Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

/vt/ is now archived.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 122 KB, 307x354, 1495512882836.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55992609 No.55992609 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

>xDDD Le ebin high charisma bard fucks le barmaid maymay
I'm not going to question why this stale trope comes up every single time because that's kind of obvious, I'm instead going to question why bards and other "womanizers" are allowed to get away with it. Think about it, most D&D campaigns don't take place in THE CURRENT YEAR no matter how hard you try to interject your identity politics into it, they take place in the Middle Ages. Let me point out a few problems with the womanizing bard x lusty barmaid meme.

>The barwench slept with a man she doesn't even know
>In a tight, social community where honor trumps everything
Good job, everyone in her community has now branded her a whore. But wait, it gets better
>There are no contraceptives
>Nor reliable means to tell who's the father if she does this more than once
So now she's socially ostracized AND with child. But wait, it gets even fucking better
>There's no father to provide for her
>There's no respectable jobs she can do anymore
>There's no welfare system
So now she's socially ostracized AND with child AND impoverished. It's now in the best interests of the barwench to appoint the bard her babydaddy and milk him for every penny he's got. But wait, it gets even motherfucking shitdicking better
>The bard has done this multiple times
Do I even want to imagine how many pregnant ladies the average xDDDD womanizer bard has on his ass at any given time? Maybe that's his motivation for hunting down the BBEG: he needs to loot the Dark Lord's throneroom so he can pay alimony instead of going to jail and/or being executed.

tl;dr: Be more like the paladin, he knows that bitches ain't shit.

>> No.55992634

>>55992609
Every thread deserves at least one reply, and you worked so hard for it.

>> No.55992856

If you work under the assumption she is already the town whore that works at the bar and fucks customers for extra coin your issues fade away. Just imagine the bard seduced her and so didn't need to pay. Being the town bicycle means she also already knows how to deal with unwanted pregnancy as well.

Most prostitutes irl are either people that moved to a town or city or already live in a very large city. They do this mostly out of shame because they don't want everyone they grew up around knowing what they do (unless they were already known for acting in such a way).

>> No.55992971
File: 57 KB, 960x949, 1456354472957.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>I'm instead going to question why bards and other "womanizers" are allowed to get away with it
Honestly, in most of my games, they don't. Their antics usually get them in some kind of trouble that follows them throughout the campaign, like a batshit crazy yandere chick that decides to stalk the womanizer, or the vindictive lover the womanize stole the girl from. And honestly, it makes the game more fun.

That said, most of the things you listed aren't really a problem. Honor doesn't really trump everything in most of our settings, and contraception exists, either through magical or alchemical means. Hell, even ways to identify the father exist. We once had a druid who quite literally conjured up a family tree for an NPC with a ritual. Had names and pictures on the leaves and everything.

And hell, not all paladins necessarily have to be chaste. Different vows, different orders, and different religions and shit.

tl;dr: Shit depends on your setting.

>> No.55993221

>>55992609
There were whores. And aborions and contraceptives (semi-useful ones). There was some extramartial sex (try reading novels from the Decameron). Also, there was syphillys. Lots of it. You make a decent case for extramartial sex being much more difficult, but do not fall into the trap of thinking in absolutes.

>> No.55993318

>>55992609

>no contraceptives

condoms have existed since roman times and medicinal contraceptives for even longer.

>No means to tell whose the father

'gee he has pointy ears and red hair, I wonder which outsider it was, the orc or the half-elf bard hmm...'

>no respectable job she can do anymore

Because barmaid is so respectable???

>no welfare system

There's no welfare system for anyone in the middle ages (unless you count nobles redistributing resources but i doubt you did), so does that make having any children at all unethical?

>> No.55993386

>>55992609
>le ebin fighter swings sword at dragon maymay

>"everyone in her community has branded her a whore!"

Having sex with a person you find attractive makes you a whore? Should everyone be "pure" like you, anon?

You seem to have a personal vendetta against female sexuality. Mind elaborating?

>> No.55993419
File: 53 KB, 640x640, 8ab[2].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55993386
>Fornication wasn't frowned upon in the middle ages

>> No.55993442

>>55993419
Yet people fornicated anyways.

>> No.55993478

>>55992609
The barmaid is probably a prostitute in the first place.

>> No.55993484

>>55993442
And they got branded whores for doing so. Now we're full circle again.

>> No.55993512
File: 280 KB, 434x700, IMG_1309.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>instead of womanizing, ebin high charisma bard sneaks off to enjoy private time with the local fancy lads
There, better?

>> No.55993525

>>55992609
You are assuming the bard does this in a town where he lives or visits very often.
Usually the bard fucks the barmaid from some town he is going through and probably doesn't plan to ever visit again and depending on how much of a dick he is he could give the barmaid a fake name so he can't be traced.
Even then, what's stopping him from insisting the child isn't his? It's not like the barmaid can really prove it or send someone to bring him back and force him to marry him and even if she has a bunch of buff brothers or something I doubt they can do anything against your average player party unless the party turns against the bard.
So yeah, it would be a bad situation for the poor barmaid but the bard would probably get away with it just like how people get away with it in the current year.

>> No.55993531
File: 81 KB, 393x335, transfer pregnancy.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>the barmaid was a witch who wanted to get a baby born from a hero's seed to make some kind of twisted monster, or just casting pic related on the bard for a laugh

Will my group walk out on me if I do this?

>> No.55993548

>>55993531
I would like to meet the wizard who came up with that spell.

>> No.55993556

>>55992609
Despite being verbose, you still don't really rise above the general pretending-to-be-retarded sewer of /tg/ bait.

>> No.55993565

>>55992609
>Middle Ages

More like the Renaissance, but you're still retarded in either case.

>implying maids and wenches are the same thing
>implying pagan cultures have Christian social mores
>implying there are no contraceptives, especially in a setting with magic
>implying that conception occurs 100% of the time
>implying infanticide and abortion aren't easy and common solutions
>implying any respectable family wouldn't just try to sweep it all under the rug

I get it, you're sick of the bard being a retarded man-whore. But there's better ways of dealing with that than poorly thought out pseudo-realism.

>> No.55993581

>>55993565
But without poorly thought out pseudo realism, how will he feel smugly superior to everyone else?

>> No.55993584

>>55992609
wow protestant morality is one heck of a drug

people knew how to make condoms out of animal bladders

>> No.55993593

>honor trumps everything
>no contraceptives
>no means to tell who the father is
>no respectable jobs she can do
>no welfare system

That's a lot of assumptions about the setting. Many of those do not apply to most D&D worlds.

>> No.55993597

>>55992609
A high charisma bard is gonna be getting almost any pussy/dick that happens to have caught their eye. Not to mention lust tends to drown out everything else, logic included, and that yes, women feel lust as well.

>> No.55993621

>>55993318
>>no welfare system
>There's no welfare system for anyone in the middle ages (unless you count nobles redistributing resources but i doubt you did), so does that make having any children at all unethical?

That's actually a good point you bring up there. The church and the local lord would probably see to it she was never lacking food, or even the owner of the bar. Seeing how she probably BELONGS to him. The means of social support did exist back then, and no one was really facing the world in their lonesome.

>> No.55993654

>>55992609
I wanna creampie Marcille even though she's got those funky ears. Reaction faces just turn me on!

>> No.55993696

>>55993621
Not to mention if a nearby dragon/lich/mad sorcerer was recently slain, she may or may not be carrying the spawn of a mid to high level murderhobo. That's something to keep an eye on.

>> No.55993711

>>55993565
>>55993584
>protestant cultures are literally the only ones who have ever looked down on sex outside of marriage
boi

>> No.55993879

>>55992609
>2srs4u
tldr.

>> No.55993916
File: 29 KB, 396x400, You'reWrong.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55992609
>No means of contraception at all
There have been various means of contraception since roman times, including at least one herb so effective that the romans drove it extinct trying to use it for their reckless fucking
>Honor trumps everything
This is a myth. Honor was far more important than it is today, but it was hardly the first thing on everyone's minds. Especially with peasantry, who didn't have much honor to begin with or much use for whatever it got them.
She could still find a husband. It would be exponentially more difficult/expensive, but she wouldn't be incredibly out of luck. And her parents would be there regardless, to put the child to work in the fields as soon as he was able. Most likely, any bastard grandchildren would be raised as her mothers brat.
That hardly stops sluts from slutting. Also, the welfare system was your kids, so she has at least one person to provide for her in her old age, assuming she wants to carry the child to term and doesn't die during the birth of it.

This kind of thing happened all over. It sucked for the maid, but it still happened the same way it does now to dumb bitches who can't stop slutting at whatever goes for the local club.

>> No.55993953

>>55993711
in general it's a "butthurt traditionalists invent new traditions to be extra-butthurt about" thing. honor culture is, well, for the honored and never really applied to the majority until they got their retarded WE WUZ NAYGHTS flavor of liberalism's "you're special too!" thesis.

the barmaid will after a few-month pause continue making money hand-over-fist supplying the comforts of home, what we'd in the modern era call a GFE, to travelers. now she has a helper to rifle through their packs at the same time.

>> No.55993986
File: 41 KB, 498x585, c8067f152c9485c03abd9d714baaa107--brugge-pilgrimage.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55993419
It kinda wasn't.
No one really gave a shit until the underclasses could afford to start dividing their homes into multiple rooms and the general public developed a sense of privacy and personal space.

Even the church handed out novelty fornication themed badges for pilgrims to collect

>> No.55993996

>>55992609
>tavern in a big city
>tight, social community
Umm
>no contraceptives
Pull out, bitch.
>no respectable jobs will take her
She’s a bar maid, when did she start looking for respectable jobs?

>> No.55994008

>>55993916
single parent also wasn't as much of a disqualifier in the past. more men died at work and more women died in childbed, so there were a lot more widow(er)s of marriageable age; children were a profit rather than a loss within a few years so you could still have your genetic lineage easily; it was easier to get away with shanking the little buggers if they were intolerable; and in any case you were effectively marrying into the only pension you'd ever see.

>> No.55994034

>>55993711
Sure, everyone's looked down at whores since time immemorial, but Protestants certainly took it a lot more seriously than the Catholics. And both were more serious than the Romans and the Greeks.

In any case, respectable people often just swept it under the rug to the best of their ability. These things happen regardless of time and place and it's not like the entire community lost their shit every single time. I'd wager that the vast majority of adultery ended in little more gossip and rumors.

>> No.55994060

>>55993879
TLDR and inaccurate.

>> No.55994061

>>55992609
Just give the bard maid 100 gp. Probably more money than she's seen in her life but it's pocket change for an adventurer.

>> No.55994064

>>55993419
>i support when other people don't get to have sex
>i-i'm n-not a virgin guys
>h-hey look, see, i have a fedora picture to prove it

You sad soul.

Get fucked. Literally.

>> No.55994079

>>55992609
>BBEG uses polymorph to get pregnant with the baby of every man in the kingdom
>wrecks kingdom's economy with alimony payments
Puuurfect...

>> No.55994081

>>55992609
>I'm not going to question why this stale trope comes up every single time because that's kind of obvious, I'm instead going to question why bards and other "womanizers" are allowed to get away with it.
It's a power fantasy. The fantasy bit makes all logic and reason secondary when it comes to "comedy" segments.

>> No.55994086

>>55994061
Hell, she could probably get by with 10 GP for a good while.

>> No.55994094

>>55992609
Use a spell to freeze the bar maid and put her your bag of holding. Got collect them all am I right?

>> No.55994124

>>55994079
>mentally read that in a villain's voice and included a maniacal laugh

my sides have gone nuclear

>> No.55994147

>>55992609
>>The barwench slept with a man she doesn't even know
Historically most bar-wenches were prostitutes.

>>In a tight, social community where honor trumps everything
Making some big assumptions there. She's a fucking peasant, honor does not apply to her.

>Good job, everyone in her community has now branded her a whore. But wait, it gets better
They branded her a whore the moment she got a job as a bar-wench. Drop the modern morality.

>>There are no contraceptives
She either gets abortifacient herbs from the local wise woman, or she abandons the kid. Stop projecting modern social mores like the sanctity of childbirth onto the past.

>>Nor reliable means to tell who's the father if she does this more than once
Why would it matter, she's a whore.

>So now she's socially ostracized AND with child. But wait, it gets even fucking better
>>There's no father to provide for her
No, but lots of Johns if she does want to rase the bastard.

>>There's no respectable jobs she can do anymore
She already works as a barwench and a whore

>>There's no welfare system
She dosn't need welfare because she has two jobs

>So now she's socially ostracized AND with child AND impoverished. It's now in the best interests of the barwench to appoint the bard her babydaddy and milk him for every penny he's got. But wait, it gets even motherfucking shitdicking better
Some whores do approach the suspected father if they think they can get rich off of it, this is rarely successful so usually they don't.

>>The bard has done this multiple times
As did many important historical figures. Read a book sometime.

>Do I even want to imagine how many pregnant ladies the average xDDDD womanizer bard has on his ass at any given time?
No, because they either abandon the kid, or raise it as a bastard. Where do you think all those level 1 rogues come from.

>> No.55994271

>a setting with dragons, magic, wizards, and demons
>condoms are unthinkable

bruv

>> No.55994309
File: 2.95 MB, 544x960, tendie_drift.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55992609
>barmaid is a low rent wench that fucks vagrants
>gets punished for making dumb decisions
Good. Why should the king use my tax money to pay for bastards and whores?

>> No.55994321

>>55994309
Because he has his own bastard and whore to use your tax money to pay for L M A O

>> No.55994335
File: 64 KB, 720x877, hmmms.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55993419
>ultra conservative backwards victorian thought
>people have 8 kids

>free progressive sexual revolution
>people have 1 kid when they're 40, and a dog

>> No.55994336

>>55992609
Sell the bar maid into slavery.

>> No.55994362

>>55994321
what did he mean by this

>> No.55994364

Make the bard a pimp.

>> No.55994401

>>55992609
Clearly the moral solution is to murder the barmaid once he is done with her. That solves all the issues you mentioned.

>> No.55994419

>>55992609
>>There's no welfare system
>So now she's socially ostracized AND with child AND impoverished. It's now in the best interests of the barwench to appoint the bard her babydaddy and milk him for every penny he's got. But wait, it gets even motherfucking shitdicking better
>>The bard has done this multiple times
>Do I even want to imagine how many pregnant ladies the average xDDDD womanizer bard has on his ass at any given time? Maybe that's his motivation for hunting down the BBEG: he needs to loot the Dark Lord's throneroom so he can pay alimony instead of going to jail and/or being executed.
Do you know how much adventurers make? His children will eat like kings. Honestly if you are a male adventurer and you don't have what basically amounts to a harem of side bitches that you regularly impregnate then what are you fucking doing?
It really should be the goal of every adventurer to fuck a dragon though because that way your kids are guaranteed to win the genetic lottery. Super strong, super smart, and lives for hundreds of years? No reason not to try.

>> No.55994426

Can the bard marry multiple people? Can people eat horse feed? Take the bar maid with you. Use her like a pack mule.

>> No.55994430

>>55994335
The birthrate in all developed countries is abysmal and the birthrate in almost every country on the planet is dropping, most at a pretty good clip.

It seems to be a resource thing. As farming continues to improve, opening up new land at higher efficiencies, people have access to more food and fewer people need to farm to support the society. Which leads them to other pursuits, like blacksmithing, accounting, fucking anime body-pillows, and artistry.

This causes problems with the old power because it's a lot easier to keep a dispersed, uneducated, dirt-farming population subjugated than it is to keep a urban, modern society quiet. I mean look at the shit we yell at each other about in America! Gay rights? The fact that that's one of our biggest issues is a sign we don't need to give a fuck about anything actually important anymore.

Now if only we could convince people about global warming - if we can survive the next century or century and a half, we'll have cleared the gap into functional indestructibility as a whole.

>> No.55994435

>>55994309
I hope next time he puts it in park and steps out, the thing rolls just rolls into traffic.

>> No.55994452
File: 2.11 MB, 5142x4563, IMG_1888.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55992609
Forgot STDs too. I make my players roll if they fuck a wench. Roll a 1 and you're probably gonna take a permanent -1 to Con, Cha, or Dex depending on the disease.

>> No.55994461
File: 166 KB, 650x550, 1506508594363.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

What if he really likes her and stays with her? Than it's cute?

What if he was just afraid of dying because he was going off to fight the necromancer the next day, so had a fling, and when he survives the fight and is able to return the next day, he's so overcome with a new lease on life that he's immediately asks to marry her and he settles down and lives happily.

What if he loves the idea of a wife and son at home while he's off adventuring, and returning home to them as often as he can brings him more joy than a million treasure filled rooms?

>> No.55994471

>>55994430
>We'll have cleared the gap into functional indestructibility as a whole.
I think you underestimate how delicate civilization is.

>> No.55994477

Bar maid becomes camp follower.

>> No.55994532

>>55992609
Bards are basically touring rock-stars.

If you're this angry about not getting laid, you could just go pay a prostitute. I'd recommend getting a girlfriend, but based on your post, I think it's out of the question.

>> No.55994545

>>55994419
>My mother is a dragon
"and your father?"
>...was a very brave man

fucking kek

>> No.55994552

>>55994034
>And both were more serious than the Romans and the Greeks.
Romans took family values rather seriously actually. Like there seems to be a meme where Romans were peak degeneracy but that is rather meme level as they also had this debate where the new romans were disgusting degenerates who forgot the meaning of family values.
social development is not a slope, its a mountain range.

>> No.55994563

>>55994471
In the next century or so, it's reasonable to expect that we could colonize other solar system bodies to at least a breeding population, if not more. It's actually possible now, it's just super-expensive. I'm not riding Elon Musk's dick, but he does actually have a shot at getting to Mars.

DESU I'd be on the rocket if I had the shot. But I'd also not expect to survive; Musk is pretty ambitious and has a kind of ego. Thankfully, unlike most narcissists, he doesn't feed his ego with meaningless platitudes, but actually tries to do shit to make him feel like he deserves it.

I expect proper colonization of Mars to take place after asteroid mining on NEOs takes place. I'd plate a ship with Iridium if I were making an interplanetary transport. Then the orbital transports can be relatively unshielded and nobody gets cancer and dies horribly.

>> No.55994570

>>55992609
Use a bard spell to make it look like she killed herself.

>> No.55994593

>>55994552
I'd characterize it as a ball of gas in deep space. No matter what you do, eventually you're flying out of the ball and devolving into degeneracy. It's just a matter of implementing policies that keep you in the ball longer. Which generally implies contact with other cultures.

>> No.55994598

>>55994335
Can I have 8 kids AND a Dog?

>> No.55994600

>>55994563
Yeah man everything fine we're going to space elevator thread. Ray Kurzweil 2070 google glass implants hyperloop to work. free zero point energy power prostate stimjob androids

>> No.55994630

>>55994598
Yeah. If you're so breaded you can feed 8 kids you can afford a dog.

>> No.55994639

>>55994600
...I mean, we could just stick around on Earth until entropic forces or the immortal soul of Kim Jong Un kills us all and leaves our remnants a cooling mass on a cold rock in a dead system

Or we could not be pointlessly pessimistic and do some HFY shit like we don't give a fuck.

What benefits does being pessimistic about space provide us?

>> No.55994683

>>55993419
You've fallen for a Victorian era meme buddy.

>> No.55994710

>>55994630
Feed the kids to the dog. Infant mortality and all that.

>> No.55994721

>>55994639
It just seems immature to masturbate over futurism when the seeds of chaos have already taken root and nobody in the political sphere seems interested in addressing them. You seem to be under the impression that we've already basically achieved utopia, and all that's left to do is move into the stars, when in fact the society we live in has a foundation made of sand.

>> No.55994788

>>55994721
Except no seeds of chaos have actually taken root. We just have better ways of seeing them now.

We live in the most peaceful era in known human history. We may be hyper-aware of things like mass shootings and failures to stomp on MENA local powers, but those are actually less common than they ever were before. Even Africa and the Middle East are becoming more peaceful.

Unless you're talking about some /pol/ Jewish Zeitgiest, led by libruls and globalists, in which case you've fallen victim to fake news and engineered memetics, and would really be quite a bit happier and more productive if you were bluepilled or greenpilled or really any other color of pill.

>> No.55994819

>>55992609
>they take place in the Middle Ages

Fucking what?

>> No.55994844

>>55992609
Have you read about Don Juan? The original one, not some anglo fanfic where he's a fag who falls in love. He acts like your bard all the time and since he's important and good at defending himself nobody can't stop him being a manwhore except fucking divine intervention. The statue of a guy he murdered after banging her daughter has to bring him down to hell, while earthly powers are powerless.

>> No.55994848

>>55994335
>olden times
>kids are a financial boon because they can work (which more than pays for their own food) and will support you in your old age

>modern times
>kids are a financial burden because you have to buy them tons of stuff, child labor is illegal, and they won't pay for your retirement

>> No.55994850

>>55992609
Ask her to prove it is yours. She is a whore after all.

>> No.55994854

>>55994819
The tech level is schizophrenic and wriggles mostly between the High Middle Ages and the Late Renaissance.

He can be forgiven for thinking it's a medieval setting. It's the most common misconception after all.

>> No.55994870

>>55994854
Still, it doesn't take place during any time in real world history.

>> No.55994875

>>55994309
that kind of hurt to watch
I guess its the point

>> No.55994898

>>55994848
It's also far more expensive to retire, and it lasts longer. Even if your kids do help with your retirement, if they have to pay for your 30 cases of cancer, they're gonna go broke anyway.

Unfortunately, we have to find a different solution. Social Security is a decent patch, but hardly the be-all solution. All I know is mass production makes things cheaper (and shittier, but we need to get off our convienience horse and start accepting some asceticism anyway) and so that's probably going to be part of the solution. It's why I support welfare initiatives despite being otherwise fairly conservative.

>> No.55994940

>>55992609
Find an abortion spell.

>> No.55994957
File: 24 KB, 480x710, communsim.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55994788
Look at the signs man. Nobody has any money. Most people have next to nothing in savings. The recovery from the recession has been completely anemic, with full time employment numbers not even recovering half of what was lost. Western governments are running debts not seen since world war 2 just to keep the fucking lights on. They money is already massively inflated. And all of this is fueled by central banks already pulling every money wizard trick in the book, including just handing out hundreds of billions in free money to keep insolvent corporations afloat. Millenials are making 60% of what the Boomers made when they were the same age. Political dysfunction is reaching ever greater heights, with moderate parties being completely impotent and radical wings festering at the edges.

Temporal peace means fuck all, the victorian era was extremely peaceful and it ended with the bloodiest 50 years in human history. The pax Romana looked pretty peaceful too.

We're living in a house of cards my dude. This system cannot be sustained, and the longer it rots the more painful its failure will be felt.

>> No.55994993

>>55993512
Not with that pic, anon. Post a few sparkly renaissance bois and I’ll reconsider.

>> No.55995009
File: 186 KB, 1280x720, helghast.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55994957
Civilization is a crop watered by blood and all these problems are merely its way of telling us that it thirsts once more. Soon a new order will come, and like all new orders, it will come in fire.

>> No.55995040

>>55995009
Fash pls. Utopian collectivism is a recipe for hell on earth

>> No.55995076

>>55995040
the helghast were more like fascism and communism had some weird authoritarian baby...so East Germany basically.

>> No.55995117

>>55995076
>fascism and communism
Both are collectivist utopian ideologies

>> No.55995172

>>55992609
you're a special kind of stupid.

>> No.55995253

>>55995009
>Civilization is a crop watered by blood
uh, actually, I'd liken it more to a ecosystem - peoples eat/kill other peoples, but when one thing grows too powerful it can throw the whole system out of whack.

>All the current problems are merely it's way of telling us it thirsts once more
okay? Or that feeding it by blood isn't feasible.

>Soon a new order will come, and like all new orders, it will come in fire
You're thinking of Baked Alaska. Baked Alaska is the only order that the waiter brings to you while it's on fire.

It's also a convenient name for the last surviving puddle of humanity after you fuckers get the nuke codes and trigger MAD because you don't into how diplomacy works.

I don't think Democracy is going to go down any time soon. And if it does, it'll be Socialism that replaces it - Fascism just isn't stable, because fascist governments require an other to remain united. The other two governments are at least plausible without an other.

>>55994957
Economic collapse I can see; like I said, we need to adopt some ascetic virtues in the developed world. Our consumption is pretty silly. The bright side is that the advent of the internet is making entertainment push post-scarcity boundaries: You can duplicate a game as many times as you want, and there'll always be people like Tarn Adams who are willing to put stupid amounts of work into a game for people to play for free, which means that so long as we don't pay for information we can consume as much media as we like.

We already produce more food than the human population can actually eat; we just lack the logistics. Fix that issue, and food reaches post-scarcity too. Particularly if Tower-farms come into their own, opening up cities for agriculture.

Land is a big problem. Some people hate living in tight quarters with other humans. It's unfortunate, but we'll need to curb this tendency to work economically and ecologically sustainable housing markets.

>> No.55995274
File: 37 KB, 299x450, chef-showing-pasta-11270828.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55992609

>> No.55995314

>>55995253
>And if it does, it'll be Socialism that replaces it - Fascism just isn't stable, because fascist governments require an other to remain united.
Yeah because revolutionary socialism is so stable and doesn't end in millions of people dying or anything.

>> No.55995315

>>55994309
Why would you do that?

>> No.55995386

>>55992609
You know, I’d attack it for being a threadbare, poorly-justified cliché offering little in the way of increased character depth, because your average D&D setting isn’t remotely realistic on any axis, but /tg/ really loves its realism arguments.

And what else in the way of characterization do bards ever get, anyway? I never hear about bards doing something OTHER than screwing people (or monsters, or inanimate objects...). Perhaps it’s unfair to take that away from them.

>> No.55995403

>>55995314
Not revolutionary socialism, speedreader, just socialism as a concept.

And the number of people dying would be irrelevant; what really matters is the stability in a mono-ideologic world. Socialism and Democracy/Capitalism are both fairly stable unsupported. Fascism requires an outsider to push out to be stable. Someone who isn't fascist to persecute.

You're right that revolutionary Socialism doesn't work, mostly because revolutionary anything sucks donkey-dick. The U.S. got really lucky Washington was a cool dude and didn't let being the dude in charge get to him, because if he wasn't it would have turned out pretty horrible for whoever Washington decided he hated.

In any case, a measure of capitalism is required in any society. People need incentive to work; in an ideal society, this would be luxuries, but needs can and have been in most real-world cases substituted. Stop trying to paint me as a strawman arguing for a complete Stalinization of the planet, because that's not what's happening here.

>> No.55995450

>>55992609
People in the middle ages weren't that sexually repressed senpai.
That peaked in the victorian era.

She would definitely become a less desirable candidate for marriage, but her family probably wouldn't abandon them. Maybe a father or brother would even chase after the bard to try to get him to take responsibility.

>> No.55995485
File: 46 KB, 552x346, Federal Budget FY 2015.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55995403
No socialism isn't sustainable. It either runs on plundering the land of the bourgeois, 'kulaks', and 'counter revolutionaries', or plundering the future earnings of the next generation to pay for all of the spending. Where do you think all of the Western government debt comes from? Hint: It's not muh armee

And why exactly is socialism required for a post-scarcity society exactly? If energy, food, water, etc are so cheap they can be given away why does the government need to play middle man? Couldn't people just buy these things for next to nothing?

>> No.55995527

>>55995386
Bard is perfect rapist class. Look at his skills and spells.

>> No.55995599

>>55992609
As several anons have already pointed out... there were whores. And barmaids often were. Hell, they were often barmaids in name only to avoid being put into ahigher tax bracket. Learn to history

>> No.55995679

>>55995485
I never said Socialism was required for post-scarcity, anon.

In fact, it was the other way around. You're speedreading again.

What I said was that in a post-scarcity society, two different systems were stable. A socialist system, where the government uses mass production and economies of scale to provide a baseline lifestyle for its people, and a capitalist system, where hopefully the free market takes care of it.

The problem is that people assume it's one or the other when the two systems work best mixed. Completely restraining the market is just as retarded as letting everything run free - either way, you're going to get one super-powerful douchenozzle who decides what the price to recieve something is and then everyone has to suck his dick because he has a monopoly on the means of production.

As far as the debt goes:
1) Gonna need sauce on the graph, because it doesn't line up at all with what I've seen and I go all over the place media-wise.
2) It's partially the military, partially our refusal to pay appropriate taxes for the shit we recieve. Every president for years has promised lower taxes and more free shit, but that kind of thing just isn't sustainable. We could support our stupidly large, wasteful military pretty easily, but it would mean a small raise in taxes and people would flip the fuck out about "muh money". Either we take it from the rich, who decry it as unfair because they totes earned that 4 billion, or we take it from the poor, who decry it as crushing because they're already living on pennies because we haven't given them the proper resources to realize that maybe spending their whole paycheck on white nikes isn't a great financial idea.

Again. We have two major issues: We consume too much, and we need to survive the global warming impact we already see and do our best to mitigate it by going as green as possible (which will be better for us in the long run anyway, so the only reason not to do it is again, muh money).

>> No.55995741
File: 24 KB, 487x474, fede145b8cc6b4bc504ee349042903d9d547edfa_hq.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55992609

>> No.55995774

>>55994008
You could also fuck your stepdaughter.

>> No.55995776

>>55995679
>https://www.thebalance.com/u-s-federal-budget-breakdown-3305789

>The government will spend $4.094 trillion. Most of this (62 percent) pays for mandated benefits, such as Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.

>> No.55996112

>>55992609

You know, have you considered that women WANT to fuck attractive men? Like, some men just have it. Sure, you know the Bard's probably going to leave in the morning and never write back, but it'll be one hell of a fuck.

Obviously there might be problems, but the woman is going to be satisfied with the dicking she got. It's like having a chance to fuck George Clooney or Ryan Gosling just ONCE, I'd happily go for it.

>> No.55996123
File: 44 KB, 800x200, Federal_taxes_by_type.pdf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55995679
>either way, you're going to get one super-powerful douchenozzle who decides what the price to recieve something is and then everyone has to suck his dick because he has a monopoly on the means of production.
Not really. By the time the U.S. government started trust busting in the 90's (the 1890's that is) big dogs like Standard Oil were already starting to contract since a lot of their patents were up and competitors began to out innovate them. As it turns out, trying to maintain a monopoly in an ever shifting and dynamic landscape is pretty much impossible. Especially with the speed in which technology and information moves today. A company constantly having the most talented people, smartest executives, and most rapid innovations is basically impossible. Perhaps a monopoly capturing the market might happen in a simpler economy, but not in one that's innovation and tech driven.

>Either we take it from the rich, who decry it as unfair because they totes earned that 4 billion
I think a better way to redistribute that wealth would keep the elite from getting it in the first place. After all, the modern rich have gained their fortunes as a result of regulatory capture, central banks circlejerking with private ones, and massive government subsidies. In Pharma for example, it costs upwards of a billion dollars to get a new drug approved by the FDA. So it's literally impossible for anyone but the big dogs to get a government stamp on a new product.

>we haven't given them the proper resources to realize that maybe spending their whole paycheck on white nikes isn't a great financial idea.
How exactly can the government fix this? You can't just throw money at poor people and expect them to gain fiscal sense. Spending on education has near quadrupled since the 70's and test scores have stagnated. Same thing with welfare, spending has exploded yet poverty hasn't gone down. If any thing the poor are worse of now since the working family has been obliterated.

>> No.55996129

>>55995774
I'm pretty sure you could do it nowadays just as fine.

>> No.55996135
File: 60 KB, 540x531, 1003489745734.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55993512
>Waluigi bard

>> No.55996180

>>55995776
I see. I don't recall similar breakdowns on anywhere I frequent, so I'm still regarding the numbers with some suspicion, but I don't see any of the usual red flags (like being a "conservative" or "Liberal" news outlet, which is code for "Total bullshit tailored towards X group") so I'll let it pass.

Regardless, it looks like currently the govt is running a deficit of about 600 billion dollars, give or take a few 10 billions. This is approximately the amount of spending on our bloated military - I say bloated because, having been in the armed forces, I can confirm the military spends money on some seriously stupid shit, like 3 grand on a GPS that's less reliable than a garmin which costs 100 bucks. And then making that standard issue. And also because statistically we spend 4 times as much on our military than any other country: IIRC China is next in line and they spend a quarter of what we do on their military.

Which means if we streamline that system, we can already save at least a quarter of the deficit. All we have to do is leave the cold war paranoia and start redistibuting funds - we don't need huge masses of soldiers and swaths of nukes anymore, what we really need are highly trained strike teams and a corps of merged diplomats/soldiers that hold anywhere we need to conquer. Even if we want to match China, which is silly because wars between countries with nukes are kind of silly to begin with, we only really need the forces to hold them off while we swap to a war economy.

The rest could easily be gotten rid of by dropping dumb shit like food stamps. Why not just socialize a few farms and give the poor food directly? Then we could curb the stupid shitty eating habits the poor have too and insure they have adequate nutrition to not become the niggest. It'd be cheaper too - it costs a lot less to drop bags of rice at people's doorsteps than to produce, package, and sell those oreos.

>> No.55996240

>>55992971
>like a batshit crazy yandere chick that decides to stalk the womanizer, or the vindictive lover the womanize stole the girl from. And honestly, it makes the game more fun.
Shit, that's really good. It' basically using story tropes about these roguish characters to make the players' actions have consequences.

>> No.55996253
File: 647 KB, 618x618, 1504554203855.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>thread started as a shitpost about /tg/
>ends up in a discussion about socialism, capitalism, economics, and balancing a nations budget
what the fuck?

>> No.55996269
File: 56 KB, 792x524, poverty_in_the_US.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55996180
>Why not just socialize a few farms and give the poor food directly?
The government can't run a fucking website and you expect them to run farms?Welfare is ineffective anyways. Since the 'war on poverty' started with Johnson poverty rates have been pretty much stagnant.

I'm with you that the military should be largely axed. The US was just fine for the first 150 years without a massive standing army. Almost all the military spending is just the Feds 69ing Lockmart and friends.

>> No.55996338

>>55996123
>I think a better way to redistribute that wealth would keep the elite from getting it in the first place.
I'd agree, but I fear that if it's impossible for someone to become rich doing something, you run the risk of not having an incentive to do work. Then you face everyone in your country becoming NEET weebs fucking their waifus and doing nothing to stop those darned capitalists.

I can agree with the circlejerk bits though. Admittedly, most of human history is a bunch of powerful people circlejerking each other with their money. It's only how they do it that's changed.

>How exactly can the government fix this? You can't just throw money at poor people and expect them to gain fiscal sense.
Well, by proper resources I wasn't strictly referring to education. Although, with that said, I would like to point out that in America at least, public schools are paid for locally, and are often underfunded. My Mom is a teacher, and she's paid less than a living wage. Making being a teacher for young students in public schools in low income areas would definitely help, because regardless of the total budget, the actual low-income areas and even some of the higher income areas just aren't paying for smart teachers, and dumb teachers make dumb students.

In any case, what I was really referring to is nutrition: America has an issue with eating healthy and nutrition has been shown to have a direct, substantial impact on intellect. Especially when the poor are basically forced to buy cheap, non-nutritious shit anyway, added onto the fact that the shit that's bad for you is right there and would taste so much better than plain white rice again tonight... Shit's bad for developing brains. Then tack on shit teachers because the schools are broke, a cultural bias towards blowing your money on meaningless bullshit, and a lingering societal bias that makes it even harder to get a job than it would be...

>> No.55996375

>>55996253
Autism. It cannot be defeated.

>> No.55996387

>>55992609
actually she would be labeled a whore because she fucked a guy she met while tending her HUSBAND'S bar behind her HUSBAND'S back who she was married to when she was 14, in an arranged marriage.

>> No.55996388

>>55996269
Welfare is ineffective because the public is mostly tards convinced that throwing raw money into a problem fixes it, or that the poor are born to be poor and don't deserve mercy.

I'm not in favor of axing welfare. I'm in favor of replacing it with raw resources and telling the poor to get the fuck to work. Right now, the free market plus our good old American Bullshit(tm) just isn't getting the resources where they need to go.

It's a cultural thing that needs a sweeping, radical, ascetic change where people stop spending money on pointless bullshittery that feeds fatcats with good PR and starts breeding more money. The poor need an investment space, and it needs to be known.

>> No.55996394

>>55992609
Just reward the bard with STD, since you know, it's medieval age.

>> No.55996406
File: 21 KB, 350x350, Best Thread on Tg Right Now.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55996253
/tg/ gets nothing done.

Wait am i meming wrong?

>> No.55996472

>>55992609
Give the bard magical herpes. For the luls.

>> No.55996498

>>55996338
>I'd agree, but I fear that if it's impossible for someone to become rich doing something, you run the risk of not having an incentive to do work.
The problem is that there's a whole generation of elites who are the elite because they've learned to please the people with a monopoly on violence.

>Especially when the poor are basically forced to buy cheap, non-nutritious shit anyway, added onto the fact that the shit that's bad for you is right there and would taste so much better than plain white rice again tonight...
Food desert is bullshit man. Buying raw ingredients is FAR cheaper than buying junk and fast food.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpPDVqMltx8
The problem is more poor families have been broken up. Working single moms don't have enough hours in the day to make dinner for the kids. And if you don't think that the poor can cook you clearly havent met many mexicans.

>The poor need an investment space
What exactly would you propose? Same with welfare, how would you rework it?

>> No.55996518
File: 32 KB, 609x700, Man regains a bit of hope he never knew he had.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55996388
>>55996338
>>55996180
>>55996406
Anyways, I gotta go to bed, so I'll leave this thread be for now. I'm glad I got into a political discussion on 4chan with minimal /pol/ - thank you /tg/ for being awesome.

You know, I think tomorrow I'll start a hope thread on /b/. Bring some positive light into a dark place. It'll probably get trolled, but I don't much care; We're so swamped by the negative all day and night nowadays, we forget to look at all the good things that happen.

>> No.55996645

>>55994335
The answer you are looking for is a piece of magic called "the pill."

>> No.55996647
File: 1.40 MB, 356x200, reallymakesyouthink.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55994147
Exactly right.

Prostitution was big. 30-50% of the economy of most cities was related to the prostitution business. There's every flavor of prostitute one can think of, and it was the third most common profession after farmer and fisherman.

It would be weird if an adventurer, especially a handsome bard goes to a tavern or inn or even the alley next to it, and ISN'T propositioned at least twice.

>> No.55996655

>>55995253
>Ascetic virtues

Like what? How will those save us when the stars wink out?

>> No.55996698

>>55994957
>Look at the signs man. Nobody has any money. Most people have next to nothing in savings. The recovery from the recession has been completely anemic, with full time employment numbers not even recovering half of what was lost. Western governments are running debts not seen since world war 2 just to keep the fucking lights on. They money is already massively inflated. And all of this is fueled by central banks already pulling every money wizard trick in the book, including just handing out hundreds of billions in free money to keep insolvent corporations afloat. Millenials are making 60% of what the Boomers made when they were the same age. Political dysfunction is reaching ever greater heights, with moderate parties being completely impotent and radical wings festering at the edges.
And yet we're still doing better than we were 100 years ago. 100 years from now, we'll be doing even better. That's what we do.

>> No.55996735

>>55992609

Meh, middle ages europe was pretty slutty anon. There were Cock and Hen bars in many areas where people would openly do anything short of penetrative sex.

Also, magic condoms bro.

>> No.55996773

>>55993512

Now we're talking! Those cuddly dwarf bears and skinny elf twinks aren't going to seduce themselves. Actually, they probably will, but let's get in on it at least.

>> No.55996780
File: 110 KB, 890x656, caesar_on_4chan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55996698
>And yet we're still doing better than we were 100 years ago. 100 years from now, we'll be doing even better. That's what we do.
What an infantile assertion. You know less than nothing. If you don't realize that civilization is a delicate machine, to which it's continued peaceful existence is an absolute miracle, you're something lower than retarded. If you take all this for granted take a look at all of the failed states from the last 100 years. All of the once peaceful and prosperous nations that rapidly fell into anarchic or totalitarian orgies of death.

If you think your homeland is magically exempt from anything like that ever happening, think again.

>> No.55997687

>>55992609
If anything there were a LOT more cucks back then than now.

>> No.55997836

>>55996780
Your failing is thinking in terms of nations. I'm talking about the world. Dumb nationalist. China can fall, America can fall, New Zimbabwe can fall. Doesn't matter. 100 years from now, humanity will be doing better.

>> No.55997890
File: 1.63 MB, 360x270, skelly haha.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55993531
GURPs is the greatest

>> No.55998181
File: 1.14 MB, 1000x1000, thri-kreen and bard color.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55992609
>t. paladin who can't get laid

It's only a vow of celibacy if there's actually opportunities to break it, you know.

>> No.55999228

>>55992609
Extramarital sex being a big deal among commoners was kind of not really a thing in most historical cultures, you fucking retard.

It might be different if she's married or if she's a noblewoman whose virginity is an important part of an arranged marriage, but frankly, it wasn't really a big deal in most areas in most eras for commoners like barmaids.

>> No.55999687

>>55999228
>Extramarital sex being a big deal among commoners was kind of not really a thing in most historical cultures
Wasn't that because most people got married around the time they became sexually active? At age 15 or so? Understandably pre-marital sex stops being an issue, because at that point it just becomes adultery.

>> No.55999733

>>55993221
Syphilis may be a new world disease, but it seems fair to assume similar diseases in D&D

>> No.55999750

>>55994430
>It seems to be a resource thing.
No, or at least not exclusively.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4255510/
There are many factors that have made Europe's birth rates so abysmally low, and economic factors are only one of them. Why is Ireland doing better than Germany for example, or why do America's Amish keep exploding while mainline Protestantism is knocking on death's door? Factors like women's "liberation" (depriving women of the ability/time/'training' to be good housemothers, doubling the working force without adjusting demand and thereby halving income per capita and in relative terms making providing for a family harder), religion (it's commonly accepted that in terms of birth rate conservatively religious > liberally religious > seculars) and social structures (ever heard of the expression "it takes a village to raise a child"?) all contribute to declining birth rates. Even if overnight a country like Yemen had the living standards of the West, they'd still have factors that would keep their birth rates above replacement level. They'd just "drop" to something like 2.5 children per woman rather than 4.2.

>> No.55999785

>>55993531
Come see Dr.Deletus, he'll annihilate your fetus

>> No.55999802

>>55994957
>The pax Romana looked pretty peaceful too.
what the fuck does this even mean? Pax romaan wasn't even peace and it most definitely wasn't a period.

>> No.55999891

>>55996253
You're new here. Lurk for a couple more months, you'll start to get it.

>> No.55999897

>>55992609
>Good job, everyone in her community has now branded her a whore.
That's because a lot them especially in urban society were whores. There also was a lesser stigma against whores in the medieval period, and actually up until very recently in a historic sense.
There are several species of contraceptive plants that were rendered extinct during the medieval period.
How do you think whores have worked throughout history?
She's not keeping the kid assuming it gets that far along.

>> No.55999904

>>55992609
Would an abortion spell be necromantic? Or druidic?

>> No.55999930

>>55994788
>>55994957
>>55995253
>>55995403
>>55995485
>>55995679
>>55996123
>>55996180
>>55996269
>>55996338
>>55996498
>>55996780
>>55999750
This is why I love /tg/. I just love it to bits. Keep up the good work anons.

>> No.55999943

>>55992609
She can still work as a barmaid

>> No.55999948

>>55994430
>Now if only we could convince people about global warming
Asians don't care about the environment and never will.
https://qz.com/1004589/80-of-plastic-in-the-ocean-can-be-traced-back-to-asias-rivers-led-by-china-indonesia-myanmar-a-study-by-netherland-based-the-ocean-cleanup-found/

>> No.55999977

>>55993531
Jesus fuck, and I thought D&D had the market cornered on cringe-inducing ERP splatbooks. No FATAL pls. I should've known the minds behind Munchkin could give them a run for it.

>> No.56000004

>>55992609
> no contraceptives
The barwench just goes over to the local temple and pays them to magic it away

>> No.56000066

>>55994552
Romans still had whores, as a legitimate though not respected profession. Extramarital affairs with Roman citizens were illegal - though still a thing - but fucking whores was a popular and allowed pastime. For men, at least. Romans were big on family values, but this doesn't mean that their family values were identical to those of modern day conservatives.

>> No.56000082

>>55999948
We can tax their products based on the amount of pollution they produce. That'd give them incentives to start caring. Basically anything that makes their trade less profitable is a good way to go. For that to work though we have to have politicians who believe in GW themselves and so far only the EU are on that level and not even to a regulatory degree that matches the needs.

>> No.56000107
File: 113 KB, 600x791, Falconlinkpunch.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55992609

>> No.56000115

>>56000107
Wow, it's been forever since I saw this comic.

>> No.56000126
File: 256 KB, 1280x960, annoyed_rei.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>56000107
>those "comical" faces
Why are webcomicfaggots always trying too hard?

>> No.56000138

>>55994563
>colonize mars
>an empty, barren hunk of red dust with no resources whatsoever
>with no air, water, or arable land
sounds profitable
as of le current year, this is the only livable planet in all existence

>> No.56000149

>>56000082
We could, but the media will compare you to Hitler if you don't support unlimited free trade.

>> No.56000159

>>56000082
>We can tax their products based on the amount of pollution they produce. That'd give them incentives to start caring.

I don't think you understand how difficult that would actually be to do. Never mind lobbying, never mind corruption, never mind belief, that's going to be a fucking ridiculously complex law to write, and the more complex the law, the more likely it's going to have fiddly little loopholes, and exceptions, and a clause to pay for a bridge in kentucky nobody noticed.

>> No.56000167

>>55992609
>le turbonerd virgin gets upset because he can't fathom what high charisma is like and how it affects your ability to get chicks and spins loops to tru and justify his sexlessness

What a pathetic loser.

>> No.56000277

>>55993419

>An RPG setting has Christian social standards

Uh huh sure buddy.

>> No.56000290

>>56000066
>For men, at least
Fucking a catamite was a socially acceptable thing. But fucking another Roman like someones husband was a no no.

>> No.56000292

This is why all my bards are gay.

>> No.56000298

>>55992609

>There were no loose women when everyone was a retarded uneducated farmer
>All women were chaste and pure
>I believe this

>> No.56000306
File: 148 KB, 953x534, 1418714792049.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55996253

>> No.56000318

>>55994335

No, don't do it, don't THINK, that's BADONG and will lead you straight to POL, is that what you WANT? HUH?

>> No.56000330

>>55994563

And you plan that african scientists will do this? Western countries will be african/arab caliphates in a 100 years.

>> No.56000339

>>55994430

Also, global warming is ZERO threat to civilization as a whole. Worst case scenario, some coastal cities get swallowed and some places get desertificated. Millions may die, but that is of absolute zero consequence for humanity as a whole.

>> No.56000461

>>55995040
>Utopian collectivism is a recipe for hell on earth
Utopian collectivism, dystopian collectivism, plutocracy. The first might result in a Hell on Earth, but the other two _are_ Hell on Earth.

>> No.56000566

>>56000290
>Fucking a catamite was a socially acceptable thing
Because Romans didn't have gay or straight, they (and many Mediterranean cultures today still do) only had penetrators and the penetrated. Fucking a man was a-okay, being fucked by another man made you a faggot. There's a reason why the word "catamite" is an insult.

>> No.56000655

>>55996123
>Same thing with welfare, spending has exploded yet poverty hasn't gone down.
Anon, welfare stops people who have fallen into poverty from falling to death, it does not lift them out of it. And the reason it does not lift them out of poverty is the ideology that they must do so by their own bootstrings. The end result is a system that's expensive, inefficient and cruel.

>> No.56000733

>>56000159
A blanket environmental pollution counter tax would be easy to write. We already have numbers on how much pollution a chinese steel plant produces compared to an american one, just tax the difference on imports or subsidize steel from plants that fall below the threshold.

>> No.56000796

>>56000655
>not knowing job-cycle turnover rates

In the USA, people who have fallen out of a job generally get themselves back into one within 6 months. About 80% of welfare goes to people who choose to stay in a welfare-paid lifestyle.

>> No.56000810

>>56000733
Blanket import taxes work poorly on fungible goods.

>> No.56000987

>>56000733
Good luck squeezing any money outta Chinese.

>> No.56001071

>>55996655
>How will those save us when the stars wink out?
Combining General Relativity and Quantum Field Theory seems to be saying that it's possible to create new universes connected to this one through a wormhole. The process can naturally be repeated in them ad infinitum. If we can also make regular wormholes - just a pair of connected ends - we can move those through the initial wormhole to connect the new universes directly to each other. The end result in this scenario is a multiversal empire which can keep growing forever.

>> No.56001110
File: 39 KB, 480x360, 1483277359735.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>56000138
>No water on Mars
>No resources on Mars

>> No.56001131

>>56000318
Anon, thinking is what keeps people OFF of /pol/.

>> No.56001157

>>55992609

You're aware that 'barmaid' is synonymous with 'prostitute', right? More, the bard - as an adventure - is fucking rich. If he gave her 50GP, she's set up for an entire year.

Hell, he could drop in once a year and casually give her a few thousand gold pieces (chump change to an adventurer). She'll be the richest woman in the entire town.

>> No.56001214

>>56000796
>About 80% of welfare goes to people who choose to stay in a welfare-paid lifestyle.
Choose, or are unable to get a job good enough to support themselves due to lacking a skillset with market value and not having the smarts or resources to get one?
Your conclusion does not follow from your premise.

>> No.56001273

>>55992609
Anyone who plays a bard like this should have a wakeup call. The barmaid isn't just some joe schmoe you fuck around with. Gal's probably the one who gives the barkeep all those rumors. She probably has it in good with the rest of the town. Who wouldn't like her, she serves the drinks!

In my personal opinion, if you do this to the barmaid and on the chance she gets pregnant (1d8 roll I'd say), the town could either send a few guards or pay off a few bountyhunters to take the bard back to the town and either force him to marry or take his wealth.and supplies to help support the child.

>> No.56001290

>>56000339
>most major hubs of business are coastal

>> No.56001311
File: 210 KB, 474x472, 1489286417518.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55992609
>All Medieval cultures are the same, with the same values that are applied to everyone equally, no variation, generation after generation for the better part of a millennium living in exactly the same way, everyone treated the same regardless of power or influence.

>> No.56001330

>>56001290
Major hubs of liberal financial elites are coastal. The actual productive work occurs inland. Mining, agriculture, manufacturing, etc. all occurs inland. Fuck the coasts, if they drown the country will be far better off.

>> No.56001397

>>55995403
I'd wager the problem with fascism and nazism was more that there's no healthy friendly competition between nations allowed any more

>> No.56001405

>>56001290
They are though, either directly on the coast, or connected to a major river that leads to the sea. Major tradehubs that don't follow this pattern are exceptional.

>> No.56001410

>>55992609
Calm thy self, is just game, people have fun in different ways

>> No.56001446

>>56000277
>Implying those were Christian standards back in the sword and chain era

Not being able to sexually satisfy your wife was cause for annulment among Catholics.

>> No.56001480

>>56001446
I think it was not being able to IMPREGNATE your wife, because Catholics at the time had no delusions about love and realized marriage is just a social contract that should lead to childbirth. This just proves that their dislike for homosexuals is based on an entirely internally consistent reasoning.

>> No.56001523

>>55992609
That's not how it was in the Middle Ages. That's not even how it was 130 years ago. If you've ever heard the jokes about "the farmer's daughter", you'd realize that your assumptions are completely unfounded.

Agrarian societies need people. She's dead now, but my great aunt was the result of my great grandfather boinking the maid. There was no shame in it, farmers needed all the able-bodied people they could get. You weren't a whore because you put out, you were a whore because you put out and no one would take you in. If you worked in a bar as a wench and you helped a customer out, that meant a returning customer, you were considered helpful. Add to that the fact that lives were depressingly short in medieval times and you wanted to experience the joys of sex and motherhood before influenza or plague would show up. They also didn't understand much about diseases.

You're getting it wrong because you're thinking of it from a post-industrial viewpoint, where the demand for people is limited by the number of seats in the factory and irresponsible women showing up at your front door trying to hand you a kid you weren't expecting were a liability rather than an asset.

>> No.56003189

>>55999687
That was only true for people whose marriages meant something politically, i.e. nobles and royals.

Among the lowborn commoners, in most times and places, most people didn't really care.

>> No.56003263

>>56001071
It wouldn't be an empire as there's no way to implement centralized authority. Going through the wormhole is strictly a one-way journey.

>> No.56005178
File: 10 KB, 250x250, 1505932161068.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55994452
>permanent stat penalty
>most STDs are routine infections, not detrimental to your health, or are very likely to just fucking kill you

>> No.56005369

>>56000138
>only livable planet
>this dumb nigger is trying to argue when he doesn't even understand the very basics of stellar mechanics

Not only do we already know exactly what stars to look for to find habitable, earth-like planets we know where in those solar systems to look. Not to mention we've already found three that meet the criteria a (relatively) short distance away.

>> No.56005707
File: 1.24 MB, 300x149, CageLaughing.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>56001273
>the town could either send a few guards or pay off a few bountyhunters to take the bard back

>implying some fucking schlub bounty hunters could take down an adventuring party

>> No.56008668

>>56001110
Yea, good luck eating red sand and mining red sandstone

>> No.56010245

>>56001273
I doubt there is anything they can legally do about it assuming the town gave enough of a shit. I don't think child support payments were a thing yet, assuming they could prove the bastard was the bards kid anyways

>> No.56010404

>>56001273
>>55994452
Nothing screams that gm like a disproportionately large response to next to nothing.

>> No.56010849
File: 80 KB, 1000x900, children_by_ideology.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55994335

>> No.56011227

>>56010849
Got an attached study or citation for that? Would love to read further.

>> No.56011348

>>56010849
>baby boom
>lower than previous decade average children

Now I'm not saying it's bullshit, but...

>> No.56011364

>>55992609
Do you think womanizing is a modern phenomenon?

>> No.56011512

>>55992609
>D&D
>Middle Ages
Pick one, and only one.

>> No.56011565
File: 20 KB, 416x154, 1453958273219.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55997890
>>55999977
I don't know why Bio-Tech has so much more weird stuff than all the other books, but I love it.

>> No.56012957

The local temple of Asherah has a monopoly on prostitution. Unlicensed whoredom is prosecuted vigorously.

>> No.56013274

>>55992609
>The Magic Fantasy world functions exactly like Medieval Europe meme

>> No.56015472

>>55994452
...is this a furry version of conqueror?

Absolutely haraam.

>> No.56015690
File: 24 KB, 274x237, WoodyLaughing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55994452
>lay on hands from a level 1 paladin

>> No.56015721

>>55992609
People got around in the Middle Ages a lot more than you might think.

t. Boccaccio

>> No.56015726
File: 136 KB, 577x577, 1432770506085.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>56015690
>Paladin falls for enabling unvirtuous behavior

>> No.56015775
File: 5.19 MB, 480x270, AnimeGirlsLaughing1.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>56015726
>he was a conquest paladin
>god gives him a boon

>> No.56015780

>>55992856
>/tg/ poster so virgin he thinks you actually have to SEDUCE a whore looking for coins.

News at 11

>> No.56015846

>>55993531
They’ll look at you in horror, maybe make a few jokes, and perhaps they will be uncomfortable.

But I like making my players uncomfortable with their actions, so I don’t have a problem with doing this to the bard that fucks anything with legs.

>> No.56015848

>>56015780
>/tg/ poster so autistic he singles out one word in a post and ignores the rest

News at 11

>> No.56016034

>>56001480
Nah, in the 13 colonies, not being able to give your wife an orgasm was one of the few clauses that made it acceptable to annul the marriage. Not sure about Catholics but definitely true in Puritan society.

>> No.56016098

>>56000138
Nigga NASA currently sells mining rights to hydrogen on the moon. There are resources outside of biotic ones, and there’s a lotta iron in those hills, don’t even need to dig to get it.

>> No.56016121

>>55996253
At least it's not bear measurements this time

>> No.56016149

>>56000339
Correct, global warming is not an issue. Climate change is, and has the potential to ruin ecologies we rely on and make farming nonviable in large bread baskets we currently use. It could also sink the insurance industry as the greater part of the southern United States becomes less insurance by the day.

We can survive +2 C pretty nicely. We’re smart. The rest of the ecology that we like to have won’t fare as nicely. The entire planet though? Planet will be fined, it’s the people who are fucked.

>> No.56016581
File: 77 KB, 723x379, candyCrackle-1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>56011565
>he thinks that's the weird part

>> No.56016748

>>55996735
There is reason Catholic Church had dim view on the Bath Houses that where regular thing in early to middle ME times and it was not because "Clean people are yucky."

>> No.56017083

>>56015780
>and so didn't need to pay.

Reading comprehension.

>> No.56017632
File: 11 KB, 261x191, 5f0c3e22.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55992609
>Let's project historical issues of real world into D&D setting
Autism

>> No.56018054
File: 43 KB, 500x375, gaze.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55994147
>Where do you think all those level 1 rogues come from.

>> No.56018105

>>55992609
That is better.

>> No.56018130

>>55992609
How is any of that the bard's problem? (Protip: it's not.)

>> No.56018263

>>55994335
>>ultra conservative backwards victorian thought

That actually comes down to a handful of prudish academics with nothing better to do than get all up in everybody's business. Everyone else was being just as freaky as people have always been, possibly barring the more sheltered members of the middle class.

>> No.56018329

>>55992609
Bard fucks tavern wrench. Tavern wrench got fucked by 100 different guys this month and is infected with a variety of STDs. The bard is now infected, too.

Roll 1d10 and pick your illness
1: Herpes
2: Syphilis
3: Chlamydia
4: Gonorrhea
5: Scabies
6: Crabs
7: Hepatitis
8: Trichomoniasis
9: HIV
10: Character got lucky, he only got crab louses

>> No.56018341

>>56018263
>prudish academics with nothing better to do than get all up in everybody's business

Not quite.
There was an element of classism, the academics felt that lewdity was simply too distracting for commoners to deal with and that in order for society to function it should be handled only behind closed doors by learned professionals who were above such base behaviors. This is where things like the Secret Museum came from.
At the same time in America the rising middle class wanted something to distinguish themselves from the proles. The myth of covering wooden ankles of table legs comes from comedic accounts of British gentlemen visiting uptight American ladies.

>> No.56019482

>>55992609
>, they take place in the Middle Ages
No it doesn't. D&D was never fucking mediaval and should not be used to try to emulate the socital norms of said society.

That being said. You're a fucking idiot if you don't think Womanizers and horny fuckers didn't exist in the middle ages.

>> No.56019572

>>56019482
>No it doesn't. D&D was never fucking mediaval
A medieval miniatures wargame, with added fantasy elements was never medieval and should never be compared to the medieval period despite it's clearly massive influence from that time period.

Ok

>> No.56019588

>>56019572
D&D is way closer to the renaissance/early modern period than anything medieval dumb as, and in some cases just straight up post apocalyptic.

Look at what's actually in the fucking books and fiction. It's a weird fucking hodge podge of shit but if you go in expecting medieval shit, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

>> No.56019592

>>55992609
>not being a womanising lesbian bars
Lesbianism solves all these problems in one swoop.

>> No.56019599

>>56019572
Its influences range from the middle ages to the renaissance and a bunch of pulpy schlock with no resemblance to history besides.

It's kitchen sink fantasy, not moored to any one time period.

>> No.56019682

>>56019588
>He thinks that certain portions of the medieval period couldn't be likened to a post apocalyptic setting, something d&d is clearly aping though it's literary inspirations that were heavily influenced by these time periods.
>He thinks that the renaissance was a distinct time period
>>56019599
>It's just fantasy, that means the inspirations don't matter and consistency can be thrown out of the window, because fuck it none of this matters.
Compelling.

>> No.56019747

>>56019682
>It's just fantasy, that means the inspirations don't matter and consistency can be thrown out of the window
Nigger the inspirations are inconsistent to begin with.

>> No.56019803
File: 3 KB, 95x125, lol.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55994064
>get fucked
good god of keks

>> No.56019841

>>56019682

Well considering that basic D&D has a multitude of gods, it's much closer to say, Roman or Greek in terms of religion.
So saying 'No, it would obviously ascribe to Christian religious values', just because most of the rest of the setting's aesthetic is taken from medieval and renaissance Europe, is retarded.

>> No.56020115

>>56001330
Do you even fucking realise how inter-connected the world is these days? No country, not even America (especially not America) can survive without global trade supplying the billions of things it needs every fucking day to not collapse completely. Those economic and financial institutions are what keep the world running. Without them, nations without the space to self-support will all but die out and nations WITH the space, like the USA, Russia or China, will lack the imports necessary to build and maintain the infrastructure needed to ensure the large cities and urban areas are adequately supplied by national food goods.

>> No.56020569

>>56020115
don't bother, he's a poltard

>> No.56020993
File: 131 KB, 525x809, 1429590338486.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55992609
>Charismatic men fucking attractive women is a meme
I didn't read the rest desu

>> No.56021154

>>55995386
You're right that bards often get little in the way of characterization. I can't say it's a great solution but I worked in the fame and patronage that comes with being a bard of renown into my setting for the benefit of one of my players who dislikes being the party man whore. So instead of riding an endless train of whores the bard gets approached by nobles of varying degrees of influence if he stays in one place for long. They usually want him to write a poem or ballad about their own adventures and conquests, or their fathers or sons. Sometimes it's to tutor a third or fourth son in the arts. Sometimes they just want the bard to sing/play/recite at an event/party they're throwing because it's a prestige builder.

It isn't great, but it's better than fucking barmaids in every town.

>> No.56021175

>>55992609
>>There are no contraceptives
can't get pregnant from anal, fucktard

>> No.56021758

>>56001330
Which is why our biggest provider of agriculture is a fucking coastal state, right?

Fuck off back to /pol/.

>> No.56022010
File: 60 KB, 1103x767, Lenny.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>56001330
>hubs of business, technology, and progress drown
>america falls back into the bronze age
>/pol/ cavemen fighting over the scraps
>complaining that the joos ruined america

>> No.56022741

>>56015726
>allowing someone to have a disease because they "deserve it"
>thinks paladins fall for any reason other than losing faith

Never play a paladin, friend.

>> No.56023445

>>56022741
I'm more worried he'll GM for one.

>> No.56023535

>>56018329
Go to temple, get lay on hands. Cured

>> No.56023658

>>55995386
>>56021154
I have played a skald that was primarily focused on storytelling. That was his main reason for adventuring, see the world, learn about different cultures myths and legends. That and playing the bagpipes.

>> No.56023938
File: 5.48 MB, 2559x1437, 40k.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55994683
It seems almost every month I learn about yet another historical grievance these chucklefucks caused.

>> No.56024013

>>55992609
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tansy#Ethnomedical_use

>> No.56024990
File: 40 KB, 410x369, 1414530633450.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55992971
>We once had a druid who quite literally conjured up a family tree for an NPC with a ritual. Had names and pictures on the leaves and everything.
I'm taking this

>> No.56025070

>>56024013
Didn't they also use stuff like goat intestines as condoms?

>> No.56025574
File: 1.32 MB, 460x352, 0b42f512-68e9-4c87-b09a-16f23dc1c28e.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55993986
>>55994064
>>55994683
>actually thinking this is about slut shaming and not about literal facts about the era.
Holy fucking christ you idiots are dense.

Sex was viewed COMPLETELY different then now. People didnt regularly bathe and disease was instant death. And you're thinking there were enough people who
1. Ignored the church's way of making people devoted to each other before they had a baby
>ignored basic common sense about bacteria and somehow lived beyond sleeping with 5 guys despite how even a common cold could kill
>ignored historically accurate slut shaming
>understanding how in most and i really do mean 9/10 most of all civilisations and cultures had the parents chose who their daughter could marry and fornicate fornicate.

And you're taking this as if hes stomping drown on your progressive ideas about sex today. We get it, you got laid, dont let it define you. Stop trying to hide and ignore the past and don't act like fucking teenagers who only think about sex.

Btw there were ATTEMPTS of contraceptives and none of them were openly available until 1900 passed.

>>56000277
>ignoring how every culture and religion beyond the stone age, living in cities and villages, all followed their own version of slut shaming and "you need to marry if you want to lay with my daughter"
But please tell us your oh so progressive medieval backwater fishing village that somehow can survive a plague when girls can have sleep with more than 2 guys. A plague or any logical religion, or the fact that their parents usually always choose the man. But if you want a magical world where humans dont act like humans and are instead just cartoons go ahead. Just Dont pretend you're accurate, immersive or realistic.

>> No.56025589

>>55992609
>I'll complain about people roleplaying as if they were in THE CURRENT YEAR while shoving THE CURRENT YEAR morality and flawed understanding of medieval times as my entire argument
Single mothers are not a modern development and most roleplaying settings take place in an anachronistic renaissance/age of discovery where there's no guns, not in the 10th century.

>> No.56025622 [SPOILER] 
File: 296 KB, 1000x978, 1508787147929.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>56025574
>People didnt regularly bathe
You mean like how everyone thought the earth was flat? Or how everyone shat in chamberpots and just emptied them in the middle of the street? Or how the Catholic Church condoned witchburnings?

If there's anything I detest the "enlightenment" for, it's how much it skewed our perception of the so-called Dark Ages.

>> No.56026451

>>55994430
>Now if only we could convince people about global warming - if we can survive the next century or century and a half, we'll have cleared the gap into functional indestructibility as a whole.
"Global warming" is 90% caused by the earth getting slightly closer to the sun. We've gone through various 40°c min eras and various glaciar eras in earth's history. Mankind has less power over the enviroment than a single small volcano.

Also the sun only has arpox 500k years left. Earth is doomed.

>> No.56026510

>>56025574
Don't try and couch your arguments as being factual when you're clearly wrong. People bathed in the "Dark Ages" and there have been plenty of cultures where certain kinds of promiscuity were encouraged

>the priestesses of Ishtar who may have been ritual prostitutes
>the ancient Greek tradition of pedastry
>the fact that whorehouses have existed forever and women didn't instantly die of disease from all the men they serviced.

This is basic stuff. Do some research before making retarded claims about how people used to live

>> No.56027017

I have a question. What if, like what if the Bard isn't her type, and she is into Wizards. How would you party wizard react to a barmaid flirting with him?

>> No.56027078

>>56027017
Pocket sand and running.

>> No.56027286

>>56027017
Bluff and Disguise are both class skills for a bard and he's got enough magic to keep up the illusion for one night

>> No.56027435

This happened all the fucking time in medieval times IRL. Did you think people were robots back then?

>> No.56027492
File: 108 KB, 346x260, sip.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55993419
>Victorian era historians gave us an accurate portrayal of all of history before then
Also swords weren't sharpened and armor was so heavy you couldn't get on a horse.

>> No.56027501

What if my character is a female bard, but still fucks around at every tavern.

>> No.56027515

>>56025574
Literally everything in your post is addressed by
>>55994683

A tip for the future: Just because a meme has prominence in pop culture doesn't mean it's historically factual.

>> No.56027674
File: 47 KB, 500x475, 1508430119659.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>56023938
> 5+mb img

How excessive!

>> No.56028041

>>55992609
>muh medieval realism

Why is it every time somebody uses the "realism card" they have no idea what they are talking about?

>> No.56028064

Why do terrible threads thrive on here and actual discussion pertaining to RPGs, the contents therein, and advice pertaining to playing said RPGs languish? I answered OP (who is a faggot, btw) about their assertions, and refuted them all. So did a couple of other people... Now, what? Five hundred have since told them they're wrong. Was that necessary? How about the conversation on medieval economics? Why was that even brought up? Or better, the fucking advocates of the vaguely established political philosophy of, "socialism," bitching with people about the merits and shortcomings of hypotheticals. That's fun! Maybe we can talk about contraband laws and Trump while we are at it, or maybe the pharmaceutical industry, maybe some fucking youtube personality!

My point is, why does this always happen on here? Why, specifically, here? Was this forum founded on an ancient Indian burial sight or some shit? The QST forum and other places thrive, and deliver excellent content pertaining to their subject matter. Hell, according to the 1d4chan this place use to regularly create its own fucking RPG systems on a whim and virtually redefined the pen and paper, industry several times. What the hell happened?

>> No.56028150

>>55992609
>Le bard may-may is unrealistic because it doesn't makes sense to the time period
>Bard still has to pay alimony
I know this is b8, but Anon, I-

>> No.56028328

>>55996647
Adding more prostitutes to my game, thanks anon.

>> No.56028358

>>55996647
>30-50% of the economy of most cities was related to the prostitution business
I REALLY need a source on that. 50% of the economy? That sounds like something that'd happen in highly exceptional whorecity cases, not the norm.

>> No.56028515

>>56028041
>Why is it every time somebody uses the "realism card" they have no idea what they are talking about?

Because it's a purposeless argument they're using to get their way in a cowardly, chicken shit manner.

>> No.56028701

>>56028358
Most of what I know on the topic is from lecture and a couple of papers that were reading for some class. However I think

https://www.amazon.com/Prostitution-Eastern-Mediterranean-World-Medieval/dp/1784536520/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1502707271&sr=8-8&keywords=history+of+prostitution

https://www.amazon.com/Common-Women-Prostitution-Sexuality-Medieval/dp/0195124987/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1502707271&sr=8-5&keywords=history+of+prostitution

likely have what you are looking. They look like they are aimed most at academics so they may be a bit of a dry read. For what a more 'pop history' read

https://www.amazon.com/Love-Sale-World-History-Prostitution/dp/0802141846/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1502707271&sr=8-2&keywords=history+of+prostitution

https://www.amazon.com/Selling-Sex-Silver-Valley-Business/dp/1467136565/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1502707271&sr=8-4&keywords=history+of+prostitution

https://www.amazon.com/London-Underworld-Victorian-Period-First-Person/dp/0486440060/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1502707633&sr=8-17&keywords=history+of+prostitution

and that may be more enjoyable to read. All of those book have good reviews and look to be giving wide coverage on the topic. Less so on the latter for "The London Underworld in the Victorian Period..." and "Selling Sex in the Silver Valley..." but I think those books will make up for with good focus on prime places to base a campaign off of. Pick one that looks good to you.

Hope that helps.

>> No.56029081

>>55992609
>Why doesn't my post modern, egalitarian philosophy apply to all made up places and people, how could these made up people act differently?! Why don't that automatically reach the same conclusion I did?

Here's your (you).

>> No.56030337
File: 45 KB, 351x444, 1_solar_output.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>56026451
>"Global warming" is 90% caused by the earth getting slightly closer to the sun.
Wrong

>> No.56030446

>>56028064
lol

>> No.56030812

>>56026451
>"Global warming" is 90% caused by the earth getting slightly closer to the sun.
Are you literally retarded? The earth's distance from the Sun varies largely during its orbit, it does not vary the temperature.

>We've gone through various 40°c min eras and various glaciar eras in earth's history.
>hurr the temperature changes all the time bro
The problem is it's changing way too fucking fast you twit.

>Also the sun only has arpox 500k years left
Where the fuck did you even get that statistic? Infowars? The sun won't go red giant for several billion years.

>Earth is doomed.
For once, you're right. Earth is fucking doomed, and humanity is going right with it, all thanks to absolute retards like you. How did you even make it through elementary school? You should've been kept in the special needs class for your entire fucking life.

>> No.56030867

>>55995679
>the poor, who decry it as crushing because they're already living on pennies because we haven't given them the proper resources to realize that maybe spending their whole paycheck on white nikes isn't a great financial idea.

Yea, that's totally what I was doing with my money when living in poverty, anon. Not desperately clinging on to what bills I could and living so barebones all, not most, of my clothes had holes. Nope, I went right for the fucking white Nikes.

I don't even buy expensive shoes now that I'm at least at a comfortable financial position. Shit's retarded.

>> No.56030936

>>55996180
>The rest could easily be gotten rid of by dropping dumb shit like food stamps. Why not just socialize a few farms and give the poor food directly?

Let me tell you, as a person that was poor as shit and actually used the food stamps for what they were supposed to do, NO ONE ELSE DID. Literally everyone else in the neighborhood just sold their stamps for drugs and booze or used some refund scam bullshit to 'trade in' and get the same shit. Food stamps are useless as a system and the only reason they helped me was because I wasn't a fucking idiot. Which, and I say this with as much affection as possible to my nation, almost all Americans are.

>> No.56030944
File: 207 KB, 600x635, Slowly, Gently....png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>> No.56030972

>>56030337
>>56030812
He's technically correct. The sun will eventually expand into a red giant and swallow the Earth, which will make it hotter than runaway greenhouse effects could ever do.
I know that's not what he's talking about, I'm just being pedantic.

>> No.56031028

>>56030867
Don't try to argue with people like that. They'll just tell you you're an exception, or "a lot of people do that!" or some shit.
And if somehow you get successful, they'll tell you it's entirely because of your hard work even if you insist you know people who worked as hard and are still in trouble, telling shit like "they didn't work smart" or "you're too modest"
it's not worth it

>> No.56031083

>>55992609
You are aware that the whole "omg no one in the past ever had sex outside of marriage" was a calumny perpetrated by the victorians and their revisionist history tendencies, right? Their fictions have persisted on a cultural level, long since disproven by actual historians. "Virgin births" were relatively common, and explained away pregnancies outside wedlock.

>> No.56031190

>>56031028
Yea, because god damn it's sheer fucking LUCK I'm in my upper middle class position now. Everyone worked hard, I was the one who was in the right place at the right time.

But you're right, people like that aren't worth the effort.

>> No.56031264
File: 20 KB, 320x240, oh myyy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>56028701

Cool, who knew that whoring was so popular and pervasive.

>> No.56031299
File: 3 KB, 117x125, 1508628472068.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>55992609
>tl;dr: Be more like the paladin, he knows that bitches ain't shit.
Implying the Paladin doesn't spread his holy seed in all his fellow sisters.

>> No.56031333

>>56030812
>The earth's distance from the Sun varies largely during its orbit, it does not vary the temperature.

Also, the Earth is closest to the sun in January.

>> No.56031460

>>55996518
>when your accomplishment as a board is arguing about condoms and bastard children as opposed to jews and leftists

>> No.56031547
File: 593 KB, 2378x1492, how does a centaur wipe its ass.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>56016121
Or horse anuses.

>> No.56031569

>>56030812
>Are you literally retarded? The earth's distance from the Sun varies largely during its orbit, it does not vary the temperature.

It's too short of a time to vary the temperature. However, the sun does go through cycles and these do influence the planet's temperature. It's what the farmer's almanac uses.

>>56030812
>The problem is it's changing way too fucking fast you twit.

No, it isn't. The Global warming studies are alarmist bullshit spread by corporate interests to create a new method financial extortion and services pertaining to said service. All their computer models have been wrong, repeatedly.

>>56030812
>Where the fuck did you even get that statistic? Infowars? The sun won't go red giant for several billion years.

I agree with you there, I have no idea what the fuck he is talking about.

>>56030812
>For once, you're right. Earth is fucking doomed, and humanity is going right with it, all thanks to absolute retards like you. How did you even make it through elementary school? You should've been kept in the special needs class for your entire fucking life.

Earth is going to outlive all of us, and probably a few more iterations of other intelligent life. Your pathetic human actions will have no affect on the planet, not even in the short term.

>> No.56031590

>>56023535
>The Clerics there do not approve of whore-mongering.
>Bard has to undertake a task for them or donate money to their coffers to repair their leaky roof, then renounce his whore-mongering ways.

>> No.56031642

>>55993386
>Having sex with a person you find attractive makes you a whore?
Having sex outside of an established relationship makes you a whore.

>> No.56031666

>>56021758
You realize the farms by and large aren't coastal, yes? California is a big state, and is most certainly not only San Fran or LA.

>>56020115
> nations WITH the space, like the USA, Russia or China, will lack the imports necessary to build and maintain the infrastructure needed to ensure the large cities and urban areas are adequately supplied by national food goods.
And that's the key word: cities. Cities will collapse wholesale. Hicks in the middle of the country are going to have a bad time, but not nearly as bad as the poor schmuck scraping by in NYC-- which goes along with what anon is sperging about.

>>56022010
Yeah, you're right. Without big corporations and generous subsidies, all of our knowledge, technological, progress, and means of production will be destroyed.

>> No.56031680

>>56031460

We've fallen a long way.

>> No.56031683

>>56031569
>Your pathetic human actions will have no affect on the planet, not even in the short term.

Are you telling me Acid Rain was a hoax, too

>> No.56031721

>>56031683
I'm telling you that sedimentary deposits in the rain return to the earth and don't go back up into the air outside of fires, volcanic, or industrial activity, and have zero impact on the planet.

>> No.56031761

>>56031721
I don't think you know what acid rain is, anon.

>> No.56031833

>>56031683
Also, I'll give you another example of how full of shit the scientific community is, that you are putting so much faith in. About five years ago the globally recognized tree population was at around 250 billion. In the last two years they raised that number to 13.5 trillion. A census of the global tree population is about as simple of a thing as you can possibly come up with, and has a huge impact on regulating our atmosphere, yet they were off by an order of magnitude. That's just the last two years, how many other simple things are they wrong about if they couldn't even be bothered to accuracy count how many fucking trees there are.

>> No.56031948

>>56031833

Your tree info is wrong, as is your larger point.

>> No.56031950

>>56031833
So you found no defense for the acid rain point and opted instead to deflect. Cool.

>> No.56031965

>>56031590
there are lots of different temples with different values anon

>> No.56031972

>>56031965
That's a good point.

>> No.56032065

>>55992609
FILTHY AND DUMB
ELF POSTING SCUM

>> No.56032406

>>55992609
>actually believing people in the middle ages respected such norms
>trying to make a middle age europe of dungeons & dragons

You know, this could be shocking for you but people were more similar to you and me than you think.

>> No.56032452

>>56030812
The sun doesn't need to become a red giant for megafauna to become unsustainable on earth, it just needs to go below 30% hydrogen to start heating up and it's already below 40%.

>> No.56032504

>>56031028
You sound like a poverty cult peddler.
Some people fail no matter how much money is put into them not failing. Taking successful people's money and giving it to the unsuccessful poor will not make everyone successful, it will just make the middle class that depends on the rich to become poor as well.

>> No.56032856

>>56031948
It isn't.

>>56031950
You made no point.

>> No.56032900

>>56032856

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2015/09/earth-home-3-trillion-trees-half-many-when-human-civilization-arose

>Earth today supports more than 3 trillion trees—eight times as many as we thought a decade ago.

The article is retarded, but it supports what I was saying. I'm not sure if their supplied tree amount is more accurate than the what one I gave, but that wasn't my exact point. My exact point was they were wrong about something as simple as counting fucking trees.

>> No.56032998

>>56031950

https://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/2014/02/11/remember-the-acid-rain-scare-global-warming-hysteria-is-pouring-down/#3e211e1253fc

>As it turned out, those widespread fears proved to be largely unfounded, since only one species of tree at a high elevation suffered any notable effect, and acidity in lakes was traced to natural causes. The investigating scientists reported that they had “turned up no smoking gun; that the problem is far more complicated than it been thought; that other factors combine to harm trees; and that sorting out the cause-and-effect was difficult and in some cases impossible.”

Looks like your concerns over acid rain were also bogus.

>> No.56033035
File: 24 KB, 288x252, warriorgivesthelook.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>56031590
>implying fertility cults aren't the most popular
>implying whores aren't everywhere
>implying anyone wants to stop them

>> No.56033398

>>55992609
>Maybe that's his motivation for hunting down the BBEG: he needs to loot the Dark Lord's throneroom so he can pay alimony instead of going to jail and/or being executed.
Except alimony and child support payments also didn't exist in the middle ages. So you're right that the barwench would be fucked (no pun intended), but the bard would basically have no repercussions for it once the party leaves for the next town. Which is pretty much how it was in real life: soldiers/mercenaries slept/raped around leaving a trail of illegitimate children in their wake. Maybe your points stand if you're trying to show that this trope isn't as silly and lighthearted as many treat it to be, but it certainly isn't unrealistic.

>> No.56033453

>>55992609

Prostitution was more accepted back in the day and a tavern wench probably also doubled as whores

>> No.56033544

>>56032900
> something as simple as counting fucking trees.
Counting all the trees on the planet is not simple at all.

>> No.56033553

>>56032900
>point is that scientific thinking evolves as data is collected

What a great point.

>physical surveys and satellite maps in 2015 provide far more data than the era before satellite maps and no physical surveys

No shit.

>estimates before all the data was in were inaccurate

Wow.

>scientists today are concerned that there are only half as many trees today as before the human era

No shit.

>> No.56033981

>>55999687
Marriage in the middle ages happened at a age range of 16 to 21 for serfs with the kingdom in question being a heavy factor in were in that range the "normal' would fall into. Commoners above or below the social rank of serf would marry a few years older ( yes, there was people lower then serfs in the feudal system). Lower ranking Nobles would marry at the age range of 15 to 19 most of the time. Higher ranking nobles would marry at the rate that useful marriages could be made. Their range was all over the damn place at 13 to 32.

>>55992609
>Good job, everyone in her community has now branded her a whore. But wait, it gets better

This may come as a shock but commoners caring if a women is a whore is a product of the counter reformation era.

Unture, see above. At lest of we are talking a peso medieval world.

Untrue on some many levels. Every heard of the cottager system? Because that was one of the major methods of medieval welfair and was partly aimed at single mothers. Basically a cottager got the right to build a house ( a cottage) on common lands and use of said common lands. The cottagers would not have to pay tradation taxes but rather a gift once or twice per year. Think two dozen eggs or some cheese. It was very for the local nobles to set up the cottagers with some means of production. Chickens, dairy cows, textile manufacturing tools and the like.

Why did nobles do this? Two reasons. First damn near everything was man powered thus making sure they persevere their subjects is means to keep their economies growing. Second it made them respected by their subjects and that is very important to keeping control.

As a added note the cottager system was not the only type of welfare in the era medieval, there was a lot more.

>> No.56034225

>>56033981
Who were the people below the serfs? Criminals or vagabonds?

>> No.56034318

>>56033981
Any recommended texts with regards to this sort of thing?

>> No.56034332

>>56034225
Most serfs actually owned their own home, even if they weren't legally permitted to leave it without their lord's permission. Common law relating to agreements between serfs and their lords are the foundation of modern-day renter's rights.

One of the ranks below serfs, villein, were essentially just "villagers," but were so despised by everyone that their name is the origin of the modern-day "villain." Also, you know, slaves and stuff.

>> No.56034586

>>56034225
A lot of people really. Wage based farm hands, traveling tradesmen, season workers, charcoal burners, lumberjacks ( in some areas), cottagers, and of course criminals.

The thing to keep in mind about serfdom, at lest if we are discounting Eastern Europe save Hungary because things worked differently over there, is that serfdom is a contract. Not every rural commoner was a peasant and not every peasant was a serf. A serf was a framer or more rarely a rancher who got a contract for multi generational land use by taking on multi generational oblations. They did some benefits out of that other then just land use. If you did not have a contract of serfdom and did not have you're own land, trade skills with the rights to the needed work space, or direct employment from a noble you were low then that of a serf. Sure you have the right to leave the village you happen to be in unlike a serf, but the serfs can legally kick you out of the village if they want to. You can go to another village after that but then you are right back were you started.

>> No.56035254

>>56033553
>What a great point.

Not when it was less than ten years ago, you know, when they founded the bulk of their global warming projections, you fuck. I'm not letting your pathetic ass dodge around this or play some semantics game. They didn't know how many fucking trees were on the planet, and yet they expect us to believe their environmental readings and projections!?

>physical surveys and satellite maps in 2015 provide far more data than the era before satellite maps and no physical surveys

They've had access to those technologies since the early fucking nineties!

What's that? Jumping ahead of the curb without having hard data leads to horribly inaccurate data? No shit! Sounds a lot like global warming, doesn't it?

Fuck you. Smart ass little bitch. Can't handle having your ass handed to you. You and all the other global warming supporters are faggots of the highest caliber.

>> No.56035338
File: 26 KB, 500x378, How do you function without hitting runtime errors.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>56035254
>missing the point this hard

>> No.56035433

>>56035338

What point dick head. What point did you make? Everything you've said is fucking wrong.

>> No.56035513

>>56031569
>The Global warming studies are alarmist bullshit spread by corporate interests
Fortunately, the multi-billion dollar fossil fuel industry has generously taken it upon themselves to right this wrong with no profit motive whatsoever.

>> No.56035573

>>56035513
Sure, let's go back to rubbing sticks together or use the completely unsustainable "renewable" energy. Fluoride salts are the future of electricity in the next several centuries, but for now, it's nothing but petroleum.

>> No.56035739

>>56035573
There's nothing wrong with nuclear energy, which is also the cleanest source of energy. Unfortunately the fucks arguing for "renewable" energy hate nuclear energy as well, leading to utterly retarded shit like Merkel having some "green coal" initiative, or that fuckboi Macron dismantling France's world class nuclear energy system.

>> No.56035919

>>55992609
You've missed a few points,
>The Bard has convinced the entire town he is a respectable man
That 18 Charisma isn't just for show. That Bard can literally convince an entire town that their basic system of government, or moon worship, or whatever is fucking wrong on good faith of this stranger they have never met before.

>The woman is now ostracized
So wait a second, you are telling me that THE most reliable way to get a decently leveled hero to show up on short notice is going to be ostracized? In a world where your entire ranch getting eaten by a stray Blink Dog is a real thing, people are just not going to sever their lifelines like that.

>The shit about the kid
Except, as D&D follows a more-or-less fantasy setup, there is a solid chance the Bard's children are going to be inherently stronger than Randolph the peasant's children, easily breaking "average" stat scores by their early teens.

>Leaving his child and the woman who had it out to dry
Well, that's on you, buddy. Whose to say the average Bard doesn't send a couple dozen gold pieces home every few weeks after the rest of his team skullfucks an orcish warband and he takes the share he has convinced his team he is due? Maybe some of that GP that you spend casting bard spells IS his alimony. Remember that one GP is a fuckton of money to a commoner.

>Muh medieval society
that also has other species than human vying for power, where people die to stray blink dogs on a regular basis, where any given person can study hard and shoot lighting from their fingers, where king harry just enacted ANOTHER draft calling all able bodied men to go fight orcs again.

>The bard going to jail for something he did, ever
One casting of Glibness and it is the Paladin who is going away for dodging his alimony checks. And losing his Paladin shit. And realizing with horror that the half-elf son he as a human had with that human barmaid while the elf bard chastised him will grow up without a father.

>> No.56036340
File: 37 KB, 356x536, 1428656013046.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>56026451

>> No.56036542

>>56031569
>Your pathetic human actions will have no affect on the planet
Depends on how you look at it I guess, the Earth will certainly still exist after we're gone, but it'd be silly to say we're not harming it and the life on it with our actions.

>>56032452
...Which will still take a billion years.

>> No.56036645

>>56035739
There is nothing wrong with proper nuclear energy. Unfortunately, the model of nuclear reactor we use is the shitty one that produces waste.
Because reasons.

>> No.56037251

>>56035254
>yet they expect us to believe their environmental readings and projections!?

Nobody expects you to 'believe' anything. The evidence has been collected and speaks for itself. You just don't like what it says and let your emotions dictate what you believe is real and would rather stick your head in the dirt like a fucking ostrich.

>> No.56037282

>there are flat earthers and climate deniers
>they somehow figured out how to post on 4chan
Every day is a new surprise.

>> No.56037373

>>56037282
Wait'll you see the people who think science itself is a hoax but technology is fine since it's completely unrelated to science

>> No.56037452

Should have stayed in this thread.

>> No.56037541

>>55993318
>Because barmaid is so respectable???
Barmaid is de facto whore in some cultures anyway.

>> No.56037577

>>55993525
>unless the party turns against the bard
What if they turn out the bard?

There's good coin to be made from this.

>> No.56037594

>>55992609
>>using a universal history approach on a fictional universe
Okay.

>> No.56037620

>>55994545
>>My mother is a dragon
>"and your father?"
>Ma always said he was delicious.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action