of stories. There how I'd like my idealised RPG's to feel. They're probably out of copyright too?

>> No.71938871

The Etched City features a doctor and a highway man running off to a city to start a new life because they pissed off the quest giver in their last area by becoming bandits, while the priest is already there and is whining about how his love for child prostitutes and murder means god doesn't like him anymore. It's Weird Fiction, which means there is plenty of odd for the sake of it stuff, but it's very well done and doesn't feel hamfisted.

China MIeville has opinions, and they really bleed into his work, but his three part Bas Lag series comes from his own game world. The first one deals with moths that eat minds to shit drugs getting loose in the city (which in itself is a secret police state of magical engineering teeming with bizarre races and angry bones), the second follows a side character fleeing the fallout of the debacle as she runs away onto a city made entirely of boats while the boat-city kicks down the door to steal reality's wallet, and the third involves people trying to fight a city with a train. Just.. read it. You'll enjoy it. It's fantasy, it's gritty, it's nasty, and it's amazing fun.

The LIbrary at Mount Char is pretty fucking fabulous, but I'm not sure I'd call it properly /tg/. Sort of like The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.

>> No.71938882

>>71938789
It's worth reading, but just realise that it huffs its own farts going into it.

It's less because he's a vulcan, more because they train themselves that way and thousands of years of selective breeding have ensured it happens similarly. The parent didn't figure it out because it's an enormous secret, what fuels that particular brand of magic. Literally something they're incapable of betraying.

>> No.71939177

I'm surprised no one has cited Discworld yet.
Speaking of it, is it only satire, or an actual solid series?

>> No.71939952

>>71938871

You, I like you and you are officially my friend for liking both of those writers.

I haven't heard of Library at Mount Char but on your impeccable taste I'll give it a go.

In the same line, give Stephanie Swainston's series a go too. Also Weird fiction, about immortals chosen by a semi-divine entity on their proficiency in particular areas of combat to fight tne unstoppable tide of monstrous beetles. THe protagonist is a hybrid of mountain folk and flightless bird-man that is the courier. He only keeps his position because he's the only one that can fly and everyone gives him messages.

>> No.71940574

>>71934541
yikes dog

>> No.71940616

Ok hear me out
Besides the milking every other book past blood of the fold, did anyone like Goodkind? I thought Pillars of Creation was pretty sweet.

>> No.71940632

>>71940616
Out of loyalty, or perhaps stupidity, I finished that series, but to me, Pillars of Creation was where it slipped into "bad", not merely "not as good as the first 2-3 books".

>> No.71940679

>>71940632
I feel the same way. It's just a shame because it's incredibly evident how hard he started milking them teats. I forget which one it was in particular, but he stretches on this conversation with some dumb cave girl witch for a good fucking 15 pages of absolute nothing, I was impressed.

>> No.71940711

I read this as a kid and thought it was pretty great. I was a deltora weaboo though.

>> No.71940731

Frustrating yet comfy

>> No.71940843

Setting was pretty cool.
is 20,000 Leagues under the sea /tg/?
Omamori isn't /tg/ I'm sure but it's good.

>> No.71941601

>>71939177
Yes.

>> No.71941643

>>71940731
I am a gigantic Stephen Donaldson fan (Even met my wife in a book club talking about the Thomas Covenant books), but there is no fucking way I'd call those books comfy.

>> No.71941691

>>71941643
I find sads & bads comfy for some reason. Humanizing I guess. Conflict with man & the beast is comfy to me.

>> No.71941714

>>71941643
How did you pick her up
pls help i'm autismo

>> No.71941828

>>71941714
No, seriously, it was a kind of out of the blue thing. I had moved to a new town, looked up a local book store, found out they had a discussion night on Wednesday evenings hosted there. Wanted to meet some new people, and there was a discussion of some book I hadn't read, don't even remember what it was.

But someone cracked a joke about how often the author described characters with "eyes full of condescension" and that if they made a drinking game where you drank when you came across it, we'd all be dead of alcohol poisoning. And then this girl, sitting a few chairs to my left, said she could one up it, with an author named Stephen Donaldson and the one word "Clench", used even more frequently. I of course was familiar, and I put on my best gravelly grating (how I kind of envision Covenant's voice sounding) voice, and said "Hellfire, are you trying to kill me?". Nobody else got it, but she smiled. Then we had a bit of a private talk after the main group broke up, which led to coffee, and then a real date, and then another, and it just kind of worked out. Our fourth anniversary will be in July.

>> No.71941856

>>71941828
Fuck yeah man.

>> No.71942387

>>71938871
I read Etched City, thought it was pretty good, felt like if Oscar Wilde wanted to write a fantasy novel IMO. Not the witty dialogue but the focus on senses, the smells, the sights, what have you.

also read China Mieville, and the man really digs his Communism, but it doesn't detract from the fact that he made some wildly inventive books that could have been novelized dnd modules from a parallel reality.

As for my personal count, a lotta shit by Clark Ashton Smith feels like settings for the best evil pc campaigns, like anything taking place in "Xothique" which is dying earth, where all the good people have already either died or left to the stars, and all that's left on the last continent are the weak, insane, and evil.

other than that, I fux with weird fiction, so google Punktown Jeffrey Thomas if you want crazy hellworlds, alternate world histories involving organic bug-tech and legalized murder, and Cyberpunk/Lovecraftian horror on a megacorp offworld colony.

>> No.71942667

What are the must-reads if I want to 'get' fantasy, sci-fi, urban fantasy, cyberpunk, or the hundred other genres that /tg/ covers?

>> No.71942753

>>71937969
Don't want to spoiler you but the ending is not particularly well liked

>> No.71942760

Really enjoyed this and the follow up novel, working on the third now

Very dense world building and a nice change of aesthetics to a renaissance mediterranean from the usual fantasy drudgery.

>> No.71942896

>>71942667
Read these and you can pretty much be done with your reading list:
>Lord of the Rings (Fantasy)
>Dune (Sci Fi)

Read these and you've got the genres covered:
>The Black Company (Gritty)
>The Chronicles of Amber (Sci-Fantasy)
>Discworld (Zany)
>Elric (Edginess)
>Cyteen or the Mars trilogy (Hard sci-fi definitely exists, anon!)
>Any Neil Gaiman novels (or Charles De Lint because I enjoy him more) (modern fantasy)

Read these if you just want to opine in /tg/ threads:
>Aasimov
>Jack Vance
>Phillip K Dick

>> No.71942959

>>71942760
I also have really enjoyed the first two books, haven't got around to reading the third one.
Very curious to see where the suggestions that the gods are coming back are going to go as the series progresses.

>> No.71943034

>>71942760
Reading the second one now, absolutely great books. I miss the supporting cast though.

>> No.71943106

>>71942760
>>71942959
>>71943034
Bought these 'cuz they were long and it means not needing new books for a while, but haven't started them, yet. Glad to hear they're decent. I got a hankering to reread the Dread Empire first because I only just found out Cook had published a new one like eight years ago. But those next.

>> No.71943170

>>71942896
>Hard sci-fi definitely exists, anon!
What's hard sci-fi? I didn't even know there was a soft and hard sci-fi

>> No.71943194

>>71942667
Not obligatory but I dig Greg Egan, Peter Watts and Alasdair Reynolds for sci if, the first in particular is astounding.
Link is an awesome series of fantasy stories, I'll run a one-shot in that setting once I'm confident I can do it justice. One of his others is a disturbing take on fairie invasion.
https://www.tor.com/series/mongolian-wizard-stories-michael-swanwick/

>> No.71943196

>>71941601
Mind elaborating your thoughts?

>> No.71943227

>>71943170
Generally it's how "scientific" they are, soft means FTL, psionics and humanoid ayys until becoming outright space fantasy like Star Wars.

>> No.71943244

>>71943170
>Sci-fi equals fantasy with spaceships
vs
>Sci-fi equals spaceships that pay shit-tons of attention to how the science should actually work, after you get past all the hand-waving parts that would otherwise make it not work at all

>>71943194
Reynolds is by far my fave, current sci-fi author. I even liked these last 2 with the pirates. Revelation Space finally felt like a fresh space opera.

>> No.71943415

>>71943244
I forgot to mention Charles Stross, Neptune's brood is another great STL space opera if you still need your fix. Do check out Egan as well, he doesn't do space opera much but his examination of human nature is excellent. A Kidnapping genuinely changed the way I understood human relationships and stuff like El Nido de Ladrones is fit to be copied right into a game.

>> No.71943649

Anyone have good Sword and Sorcery recommendations?

>> No.71943794

>>71942760
Loved the first two. The third was a fucking disappointment. Great story right up until the end.

I feel Lynche blew his load too early by killing off most the cast in the first book, Lies should've been maybe the fourth or fifth book in the series to give us time to come to love the characters.

>> No.71943854

>>71943649
Ok third time I'm mentioning in this thread, but it's what I'm rereading at the moment so it's on my mind. The Black Company and Dread Empire, by Glen Cook, are extremely good sword and sorcery. Black Company is probably better. Also Chronicles of Amber. All three of these are long series by authors from the 70s and 80s who can actually write well. None of this "this chapter is about walking from one side of a stable to the other in a world that's gritty and dark, dark, dark" bullshit plaguing modern hackery. The stories move fast because the writers use words to get shit done.

>> No.71943873

>>71942667
My required reading list:

Fantasy:
The Lord of the Rings
Conan the Barbarian (just the original Robert E. Howard stories)
http://gutenberg.net.au/plusfifty-a-m.html
(they're all there, near the lower third)
Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, by Fritz Leiber

S.F.
Dune, by Frank Herbert
Ringworld, by Larry Niven
Rendezvous with Rama, by Arthur C. Clarke
Foundation and Empire,by Isaac Asimov
Starship Troopers, by Robert A. Heinlein
The Forever War, by Joe Haldeman
Honor Harrington series, by David Weber

Urban Fantasy:
H. P. Lovecraft
http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/
Clive Barker
Poppy Z. Brite
Wizard of the Pigeons, by Megan Lindholm
War for the Oaks, by Emma Bull

Cyberpunk:
Neuromancer, by William Gibson
Altered Carbon, by Richard K. Morgan
Snow Crash, by Neal Stephenson
Burning Chrome (short story collection by William Gibson)

I should do a recommended reading list, too, I had to prune a lot of great stuff out...

>> No.71943876

>>71943649
Conan, naturally.
Apart from that? John Carter is Swords & Spacebabes, which is pretty great.

Fafhrd & The Grey Mouser has already been mentioned. It's basically one of the books D&D was based on in terms of tone and style. Every big ancient city from Ahnk Morpork to Waterdeep has at least a little of Lankhamar in its gene pool

If you're the kind of semen ingesting edgelord that loves doomed manchildren getting fucked in the ass by their own mistakes but never learning from them, Elric might be your kind of thing. He's not my sort but hey, you do you.

Outside of Sword & Sorcery? Try the Noir genre, it's like Sword & Sorcery but for detective novels and it's the complete and utter tits.
Philip Marlowe followed by the Continental Op. They're free, give them a shot, you won't be disappointed.

>> No.71943894

>>71943873
>Honor Harrington series, by David Weber
Why would you ever recommend that to anyone anon? Harrington is like eating paste through a hose inserted into your nostril.

Also
>No 'The Great God Pan'
Come on bro, go all the way back on that lovecraft influence.

>> No.71944026

>>71929571
Bakker is a fucking madman. I tried reading his shit because one of my players recommended it alongside Malazan.

Now disclaimer, I hated Malazan, I liked Deadhouse Gates but the rest of the series was an insufferable slog of confusing poorly explained magic and grimderp. I still read the whole thing because it was like a crack addiction, but Jesus Christ, if it weren't for Coltaine's Chain of Dogs story in Deadhouse Gates I would have resented the entire experience.

Prince of Nothing trilogy put it to shame in terms of grimderp. I could name examples. There's a race called the Sranc whose entire shtick is that they rape people to death. They were engineered as a bio-weapon to use against some elder race, but they're still around in the modern day. In one scene, a sorcerer is having a vision of a city that is falling to them, and men are rushing outside to bash their own childrens' heads in on the pavement so that they won't have to be raped to death by the invaders. They are then, of course, raped. And so are the corpses of their children, and their wives.

In another scene, a group of men are captured, and forced to watch as their wives and children are raped to death by these monsters (and another big monster of the incheroii, who are almost extinct but who really like raping stuff) before being raped to death themselves.

In yet another scene, a giant crusading army is attacked by Scranc, and its leader falls to his knees and prays that the crusade would be worth it even as the Scranc swarm upon him and rape HIM to death also. Of his army of hundreds of thousands, scant hundreds remain at the end, the rest having been raped to death.

This is one of the LESS horrific parts of the series. What the fuck is it with fantasy writers and rape, Jesus.

>> No.71944088

>>71944026
Readers are desensitized to murder so you have to upgrade to rape to get people's attention.

>> No.71944172

>>71944026
They also have a thing where Hell is real, and all magic-users go there. You can look into the Inverse Flame and see what Hell is like, and it drives most people insane because just the act of looking at it condemns you to it. The only way to save people from Hell is to reduce the total population of the world to some arbitrarily small number.

It's one of the few fantasy series I've seen which actually engages with the concept of damnation in a meaningful way. The alternative to damnation is that your soul is absorbed by a deity, which still results in you ceasing to exist, but at least you aren't tortured for eternity.

>> No.71944635

>>71943196
Not him, but Discworld is both a satire and fantastic in and of itself.

The books are mostly stand alone, but there are mini-series in them that are worth reading in order e.g. the Watch, Rincewind's mis-adventures, the Witches etc. They cover a great deal of the narratives you meet in fantasy: fairy god mothers, fae, heroic epics, eldritch horrors etc. but from another angle.

Small Gods and Reaper man are two of my favouries, but Gaurds!Gaurds! is good as well. Basically a riff of "the chosen one fights the dragon and claims the throne" except that's not what happens.

The books are worth re-reading too, because you'll get different things out of them at different parts of your life. And they're just that good.

>> No.71945797

I like trashy shit with relationship drama, what does /tg/ recommend for me?

>> No.71946255

>>71945797
Twilight. I can't think of trashier shit.

>> No.71946260

>>71945797
How trashy we talking? Like "American woman idolizing France with some soft-core BDSM?" Because the Kushiel series is trashy as fuck and poorly written. And I love it.

>> No.71947194

>>71943034
That would be my one big complaint with the series. I can see why he chose to kill off the supporting characters in the first book, but I liked the dynamic of the family and wanted to see more schemes pulled with a full crew.

>> No.71947910

>>71939952
I'll have a look, thanks. Library at Mount Char is both depressing and amazing. I'm trying to think of the best way not to spoil it while hyping it further for anyone else who might be considering it, just that it's a good look at wizards and human beings.

>> No.71948006

Any good fantasy or science fiction from Asia? I mean the japs must have written something that's not necessarily animu or wuxia shit right?

>> No.71948023

>>71948006
>Any good fantasy or science fiction from Asia?
>good
Nope.

>> No.71948059

>>71942667
For Cyberpunk: Neuromancer has a bit of zeerust but it doesn't change it being a good book. The two following ones, Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive, are good but not required. Snow Crash (and the book set in the same universe but with only one very tenuous link, Diamond Age) feature near future turbo-consumerism cyberpunk and what happens when that collapses, respectively, and the society that builds up around both of them. Also a small black/japanese halfer with a sword fights an eskimo with a glass spear and a nuclear bomb. Iron Sunrise by Stross is also good sci-fi stuff.

For urban fantasy: Rivers of London and The Laundry Files are a little 'modern' - both are english, both have very SJW-y authors, but the stories manage to be told regardless. Rivers of London follows a newly approved cop inducted into the London Police's magical team, which consists of one aristocrat who hasn't figured out how to die and his maid. Laundry Files is basically Delta Green, if Delta Green was a real government agency. Lovecraft on tranquilizers, written as a spy novel. It's not perfect. There's an odd moment where the MC is experiencing being fucked by a corpse in the second book. I skipped through the middle-aged sex scene in book.. 6, I think. But it's a good series, and you should pirate it rather than buy it because fuck stross. There's quite a few of each series.

You could also pick up Johnathan Strange and Mr Norrel, but that's 1800s fantasy, in a world where the age of magic wasn't too long ago. It's long and bizarre and fabulous.

Mark Lawrence is all over the map with what he writes - he's put out a three part time travel series of novellas which are set in the modern day. The Emperor of Thorns trilogy is what happens when you take TG's edgiest motherfucker and make someone act like him until he unfucks his brain, then deals with it for the rest of his life. His Red/Grey/Holy sister trilogy is far future sci-fi fantasy post-apocalypse stuff.

>> No.71948104

>>71948006
Battle Royale is a good book.

>> No.71948160

>>71942667
>>71948059
Also, try Terminal World, by Alistair Reynolds. Humanity reached the stars and solved everything.. then fucked it all up. Humanity is now stranded in a universe that changes its energy state in layers and is slowly going to hell.

The Iron Dragon's Daughter is a story about fairies (the real terrifying kind from the oldest stories) abducting a girl and forcing her to work on "Iron Dragons", really angry living fighter jets piloted by half elves. The First Law Trilogy has the most magnificent prick in the world, but it's fundamentally about a party of adventurers going to save the world, with all sorts of horrible revelations on the way (Spoiler: They're all awful people, it's just the ones who don't hide how awful they are who are better than the rest).

And the Magicians. Grossman's a weird motherfucker, but he wrote a good book about adult magical schools. Magic is hard stuff, involving months of rote memorisation, but you can do basically anything. Lots of people don't like the changes that happen in the later two books, and the first one is only 'magic school' until about 70% of the way through. It becomes a story about ennui and 'what do you do when you can do anything', the search for meaning, etc.

>> No.71948161

>>71948006
I mean it's safe to assume there are, sure. But guess what? They weren't written in English.

Windup Girl is an excellent novel called "biopunk," whatever the fuck that means. The English translations of Vampire Hunter D aren't half bad for pulp.

Just imagine all the jargon in your average fantasy or science fiction novel. Now imagine trying to translate that shit into another language. It doesn't work. Anything that was good in Japanese wouldn't be, in English.

>> No.71948656

>>71944172

I loved the way that the different wizards dealt with the knowledge of their damnation. And the way especially that Iyokus speaks with the Ciphrang when it's going on about how it'll be tormenting him for eternity and he's just like 'well it is what it is so go do what I tell you to do.'

>> No.71948702

>>71948656
I thought the Psukf wizards, the emotion ones, didn't get tormented? It was just Anagnostic and gnostics?

>> No.71948713

>>71948656
Man's a druggie, his priorities are all kinds of fucked. I liked that one Zeumi gradually realising how badly he'd fucked up before getting dead'd n head'd.

>> No.71948740

>>71944172
>It's one of the few fantasy series I've seen which actually engages with the concept of damnation in a meaningful way.

In Olympos by Dan Simmons hell is real and one of the main characters canonically ends up there.

>> No.71948743

>>71948702
Spot on, they speak with God's passion the other heretics speak blasphemy by imperfectly attempting its words. Fanim dindu nothin, fuck the false gods.

>> No.71948771

>>71942667
China Mieville is worth getting into for dark, pulpy fantasy. I'm rereading Perdido Street Station right now, and I can't sing it's praises enough.

>> No.71948790

>>71948743
Oh, good. I hope the Prince's dad gets to come down and shit on him post death as part of his torment. Fuck big K.

>> No.71948853

>>71948006

>> No.71948911

>>71948790
It's all conditioned ground, the only thing Moe didn't plan for was K cracking. God knows what's inside him now, or rather God doesn't.

>> No.71948985 [DELETED] 

>>71929571
Read this >>71929913 and The Passing of the Great Race by Madison Grant

>> No.71949014

>>71929571
the camulod chronicles, or a dream of eagles or whatever its called.

read "The Skystone" up to the end of "Metamorphosis" and then I quit because from that point on it was the perspective of a different character who got introduced in an alleged side book.

>> No.71949143

>>71948911
It's been a while since I read the Last Book - I thought things were much more final right at the end?

>> No.71949200

>>71949143
It's somewhat fuzzy to me too mainly because I'm too dense to understand the hints about what the Judging Eye actually is and don't know what to make of the K/No-God switcheroo.

>> No.71949270

>>71949200
Well, that one I can answer, at least. The JE isGod's Viewpoint. You're eyeballing somebody's sins and 'good works', as fucking random as those seem to be. I'm 99% sure that literally any mark counts as irredeemable sin, though there was that one sorcerer who thought he had a way past the outside. Works on literally anything, not just things you can see. Assuming it actually functions when you need it to.

>> No.71949391

>>71949270
I got that much, I mean why does Mimara see Kellhus descend from the tower as himself and then suddenly as Mog-Pharau? Is God percieving more than one reality at a time? Is it double vision because the No-God is invisible to heaven/TJE but visible to her human perception? So many questions...

>> No.71949555

>>71949391
Oh. I always assumed that that scene was Kelly assuming his destiny. This is my personal interpretation with exactly fuck all to back it up. I've always looked at the Psukhe has a manifestation of god's grace, and the emotion of mankind was part of their tether to the divine. It and innocence are not the only way to avoid damnation, just the easiest.So to me, the Dunyain were always just breeding out God's grace. The No God was basically the absolute nadir on how in tune with/close to god you could be. So that Kellhus entire journey was him descending further and further, marinating himself in power and 'sin', until he finally hit that nadir in a different way, with something so absolute being unable to exist in two ways at once, so they merged together. Sort of like two black holes. You could probably twist that into a form of salvation, I guess.

>> No.71949717

>>71949555
I think it probably has more to do with Bakker's philosophy of consciousness than anything else, the apocalypses he goes on about in other works are semantic. WHAT DO YOU SEE? can be as much about too much information as too little, the blind brain theory in particular relies on consciousness being an illusion generated by imperfect perception of the self. Rather than removing consciousness/God from the world the No-God might complete it thereby revealing the illusion and undoing it. Sort of like the Babel fish making him vanish in a puff of logic to more disastrous effect.

>> No.71949808

>>71949717
Have you read the False Sun short story the author posted?

>> No.71949830

>>71949808
If I have I've forgotten it, is that the one where the Nonman goes to give Shauritas a beatdown?

>> No.71949874

>>71949830
Only men and inchiroi in this one.
https://rsbakker.wordpress.com/stories/the-false-sun/
Pre-Consult Mangaecca. Sort of.

>> No.71949892

>>71949830
>>71949874
Though I can see why you'd call Titirga a Nonman, if that's what you meant. He's the next thing to it.

>> No.71949894

>>71940711
Deltora was based, especially the focus on puzzles, riddles, wordplay, etc.

I prefer Circle of Magic/Circle Opens to the Tortall stuff to be honest.

>> No.71949962

who Master Of The Five Magics here

>> No.71950013

>>71944026
>muh sranc

The rape grimderp isn't a fantasy theme at all, despite the setting. The Inchoroi are transhumanism played straight.

What does space-/d/ know about war? Not much, but they know logistics wins wars, they know which brain buttons feel good, and they have the bioengineering to make it work.

>> No.71950404

If Ajokli is the devil playing finger puppets with the world, which god is the real one? Or were the nonmen right and it's oblivion everyone should swing for?

>> No.71950475

>>71950404
Fanimry's ultimate submission or the Nonmen's ultimate flight, these are the only sane ways to evade damnation. Whatever Kellhus had cooking clearly didn't pan out.

>> No.71950481

>>71938814
It's a weird book, more reminiscent of epic literature in its themes and emotion.
It's not the most complex book story-wise, but it's worth reading for the quality of Edison's prose, which (in my opinion) far surpasses Tolkein's.

It's the first of his books you should read.

>> No.71950545

>>71950475
Given the islamic parallels and the early islamic position on heaven being 'oneness' with god and flight into oblivion, they might be the same thing. The Fanim submit and are arisen to become one their existence ending as what they are becomes part of something else, or the Nonmen bolt out that way and end up in oblivion, then evanesce into nothing.

With that choice you might be better off hoping Husyelt is as much of a bro as he seems and learn to hunt.

>> No.71950623

>>71950481
It'd maybe be pretentious if it wasn't so earnest, and it's refreshing to read fantasy that's not derivative of Howard or Tolkein

>> No.71950628

>>71950545
I always liked the sender of plagues best, takes character to save only your most stalwart opponents.

>> No.71950688

>>71950628
I think he and the Hunter are probably the ones you'd suffer least under. An eternity of hunting or an eternity of battle as a surgeon-gladiator. The war god probably wouldn't be so horrible, if you were Cnaiur or Cnaiur like. Big A's just a cunt.

>> No.71950704

>>71944635
So can I just start from a random book of the series? Even if they're part of an arc.
Asking cause most of them are either out of print or not translated in my language.
The only thing I know is that the first two books or so are not recommended as the starting points.
Another thing which lets me a bit skeptical is that I may not get some references - I remember reading the witch arc keeps doing that for Shakespeare, will I enjoy them less if I haven't read all his stories?

>> No.71950720

>>71950688
If you're Cnaiur everything's horrible.

>> No.71950738

>>71950720
Kind of hope somebody pulls out a magic time travel aspect at the end and we get to eyeball what was hinted at without MoeMoe - unbroken and not-insane Cnaiur. Or maybe it's the breaking that gives him that whole imminent and immanent demon prince thing.

>> No.71950789

>>71950738
If K thinks it's a good idea to preemptively break things so they cannot be further broken maybe M thought the same.

>> No.71950868

>>71949894
Yeah, Circle series didn't have the cringe level romance. 14 year old furry and the 50+ academic? bleh. Family member sent me the Numair origin book as a joke and I tried reading it...man, dementia is real for Peirce, she didn't use an editor to keep her cringe sexuality work out, or she paid a hack ghost writer.

But yeah, circle series was aces. Actually got in to it on accident because there was a different Circle of Magic series and there was a mix up on my book order

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/363042.School_of_Wizardry

That one was kind of like a harry potter where harry has to kill Dumbledore/Snape in the first book and then jumps straight to exiled wandering.

>> No.71950877

>>71929571
I wish Asimov got more love on /tg/. I really like the Foundation novels, because they're in this cool spot of "we're in the future, but nothing about humans has changed at all." Especially the first book, there's just so much mundane-ness that I have no trouble believing a lot of it.

>>71931631
>>71938789
To add to this, you should know, if you didn't, that Cervantes wrote the book in two parts. After he published the first part, it was very popular, so someone else wrote a sequel. He could do this because, at the start of the book, to parody chivalric romances, Cervantes says the story was originally told to him by someone else. So when Cervantes wrote the second part, there are lots of references to things Quixote is supposed to have done, but he then refutes having done them.

>>71949014
I read these books when I was like 12 and it's one of the first sexual fantasies I ever had

>> No.71950891

>>71940616
My coworkers unironically like the series.

But also they listen to everything on audiobook, where the narrator can significantly alter your perception.

>> No.71950946

>>71943894
Right, the giant fanbase of those kinds of pulp scifi novels totally agree with you.

Look, stuff like Honor Harrington, The Lost Fleet, etc definitely have a place other than the dumpster, even if the local copy is in your particular dumpster.

>> No.71951007

>>71943876
>Elric
Elric is from the time period where it was A-Okay for novels in the same series to break continuity with each other.

Biggest pet peeve of mine trying to go back and read older series is continuity issues like that.

>> No.71951058

>>71950704
You can start anywhere. The allusions to past arcs are fairly minimal.

The witches stories do lean on parody of Shakespeare, but it's not necessary to have actually read Shakespeare.

>> No.71951136

>>71951058
>The witches stories do lean on parody of Shakespeare, but it's not necessary to have actually read Shakespeare.
I was wondering if that's a big part of the charm.

>> No.71951287

>>71950891
I think I didn't mind the audiobook when I tried it, depends on the narrator of course. The one I was listening too just made D'haran's sound German & that's exactly what I did internally on first reading so I was pretty impressed.

>> No.71951302

>>71938850
Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser is/are the best depiction of total bros in any media, ever. They constantly fight with each other but at bottom no force in the universe, be it women or wizards or literal magical geas placed on them can surpass their fucking brodom and it's consistently great how it plays out.

>> No.71951328

>>71949894
Rowan of Rin was more of the same Deltora vibe, liked it a lot.

>> No.71951373

>>71950877
>I wish Asimov got more love on /tg/. I really like the Foundation novels, because they're in this cool spot of "we're in the future, but nothing about humans has changed at all."
Same here, although I actually like the Elijah Bailey mysteries and his short stories more than Foundation. Have you ever read "In a Good Cause"? It's amazing, IMO.

>> No.71951454

MY PLAYERS WON'T PLAY SPACE OPERA GAMES AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH FUCK
I'm just sad. I have so much material. This book is chock full of it.

>> No.71951526

>>71950891
addendum to>>71951287
I think my biggest complaint with narrators is when they fuck up the cadence of the novel. Sometimes just in parts but it's super jarring. I listen to stuff from the few narrators I trust not to fuck it up generally now.

>> No.71951905

>>71951454
I love Hamilton. I like his self dig at his sex scenes in his latest books too.

>> No.71951968

Lots of the appeal would be lost, in that the books are a quasi mythcycle/religious tract but a Prince of Nothing system might be fun.

>> No.71952287

Recommend a good spess scifi about cold war, intrigue, proxy wars or something like that.

>> No.71952574

>>71952287
House of Suns has aspects of it. You could also try the Commonwealth books by Peter F Hamilton.

>> No.71953612

>>71943876
I appreciate you recognizing Elric's importance to the genre even if you hate it. I loved all the Elric stories until the zany Eternal Champion stuff. Anything up to and including Stormbringer is a fantastic read and worth it if for no other reason than to see the O.G. invention of a not-insignificant portion of the tropes common in your current kitchen-sink fantasy, including D&D's alignment axis and 40K's Chaos. Its influence on both of those properties is immense, and it becomes clear that Melniboneans are the template for both Drow and Dark Eldar. Basically everything in the books has been plagiarized to the point where seeing it in its original form is an interesting exercise it itself. It also permanently changed how I treat the alignment axis when I run D&D.

Plus, Elric himself is a joy to read. He's the original mopey edgelord and it's played almost entirely straight. He's such a fucking asshole and everyone wants a piece of him, it's great.

>> No.71953724

>>71943876
Space Nior is pure sex.

>> No.71955918

>>71952287
Cold Cash Wars

>> No.71955943

Just read Three hearts, three lions. It's fascinating seeing so many things Gygax took from it for D&D

>> No.71955961

>>71951302
Yeah, OG muscle and finesse duo. Definitely what I think of every time I read something like Gotrek and Felix.

That or Little John and Robinhood I guess >.>

>> No.71955971

>>71929571

Love these books. Cnaiur, the most violent of all men, now that was a guy you didn't fuck with.

>> No.71956035

>>71955971
To the contrary, most of his problems came from the fact that he was a guy you fucked if you were a dude.

>> No.71956086

In my opinion, Dumas's The Three Musketeers and sequels form the basis for adventure fiction that much of tabletop roleplaying functionally is. If it wasn't for TTM we wouldn't have modern adventure fiction, superheroes, or the four-man DnD party.

It's a fun read. I recommend it.

>> No.71956102

>>71948160
>And the Magicians. Grossman's a weird motherfucker, but he wrote a good book about adult magical schools. Magic is hard stuff, involving months of rote memorisation, but you can do basically anything. Lots of people don't like the changes that happen in the later two books, and the first one is only 'magic school' until about 70% of the way through. It becomes a story about ennui and 'what do you do when you can do anything', the search for meaning, etc.
It's the millenial college experience translated to fantasy and it gets old pretty quickly.

>> No.71956113

>>71956035

No, I mean you. Would you fuck with Cnaiur?

>> No.71956118

>>71942387
I'm glad you mentioned Clark Ashton Smith. I love his baroque imagination, even Lovecraft thought that was his genius. Required reading!

If a clever DM could make Thomas Ligotti's landscape make sense in a campaign I'd be impressed.

>> No.71956165

>>71956113
I mean, sure, if he's offering and I have a clear escape route for when we're finished.

>> No.71956186

>>71956165

Let's assume he has a horse and you don't.

>> No.71956198

>>71956186
Then no.

>> No.71956308

The Expanse is decent

Neil Gaiman anything should be fantasy bread and butter, but especially Neverwhere, American Gods, Stardust, Norse Mythology, and the short story collections eg Fragile Things and Trigger Warning

>>71948059
Stross's Rule 34 is underrated

Halting State is okay too if you can withstand the awful 2nd person

>>71948006
Ted Chiang isn't bad

>>71948161
>Windup Girl
Absolutely unlikeable, sorry

>>71950877
MORE?!
Asimov is arguably godfather of scifi as it is

>>71950946
>Harrington
Muh fuckin infodump
They're only any good if you want that particular Hornblower-in-SPAAACE itch scratched, and not for anything after space carriers are invented
>particularly not Mesa
>fuck

>>71951136
Unfortunately a huge part of Discworld's cachet is parodies of English tradition and literature tropes. As fantasy alone, they're just "good"; the greatness is in all the jokes, puns, subversions, etc

>>71951373
>Elijah Bailey
Excellent taste. Caves of Steel is Ur-cyberpunk frankly.

>> No.71956349

Vance and Howard are both phenomenal fantasy authors and their works still held up great today. I highly recommend Red Nails and The Eyes of the Overworld to anyone that's into the genre

>> No.71956474

>>71940731
what a great cover.
I'm really a sucker for nice covers but nowadays sadly so many books have extremely stylized or just cheaply designed covers. like >>71942760
I think a bad cover doesn't make a book bad, but a good cover can enhance your perception and memory of the book and the general feeling for it, like pic related fits perfectly for the nature of Pratchetts books.
If possible I buy second hand books just to get the old cover of a book.

>> No.71956475

Any Mass Effect/Star Trek like novels about humanity working with interesting alien cultures?

I want to read about weird and interesting life working together with humans of the future

>> No.71957709

>>71943894
Or how about I continue to write my own list of things I like, and you go fuck your mother, you horse's ass?

>> No.71958605

>>71951136
As that other anon said, a lot of its value is in the references. That said, a lot of this UK specific stuff has bled out into popular culture enough that you should have heard some version of them.

Plus, a fair bit of its subversions come from broader myths and epics, archetypes that appear in vast numbers of cultures etc.

Also, reading 3Discworld first, then reading the stuff it references, then reading Discworld again is perfectly viable.


READ IT.

>> No.71958611

>>71956474
Josh Kirby art sucks mate, he interpreted Twoflower as having 4 eyes for gods sake

>> No.71958669

>>71956475
Sector General, by James White

>> No.71958681

>>71958611
Pratchett described Twoflower as having four eye in his first appearance, and left it at that for the entire fucking series.
It was only explained years later it was just a pair of glasses.
Not really the artist's fault.

>> No.71959553

>>71951373
I haven't read it, but I'll put it on my list. If you haven't, you should check out Pebble in the Sky.

>> No.71959627

>>71956086
Patrician taste. I never thought of The Three Musketeers as an influence on ttrpgs, though makes sense once you say it. I think it's a good example of how to do an intrigue storyline well.

>> No.71959669

>>71948853
I feel like I didn't "get" this book, it's so highly praised but it was so worthless to me I don't even remember much about it

>> No.71959676

>>71956475
>Any Mass Effect/Star Trek like novels about humanity working with interesting alien cultures?
Very different setting but similar idea of working with aliens, Pushing Ice.

>> No.71959713

>>71959676
Liked the fountainhead/mountainhead reveal, McKinney was a bro.

>> No.71960264

>>71959553
Didn't hugely like Pebble, to be honest. It dumped an awful lot of narrative weight on poor Coincidence's back.

>> No.71960364

>>71959676
>>71959713
The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet is a good one as well

>> No.71960449

>>71940731
I'm reading Lord Foul's Bane right now. Covenant just met Foamfollower.

So far, I'm a little underwhelmed. Stick with it?

>> No.71960464

>>71960449
Not him, but I would. It really picks up when you get to Revelstone, and you're almost there. Plus, Foamfollower is possibly the best character in all of fantasy.

>> No.71960499

>>71960464
I love him already. Joy is in the ears that hear, friend.

I've just been a little underwhelmed by The Land so far. Stonedowners and Woodhelven are pretty cool, it's a comfy existence. But the most compelling stuff so far has been Covenant's illness in the first few chapters. I'm wanting to persevere because this is a series my dad read back in the day, and I love rereading old fantasy stuff he experienced in his time.

>> No.71960586

>>71934541
>>71935434
Seriously, why is he so popular? I don't think he's bad, but he's definitely not top tier.

>> No.71960777

Anyone here read Gene Wolfe? I love some of his works, like Latro, but stuff like The Wizard Knight is just frustrating to read, the dialogue written here reads off so emotionally impaired or divorced from reality.

>> No.71960842

>>71960499
Don't worry, the illness stuff will come back into the fore, especially as Covenant gets more actively involved in things. And of course the consequences of what he did in Mithil Stonedown will come back to roost.

>> No.71960843

>>71960586
>but he's definitely not top tier.
He's playing in the pulp league, where he definitely is in the top.

>> No.71961613

>>71959627

I think the character archetypes of the eponymous Three Musketeers + D'Artagnan are very important for setting the tone for character archetypes throughout pulp and adventure stories up to the modern day.

>> No.71961957

>>71961613

The fact that D'Artagnan befriends the Three Musketeers by dueling is almost remiscent of how Gilgamesh and Enkidu meet.

>> No.71962070

Is Abercrombie's "Shattered sea" trilogy any good? Quite liked First law, the story wasn't anything special but I really liked the characters

>> No.71962754

>>71960449
>>71960464
>>71960499
>>71940731
I read the first book and dropped the second one midway.

I had really high hopes when I began the series, but reading Thomas Covenant was emotionally taxing, I don't even know how to describe. Like, when you read, let's say, Dostoyevsky you experience a lot of emotions and it enriches your reading.

In the case of Thomas Covenant though, it made it harder to continue. You have a protagonist who was utterly unlikable for me. Some one who loathes himself, feels revulsion towards the decency of others, is extremely egotistic, is wantonly cruel (the rape) and always excoriates himself for his inadequacies when he isn't wallowing in self pity. He continues to be this way, lashing out at others, doing things and moving the plot forward out of compulsion rather than motivation, in a story where things just get progressively worse over time.

I know I may sound like a pansy, but I was genuinely stressed out when reading prose describing Thomas' thoughts and emotions. Here's a psychotic man who is so loathsome that it is not even possible to hate him as a villain, and you have him worshipped and admired by the people of the Land for some fucked up reason.

I am not saying it's bad, I just found the plot and the protagonist designed to stress out the reader as much as possible. Please someone tell me they get what I'm trying to say.

>> No.71964588

>>71956349
One thing I didn't expect getting into Dying Earth is how funny it was. Cugel the Clever is an absolute shameless bastard and the only reason he's not the villain in EotO is because the story's from his POV and he's fucking funny.

>> No.71965445

>>71964588
I love how he constantly gets himself into deeper shit because he can't stop backstabbing people

>> No.71965550

>>71948006
Liu Cixin's three body problem is the posterchild for 21st-century chinese science fiction. He also wrote a book which has a movie based on it, "Wandering Earth."

>> No.71965724

>>71929571
I recently read the Mars trilogy and now I want more. Are KSR's other sci-fi novels good? Recommend me hard Sci-Fi /tg/.

>> No.71965858

>>71962754
>Please someone tell me they get what I'm trying to say.
Oh, I very much get it. And in fact, if you're channeling covenant, you're supposed to find the constant, almost mindless adoration he gets to be emotionally wearing, and almost incomprehensible, because yes, he is an absolute pathetic failure of being a human being.

>> No.71966510

>>71944026
It's that bad huh? Thanks for saving my time not reading that trash.

>> No.71966574

>>71959669
It's not very good. It's very fucking Chinese and all that implies, with human drama that doesn't really strike home. Made fkr different cultural parameters. But it's foreign and woke, so people laud it.

Also it's funny to watch people shriek about his others being unwoke.

>> No.71966615

>>71965858
>>71962754
Just to elaborate, but becuase it gets into some core themes I'm going to spoiler
The isekai reality that is The Land is kind of a quantum superposition thing; it's simultaneously a real external existence and a reflection of Thomas's mind. Everyone worships Thomas precisely because it is the most uncomfortable thing possible for him; he knows he's a depsondent, vicious, rage-a-holic piece of shit, and he wants to recapture a sense of lost innocence. But he believes he can only do that through a sort of purgative suffering, so he conjures up something to make himself suffer. Ironically, that's everyone liking him, irrationally so, and willing to put up with all the crap that he knows is wrong but lashes out with anyway.

Things only really start to get better when he can finally get out of the self-destructive cycle. But that doesn't really happen until about 2/3 of the way through the last book of the first trilogy.

>> No.71966656

>>71966510
He really leans on the idea of damnation justifying absolutely any atrocity and as >>71950013 points out the alien antagonists engineered that murderfuck feedback loop into the sranc because it keeps them on mission no matter how many millennia pass. There's also a lot about consciousness and free will with the contrast between the vulkan ubermenschen and regular humans in terms of malleability and self control being the same as human and sranc, the latter flat out lack most of the frontal lobe involved in self reflection. The one time I really felt he went too far was in describing the later great ordeal, the same thing could have been accomplished by having certain characters return to see the aftermath rather than slogging through a frankly boring few hundred pages.

>> No.71966757

>>71966656
One massive gotcha I've always wondered about is damnation. That maybe it's all a lie, and worship gets your soul sent to the god you most aligned with. The Inchiroi's progenitors? Absolutely a problem for them, but everyone on Ea just fizzles out. The author isn't exactly perfectly honest and occasionally there are little hints that make it just possible enough.

>> No.71967225

>>71962070
I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the first law trilogy. None of the characters were as interesting to me as in the first law books, except for a couple of very minor characters who don't get much focus. Try the first one out but if it doesn't catch your attention don't expect the sequels to change anything.

>> No.71967275

>>71960586
The fact that he can put out books quickly and has a complex literary universe where laws remain constant throughout appeals to a lot of people, including me.
I'm mostly tired of catching up on a series with more than 3 books in it before the author goes on hiatus indefinitely, it has happened too many times to me.

>> No.71967281

>>71966574
>But it's foreign and woke, so people laud it
Sadly yes. Books are judged these days by wokeness more than anything else

>Also it's funny to watch people shriek about his others being unwoke
Oh really? Do tell

>> No.71967354

>>71967275
Or has an okay start and instead of getting better it sort of stutters along and then takes a fucking nosedive without ever being seen again. Looking at you, Rothfuss.

>> No.71967369

>>71960586
He puts out tons of books literally literally.
He's a Mormon so other Mormons think they must prop up one of them whenever they can.
He's not the worst writer really.

>> No.71967387

>>71967354
The problem with Rothfuss is he got a bunch of praise for his first book, his second book came out and wasn't too bad, and then he had so many fans he knew he could get away without putting out a third book. The 2.5 book felt like a slap in the face, who cares about the wild girl who lives in the underbelly of the school?

>> No.71967505

>>71967387
His second book stuttered until it hit the rape village and takes a nosedive as soon as it hits Fellurian. The author had gone to such lengths to ensure everything had a regular explanation, to show the main character as questioning and unwilling to accept "Because we said so" and he suddenly shuts up and listens, discards all of his competency and characterisation and it gets worse as time goes on. Ademre actually had me putting down the book for a while.

Agree with 2.5. I didn't find it as insulting as book 2 but it was pretty up there.

>> No.71967616

>>71967505
To think that the trilogy was originally going to be one long book before an editor forced him to break it into 3 parts and add the Kote stuff.

>> No.71967726

>>71967505
Sorry, nosedive as soon as it hit fellurian. I got my timeline mixed up, it's been a while. Rape village was after. God that was fucking stupid.

>> No.71968038

>>71967726
Rape caravan, technically. They had killed a troupe of not-Gypsies and taken their wagons.

>> No.71969213

>>71929571
Wow, people enjoyed the Prince of Nothing? Geez, OP you have my attention. Seriously, I couldn't stand it....

>> No.71969262

>>71958611
No YOU suck.
>>71956474
Yeah funnily enough that was exactly what put me off exactly what you mentioned, the Lies of Lacke Lamora. That shit was pretty tight though.

I mostly only bother looking at books if their covers are minimal or hard.

>> No.71969299

>>71962754
Oh I feel you dude. You're pretty much explaining the whole point of the novel here.
>>71966615
Big brain.

>> No.71969433

>>71969213
It's a fusion of well-treated traditional theology themes with Peter Watts-style hard materialism in an immersive setting by a good writer, who thematically justifies over-the-top results from taking things to their logical conclusions by wrapping them in a mythic fantasy style.

It's as if it was written specifically for me.

>> No.71969450

I really like David Gemmell. The Drenai ones best but I've never read one of his books I didn't like, although I haven't read the Jon Shannow stuff or his Iliad re-imagining.

>> No.71969486

>>71969262
I like the Lies books more just because Lynch, despite being an incurable hard lefty, manages to keep his bullshit *out* of his books instead of using them as a soap box.

>> No.71969571

>>71969486
Well hey, I hate that stuff & didn't check the author on first read but I didn't pick up on any bullshit at all. Thought it was very true to itself.

>> No.71969615

>>71966510
The series is definitely grimdark but it's still good in my opinion.

>> No.71969628

>>71964588
Cugel the Clever is one of the best protagonists in fantasy.

>> No.71969660

>>71969571
It was, and that's (one of) the thing(s) I like about it. I only realised it when I started e-stalking him to get some word on the fourth book and found a chap that wouldn't be out of place on leddit or a leftypol thread.

Compare that to Charles Stross or Ben Aaronovitch or Patrick Rothfuss or some of the authors in this thread who can't help themselves. Instead we got a solid story with a believable and intriguing world that never shattered my suspension of disbelief. Hats off to the stupid fucker in actually being an author rather than a demagogue pretending.

>> No.71970523

>>71969660
I didn't mind Rothfuss desu. I though 'A slow regard of silent things' was pretty cute & made me not dog ear the pages.

>> No.71970645

>>71940616
Hated Pillars. Really feel Faith of the Fallen was the last good thing he wrote. Me and my brother are fans of it, up until and just after Pillars. I think the jump away from Richard and Kahlan hurt it, other than that it was interesting, just not what I thought id be getting.

>> No.71970664

>>71970645
But did you like blood of the fold? Because I honestly thought that was the worst of his first 6 or so.

>> No.71970947

Oh man, I forgot about this until just now. Really cool take on the lion, the witch & the wardrobe. It's like Narnia but with sex & narcotics.

>> No.71970966

>>71970947
For anyone who just wants 'magic school', read until they graduate and Penny turns up again. For anyone who wants a really weird story about ennui and existential bullshit, well, keep reading. Shit's fucky. Just don't look up what Lev Grossman looks like, because while there's no evidence the MC is an SI, you'll have the MC enough that you'll start projecting his appearance as Grossman's.

>> No.71971663

>>71970664
I disliked the sudden ending to it. I remember reading it in high school(?), back to back for the first four, and thinking that Blood had a terribly rushed conclusion. I loved that Good kind had seeded so much in Stone of Tears and Blood of the Fold. Really made me appreciate plot progression, now that I reflect upon it. But I remember thinking that Brogan could have went further than Goodkind let him.

>> No.71972373

>>71970966
CS Lewis did it better with The Magician's Nephew, or the NICE of That Hideous Strength.

>> No.71972505

>>71958681
It was a pretty easy joke to understand. I mean, the joke was all over in media from 70s to 90s that had one kid bullying another with glasses.

>> No.71973102

>>71969213
>>71944026
>>71966510


I loved it. So many fantasy writers think they have philosophically deep thoughts to explore in their writing but fail at that, Bakker genuinely succeeds.

On top of that his characters are... well not realistic or relatable, but distinct and interesting. His lore is incredible, his elf stand-in (the non-men) are the best take on elves since they were codified by tolkien. And everything is underpinned by deep metaphysical mystery. It's fucking great.

But I totally understand the people who say it's just too grimdark and rapey. Because they are right. He takes the grimdarkness too far, and the rapey-ness way too far. The prime villains are basically rape-aliens.

It's still a fantastic series with a lot of amazing stuff in it.

>> No.71973112

>>71973102
One legged rape aliens, at that.

>> No.71973182

Not... traditional /tg/ literature because it's not sword and sorcery.
Also because it's absolute garbage

The Wastelands is a 180 book series that takes place after doomsday.
nuclear holocaust happened on Jan 1 2000, and 100 years later, people are still scrambling about trying to put civilization back together.
warlords create little barony-states

every woman is sexy
there are all sorts of mutants: stickies are... sticky, scalies are.... scaly, so on and so forth. Also some people have gnarly mental powers.
there's some time travel involved
a lot of teleportation
guns guns guns
Oh, I think there was a few books with dimensional sliding
I think there's a couple cyborgs.
the series follows a group of people as they travel the wastes of what used to be america, righting wrongs, killing bad guys and mutants, and looking for a nice place to settle down.

100% cheese. It's great, I love it.

>> No.71973966

>>71973182
I think I saw you post about it in one of the previous threads

>> No.71974019

>>71973966
Yeah, I have.
It's campy and cheesy and I like it. I think others would too.

>> No.71974132

>>71974019
Could you share an excerpt?

>> No.71974226

>>71929571
I fucking love that series.
Here, have another rec (pic related).

>> No.71974683

>>71974226
I could never decide who the biggest that guy was. The guy who ragequit out of the universe, the guy who ragequit like 50times to try and make someone pay attention or the other one who basically let the world die because they could always pop back later. In, say, a century or so. Maybe two at the outside.

>> No.71974795

>>71974132
sure

>> No.71974861

>>71960777
Only got read through the book of the new sun recently, surprised its not seen as hight tier kino by more fantasy/scifi fans

One of the most complex books ive ever read

>> No.71975036

>>71974861
It's almost universally praised though, whether IRL or online. Friend who never read Wolfe before and she pretty much declared him her favorite on the spot as far as the genre is concerned. The only few people I've seen disliking BotNS online were people who consider Wolfe to be misogynistic and Severian to be a complete psychopath who's presented as a male ideal to aspire to because he slept with multiple women during the books. It's like they never even read this properly and were just looking for the flimsiest reasons to just shit on BotNS.

>> No.71975141

>>71975036
The only issue I have with BotNS is that it makes me feel like an idiot. Like, I only the literal meaning of the prose and miss all of the complexity.

>> No.71975258

>>71958681
>>71972505
And in both the book's cultures, for bilingual bonus.

http://youtu.be/DBDSZfgh1xs

>> No.71975332

>>71972505
He didn't have anyone call him "four-eyes", he literally described him as having FOUR EYES.
Did you even read the fucking book? I did, when it first came out.

>Sure enough, when the chest had been deposited on the cobbles, the stranger reached into a pouch and there was the flash of a coin. Several coins. Gold. Blind Hugh, his body twanging like a hazel rod in the presence of water, whistled to himself. Then he nudged Wa again, and sent him scurrying off down a nearby alley into the heart of the city. When the captain walked back onto his ship, leaving the newcomer looking faintly bewildered on the quayside, Blind Hugh snatched up his begging cup and made his way across the street with an ingratiating leer. At the sight of him the stranger started to fumble urgently with his money pouch.

>“Good day to thee, sire,” Blind Hugh began, and found himself looking up into a face with four eyes in it. He turned to run…

>“!” said the stranger, and grabbed his arm. Hugh was aware that the sailors lining the rail of the ship were laughing at him. At the same time his specialised senses detected an overpowering impression of money. He froze. The stranger let go and quickly thumbed through a small black book he had taken from his belt. Then he said “Hallo.”

>“What?” said Hugh. The man looked blank.

SO STOP BLAMING JOSH KIRBY FOR TERRY PRATCHETT BEING A FUCKING SMARTARSE

>> No.71976149

>>71975332
Kind of unsure about this, but I thought the 'four eyes' thing was just outside the counter-weight contintent not knowing what glasses were + the standard four eyes joke (I think Discworld's cultures and levels of technology were still vague for the first few books).

So someone comes along and sees Twoflower and goes 'what the hell? Why's he got four eyes?' and when we read it we go 'silly person, those are glasses!'.

>> No.71976203

>>71975141
Gwern said Wolfe writes for the 'educated reader. Unfortunately, the educated reader is some who just happens to have read what Wolfe's been reading recently'.

There's guides for BotNS though that spell out the references and so on. Thinking of trying them, so you might want to check it out yourself.

>> No.71976395

>>71942896
>Read these and you can pretty much be done with your reading list:
>Lord of the Rings (Fantasy)
>Dune (Sci Fi)
The Lord of the Rings *the* seminal work of fantasy, but holy fuck is Tolkien a bad storyteller. I tried to make my way through it on three different occasions and all three times, it was The Two Towers that defeated me (though I did make it a little further each time, and was most of the way through the book the third time around). If it were merely boring, I could have plowed through it, but the further in I got, the less I respected it, and that's a combination I just can't overcome. Compare that Dune, which was so good, I essentially read in a single sitting.

>> No.71976451

>>71965724
I only read the first book and while I enjoyed it, I wish it was more focused. It's way too long and rambly, and even within the narrative of the story, things don't seem to have much of a direction for a big chunk of the book. That's why, even though I liked it, I don't think I'll be reading the sequels.

>> No.71976465

>>71973102
It's enormous levels of philoso-wank. Bakker only has something interesting to say with people more concerned with huffing farts than actual human experiences.

>> No.71976485

>>71975332
I don't think Pratchett's for you, laddy, you probably think scumble is apple juice as well

>> No.71976501

>>71976395
It's not a style for drama, no. But that's a big part of the attraction, for those who like that sort of thing: a very lyrical, poetic, scriptural kind of storytelling.

>> No.71976533

>>71956474
Speaking of covers why are they all so bad nowadays no matter the genre? I swear to god, it's like someone just cross-fades between stock pieces and adds a flashy logo only creators to charge $3000-400 for it.

>> No.71976545

>>71957709
Alright, sell Honour Harrington to me.
Because seriously, I don't get it in the slightest.

As a 'hard military sci fi' it uses too many cop outs.
As a political allegory it's too on the nose.
As waifu bait it's boring and generic.
As epic space opera it's too info dumpy.

What is it about HH that appeals? Because I honestly can't think of a single area where it stands out and makes something of itself.

>> No.71976557

>>71976395
Anon, your particular opinion of "X was boring" does not make it a bad story or told poorly. Especially when other people have different opinions.

As for the level of technique employed, I find it hard to take such an assertion seriously. How many genre authors actually manage to split up the action, but keep it focused on a day by day split and employ, through no method other than implication, how distant events affect each other when the narrative focal characters aren't aware of the distant impacts but the reader is (or at least should be)? That is not something that's easy to do, not at all. How many authors can weave together about 8 different plot lines together in a single story, and have them harmonize with each other? How many authors can showcase the different levels of culture, sophistication in a given grouping by consistent modes of dialog, complete right down to having "older" in universe cultures use anglo-saxon grammatical patterns rather than modern English ones?

>> No.71976560

>>71973182
>Not... traditional /tg/ literature because it's not sword and sorcery.
hey man, it's not like we all play fantasy.

>> No.71976568

>>71974861
I only ever see it get praised, though it frankly bored me.

>Like, I only the literal meaning of the prose and miss all of the complexity.
It's possible that was my problem, though I feel any story should be able to stand solely on the literal stuff, with underlying shit being an added but nonessential bonus.

>> No.71976664

>>71976545
Horatio Hornblower IN SPAAAAACE, and damn the torpedoes

>hard
It's not, it's super soft, wholly and solely designed to replicate Age of Sail in space
>political allegory
It's not designed to be allegory of anything other than Brits vs Frogs 1795
>waifu bait
It's not bait of any kind other than trying to replicate Horatio Hornblower, Queen's gift to women, tall, commanding, stern and yet inspiring, with a weakness for food
>epic space opera
It's nothing but fanfiction-tier bullshit that hit a chord because it was the first of it's kind

>a single area where it stands out
As the first and greatest of the Royal-Navy-fighting-Trafalgar-In-SPAAAAACE genre

>> No.71977190

>someone recommends me Gridlinked
>sells it to me by telling it's about a spy agent whose mind is interlinked with some kind of vast AI network
>get hyped for what that could possibly be
>start reading it
>the main character disconnects himself from the network of AIs because it was making him appear too inhuman/robotic
Booooo, I say booo!

>> No.71977222

>>71977190
It's probably too alien a perspective for most readers. I had a similar reaction to Ancillary Justice where the MC was an AI spread over a carrier of meat-bots but is now just a regular old singleton.

>> No.71977256

>tfw there will never be an RPG system for the quadrail books.

>> No.71977579

Has anyone else read the Traitor sun cycle series? Definitely not as deep or complex as alot of the other recommendations here, but I found it to be very enjoyable low fantasy with some gritty edge.

>> No.71979453

>>71960586
Well, his Mistborn series DOES have an official RPG...

>> No.71980794

Any short stories that are must read?

>> No.71981156

>>71980794
The Last Question.

>> No.71981437

>>71980794
The Black God's Kiss, by C. L. Moore
The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas, by Ursula K. Le Guin
Ill Met in Lankhmar, by Fritz Leiber
Queen of the Black Coast, by Robert E. Howard
Not Long Before the End, by Larry Niven
The Eye of Argon, by Jim Theis (I have included this as a sorbet, to clear the palate)
The Deathbird, by Harlan Ellison

>> No.71981492

>>71980794
Borges' Immortal and The Library of Babel.

>> No.71981881

>>71980794
I'd throw The Shadow over Innsmouth and The Call of Cthulhu in there. If you have to read two short stories to "get" the vast majority of mythos references you see in every damn RPG, it'd be them.

I'm excluding At the Mountains of Madness despite it being by far the most thorough look into the mythos stuff both because it's not a short story and because I think it ruins a lot of the mystery by just being a massive worldbuilding document.

>> No.71983788

>>71977579
Interesting, how does the magic in it work?

>> No.71984601

I liked the "The Artefacts of Power" series by Maggie Furey.
4 books:
Aurian
Harp of Winds
Sword of Flame
Dhiammara
I think it was a pretty good take on some of the ... welsh? mythology.

It also unfortunately ended extremely fucking poorly.

>> No.71984830

Try Robin Hobb's assassin series. The first trilogy is solid. It goes downhill very rapidly after. The final books has the main character as a pure passenger, with no actual agency while people do everything flr him and make his decisions. First three though? Fantastic.

>> No.71986042

>>71941828
wholesome

>> No.71988333

>>71984601
Really? Why is that?

>> No.71988924

>>71966510
To be fair, the vast majority of the rape isn't really depicted. I'm glad about this because I couldn't take seriously the epilogue of the second book (the inchoroi monster raping a woman in front of her husband and then having the husband raped by sranc, which IS a scene that's given some detail). It came across as trying too hard, and wound up laughable. On the other hand, I found that Bakker really shines when depicting the horrors of starvation, war, and exposure. The other big draw for me was that Bakker does make a solid attempt at dealing with deep, high-minded subject matter that was actually novel to me when I read it. I'm not saying that he did it well (I honestly haven't read much fiction that gets "philosophical" in the academic sense beyond just making references to well-known concepts) but I respect what he's trying to do.

That being said, I have a lot of problems with the series. In particular, the Judging Eye, being so important and mystical, is never once mentioned or alluded to before it's introduced. The same with that Nonmen Mansion the three kids get sent to. "It is the mountain that weeps. It is the weeping mountain" is a line that would have had a lot of impact if there was even a little bit of foreshadowing to give "the weeping mountain" some impact.

There's also the fact that the word "Wracu" is never brought up without it immediately being explained that it means "dragon". Why even have a weird fantasy word for something familiar if you're never going to let it go unexplained at all?

>> No.71989596

>>71976465
Case in point: I only got through the first book because I liked how Bakker depicted Achamian's friendship with Xinemus and the other soldiers. A pensive libertine who prefers to hang out with conservative soldierly types pretty much describes my relationships to most of my friends and family.

>> No.71989769

Picking up some good suggestions here since I have fuck all to do nowadays.

Here have one of my new favorites, Foundryside a place where all Magic is basically programming language of "If, then" variety. Which means that something with sapience that's a magical artifact, per say, could really screw with the system. I'm really excited to see where it goes.

>> No.71990454

>>71988333
>Why is that?
Why did I like it, or why do I think it ended poorly?
I liked it because:
Mages weren't technically human.
While there were "spells", you could pretty much do whatever you liked with a pool of magic inside you. Obviously the greater the size of the magical pool, the stronger you were.
Most of the magic they did was unconscious:
unconsciously resisting aging
unconsciously adapting their bodies when underwater (they couldn't be drowned)
unconsciously understanding any spoken language.
Spells were actual things, but they were mostly rituals that combined naturally occurring in the world magic with personal caster's magic.

Dragons "spoke" in pulses of multicolored light and ate gems and sunlight.

it ended poorly because while some plot points were resolved (main character's curse lifted, magical weapon finally attuned to destined wielder, original villains deposed) other plot points were left wholly ignored:
extradimensional fey creatures loosed upon an unsuspecting world (whoops!)
the arrival of a half-mage half-fey (what does that spell for the world?)
Races previously unable to use magic suddenly able to learn and use magic (this is actually a big deal)
An entire race enslaved at the very end of the book (whoops!)
An entire race of living, breathing mountains with souls and personalities waking up and threatening to walk the world once more (ignored)

Like I said, overall it was a good series. Unfortunately, I feel like it wasn't written to a proper conclusion because important side plots and events that were mentioned as relevant, important, and urgent were suddenly just "series over, go home."

Furey went on to write some other interesting but unrelated series, and then died.

>> No.71992429

>>71948059
Anything like the Laundry Files in that they manage to preserve the feeling of Lovecraftian horror and magic while avoiding the premise of a secret government agency or too much SJW stuff? The Ninth House was pretty great, but it was very far from Lovecraft.

>> No.71992840

>>71960777
Wolfe is one of the only SFF writers who can legitimately be considered and unironic great writer. I put his works alongside any of the highly critically praised writers post ww2. He is just as good, and in many ways, better than Pinecone, corncob, Wallace, etc.

Most SFF neckbeards don’t read him much because he reads and writes more like Proust, Melville, or Joyce than Tolkien, Howard, or Asimov.

>> No.71993126

>>71948006
Spice and Wolf

>> No.71994097

>>71993126
One of those rare legitimately interesting things. It's a bit basic economics but it's genuinely fun and interesting with living characters.

>> No.71994770

>>71994097
So would you reccomend reading it? Are the english translations any good?

>> No.71994855

>>71994770
It's honestly average for an LN, but yeah, I'd recommend it. The anime isn't bad either.

>> No.71995452

>>71989769
Interested, can you please tell us more?

>> No.71995459

>>71976485
It was a badly executed joke, and I was reading Pratchett before you were a spermatozoon, you fat sack of crap.

>> No.71995525

>>71977579
i fucking love those books. I really want to know how so many of the company got their names.

>> No.71995592

>>71983788
It's a combination of mental constructs, will power, divine, all sorts of concepts depending on the mage, with some becoming adept with other schema as time passes.
What's really neat are the ideas of ops, potentia and apotheosis, the first two of which're like a difference between raw magic juice and you've actually built with it or are capable of building with it? apotheosis is the idea that if a mortal caster gets enough potentia they become angels? part of magic? it's tricky to explain.

Also the magic can have "colours" which indicate what it is or who can use it, but that changes as casters explore their limits, or surpass them.

>> No.71998742

>>71995592
>Also the magic can have "colours" which indicate what it is or who can use it, but that changes as casters explore their limits, or surpass them.
Can you tell us more about the colors, please?

>> No.71999540

>>71998742
most human casters default to gold, which seems to be quite a structured form, they have mind casting rooms where they go to construct castings, which they can trigger sequentially or stash for later and things like that, it's also possible to have an other entity live in your mind place, which can backfire if they're powerful and unscrupulous.
They can also join these places up to meet other mages via them, host sapient constructs and even attack other casters through theirs, if they can gain access.

The other "good" colour is green, which is associated with the Wild, which is basically sapient nonhumans of half a dozen types, but it turns out humans can use green and the wild can use gold, the wild is a much more instinctual place, so green magic tends to be auras and willpower, but also includes shapeshifting and so forth.

The other major ones are black ad red, they're only heavily used by antagonists so we don't really see how they operate, but black is necromantic, transformative and possessive and can be used by humans.
Red only crops up as used in pure elemental (fire) form, but the user manages possession, shapeshifting & evocation, so it seems relatively flexible.

All seem keyed off environments/species, at one stage late in the series they visit a location with a dead civilisation and it only has black ops to draw from.

The 'gods', who are also dragons, seem to be able to ignore colours, or even manifest their own ops, being much more juiced on magic, as well as able to retreat from physical reality to a purely magical one should they so choose.
the ultimate bad guy does this at the end of the series, it proves a poor choice.

Honestly, the magic is clever, the fight scenes and the company are OG, the mythological hooks are everywhere and there's a character named Wilful Murder. Great books.

>> No.72002306

>>71999540
>but it turns out humans can use green and the wild can use gold,
Can someone use both at once?

>> No.72002482

>>71977579
>not as deep

It's well-written, and you can tell the author put effort into thinking about semi-realistic culture, daily life, attitudes, fighting, etc.

>> No.72002538

>>72002306
Australian rugby wizards.

>> No.72005956

One of my favorite fantasy schlock series is the Obsidian Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey.
Really nice magic system, and the villains are the best part.

>> No.72005967

>>72002538
Seriously?

>> No.72006334

>>71943873
Solid list, anon, but just out of curiosity, why no Philip K Dick?

>> No.72006375

>>71995459
>I don't understand the joke
>It must be executed badly

>> No.72006493

>>72005967
Green and gold are the wallabies' colours, and how else could they gang rape that many people while doing that much cocaine if they weren't wizards?

>> No.72007185

>>71960842
especially in books 2 and 3

>> No.72007494

I was, and still am, a big fan of Timothy Zhan's Triplet.
The setting is a space opera type setting, where an alien world is discovered where there is a gate leading to a different world, a world where technology is FAR more advanced than it is in the base world, but society is very midevil. (one of the characters is almost burned at the stake for witchcraft)
On that world is another gate, leading to another world where magic works. Spells are carried out by summoning a spirit and giving it a task. Once it has carried out that task it returns to where it came from.

>> No.72007989

>>71965550
>Liu Cixin's three body problem is the posterchild for 21st-century chinese science fiction.

It's too bad the CCP got to him after Three Body became a success. It's pretty clear they didn't like the political criticism running through the book, especially the idea that the aliens' history was supposed to be a parallel to China's own history: a series of nightmarish upheavals that gradually tore away their empathy.

>> No.72008074

>>71944026
>>71944172
>>71973102
I loved Bakker too, mainly because he actually succeeds in being grimdark rather than "lol grimdark" where you have a comedy talking fairy/animal character cracking jokes. The entire cosmology of the series is grimdark, and there's very little hope for anyone, even in death.

It's a very unusual for a fantasy series. Even Malazan, which is touted as *the* grimdark series, has goofy fuckers like Krupp doing silly shit every other page.

>> No.72008532

>>71948104
I'll second that, not /tg/ related but really quite good
People love the manga too but I don't think it quite did the book justice but it's also fairly long . My copy is 600 pages and it's not a mass market paperback

>> No.72009669

>>72007494
Can spells retain their effects in the other worlds?

>> No.72010829

The Ninth House. Yale, all the secret societies are preppy wizards, one extra house is there to stop them going overboard, and they do this with the power of broke boarding school kids and reformed fentanyl addicts.

>> No.72013025

>>72010829
Anything else?

>> No.72013211

>>72013025
Nothing quite like that. For Urban Fantasy you can try The Laundry Files (A spy novel about a government agency in the UK that deals wiht lovecraftian nonsense), Rivers of London (Recruited for a UK wizard police), and the ever excellent LIbrary at Mount Char, though that's more a fever dream than urban fantasy.

For fantasy that I enjoyed, try The Etched City by KJ Bishop and China MIeville's Bas-Lag series, which is better talked about in this post: >>71938871

For Pulp fantasy, try The Redemption of Althalus. It's written by David Eddings, so you know what you're getting into.

Lukyanenko's Night Watch books are incredibly russian and incredibly weird, filled with translation artefacts from things that I'm sure are pointed to appeal to another culture. Fun stuff, though. Good and Evil magicians have a pact, where the good watches the night creatures and the evil watches the good creatures during the night/day, respectively, as polices. (Also it has a fucking weird movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRVN2nPOi14 . A man pulls out his spine and uses it to beat a bus.)

Ian Irvine is a 'workman' fantasy author. Everyone is always outmatched, everyone is always badly hurt, and there's always something terrible going on. Start with the View from the Mirror quartet, and then he writes a fairly bleak quartet after that where humanity is busy losing a war with angry pterodactyls from the first quartet that someone let loose incidentally, and they have 'breeding factories', where you get in and dump a months pay on to try and knock up a whore to bear your child for the war effort. Secret policemen, caste-guilds, the whole thing is bizarre and fun. Also a man makes an imaginary magic crystal and explodes it into his brain. There's another few AFTER those 8, but I've never read them.

Donna Tart's The Secret History is also pretty solid, but I won't spoil it. Not very TG, though.

>> No.72013281

>>72013211
>night watch

Oh, and it turns out Bruce Lee didn't die, he just turned into a tiny dragon and beats up foreigners in hong kong. Tidbit, but I loved it.

>> No.72013322

>>71929571

What books are you looking forward to the most, /tg/?

>> No.72013457

>>72006375
You only understand it because you read the book after you had it explained to you.
The descriptive passage says explicitly that he had four eyes. For the joke to work, Pratchett would have had to mention glasses. If you had read the books in the right order, or at all, instead of skimming a summary, you'd understand that.
You've already committed the lit-crit equivalent of shitting your pants, you don't have to smear it all over your face and mouth to convince us you're retarded.

>> No.72013470

>>71976545
I don't have to sell it to you. You either read it or you don't, you either like it or you don't, you big fucking baby.

>> No.72013549

>>71939177
Yes to both

>> No.72013795

>>72009669
well... It turns out that the beings that made the gates also built the 2 worlds as well, so as to keep the demons that live in the 4th world, the ones that are summoned to do spells on the 3rd world, from getting loose. The bad guy is summoning a demon by name to world 2 so he can memorize the circuit layouts and sell those on the main world. In exchange the bad guy will then start summoning demons to the main world once he has enough money.

>> No.72013824

>>71929571
Is Ringworld overhyped on /TG/? I read it a while ago and thought it was decent (although the Genetically Lucky Girl was kinda spooky in an ennui way)

Oh, and are there any other Prachett fans that like his Long Earth trilogy? I’m pretty enthusiastic about it but i haven’t seen a ton about it online
For anyone that doesn’t know it, it’s a soft near future Sci Fi book where a scientist discovers a way to jump universes either “East” or “West”, the design for the machine is basically a potato clock and it gets leaked onto the internet, the books mainly deal with the alternate universes the MC sees (that are all devoid of Humans/similar Hominids and get weirder the “Farther” you get away from the main earth), the MC is a guy who can naturally jump universes and was technically born in an alternate Earth and he ends up travelling in a blimp with a Vending Machine AI that thinks it’s a Tibetan Bicycle Repairist, it’s a pretty fun trilogy in my opinion although the third one isn’t as good

Speaking of jumping alternate universes, did anyone ever read a YA book where the MC was a kid who could “walk” to different universes, he ended up joining an Interdimensional agency made up of himself, there was two evil empires made up of Sci Fi nerds on one side and Mages on the other and they both used the MC as a power source to jump dimensions
I remember reading it and wondering why he never tried to fuck a female version of himself

>> No.72013863

>>72013824
I honestly got bored of the Long Earth trilogy around the mars book? The one before the long cosmos. The MC mysteriously developed a complete lack of brain and did whatever his dad wanted, no real tension, no real goals. I liked the idea.

>> No.72013883

>>72013863
Holy shit I had no idea there were more books, I’ll probably never read post Mars kinda seemed like a good stopping place personally

>> No.72013903

>>72013863
Huh, just checked the wiki for them, kinda seem like they ran out of ideas by the Third one

I thought the idea that mankind eventually spreads out across an infinite amount of worlds to the point where no government can oversee them was really neat

>> No.72013945

>>71994770
>Are the english translations any good?

Problem with LNs isn't really the translation, it's the fact 95% of them are written on level worse than your average fan fiction. Whatever actually gets [officially] translated is usually a notch above to begin with and you're there for the premise or interesting idea. I still remember the outrage about the new cover.

>> No.72014018

>>71948006
I find this one highly entertaining.

>> No.72014049

>>72014018
At least SOME of the novels are translated and there's a complete anime adaptation. I was surprised to hear Vampire Hunter D is entirely available in English, though. Shame that Guin Saga, longest running and arguably the best piece of pure fantasy literature to come out of Japan, is barely translated.

>> No.72014060

>>72014049
logh novels are now all available in english

>> No.72014523

>>71951454
The commonwealth saga is my favourite series

>> No.72014593

>>72014523
Myo's a dick, but she's unintentionally funny.

>> No.72014639

>>72014593

The series in general was uplifting, looking at a possible bright future for humanity was refreshing. Until they poked things with space sticks.

The prime aliens were genius too.

>> No.72014671

>>72014639
Hamilton's a bit of a genius with that. If you get a chance, there's a set of short stories called A Second Chance at Eden set in the Night's Dawn universe. It even touches on Joshua's father and it turns out Josh wasn't lying when he told Ione that Lady Macbeth was wrecked when his dad was hired by people prospecting for gold asteroids who were actually pirates looking for uranium, then discovering an alien wreck with time travel devices in it
I didn't mind his next set in the series either, though it was a little more cerebral. Gore was a treat all the way through. I didn't mind the Salvation Sequence book 1, but I haven't been able to make myself finish book 2 yet.

>> No.72014693

>>71950877
I fuckin hate Asimov. He is bad, and all who like him are my enemy. Jew.

>> No.72014746

>>72002306
yes, very early on we see casters equally adept with both, but it's not something expected of humans to be adept with green as it's regarded as the magic of monsters.
Using both simultaneously however is a very high end trick and the few casters who pull it off are a nasty shock to the powers that be.
>>72002538
the world's eternal also-ran rugby team has no relation to the traitor son cycle, especially as most australians can't read. now get out and take your shit jerseys with you.

>> No.72014825

>>72014746
Tough shit, I'm stuck here. You go back to wherever you came from, and our superior coked up athletes will be along to deliver you a good kicking shortly.

>> No.72014833

>>72014018
The books don't fuck around about who (((Phezzan))) are...

>> No.72014863

Does anybody have a black library mega? I've been looking for some reads to pass the quarantine with

>> No.72014948

>>72013211
>Laundry Files
Hilarious stuff

>>72013457
Seethe, retardo

>> No.72015089

>>72014671

Gore was great. I forced myself to read the salvation books but don't like them at all. Too much current affairs related to it.

>> No.72015150

>>71960777
>I love some of his works, like Latro
I was going to mention. New Sun still my favourite, with Long Sun trailing third.

>> No.72015172

>>72015089
Discovering who the alien was actually shocked me. He's good like that.

I think the problem with them is the dual stream pace. The future aspect in the first book is slow, dull. The girl has a point about being bred to be slaves, though. She gives in to it eventually too. In the second book, the present timeline is just watching things go to shit and the future timeline is the rather anemic exposition. He's got a real story there, it's just the structure.

And yeah, the omnia are dumb.

>> No.72015215

>>72014863
I think there's a link in the OP of /wfb/ general here on /tg/

>> No.72015220

>>71929571
Fantasy has gotten really strange in the last two year. Popular books kind of suck, but cheap ebooks from no name authors are getting better.

>"They called me the Bitch Queen, the she-wolf, because I murdered a man and exiled my king the night before they crowned me."

>> No.72015373

>>71974861
>surprised its not seen as hight tier kino by more fantasy/scifi fans
but it is

>> No.72015408

>>71995459
>outing yourself as a boomer
>deliberately
for what purpose

>> No.72015440

I'm just finishing up the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks. It's nothing spectacular, but I've enjoyed it for the most part. The first four books are significantly better the second time round - my first read through I almost dropped the series more times than I can count.

Alternatively, Brent Weeks' other series, the Night Angel Trilogy, whilst the darling of my teen years is impossible to read any more. It's just bad.

>> No.72015526

>>72015172

Here's hoping he returns to the commonwealth. I assume you've read the following 5 books after pandoras star and judas unchained? They took me a while to get into but i loved them after a while. They are set a thousand or so years after judas.

>> No.72015543

>>72013824
>Is Ringworld overhyped on /TG/? I read it a while ago and thought it was decent (although the Genetically Lucky Girl was kinda spooky in an ennui way)
I don't really see it getting hyped on /tg/ all that often, although I share your appraisal. It's enjoyable, but hardly brilliant. It's more or less generic schlock sci-fantasy adventure.

That being said, I love the ship name of "Lying Bastard' and the reason behind it.

>> No.72015634

>>72015543
I kinda feel like it’s generic schlock now, because it kinda became the basis for a lot of future sci fi
Personally, I like the mechanics of a Ring-World and how it’s all puzzled out over the course of the story

>> No.72015642

if it's not literary then it's shit
this is actually the truth

>> No.72015884

>>72015526
I have, though I honestly don't remember all of the stuff about Nigel in the void. Something I mostly skimmed through. Some of it felt superfluous, like the Multiple Mr Bovey Orgy, but whatever. It's Hamilton, he's sweaty and a ginger.

Actually, now I think about it, Mzu and Myo were both good. I hope it becomes a thing, actually. Not sure where the commonwealth series could go. Maybe an extragalactic colony or something. Or develop the gaiafield some - I'd honestly read his take on a group of anarchoprims who figured out more of the gaiafield, similar to how Ozzy did before he just noped out of the universe, stopped its beacons, etc, so it was purely based in the person and became a quasi-psychic thing. A stripped down version of his Edenists, watching the development from their origins.

>> No.72017067

>>72015884

Yeah a story involving the colonies would be good. Maybe one with a lower tech level as some left before they cracked Biononics I think.

>> No.72017140

>>72015408
Gen X, thanks for proving you're innumerate as well as illiterate.
You wanna try for incontinent next?

>> No.72017181

>>72014948
Hardly a rebuttal. But don't feel sad for having nothing to say, you could always write for White Wolf.

>> No.72017221

>>72017140
lol my gen x dad doesn't understand it when we call him a boomer either

>> No.72017273

>>72014693
Why don't you go back to Heinlein, then?
Fucken' nazi furfags.

>> No.72017886

>>71981881
I'd agree with this. To get most of how Lovecraft has disseminated into tabletop culture, The Call of Cthulhu and The Shadow Over Innsmouth are essential.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action