Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

2017/01/28: An issue regarding the front page of /jp/ has been fixed. Also, thanks to all who contacted us about sponsorship.

/tg/ - Traditional Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 55 KB, 367x360, 1386181350363.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40311910 No.40311910 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

I don't see a that guy thread, so might as well start one. This happened last night.

>Play fun dnd 3.5 planehopping adventures game with cool DM, two guys, and a "that guy"
>Last week, DM says to make new sheets for a mysterious reason
>Don't question it, character making is fun
>Make a chaotic evil warshaper lady who puts on the face of civility most of the time
>That guy ends up making some ghoul with multiple arms and paralyzes people like crazy
>Time skip a week to the next session
>We're exploring a temple and fight a golden orb artifact
>Artifact gives us a vision of a previous adventuring parting that tried to get the treasure here
>The adventuring party has our newly made characters and some npcs
>We get to control our new characters in this vision, cool stuff
>Party faces off against strange albino elves controlling the pyramids
>They have powerful ancient magic never seen before, including staffs that no save kill you
>Elves kill off most of the npcs, including the leader of the party
>My character laughs at the mayhem
>Elves killed
>My character mentions that we should give the dead party member's shares of the loot to their families
>That guy quickly grabs at the staff and kills my character
>Everyone laughs
>I ask why he did it
>He said it was because I laughed when the party leader, his "best friend", died
>Have to sit through the rest of the session awkwardly while it continues

What about you guys?

>> No.40311949

>dnd 3.5
>character making is fun
OP, you are one of the worst liars I have ever seen.

>> No.40312353

Player in the party here, he did not sit through the rest of the session awkwardly. He rage quit seconds after the deed was done.

Eat shit, grand :)

>> No.40312419
File: 113 KB, 960x810, 1380046175257.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40312419

>>40311910
>Laughs at death of party member
>Expects no repercussions

Are you sure you're not that guy, OP?

>> No.40312518

>>40312419
Not him, but laughing at the misery of others is a common occurance in my party.

>> No.40312537

Yeah, Alexander Pochert.

If I were an admiral, I'd sue you in a grand case for distasteful conduct.

>> No.40312569

>>40312353
I don't fucking blame him.
If I were the GM I would have shot that down immediately.
Fuck PVP man.

Especially with shitty "boom you're dead" mechanics.

>> No.40312682

>>40311910
No, your character deserved that.

>> No.40312687

>powerful ancient magic never seen before
>some guy grabs a staff and can use it

I'm not familiar with DnD, but does this happen?

>> No.40312726
File: 14 KB, 246x250, 044.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40312726

>chaotic evil warshaper lady
>laughs at the mayhem
>we should give the dead party member's shares of the loot to their families

>> No.40312786

>>40312353
OP got REKT

>> No.40312823
File: 1.66 MB, 1053x1070, 1428506712800.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40312823

>>40312726
I believe you want pic related instead.

>> No.40312889

>>40311910
Thats why ill never play with people i dont know
These stories always seem to boil down to "whos gonna be the biggest faggot for no real reason?"

>> No.40312893

>>40311910
>fun dnd 3.5
Know how I know you are making this whole thing up?

>> No.40312918

>>40312419
I'm pretty sure he meant the character was psychopathic and was laughing at the fact that she was in a chaotic bloody situation, not that she was laughing and taunting the dead characters.

>> No.40312937

>>40312823
I'm on my phone.
The resolution doesn't go high enough for it to change.

>> No.40313004

>>40312889
hes been friends with this person for 5 years now, grand is just a fucking drama queen

>> No.40313041

I'm more interested in why the DM thought was a good idea to give weapons that kill with no saves whatsoever to an evil party. Or to anyone.

>> No.40313043

>>40312687
Not unless you've maxed out Use Magic Device. And even then activating a magic item blindly tends to have a rather high DC.

>> No.40313084

>>40313041
which honestly makes me wonder what else the OP isn't telling us about this situation, assuming it's real in the first place.

>> No.40313141

>>40313043
Well, hang on, as an addendum: sentient objects/artifacts will sometimes decide to play along until they can (in the case of evil sentients) take over a new host or (in most other cases) determine if the guy who picked them up is worth listening to.
>>40313041
The fool probably thought they wouldn't immediately pick it up. I personally would have had it shatter upon the defeat of the guy who was using it. Soulbound items and shit.

>> No.40313179

http://thegoodsirs.net/forum/index.php?topic=6751.msg120706;topicseen#new

its the 5th post in this thread that is the session. The artifacts that managed to no save blow up heads dont even exist anymore (DM confirmed)

>> No.40313318

>>40311910
I am 95% positive that OP's pic is from a manga about school-enforced crossdressing, and that "girl" is a dude. Ergo, OP is a faggot.

>> No.40313366

>>40313318
Correction: 100% positive.

>> No.40313411
File: 853 KB, 640x962, OP is being criminally fagtastic.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40313411

>>40313318
>>40313366

>> No.40313482

>>40313411
I highly recommend reading it though. Anyone who doesn't is as big a faggot as OP.

>> No.40313494

>>40313482
is it Reversible!

>> No.40313512
File: 37 KB, 239x421, Ur a.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40313512

>>40313482
I've got too much shit to keep up with as it is, even though I do have a soft spot for gender-bending manga.

>> No.40313528

>>40313494
It is Reversible!

http://www.mangareader.net/1700-54084-21/reversible-school-life/chapter-1.html

The proof of the pudding is in the faggotry.

>> No.40313549

>>40313512
It's only 15 chapters.

>> No.40313593

>>40313179
>some cunt just kills two party members just like that
>while playing a cooperative roleplaying game
Fucking wow. That's the kind of bullshit that's immediately followed by "It's what my character would do!" with a smug grin like that absolves any and all assholery.

>> No.40313606

>>40313549
I'll have to dogear it for later, then. I don't have the luxury of late nights at the moment.

>> No.40313626

>>40313593
iirc they're not actually dead.

was a vision, aka not real

>> No.40313643

>>40313606
>I don't have the luxury of late nights at the moment.
Oooooooooh myyyyyyyyy.

>> No.40313690

>>40313643
It's, unfortunately, work-related. Grape vines don't wait for any man, and I've got to be out there early otherwise I'll cook to death in the sun.
Being a peasant is suffering.

>> No.40313707

>>40313626
I don't think the players had any idea how long that vision would last. Regardless, killing another player's character like that is fuckinng retarded in a COOPERATIVE game. It makes the party's life harder, it makes your life harder, and it ruins any chance of the player who controlled that character having any fun whatsoever.

>> No.40314126
File: 1.17 MB, 1136x6808, heartofadragon.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40314126

Let's try and get some fresh content and here. This was a recent attempt of mine at holding a 1x1 freeform roleplay. I should have known to turn tail when the character she played was the same art as her avatar.

>> No.40314636

>>40314126
Too long, didn't read.

>> No.40315018
File: 64 KB, 381x403, 1430878521027.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40315018

>>40312353
I can see the reason why he would rage quit, I would too if I was in his situation
>>40311910
My worst that guy moment
>Be playing whfb,40 and d&d with a couple of guys
>That guy is there
>That guy sneezes into the french onion dip
>Mfw

>> No.40318347

>>40314126
I've seen this before. While it is good, I don't believe it is your work.

>> No.40320174

>>40311910
what anime is this

>> No.40320220
File: 177 KB, 236x333, concerned bear.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40320220

>>40315018
>That guy sneezes into the french onion dip
Holy shit, I would feel so remorsefully if I ever sneezed on someone else's food.

>> No.40320276

>>40313318
>>40313366
Sauce?

>> No.40321567

>Everyone's made their characters and are ready to go
>That Guy's character name is Hitler, has a picture of Hitler as his reference picture and has German as one of his languages
>DM vetoes it for obvious reason
>That Guy gets a little mad but says he'll change it
>Couple of minutes later he changed the name to Hitler's last name, Fuhrer, photoshopped a pair of sunglasses on his Hitler picture and added ranks into the Disguise skill
>DM gives it the thumbs up

what the fucking hell man

>> No.40321593

>>40312353
Well duh. It's pretty shitty to not at least let him roll up something new. He didn't come over just to stare at the wall.

>> No.40321733

>>40321567
He's not the that guy; you are. That's goddamn hilarious.

>> No.40321752

>>40321567
I dunno, that's pretty funny man.

>> No.40321792

>>40321733
>>40321752
I think it's pretty stupid and would ruin my fun if I had to play with it in my party. Next you'll make a dedicated fart joke character or something.

>> No.40321848

>>40321733
>>40321752
Maybe it would have been more acceptable if we weren't playing מבוכים ודרקונים

>> No.40321863

>>40321848
Why hebrew of all languages?

>> No.40321925

>>40320276
A dude is accused of being a pervert, so he's sent to a boys' school where half the male student body is traps.

http://www.mangareader.net/1700/reversible-school-life.html

>> No.40321954

>>40321792
The guy has to constantly succeed disguise checks to keep his charade up, and then if a particularly attentive person pays him enough attention they might notice anyway and hilarity will ensue. The party can apprehensively pretend to not notice, but seriously? They've all noticed something's off by now. But, hey, as long as he's not trying to build an evil army how much harm can he do, right? Everyone deserves a chance to redeem themselves.

Why is hitler hiding in a hebrew area, of all places? What is his endgame? Will he be found out? The plot hooks abound.

I would have agreed that him just being Hitler would have been silly. But with the way his character is built now he's pretty much a war criminal in disguise, living life on the razor's edge.

>> No.40322001

>>40321954
>Why is hitler hiding in a hebrew area, of all places?
Who the hell would suspect that Hitler was hiding in Israel?

>> No.40322004
File: 10 KB, 206x212, shibe hats u.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40322004

>playing WoD
>take Nightmares Flaw
>middle of the game, we're going to sleep
>roll to see if I'm having nightmares
>holy fuckshit yes, someone wake me up
>the day after the game, the ST asks me what I rolled for while going to sleep, clearly not paying attention
>remind him I took Nightmares for a flaw and now that they fucked me up, I earn some xp
>throws a sissyfit that I "didn't roleplay my flaw with the rest of the group"
>argue I wouldn't tell about my horrible night-horrors to some strangers I just met
>sends me this whole fucking page of how I'm trying to rollplay and that his game is not about that and that I'm a rollplayer and that his game blah blah
>he's clearly not paying attention to what I'm telling him, so I give up and stop responding

>next game he says he changes the way xp is rewarded
>"because some people think this is a rollplaying game"
>mfw

>> No.40322068

Okay, So I know it's That Guy ish to do things without the party, against the party, especially LE things.

But what if I bring in other party members and do it with them?

>> No.40322159
File: 296 KB, 1720x1236, eh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40322159

>>40320174
mfw

>> No.40322170

>>40322159
lol, newfag

>> No.40322200
File: 14 KB, 206x164, esd.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40322200

>>40321567
>hitler's last name
>fuhrer

what

>> No.40322235

>>40322200
Dude, didn't they teach you that in school?

>> No.40322274

>>40322235
This
What kind of retard doesn't know that Hitler Fuhrer took over the whole world with of the help of the Commies in World War II, only to have his ass fucked when America joined the war and singlehandedly destroyed his entire army on D-Day. What a retard.

>> No.40322309

>>40322274
>Hitler Fuehrer
Uh Hitler was his last name. He would be Adolf Fuehrer.

>> No.40322704
File: 202 KB, 988x380, nazisamongus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40322704

>>40321567

>> No.40322710

>>40322309
I was confused for a bit too and came to the conclusion that Adolf Furher was probably what he meant.

But now you reminded me that people do tend to be idiotic enough to not know what Hitler's last name was.

>> No.40322930
File: 27 KB, 520x620, germanyoshi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40322930

>>40321567
>changed the name to Hitler's last name
>Fuhrer

Yes and Obama's last name is President.

>> No.40323010

>>40322930
Don't be fooled, it's Hussein, just like Osama.

>> No.40323055
File: 10 KB, 251x200, hitler p2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40323055

>>40321567
I wonder where you might've gotten the idea for this.

>> No.40323062

>>40320220
This so much, I'd have to buy 2 of the thing to replace it or else I'd feel like such a dick

>> No.40323084

>>40321567

>photoshopped a pair of sunglasses on his Hitler picture and added ranks into the Disguise skill
I approve.

>> No.40323550

You know what's worse than That Guy?

That Group.

No, don't give me that "You're That Guy in That Group" talk. Sometimes, a terrible group is just a terrible group.

>> No.40323658

>>40323550

Sounds like you might have some stories to share, anon.

>> No.40326851

>>40313318
>OP is a faggot.
Everyone on /tg/ sounds like a faggot.
What the hell, I'm starting to question myself too.

>> No.40327266

>>40322004
We've heard your story before.

>> No.40328468

>>40321848
>playing מבוכים ודרקונים
No idea what the Jew runes say but that probably makes playing Mr A. H. Fuhrer better.

>> No.40328568

>>40326851
Everyone is a faggot online, anon.

>> No.40330472

>>40326851
That I knew the picsauce means I'm a faggot too, and

>>40320276
>>40320174
>>40313512
>>40313494

Are faggots as well.

>>40313690
This guy is Italian though, so he gets a pass.

>> No.40330538

"That guy" here, I'll admit it was kind of shitty but we've played in probably a dozen games together and this is the one of the only times we've been in a consequence free silly part of a game where being a murder hobo was fine. His character, as always, was being an asshole so I private messaged the dm asking if my umd was high enough to activate blindly and got a yes so I went for it. Another player suicided seconds after that by scratching his head with the staff and doing an ooc activate blindly check. The whole thing was just silliness, the DM specifically told us to make throw away sheets and recommended just rolling up level 9 fighters.
It was a dick move but it was a fucking hilarious dick move if you were there.

>> No.40331266

>>40330472
>guy posting at 5.38 gmt+1 time about going to bed early
>italian
Central america at best. Learn your timezones.

>> No.40332019

>>40322930
>>40323010
His name is Obama bin Laden, duh.

>> No.40332607

>>40331266
>Implying there are no Italians in America

>> No.40332662

>>40332607
>there is no italy in america but somehow there are italians
Are you an idiot?

>Select all images with pasta or noodles.
Fuck you, captcha.

>> No.40332707

>>40332607
>works at a vineyard
>must be italian
Those are the French, don't mix us up.
We are the mafia and pizza guys.

>> No.40332736

>>40332662
I guess there are no Mexicans living in America either. Shit, been living in a ghost town all my life and never even noticed.

>> No.40332760

>>40332736
Don't be silly, there is a Mexico in America.

>> No.40332771

>>40332760
>implying new mexico exists

>> No.40332993
File: 290 KB, 1086x768, Fuhrer the Master of Disguise.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40332993

>>40321567
Capped

>> No.40333236

>>40330538
imo OP was totally that guy.

>throw away character dies in flashback
>has to whine about it on /tg/

>> No.40337249
File: 30 KB, 600x328, Johny_Hitler.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40337249

>>40321567

>> No.40338305

>>40314126
>Government Plates
If this is you, you're cool.

>> No.40338997

>>40322004
>Rolls for an in game event relating to their character. ST doesn't know about it or what the result was. Rewards self with Exp anyway.

You are That Guy.

>> No.40339055

>>40338997
>You are That Guy, because I make baseless assumptions

I showed the motherfucker my sheet, I told him I'm taking the Flaw and he sayed it's okay. I showed him my whole fucking sheet and he saw nothing wrong that time either.

And no, I didn't "reward self with exp anyway", you retarded faggot. In fact I didn't get exp for that session. Neither did anybody else.

>> No.40339143
File: 45 KB, 398x600, SuperMechaDeathFuhrer3000.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40339143

>>40321567
I don't see the problem here. Hitler Fuhrer is a pretty cool guy, do you have a problem with him?

>> No.40339208
File: 80 KB, 551x372, laughing jerusalem youth.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40339208

>>40321567
>Hitler's last name, Fuhrer

Brilliant

>> No.40339241

>>40311910
>staffs that no save kill you
Terrible GMing. Find a better group

>> No.40339499
File: 27 KB, 800x600, germany_explained.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40339499

>>40322930
>Hitler mentioned
>Germoneyball gets Reich eyes
Germoney no, you must resist

think of some nice cars

>> No.40340539

>>40321567
>Persona 2 final boss.txt

>> No.40341601

>>40313482
I was so dissatisfied with the ending of the manga. I wanted to shout "JUST SAY YOU FUCKING LOVE HIM ALREADY!"

>> No.40343633
File: 24 KB, 221x239, 111110.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40343633

>Pathfinder Evil Campaign Way of the Wicked
>Be me. An Anti-Paladin
>Looting a room of guardsmen we just killed
>One of them has a holy symbol on him to his LG god
>My character hates that LG God/followers of LG God based on torturous backstory and has scars to prove it
>My character loots what he can, but spits on and leaves the Holy symbol. Says a cure to the LG God.

That Guy breaks character and goes on to explain for 10 solid minutes that RP is fine, but RP to the detriment of the group as a whole is grounds for PvP in the group. By not looting that holy symbol "I have effectively stolen gold from the group." He then theoretically explains how a CE Barbarian PC group member would also see that as a reason I should be killed immediately.
This was 1 hour into the FIRST SESSION. Over me personally not looting a holy symbol of my hated rivals god as an Anti-Paladin.

WTF

>> No.40343689

>>40343633
burn your DM to the ground

>> No.40343738

>>40343689
It was a PC not the DM. The DM just was quiet the whole time.

The rest of the part didn't speak up, but all gave a look of. STFU man....

I told him I was fully justified in leaving the item and if he had a problem with me personally not taking it when I hadn't said shit about anyone else taken it.
Then that is just stupid as fuck.

>> No.40344549

>That Guy rolls a character with 17 Str, 12 Dex, 16 Con, 11 Int, 9 wisdom, 13 Cha
>Decides to be a cleric

>> No.40344651

>>40344549
I think you are That Guy. The cleric player wants to roleplay an actual character, not a minmaxed stat block.

>> No.40344695
File: 142 KB, 502x446, Nigga-You-best-be-trolling.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40344695

>>40344651
>negative modifier in the class's single most important attribute
>HURR HE JUST WANNA ROLEPLAY NOT ROLLPLAY

>> No.40344824

>>40344549
If this is 5E, its honestly not that bad. If this is 3.5/pf then he literally cannot cast spells. Would have actually been better off being an NPC class and is a huge drain on the party doing anything.

>>40344651
You figure out what system this is before you decry someone

>> No.40344862

>>40344824
Wait, there's a FIVE E now?

>> No.40345785

>>40344862
Wait, there was a FOUR E?

>> No.40345815

>>40344862
Yeah, it's been getting tremendous positive press and has been selling well enough to get mentioned by Hasbro's president during a press event. That's a big deal for D&D.

They're also going out of their way to avoid splat creep. There hasn't even been a published rules supplement yet, though they've had a number of free online releases which are generally pretty well received.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/style/2014/12/26/1Says1bHlR7GBsCy9QAwbJ/story.html

There's a paragraph in the PHB that explains you can be whatever race or gender or whatever you want and still be whatever class you want, which is thoroughly mocked on /tg/ as one might expect, but it has actually helped the perception and success of the game. As much as it's always been true that "your 12th level wizard might be gay" (as that Boston Globe article phrases it), it's helped dispel some of the baggage that goes with the hobby.

>> No.40345872

>>40345815
>but it has actually helped the perception and success of the game
BULL
FUCKING
SHIT
That paragraph did nothing but cause social justice warriors who didn't go on to play D&D to give themselves an undeserved pat on the back.

>> No.40345891

>>40345815
>You can be a male Valkyrie in 5e

fucking dropped

>> No.40345925

>>40345815
It was absolutely hilarious seeing all the butthurt here about how "they made Corellon genderqueer just to placate SJWs" when that's always been the case.

>> No.40345949
File: 70 KB, 480x600, swine.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40345949

>>40345815
>>but it has actually helped the perception and success of the game
>the least relevant part of a game helped it's success
>not realising you're in /tg/ and not tumblr

>> No.40346125

>>40345872
>>40345949
>didn't read the Boston Globe article
I'm sorry, what? You're just going to ignore that bit which decidedly shows that yes, it HAS helped how the game's viewed, and that this in turn gets more people willing to try the game? Which means more players? Which means a healthier community, and better times for all involved?

I'm not pretending like it's a MAJOR contributor to the game's success, but if I can tell people I enjoy the hobby without it drawing out inane conversations and bizarre assumptions about my character, good. If I can get more friends to try their hand at the game, good. If I can now run a one-shot for family members after Thanksgiving dinner and everyone can partake of this thing I like, turning it into a thing WE like, good.

I don't give a shit if some armchair activists get off on it, it's still a good thing for me.

>> No.40346128

>>40345872
>>40345949
Except it did help you drooling retards. You forget that, amazingly, there are people on this planet who DON'T PLAY D&D. There are even some who, *gasp* DON'T KNOW WHAT D&D ACTUALLY IS. By including a small paragraph that essentially just says "We're not assholes, just do what you want," 5e gets plenty more reviews by people who are following the current trend of LGBT acceptance. A trend that a lot of people follow. This helps get the D&D name out there to new players who either have never played or never heard of Dungeons and Dragons, and with 5e being the best edition for new players, it opens up a whole new wave of consumers to the hobby. And while I'm sure there are plenty of people cringing in their seats right now at the thought of "The SJWs? In MY hobby?" it extends beyond that. More publicity means more people, independent of where the original publicity came from. Surprisingly enough, not everyone who would be a good influence on the hobby currently participates in the damn hobby. Get over yourselves, enjoy the new wave of players that you can teach good habits to, and stop being grognards.

>> No.40346147

>>40344549
Actually, he can be a pretty good War Cleric that uses his spells to support.

>> No.40346180

>>40346128
>>40346125
>implying everyone and their mother hasn't already heard of D&D thanks to TBBT
You're both idiots for buying the propaganda.

>> No.40346204
File: 78 KB, 500x333, atteending the best university.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40346204

>>40346125
>>40346128
See how easy it is to offend tumblr-tards these days? Just point out how much of a bunch of faggots they are.

>> No.40346250

>>40346180
>everyone everywhere knows everything I know
k

>> No.40346318

>>40346204
I don't think you even read those posts. In fact, I'm sure you just saw that someone replied to your bait post with a lot of words, then didn't read them on purpose in case they made you look like a retard, then countered with a "umadthough" response for optimal damage control.

>> No.40346326

>>40346204
>implying I'm mad
>>40346125 here. Did you misread my post somewhere? I'm honestly a bit confused about how you got anger out of it.

>>40346180
I'm not going to pretend I've seen a whole lot of TBBT, but I can't imagine it's portrayal of D&D was anything approaching positive or anything which would get other people into the game.
Would YOU ever play D&D with those guys? I sure as hell wouldn't.

>> No.40346350

>>40345949
>>40345872
Oh geez who let /pol/ in again?

>> No.40346380

>>40346318
>implying anyone reads these posts
>implying anyone cares
>implying it isn't bait-to-bait combat

It's just that yours is shit.

>> No.40346398
File: 531 KB, 441x705, opinions.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40346398

>>40346326
>>40346318
>>40346250
>that one paragraph totally made a difference!
Please, stop embarrassing yourselves.

>> No.40346473

>>40345949
>>the least relevant part of a game helped it's success
The public perception of a social game is the least relevant part?

Are you from the moon?

>> No.40346635

>>40346398
>>40346473
Can we just get back to discussing shitty people? Here's something someone else posted in the 5e general:

>We finally reached 17th level.
>There is a bag of Holding and a +2 Longsword in the party arsenal. No other magic items
>Wizard learns Wish.
>Runs risk of forever losing spell to wish for a sunsword (most of the monsters we fight resist radiant damage but are immune to all other damage).
>Spell steals the sword of one of our NPC allies who then dies horrifically because it was snatched from him in the middle of a fight.
>DM laughs at how stupid the Wizard was for not thinking about the consequences of his actions.
>Succeeds roll so wish can work again, despite the DM saying they have roll twice because they murdered a god's favourite paladin by stealing his sword.
>Later wish, for the ability to craft magic items from unique treasures and the remains of powerful monsters.
>DM takes character sheet away laughing that the Wizard has his wish and is now an NPC.
Also, the wizard has to restart at level 1. Quality DMing everyone!

>> No.40346672

>>40346635
How is it the DM's fault for the player being a fucktard?

>> No.40346744

>>40346672
The consequences of misusing Wish are already in the text. Being especially punitive may make sense when the players is actively trying to abuse a situation, but I don't think that's the case here.

>> No.40346776

>>40346672
What? They're fighting things immune to everything they can do, so they wished to be able to do something about it. Here, the original posts:
>>40343385
>>40343488
>>40343574
>>40344412

>> No.40346880

>>40346635

I probably would have went full murderhobo on the DM ate his heart and brain wore his skull and proceeded to run the game in his plave

>> No.40347023
File: 27 KB, 640x454, 1429726107116.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40347023

>>40346635
>most of the monsters we fight resist radiant damage but are immune to all other damage
What the HELL?

>> No.40347033

>>40311910
I might be about to become a that DM

>old man guide that is sleeping
>party druid with evil soul that randomly comes out
>turns into a tiger and roll roll roll later evil soul
>was literally right next to old man
>attacks
>was a doppleganger all along
>beats her down, druid runs off

>tells party
>eldritch warlock uses madness whispers
>doppleganger in old man form runs off
>gay thief decides to try and find frogman to have sex with
>finds 2
>one decides to stay with
>everyone likes him and asks to build him with levels and join them
>is actually the old man doppleganger plotting revenge


About to build a level 3 fighter class for a doppleganger under the guise of it being a level 1 fighter frogman, that is intent on the parties destruction and the entire party likes the frogguy.

oh boy.

>> No.40347108

>>40347033
Make him Evil so that the Paladin gets at least a slight warning.

>> No.40347148

>>40347108
>paladin

theres a warlock, a thief and a druid.

>> No.40347181

Everyone in my group is that guy.
>we're beginning a new WFRP campaign, new characters
>Alright guys, so my character is a cook and he's really good at it too. He dislikes using weapons and prefers using brass knuckles. When he's drunk he makes analogies to food. He has an insane wish of eating a boiled dragon egg.
>NOO IT'S NOT GRITTY ENOUGH
>alright, so I'll play as my witch hunter, he's obsessed with killing heretics...
>NOO IT'S TOO GRITTY CAN'T YOU PLAY AS A HUMAN WARRIOR SWORD GUY
or
>I'm the GM, I decide to make a campaign about Tzeentch and big demons with hype music in the background
>NOO WARHAMMER IS ABOUT SUFFERING, DYING TO DISEASES AND RATS
>alright you fucks, there's a huge battle, roll the dice to see if you're impaled in the first charge
>YES, IT'S SO REALISTIC, THAT'S TEXTBOOK WARHAMMER

send help, how do I fix them

>> No.40347182 [DELETED] 

>>40311910
You're mad that a one-off character you made for the sole use of a vision got killed?

......you should probably stop playing D&D. I'm worried what'll happen if you lose you may character. You might just die from the sheer salt intake.

>> No.40347237

>>40347181
as for the first thing refuse to change your character

For the second thing, say that the DM has the last word and they can eat shit if they think your campaign isn't grim enough
Also, make them refer to rule 0 and 1

>> No.40347251

>>40346635
This is one of those few times where you are either lying, exaggerating or leaving out key information.

Because if this is literally how the game is, I do not understand why anyone would play with that DM.

>> No.40347283

>>40347251
Key info:
>>40346776

>> No.40347285

>>40346635
Nothing gets me more than people who punish wish in a fashion that doesn't make sense.

You wish to be knowledgeable with all tools but now you're mentally retarded in everything else. :^) Aren't I clever? Shouldn't have wished for anything silly player!

>> No.40347300

>>40347033
Have the Doppleganger fall in love with thief anus and try to redeem himself.

Why is your thief looking for deep frog dickings though?

>> No.40347379

>>40347300
He performed a play of romando and juneio in frog people country and they loved him (fucking 20 charisma with high rolls) followed by the statement "a holes a hole" Followed by the horribly disturbing line of "good, frogs have tons of holes on their back"

point being, hes definetly going to multiclass into bard.

Doppleganger is trying to trick party into leading it and now they want me to start awarding it experience. Their building their own doomsday weapon.

>> No.40347397

>>40347237
Rule 0 applies to the first thing just as much as it applies to the second. if the DM thinks the character is inappropriate for the tone of his game, he's free to shoot it down.


Also, if the players don't like the game, they don't have to play, which very well could have meant that, if he didn't change it around, they would have no game.

This isn't a case of that group, it's just a case of different tastes. He needs to find a group with tastes that match his own.

>> No.40347408

>>40347251
Not me, but they apparently left him so yeah.

>> No.40347446

>>40347379
>Frogs have tons of holes on their back.

Your party deserves to die, everything you render unto them is deserved. Bask in the satisfaction that what you do is right and proper.

>> No.40347556

>>40347237
Another story.
>play as said witch hunter because I refused to be a human warrior sword guy
>after a week of sweat, blood and cursing I managed to earn enough money for a plate armor, I only needed that to advance to the the next class
>Hello mister most famous armorsmith in the capital, I'd like to buy a plate armor.
>NONE IN STOCK, BY THE WAY ROLL INT -30
>failed
>YOU WERE ROBBED AND HAVE TEN CROWNS LEFT :^)

Fuck these guys. They're the only people playing RPGs here so I don't have much choice though.

>> No.40347598

>>40312419
[2015-05-31 05:45:43] Charlotte: "Hmmm, yes, a monument," Charlotte coos before turning towards the temple. She heads on over, her tail slithering through the sand.
[2015-05-31 05:45:44] Lymos: Charlotte's head explodes.
[2015-05-31 05:45:56] Lymos: "FUCK YOU"

I'm going to side with OP here.

>> No.40347687

>>40312353
Entire party confirmed "that guy"

>> No.40347851

>>40311910
You're sound like that guy for being a edgy cunt.

>> No.40348024

>>40347598
>>40347687
This.
OP might be a huge faggot but as far as I'm concerned the rest of the party are even bigger faggots.
All of you should be ashamed of yourselves for being chaotic-stupid metagaming fuck sticks.

>> No.40348154

>>40348024
As far as I was concerned that was some throw-away, have some fun and I get to instakill you guys to show you how 4realsrs this place is without ruining the actual game.

>> No.40350558
File: 451 KB, 4040x626, degredation.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40350558

>>40345815
>it's helped dispel some of the baggage that goes with the hobby.
>but it has actually helped the perception and success of the game

>impying it's good that casuals, tumblrfolk, and laypeople enter into what's still somewhat of a niche hobby after all these years.

>> No.40350614

>>40346128
>random capitalization
>using *actions*

Fuck off.

>> No.40350769

>>40350558
Most of my D&D group are casuals, and it's gone fairly well. There was literally one other guy who knew what he was doing.

>> No.40350918

>>40350558
>Saying casuals with a straight face
Do you have any real friends?

>> No.40350970

>>40350769
>supporting the casualization of niche hobbies

Have you seen what's happened to video games? The internet? Comic books? Anime communities?

>>40350918
>Look ma, I can ad hominem too!

>> No.40351070

>>40350970
How is Dungeons and Dragons making itself deliberately more open going to hurt playing make believe?

>> No.40351137

>>40345815
>There's a paragraph in the PHB that explains you can be whatever race or gender or whatever you want and still be whatever class you want
Didn't they do away with race-based class restrictions after AD&D 2e? I don't really have a problem with that anyway, my friends and I always houseruled that out.
Personally I don't like them getting rid of alignment restrictions on classes

>> No.40351153

>>40321567
Yeah I played Persona 2 also

>> No.40351273

>>40341601
I was shouting,"Rape him, dammit!"

>> No.40351300

>>40351070
>playing make believe?
Everyone knows it's fake, of course, but for a lot of people who are dedicated to their hobby, DnD is more than just a "game" - it's the same with people who truly love vidya/movies/books/comics/etc. - these aren't just hobbies to people, they're part of their lives.

Introducing casuals and changing things to make it more "open" only serves to dilute that for people, because those new people will almost never take it as seriously.

You yourself just called it make believe.

>> No.40351323

>>40350970
People are still unironically worried about "normies" liking what they like?

Elitists like that hurt niche hobbies much more than any amount of casual players

>> No.40351366

>>40351300
But at the end of the day, DnD is still a game played around a table with your friends. Store groups have always been terrible.

Bringing more people into DnD can only serve to give you more players to play with (And ignore, quite easily, if you happen not to like them.) I can't see any downside.

>> No.40351409

>>40351323
Tell that to the comic industry.

>> No.40351579

>>40351409
Comics have always been crap. Look at the Clone Saga.

>> No.40351654

>>40311949
I disagree. I like a challenge.

>> No.40352076

>>40346635
> Be me.
> All the others, DMing, infuriates me.
> Forever-a-DM

>> No.40352285

>>40351070
see picture in >>40350558

> It says a larger margin of our buyers are casuals fagots.
> Oh my god, we have to ramp up the fagotry and we'll be rich!

And frankly, I'd open D&D / PF to the SJW as long as the good stuff remain pandering for the actual fanbases. Let them "enjoy" the lesser stuff and call me a hipster.

>> No.40352387

>>40352285
I don't think that picture really applies in this case. If you are worried about it, then bear in mind that DnD has been on a trend towards simplification since 3e. It's not a modern thing.

Also, be glad that this is a hobby with tons of games that you can get into.

>> No.40354114

>>40351323
>Elitists like that hurt niche hobbies much more than any amount of casual players
How? There's a difference between people discovering the hobby, and the hobby desperately inviting new people.

It's like immigration - there's nothing wrong with someone trying to live a life in a new place, but they should adapt to the customs of the new country. Opening up the borders and letting the immigrants change the ways of the country is the wrong way to do it.

>> No.40354193

>>40352387
>>40352285 here

> I don't think that picture really applies in this case.
Things will level by the bottom line, because for the companies, especially those big'uns like GW and WoTC, that's what matters. And with an heavy focus on the short term.

Although, IMHO, 4th had some good ideas that should have been salvaged (I am partial to the Healing surge mechanics), it was still an unfinished product that would have required a lot more playtesting/tuning up. And it did pander to a new demographic, thus creating the edition war that simply did not happen to 5th edition.

Now, I'd like to point out two hypothesis about why that last part would be the case:

> The 5th edition actually had a team bent on quality control, at least compared to 4th edition.
> Those who cared back then turned their backs on D&D (which happens to be my case)


> If you are worried about it, then bear in mind that DnD has been on a trend towards simplification since 3e.

Please, define simplification:

>3.5 to 4th
One one hand, you've got everyone's healing surge value, bloodied value, conditional bonuses, ongoing status effects to monitor. It seems more complicated to me to handle.

On the other hand, you've got roles, powers and keywords. Feats limited to class / race. Online tools. It seems easier to me to make a choice. A swifter character creation.

Not a simpler game. I'll agree from AD&D to 3.0 there was a lot of simplification however, and I'll admit I do not hold enough data about 5th ed to make a call, it's just that the transition I know of do not follow your trend.

> Also, be glad that this is a hobby with tons of games that you can get into.

I am amused how diversity seems to equal quality in this universe. I wouldn't mind a closed market that listen to their customers and actually strive for a quality product those involved will gladly pay for.

I am worried about an industry that follows trends, as you mentioned about D&D. an influx is not always a good thing.

>> No.40354222

>>40348154

No, you're just a twat who sniffed a hint of an excuse, and decided to try to take advantage of it to be a twat.

>> No.40354267

>>40345872
>hurr gamergate XD
>hurr le hugo awards XD
>hurr muh /pol/ hivemind XD

Time to kill yourself, anon.

>> No.40354268

>>40354114
>>40354193 here
Exactly. PnP should be increasing their available market through the quality of products they generate, not by whoring up for a short term profit.

Nobody wants a NNWoD with Vampire: The Sparkling where everyone can play his own breed of stalker.

>> No.40354300

Can someone post that screencap where anon was a werewolf (the horror-movie kind) and his entire party got killed because That Guy wanted to jack off his character in wolf form?

>> No.40354447

>>40354193
4th is simpler then 3rd, because the layout is more straightforward and unified. A lot of the more fiddly stuff is gone. Feats limited to class/race wasn't new in 4th.

Combat gained complexity, but I'd say the game, overall, was simpler, if only because it gained more focus.

5e is the simplest since Basic. By and large, small bonuses are gone in favor of a single advantage/disadvantage mechanic. Skill selection is the same as 4e. Numbers are compressed. Combat complexity is reduced, a lot. I regard this as a good thing, 5e is my favorite.


>5th edition had a team bent on quality control compared to 4e.
I have no idea what sort of team 4e had, but 5e has a skeleton crew.

5e was absolutely made with an eye towards bringing in new players. It's also a pretty fun game.

>> No.40354497

>>40339055
then explain this
>remind him I took Nightmares for a flaw and now that they fucked me up, I earn some xp
>I earn some xp

>> No.40354721

>>40354114
Because elitists want companies to only cater towards THEIR specific needs instead of thinking about the company and the industry as a whole
They try to chase away newcomers, which makes not only them, but the people who play the games look bad, causing less people to become involved
Elitists want the market to become stagnated for their own sake, even if it slowly starves it to death and they do so by chasing off new people or people they deem "undesirable"

Unfortunately, people who bitch, moan and pout can be found anywhere and everywhere
Fortunately, no one pays attention to their opinions, especially the companies that produce their product

>> No.40354834

>>40350558
>>>/r9k

>> No.40355098

>>40354721
>Because elitists want companies to only cater towards THEIR specific needs
And? That is normal for people to feel about what they love.

>> No.40355123

>>40355098
The problem is that they are incredibly militant and very vocal about it
So much that it drives others away

>> No.40355266
File: 46 KB, 591x960, 1419359846395.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40355266

>>40312353
You sound like a cuck.

>> No.40355373

>>40311910
kill yourself op

>> No.40355485

>>40354721
I am an Elitist.

> Because elitists want companies to only cater towards THEIR specific needs instead of thinking about the company and the industry as a whole

No. Elitists put an emphasis on quality over trends.

> They try to chase away newcomers, which makes not only them, but the people who play the games look bad, causing less people to become involved

No. We try to chase away people not in for the "right reasons". Includes but not limited to: Magical Realms, Mary Sueing, Cloning Drizzt, Attention Whoring.

Elitists want the market to become stagnated for their own sake, even if it slowly starves it to death and they do so by chasing off new people or people they deem "undesirable"

Elitists wants the market to be driven by quality products and demand for quality products. Whoring up to fads make quick profit share holders love but degrade the market.

> Unfortunately, people who bitch, moan and pout can be found anywhere and everywhere

Yes. I just quoted one.

> Fortunately, no one pays attention to their opinions, especially the companies that produce their product

First, I'd argue about the use of the word "Fortunately". Second, I'll agree (mostly) about the rest of the sentence. Third, this is not the only area where I am an elitists and I can assure you it is tiring to repeatedly say "told you so".

Seriously, we're talking about luxury items. Worse, luxury items that can be pirated. Luxury items that have a very, very long shelf life (I still have AD&D core books usable). If they deface their products to cater to people that will not stick around instead of making the hobby grow by providing quality, they'll only be hurting themselves.

But yeah, I am not giving an informed and constructive critic, just bitching, moaning and pouting.

>> No.40355565

>>40311910
> Reversible ending the way it did
The pain. It just began and then died.

>> No.40355711

>>40355485
>Elitists put an emphasis on quality over trends.
Quality being the thing you like instead of the thing other people like.

>> No.40355781

>>40312419
It was an NPC, not a real person.

>> No.40355930

>>40355485
>I am an Elitist.
Elitists tend to not consider themselves elitists
>No. Elitists put an emphasis on quality over trends.
Translation: You put an emphasis on what YOU want to see, and anything you don't like is "trends"
>No. We try to chase away people not in for the "right reasons". Includes but not limited to: Magical Realms, Mary Sueing, Cloning Drizzt, Attention Whoring.
That exists now, and it's never going to go away, bringing in new people won't cause it to grow worse, or get better
>Elitists wants the market to be driven by quality products and demand for quality products. Whoring up to fads make quick profit share holders love but degrade the market.
Again, these "fads" are just things that you don't like because "normies, casuals abloo bloo bloo"
And who are you, exactly?
What the fuck do you know about marketing or running a business?
>Third, this is not the only area where I am an elitists and I can assure you it is tiring to repeatedly say "told you so".
Told you so about what exactly?
That they "ruined" something that you liked by adding new content?
>If they deface their products to cater to people that will not stick around instead of making the hobby grow by providing quality,
You're assuming that these new people are going to just up and leave
What about the people who stay and like it? Are you just going to leave them in the cold until they leave because they don't agree with you? Or because they might not yet know about certain things?

How many times a day do you see a story on /tg/ about someone playing with a shit DM, and when asked why they don't just quit the game and leave, their response is "Because the scene in my area is dead and he's the only DM for miles"
What about them?
What about all of those areas where the amount of people who know how to play DnD can be counted on one hand?
Why not give those areas a chance to get a community growing?

>> No.40356171

>>40355711
> Quality being the thing you like instead of the thing other people like.

In a sense, yes. But that doesn't invalidate anything.

Let's take, for example, the R.V. industry. More precisely Forest River (Prime Time) and Jayco, two companies with which I've personally dealt with.

The former, owned by private interests, caters first to its own clientele. They do a bit of advertising and offer a quality product. They also focus a lot on their image and on troubleshooting, going the extra mile covering under warranty things that should never be. Their products, however, are not exceptionally innovative.

Results: Their customers are loyal, and keep buying Jayco products. Their consumer base grows slowly but steadily.

For the same price, Prime Time (Forest River) offer a product that looks far more luxurious: they are well decorated, come with fancy things like a simili-stone countertop, the shower is spacious, and they probably get into the R.V. Industry people that just wouldn't otherwise. And the walls' finish is glorious. And people borrows over 20 years to pay that shit up.

3 years later, the laminated walls are bloated with water even if you did everything right (because of a welding snapping), there's scratches all over the countertop that, if buffed, will leave discolored areas, the front cap cracked and there's mold all over. And the tissues that were so gorgeous discolored.

Are the people who wouldn't have bought an R.V. in the first place and bought a Prime Time (Forest River) better off for the industry?

No. They got rid of their thing and will complain about it for another 17 years as they continue to make payments on it.

I call "quality" a lifetime of at least half the payment plan (which I like) rather than fancy items and a snazzy look you won't enjoy for long because it'll fall apart (what other people like).

>> No.40356268

>>40312353
Jesus you sound like a cunt.

>> No.40356589

>>40355930
> Elitists tend to not consider themselves elitists
> Elitism is the belief or attitude that some individuals who form an elite—a select group of people with a certain ancestry, intrinsic quality or worth, high intellect, wealth, specialized training or experience, or other distinctive attributes—are those whose influence or authority is greater than that of others(...)
How does one manage that if he avoids the fact he is elitist?


> Translation: You put an emphasis on what YOU want to see, and anything you don't like is "trends"
See >>40356171

> Again, these "fads" are just things that you don't like because "normies, casuals abloo bloo bloo"
No. Fads are short term tendencies, spikes in trends. Example, setting specific roles, as per WoW (and many other RPGs), was a fad. It showed up in 4th edition and was quickly swept away by WoTC.

> And who are you, exactly?
Someone more calm and level-headed than thou.

> What the fuck do you know about marketing or running a business?
I know the difference between a short-term strategy and a long-term strategy. I know the difference between whoring up to share-holders and actually building a business. I know alienating your consumer base for short-term increase in profits kills a business. What do YOU know?

>Told you so about what exactly? That they "ruined" something that you liked by adding new content?
Told you so about the products I sell, for one. Told you so about the type of pick-up trucks purchased to go with the products I sell. Told you so about business politics and personnel management. Told you so about scams. Told you so about abusive relationships.

Things people willingly close their eyes on and charge head first.

> You're assuming that these new people are going to just up and leave.
Yes. And I am confident in that assertion.

> What about the people who stay and like it?
I have yet to see a single person who joined the hobby and stayed in it due to 4th Ed.

Cont.

>> No.40356625

>>40355930
There's a difference between new players and "fucking normies abloo bloo bloo". I think you should stop posting, for your own health

>> No.40356950
File: 110 KB, 740x504, dream_girl.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40356950

>>40356268
Then I strongly suggest you browse for a Forest River (Prime Time) and try to prove me wrong. The excel spreadsheet I keep about the cases I work on leave me pretty confident.

>>40356589 Continued

> Are you just going to leave them in the cold until they leave because they don't agree with you?

Assuming they stayed around, of course not! There's a lot of quality RPGs that are worth delving into. Heavy Gear, Engine Heart, Edge of the Empire, Shadowrun (if they don't mind a rule-heavy game).

> [Are you just going to leave them in the cold until they leave] because they might not yet know about certain things?

If I would, I wouldn't bother arguing back and forth. Yet, if they insist they don't want to play anything else than their WoW character, heh, at least I tried.

> How many times a day do you see a story on /tg/ about someone playing with a shit DM, and when asked why they don't just quit the game and leave, their response is "Because the scene in my area is dead and he's the only DM for miles". What about them?

Okay, I can't help but assume you're one of them. A good group is not "found". A good group is "formed". And guess what, a bit of elitism when choosing your group members IS A BOON.

Do not expect that people not interested in the hobby in the first place will become the group of your dreams just because of a short-lived marketing campaign.

And if the three other consanguineous fucktards of your backwater village won't play and you do not have a car for the closest community, well, tough shit bro.

> What about all of those areas where the amount of people who know how to play DnD can be counted on one hand? Why not give those areas a chance to get a community growing?
Pic related

>> No.40357161

>>40356950
>>40356268
I apologize, for some reason I thought this was aimed at another of my comments.

I actually agree with what you wrote.

>> No.40357488
File: 16 KB, 292x257, 40-keks-154615066049.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40357488

>>40345815
>>40345872
>>40345891
>>40345949
>>40350558
>>40346125
>>40346128
>>40354267
>>40346473
>>40346635
>>40346398
>>40346326
>>40346318
>>40346250
>>40350769
>>40350970
>>40351070
>>40355930
>>40355485
>>40354721
>>40354114
>>40351323
>>40351409
>>40351579
>>40351300
>>40352285
>>40352387
>>40354193
>>40354268
>>40354447
>>40357161
>>40356171
>>40356589
>>40356625

Congratulations you have now all become "That Guy"

>> No.40357510

>>40351323
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AAO92foBwA

>> No.40357631

>>40356589
>How does one manage that if he avoids the fact he is elitist?
Elitists don't think they are elitists, they just think that they're right

The problem with your analogy is that RV's aren't like PnP games for reasons that you already stated
Also, strong bias can in fact invalidate some of your points

The issue with your third point isn't quite what is and isn't a fad, it's what you define a fad as over what actually IS in fact a fad

I'm not even going to respond to your personal attack which was a rebuttal to what could be considered a personal attack
>Implying I'm remotely upset

While it is true that alienating your consumers for short-term profit is a bad move, what exactly is considered "alienation" in PnP
We're talking about one single paragraph in a rulebook here, and even if there was something that "alienated" the fanbase in a PnP, the great thing is that in most cases, you can rule it out

I do applaud you for having more business experience than I expected
You still sound a little bit like a cunt
Also, none of those things really have anything to do with PnP or elitism

You make baseless assumptions about these people because they are new and want to learn based off of the timeframe in which they joined

I will say I also admire that you would at least you say you would give new players the benefit of the doubt
The last fa/tg/uy I talked to about this subject admitted that he just wouldn't let new players into his games because he was afraid they were just trend hopping SJW normie scum etc. etc.

Tl;dr: New players aren't necessarily a bad thing, most of you are getting worked up over nothing
If new people weren't constantly coming in, the hobby would be dead already

>> No.40357660

>>40357488

Well, they are in a That Guy thread, they just didn't know they'd be the That Guys in the That Guy thread.

>> No.40357788

>>40357660
I love watching these spery fucks blow up over the biggest, most obvious bait in existence.

>> No.40357937

>>40357660
>they just didn't know they'd be the That Guys in the That Guy thread
There always fucking are.

>> No.40358092

>>40346147
>that uses his spells to support.

No, he literally can't. 9 wis means he can't even cast the 0 level cleric spells. He's a shit.

>> No.40358285

>>40358092
Oh, shit, I got this mixed up with the 5e thread.

>> No.40358355

>>40357631
> Elitists don't think they are elitists, they just think that they're right

Call me the exception then, I believe I am both.

> The problem with your analogy is that RV's aren't like PnP games for reasons that you already stated

I'll bring the point to its simplest. This strategy is beneficial on the short term. It allows competitors to capture your original market shares (e.g. Paizo). When the short term opportunity fades, it leaves a few companies to starve. This scares shareholders. Ripe fruits rot.

>Also, none of those things really have anything to do with PnP or elitism

Hey, I'm not the one who intertwined them!

> You make baseless assumptions about these people because they are new and want to learn based off of the timeframe in which they joined

No. I make assumptions based on what caused them to join in.

> I will say I also admire that you would at least you say you would give new players the benefit of the doubt

I admire how you want to bring diversity and make the community more open to new players. I despise your method, Charles Xavier.

> Tl;dr: New players aren't necessarily a bad thing, most of you are getting worked up over nothing
You actually missed the whole point. We're not chasing away new players, we're criticizing the way the industry wants to do it.

> You still sound a little bit like a cunt
In fact, I agree, but I learned that those people who do are usually right. And they're the one brave enough to maybe hurt feelings.

I'm a bit disappointed however: you were doing so well not wanting to respond to my personal attack, you victim enabler...

>> No.40358425

>>40354721

The truth has been made known

>> No.40358442

>>40358355
> Tl;dr: New players aren't necessarily a bad thing, most of you are getting worked up over nothing
> You actually missed the whole point. We're not chasing away new players, we're criticizing the way the industry wants to do it.

I meant: Why risk your long term survival for a short term gain? I am all about getting new customers, but to earn loyal customers (like Jayco does in the RV industry), you need to focus on what I like!

Errr... I mean quality!

>> No.40358596

>>40357488
>>40357660
And the sad thing is that all of Those Guys are missing the most obvious point - us faggots have been playing PnP games the whole time, and are just showing appreciation that the game companies are acknowledging we exist rather than continuing to cater to the loud sperglord portion of the fanbase.

Back to the topic though-
>That Guy is playing a ludicrous gnome alchemist/gunslinger/artificer
>Chaotic Neutral
>Person he dislikes IRL is playing the bard
>Bard has turned on our decanter of endless water and is having a squirt-gun fight with the fighter
>That Guy's character gets splashed with water

>Shoots the bard in the head with explosive bullets
>"What? He attacked me!"

>> No.40358664

>>40358596
The post references people on both sides of the argument, meaning, anyone that's involved with the pointless discussion is 'That Guy'.

>> No.40358834
File: 72 KB, 800x598, He's_right_you_know.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40358834

>>40358596
>>40358664
Sorry anon but it's true.

>> No.40359000

>>40321567
Reminds me of a Spycraft game I ran based on Crimson Skies. Party makes pulp heroes. That Guy makes a German scientist racist/facist. Want to dope smack him since I showed him cutscenes from the Xbox game, but he just wanted to call people Jew and drop exploding pianos on them.

>> No.40359106

>>40358664
>>40358834
I know(which makes me a meta That Guy I suppose, but oh well) - I was mostly pointing out that the argument over "new players" and "long term survival" is especially pointless.

Anyway, something else from the same character, same game.
>Dying NPC is giving us his last words
>That Guy shoots him in the back of the head from across the room from where he was looting
>"I was putting him out of his misery"

>> No.40359495
File: 353 KB, 1415x1420, Never let a dragon get to fourth base.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40359495

How do you punish "that guy" during session when they try to cheat?

I had a player that would change his ability scores between sessions or just open the monsters manual in his notebook while playing to find the enemies' weaknesses.

>> No.40359617

>>40359495
Tell them to stop or you'll kick them out. You're not their mom, it's not your job to slap them on the wrist and scold them when they do something bad.

>> No.40359619
File: 575 KB, 512x384, 1382324003981.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40359619

>>40359495
>Sprites can crossbreed with everything except lizardfok
Wat.

>> No.40363364

>>40311910
I'm probably gonna get a lot of mixed responses to this but whatever.


>Running a one-shot 5e adventure, something fun, quick and simple to introduce my girlfriend and my female best friend to the game
>Male best friend is also joining us so I have someone who's used to the ropes
>Girls are excited and start eagerly focusing on their character's backstories
>Friend is annoyed because he brought his Chaotic Evil so random Druid, with 0 backstory and just wants to roll dice and kill stuff
>My girlfriend decides she wants to play a Warlock with the Great Old One pact
>She asks me if her character can be entirely dedicated to the corruption of people's minds, making them depraved sexual deviants, that same deviance feeding her patron
>She doesn't know Warhammer at all but I decide fuck it, and make her patron Slaneesh, God(dess) of Corruption and Lust.
>Male friend stands up
>"But that's not a Great Old One"
>"Yeah, it's not, but I'm fluffing it to be one"
>"But those are two different things"
>"How? I'm literally just changing names"
>"That doesn't make sense"
>"Instead of being called a pact with a Great Old One lets call it a Slaneeshi Pact or whatever. It's a one-off, it doesn't matter. Plus, when we go back to the group and start running my adventure I'm going to change a lot of names, seeing as a lot of the terms won't fit the lore for my world"
>"BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT'S IN THE BOOK, YOU SHOULDN'T CHANGE THINGS JUST BECAUSE YOU WANT TO"
>proceed to play anyway


Was I That Guy /tg/? I mean I know my gf's concept was a bit dodgy but is this really such an inexcusable offense?

>> No.40363403

>>40359495
>"But this monster doesn't have that weakness, because it's a special breed!"

>"That's a nice roll! You would have succeeded even if you hadn't changed your stats! But because you did, you fail and now have fantasy ebola. Fuck you."

>> No.40363412

>>40363364
Your girlfriend was that guy.

>> No.40363416

>>40363364
Your friend is an ass and you should tell your gf to keep it in her pants.

>> No.40363428

>>40363412
how was she that guy? it just seemed like an interesting concept to her. Is having a character with even the slightest allusion of sex equals being That Guy?

>>40363416
I tried. Didn't work out

And she didn't play the character in an ERP manner, rather she just set herself to distribute erotica, kamasutras, and forming cults devoted to her god. Pretty straightforward stuff tbh

>> No.40363432

>>40363364
Nah, you weren't.

Your friend should stop being such a lorefreak when it comes to one-shots.

>> No.40363444

>>40313318
I read it earlier. I never asked for the feels.

>> No.40363514

>>40363432
even if it wasn't a one-shot, would there be THAT much of a problem if the names of pacts, oaths and whatever were to be changed?

>> No.40363578

>>40363364
wha....
Doesnt he understand that the DM makes the setting? or has 5E departed so much from ADND?
>>40359495
and i reshuffle monster descriptions/stats/weaknesses as needed. and take a copy of his stats on the sly "oh gimme a wis test, whats yours agains?" ect till you catch him out. then call down the pain.

>> No.40363635

>>40363444
I was surprised. I went in expect some silly light-hearted stuff, and I got an examination of the nature of relationships. Also implied trap rape.

>> No.40363769

>>40322004
you're a brooding faggot
if you're gonna masturbate to an rpg, stay the fuck home

>> No.40363848

>>40363364
>"BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT'S IN THE BOOK, YOU SHOULDN'T CHANGE THINGS JUST BECAUSE YOU WANT TO"
Here's your issue right there. As the GM you can always say fuck the rules.

>> No.40363852

>>40363428
Well, that sounds like she was just staying in character. I don't see why you would have to ask her to keep it in her pants unless she was describing the orgies in explicit detail.

>> No.40363873
File: 29 KB, 300x300, opinion.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40363873

>>40363769

Sure, I'm a brooding faggot for being thrown on a fucking group I didn't even know, with different schedules, interests and pretty much no reason to stay together.
The same fucking group that doesn't have any IC interaction without the faggot running it immediately throwing in his shitty DMPCs so he can monologue for a solid hour.
The same fucking group that can be called a group only because we share the same apartment building and have nothing in common apart from none of us knowing what the fuck is going on.

So no you retarded faggot, I'm not fucking brooding for not trusting a bunch of fucking strangers that make fun of my character for walking funny and rarely fucking see in-game. And you wont give me that bullshit when the shit eating fartcummer that run the game discouraged player-to-player roleplay.

Here's a though, faggot: Stop assuming things and fuck off.

>> No.40363938

I have a really, really shitty group playing 5E, and I don't really enjoy it, but one guy in the group just shines as a paragon of shit.

>He only ever refers to me as "DM". Everyone knows my name, he refuses to use it.
>He seriously gets mad when he gets hurt in combat. No, that's not a joke. If he gets hit in combat, he starts getting pissed off.
>He charged a hobgoblin, the goblin shot and hit him. His response "Man, DM, you really like fucking up my character." It was 5 points of fucking damage.
>Other players are like "Dude, you ARE a barbarian..."
>He threw a tantrum and let his character die because it got knocked unconscious in a fight. Not the Barbarian, the one before that. He left the session, too.
>We're in the middle of combat, he's got this unconscious/dying hobgoblin. He drags it across the room, and wants to manacle it to a thing. I say he can pull out his manacles and secure the guy.
>Proceeds to ask "Can I <do some other action here> as a bonus?"
>"No."
>"Ugh well fine I guess it's DM's rules." His exact response, I'm not joking.
>I've learned that not only does taking damage in combat cause a temper tantrum, so does rolling badly on a skill check.

At this point in the game, we're like, 4 sessions in and I swear I've heard more from this guy than anyone else. He insisted that he would attempt something, and if it didn't work he would keep trying and keep asking until he gets a yes, meaning that he's the only one ever doing anything, and he gets fucking pissed if you say no.

I'm gonna drop the whole group just because this guy is a friend they can't just kick out.

>> No.40364038

>>40332760
Tell me about it. Entitled, nasty Mexicans all up in the US.

>> No.40364355

>>40322704
>maybe a chef

>> No.40364425

>>40363364
"If you're going to throw a fit, leave."

>> No.40364471

>>40363938
> I have a really, really shitty group playing 5E, and I don't really enjoy it(...)
> I'm gonna drop the whole group just because this guy is a friend they can't just kick out.

1. How does the group feel about it?
2. Why do you describe the rest of the group as shitty?
3. If the whole group is shitty, why stick around? It's not like you had incentive to try and salvage the rest of it...

>> No.40364861

>>40359495
As a DM I usually keep a little notebook with a nice cheatsheet of my PCs skills.

Because it's easier than having to ask each time.

Also the best way to deal with that is to kick that guy out of your house.

>> No.40364981

>>40363635
Ultra-super implied trap rape.

>>40363769
>Calls someone a faggot
>Is a faggot by association

>>40363444
The feels are your punishment or reward for listening to me.

>> No.40365109

>>40347556
no game is better than bad game.

>> No.40365454

>>40363938
Same here, must be a common thing with barbarian players...

>He only plays melee-heavy characters, mostly barbarians.
>Can't roleplay for shit.
>Gets really mad when he takes any kind of damage (even when he willingly runs throught a trap)
>When he gets mad he refuses to play and tries to kill his character
>Otherwise he act out of revenge, usually robbing or PKing the other members (be them NPC or players)

This is the most "that guy" he went:

> I'm DMing (as always)
> High death rate campaign, more than 1PC/session, the group was fine with it
> Some party members fuck up a secondary mission pretty bad, they force me to summon a secondary BBEG.
> The newborn BBEG proceeds to spread mayhem with an army of undead.
> I ask him what he's going to do
> He wants to battle the BBEG
> The rest of the party is running like it's the end of the world

At this point I was all like:
"oh my, very heroic of you, sacrificing your character to save more people, here let me create a stage just for your battle, in which I will narrate your heroic sacrifice, I will also tell you how many people you saved, based on the turn I need to kill you.
IF you manage to kill the BBEG (that would require a huge amount of luck, but it was not impossible) you can even rerail the story and avoid the meh ending"

> I then proceed to create the map.
> I narrate the speech given by the town guard commander
> He says "I skip it all and rush to the frontlines"

Ok, I was expecting that, so I tell him "Here is the battlefield, the undead army is coming from the underground, so they will get out from these spots, you will have to defend this entrance"

> He ignores me and rushes to the first underground entrance
> He wants to get in it
> I tell him that it's suicide since underground there's the BBEG, with the whole army
> He responds "it's what my character would do"

TLDR: He suicided for no reason because he felt his character was "doomed"

>> No.40365968

>>40364471
>1. How does the group feel about it?
They've all been friends longer than they've known me.

>2. Why do you describe the rest of the group as shitty?
Mostly just a lack of being in-character at all, approaching everything as a game mechanic, and generally not really doing anything and letting the asshole drive the entire game despite playing a fucking 7 INT character.

>3. If the whole group is shitty, why stick around? It's not like you had incentive to try and salvage the rest of it...
I stuck around for 4 sessions. I don't see it getting better, so I'm just dropping it.

>>40365454
>When he gets mad he refuses to play and tries to kill his character
Yep, this is exactly what happened.

His fucking Elf Rogue with like 7 HP at level 1 was hit with an arrow, brought to -1. Failed one dying check, then stabilized. He was out for combat since there was no healing spells left in the group. His response? "Fuck it I'm dead just let my character die."

This was the guy who showed up day 1 with a sheet insisting that he has 2 companion characters who are servants to him and can fight if needed.

Now he INSISTS on forming a "tribe" in-game, which basically amounts to him deciding by himself that if he intimidates every enemy he beats, they'll just follow him. I gave him one little useless goblin just to shut him up, but when I made the goblin refuse to go into a castle occupied by hobgoblins and shit, he was like "Ugh fine I guess I'll play along, your the DM."

Like, nigga I'm being nice just letting you have the fucking goblin to carry your stuff.

>> No.40366067

>>40355485
Goddamn, you're one edgy motherfucker.

>> No.40366118

>>40365968
>Yep, this is exactly what happened.
Maybe it's the same guy and we don't know it.
Mine too had an elf rogue, that due to backstory had some assassins on his tail, then he decided that he didn't like being a rogue, so he ASKED the DM to let the assassins catch up to him and slit his throat...

He also asked me multiple times to kill his char when the character got ill and the party was forced to carry him around (and I refused)

>> No.40367156

>>40365109
True, there is no game that is better than a bad game.

>> No.40368556

>>40311910
I hope Reversible gets continued, I just finished it and it was great.
Knowing nippon, it probably won't, but I'm holding out hope.

>> No.40370247

>>40311910
>dnd 4.0
>be me, DM, dm's girlfriend, dm's roommate, random girl who's friends with dm's gf.
>DM's girlfriend hates killing animals of any kind
>unspoken rule from DM that killing living creatures is forbidden (i.e he threw zombies and elementals at us)
>whatever.jpg I'm having an okay time, despite she's clearly the one running the game

>DM takes party to a cathedral
>white dragon shapeshifted into a woman
>friend's roommate: "is she hot, or older?"
>DM's gf "WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN, WHY THE HELL WOULD THAT EVER FUCKING MATTER, GOTDAMNNN
>she storms off
>silence amongst us
>DM gets up to go check on her, he looks frustrated but gives no tell of what he really thinks
>I look at roomate of DM. "Welp that was a slight overreaction."
>DM's roommate: "they're both getting evicted this weekend. I'm fucking done."

and that was the last time I played dnd.

>> No.40370285
File: 52 KB, 346x360, samus_is_at_a_loss.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40370285

>>40370247
What the fuck

Is there's more to this than you're letting on?

>> No.40370304

>>40370285
more importantly, was the DM's GF's friend hot?

>> No.40370397

>>40370285
my reaction exactly.

She's incredibly liberal with women's rights and all.
It came across as an innocent enough question
>"Is she hot...or older?"
Unless it was an incredibly subtle jab at her sensitivity, I honestly would expect it to be a legit request for information about the character.

I had no problem playing the game, given that the DM had already adapted it to prevent his gf from getting pissy (as a control mechanism) and I was fine going into the game realizing that she was a special snowflake...
but I had noooo anticipation of how volatile she was.
You wouldnt expect it from looking at her as well, she looks like you're average, well-adjusted adult.

>> No.40370454

>>40370304
she's full blown feminism just like DMGF.
>attractive scale
7/10
>personality scale
stable/10

she seemed much more conversational than her friend.
I would like to believe I could do better.

>> No.40370487

>>40370454
>I would like to believe I could do better.
poor, deluded anon

>> No.40370558

>>40370487
I shouldn't have softened the phrase.
I can do better.

>> No.40370591

>>40370558
>I can do better.
poor, deluded anon

>> No.40370831

>>40356950
Whats that comic about?

>> No.40371295
File: 48 KB, 333x286, 1362645150521.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40371295

>>40370285
>>40370285

>> No.40372034

>>40370831
Bump, please!

>> No.40372034,1 [INTERNAL] 

So this was just two weeks ago, my friend was DMing a group and one of his regular players was going to be gone for a few weeks so he asked if I could fill in.

>D&D 3.5
>PCs are halfling assassin(me), human fighter, half-elf bard, and saytr druid(that guy)
>mission to stake-out some courtyard where black market deal is going down
>all PCs show up early and disguise/hide around courtyard
>that guy decides to pretend to panhandle instead of just wildshaping into stray dog, w/e
>targets show up, that guy casts detect magic on one of them
>targets notice, cover blown
>that guy panics and uses his panflutes cause sleep in 60ft
>We remind him that that would put the party to sleep also
>"I'm doing it anyways"
>DM strongly recommends against that
>"I'm doing it anyways"
>all targets were elves, immune to sleep
>half the party gets put to sleep for 60 rnds
>our bard gets murdered by elves
>the shithead runs away and leaves us
>That guy throws a fit when the party gets pissed at him


TL;DR Saytr PC screws over party, gets mad when we blame him

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action