Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

/vt/ is now archived.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 163 KB, 600x825, 1417306743800.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
37639707 No.37639707 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

Rusters Edition

OFFICIAL BOOKS
>Eclipse Phase PDFs
http://robboyle.wordpress.com/eclipse-phase-pdfs
>Zone STALKERs
http://gaxtrope.net/eprepo/ZoneStalkers/Zone_Stalkers%20%2809052014%29.pdf
>Morph Recognition Guide
http://www.mediafire.com/download/j4bjbba89kw8v0y/Eclipse_Phase_Morph_Recognition_Guide_%286098716%29.pdf
>Million Year Echo
https://www.mediafire.com/?45aax64umrlghf2

PLAY AIDS:
>Advice for new players and GMs
http://pastebin.com/e0EErN6X
>Online character creator
http://eclipsephase.oook.ch/Creator/version4/index.php
>Eclipse Phase hacking cheet sheet
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?axe1vs35muk4juh
>Eclipse Phase xls Character sheet
https://sites.google.com/site/eclipsephases/home/cabinet

HOMEBREW AND COMMUNITY CONTENT:
>3 new adventures for your use in convenient PDF form
http://awdaberton.wordpress.com/about/
>Various Eclipse Phase fanmade resources, and links to more
http://www.aleph.se/EclipsePhase/
>An Eclipse Phase yearblog full of items, locations, NPCs, and plot hooks
http://www.farcastblog.com
>Community homebrew document
https://docs.google.com/document/d/19Gy02gp6-WPQ3SoN_24kLPTUu5EjFO8qh_9pjJSVrrY/edit

How often do you incorporate the social stigma for basic morphs into your game? Or for that matter, make GSP bodies a plot point? What is the local "Only stupid assholes sleeve this" morph wherever your game takes place?

>> No.37640267

I want my character to use a comically over-sized gun as her weapon of choice. I'm thinking about a sniper rifle railgun, but I'm not sure if that's going to be a feasible choice of weapon, considering my character will probably only rarely set up a far distance from the actual scuffle to snipe. Will it still work well if I have to use sniper rifle railgun in close quarters?

>> No.37640383

>>37640267
Sure, I mean even if you miss the explosive depressurization will probably kill your target when it blows a hole in the outer wall.

>> No.37640603

>>37640383
That's a problem unto itself, yeah. I'm not really expecting tons of combat and I'm not building with combat in mind either, I just know this character's got the sort of mindset that she'd want to go for the biggest looking gun.

The other players and I have already had a chuckle about how the rest of her party is probably going to have to demand that she leave her sniper rifle behind on the ship whenever we board a had until she begrudgingly agrees. It wouldn't be a bad idea for her to have a smaller sidearm that she could actually, realistically bring with her. A pistol or something, most likely.

>> No.37640709

>>37640267
Depends, how no-fun-allowed-/k/ommando is your GM? By RAW nothing is stopping you. In fact on character I had was an octopus waving around four sniper railguns and got along fine. Had to install a couple of extra limbs to stand on though.

>> No.37640799

>>37640709
My GM is more of the type to play by Rule of Cool and "If you can justify it..." I don't think that's going to be a problem. It's good to know that it's not going to be handicapping myself to do that, although the other anon's point about blowing open hab walls is still valid. But, like I said before, I'm not really expecting that she'll even be ABLE to bring a weapon like that onto most habs in the first place.

>> No.37640964

So how difficult would it be to stat out Tenno as morphs?

>> No.37640993
File: 239 KB, 405x600, desolator.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>37640603
Seems to me what you really want in that situation is a portable x-ray laser. I'm kind of bullshitting here, but I would do is start with a plasma rifle and bolt a set of magnets onto the muzzle to try and manhandle the plasma jet into producing a free electron laser. It's pushing the definition of portable but it would reduce the collateral damage.

>> No.37642232
File: 131 KB, 529x854, 1418705806077.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>37640267
Yes, you can do it, and there are no RAW penalties for it, but many GMs would (rightly) impose penalties for trying it if the opponent got in close.

>>37640383
No, it won't. Most things that are worth shooting with a sniper-rifle railgun are not going to be bothered by decompression, and most holes that a sniper rifle will put in a hull aren't big enough to do so quickly anyway.

>> No.37642597

>>37642232
>Most things that are worth shooting with a sniper-rifle railgun are not going to be bothered by decompression
Would they even be bothered by hard rads like in >>37640993?

>> No.37643325

Would it be unreasonable to run a campaign where the party is collectively controlling a Fenrir as it gets into zany situations that can't be solved by application of moar railgun?

>> No.37643406

>>37640267
There's no rules that make guns work worse in CQC, so you can totally go full Human Revolution and blast people into pieces with a tricked out sniper railgun.

>> No.37643487

>>37643325
Only if the zany situations in question aren't "around the office" white-collar problems liking conflicting feelings about your sexy coworker in the bouncer morph, the asshole from cubicle 2B, your kind-of-crazy boss who never settles on one idea for long, and that god-damned jamming printer that no one has bothered to fix for reasons no one talks about.

>> No.37643559

>>37643487
So playing Warbot In Accounting as the most depressing campaign ever isn't kosher?

>> No.37643602

>>37640603
Just have her be the one with high seeker skill. She can use a seeker when you need to bring out the big guns and then there are miniseekers and microseekers for when you don't need a fuckhueg explosion. Then give her some sort of secondary weapons skill for when you can't go around with hab-destroying weaponry.

>>37643325
Yes. That's a morph that's only used by a single hab and only in military situations.

>>37643406
Except the GM is going to slap up to -30 on you. Modifiers for those sorts of things are left up to the GM. This isn't an especially crunchy system, where there's rules for every situation.

>> No.37644065

>>37643559
Nah, you've misunderstood me. I'm saying that's the only thing that IS kosher.

>>37643602
Ah, that's a good idea. Maybe I will do that. It will still have the same appeal to the character, who is the sort to go to the biggest bang she can find.

>> No.37644276

>>37643487
One of my character concepts for the game my buddy was supposed to run was literally this. A reaper drone outfitted to host TV shows and socialize with media moguls and supermodels, leading to silly situations where a robot tries to schmooze it up with literal party animals.

>>37643602
>Yes. That's a morph that's only used by a single hab and only in military situations.

Anon, please. It's a gag campaign. Fluff it up as being some kind of silly XP show or something. Again, that's what my reaper dude was supposed to be.

I meant it more from a gameplay standpoint, since it would be mechanically clunky to all operate the same morph, right?

>> No.37644295

>>37643406
The fuck are you talking about? The Combat Modifiers chart on Pg. 193 says that an "Attacker in melee combat" has a -30 modifier to their roll. The only thing there isn't a rule for is for large guns being worse in melee than small guns, but guns in general will take a hit in effectiveness if someone's all up in your face.

>> No.37644329

>>37644295
Huh. Guess I missed that. Whoops. My bad.

Though still, you can totally use a sniper rifle at pistol ranges if you want. Just observe the 21 ft rule and you should be fine.

>> No.37644785

>>37644295
Well, to be fair, I said close quarters earlier in >>37640267 when I shouldn't have been using that term. I didn't mean actual melee range, I just meant more of a typical fire-fight with guns, probably more along the lines of short or medium range. I wasn't sure if I'd be suffering some kind of penalty for trying to shoot a sniper rifle at someone closer to me than long range.

>> No.37646728

How do your groups usually resolve the situatioin when the party becomes attached to their morphs? Do you allow them to chug them across the system via physical travel or do you encourage the party NOT to become so attached since "you never know when you'll be egocast across the system"

>> No.37646874

>>37646728
You could also keep them in the same small area until they're ready to leave their morphs behind.

>> No.37647634

Is it feasible to psychosurgically induce task hedonism in transhuman egos? And if so, how common is it?

>> No.37648047
File: 476 KB, 684x1650, robin hanson.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>37647634
Feasible and probably common in Extropia, Legba and other habitats where there aren't any laws against it

>> No.37648472

>>37648047
Much more common in scumfleets. Dr. Mindfuck is named that for a reason.

>> No.37649686
File: 732 KB, 900x540, TQZ.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>> No.37649761

>>37648047
>common in Extropia
Well, there aren't any laws against it, because lollawsonextropia, but it's so monumentally unpopular in practice that I have a feeling most Extropian corps don't practice it, or at least not anywhere the plebs can see, for fear of public backlash, rep death spirals, and boycotts. People get really -nasty- about employers using mind-slavery to ensure loyal, productive employees.

>> No.37649867

>>37649761
I get the feeling the PC would use it with their indentures quite a bit- contingent on the indenture signing on the appropriate line, of course.
And then they charge the indent for it.

>> No.37649938

>>37649867
They tried it, according to Jake Carter, but the backlash and riots were bad enough to make the Consortium back down. Just...let that sink in. The people brought enough pressure over it to make the fucking PC back down.

>> No.37649990

>>37649938
So, applying task hedonism to people makes you kilohitler. Good to know.
Cognite's totally still doing it in secret.

>> No.37650004
File: 93 KB, 434x580, BigRocket.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>37642597
Well, if you're shooting them with a FEL, I'm going to think that the damage mechanism is less "you get sick and die of radiation poisoning" and more "you explode immediately from having 10MJ worth of energy deposited on or in you".

Nonetheless...if you were going to try to use rads only to kill a transhuman...I'd suggest looking here: http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/radiation.php#id--Effects_of_Radiation--Acute_Radiation_Syndrome_Chart

While the game suggests that the radiation enhancement grants thirty times the radiation tolerance, the mechanism is more for enduring long term damage than acute shock. I would generally rule that such measure are of extremely limited effectiveness.

Synthmorphs are another bag of worms. The problem is that this depends on very specific technical details on how EP computers and snythmorph control systems work, so it's hard to answer definitively. Still, we know for sure that synthmorphs do need shielding to survive radiation (admittedly in places that would cook most biomorphs instantly, but still) it's probably a good guess that hitting them with 100 Sieverts would fuck up "something".

>> No.37650444

>>37646728
Tell them to suck it up. Firewall needs *them*, there *now*. If it makes them feel better, have them send alpha forks and have their 'regular' selves just...take a vacation. Do a beach episode - style minisession, or cut back to "what the other you is doing right now" when you need to relieve tension.

>> No.37650731

>>37646728
>>37650444
All but the most hard line bio cons accept the need to ego cast and re sleeve now and again.

If it's really a fuss have them put their old bodies on ice and ship over and give them loaners.

That's said they're not suppose to grow attract to their bods. Player deaths are a meant to be common. Play it like a straight version of paranoia or call of cuthhul where it's just taken as a given all the PCs have identical twin brothers to fall back on.

>> No.37651455

>>37650731
>That's said they're not suppose to grow attract to their bods

Consortium trust fund kiddie detected. Try doing a five year indenture in a brothel for your next morph and then see how willing you are to give it up.

>> No.37651910

>>37651455
>working
What kind of animal are you?

>> No.37652763

>>37651910
>Abstracting 'working' from whatever silly term you autoanarchists use to mean 'doing something day in day out for Rep"

Lokie pls.

>> No.37652846

>>37652763
>you autoanarchists
Keep on insulting your betters like that and you'll see your contract sold to Papa Cognite

>> No.37652855

Any suggestions for interesting or hilarious characters, preferably effective to play? I get 1400 CP, although that is possibly subject to change, and the campaign will likely be standard X threat kind of things. Either characters from fiction or unique ideas are good. My current thought was a build with 10 moxie, high rep and communication skills, and everything else in a ton of Interests. They would never actually take any actions, but rather use luck rolls, friendly NPCs, and random trivia to solve problems. I'd love some other concepts if anyone has some, though!

>> No.37652974

>>37652855
A Luciferian-British gentleman that goes on exoplanetary safaries.
You have a black-skinned neotenic named Bambo as a manservant to carry your rifles and bring you cherry.

>> No.37653007
File: 51 KB, 960x638, Engineer_reads_prometheus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

I'm looking for inspiration for an Ultimate/Exhuman character. Right now the only really striking example I can think of are the Engineers from Prometheus. Does anyone have any other takes on the Exhuman/Ultimate style character?

>> No.37653146

>>37653007
Magnetron and the Brotherhood of Mutants?

>> No.37653230

>>37653007
Leonidas - the one form 300 not the historical one

A guy who insists on sitting in a Flat or even a Freeman until he achieves some physical/ mental threshold he imposed on himself and unpgrades

A guy who read A LOT samurai novels.. or wathed Ghost Dog one time too many

>> No.37653317
File: 7 KB, 184x266, yukio mishima.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>37653007
Yukio Mishima

A gay manlet who dedicated his life to getting swole, fucking ass, and turning his life into a line of poetry written with a splash of blood

Or Max Stirner, or any of /lit/s other heroes really

>> No.37653678

>>37653007
>>37653007
Honestly the writers and designers of *eclipse phase* would come to mind. They take this 'over come your limits' stuff *a little* to seriously. They did named themselves post human studios after all.

You just copy the one of designers twitter feed or some thing. It would be good for a laugh.

>> No.37653716

>>37650004
External sensors are going to die at the very least after something like that.

>> No.37653772

>>37653007
Colonel Kurtz
>I realized They were stronger than We, because They could stand that these were not monsters.

>> No.37653950

My group I'm a player in is about to go to farcast to Saturn to go track down a left behind TITAN and assist the Promethean chasing it, and I'm in charge of picking out morph rentals ahead of time, /epg/ got any advice which are good for the moons, or it's clouds? Or even how to kill a TITAN? My three thoughts are...

>Delete it, which feels safest but wasteful for all that accumulated learning.
>Feed it to our Promethean contact, which is risky as she might go a little crazy, but she can put it's learnings to use? We don't fully trust her but she owes us her life.
>Feed it to our smart guy of the group, who's an uplifted corvid. A fucking INSANE and BAD idea but I kinda want to help his reclaimer goals he can use the extra intelligence for assuming he wouldn't go gobshit mad.

I also got story time!

>> No.37653997

>>37653950
If it's infected, which is more than likely, 2 and 3 will just spread the infection. If not, 1, 2, and 3 are all dick moves.

>> No.37654090

>>37652846
>anarkiddies talking shit
Yeah, you go do that.

>> No.37654107

>>37653997

They're not infected to my knowledge, which is what our Promethean told us. They're just dicks who got imprisoned by her and her forks because they were a danger to human life. I mean... Can we seduce a TITAN and rehabilitate it? I feel if it was that easy she would have done so by now.

>> No.37654119

>>37653950
Post storytime

Also - depends on what the TITANS are exactly in your version of EP (for example in mine the Exurgent viruses are solely a TITAN creation).
1 - The safe option. Also make sure to nuke its hardware into a fine, glowing powder. Just in case.
2 - Risky as hell. The Promethean might go crazy (er) from that EV or not. Or it may retain a piece of TITAN's 'personality'. Or - worst case scenario - IT may be absorbed by the TITAN, which then proceeds to use FIREWALL to pursue its own goals.
3 - Almost certainly lethal to the subject. And near-impossible since TITANS have just TOO MUCH BRAIN to be contained in a single morph. You'll fry the guy's head and stack if he's lucky.

>Killing a TITAN.
I'd handle it similarily to, say, killing an Ancient One in CoC. But, for the sake of an argument, let us assume that the TITAN in question is severely damaged/ only just awakening/ lacks a fully operational industrial base to produce enough drones and nanoswarms/ whatever else. Your best shot would be to nuke his servers. Whatever ship, hab or station it's sleeved into - nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

>Morphs
Whatever you need for piloting the ship that shoots the nuke. Bouncers or neotenics maybe? Or just sleeve directly into the ship.
It, for any reason, you mean to actually set a foot on the station - a fury/bouncer mix would likely be as good as you can get. Avoid synths, pods or anything with a cyberbrain - too easy to hack.

>> No.37654128

>>37654090
>still taking me for some outer-sector trash
>confirmed as in need of major psychorehab

>> No.37654346

>>37654119

I think they are heavily damaged, or have no real server space to get set up on. I mean our investigator is looking into a Saturn hab that crashed when it got a new 'AGI' installed. if a TITAN has to pretend it's an AGI to get someplace to catch a breather, it's desperate. It also calls into question if the rest of these TITANS are contained or just being chased by their wardens, IT'S A LITTLE WORRYING.

>Storytime
It's more heartwarming than anything but it was at the second session of the campaign. I'm playing a Barsoomian in a dinosaur-looking fury and another player is playing his muse who got recompiled into a full AGI due to backstory shenanigans... and they've sort of been sexually involved with one another for the past ten years.

Shuttle we're on doing our pre-firewall milk run test job is infosec assaulted, and we're informed it's coming from the outside of the shuttle. We don't got vacsuits aside from our bird so I send her out to go check it.

>MuseAGIplayer make a perception roll
>99
>"..fuck it, I'll run with it" she says.

Well, all she can see is STATIC and almost loses her grip on the shuttle, infact can't find her way back to the airlock.

That's my muse, un-fucking-acceptable. So I drop the gunfight I'm in and go to the airlock and get internals on as my team is saying NO BAD IDEA, but fuck them, if this was their muse they'd be the first risking their ass like this. Cycle airlock, dig my claws into the hull with a stupid good SOM score and find her, grab an arm and tell her to hang on tight, cause if she lets go, so am I.

>"Whenever it was dark, scary or too lonely to bare, you were always there to say 'it's okay', every time."

Is what I tell her dragging us BOTH back to the airlock with about thirty seconds left before vacuum KO's me, and with help from her gas jets we make it and re-cycle the airlock.

GM was pretty proud of us for that.

>> No.37654640

>>37653950
Freeze the processes, encrypt the code using an algorithm that could only realistically be broken by a TITAN equivalent AI, delete the encryption key, then set a distress beacon on a timer of at least 50 years. If anyone is still around when it goes off, it's reasonable to assume they could deal with the AI on an equal footing.

>> No.37654641

>>37654346
As your muse is in a morph, what are you using as a muse?

>> No.37655212

>>37654641
I had two characters (twin hypercorp heirs) use each other's beta forks as muses so there's that.

>> No.37656577

>>37653007
>Ultimates
A guy from an Ultimate community dedicated to aping the ancient Greeks, who spends his time on philosophy, exercise and sodomy (not necessarily in that order)
>Exhuman
An informorph who psychosurgically modified herself to actually believe she was the ship she sleeved in, rather than just an ego controlling it

>> No.37657756

>>37656577
Now I really want a smart Neo-Hominid with an educated English accent going around with his simple Neo-Gorilla muscle. I imagined a scene where he tears into you for being uneducated and stupid for using the word "aping", and then sets the Neo-Gorilla on you to teach you a lesson. But I wonder what they would do for a living. Standard mobster stuff or something different?

>> No.37657892

>>37657756
They're an Ultimate, so likely mercenary work, including all the illegal possibilities you might be thinking of.

>> No.37657972

>>37657892
No. Not an Ultimate. Reread what I said.

>> No.37658431

>>37657756
>Now I really want a smart Neo-Hominid with an educated English accent going around with his simple Neo-Gorilla muscle. I imagined a scene where he tears into you for being uneducated and stupid for using the word "aping", and then sets the Neo-Gorilla on you to teach you a lesson. But I wonder what they would do for a living. Standard mobster stuff or something different?
I would say different, EVERYONE goes for a thugged up neo-ape

>> No.37659161

>>37658431
Fuck. Why can't I ever come up with character concepts on their own? I always make like two characters that work together but not as well on their own.

>> No.37659265

>>37654640

I ...Might try this, Maybe it might even be less of a 'wipe the slate clean' dickhole when it sees humanity (Maybe) still around and more advanced than it.

>>37654641

Neither of us got muses, so for that strech of the game and in pre-game times they never left one another's sight, really. Currently she's playing a Jove commando flat so the MuseAGI is ghostriding with the barsoom

>> No.37660559

>>37640964
About as difficult as statting up PCs for an all-TITAN campaign. Tenno are literally magic.

>> No.37660748

>>37660559
>an all-TITAN campaign

>players start as infolife AGIs on some remote hab/ server
>little to no memories
>all they know (feel?) is that they're somehow connected
>they do odd jobs for a 'living', maybe even get morphs
>something is not right. they always feel incomplete
>finally one of them has an epiphany
>they reintegrate into godhood

>take away their caracter sheets
>hand them premade Firewall/ OZMA agents
>'There's something wrong with that one hab'

>> No.37661145

So how would Socrates be as a character concept? I'm thinking a Remade with great stats, melee combat and communication skills, and a variety of academics, languages, and interests, but not very many skills that you could get a job with, and probably some Black Marks or Enemies.

>> No.37662003
File: 612 KB, 1100x800, engi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>37653007

>> No.37662581
File: 123 KB, 480x270, 1366686054085.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>37654346
>>"Whenever it was dark, scary or too lonely to bare, you were always there to say 'it's okay', every time."

>> No.37664381

Just how bad is the political basis in this game anyway?

I liked the fluff of this game (and unlike a lot of poster the crunch sounds fantastic, certainly better then what was that other comic horror Sic-Fi game by Catalyst Labs)
But don't share the writers overtly techno progress Utopianism world view and it seems at odds with post apocalyptic horror setting.

I don't want to bring up the 'MRA' stuff but it pissed me right off. I don't care about banning shitposters but asking fans to 'fire' themselves because of how they how they identify politically just fucking bullshit.

>> No.37664439

>>37664381
So, what question are you asking?

You hit the points that the setting isn't great if you don't share the writers' views, and that the "fire yourself from the fandom" thing was bullshit, and that's about all there is to it, so I'm not sure what you're asking.

>> No.37664669

>>37664381
>I don't care about banning shitposters but asking fans to 'fire' themselves because of how they how they identify politically just fucking bullshit.

Whine more. Or if it makes you feel better, just don't read that blogpost. Who gives a shit? They banned some shitposters and wrote a bitchy blogpost.

>But don't share the writers overtly techno progress Utopianism world view and it seems at odds with post apocalyptic horror setting.

Great. Run it that way then. Anarchists are lunatics and Hypercapitalism seems to actually be stabilizing the Inner System.

It really doesn't take that much effort.

>> No.37664754

>>37664439
>>37664439
Can it be *overlooked* at least? I heard the joivains get a more even handed treatment in the rim ward book and the I personally think playing/running a game with mostly human (ie easy to kill/main) PCs would work a lot better as a horror game. Or would it be like trying to run a drow party in Dnd?

>> No.37664793

>>37664381
Any political work is biased. Posthuman is far from the worst at managing this. Basically, the bias is this:

All anarchism is anarchocommunism. The ancaps are only on one habitat, and Objectivists only exist in the form of college student Randians who just want to be assholes. Left anarchism is also represented as generally working nearly perfectly, although this complaint is somewhat negated by the small size of most anarchist habs and the level of technology.

Inner system corporations are represented as clearly mostly evil, at least by inaction if not action. The inner system is also described as capitalist despite being the clearest form of corporatism ever seen.

The Jovian Republic represents America, when the US and all of south america combined with the Vatican and then got a bit more police state. They are the only real government left, in the sense that we think about governments, and they are clearly portrayed as a villain. They represent bioconservativism and authoritarianism, and it is heavily implied that they are basically a bunch of oligarchs who rule a series of crumbling gulags and control territory around Jupiter using the largest navy in the system. They are generally recognized as far more monolithic in evil and goals than they should be.

Besides that, though, everything is pretty realistic in terms of the setting. Really, with minor changes to each of these points in your own fluff, it is easy to balance it towards different political bias. Say most anarchist habs fall apart after a few years and Extropia is less violent than implied. Stop calling what hypercorps do capitalism and say Lunar and Martian culture simply requires the kind of control the corps provide, and play up their contributions to security more. Or make Jupiter basically like modern America, for better or worse. The setting may have some biases, but they are all easily fixable to your own personal preference.

>> No.37664835

>>37664754
If you want to run a game on a Jovian hab to make for better horror, that would work perfectly fine. If you make sure everyone is on the same page with your idea of the fluff then a Drow party worked fine in D&D, too. If you feel the setting needs modifications to make it make more sense, that is not really a problem either. Although, if you want easy to kill, having them all be poor Cases on Luna might work well too.

>> No.37664851

>>37664754
Yeah, Rimward has a Jovian chapter written by a Jovian, so it's a lot more of a fair shake.

As for overlooking it, just play down the "yay anarchists woo!" shit and don't portray that PC and Jovians as puppy kicking evil.

Like >>37664793 says, it's easy to tweak the setting however you like it.

>> No.37664905

>>37664793
>The ancaps are only on one habitat,
Point of order, Ceres, Europa, and a few other "Extropian colonies" exist across the Belt and outer system. Extropianism seems fairly well spread across the solar system, but that may be my own bias at play.

>> No.37665203

>>37664851
It's different because the drow world view is meant to be 'totally alien and evil'. Your party either become drow in name only. A load of total edge lords or a bunch of 'heroic rebels fighting against the the decadence of drow society'.

The jovain world view is basically the closest to modern day 'merican. A culture I hate as much as the eurofag but still is closer to home then some commie space squid system.

>>37664905
I heard the Titans (not T.I.T.A.N.S., yeah dumb I know) are basically space swedes. Da true?

>>37664793
I can't think of any recent RPGs with such clear open political statements. At major 'professional' one. '

>> No.37665333

>>37664905
True, I suppose it is incorrect to say the ancaps are only on one habitat. However, other mostly right anarchist habs like Europa are still not really entirely anarchocapitalist, even if they are not really ancoms. In the Rimward description of it, the two largest political parties in Europa like socialism, although the third largest is libertarian. I'm sure there are plenty of bastions of the Extropian ideology throughout the system, but there is one place where it exists universally on a large scale, while left anarchism is considered the outer system default. I would, however, fully agree with a decision to fluff places like Ceres and Europa as working on basically Extropian methods, but without the bad reputation.

>>37665203
Most RPGs are not very political. Eclipse Phase tries to be realistic, which requires heavy politics, with necessitates bias. Also, Posthuman does not really count as major and professional, they are a small studio, even if their products are high quality.

>> No.37665516

>>37664381

The thing with Eclipse Phase (and you can call it a plus or not, I like it) is that very little is written as objective truth. Setting details are told from the fiction's perspective. This means that political opinions tend to be biased either toward extremely negative threat assessment, or fairly positive extrapolation, because you're talking to an expert, and who better than the people who know enough about where they live, right?

So there's some fluidity in who's opinions you as a player or GM you work with when you actually encounter the setting and play. The game is written to try and examine some interesting ideas atypical to sci-fi as well as the typical ones. In the core, this means anarchists get a lot of love because they were the new hotness for all the writing hires (EP is mostly written by freelancers) so people liked that kind of thing, and they embody a lot of the themes you don't talk about as often. Meanwhile, we know all about obvious drawbacks of corporate greed, security states and conservatism when it comes to technology.

And personally, I say one of the major themes with Eclipse Phase is that technology itself is not your magical savior, so living in a nice, shiny place with lots of toys (in the cold, hard, black, void of space) does not really abate the serious business existential danger.

>> No.37665528

>>37665333
Also, Posthuman does not really count as major and professional, they are a small studio, even if their products are high quality.

I don't know they were a part of Catalyst Labs at least before they cut lose. They're hardly 'mom and pop'

>> No.37665532

>>37665203
>I heard the Titans (not T.I.T.A.N.S., yeah dumb I know) are basically space swedes. Da true?
More Space Norwegians/general Scandis, but yes.

>> No.37665740

>>37665532

Tiny bit of space canada also, because being in on the North Atlantic was NOT FUN prior to the fall.

>>37665528

The actual posthuman studios is like, four guys, that's pretty small. They're professionals, for sure, but the actual studio is miniscule. Majority of the work is done via freelancers.

>> No.37666333

>>37665740
Personally I felt that their little post insinuating that MRAs were the same as Elliott Rodger was the total opposite of professionalism myself.

Running a game company (even a team of four) means keeping your shit out of professional image and not intentionally and directly pissing people off. They got a way with it this time because no one (rightfully) gives a shit about MRAs but imagination if they came out attacked that other group of people with a low view of women. You know the one.

I do agree they make cool shit however I'll give them that.

>> No.37666478

>>37666333
no i seriously don't know the one

which group of faggots is it now

>> No.37666628

>>37654346
What he didn't say is that I was in the middle of self-deleting when he said that.

>> No.37666636
File: 72 KB, 600x912, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>37666478
*Your* Group Of Faggots Anon.

>> No.37666735

>>37666333

I mean, what's the point of being a small , worker-run company with no corporate overlords if can't express your personal opinions on something?

I don't necessarily agree with out they phrased it or how they've always operated with it, but they can say whatever the fuck they like.

>> No.37666912

>>37666333

>Personally I felt that their little post insinuating that MRAs were the same as Elliott Rodger was the total opposite of professionalism myself.

Completely unrelated, but personally, the impression I get from non-4chan subculture interactions is that either there are people out there called MRA who are either way shittier or can't be identified as the typical internet bullshit, or I've spent so much time on 4chan that my views on social norms and socially acceptable behavior are COMPLETELY out of step.

Either way, there's some blank in my perception on this issue that other people clearly do not have.

>> No.37667402

>>37666735
>I don't necessarily agree with out they phrased it or how they've always operated with it, but they can say whatever the fuck they like.

Ture. If guess I just care for their 'we're all progressive future type and we don't like you >:/' tone.

If they had shown a little less zeal on the forums and just said 'Men rights' and related topic was a banned subject mater I'd would have toes supported them for it. But had to they getting on the high horse about it and give the finger to their fans and I kind of want to return the gesture.

Idk remember when Justin Bieber spat on his fans? While I agree when his low view of his fan base I still think it's not good form to openly antagonist your fanbase the even part your hate.

What *I* would have done is just include a colony of evil sexism sentient fedoras who turn women into human/horse sex slaves hybrids and have the heroes blow it up next adventure path. That shit would of been funny.

>> No.37667538

>>37667402
>If they had shown a little less zeal on the forums and just said 'Men rights' and related topic was a banned subject mater I'd would have toes supported them for it. But had to they getting on the high horse about it and give the finger to their fans
I agree, what they did was just, really, pretty fucking dumb from a PR standpoint, as we can see by it comes to haunt these threads regularly.

>> No.37667657

>>37667538
oh no, they pissed off like, six people on 4chan

>> No.37667899

What kind of excuse, if any, would make sense for a person to refuse to sleeve into any sort of physical morph? Would a pathological fear of death suffice?

>> No.37667949 [DELETED] 
File: 46 KB, 1024x576, Bester.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

You know what would be great? B5, done EP-style.

>B5 is situated at Earth-Jupiter L1
>Run by Argonauts, with the staff being members of the Medeans.
>Bester is an async bastard working for Cognite or OZMA, as suits his needs.
>Autonomists are divided, have four ambassadors who don't like each other.
>Titanian Ambassador is smug git, but much more ruthless or perceptive than he appears.
>Jovian Ambassador genuinely likable waifu[/waifu] person and leads the local religious organizations.
>PC ambassador always looking for an edge on the others, oily, and way too damned good at it.
>Venusian ambassador is a party girl who has been pawned off on this outpost because it's a waste of time.
>LLA rep is deep into reclaimer politics, wants to reclaim Earth.
>Utlimates don't send rep, but have an 'unofficial' rep who runs the local bloodsport.
>Factor rep is mysterious and no one knows what the hell goes on on board the factor ship or quarters.
>Downbelow filled with clankers.

>> No.37667986
File: 63 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>37667899
Maybe they died some really terrible death during the Fall but somehow their stack was secured and they left as an infugee. Now they refuse to sleeve back because they don't want to remember what having a body is like and therefore what was done to their last one.

I'm not talking lewd here either, forced vivisection or some shit.

>> No.37668044
File: 46 KB, 1024x576, Bester.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>37667899
That would do it. Also neural damage that made it intensely uncomfortable to have any sensation at all (you know, like air on your skin) or total body dysmorphia, where any body you wear feels 'wrong' somehow - like you want to cut off all your limbs or something.

Also, B5, done EP-style (pic related).
>B5 is situated at Earth-Jupiter L1
>Run by Argonauts, with the staff being members of the Medeans.
>Bester is an async bastard working for Cognite or OZMA, as suits his needs.
>Autonomists are divided, have four ambassadors who don't like each other.
>Titanian Ambassador is smug git, but much more ruthless or perceptive than he appears.
>Jovian Ambassador genuinely likable waifu person and leads the local religious organizations.
>PC ambassador always looking for an edge on the others, oily, and way too damned good at it.
>Venusian ambassador is a party girl who has been pawned off on this outpost because it's a waste of time.
>LLA rep is deep into reclaimer politics, wants to reclaim Earth.
>Utlimates don't send rep, but have an 'unofficial' rep who runs the local bloodsport.
>Factor rep is mysterious and no one knows what the hell goes on on board the factor ship or quarters.
>Downbelow filled with clankers.

>> No.37668114

>>37667899

You could have been forcibly uploaded in the Fall and have a REAL nasty case of morphing disorder. Sleeving into a physical body is just way too much trouble for you. (Either in the stress format, or the "I spend a week puking up my new organs" way)

You could be an Infolife or psychosurgeried so that your brainprint or cognome aren't within the normal human baseline any more, so biobrains and even most off-the-shelf cyberbrains don't handle running your Ego well (or you die or something because your brainprint lacks the proper modelling to make your heart beat properly).

You could have gone REAL native in simulspace, which is something that can happen to uploads after a long time in virtuality, and physical limitations are just weird now.

Thanatophobia kind of works, but being a virtual instance does not make you hardier against death, and in some ways makes it easier. Because unless your server rack has arms, you can't move or defend your "self" when someone decides they want to rub a magnetron on your brain. And it's back to backups with you, you don't own a stack.

>> No.37668260

>>37668114
Rubbing a magnetron on his server only works if he hasn't gone cloud.

>> No.37668291

>>37667899
I think this is explicitly called out in one of the books.

Especially if you've experienced death and been restored from your stack.

>> No.37668306

One thing I don't quite understand is why have a body is seen as that bad at all really.

Post fall refugees are to poor to afford a New body are described as living in 'VR slums'. Couldn't they just make a matrix and pretend nothing bad happen and life goes on as normal?

>> No.37668333

>>37668306
*not* having a body, I mean.

>> No.37668391

>>37668306
In the outer system, that isn't the case.

In the inner system, they most likely can't afford the simulspace subscriptions and can't afford to store themselves on a nice, private server capable of running a simulspace. They either use cheap servers or distribute across public ones. It sucks.

>> No.37668543

>>37668260

Egos don't cloud well. You really don't want information lag or low bandwidth between the virtual representations of your hemispheres, or whatever. Swarm Composition can do this between miniature cyberbrains, but they have to be close, and you can fuck their shit up with an EMP grenade.

>>37668306

Yes, but money. See, ego storage is one of the few non-limitless, and you need a decent amount of processing power and quality to run Egos well. Then you also need to operate an immersive and highly realistic simluspace on top of that. That's more servers, more operators, more maintenance. Plus, people in virtuality can suffer psychological effects, especially if they're fresh from the Fall out of cold storage. You might have to do psychosurgery to perfect the illusion of perfect happiness, and that's kind of skeezy.

Now, in the outer system, there are some Processor Locus habs out there, just servers clumped together surrounded by defense platforms and other drones, but those are deliberate projects in virtual living space. Most people don't want to commit to full-time disembodiment, for several reasons.

>> No.37668595

>>37668391
Right so it's renting from net flicks or iTunes vs your own DVDs:"/CD. If might be cost more but there're the corporate fuckers you'll make you listen to U2.

Still people seem oddly keen on having morps in a wireless world. I guess it the meta reason is the game wouldn't work if everybody was infomorps but I was wondering what the in universe reasoning was.

>> No.37668747

>>37668595

If you're data, TITANs and other shit can nom you directly. If you're physically instanced, you can offer limited physical resistance.

An informorph ego can be deleted, copied or edited easily by someone with the right administrative powers. And as noted, there's no cortical stack for near seemless continuity, just regular backing up.

Also, some people are not cut out for permanent or otherwise long-term disembodiment. Emulation is pretty good, but it can mess with your head after a while, freaks a lot of people out.

Your quality of life is entirely dependent on the hardware quality you can shove yourself in. Riding on an Ecto is like living in a storage closet, while an enhanced, specialized server with a good Eidolon is like owning a castle. And those servers are not always cheap or compact. Plus, you need a decent and steady flow of electric to live.

As you say, it's a completely wireless world, why take dangers and complications when you can do almost all the same things an informorph can while retaining your physical instance?

>> No.37668953
File: 3.67 MB, 1704x1054, ServerFailure.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>37668747
>pictured: why everybody cannot be infomorphs

>> No.37670691

>>37643325
While gatejumping the Fenrir gets stranded in a Sol system asteroid, where it discovers a TITAN artefact. Opening the artefact, a sexy but naïve seed AI in a nanoswarm springs forth. She is willing to meet the Fenrir's every whim, but the Morningstar coalition can't find out! Watch these crazy hijinks and more, especially as the Fenrir's team neighbour, and fellow gatecrasher, Another Fenrir from a different service discovers them! And wants the TITAN seed for themselves! Will MJR NLS3N ever be free of G3N33? (warning: fork/merge undertones)

>> No.37670737

>>37647634
End proletarian mental mutilation. There are people out there who mutilate consciousnesses under 25 for goodness sakes. Those people will never experience the wonder of anomie.

>> No.37670793

>>37653317
>or any of /lit/s other heroes really
He forcemerged his sister, Phoebe.

Where do the uplifted Crows go in the winter?

>> No.37670839

>>37653950
You do realise it will have back-ups elsewhere. Possibly even seed back-ups written into basilisks?

>> No.37670980

>>37667538
Yeah, I'm sure that in a freeware anarchist game aimed at anarchists there's a massive backlash against them publicly shitting on fash.

>> No.37671097

>>37668543
>Egos don't cloud well. You really don't want information lag or low bandwidth between the virtual representations of your hemispheres, or whatever. Swarm Composition can do this between miniature cyberbrains, but they have to be close, and you can fuck their shit up with an EMP grenade.

Quantum entanglement bus. We exist on so many satellites, so very many, we always want another bus, another server.

EENCRYPTEED EEYEES ONLY

Strangee buying patteerns for quantum eentangleed high speeeed high bandwidth communication deevicees havee beeeen deeteecteed. Pleeasee asseemblee and inveestigatee.

>> No.37672372

>>37668044
This is my new canon

>> No.37672540

>>37668306

That was one of the first questions that popped out in my group's discussions before we even started playing.

We ended up deciding that simulspace, syntmorphs and - to alesser extent - pods just FEEL wrong. Or rather they don't feel. Regular servers and cyberbrains simply cannot handle processing all the sensory data that flesh usually provides and this sensory deprivation means that anyone born with a body will want to get back into one as soon as possible.

AGIs obviously don't share this issue (many of them, in turn, suffer from overstimulation when sleeved into a biomorph) and there's some rare individuals that can handle both flesh and metal with no ill effects whatsoever.

>> No.37672597

>>37672540
>born slippy
>sleeve into meat
>datastreams require conscious semantic attention instead of being a sensuous experience

Never again. You're telling me I have to attend to social messaging discretely? Nope.

>> No.37673166

Tell me why it's a bad idea to take a Bruiser and slap all of the toughness I can onto it, EP general.

>> No.37673300

>>37673166
Because you could probably get a reaper for pretty much the same price.

>> No.37673471

>>37673300
Ah, yes. "Reapers".

>> No.37673509

>>37673471
>designs a character around their sleeve

>> No.37673631

>>37673509
Sleeves seem pretty expensive and it doesn't seem non-trivial to get a new one if you lose them, without getting into all of the bad problems that happen when you're without.

I'm not honestly sure how I'd get into the mindset of looking at a morph as disposable and impermanent when being without a morph is made out to be such a wretched, undesirable state.

>> No.37673713
File: 3.30 MB, 4050x3010, 1422400909118.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>37673166
>Tell me why it's a bad idea to be a big guy, EP general.

It's an amazing idea

For you

>>37673631
That's why you work for Firewall, the company foots the bill and all it costs you is a few holes in your memory and irreversible ego damage

>> No.37673718

>>37673631
Some of us didn't become conscious in, or as, meat bags. Some of us have never yet had to suffer the indignity of ejaculating waste products.

>> No.37674119

>>37667538
What you need to understand is that the entire movement is a politically correct version of the Westboro Baptist Church. Any publicity is good publicity.

>> No.37674674

>>37668291
How about a destructive upload, without anaesthetic? It'd probably be really traumatising to remember your last living moments feeling the pain of your brain being sliced to ribbons.

Also, a possible relevant quirk would be to have the person resist getting a new body in a way like an alcoholic trying to stay dry. It would be interestingly weird, treating normal human sensation as an addiction.

>> No.37674697

>>37674674
I'm fairly sure the brain itself doesn't have pain receptors. It's not that uncommon to keep the patient awake during brain surgery.

>> No.37674777

>>37674697
I'm afraid. I'm afraid my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a... fraid.

>> No.37674877

>>37674697
It's pretty standard to actually keep them awake and talk to them. It serves as a precaution in case you start poking a scalpel where you shouldn't.

>> No.37675173
File: 57 KB, 500x500, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

Considering egocast is the only way to get around in any practical time frame I was wondering it there was some sort of body 'loaner' system the players could use so to hand wave keeping the same type bod next mission but not get them to treat them as disposable.

Piece of shit related.

>> No.37675305

>>37675173
Resleeving centres probably keep a certain stock of bodies.

In the inner system you'll likely get run-off-the-mill cases, pods, splicers, bouncers, maybe some furies.
I'd guess that some people even rent their own morphs to travellers, going to cold storage or simspace for a time. Or maybe some lower-class citizens pool together their resources and get a pimped-out sylph to rent to upper-middle class sex-tourists?
The hyperelite likely keep a spare of their custom morph in every location they like to visit.

On Titan you'll get one of their five kinds of hazer.

In anarch habs and scumswarms you don't ever know what you'll get. 'Sorry, all we have free at the time is a novacrab, a neo-parrot and that ocdildopus over there..'

>> No.37675400

>>37675305
In the inner system, you'll get synthmorphs, cheap and uplift biomorphs, and pods in your lower class resleeving centers. In your middle/upper class ones, they'll have a good selection of pretty much all of the non-exotic biomorphs, minus those that are more location specific, with a few nice pods, synthmorphs, and uplift biomorphs thrown in for the eccentrics.

>> No.37675430

Is there any sort of stigma against resleeving across gender or species lines? I mean outside of the luddite factions.

>> No.37675486

>>37675430
Resleeving across gender lines is pretty normal and accepted, although a lot people prefer to sleeve as one gender over another for whatever reason
Resleeving across species lines (so a human in an uplift morph, or vice versa) is considered a bit deviant to the point some Consortium cits often sleeve as gorilla's when they hit up a brothel for an extra kink kick
Also, if your a human in an uplift, be aware that some uplifts might find it a little insulting. It's the ultimate form of cultural appropriation
Similarly for uplifts in human morphs, you might get some odd looks when/if you tell people. Some uplifts might even think of you as an Uncle Tom trying to hide your origins

>> No.37675523

>>37675486
>Also, if your a human in an uplift, be aware that some uplifts might find it a little insulting. It's the ultimate form of cultural appropriation
>Similarly for uplifts in human morphs, you might get some odd looks when/if you tell people. Some uplifts might even think of you as an Uncle Tom trying to hide your origins

There's no really blatant way for anyone finding out though, is there? I mean short of your character blabbing about it or someone involved in the sleeving business spilling it.

Or is there some kind of registry function for these things?

>> No.37675546

>>37675523
In the time when everyone's life is posted on their facebook feeds (live feeds in some cases)?
It's enough they check your profile.

>> No.37675558

>>37675523
If you cover your tracks there isn't a way to find out, but you'd basically have to scrub any kind of profile you had when you were openly an uplift and start all over again.
Of course a full ego scan would show a few tell tale signs but if your in that kind of trouble you've got bigger issues

>> No.37675562

>>37675430
Given how people who's minds say that they should be one sex when their body is another experience a lot of mental stress, it's strange that in EP, the penalty with regards to gender is -10 when the sex of a morph is different from your last morph.

>> No.37675575

>>37675558
It's the kind of thing that stands out if it's hidden.

>> No.37675621

>>37675562
The Fall heavily selected for people who were pretty OK with resleeving into pretty much anything and everything. Very few people escaped the Earth in physical form
Combine that with an unknown length of time (at least 80 years) of people resleeving around and trying whole new body experiences, the transhuman mind is remarkably nonplussed about the body it's sleeved into
>>37675575
Exactly. Essentially the uplift would have to electronically die and disappear to be replaced with a totally human persona that seemingly emerged from nowhere. Which could be a good plot hook for a classic gumshoe campaign in the low down streets of Valles-New Shanghai

>> No.37675654

>>37675621
>The Fall heavily selected for people who were pretty OK with resleeving into pretty much anything and everything.

>Actual cowgirl with an udder? Sure I'm up for that!

The world of /d/.

>> No.37675682

>>37675621
>The Fall heavily selected for people who were pretty OK with resleeving into pretty much anything and everything. Very few people escaped the Earth in physical form
>Combine that with an unknown length of time (at least 80 years) of people resleeving around and trying whole new body experiences, the transhuman mind is remarkably nonplussed about the body it's sleeved into

But that's wrong. Something like 80% of currently instituted people have only ever resleeved a couple of times. Most infugees are in dead storage. Those who aren't are mostly infomorps. That can be counted as one resleeve. Most people pre-fall weren't resleeving like they change clothes either. That's how it was presented in A Time of Eclipse, but the more you read the more you realize that it only applies for a small fraction of the population.

>> No.37675876

>Implying uplifts had any form of culture worth speaking of before Tranhumanity got to them.

>> No.37675915

>>37675876
If I were a bored Promethean, I'd totally run an evolutionary simulation with Larger Pacific Striped Octopi and guide them toward full sapience before unleashing them on transhumanity.

>> No.37676113

>>37675915
Who do you think is your proxy?

>> No.37676367

>>37675876
Dolphins had gang rapes and thrill killing
Bonobos had sex and masturbation
Crows had cleptomania

>> No.37676654
File: 323 KB, 1440x1080, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>37676367
>Crows had cleptomania
But of course

>> No.37676686

>>37676113
An OZMA plant. Everyone is an OZMA plant.

>> No.37676712

>>37676686
Stop looking at your fucking garden and get back to monitoring communications Agent 8164087!

>> No.37676765

>>37675915
Promethean? You really believe that urban legend? The only seed AIs that ever existed were the TITANs.

>> No.37676836

>>37676367
You mean hoarding. Kleptomania is obsessive stealing. Hoarding is obsessive collection of junk. Semi-functional hoarders hoard things that might actually come in handy every once in a while (i.e. random gear). Functional hoarders hoard nanofab feedstock bricks. Highly functional hoarders hoard nanofab blueprints. Although, at that point, it's not a detriment and you don't get the 10 bonus CP for it and therefore have to pay Rez to make up for the difference.

>> No.37677220

>>37676367
well the homo genus had all of those millions of years ago so we still win
HFY

>> No.37677867

>not owning a morph designed specifically for sex

It's like your characters don't spend their off time in decadent sex pits

>> No.37677987

>>37677867
That's right. I don't. I've kept my one and only birth morph from the slums til now, and I'm not losing it even if I die.

>> No.37678082

>>37677867
>that feel when you don't have a hyperelite waifu who specializes in morph design, testing her new designs on you
It's like you can't even waifu right

>> No.37678118

>>37678082

>TFW you don't act as her test subject even as she lets you use her

It's like you don't even waifu.

>>37677987

>being this luddite

>> No.37678120

>>37677867
Goddamned degenerates.
I mean, shit, there's nothing wrong with some fucking insane sex, but there are other things in life.

>> No.37678159

>>37678118
Ey, I'm no ludmite or whatever. I'm just not interested in sex, and I wanna keep the little bit of me that's me. You feel me?

>> No.37679227

>>37675682
>Most people pre-fall weren't resleeving like they change clothes either. That's how it was presented in A Time of Eclipse, but the more you read the more you realize that it only applies for a small fraction of the population.
In fact, my game had quite a bit of mileage milked out of the differences between 'sleeve as clothing' mindsets, and the people who resleeve rarely or never and spend days stumbling around when forced to resleeve.

>> No.37679253

>>37675682

I can't even imagine what it's like for the transhumans who constantly resleeve.

>> No.37679402

>>37678120
Who said that was everything? I barely touched the surface.

>be freelance mercenary
>be in your ship in a biomorph run by alpha infomorph forks of you
>have a squad of 5 pimped out war daityas run by alpha forks of you
>be the hub of all of this, making sure to keep one solid consciousness
>chill, rewatching highlight XPs while your forks kick ass or work on skills n' shit
>rack up all the fighting experience because integrating forks
>egocast home while your ship goes to the next assignment or home port
>wake up and meet up with your waifu, who informs you of all the progress she's made while you were gone and the backlog of designs that have to be "evaluated" and "stress tested".

And that's how I would life in EP. Assuming I'm a richfag instead of a poorfag like most people are in EP

>> No.37679559

>>37679402
A toned down version of that is how my Martian Extropian PC lived
>Helped run a merc company as cover for when the plot happened and we needed to go shoot some fuckers
>Day job was running a porn company and working freelance as a programmer and mechanic
>Relaxation, sex, vidya, chatting with the family, or working on the bike to make it more pimping, and shitting on Barsoomians for being lazy fuckers who didn't want to actually work for their money
>Average work day: 10-12ish hours on 3-4 different lucrative jobs
>Average sleep cycle: 2 hour catnaps whenever downtime hit, stimulants.
>Money available: More than actually needed, but control freak nature and memories of the family's lives when they were all poorfags meant "WORK DAMMIT"

>> No.37679647

>>37679402
If I ever actually play EP, I'm going to go full fork-cloud. Or someone who aspires to go full fork-cloud, at the very least.

>> No.37679757

>>37646874
This is absolutely reasonable, for certain habs. If they want to have all their missions on Mars, Luna, or one of the bigger Belt stations, it could be made to work.

>> No.37679780

>>37679757
Agreed, I've had entire games just taking place on and near Mars, and the Belt would be similarly easy to handle.

>> No.37679830

>>37679227
>>37679253
How sleeving stress should be is gender dysmorphia, but generalized. The body is sending your brain signals that are different than you're used to. Something just feels wrong about it. Your senses can be stronger, weaker, just a little off but enough to make it unnerving, or just plain alien. It's worse when you have limbs you didn't have before or don't have limbs that you are used to having. The further you go away from your natural physiology, the worse it gets. If it sounds terrifying, it should be. This is one of the things that the devs gloss over to make their morph-hopping magical realm work, but it's actually one of the more terrifying aspects of EP. This might be what the devs were trying to avoid with the ego-bridge's Ship of Theseus thing, but it almost feels wrong to make so light of it. It also feels kinda wrong to leave it mostly up to luck. It's kinda stupid that getting a lucky roll can make a human mind find an octopus body feels a-ok from the get go.

>>37679647
It's exploitable like that in fluff, but to make sure that everyone isn't doing that just to be a munchkin, when reintegrating morphs that have skill increases or trait gains that you don't have, you either have to fork over the Rez points for them or they disappear when you reintegrate.

>> No.37680914

>>37675682
Guess which fraction of the population preferentially survived the human extinction event?

>> No.37680950

>>37680914
Rich people who could afford to egocast, the upper middle class who lived in secure, riot-free enclaves, and migrant space workers. The poor and ultrapoor almost all got eaten by TITANs. There's a slogan for you, anarchism and transhumanism work! ...If you kill all the poorfags first.

>> No.37680966

>>37676765
There's some good evidence that high frequency trading systems and some search, library and precis systems achieved self-expanding consciousness during the fall. They all got lead in the head, from what we can tell, off of TITANs. Bunker penetrating lead in the head.

>> No.37681077

>>37680950
Some how I don't see that catching on...

>> No.37681079

>>37680950
>middle class
The whom now? … … … You mean like highly paid sex workers who can afford to buy their own apartment in the ghetto? Why do you think armed flat ghettos with open water storage in the vegetable grow zone had fewer riots than armed vertical ghettos with integrated aquaculture? Just what jobs were these people working that left them "secure" but not elite? The last time secure work existed for preferential skills was in 2040.

>secure middle class
You make me laugh.

>> No.37681137

>>37681079
>Just what jobs were these people working that left them "secure" but not elite? The last time secure work existed for preferential skills was in 2040.
Enclavers, man. They're only 'middle class' because they're rich enough to afford fortified gated communities with walls high enough that they don't have to look at the slums, as opposed to rich enough that they own the slums. Most of them live on Luna and Mars now.

>> No.37681244

>>37681137
I don't see how or why I am really mean to politically differentiate the great rich from the small rich when they both fuck my arsehole. Your terminology is a classic example of a false middle.

>> No.37681284

>>37679830

The devs have talked about that if they did it over, they might want to rework the stress/lucidity system into almost like a couple different stats, like tracking Continuity and Alienation on seperate Stress tracks rather than have it all be the same stress system.

Personally, for an unified abstraction, EP does alright. Resleeving is a bit of a setting linchpin, so it's given a certain amount of leeway, but I think in terms of everything else in the game mechanics, it does alright.

Integration is how well your mind acclimates to new physical qualities of your morph, and supposedly this can be boosted by "patching" you, which kind of give you the right muscle memory to not have too much trouble, assuming you have the right level of physical control to adapt. If you do not adapt, you feel like shit for a few days while you kind of readjust to performing tasks now that your 6'8'' instead of 6'4''. Or you can never get used to it if you really fail.

Alienation is the psychological impact, having a new face, new biochem. If your character is not adaptive enough (keeping in mind, Transhumans are tougher than Flats on average), you can take some serious stress. Say you roll a 99 out of average 45. That's 10 points of stress in a single hit, which is as freaky as say, running into an Exsurgent can possibly be. Or you might roll 55 out of 45 and take 2 stress.

I think, in line with the themes, Continuity is supposed to be freakier, hence why it often has higher chance for stress, but both events can fuck your shit.

>> No.37681350

>>37681244

Because you're poor and getting fucked in the ass and you don't get to make political distinctions?

Also, comparing the "middle class" that exists in the Planetary Consortium in 10 AF (who are non-indentured workers usually in contract or freelance jobs with enough pay to cover their basic services like housing, food and medical and also have disposable income to drive the PC economy) to the Hyperelite (who can buy indentured workers, entire housing developments and their daddies and mommas make the basic infrastructure and they probably never had to worry about paying for them in their life) is like telling me a Dog is a Wolf. They're related, but are definitely not the same animal.

>> No.37682035
File: 57 KB, 695x551, internet is the beginning of a type 1 civilization.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>37679402
>Assuming I'm a richfag instead of a poorfag like most people are in EP

>wake up
>slurp down some nutrient slurry
>browse filtered mesh
>company issued muse reminds me it's time to get to work
>spend 14 hours getting fucked in every hole, eating shit with a smile
>dump your company issued pod in the healing vat and go offline until your next shift
>repeat for several M-years
>earn your own morph
>start at step 1, except now you have to pay for food, housing, insurance, upkeep

>> No.37682065

>>37678082
>not a bright-eyed young AI who's only just barely over the threshold for going seed
>every week she calls you to explain how she managed to optimize her core processes by another 0.01% and talk about all the amazing things you'll do together when she finally makes it off the flat part of the improvement curve
>and the Firewall nukes the hab. Fucking Firewall

>> No.37682237

>>37682065
Its the same if you're dating fork/mergers. They never last long. I've got a kind of fetish. Most last fewer than three months. They all disappear or "go mad."

Take off phase. Not even once.

>> No.37682441
File: 43 KB, 400x335, Office space boss.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>37682035
>Be freelancer drone in VNS in a splicer
>Own my own closet in New Pittsburgh
>Wake up in the morning half past nine, stagger into the communal sonic cleanser, get dressed in my smartclothes
>Take a half-mile walk down to my favorite burger joint, ping the place's maker and orer my usual bottomless Kooky Kola Klassik for 20 credits, brought to me by the place's servitor bots. Order an actually cooked Egz & Bakin Burger with fries from the kitchen
>Log into the corporate VPN and start constructing ads to bypass mesh filters and spread memetically through advertising-laden catchphrases.
>Get paid decent amounts for it, paid per ad graded on the success thereof, so it pays to spam until you get really fucking good at predicting how to make a good ad
>All done over the mesh in a corporate VPN. My body is sitting in a burger joint eating a burger with fake eggs and fake bacon, drinking hyper-caffienated cola and getting up to piss every 15 minutes
>Do about six hours of this
>Boss pings me as I'm shutting down my connection
>"Hey, we're about to release a new product in your area, and we're worried about piracy cutting into profits. If you could give us at least 50 anti-piracy adverts, that'd be greaaaat. Standard fee."
>Work another six hours banging out shitty anti-piracy ads
>It's fucking ten at night
>Made mad bank
>Log out, go clubbing for the next five hours
>Go home, sleep
>Wake up in my closet
>Turns out my ad "When you support piracy, you're supporting ANARCHY" went fucking viral
>3 points of @-rep overnight
>No change to c-rep
>At least today I probably won't be pulling double shift again, right?
>I hate freelancing.

>> No.37682538

>>37682441
>owns his own body
You need to be IPD.

>> No.37683681
File: 280 KB, 1016x1080, Anarchist Saboteur.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>> No.37683745

So what you guys think to the 'back jack' roll as high as you can while staying under you stat system?

>> No.37684311

>>37682538
Impulsive Personality Disorder? Seriously, you can't just throw around TLAs that can mean a half dozen things while using the most obscure ones.

>>37681079
>>37680950
I ignore the pre-Fall history more or less, since it's obviously going to be completely colored by the devs political biases. All you need is the rise of some megacorps, the development of the prerequisite tech, the colonization of space, and the Fall. Everything else is unneeded political bullshit.

>>37680914
The people in space already, the people with enough money and connections to get a spot on an evacuation shuttle, and the people with stacks who were lucky enough to be able to egocast out. Of those that egocasted out, only 20% have been reinstantiated, including those that actually had a second morph in space.

>> No.37684533

>>37684311
>Inflicted Permanent Death

>eclipse phase
>unneeded political bullshit
Is there anything that isn't political? Render unto Cæsar.

>> No.37684635

>>37682035
>instance as infomorph
>work 24/7/365 for 30 subjective years
>work: breaking virtual rocks
>forget all but work
>abducted by anarch terrorists
>discover work was in x3 time acceleration
>have to pick morph
>can't choose

Help. Save me.

>> No.37684718

>>37684635
Become a rock.

>> No.37684753
File: 146 KB, 700x621, flexbot.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>37684635
Look at this motherfucker and tell me you don't want to sleeve in it. This shit is Isaac Clarke meets the fucking Terminator.

>> No.37684807
File: 93 KB, 600x900, Brother Clarke.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>37684753

Why not Isaac Clarke IN a Terminator?

>> No.37684846

>>37684718
Dude, that's really Zen, and I didn't know rocks could house human minds.

...Wait, does that mean I was killing people this past decade?

>>37684753
>>37684807
I don't quite get those references. Besides, wouldn't people want me to just break rocks for them, like I've been told? Can these even hold a pickaxe?

>> No.37684892

>>37684846
>...Wait, does that mean I was killing people this past decade?
If you were working for inner system goons, then yes, even if all you did was break virtual rocks.

Why are you being forced into meat? Stay slippy. Break rocks for sculpture, and take breaks from breaking.

>> No.37684894

>>37684846
man there's waaay more to life then rocks. you ever tried trees?

>> No.37684990

>>37684892
They said something about me deserving a morph after all this 'oppression' I supposedly suffered.

Come to think of it, your name smells funny, as if it were aged or rotten.

>>37684894
Trees? What are those? Are those some other type of rock?

>> No.37685077
File: 128 KB, 810x1412, Eclipse Phase.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>37684533
But you can get rid of a lot of the bullshit just by cutting the worst bits of the factions and making the Ancoms less functional. WWIII and class uprisings are just unnecessary. Not everyone wants pic related.

>> No.37685155

>>37684990
oh boy, you're in for a WHOLE ENW WORLD my friend.

Where'd you get casted to, Locus? hit me up I'll get you a nice simple synth. no muss no biological fuss, and best of all: no discrimination (here, at least)

>> No.37685157

>>37684807
Holy crap that armor is awesome. If it just weren't for the hugefuck pauldrons, it'd be even better. Yes, I know it's 40k, but the pauldrons just don't fit with the rest of it.

>> No.37685163

>>37685077
>you can make a political post-apoc space horror not a political post-apoc space horror by removing the political post-apoc space horror

And I've run MaidRPG set in Auschwitz with a Kapo as a Butler.

>> No.37685258

>>37685155
I dunno, man. They're not telling me, either. I'm stuck in a white box, and strangers keep asking me weird questions.

>> No.37685300

>>37685163
I said nothing about removing the post-apoc space horror. I'm not even saying to make the bad factions good. I'm just saying that I don't want to play if I'm forced to drink the devs' kool-aid.

>>37685258
Nice try, TIMMY.

>> No.37685593

>>37685300

Honestly, I think the kool-aid is way more that the freelancers found Anarchists way more interesting than most of the other factions, or those factions were more obviously evil. I don't think there are necessarily a lot of systemic flaws in either branch of anarchism, it's more social concerns with real-world human behavior, in that "no plan survives contact" kind of way.

>> No.37686057

>>37685593
>Freelancers
No. The devs are full-on anarcho-communists. Just look at the Jovians. The devs stuck everything they don't like into one faction and then put a dollop of shit on top. It was only slightly redeemed in Rimward by saying that there are some good, relatively moderate people there, but it's still horrible as a faction. Also, just read some of the stuff the devs post on their blogs and shit. It's very clear what their world view is like.

Either branch of Anarchism? If you're referring to the Ancaps, they're made out to be evil as well. The systemic flaw for Ancoms is that the only rights you have are the ones people feel like you should have based on your rep. That and if you have enough rep, a human rights violation here or there won't put much of a dent in your social standing as long as its against someone no one cares about.

>> No.37686068

A friend of mine told me that everyone here has a Bonzi Buddy root kitted in their heads. Is this true? If so, how do I stop it from distracting me when I'm trying to stay alive?

>> No.37686133

>>37685593
We know how "no plan survives contact" with anarchism.

Mutualism and anarcho-capitalism either decay into failed small businesses, are reabsorbed into capitalism as standard directly, are reabsorbed indirectly via the slow corruption of cooperatives or their integration into Titanian style social-democratic capitalism, or become token trading games inside an anarcho-communist context.

Anarcho-communism either decays directly into state capitalism (cf: 1917-1918), or social democracy (cf: 1936-7), or is directly militarily crushed (1956), or results in tantric guerilla warfare (Chiapas). Or it results in exactly the same boring life but with delegated recallable power and constant meetings (1956).

Commune formation ends up with collapse (Christian Socialism in the 19th Century), or in static isolated communities (Anabaptist Communism), or in fire and blood (Diggers, German Peasants War, Anabaptism again), or in "The Pig Farm" where patriarchy / equivalent asserts itself, or in Kool Aide.

Social-democracy, as in Titan, ends up with corporate capitalism after a short 40-80 year hiatus, as in Australia, New Zealand, Norway, Denmark or Sweden. Or it ends up with GuLags or Goulash socialism as with the social-democratic elements of State Capitalism in the soviet-style societies.

Most people don't know enough about the collapse modes of successful to make them believable with Fabs.

And while fabs magically solve most of the problems, they don't solve small group insularisation, "industry, now without capitalism and with more meetings", or—and with thanks to UKLG—the annares and urras problem of permanent revolution.

You know why Titan is instantiating infugees? Industrial expansion and a permanent war economy. The only way to remove the reliance on the Jovian navy is to build their own. The only way to build such a navy is so fast the Jovians don't notice. (The German Navy Problem)

>> No.37686179

>>37686068
Based on psychosurgical conditioning I'm now psychologically blind to pretzel ads. They tried to deek the adware out of my head, but I stopped being able to walk.

>> No.37686193

>>37686068
You have a muse, yes, and the muse is reasonably smart and specialized for you (and could be an AGI or even another PC). It knows when you don't want to be bothered and won't bother you.

>> No.37686265

>>37686193
And yes, most muses are controlled by backdoors installed by corporations that sell that backdoor to your indenture holder. And yes, attempts to install free, cryptosecured, muses in the innersystem are normally man-in-the-middled by network compromises.

And yes, if we said this outside of this privacy booth, I'd get my indenture cancelled for telling you this, and likely yours too. Pretend we had really mediocre sex when we get out of the booth.

>> No.37686355

>>37686265
Pretend? Brother, I've used your XP tracks. They're labeled "20 seconds of sloppy crunked retard sex: HILARIOUS, I-IX" on @-net. You're a memetic sensation.

>> No.37686418

>>37686193
Specialized? Wouldn't it be something more standardized, like what everyone else uses? It'd be easier to mass produce that way.
>>37686265
Wait, what, indenture contract? Nobody told me about that. Dammit, I've been sleepwalking again.
>Pretend we had really mediocre sex when we get out of the booth.
Umm, okay.

>> No.37686488

>>37686418
>mass production
I'll go get one mass produced at once! In my horse drawn Jalopy! After I finish planting this millet and praying in the Cathedral!

>Umm, okay.

If you blow this cover, I will have been having bad sex for years in order to organise workers resistance. You will have made my erotic sacrifice worth naught. I could have been triple penetrated and being pissed on, but noooo, my cover for using privacy booths is that I'm crap in the sack. "Thanks" comrades, I loved the cover you set me up with when you cast me in.

>> No.37686708

>>37686488
Are you mocking me, little man? Are you really saying that my standards are outdated? They're up to the best of the 20th century standard, I'll have you know.

And I'm disappointed with you thinking Martian beer trivia is acceptable foreplay. What the heck? I bet the purple chimp dancing in my eyeballs has better technique than you.

<Stop me if I'm overegging it. There is a purple chimp in my eyeballs, though, no question.>

>> No.37687015

>>37640383
Shooting a small hole in a jab wall is very unlikely to cause explosive decompression. In most has it would take many hours to even noticeably drop the air pressure. Gas can only escape a hole at or below its speed of sound.

>>37647634
It's possible but not common, thanks to insane public backlash. There's a hab called Free on Neptune's moon Proteus which advertises free good morphs. For 5% of people who go there it's true, for another 15% it kind of is, the other 80% are forced to become synth based task hedonists to serve that 20%.

The Barsoomian Movement is pissed enough they plan on sending a strike team out to fuck Free up, and that's so far beyond their backdoor it's crazy. That's the kind of reaction involuntary psychosurgery elicits, so it's either almost unheard of, or kept very well secret. IIRC the PC tried to do something similar, but the rioting/protest was bad enough that they backed off.

>>37653007
If you don't mind wearing metal than a Flexbot based character can get really crazy fast. Just about the tankiest morph in the game when clustered, with dynamic forking and splitting allowing you to be in 4-5 places at once, with the ability to grow any mobility systems in an hour or two and radically reshape your body on command.

Wearing flesh, just stack speed and stuff like parallel processors with jamming for a 12 actions per round combat monster.

>> No.37687043

>>37686708
Thanks comrade, just stick to that story. Very little is mass produced due to the shipping costs and nano-fabs. Print-on-demand is the nature of the industry for anything physical. Like this fuck-shower privacy booth we're standing in. As far as the chimp goes, if you get it cut out, it'll be years of extra indenture and your employer will be on to you as a deviant. It is cheaper to get a forgetting trauma so you mentally blank it out even though its still in your vision. Problematic if your clients are purple chimps though.

>> No.37688026

>>37668306
with a physical body, you still get almost all the benefits of an infomorph, except for the speed, and have a home server which isn't helpless. Outside of some specific tasks there isn't a lot of need for the physical speed, so there's little reason to make the jump to pure infomorph. That and ego-emulation is one of the few things that really taxes EC computers, so getting good enough hardware to run isn't a great deal cheaper than a case. Emotions are also deadened as an infomorph, which a lot of people also find quite uncomfortable for long periods, they also have their own weird emotions and personal feelings caused by living as data. Infomorphs aren't simulated people, they're simulated minds, and bodyloss is typically pretty hard on infomorphs.

>> No.37688487
File: 72 KB, 549x231, cognite did nothing wrong.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>37686068
>A friend of mine told me that everyone here has a Bonzi Buddy root kitted in their heads. Is this true?
The short answer is yes. A lot of muses are produced by Cognite, a company with a history of practicing comically evil mad science on people's brains

>how do I stop it from distracting me when I'm trying to stay alive?
Turn off your mesh implants. Better yet, run your muse on an ecto instead.

>> No.37688566

>>37688487
>Better yet, run your muse on an ecto instead.
>He doesn't have an entire pocket of throwaway ectos and a fabber at home with ecto blueprints in it

>> No.37688627

>>37688566
Hey, not everyone has infinite credits or rep to burn.

>> No.37688653

>>37683745
Better than most percentile systems, as it reduces the amount of calculation during play.

>> No.37688748

>>37688627
That's like 2 moderate costs/favors, man, it's fucking cheap and keeps you secure. Also teaches your muse to be on its toes if you can and will junk ectos at the first sign of them being compromised.

>> No.37688995

>>37688748
>500 credits
>f***ing cheap

Look, bro, I'm on a 5 credits a month wage, and I had to promise the next six months wages to my best friend to get access to his laggy, profanity-filtered mesh browser and post here. Do you know how close I am to going pos[CHARACTER LIMIT REACHED. EXCESS PRUNED]

>> No.37689954
File: 185 KB, 1024x1050, Exsurgent.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

Sentinels are asleep, post Exsurgents.

>> No.37690497
File: 53 KB, 1201x687, OZMA guns.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>37689954
Sentinels are asleep while the real agents take care of business.

>> No.37690656
File: 1.78 MB, 2000x2200, TPK_Hybrid.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>37689954

>> No.37690753
File: 10 KB, 459x128, 4Ik3ANc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

Quick! Deploy the memetic weapon!

>> No.37690830
File: 1.12 MB, 1280x891, Giger 4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>37690753
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

>> No.37691718
File: 50 KB, 230x759, Actually a 150 year old man with seven wives and two husbands.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>> No.37693709

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbqfWN-9zHE

Pre-Fall Future Soon, Comrades.

>> No.37695446

>>37693709
I'm pretty sure that's going to go as well as other Chinese civil engineering.
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2009-12/30/content_9244857.htm

>> No.37696466
File: 1.10 MB, 2560x1440, XCom.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>37690497
If OZMA is MIB, does that mean Firewall is X-COM?

>> No.37696547

>>37696466
Is X-COM completely decentralized, working by "hiring" people from absolutely everywhere without accounting for unit cohesion besides a common mission assignment? If so, then yes.

>> No.37696596

>>37696466
OZMA is X-Com, Firewall is EXALT

>> No.37696598

>>37696547
>Is X-COM completely decentralized
No
>working by "hiring" people from absolutely everywhere
Yes
>without accounting for unit cohesion besides a common mission assignment
Yes

>> No.37696818

>>37696596
Fiction: MiB: Founded in the mid-1950s. First contact in 1960, consisting of 7 agents, Kevin Brown (later K), and one astronomer.

Reality: Project Ozma: Founded in 1960 by one astronomer.

It's way too close to not be on purpose. OZMA = MiB

>> No.37697866

Has anyone ever run a campaign that featured the Factors heavily?

What's /tg/'s thoughts on them. Are they really telling the truth about a "galactic Council' etc, etc or are they just fucking with Transhumanity?

>> No.37697884
File: 210 KB, 806x937, Elite Replica.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>37696598
X-Com is highly decentralized though.

One base lives, even a shitty little radar bunker in Kansas, and the entire operation keeps running.

>> No.37697924
File: 28 KB, 1129x628, now loog at this delicuious snack.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>37697866
They're scavengers who subsist by jet setting across the galaxy, picking over the leftovers of postsingularity civilizations wiped out by seed AIs and the exsurgent virus. They noticed signs of what looked like another civilization falling to AI hard takeoff on earth, and expected to arrive in a depopulated solar system full of Seed AI leftovers and other goodies to steal. The Egg in orbit around Mercury is their attempt to finish the job, and they discourage transhumanity from using the Gates because they don't want anyone escaping what they're going to do to the Solar System.

>> No.37697930

>>37686057
I dunno man, the book flatly states in the ancoms people have no right to private property, and everything is based on rep, which is by its nature a fickle beast. in those habs when your rep takes a hit you get lynched. I don't see the game fluff as upholding anarcho-anything as the pinnacle of politics. Every where is dystopia, just different flavors, just like today.

>> No.37698023
File: 2.66 MB, 3840x2160, Ah+yes+the+infamous+quot+lesbian+park+quot+we+have+dismissed+such+_b27dff27b818179afd55e9f84169d40d.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>37697866
>Are they really telling the truth about a "galactic Council' etc
Ah yes, "Transhumanity". We have dismissed this claim.

>> No.37698115

>>37697930
Private Property ≠ Personal Property

You can own stuff, but the amount of stuff you can own correlates with general hab prosperity and your rep. You can only personally own noticeable amounts of limited resources if you have the rep to make people think you deserve it.

Here's what the core book has to say:

>AUTONOMIST LIFESTYLE (FREE)
>In (non-Extropian) autonomist strongholds, characters do not need to purchase a lifestyle. Everyone equally enjoys a lifestyle based on the resources available to their habitat, usually roughly equivalent to the Moderate lifestyle described above. Autonomist characters, however, must contribute to the well-being of their community if they want to remain on good terms with their neighbors. This requires the equivalent of a few hours a month helping others or the expenditure of a Moderate favor once a month.

>MODERATE (MODERATE COST)
>Your living conditions are modest and frugal, but far from terrible. Some polities offer this lifestyle as a basic income guarantee to all citizens for free.
>Biomorph: On a habitat, you have a private dwelling, though it is little more than a glorified closet. On Mars, you have a studio apartment, share a small apartment with a roommate, or have a small shack out in the dust. Your budget allows for occasional vehicle rental and eating out once in a while.
>Synthmorph: You have more space available to you than a biomorph of an equivalent lifestyle, as you do not need to budget for food and clothing. You can afford regular maintenance and upkeep.
>Infomorph: You pay for space on a private server and access to some of the best simulspaces available.

>> No.37698198

>>37691718

"man" and "woman" ceases to have any meaning when you deal with people who casually switch sleeves

>> No.37698261

>>37697924
I've had a similar view of them ever since I read the part of the book that described their feeding habits. To quote from memory:
>They enjoy when their prey is alive and wiggling as they digest it

>> No.37698374

>>37698115
Not meaning to be rude, but your quotations from the book are not talking about the rights to private property, privacy, or ownership of things in any way. I'm not seeing any of those book excerpts as supporting your view point.

>> No.37698599

>>37698374
i think what he's saying is, assuming you are not a deadbeat NEET who doesn'r help the community out at all, you're going to be afforded a place to sleep and call 'your own' along with personal belongings.

Also not him, but from my view when the Ancoms say "no private property' they mean 'no intellectual property". Like, If you and I are neighbors, even on an Ancom hab you can't just waltz into my room and nick my fabber or something, because if you do I'll get angry and your rep's gonna take a hit for being a fuckwad. "personal property' still exists on anarch habs in the sense open theft and dickery isn't tolerated. Now, If I came across a nice set of fabber prints for air recycling systems or even just a better coffee maker, I'm expected (you could say 'required') to share those prints with you and the rest of the hab.

That's what my take on ancom habs is. You are, of course, free to disagree.

>> No.37700422

>>37698599
Please look up the difference between private and personal property.

>> No.37700728
File: 679 KB, 950x1221, Sylph w Cycle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

What's your ride like, /epg/?

>> No.37700875

>>37700728
>tfw tin can hab

>> No.37701840

>>37700728
Go Cycles = God Cycles

>> No.37702937
File: 844 KB, 1200x849, Cycle Gang.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>37700728

>> No.37703779
File: 1.04 MB, 1226x794, finallygotmyhovercar.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>37702937

>> No.37704266

>>37698599
That is a fair reading. I hadn't even thought about IP since it seemed a given that anarchos wouldn't have IP. I imagine that even the Extropians don't have heavy IP the way we do now.
I always thought of it as communal ownership of everything. So like, if I were to show up on some anarchist hab with an Earth relic, that relic would become the property of everyone (or the property of the highest rep guy on the hab if they are pulling a Stalin), but I imagine all these variations are out there in the outer system.

>> No.37704533

>>37704266

>I imagine that even the Extropians don't have heavy IP the way we do now.

I believe they have some previsions for blatantly stealing someone's work and selling it as your own, but generally they consider any alteration, use in concert with something else (so if your music appears in someone's XP) or remix to be a new thing, and they don't hold with any kind of DRM or licensing for things like Blueprints. You buy it, you buy it. If you make it your own, it's your own, generally.

>> No.37704623

>>37704533
>I always thought of it as communal ownership of everything.

Some habs, especially who like to emphasis "communist" over say "collectivist" probably operate like that, but in general, what's owned by the community is the hab itself (and all it's infrastructural components) and the resources. If you want to utilize community resources you need to have enough rep to be able to call on the community or it's members to share with you (and get a good slot in the fab queue).

So typically, its not like someone can just pop into your space-closet, grab your plasma rifle and go off with it. He'd lose rep for taking something you put the time, effort and social networking into making. But if he pokes his head in and says "hey bro, can I borrow your plasma rifle?" and he has a good reason for it, you'd lose rep to not share or even gift it unless you, like really need your Plasma Rifle right then.

With an Earth Relic, well, that depends on how realpolitik your hypothetical anarchists are (Which, actually, not a lot of them seem that way inclined). If they're sticking to their guns, they have no use for money, and aren't likely running a lot of systemic trade in real Earth Goods, so their community has no reason to claim ownership of the relic, especially if you're carrying it around on your person. Somebody might as to look at it, or borrow it or study it and be bothered if you don't share, but otherwise, it's your piece of space junk. They have little need or desire as a community to own your object. But, if they're a little bit shady, they might see an opportunity to use your item to benefit their community. In that case, it's probably a station-wide vote to seize the item for the good of the community (or something like that), and if it passes some armed gentlemen will be seizing your item and then the hab will do whatever it was with it.

>> No.37704656

>>37704266
Except that fabs, being tools of social production, are social over a certain feed rate / size.

>> No.37705273

>>37704533
I think things like remixes would be credited both to the remixer and the original artist, since rep isn't a scarce resource like money is, so you can afford to do things like that.
It isn't so much that anarchists don't have IP as that the structure of the rep economy means the most 'money'-making thing you can do with your IP is distribute it as freely as possible. I think.

>> No.37705349

>>37705273
Shakespeare doesn't get rep and he's still freely distributed. Think harder, Lenny.

>> No.37705364

>>37705349
He's dead, Jim.

>> No.37705417

>>37705364
Rep is all about "what have you done for me lately?" And it doesn't correlate well to distribution.

>> No.37705420

>>37705349
Actually, someone a bunch of @-rep accounts for various historical figures as a way of tracking anarchist opinions on them. Shakespeare's got, like, a million rep.

>> No.37705452

>>37705420
Interesting story, friend, for I have been revived as a simulacrum of myself from my texts and analysis. And I say we turn the fabs to war and liberate Jove.

>> No.37705481

>>37705273
>since rep isn't a scarce resource like money is
Wouldn't this completely fuck over any sort of economy? If everyone and their brother has a million rep, then it's completely worthless. It's why just printing out more money and making it limitless is a bad thing.

>> No.37705534

>>37705481
>fab products aren't a scarce resource like money is

Wouldn't this completely fuck over any sort of economy?

Yes. Yes it would. Welcome to post-capitalism. What have you done for us lately?

>> No.37705626

>>37705534
Just seems to be a terrible way to distribute things, especially out in the edge of the solar system where energy and resources are more scarce. There may be a shitload of, say, iron, but most of it is REALLY hard to get to. A bunch of matter is trapped at the bottom of gas giant gravity wells. Most gases are just inert helium. Any sunlight making it that far out is going to be very weak and difficult to draw much power from. You could use nuclear plants, but then you need fissile materials that are EVEN MORE scarce and hard to get to.

In any society out there, there's going to be plenty of scarcity on energy and resources, and then an economic system we would recognize would naturally develop in some way. You can't just use limitless, non-scarce rep to distribute scarce resources, because then they'd quickly become meaningless strings of numbers on a screen.

Am I just missing something here?

>> No.37705631

>>37705452
Fuckin' a

>> No.37705697

>>37705626
Not really, it's just that it's only been going for about 5 years and these systems take some time to implode.

>> No.37705726

>>37705626
>Am I just missing something here?
Rep naturally decays and devalues if you're not keeping up with the Jonses. If you did something freaking awesome five years ago, you can't coast on that, they want you to keep being more awesome than the local average or you start getting shunted to the back of the queues.

>> No.37705733

>>37705626
Nanomining, source bricks, psychosurgical stakhanovism, voluntary alphafork mining colonies, we all live in cans, we all eat disciplinary medibrick, and we're fabbing for war.

>> No.37705786

>>37705733
>stakhanovism
So you completely falsify numbers in order to make your economy look more awesome than it actually is?

>> No.37705792

>>37705726
That makes more sense, but it still sounds like something that could easily be gamed, even outside of counterfeiting. Have you and a ring of 20 other guys endless giving each other rep in one big circlejerk until you're all "millionaires"

>>37705733
Nanomachines would be useless in the winds of a gas giants or exposed to the UV radiation out in space.

>> No.37705794

>>37705273

We're specifically talking about Extropian IP here, where they do use money. So while for proper legal terms, credit is properly given, unless there's some kind of contract worked out beforehand, any money made of the remixed product is that of the remixer, because they've made a new iteration on their own. I think a good analogy for how the Extropians are supposed to handle it is like if you pay a guy to make you a cast-iron poker, but if you also paid the guy who mined the iron that goes into the poker.

For the Ancoms and even Scum, I presume it's similar, but not quite the same. If a remix or alteration gets popular and brings rep (and the content producer isn't a knob-head who doesn't give credit to his sources) then that might turn people back onto the older original work, and generate more rep.

>> No.37705836

>>37705626
Probably a legion of complex AIs counting and weighing the rep. It's not just about the bare number of facebook likes you get - it also counts who gives them to you and for what.
Or that's how I try to rationalize it.

OR
The Fall was 10 years ago. 10. Measly. Years.
The rep system, IndEx, Extropia, ScumSwarms, and everything else might be working right now but who's to say what's going to be left after another 10, 20 years?
Scum go (more) to shit and turn regular pirates or die off?
Anarchists become communist states we all know and 'love' from history?
PC puts on a human face? Or does it become a full-on dystopia with 0.1%-ers ruling as feudal lords over the indentured masses?
Will the Factors eat us all?

>> No.37705837

>>37705792
>Have you and a ring of 20 other guys endless giving each other rep in one big circlejerk until you're all "millionaires"
Rep farming and circlejerking are massively stigmatized and subject to mass dinging and a shitstorm of bad reviews and shunning to make your rep dive even harder. Also, once a pattern of pings/dings is established, each ping/ding conforming to that pattern is devalued by some algorithm, so your best friend dinging you is taken more seriously than Newman dinging you, and if Newman pings you, the system sits up and takes notice.

>> No.37705887

>>37705837
It's absolutely amazing what political systems you can make work if you cut actual people out of as much of it as possible in favor of AI, isn't it?

>> No.37705893

>>37705792

>Have you and a ring of 20 other guys endless giving each other rep in one big circlejerk until you're all "millionaires"

The systems which handle normal rep interaction give diminishing returns to repeated efforts. You can only boost yourself so far before the social networks start offering only fractional increases. But it's possible in the short term, which is why there is rep scamming. God help you if it comes out though (keeping in mind how transparent rep economy societies usually are) that's asking for a Blacklisting.

Personally, I think you're looking at it a bit wrong. Rep is not a conventional "currency". You don't spend it to get stuff. If you have a high rep, your word carries more weight when you ask for favors and stuff than some guy who doesn't have as much rep. And if things get bad and you need to get pushy or needy, your rep can burn more while still staying at a nominal level. And the rep score is finite, even if the 00-99 system in the game may not be literal.

Also, Rep economies are usually in communist or collectivist habs, so it's not like they "charge" you for your basic services and needs, other than that you must contribute a few hours a month to the hab in order to keep everything from crashing, re: >>37698115

>> No.37705900

>>37705837
Yes but how is circlejerking detected? If it's just you getting rep from a small number people that raises flags, then yo just increase the size of your "cartel" until it slips by unnoticed. It also fucks over people who do "legitimate" work for only one or a few people, and so only get their rep from them.

>> No.37705910

>>37705900
>It also fucks over people who do "legitimate" work for only one or a few people, and so only get their rep from them.
That's a feature, not a bug. Lrn2network, zero.

>> No.37705924
File: 38 KB, 500x298, newman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>37705837
Newman might be a bad example. They would have spaced him years ago if they didn't need him to keep the hab running.

>> No.37705938

>>37705924

Note to self, if I write any adventures in an Anarchist hab, include a crazy jerkwad guy who is the Mesh Infrastructure technician.

>> No.37705957

>>37705938
So...Space Wally?

>> No.37706002

>>37705893
>You can only boost yourself so far
It isn't about boosting yourself, just boosting other people who in return boost you, forming a simple cartel.

>your word carries more weight when you ask for favors and stuff
Perhaps in some instances, but if you're one of the people in charge of, say, the magic nanomachines everyone relies on to survive in the ship, why should you share shit with someone just because of their rep? And if that makes you unpopular with others, what are they gonna do about it when you're a vital part of the station they need?

This also makes me think of another problem. You're basically making every station a self-censoring hivemind of sorts. Any "bad" actions will be punished, but so will any sort of controversial or simply unpopular actions. If you go to a station where some historical figure is really unpopular and say "hey maybe he wasn't such a bad guy", suddenly everyone hates you and you have no rep.

>>37705910
Why would that be a feature. "hey we have a long history of doing business together and I know I can trust you to not fuck me over, but I have to do business with someone else instead just because."

>> No.37706028

>>37706002
>This also makes me think of another problem. You're basically making every station a self-censoring hivemind of sorts. Any "bad" actions will be punished, but so will any sort of controversial or simply unpopular actions. If you go to a station where some historical figure is really unpopular and say "hey maybe he wasn't such a bad guy", suddenly everyone hates you and you have no rep.
That's a well-known bug of the rep system, actually, the way it encourages groupthink. No one's yet solved it.
>Why would that be a feature.
To encourage people to spread the love, get to know the hab, and generally be good neighbors instead of splintering off into isolated cliques.

>> No.37706063

>>37706028
>To encourage people to spread the love,
But what if that's the only worthwile person to do business with on a station full of thieving assholes. I'm being punished for nothing then.

>> No.37706077

>>37706063
Then why are you on that station instead of taking your ass to someplace you like better?

>> No.37706095

>>37706002
>You're basically making every station a self-censoring hivemind of sorts.
Pretty much, yeah

Dev answer to that would likely be: 'No, you don't understand, the Anarchists are pure hearted individuals who can do no wrong'

Also refer to >>37705697 and >>37705836 - give it time and it WILL collapse on itself

>> No.37706103

>>37706077
Because things are really really spread apart out there. The same reason you could end up stuck in a hick town in the middle of nowhere for a while.

>> No.37706107

>>37705836
>Will the Factors eat us all?
Not if we eat them first.

>> No.37706129

>>37706002

>but if you're one of the people in charge of, say, the magic nanomachines everyone relies on to survive in the ship, why should you share shit with someone just because of their rep?

Well, typically, the fabricators are owned by the hab, and as far as can be told, they are basically queued up at all times and hours. If you need to get ahead in the queue, you have to ask for a favor to get the fab time. Since this is a reputation economy, someone working on some personal project who doesn't need to get it done right this second can do you a solid and let you get in line ahead. It's like asking to get ahead in line at the convenience store or the amusement park, but you can see how solid a guy your community thinks the person asking is. Whatever your doing is non-essential, because if it was essential, it'd be something the entire community or the collective assembled in that community dedicated to a task was doing, not just one guy.

>And if that makes you unpopular with others, what are they gonna do about it when you're a vital part of the station they need?

Well, if you're vital, you probably get rep for doing what you do, so it balanced out your unpleasantness. But never assume you're that vital, Ancoms aren't above going armed and somebody attempting to control the means of production like the public fabs is a short trip to "angry armed revoultion" town.

>This also makes me think of another problem. You're basically making every station a self-censoring hivemind of sorts. Any "bad" actions will be punished, but so will any sort of controversial or simply unpopular actions. If you go to a station where some historical figure is really unpopular and say "hey maybe he wasn't such a bad guy", suddenly everyone hates you and you have no rep.

Welcome to why /epg/ doesn't trust or like Ancoms 101.

>> No.37706130

>>37706077
Sooner or later, every communist society builds a big wall to keep people in. Best run while you still have the option.

>> No.37706159

>>37706129
>>37706130
>>37706002

Technically, regular mesh syncing (including of the Circle-A List network, which all the Autonomists are using) helps combat too much echo chambering, but you can only do so much with lightspeed lag.

Of course, attempting to control the source of information in the Mesh Nodes and the Farcasting Rig is also a short trip to "angry armed populace" town.

>> No.37706240

>>37706159
The People control the Mesh, Comrade. We merely exercise their wishes.

>> No.37706334

>>37706159
But what if it's the angry armed populace keeping you there? Say, if you're the Mesh Engineer or Fission Technician, and you've decided your skills would be put to better use somewhere that isn't an lunatic-filled tin can, but when you go to the farcaster there's a couple of people with guns who explain that, due to your vital position in keeping the station going, you have been declared part of the means of production and thus are owned by the People?

>> No.37706362

>>37706334
Then you pull a Tibetan monk and set yourself on fire, and/or space yourself in the general direction of a hab. Works better if you're a synth.

>> No.37706422

>>37706362
Gotta admit, I'm not really a fan of social strategies that end with "and then you set yourself on fire".

>> No.37706452

>>37706129
>a short trip to "angry armed revoultion" town.
And depending o how important you are, kill themselves in the process.

>> No.37706477

>>37706334

Possible, but that sounds like they're fucking with your Autonomy. And if they do that kind of thing, the entire Autonomist Alliance will start hitting them with sanctions, and there are activists who aren't afraid to fucking roll up and liberate your ass. If they need a Reactor Tech that bad, they can put out an open call on the mesh and offer favors and rep to get them in.

Remember, everybody has open brain internet, your social network doesn't end at your hab, and getting new people in is just F2P a brain in or out.

>> No.37706493

>>37706362
I suppose, depending on what exactly it is that you do, 'kill them all via sabotage, then hitch a ride with whoever comes to loot the place' would be a valid strategy.
>>37706477
Being that group of activists would probably make for a good non-Firewall campaign or session.

>> No.37706507

>>37706493

Anarchist Troubleshooters.

It's like being shadow-runners, only instead of getting paid you do it because of moral superiority.

>> No.37706515

>>37706452
The moral of the story is never get too good at your job.

>> No.37706525

>>37639707
Let me get this straight: Are those supposed to be pince-nezes, but not so much pincing? What are they? Glued on or something?

>> No.37706562

>>37706525

Smart Materials, anon.

>> No.37706563

>>37706525
>What are they? Glued on or something?
They might be fitted onto a pair of pegs installed inside her nose.

>> No.37706565

>>37706525
Looks like what some people have now where a magnetic bit is drilled into your nose for the lenses to clip on to

>> No.37706631

>>37706563
>>37706565
>>37706525

cosmetic Subdermal Implants are [Trivial]

>> No.37706652

>>37705626
Fusion is cheap near any gas giant, as HE3 and hydrogen aren't exactly rare.

>> No.37706672

>>37705957
I heard they once replaced his muse with a seed AI to try and motivate him.

It shut itself down after 11 minutes.

>> No.37706673

>>37706652
The problem is usually harvesting it. See: Neptune and its pain-in-the-ass winds. Unless that was Uranus.

>> No.37706680

>>37706652
You'd still need a ton of heavier elements to build the reactor to begin with, it isn't entirely about fuel source.

>> No.37706705

>>37706673
All the gas giants have extreme winds, temperatures, and lightning systems that are going to make mining difficult. Also, said winds makes your magic nanomachines useless, so can't use those either.

>> No.37706764

>>37706705
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQAvMUUJr4

>> No.37706798

>>37706705

No, we use DRONES for mining son.

Space Jesus, get your head in the Space Game.

>> No.37706887

>>37706798
You'll need to constantly replace them as they're fried from all the electricity everywhere, and you'll need lots more heavy elements to rebuilt them since any malfunction means they drop like a rock down the gravity well, impossible to reclaim

>> No.37706923

>>37706525
They might have gecko-like sticky pads. Or maybe she's a masked synth and they're held on with magnets.
>>37706507
"Your mission, should you chose to accept it, is to investigate the status of Grade 4 Zero-G Fission Reactor Technician Victor Zhukov, on board the tin can hab Slavoj's Folly III."
"Why is it-"
"The first one got swissed by shrapnel due to careless use of nuclear mining explosives, and the second got a grey goo infection in the environmental system."
"Auspicious."
"Yes. We have reason to believe that Zhukov is being held against his will. Our suspicions were first aroused when an automated tanker hauling hydrocarbons from Titan detected an narrowcast distress signal; signal quality was very low, indicating the transmitter was probably cobbled together without access to a proper fabber. Further investigation revealed that all of Zhukov's social media presence and communications since about six months ago were probably fabricated using an advanced markov chainer programmed off of his prior postings, certainty about 80%. We believe that his philosophical disputes with the rest of the station finally drove him to leave, and- not being confident of their ability to attract another technician of his caliber to such a lunitic-filled hole in space- they abducted him."
"Your mission, therefore, if you choose to accept it, is to achieve direct contact with Zhukov, determine if he is being held against his will, and, if so, to rescue him. If you do have to rescue him, unlimited collateral damage to the rest of the station and its inhabitants is not only authorized, but encouraged.
More detailed information on Slavoj's Folly III and other nearby assets will be available upon acceptance. Godspeed."

>> No.37707065

>>37706507
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire The A-Team.

>> No.37707224

>>37640603
Get seekers.

Or, you know.
fire discarding sabot putty rounds.

>> No.37708634

>>37706887

>AEROSTAT
>These balloon platforms are used on planets or moons with atmospheres. They rely on buoyant gases for lift, but are propelled with turbofans.
>Mining aerostats are deployed on the gas giant planets, loaded with equipment to extract specific volatiles from the atmosphere, which are then stored in pressurized tanks. These tanks are either picked up periodically or equipped with a rocket to launch into orbit for collection when full. [High]
>Enhancements: Access Jacks, Chem Sniffer, Gas Collection Gear, Laser Link, Storage Tanks
>BOT PASSENGER CAPACITY HANDLING MOVEMENT RATE MAX VELOCITY ARMOR DURABILITY WOUND THRESHOLD DEATH RATING MOBILITY SYSTEM
>Aerostat 0–4 −0 4/20 100 — 20 5 40 Microlight

>> No.37708911

>>37708634
Those balloons are going to have short lifespans before they have to be replaced from the extreme weather, and if you don't catch them in time your whole rig falls down to the storm.

>> No.37709013

>>37708911
This is the one thing you're sperging about in the entire setting? Gas giant mining?

>> No.37709036

>>37709013
No I'm just pointing out how overall there's going to be plenty of scarcity out there, them being post-scarcity anarcho-hubs won't work in the long term, especially if they're using rep

>> No.37709195

>>37709036
Nah. It's like the one resource they can export. Let them have it. They're still completely fucked for heavy metals. 50 years is a hugely generous estimate for their collapse. They're of little consequence i

>> No.37709745

>>37709669

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action