Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
[ERROR] No.38906133 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

/tg/ a member of by group just responded to my text about events concerning meta game elements of our campaign by saying:

"It's one in the morning. You know I have to work tomorrow right?"

Myself as well as I the rest of the group in the group chat responded within the next 30 seconds:

"LOL [name redacted] can't into etiquette. He is inconveniencing the group by responding hostilely to a text at an hour we (all being at lease 15 years younger than him) find normal to text at and expect relatively prompt responses at".

ITT: Times your RPG group had significantly older people in them.

I'm not just baiting for negative responses, TBH I would never have been able to get into /tg/ if there was not an active community of older rpg players and wargamers in my area. However I've been at this for a decade now myself and a lot of the people I met getting into these hobbies are really starting to show their age in annoying ways. This is made even worse by the fact often they feel they are somehow being wronged when the entire group feels it is the opposite situation due to values dissonance between Gen X'ers and Millennials.

>> No.38906235

>>38906133

My group is similar in that there are 2 members in their 40s and 3 members in their late 20s. My uncle is the GM of the group and it's been like that for the last 15 years. Basically explains itself.

I'm not going to comment on text etiquette in general but 1 am is barely late for vocalizing a having to work in the morning excuse. If he was sleeping it couldn't have been very long if a single text woke him up.

>> No.38906287

>>38906235
>I'm not going to comment on text etiquette in general but 1 am is barely late for vocalizing a having to work in the morning excuse. If he was sleeping it couldn't have been very long if a single text woke him up.
Spoken like someone who doesn't have to wake up at 7AM every morning. Damn kids.

>> No.38906345

>>38906287

I have to wake up by 8AM every morning but still don't get to sleep until 2:30AM literally every night. don't tell them about my afternoon nap

>> No.38906379

>>38906287
>>38906235
Honestly you shouldn't try to contact people after 10 or 11 IMO, if you are having a conversation and it goes up until then, sure, but dont just pop in like "Hey guis, sup!?" cause it can be frustrating.

Gotta get up at 6 (Soon to be 4) am because I have a long commute (and they think starting earlier will improve efficiency, the idiots) so waking up and then having to go -back- to sleep is frustrating as fuck, even worse if i was having those sweet ass dreams (you know the type, you remember them well into the day after waking up, awww yiss).

Don't even have to be old for it, I'm turning 21 next month, job is total shit, too but hey, I need that dosh.

>> No.38906431

If you're texting anyone at 1 am, it'd better be an emergency or trying to find someone around the sa me location as you. I'm the most millenial as they come and I know not to text people about game stuff at 1 in the goddamn morning.

>> No.38906444

>>38906345
That's the difference, though - sleep deprivation makes it harder to concentrate, which is something that can be ignored when you're in school, but when you have a job that requires you to pay attention (most do) you generally want to get a good night's sleep.

I know there are people who can survive off 4 hours of sleep and have no problems the next day. In my experience most people aren't like that. Even with coffee I have trouble getting up if I don't get at least 7 hours of sleep.

>> No.38906494

>>38906287
>Spoken like someone who doesn't have to wake up at 7AM every morning.
>I have to wake up by 8AM every morning
Lol civilians.

>> No.38906517

>>38906494
Whoops, meant to quote both>>38906287 and >>38906345

>> No.38906523

>>38906494
If I had to get up before 7 I'd be all the more irate that someone texted me at 1AM.

>> No.38906569

>>38906523
If you had to get up at 0430 you'd turn off your phone.

Which is probably what I should do right now. Caffeine pills can only take me so far tomorrow.

>> No.38906575

Everyone in my group works the same hours but, besides me, they're all married and/or have kids. Lost track of the games interrupted by kids and wives. Or cutting things short of at the local store because 'I can't be away from my family for more than 2 hours'.

>> No.38906677

>>38906133
I felt the urge to lay my hands on you and sequentially inflict every horrific torment in the arsenal of highschool bullies upon your flesh while screaming the word "job" into your ear loudly enough to cause just enough damage to your hearing to still allow you to experience the emotions of respect and fear every fucking time you hear that word ever again for the rest of your life.

Good job on the troll.

>> No.38906693

>>38906133

1am is too late for me to reply to a text, I work at 7am and go to bed around midnight. Giving him shit for his irritated reply just makes you look like a douche.

>> No.38906757

>>38906575
>tfw your wife is the one who got you into tabletop, and she's the current DM
Life is good.

>> No.38907062

>>38906133

>mfw that description of sleeping patterns fits me too.

Darn kids.

>> No.38907129

>be 20 year old DM
>got some of my younger friends into d&d
>one of their dads walks in and mentions he used to play

Our sessions usually go pretty well between mine and the older guy's work schedules we've found that Sunday nights seem to be our best bet

>> No.38907763

>>38906444
>tfw insomnia
In some ways it's great due to the fact that after you stay up for two days you don't even feel remotely tired and can stay up and work effectively for an additional 3 days or so.

>> No.38907791

Why would you have your phone on or not on silent when you are sleeping at 1am

>> No.38907835

>>38907791
Some people have no other phones and might need an open line in case of emergencies (family and so on).
Clearly not for gaming stuff.

>> No.38907837

>>38906133
>"It's one in the morning. You know I have to work tomorrow right?"
Ignore the text for now, go back to sleep, and don't be a dick.

>"LOL [name redacted] can't into etiquette. He is inconveniencing the group by responding hostilely to a text at an hour we (all being at lease 15 years younger than him) find normal to text at and expect relatively prompt responses at".
People are grumpy when they're woken up. Don't be a dick.

Dicks all around.

>> No.38907855

OP, for a long time I've been in the opposite situation, being the only 20-some player in a group 10-15 years older than me. It went pretty well for a while but then we had to change some players due to some ugly personal drama (I wasn't involved) and it kinda fell apart after that.
One thing I noticed is that most of the folks just wanted to roll some dice and blow off steam while I would have liked something more in depth. Not saying it was just for the age, but on some evenings it was grating.

Also, if you have to write me about the game at 1 am, do so via mail so I can read it in the morning, or fuck off.

>> No.38907978

>>38906133
I'm 20, and I have to get up at 4am. I've had this job since I was 18.

Early stats aren't exactly uncommon, nor is waking up early something that only old people have to do. In fact, if you're younger and less experienced you usually get the shittiest shifts.

There's also the fact that different people sleep differently, I'm lucky that I'm one of those people that can fall asleep almost instantly and in almost any position. Not everyone is able to do that, sometimes it takes them hours to get to sleep regardless of age.

Be more mindful next time OP, don't assume people live in the same circumstances you do just because you've been on the planet for roughly the same around of time.

>> No.38907991

>>38907791
In case of emergency.

Use your brain.

>> No.38908108

>>38907991
>>38907835
What kind of emergency requires my attention at 1am

>> No.38908130

>>38908108
The kind of emergency that requires your immediate attention and it just so happens to be 1am.

Here's a hint, if you can't think of at least one then you're not thinking hard enough.

Geeze, did you even think before typing?

>> No.38908147

>>38908108
How old are you, son?

>> No.38908149

>>38908130
If my house is on fire then I don't need my phone to know its on fire

>> No.38908159

>>38908149
>Not having more than one house.

>> No.38908168

>>38906133
>texting someone at 1AM

You deserve to get an angry response if you get one at all. I am 23 and I would not be happy if someone sent me a text when I was asleep for work.

>> No.38908186

>thinking it's ever okay to text people after midnight for minor shit.

/tg/ confirmed for being full of jobless manchildren.

>> No.38908216

Yeah. 19 collegebro here, I typically avoid texting people between 11:30pm and 8am or so.

It's just a normal thing to do. Responding poorly to that isn't a good move, but not exactly unexpected.

But, then proceeding to chastise him for what is actually a fairly odd time to be out of the blue texting people, to a rather not hostile response is pretty dickish.

So yeah, I have to side with him here.

>> No.38908222

>>38908186
>one anon now represents the entirety of /tg/
Manchildren, yes. Jobless, not quite.

>> No.38908253

>>38906133
>15 years younger than
>This explains why you have no need to work

So you're all what, 8?

>> No.38908307

All my group is 30+.
It's ok, we're from Spain and we have no jobs.

>> No.38909246

>>38906133
It sounds like you literally just mocked a guy for having a stable life and separating his reality from the game.

You also recognize this by stating that you're not baiting for negative responses.

TL;DR - You're a fucking cunt and your group needs a firm kick in the ass.

>> No.38909293

wage slavery is a social construct of the neoliberal elite

i have nothing but contempt for those who willingly let themselves be exploited by the bourgeoisie

>> No.38909305

>>38906133
Good bait, I like it.

>> No.38909313

>>38909293
It's ok, Damnel is my waifu too

>> No.38909384

>>38906133
"Values dissonance"? None of you youngsters have jobs?

Consider yourself lucky you have an older, wiser roleplayer to game with, otherwise you'd be shit out of luck asking for advice on boards like these.

The rules of etiquette for ALL ages are: don't contact people after 9pm unless,

a) they are close family
b) it's an emergency (as in house-on-fire emergency, not my-boyfriend-dumped-me emergency)
c) everybody has agreed prior that they can be contacted at any time.

>> No.38909434

>>38906133

If there is any "values dissonance" here, it involves courtesy. I'm a Millennial, and I try not to text people after 10PM because I don't want to disturb them. If I want them to see something, I'll email or Facebook them.

Frankly, I hate it when people text me at 1AM. I have work, and I need my sleep.

>> No.38909463

>>38909384
>>38909434

Are you fucking retarded or something?
If this were the 80s, I could understand being put off by a phone call. But it's a text. A TEXT. It's like an email to your phone. How in the hell do you wake up from a text tone? Are you a child who can't sleep through a beep?

Honestly.

>> No.38909471

One of my old bosses when I had a 9 to 5 would text people at 1AM or call at 6AM over trivial shit.

We all knew he Was a poor manager but later found out it was done intentionally as a bizzare way of asserting dominance.

>> No.38909481

>>38909463
I'm a light sleeper, fuckwad, and my phone is also my alarm.

>> No.38909483

Every generation thinks the prior generation just doesn't get it, that their own generation has the answers, and doesn't understand why the following generation isn't interested in hearing them.

And then you reach a point where you realize that nothing really fundamental ever changes, and even if it does your feet hurt and you need a nap.

>> No.38909487

>>38909481

Then disable notifications for text tones? You can do that, you know.

>light sleeper

AKA Pampered Man-child. You don't have any siblings either, do you?

>> No.38909496

>>38906569
Well you might turn off your phone, but receiving a text at one in the morning about something that could have waited until later and then receiving a half dozen more text messages through your phone making fun of you is shitty.

I leave my phone on because I'm an emergency contact for a half-dozen people and nobody is going to text me at 1 in the morning unless it's some dickhead who thinks that "as soon as he thinks of it" is a good time to call me and tell me about his game.

>> No.38909523

>>38909487
>being a light sleeper has anything to do with your upbringing
Heh. You almost got me to think that you were serious.

If it's "like an email to your phone," why not just send it as an email? Is doing so somehow horribly inconvenient?

>> No.38909532

>>38909487

Autist faggot detected

>> No.38909546

If you say that people should turn off their phones or text tones if this sort of thing would bother them, recognize that you're saying that other people should inconvenience themselves or make it more difficult for them to be contacted in an emergency...

...just so that you don't have to take the five seconds to think about not being a dick.

>> No.38909547

Thank god I'm still in highschool or playing with my current online group were almost everyone is 2 hours ahead of me would be so much harder than it is now.

>> No.38909551

>>38909523
Not that guy, but sending a text is more convenient
[spolier]You're right though, should never be texting/calling people after ~9[/spoiler]

>> No.38909554

>>38909523

>If it's "like an email to your phone," why not just send it as an email?

Why would I log into my email account when I can just pick up my phone that's right next to me? It takes two seconds and any normal human being won't be woken by a damn text tone.

>>38909532

Buttmad 12 year old detected.

>> No.38909562

>>38909554

>Not having your phone linked to email

Way to be shit tier, bro

>> No.38909568

>>38909546

Underrated post

>> No.38909569

>>38909554
Can we all just agree the people throwing insults around are all below the age of 15?

>> No.38909573

>>38909546

> more difficult for them to be contacted in an emergency...

Anyone who needs you in an emergency is going to send a text. What are you, actually autistic?

>recognize that you're saying that other people should inconvenience themselves

Did you even READ the topic you illiterate moron? The dude whining about waking up was in an ENTIRE GROUP that communicated this way. He's the odd one out inconveniencing everyone else by demanding they conform to his desires.

>> No.38909576

>>38909554
So people should make themselves harder to contact in an actual emergency because people like you are so rude and ignorant you think its okay to text at 1AM for trivial reasons?

>> No.38909582

...I'm sorry, but if I'm willing to leave my phone loud and ready for texts at 1am, I should be willing to recieve texts at 1am.

If I need to leave my phone on for emergencies, emergencies which wouldn't come through as texts, then I would reduce the volume of my text alert to null, so I could receive phone calls, but not be alerted to texts.

I also grew up with a father and brother who worked second shift, and thus don't assume that everyone is active at the times I am, and do not judge others as uncourteous for being different.

>> No.38909591

>>38909562

>Way to be shit tier, bro

Why would I want to be bothered by work shit at home? I keep work at work and personal contact on my phone.

>Can we all just agree the people throwing insults around are all below the age of 15?

Can we just agree you should go post on Reddit or something? We're on 4chan. If you don't like insults you should go back to your hugbox of choice.

Is it just me or is /tg/ a haven for redditors/tumblrinas? I swear this board's gone to shit these past two years.

>> No.38909596

>>38909576
>So people should make themselves harder to contact in an actual emergency

Again, nobody is going to text you "hey man mom just got raped and murdered by an ex-con". They'll CALL you. Mute the text tone.

And I wouldn't call a group discussion "trivial".

>> No.38909597

>>38909573
If you are inconvenienced by being expected to use manners and common sense then you are a horrible person. You do not text people for trivial things that late.

>> No.38909605

>>38909591
>Don't have a personal email and work email

Wow, double shit tier

>> No.38909609

>>38909597

>If you are inconvenienced by being expected to use manners and common sense then you are a horrible person

Common sense? Again, everyone else in the group was okay with it. Only the whiny old man in the OP was upset because he's too selfish to realize that others do not revolve their lives around his.

>you are a horrible person

Projecting, are we?

>> No.38909620

>>38909605

>baseless insults

This is how you know you've beaten someone in an argument.

>> No.38909623

>>38909596
If it's a group discussion for a game, it's fucking trivial.

I like RPGs and tabletop stuff, too, but it's still lower on my priority list than work and other real life shit.

>> No.38909624

This has nothing to do with generations, its about whether you have manners or not.

Reminds me of the ignorant children in watch threads who think watches are obsolete because phones exist even though checking your phone in a meeting or many other situations is extremely rude.

>> No.38909633

>>38909569
Except many of them are not. They are of working age, who have come to the conclusion that they and their lifestyles need respect and accommodation above all else. Since they need their sleep to function well at their job, which is important to them, they place responsibility for sleep on others, rather than making sure that the intersection of their social life and work responsibilities flow together smoothly, for instance by turning down the text alert but not the phone alert, or making it clear ahead of time that certain actions are difficult for them to handle.

Instead, these work-age adults expect others to be preternaturally aware of their responsibilities, and do nothing that would cause inconvenience. The workers combine things outside their control with things inside their control, however. If someone in the next room is playing loud music, that is not in the worker's control, and thus its fair for them to respond like the person in the OP. If the worker has an electronic device that wakes them and has settings which cause them problems, that is in the worker's control, but they wish to project that responsibility onto other people.

>> No.38909634

>>38909596
>>38909573
You are aware that weather alerts for extreme weather conditions go out via text message, right? Or are you all SoCal babies that don't have to worry about anything except whether your hip clothing will be warm enough in the frigid 60 degree winter?

>> No.38909639

>>38909609
He has a life outside of the game. Their refusal to respect that is not on him.

>> No.38909641

>>38909623

RPG sessions are a huge commitment. Especially if its a large group. The fact that you treat them as mere sideshows when your DM and other members put HOURS into planning the events shows how self-inclined you really are.

>>38909624

>Reminds me of the ignorant children

Don't you have a 401K to go check on, old man? Why are you even here? 4chan is a site for young people. You sound really bitter.

>> No.38909642

>>38909609
>selfish

It is never selfish to expect people to not contact you when you are trying to sleep. Unless people are specifically okay with it you do not contact them that late without a serious reason.

>> No.38909651

>>38909634
I am too busy working thirty jobs at every hour of the day to check the weather or have a weather app, I need text messages to tell me the weather, but they don't wake me up when I get them and read them at 1am, but someone talking to me just ruins my whole night and I get fired from all 40 of my jobs! I staff an entire McDonalds, and my job is so important, and everyone needs to respect that!

>> No.38909658

>>38909634

I'm from Chicago actually, so I'm well used to extreme weather. There's no reason you'd need a text to tell you when its going to be really cold or really hot at that exact moment. Additionally, if it were a more dangerous weather event like a tornado or something they have sirens to deal with that. You wouldn't need a text.

The fact your reaching for this shows how weak your argument really is.

>> No.38909664

>>38909641
I am 23 you idiot. You are the one trying to justify being a selfish dick because of your age.

I called them ignorant children because anybody who thinks a phone can replace a watch in all situations is just that, mentally a child and probably extremely rude.

>> No.38909670

>>38909639

The group has obligations outside of him. It's HIS responsibility as a group member to acknowledge that they might need to discuss things at times that may inconvenience him. Don't like it? Leave the group.

>> No.38909672

>>38909641
Lol, I run games myself and put HOURS into putting them together and running them. My tabletop group also consists of people who put HOURS into games, but they also have work and families. If they need to cancel, it's no big deal.

If you think that games are on the same level as work, sleep, and family, then either you are an unemployed, solitary insomniac, or you've got a very different set of priorities.

>> No.38909674

>>38909642
Well then, fuck those assholes who are kicking down your door and throwing rocks at your windows and otherwise doing things that you have no control over. Call the cops on their asses, since they're just punk kids with no jobs.

Its not like you have control over how they interact with you. Kids with their hacking and their phreaking and their texts and their whoop doop boop alerts. I don't understand how to work my phone, there's no possible way I can mute one thing and not another, there's no big button for that!

>> No.38909692

>>38909672

>If you think that games are on the same level as work, sleep, and family, then either you are an unemployed, solitary insomniac, or you've got a very different set of priorities.

I never said that, so good job making it look like you lack any sort of reading comprehension.

>>38909664

>referring to people as kids when you yourself are 23

Christ, you are one self-absorbed person, aren't ya?

>> No.38909703

>>38909692
fuck of ND

>> No.38909705

>>38909634
Wait, you don't live in a country with an actual alarm that goes off and can be heard literally everywhere in the country/state? I thought this was normal

>> No.38909711

>>38909703

>fuck of ND

Literally who?

>> No.38909718

>>38909705
Some of us sleep you jobless freak. I can't be bothered to pay attention to anything other than work and sleep.

>> No.38909725

>>38909692

What you said:

>RPG sessions are a huge commitment. Especially if its a large group. The fact that you treat them as mere sideshows when your DM and other members put HOURS into planning the events shows how self-inclined you really are.

What I said:

>Lol, I run games myself and put HOURS into putting them together and running them. My tabletop group also consists of people who put HOURS into games, but they also have work and families. If they need to cancel, it's no big deal.

What you replied:

>I never said that, so good job making it look like you lack any sort of reading comprehension.

Nice try, faggot. Thanks for being the cancer that is killing /tg/.

>> No.38909735

>>38909705

Do you expect ME to listen to sirens? I ONLY accept messages through texts no matter how important.

My late wife learned that the hard way when she tried to call me and tell me that some rapist was chasing her down. Stupid BITCH should have texted me as that is the only way of communicating with me in my sleep.

>> No.38909739

>>38909718
That's not the point I was making. You were saying extreme weather alerts go out via text, which was a reason to leave text sounds on. I responded by asking you whether they didn't just have a big alarm so that it doesn't matter whether your sounds are on, you just fucking hear about the emergency anyway.

>> No.38909748

>>38909739
...No, I didn't. Wrong anon, friend. I'm just mocking the people who have decided that the onus for their work and sleep is on everyone with their phone number.

>> No.38909753

>>38909725

I have an honest question. Are you stupid? Like ACTUALLY stupid? As in mentally weaker than the average person?

I was responding to

>If you think that games are on the same level as work, sleep, and family, then either you are an unemployed, solitary insomniac, or you've got a very different set of priorities.

I said I never said THAT. Your little post there didn't highlight ANY of that. Can you read? Are you retarded?

>> No.38909768

>>38909748
Ah, I'm sorry, I didn't recognize your mockery. I did recognize >>38909739 but yours was too well hidden

>> No.38909777

>>38909768
Fuck I meant >>38909735 this guy

>> No.38909784

>>38909711
Taking your name off to avoid being filtered makes you more of a faggot.

>> No.38909787

>>38909523
>Is doing so somehow horribly inconvenient?

Of course it is, you have to stop thinking solely about yourself and adapt ever so slightly to the needs of someone else.

Fuck that shit.

>> No.38909791

>>38909784

I honestly have no idea who ND is

>> No.38909795

>>38906431
This.
/thread.

>> No.38909799

>>38909753

That is precisely what you're implying.

Let me guess, you're the "That Guy" of your group. I mean, you're probably the person in the group that nobody really wants to be around.

>> No.38909800

>>38906235
>1 am is barely late for vocalizing a having to work in the morning excuse

>> No.38909801

My god, I can't tell who's being a cunt to who anymore.

Can we discuss sleep cycles and nocturnal emissions now?

>> No.38909802

>>38906444

>being addicted to coffee


you're too slow grampa!

>> No.38909810

>getting upset that someone else is irritated because you interfered with them satisfying a physiological need in favor of trivial bullshit
ITT: Fuckers who need to kill themselves.

>> No.38909816

Yea, cus that info about the tabletop game next week sure can't wait until the morning. I mean, what, do you think I'm available at any other hour of the day, EXCEPT for 1 AM? What kind of heathen are you?

Sending the text at 10AM in the morning the next day? Stfu pleb, it was important and I needed to get my info about next weeks session out at 1 AM and disturb you. Don't you see how inconvenient that would be..?

How would I know he was part of the ~80% of the worlds population that has work to take care of? I mean, wtf, can't he just fucking cater to all my needs of expressing my meta-game concerns about my pointless pasttime hobby at the most ludicrous hours?

> 22, jobless, and studying 1/3rd of normal, DMing one campaign and playing in multiple others and I still get it.
> itt: People actually think that texts and phone calls are okay after 11 PM until 7 AM.
> mfw

>> No.38909821

>>38909748
>have decided that the onus for their work and sleep is on everyone with their phone number.

So you do not think that maybe, just maybe you should leave unimportant messages until the morning? Because that is what polite people do.

>> No.38909827

>>38909799

>That is precisely what you're implying.

But that's not what I SAID, which is the crux of your post. Let me guess, High School drop out?
Reading not your strongest suit?

>>38909800

What are you, in your 60s?

>>38909810

>Maslow

And then there's this faggot.
Go take your Pop-Psych somewhere else.

>> No.38909845

>>38909821

>So you do not think that maybe, just maybe you should leave unimportant messages until the morning? Because that is what polite people do.

The rest of the group thinks it is important to discuss then. Ergo, it is.

>>38909816

Phone-calls? No. Texts? Yes, an unintrusive text at 1 AM isn't going to hurt anyone.

>> No.38909851

I don't silence my phone, or texts, period at night. Because I can't be fucked, and both are legitimate means of contacting me should something come up. My wife works a shift where she gets called out to work at odd hours of the night, and I have to be ready to possibly assist her in traveling should something come up.

And while she is in where she works, she can send text messages, but calling is very unreliable. so a "hey, come pick me up, almost finished working and car has a flat" text message at 3 AM is sometimes a necessary thing.

As for my gaming group, im one of the youngest people in it anyway, and almost all of our communication is via a facebook group. Direct phone communication is only for "Hey, when are you going to get here" texts/calls.

Really though, you shouldn't text/call people after 11pm or before like... 8-10 am. Unless they hold funny work hours or some shit. Then you should hope for a less direct means of communication.

>> No.38909855

>>38909845
>Yes, an unintrusive text at 1 AM isn't going to hurt anyone.
If they're asleep, anything that wakes them up is intrusive.

>> No.38909856

>>38907129
When I was 14, my biology teacher heard me and a couple others talking about our d&d game. He got this look of pure nostalgia on his face and sat down to tell us about his tabletop antics in the 80's.

>> No.38909866

>>38909827

>Implying =/= said

If you can't appreciate how these two things intertwine, you really are THAT GUY.

>> No.38909879

Do you people really think calling them old to excuse your own lack of manners will work? Its not about age, its about not being selfish with no sense of timing or priorities.

Also what I am learning from this thread is that my relative should have just slept on the street the time they got stranded and their phone could not make calls due to patchy signal. Because clearly nobody would EVER have to send a text in an emergency instead of calling, there is no situation where this could occur.

>> No.38909881

>>38909855
>If they're asleep, anything that wakes them up is intrusive.

If you are awoken by a text you have sleeping problems, plain and simple.

> My wife works a shift where she gets called out to work at odd hours of the night, and I have to be ready to possibly assist her in traveling should something come up.

>wife can't drive herself

Red flag dude.

Honestly your whole post reeks of "my needy wife needs my texts because she can't take care of herself! Guys please don't text me!"

I mean if you were my friend I probably won't out of respect but that situation is fucked up dude.

>> No.38909882

>>38908108
>death in the family
>serious injury in the family
>Child/spouse/friend needing a ride from bumfuck nowhere due to a drunken night out gone bad

Those are three I've experienced this year alone. And it's fucking March

>> No.38909885

>>38909856

Awesome

>> No.38909891

>>38909881
>If you are awoken by a text you have sleeping problems, plain and simple.
That doesn't change the fact that waking a guy up over something so trivial makes you an asshole.

>> No.38909893

>>38909866

Go back to your original post, please.

In each instance you posted "said". Not implied. So are you really surprised I called you out on your shit? If so, you really aren't that good with English are you?

>> No.38909897

>>38909845
>The rest of the group thinks it is important to discuss then. Ergo, it is.

That is not how it works. Also read the post, not only do they think its okay to text at 1 AM but they expect 'prompt responses'. Which is incredibly stupid.

>> No.38909907

>>38909879

The scenario of someone being able to text but being unable to call is so rare and uncommon as to obscure the entire point of the argument. It's hyperbole.

>> No.38909920

>>38909821
...I'm not actually sure what you mean, can you rephrase?

You MIGHT be saying "Polite people should leave unimportant messages until morning, and by that, I mean that a polite person would just look at the 1am text, and ignore it, and continue sleeping"

You ALSO might be saying "Polite people know that (time) is unacceptable because of standard work hours and everyone should recognize that communication after (time) is unacceptable!"

Can you clarify?

>> No.38909921

>>38909897

>That is not how it works.

Yes, it is. The OP and his fellow members clearly place a high value on their meetings. Therefore it is the norm to promptly respond to messages. Again, if the guy doesn't like it he can leave. No one is forcing him to be in the group. He is not entitled to be in the group.

>> No.38909922

>>38909893

I'm only surprised you're reaching this far. It means you know you're losing.

>> No.38909930

>>38909845
>The rest of the group thinks it is important to discuss then. Ergo, it is.

No, it's not. His house being on fire is important. His daughter, sans three pounds of assorted tissue, being in the ER is important. Your game is NOT important.

>Phone-calls? No. Texts? Yes, an unintrusive text at 1 AM isn't going to hurt anyone.
>I mean it wouldn't hurt me, and I'm the one who counts.
>Someone else is actually bothered by this? Fuck them.

>> No.38909948

>>38909922

What?
I'm not reaching at all. My original argument was "That's not what I said". It's been that consistently. I've not changed it. The only one who's changed anything is you claiming I said something then later claiming that you said I implied it.

Got anymore awful arguments?

>> No.38909967

>>38909930

>No, it's not. His house being on fire is important.

Who the fuck is going to text for that?

> His daughter, sans three pounds of assorted tissue, being in the ER is important.

Who in the FUCK is going to text for that?

>>I mean it wouldn't hurt me, and I'm the one who counts.

It wouldn't hurt anyone who acts like an adult and doesn't think the world revolves around them.

>>Someone else is actually bothered by this? Fuck them.

When they act high and mighty about it? Yes, they're probably worth cutting out of the group.

>> No.38909969

>>38909948
>clusterfuck of implications
Just abandon it and give us a real argument instead of this passive aggressive bullshit. Or do you not have a real argument?

>> No.38909981

>>38909967
>high and mighty
>being just a little ticked off that someone woke you up for something so trivial
Pick one, and only one.

>> No.38909996

>>38909907
How the hell is it a hyperbole when it does happen? Its a legitimate reason to not want to silence your texts.

>>38909920
Obviously I mean that unless its urgent you do not text people at that time without them having made it clear its okay. I have no idea how you got the first meaning.

>> No.38910002

>>38909969

There is no argument, dude. My argument is that I never said what you claimed I said. All it takes is for you to go back and read.

I'm honestly have trouble trying to understand what your whole deal is. What are you evening trying to prove, exactly?

>> No.38910007

>>38909705
Not everywhere has those, and they depend on the weather in question.

Out here, tornados have a siren, and that's. Flash floods, blizzards, literally anything that's not a tornado? No dice.

>> No.38910014

>>38909996
>How the hell is it a hyperbole when it does happen? Its a legitimate reason to not want to silence your texts.


It's like saying "I don't lock my front doors because my wife could POTENTIALLY be chased by a rapist who is about to catch her and thus a locked door could spell her doom.

Sure, things like that DO happen. But the fact that you're bring them out as points of argument similar to the moron who used the weather example show just how baseless your actually foundation is.

>> No.38910017

>>38909881
>it's not my fault I woke him up, he's not sleeping properly!
>I shouldn't have to observe basic courtesy, he should totally buy a second car or whatever so he can mute his phone
>it's not me being an asshole, it's the world not bending over backwards to accommodate me

I've had a few kids like these in class. They usually run in small, circle-jerking packs, all agreeing with each other how utterly unfair it is when their actions have consequences.

No one else is ever impressed.

>> No.38910020

>>38910002
>you
Different anon. The other was dead right about you, and yes, I have gone back and read you posts. Now do you have a REAL argument?

>> No.38910029

>>38910002
Not him, but it's quite clear that you are being a dumbass, who knows that you were called out, and now you are desperately reaching for solid ground, trying to make a redundant argument to claim "that was never what you actually meant".

Just give it up kid, you are making more of an ass out of yourself than you probably need to.

>> No.38910032

>>38910017

>he's a teacher

Not surprised you're so bitter really. Dealing with shitty teens for shit money would ruin anyone's personality.

>> No.38910034

>>38909670
>need
Literally nothing OP has said implied that they NEEDED to discuss it then. Half of the posts defending texting at 1 am do so on the grounds that texts aren't urgent, and that you shouldn't have text alerts on if you don't want to be woken up.

Those are not the arguments you use when defending a time at which something NEEDS to be discussed.

>> No.38910051

>>38910017

The guy is an idiot for leaving his phone on at night and than getting upset when a text wakes up him up

first of all, who the fuck has their phone actually ring in 2015
second of all, what right does he have to be upset about it when it's his fault, there's really no way the OP could have known

Stop projecting anon

>> No.38910057

>>38909810
>sex
>tfw trapped into step one

>> No.38910060

>>38906431
>>38909795

who in the world is fucking sleeping at 1 am

>> No.38910064

>>38910051
>the guy is an idiot for not preparing for some jackass to do something incredibly rude and inconsiderate

>> No.38910068

>>38910014
>baseless

Yes, the idea that people should be polite and not bother others for trivial reasons at 1AM is 'baseless'. Do you even think about what you are typing?

It was just an example of why you would want to be able to hear actual important texts. None of my friends or relatives are idiotic or selfish enough to wake me up for trivial things at that time of the morning so its never been an issue for me. But I have had several emergency texts at that time before so I used it as an example.

>> No.38910080

>>38910068

>several emergency texts

Such as?
People keep spouting these "emergency texts" but I can't imagine a situation where someone would text over calling.

>> No.38910091

>>38910080
Mass warnings, such as those given for natural disasters.

>> No.38910092

>>38909591
Well I was referring to the people insulting others rather than just stating there thoughts. It was also ment to be a more of a joke

>> No.38910101

>>38910091

Sirens anon, sirens.
Poor example.

>> No.38910120

>>38910101
>everywhere has sirens
>sirens are used for everything
I've lived in several places with no sirens, and several others where sirens are only used for specific types of warnings.

Poor rebuttal.

>> No.38910143

>>38910120

>I've lived in several places with no sirens

Where? Nigeria?

>several others where sirens are only used for specific types of warnings.

The only warnings you really need are for a Tornado. Blizzards aren't the kind of thing you need IMMEDIATE knowledge of. Even Flash Floods despite their name are usually warned of hours in advance. They don't just "appear".

>> No.38910162

I don't silence phone or texts. I'm the emergency contact for a few people, and my girlfriend sometimes likes to check in regardless. Thing is, I work shifts alternating night/day. So sometimes texting me is totally fine, other times, its annoying. But because of how I use texting in general - its better for me not to turn it off.

>> No.38910165

>>38910060

NEETs on the other side of the planet from where its 1 AM. Regular people.

>> No.38910175

>>38910143
I live in El Paso TX and as far as I know I've never heard sirens outside of the fucking fire station down the street.

>> No.38910177

>>38909967
>Who the fuck is going to text for that?

Your missing the point, badly. You're contacting him, and in doing so, waking him up. Do that at 1Am and it had better be fucking important. If it's not, wait until next morning, or find a method of communication which is certain NOT to wake him up. Texting obviously doesn't cut it.

>It wouldn't hurt anyone who acts like an adult
It hurts anyone who needs to sleep because they have to work in the morning. So most adults.

>and doesn't think the world revolves around them.
This is coming from someone who sees nothign wrong with pestering his friends in the middle of the fucking night.

If you think the world revolves around you, then obviously you can contact people about trivial shit at inconvenient hours. if it bothers them then it's obviously THEY who should bother to make sure this can't happen, regardless of any other consequences that may have. YOU should never have to consider their needs or schedule.

Someone who realises that the needs and feelings of others are equally important to his own on the other hand will go through the negligible effort of just not sending out his text or whatever at one in the fucking night, and send it the next day instead.

>When they act high and mighty about it?
"It's one in the morning. You know I have to work tomorrow right?" isn't being high and mighty, it's being outright diplomatic, in the UN sneak-stuff-past-the-veto way. At that hour anything that isn't half expletives is a restrained response to being woken up.

>>38910014
>Sure, things like that DO happen. But the fact that you're bring them out as points of argument similar to the moron who used the weather example show just how baseless your actually foundation is.

Both are more relevant to some than others, depending on local weather conditions, phone carrier networks, and so on. But since they aren't issues that you have encountered, they obviously don't matter to anyone.

What an egocentric little twat.

>> No.38910185

This thread illustrates the stupidity of the average /tg/ anon. Sometimes I'm embarrassed to share the same interests as you guys, this is one of those times.

>> No.38910198

>>38906133
I would be pissed about a 1 am message, too. After midnight is emergency contact only and nothing about your groups metagaming can qualify as an emergency.

>> No.38910285

>>38910032
Was.

Gooood riddance.

>>38910051
Yeah, we got it already. It's not your fault, it's never your fault, it's always someone else who did something wrong, all the consequences you face are totally unfair.

And the worst thing is you probably actually believe that shit.

>> No.38910303

>>38910080
Why don't you read the reply chain, I have had relatives stranded in places where the phone signal is too weak to make a call but a text can get through.

>> No.38910334

>>38906379

>What is silent mode on a phone?

seriously, if you have to go to bed early, set your phone to silent, it is that fucking easy.

>> No.38910364

>>38910303
>where the phone signal is too weak to make a call but a text can get through.

It's also useful if the battery is near dead.

>> No.38910381

>>38910334
Yeah, let's put my alarm clock on silent, that's gonna work brilliantly.

And better have the guy who forgot suffer for it than for the unemployed bum to have to restrain himself in any way.

>> No.38910387

>>38910334
And what if someone has to urgently contact you with non-bullshit?

>> No.38910395

Do people really not understand how to deal with others? I wouldn't text my uni friends between 6-11:30 AM because I don't want to ruin their sleep. But I wouldn't text my father after midnight because that dude is probably asleep.

>> No.38910410

>>38910334
Or, you could not demand that people put their most essential device on the mode which makes it half-functional because of your selfish assholery.

>> No.38910432

Why don't you just put your phone on silent when you're sleeping?

I receive emails at all hours, so I have my phone go on silent mode between 11-8, when I am often in bed.

>> No.38910442

>>38910432
Read the fucking thread, you irredeemable numbskull.

>> No.38910467

>>38910442

You can set it so that your phone is silent except for a limited set of emergency contact numbers, you know.

>> No.38910687

>>38910143
>Nigeria
No, actually. Several states in the United States don't bother with sirens. California, for instance. I wish we had had texting and emergency alerts back when Northridge happened. It was pretty bad, even where I was.

>Blizzards aren't the kind of thing you need IMMEDIATE knowledge of
I'd kind of like to make sure the dog is inside, then close the dog door. She's been known to stay out in weather she shouldn't.

>Even Flash Floods despite their name are usually warned of hours in advance.
Like at, say, one in the morning, when the actual flood will be an issue if you try to commute to work at your usual time?

>> No.38910718

Regardless of how someone sets their phone up, or how early/late you feel 1 am is, or whatever opinion you have on the matter - 1am is too late to text the average person. I dont know anyone in my firends or family that would do that or does that. and we're hard partyers so..

>> No.38910739

>>38910687
>California, for instance

>state on one of the biggest earthquake-prone spots in the USA
>no alarms

Holy shit are they stupid?

>> No.38910819 [DELETED] 

^^^^
Ban everyone above this post

>> No.38910829

It's sounds like your group of players are a bunch of inconsiderate assholes.

>> No.38911048

This entire thread is a trainwreck and you should all feel bad. Stop replying to the bait.

>> No.38911189

>>38911048
>it is the bait, and Anon is the sun
That means the window is the bait.
Or is this, itself, bait?

>> No.38911243

People want examples of real emergencies that might warrant contact via text at 1 AM?

A couple of months ago a friend of mine decided to commit suicide, and decided to say so via facebook. I was the only person with his contact information. My phone blew up at 2 AM from people trying to get in touch with me so someone could get to him in time.

THAT is a good reason to text someone at 1 AM. I'm currently engaged in 4 different campaign and working on DMing another one. If anyone wakes my ass up about a game at 1 AM, I will personally devour their soul.

>> No.38911491

NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO CONTACT ME AFTER 9PM. WHAT ARE YOU FUCKING LOSERS, JOBLESS CHILDREN!? DON'T YOU KNOW I WORK IN THE MORNING!? I CAN'T BE BOTHERED TO TURN MY ALARMS OFF OR CURATE MY SETTINGS OR TALK TO PEOPLE ABOUT WHAT IS APPROPRIOATE WITH ME! I WORK A BILLION JOBS EVERY HOUR OF THE DAY, IM AN ADULT WITH A REAL LIFE AND A REAL JOB AND YOU WORTHLESS LOSERS ARE WORTHLESS LOSERS WHO ARE UP AT ALL HOURS AND RETARDS AND REJECTS BECAUSE WAAAHHH WAHHHH WAHHHHHHHH

NOW I'VE SHIT MYSELF, GREAT, THANKS YOU FUCKING JOBLESS LOSERS.

>> No.38912219

Are you people being contrarian dicks on purpose or were you really not raised knowing its rude to bother people in the early morning without a very good reason.

>> No.38912238

>>38912219
They're butthurt poorfags who work second or third shift or don't live on the east coast. Poorfags, retards, rednecks.

>> No.38912363

>>38912238
Or maybe they just hate filthy, lazy commies like you.
Go back to posting on reddit, playing Tau and drinking Starbucks.

>> No.38912387

>>38912238
>Lives on East Coast
>Doesn't work ridiculous hours
>Still thinks you're an asshole

Unless you're a privileged little shit who doesn't have to work, texting about a game at that time on a known worknight is shitty. Even when not on a worknight, it's redundant and stupid. Later than midnight on a Friday or Saturday is right out, because I'm either getting drunk, or passed out because I've decided not to get drunk that day.

>> No.38912398

Why do you think you worthless plebs are allowed to contact me? You're so unimportant you're not allowed to speak to me directly.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action