Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

/vt/ is now archived.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 68 KB, 600x927, Paladin dreams.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
35514415 No.35514415 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

As the title says. Let's get this rolling. Dump:

1. paladin art
2. quotes
3. in-game stories
4. real life paladin stories
5. builds in your respective games
6. places, people and characters you look to for inspiration for a paladin.

I too shall commence a dump.

>> No.35514421
File: 157 KB, 1280x800, Hero Creed.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35514415

>> No.35514438
File: 1.92 MB, 1988x3056, The Struggle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35514421

>> No.35514494
File: 177 KB, 659x1008, paladin 6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35514438

>> No.35514547

>>35514494
"I shall stand vigilant against the Dark, for They should not terrorize those who need the Light."

>> No.35514571
File: 165 KB, 510x850, paladin 12.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35514547
Ooops, forgot the pic I wanted to post with that

>> No.35514713

>>35514415

>Running a Paladin that doesn't act like Michael Carpenter

Might as well roll a Fighter.

>> No.35515018
File: 304 KB, 724x1024, 1390761496257.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35514415

>Invited to Pathfinder game by GM who I just met at College, they've already had a few sessions but I think they goofed around and didn't do much with the story.

>Have one on one session to make my PC and learn to play.

>Make 16 year old half-elf paladin based on Jeanne d'Arc because she's an awesome example of a female paladin. Her name is Aliriel.

>I run into a fight between some angels and demons. I kill an imp with a dead angel's sword and receive receive instructions from an angel to be good and always be on the side of justice. A good start I think.

>GM thinks its a good idea for PCs to have a weakness or flaw. So I decide that since Aliriel is a petite teenager her sword should be a one-handed type, but she has to use two hands to hold it.

>Start going to real sessions Saturday nights. There are four other players.

>They all seem nice except for one maybe who is kind of fat and has BO. But I wasn't going to judge right away.

cont'd

>> No.35515039

>>35515018

>Their PCs are a dwarf wizard, human fighter, human rogue, and human bard.

>GM thinks I should meet them in a tavern. But Aliriel would never go into a place that sells alcohol. So I run into them on their way out of the village instead.

>I say they look like adventurers going off to serve justice and I happen to be a newly appointed paladin looking for such a group.

>Fighter laughs and says females can't fight He calls Aliriel "little girl" and "silly girl" for rest of the game, this is the fat player. I draw my sword and tell him to put his words the test.

>Everyone laughs, the bard ignores my drawn sword and tossles my hair, and they decide I can join because I "have spunk".

>They're on their way to a bandits hideout that they heard villagers complaining about in the tavern.

>Surprise bandits, take leader captive, no problems. I want to take the prisoner to the nearest town that has a judge so he can stand trial.

>Group votes me down and hands him over to angry villagers. He's hung without a real trial. Just shouted accusations.

cont'd

>> No.35515060

>>35515039

>While group celebrates at tavern and asks about more work I go pray and do penance for getting the bandit killed.

>Later we go to a larger town because we hear there's work for adventurers and mercenaries. We find it besieged by orcs.

>Sneak into town through drainage pipe. Find out Orcs are mad because townspeople stole their pigs. Townspeople deny it.

>There's to many orcs to fight ourselves. I don't know why GM did that. Wizard thinks that along with town guard and townspeople we might beat the orcs in a battle.

>I think we can negotiate, maybe get town to pay for half of the missing pigs or something.

>Party laughs at my idea of negotiating with savage orcs and decide to fight the next day after the rogue MURDERS the orc leader during the night.

>While they do this I decide to pray and do penance for not being able to stop the evil deed.

>Party thought orcs would run without their leader but orcs get mad instead. Looks like we're in trouble.

cont'd

>> No.35515087

>>35515060

>Fighter rolls very well and decapitates orc leader's son in single combat. The orcs withdraw.

>It worked out, but party is mad at me for not being there for the fight.

>Governor pays well for our work, but I refuse to take money for murder.

>He tells us that he will pay more if we stick around and do more work for him.

>He collects ancient artifacts and wants us to take an idol from a lizardfolk temple in a nearby swamp.

>I don't like the idea of stealing, but everyone insists lizardfolk are evil, always ambushing human travellers and such. So this isn't all that bad.

>I still don't like it but I tag along.

>We fail at stealth and barely escape with our lives and the idol. The wizard saved us big time. Fighter carries me and the bard out one in each arm because of bad injuries while rogue gets the idol and wizard holds off lizardfolk.

cont'd

>> No.35515088

>>35515060
A sane person among murderhobos.

>> No.35515123

>>35515087

>After we get healed up we give the idol to the governor.

>The lizardfolk were of neutral alignments not evil and I hate stealing so I pray and do penance while the rest of the party gets paid again.

>GM informs me that if I keep praying through the night instead of sleeping, fasting, and cutting holy symbols in my skin then he is going to start giving me penalties to my stats. I guess this is fair.

>In following sessions we investigate the disappearance of some children and end up on the tail of an evil cult.

>Turns out the governor is the BBEG. His cultists stole the orc's pigs, kidnapped the children, and had us steal the idol for a ritual to open a gate to Hell.

>The lizardfolk had been trying to protect the idol from evil people like him.

>I'm distraught and spend a lot of time praying and doing penance while the party questions townspeople, finds cultists, and gathers info on the BBEG's plans and location from them.

>They're once again annoyed that I'm not helping them.

cont'd

>> No.35515144

>>35515123

>Party RPs questioning townspeople about cult then tracking down, fighting, and questioning cultists.

>Then I RP a scene(first time RPing a solo scene since my first session).

>A beautiful girl who is playing a lute in the forest approaches and asks me what's wrong.

>Very upset and glad to have someone to talk to, I spill out the whole story and how I'm conflicted and don't know what to do.

>My Detect Evil does not show her being evil. I fail Will saves against Detect Thoughts and a little later against Suggestion. I rolled very poorly in almost every interaction I had with this NPC both during this scene and later encounters. Having above mentioned stat penalties didn't help either.

>She says that part of justice is punishment and that it was my party's actions that allowed the governor to go through with his plan. His success is our just punishment for murdering and stealing for gold. Therefore, if they won't change their ways, Iomedae would approve of me doing what I was already considering and leaving my evil party to continue in their folly.

>I haven't mentioned yet in my story that Aliriel is a closet lesbian but I had told the GM during our first session and it was on my sheet. Aliriel keeps it secret because she fears that the Gods would frown upon it.

>But after failing more rolls I can't resist and am seduced by the woman I met while praying in the woods. The last part of that scene is not RPed. I wasn't sure how to feel about that happening to Aliriel but I went along with it.

cont'd

>> No.35515172

>>35515144

>Later I meet my party again and they say we need to stop the BBEG from completing the next part of the ritual and that they know where it will occur. The bard lets slip that they beat the info out of a cultist.

>NOPE. That was the last straw. I'm not having anything to do with this evil behavior, I swore an oath to an angel, I'm leaving.

>They say I helped cause this mess as much as they did and its my duty as a paladin to help stop him. I explode in a rant about justice and punishment and how we brought this upon ourselves with our evil acts and how even a whole lifetime spent in a temple serving the Gods would not be enough to recover from the evil I unintentionally participated in.

>Other players get kind of mad OOC, saying that I need to stop being so overly dramatic and that stealing the idol was just part of the story. Without a BBEG and evil plot the game wouldn't be fun. I should just join the party in hunting down the obviously evil governor/wizard.

>I tell them that the GM explained to me in the begining the difference between roleplay and rollplay. I'm just RPing how my PC would act in the situation and thats what really drives the story, not just fighting bad guys simply because they're labled as bad.

>Fat smelly player says I should stop trying to draw attention to myself all the time.

>GM tells everyone to settle down and we eventually get back to playing.

>I leave the party and expect the GM to tell me to roll another character even though I really liked Aliriel.

cont'd

>> No.35515211

>>35515172

last section

>Instead I run into the woman from the forest again and she reveals herself to be a sucubus working for the BBEG and mocks me for abandoning my party when they need me most and helping unleash an army of demons on the world.

>My detect evil didn't work on her earlier because she had some spell called Misdirection that made me detect the alignment of a nearby tree instead of her.

>I try to smite her, but my rolls are terrible. She grapples me, kisses me, drains my energy, and flies off laughing.

>I'm horrified that I fell for a demon's tricks and disgusted that my very first act of passion was with a vile demon of the pit.

>I run to catch up with my party as fast as I can and beg for them to forgive me and take me back. They know they need every sword they can get and grudgingly accept.

>Afterward the GM says that he hopes the experience with the sucubus will get Aliriel to stay with the party more. It's dangerous for her to wander off alone and it makes things harder for the rest of the party.

>I don't see how Aliriel could make it through her experiences so far without being seriously traumatized but I don't know how that should manifest itself yet. I'm also still hoping for angry orcs or lizardfolk to show up looking for revenge. I think that might teach the rest of the party not to murder tribal leaders in cold blood or steal from temples.

>> No.35515269

>>35514713

My nigga right here.

>> No.35515293

>>35515211
Not even a happy ending, damn. Best case scenario is that the group learns how to play a dynamic character that isn't just murderhobo adventurer #3664

>> No.35515318 [DELETED] 

>>35515088

Last time I posted it, about half of the thread thought that and about half thought I was the terrible one.

That was awhile ago, so the last sentence actually isn't relevant anymore (I saw I still have it save in an old Notepad file). The game didn't last long after so I never got to find out if the GM was going to punish the party for helping evil at every turn.

>> No.35515332

>>35514415
>6. places, people and characters you look to for inspiration for a paladin.
Sir Sparhawk. Every day.

Sometimes I'm a little more Kalten, though.

>> No.35515352
File: 45 KB, 288x402, knights of the cross.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35515269

Indeed. Probably the best paladin archetype out there.

>> No.35515413

>>35515088
>>35515293

Last time I posted it, about half of the thread thought that and about half thought I was the terrible one.

That was awhile ago, so the last sentence actually isn't relevant anymore (I saw I still have it save in an old Notepad file). The game didn't last long after so I never got to find out if the GM was going to punish the party for helping evil at every turn.

>> No.35515469
File: 115 KB, 1280x1024, paladin 16.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35514571
"When you ride upon their ranks, fear not their blades! For the love of your god will envelop you."

>> No.35515755
File: 198 KB, 546x500, 1388792987355.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35515352

People just don't get the idea of being a decent human being as a superpower. That the horrors, the terrors, the darkness of the world just can't touch love, kindness, mercy, and faith. They cry "but what about these people who have that and still get tortured", and they don't understand that that's the point of faith - you test it, and test it, and test it again.

Faith is like a sword: it gets tempered over and over until it's hard and sharp and ready to be used against the things that need to taste its blade.

Sometimes it wavers. Sometimes the darkness threatens to overwhelm it. But faith is the knowledge that no matter how dark the night, tomorrow will always come.

Pic super related.

>> No.35515849

>>35515018
>>35515039
>>35515060
>>35515087
>>35515123
>>35515144
>>35515172
>>35515211
This is a great story of a paladin. Thank you for contributing.

>> No.35515986

>>35515413
To be fair the ending bit about the trauma is something that would be greatly debated at my table.
We have some guys thinking it would be big trauma/drama of course.
Others (myself included) are more a fan of it manifesting in a subtle way if at all. After all, Paladins are totally immune to fear, and by extension one could believe that they don't understand fear as a concept. For them to be traumatized would be for them to fear an event repeating.

>> No.35516148
File: 550 KB, 1276x724, paladin 20.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35515469
Back from another small break.

“I chose a hammer for two reasons, my boy. First, to be a leader, sometimes you must destroy and sometimes you must build. And second, because it is the gavel. It’s a constant reminder that we must pursue justice.”

>> No.35516206
File: 383 KB, 1600x1200, paladin 22.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35516148
"There is but one sin: theft. When you kill a man, you steal his life. When you raise dead, you steal from the dead their rest. The dead pass into the realm of their gods. To bring them back is theft. I will not abide The Sin.

>> No.35516300
File: 296 KB, 543x800, 1346604755738.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

"A man once told me that things were hopeless. He wept to me of famine, of plague, of ill works called down by basest villains. I told him that hopelessness is a disease - it seeps into a man and rots him from the inside out, turning him into a mere shell of his former self. Hopelessness is the truest enemy, for so long as hope exists in even one heart, as long as that dream of a brighter future burns in even one soul, evil can never win."

>> No.35516359
File: 98 KB, 800x1200, Paladin and Grumpfu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

From the Noblebright thread last night.

>> No.35517461

None of that, 'Oh well if you're truly sorry, there's nothing I can do," horseshit. No, he coup de graces your ass because he's a goddamn Paladin. His job is killing evil. You know what his job doesn't entail? Being a sympathetic ear for every whiny NE or CN or LE douchebag who's only being evil because the world is unfair to him or every punk that lets his own dislikes or laziness overcome his own personality. You know what unfair is? Being able to know what kind of person everyone is before you even talk to them. Smelling evil so potent on a motherfucker that you want to sink your fingers in his chest and pull that tar out until the screaming stops. Having the psychotic urge to murder people that you've never even met, for the sole reason that your God decided that you ought to be his right hand without your choice in the matter, that's unfair.
But unlike Evil McBlacknails over there, that Paladin puts on his helmet, sharpens his sword, and then continues walking through crowds of people day by day, resisting the urge. Seeing evidence of injustice so black it makes him sick. Seeing murderers and rapists walk the street, watching good men hang as evil ones pull the lever. Saving his righteous violence for when the situation exactly, specifically, precisely calls for it. Surgically removing that which is most evil. Because he's a Paladin. And if he gave in to the urge, what would he be? Who will right the true wrongs if not he?
It's not about not falling as a Paladin. It's about falling so fucking hard you crash through the planet and stand up on the other side.

>> No.35517491

A knight is sworn to valor.
His heart knows only virtue.
His blade defends the helpless.
His might upholds the weak.
His word speaks only truth.
His wrath undoes the wicked.

>> No.35517508

The only true test of courage is the last one.
---
A knight's only act of bravery is when he takes that oath. Everything else afterwards is in the line of duty.
---
A paladin should not forget, nor fail to reward that which is given: fealty with love, valour with honour, oath-breaking with vengeance.

>> No.35517567

>>35514547
This is stilted as fuck

>>35515211
>>35515172
>>35515144
>>35515123
>>35515087
>>35515060
>>35515039
>>35515018
You're that guy

>> No.35517590
File: 39 KB, 432x288, thankyouforyourwellthoughtoutandmeaningfulpost.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35517567

>> No.35517645

>>35517461
For all this paragraph continually gets deepthroated by fa/tg/uys, I've never understood it.

WHY DOES HE RESIST THE URGE? WHY ARE SOME CERTAIN SPECIFIC ACTS OF EVIL WORTHY OF BEING PUNISHED BY HIM, AND OTHERS AREN'T?

>> No.35517729

>>35517645
Because if you just go around hooking everyone who pings evil in the gabber, you're not really accomplishing much in the grand scheme of things. He's saying to go for the greatest impact in a single motion. When a paladin moves to action, it's a big deal.

>> No.35517747

>>35517645
I also didn't get it, and came up with a different solution.

The paladin in the paragraph is a high level one. Leave the murderers, rapists, and other scum to the noobs, he's got bigger demonic fish to fry.

Otherwise you'd get level 20 UberSmitesMcGee going into towns and genociding the entire evil population.

I guess it's all about balance.

>> No.35517748

>>35517645
Because it's actually really, really rare that you can solve a problem by applying violence to it. Usually that actually makes things worse. Vicious cycles are CYCLES for a reason: a lot of the time, just killing the fucker means the characters change names but the drama plays on unabated.

That's why you save your divine wrath for those rare, special moments when you find yourself confronted by the disease itself and not its mere symptoms. You wait for those moments of divine providence when your unleashed wrath will be a cleansing fire and not an out-of-control blaze that burns the innocent as well as the guilty. It can be hard, holding out for those alignments of fate when Smiting Evil means evil is struck down and does not rise again, but it's important to know to do so.

Society cannot be always at war with itself. If the good roam the streets murdering the evil where they stand you don't have a civilization, you have anarchy, the war of all-against-all, and what good does this promote? You must be DISCRIMINATE in your crusade; a marksman, not a carpet bomber.

>> No.35517853

>>35515352
old 'un but a good 'un:
>Do not injustice to another
>Defend the weak and innocent
>Let truth and honor always guide you
>Let courage find a life within
>Stand up when no-one else is willing
>Act not in hatred or in spite
>Be to this world as a perfect knight
>Even if it means your life

>> No.35517901

1. Don't be a dick.

2. Obey your God's rules so long as they don't conflict with the first rule (if they do, you need a new God).

3. Respect any non-Evil authority, so long as this does not conflict with the first or second rule.

4. Strive to help all people, wherever doing so does not conflict with the first, second, or third rule.

>> No.35517930

>>35514713
>implying Kal doesn't run a paladin at the league's weekly D&D game
>implying BatDM doesn't constantly try and fail to make him fall

>> No.35517953
File: 213 KB, 336x703, 1412102689658.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

Strength exists for the weak. Lift up the meek, for they are your lords.
Let no injustice stand. Raise your fist against mortal man and god alike.
Turn your gaze from gold and feast. Your word is your greatest possession.
The battle is not won until all souls receive justice. Be ever vigilant, even in death.

>> No.35517998

>>35517853
And of course, there's good old Sir Orrin from "Flight of Dragons"

>Blade with whom I have lived, blade with whom now I die, still one last heart of evil, end one last life of pain. Cut well, old friend, and farewell!

>> No.35518011
File: 1.68 MB, 600x874, 1366863565138.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

This is a world where the strong will spit on you for helping the weak, and the meek will betray you to the strong.

I'll help them anyway.

This is a world where justice is not a force or commandment, but a dull blade so heavy it breaks your arms.

I'll pick up the blade anyway.

This is a world that makes a mockery of kindness and where good deeds have no reward.

I'll be good and kind anyway.

>> No.35518031

>>35517998
And the Templar's favorite verse:
> "Learn to do right, seek justice.
Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow." - Isaiah 1:17

>> No.35518060

>>35518011
Tycho Celchu could be the Star Wars equivalent of a paladin, IMO.

"It's called the gray fallacy. One person says white, another says black, and outside observers assume gray is the truth. The assumption of gray is sloppy, lazy thinking. The fact that one person is diametrically opposed to the truth does not then skew reality so the truth is no longer the truth."
— Tycho Celchu,

>> No.35518087
File: 126 KB, 1280x733, 1382152883107.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

Where it is welcome, you will give counsel.
Where that council is unwelcome you will sacrifice your own dignity to soften others' hearts.
When others suffer, you will put their needs before yours with the fullest devotion.
When there is a monster preying on the weak, you will destroy it.
When there is a law harming the innocent, you will remove that law.
You will fight as long as you can stand.
You will stand as long as you can fight.

>> No.35518106
File: 204 KB, 800x494, Paladin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35518011
That's how I tend to Paladin. It's not about slaying things. Or obeying the laws. It's about helping. Doing the right thing. Ending suffering. Even if the entire world and your own god tells you it's hopeless.

You try anyways.

>> No.35518109
File: 206 KB, 747x989, 1406865106404.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

I have never DMed for, or been in a group with a player playing a paladin that did not use it as an excuse to start shit with other players at some point in the campaign.

>> No.35518159

1. Don't be a dick.
2. Be a dick when it's necessary.

>> No.35518185
File: 27 KB, 340x502, 1267893920321.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35518109
That's why I made a very clear and hard differentiation between a 'Paladin' and a 'Holy Knight'. The latter of which falls into the category of law-backed thugs in holy platemail looking for an excuse to smite.

>> No.35518192

I know it's wrong, but I'm using my paladin as a holy terminator.

>> No.35518272
File: 679 KB, 900x1391, 1273704619970.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

Believe the Church's teachings and observe all the Church's directions.
Defend the Church.
Respect and defend all weaknesses.
Love your country.
Do not recoil before an enemy.
A single coward could discourage an entire army. Even if the knights knew death was near, they would rather die fighting than show weakness.[4]
Show no mercy to the Infidel. Do not hesitate to make war with them.
Perform all duties that agree with the laws of God.
Never lie or go back on one's word.
Be generous to everyone.
Always and everywhere be right and good against evil and injustice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chivalry

>> No.35518278
File: 114 KB, 483x604, tumblr_n4ac62G9Tm1rxieszo1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35518192
There can be guilty fun in it if it's done with a wink-nudge and some degree of communal fun.

Unless you mean in the sense of "Will not fucking stay down" which should be a thing universal to paladins to make them the terrifying force everything seems to know them for. Nothing is more sweet than your shattered, ruined, partially dismembered paladin standing up after getting struck down for the 4th time to the point the Big Bad is practically screaming and begging for them to just die already.

And you stumble at them, sword up, eyes blank. Because you're not going to stop.

>> No.35518279

>>35518109

And I've never had a DM who didn't decide to fuck with me for playing a Paladin.

>> No.35518303

I've only played two Paladins I really liked.

The first was a bird-brained broladin worshiping Kurgess, who is quite literally the god of /fit/ and sports.

The second was an emotionally scarred bandit lord/war criminal who found safety, solace and eventually salvation within the church. He only really worked in mid level campaigns because he'd be a Fighter 3/Paladin 4, for example.

>> No.35518351

>>35518087
Doesn't quite look the part of your stereotypical paladin: no heavy armor, no blessed steel, etc.

No less righteous a champion.

>> No.35518370

>>35518303
>The second was an emotionally scarred bandit lord/war criminal who found safety, solace and eventually salvation within the church.

I've always been fond of this concept. Most paladins I play or run tend to have a background of having done awful things, but then finding salvation and forgiveness through trying to do the right thing as a paladin. I guess Final Fantasy 4 gave me the idea but I really like the concept of only being able to become a paladin as a redemptive act -- it colors the entire idea with history and can make the paladins scary for reasons other than "smites a lot"

Plus it makes Blackguards even more tragic or inspiring, depending on the direction they came from.

>> No.35518391

>>35518351
I feel like it makes a good stereotype to imagine them all as plate tanks, but it should hold true that anyone can be a paladin, and part of their edge even could be the assumption they're all heavily armored bladeboarders, so you just sort of overlook that plain dressed woman with a walking stick.

>> No.35518401

>>35518370
Which is more impressive: the paladin chosen by God, or the paladin who found God?

>> No.35518448
File: 407 KB, 500x684, link sword comic.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

Hot damn I love these paladin threads. I've always wanted to play one, but the opportunity has never arisen.

>> No.35518455

>>35518401
Exactly. Though it's not about impressive necessarily, but more giving weight to the decision and role -- you made an active, conscious, pure decision to say "I was wrong, I did the wrong thing, I want to stop hurting myself and others and do the RIGHT thing now", and accepting the mantle of Paladin as a burden and way to atone.

>> No.35518468

>>35518455
>I want to stop hurting myself and others and do the RIGHT thing now"

Being hanged according to the king's law, I hope. :^)

>> No.35518761
File: 310 KB, 566x919, 1395907324044.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

THIS is the sort of Paladin I want to play one day. Not the Shiny Knight, nor the Grim Avenger. I want to play the tired old soldier. The guy with no rank, but whose presence commands respect because he's seen some shit. He's seen babes being guzzled like cheap beer by ogres the size of hills. He's battle witches who wash themselves in the bloody entrails of the local clergy. He's fought demons that have stolen the body and soul of his dearest friends and relatives.

And he's so tired. So, so fucking tired. Just once he'd like to be able to lie down and just rest. Rest until the Gods call him to judgment. He would like nothing better than to lay down his sword and shield and simply drift into eternal bliss.

And then he hears the cries of those he has yet to save, or of those whom he has failed. He raises his banner, lowers his visor, and charges once more.

>> No.35518810
File: 117 KB, 500x625, 1386768759948.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35518761
One interest concept is playing someone who is a paladin, but doesn't know it. They just slowly, naturally fell into the role, still thinking they're just some plain Fighter who maybe just has a softer touch than most.

But old soldiers are the best, for sure.

>> No.35518844

>>35518810
>>35518761

I love playing old soldiers.

It doesn't help that I'm the only person in my fucking group who can actually into tactics more advanced than "charge at it and full attack" or "cast fireball."

Someone has to keep the stupid little shits alive.

>> No.35518926

>>35518844
I like to think that paladins are really, deeply, almost pathologically consumed with the need to keep people alive and safe, and become REALLY good tacticians and support that maximizes survival. And attaching to allies in a strongly motherly/fatherly/brother/sister sort of way. It's nice to think that instead of just slaughter, paladins also inspire a sort of immediate trust and unspoken familial quality.

>> No.35519068

>>35518926
That always seemed to be their "thing" to me.

Paladins aren't charged with the destruction of evil, or the eradication of anything aberrant. They're not there to hammer down the nail that stands up.

Paladins do what they do in defense of others. They don't do it for glory; they don't do it for wealth, or fame. They do it so that somebody else, somebody that they may never know, doesn't have to suffer. And if defending that person, or those people, means that the paladin has to smite evil, or move mountains, or charge screaming into the very mouth of hell? It's all part of the deal.

But it was never about the fighting, or the killing. It's all a function of the protecting: "If I do this, they'll never have to."

Just my take on it, anyway.

>> No.35519135
File: 218 KB, 600x568, 1412530581471.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

I played a paladin once /tg/, but my DM was a fucking dick to my 24/7 because I was the only one who took the game seriously.
I said one of my family members WASN'T dead.
Suddenly I am seeing her in my dreams, in magic induced nightmares, I read about her in evil research notes, is she dead? Is she alive but mindraped? Who knows!
My DM pulled a lady and kid out of his hat when he wanted me to get hit by an attack, "A lady and child run into the street, right in the attackers way! What do you do?"
I should have just stood up and left right then.

>> No.35519186
File: 56 KB, 799x602, 1376209543080.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35519135
That's exactly the point that you make the hard choice. You put yourself between that woman and child and the attacker, even if it means taking a hit. You save that goddamn family member, even though you don't know if you can, or if it's even worth the effort.

That's what being a Paladin is all about, and while I agree that it can be very taxing to play especially if you have a seriously shitty world (GM) that's always trying to fuck you, it's still The Right Thing To Do.

And above all else, that's what a Paladin has to do, even when it's inconvenient.

ESPECIALLY when it's inconvenient.

Throw that bullshit back in his face. Show that you're better than him. Show that no matter how hard he pushes down, no matter how hard he tries to break you, he can't and you won't, because there's shit worth fighting for.

>> No.35519280

>>35519186
One theme I play up is that the life of a paladin is short, violent, and prone to tragedy. They take the risks everyone else is too scared or sensible to take, because they have to. Paladins don't get a chance to grow old, at least not without a few missing parts a hell of a lot of scars.

Which means an old paladin can a TERRIFYING concept.

>> No.35519335

>>35519280
Seconding this.

An old soldier is nothing to laugh at, ever.

An old soldier whose entire schtick revolves around doing the things that should, by all means, be impossible, and doing them largely for FREE?

That's someone you never, EVER cross.

>> No.35519401
File: 1.79 MB, 893x603, 1409972102713.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35519186
Eh...In the end I was defeated, got my head chomped off by a dragon, didn't even feel anything. I was just like 'Yeah...Yeah ok'

Maybe one day I'll try again, one day when I get tired of being NE

>> No.35519429

>>35519401
And sometimes that's how it goes. Sometimes you don't win. But at least you went down swinging.

When the fall is all there is, it matters.

Lawful Evil was here. Neutral Evil not a shit, but still not as good as LE.

>> No.35519451

>>35514415
>6. places, people and characters you look to for inspiration for a paladin.
His Grace Sir Samuel Vimes, and Ramza Beoulve.

>> No.35519574

>>35514415
Inspiration for paladins?

Joshua Graham, Captain America, Thomas Marshal from the movie Ironclad, whoever the fuck Orlando Bloom played in Kingdom of Heaven, Whoever the fuck Liam Neeson played in Kingdom of Heaven, Samwise Gamgee.

There are others, but they're not coming to mind at the moment.

>> No.35519634
File: 96 KB, 1057x1500, paladin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35519429
Totally seconded. N alignments just do not cut it for me.
>>35519451
>His Grace Sir Samuel Vimes
Such a noble man indeed.

>> No.35520302

>>35514494
thats a really good piece actually, really showing you don't have to be the shining knight in full plate male to be a paladin

>> No.35520476
File: 9 KB, 320x280, Wire Paladin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

You called?

>> No.35520820

>>35517567
You are no friend of Justice.

Also, fuck you.

>> No.35520935

>>35515211
Nice story.
You probably could've helped out with the adventuring a little more, but you did get stuck with a group of murderhobos. Interesting how the GM kept kind of punishing them for being murderhobos and not thinking things through and yet they just kept on being murderhobos.

>> No.35521001

>>35519451
>Ramza Beoulve
Fuck yeah

>> No.35521770
File: 146 KB, 600x750, Motivation.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

In the theme of old soldiers.

>> No.35522476

>>35518109
>>35518279
And yet you Paladin'd anyway. Because that's what Paladinning is about.

>> No.35522511

>>35518278
One of my villains in a D&D 5E game was a death knight, since Death Knights are undead fallen paladins who come back if they don't atone now, who was basically that. He fell because he broke his oaths of honour in order to hunt evil. Would've made a better paladin of vengeance, but he thought they were bad paladins, so yeah. Then he died, and so he got up and did the only thing he thought could help him atone: He kept hunting the guy who he wanted revenge on. He did that for the next 60 years, even after the guy had gotten over his evil side and become a cleric. Of course, the players didn't know any of this, until they got them both in the same room together.

>> No.35522539

>>35514415

I've never been mechanically skilled enough with working the system to pull it off, but I've always thought that for DnD at least, Paladins work better as a template you acquire, and not as a class in and of itself.

If you keep to those super-lawful good extremes, you get blessed either by the Gods or some other force of goodness with the better saving throws, and the immunities, and the healing powers. But you're still a fighter or a ranger or a wizard or whatever.

Plus, it makes it less devastating if you fall. You still have your old class to rely upon, you're not just a crippled fighter. You should probably get cursed though, and something really nasty which requires a fairly major quest to remove (which is itself seperate from atonement) not just a wizard slapping on a remove curse.

>> No.35522546

>>35518401
I have a paladin who got chosen, but didn't want to be. He was a peasant who got picked by god to be a Paladin, despite having no intentions to do such and just wanting to be a farmer, settle down with that local girl he had a thing for, make some kids, normal peasant stuff. Then his village was destroyed, and now he has to run around all these dungeons full of monsters with a gang of psychopaths, and getting magic items he doesn't know how to use and money to spend on things he doesn't even want. He loves it really. He doesn't even consider himself particularly LG.

>> No.35522847

>>35517567

>You're that guy
Yeah.....

>>35515849
>>35520935

Thanks! I'm glad some people appreciate it. I think if I was more creative maybe I could've found a some way to actually work with the party. But I was totally new and didn't really know what I was doing.

>> No.35522978

>>35520935

This is a fairly normal thing. Most players, in my experience, murderhobo because either they want to just run around killing people and can't do it in real life, or don't have the attention span to do anything else.

It's not really subject to cure.

>> No.35525343

>>35519186
That image is the poster child of mental autofellatio.

>> No.35525446
File: 49 KB, 500x504, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35525343
And is there something wrong with sucking a mental dick every now and then?

Especially when it's your own mental dick? Methinks you just hate fun.

>> No.35526246

>>35519280
I imagine an old paladin would make a helluva storyteller too. You know how old veterans always have at least one story to tell? Now imagine an old paladin, who's been smiting evil and saving lives for maybe 50+ years, surviving when others eventually fall, and now he's only stopped because the aching in his bones keeps him from effectively using a sword.

Now imagine that guy telling you all the stories from his youth, from his first smite, to his first rescued innocent, from his first encounter with a fiend, to his last encounter with a Necromancer. Some good stories waiting to happen there, and probably some sound advice to e taken from them too.

>> No.35526464

>>35522847
Whining and crying is generally a good start for a paladin.

>> No.35526494

>>35526464
generally *not* a good start

>> No.35526706

Does anyone have the "you have to smite all the evil, boy" pic?

>> No.35526838

>>35522539
The penalties for falling are supposed to be devastating, and for a good reason (fluff-wise, at least). A paladin is a holy warrior, but he's more than just that. He's a man with a belief, an ideal, which he is willing to fight and bleed for. The aura of courage is his determination, which is so strong not even the most terrifying creature from the abyss can turn him back. His power to lay on hands is the strength of his belief, to continue to fight when similar men would have long fallen. His celestial bond is his tie with the gods, that they believe in him enough to trust him with a valiant steed worthy of a hero, or a weapon with which to strike down those who would challenge his beliefs. And most importantly, his smite is his conviction. It is when he comes face to face with corruption, with the wicked beings who would scorn and laugh at all he holds dear. It is when he looks those who would destroy all he loves in the eyes and says "You'll have to go through me first!"

When a paladin falls, he has betrayed his ideals, and himself. He has fought for what he believed in, but then when things got tense, he turned on the very thing which have him the strength to fight. When a paladin falls, he has lost his determination. He has lost his faith. He has betrayed his god's trust. But worst of all, he has lost the conviction that once gave him purpose. A fallen paladin is a miserable, sorry man, who has betrayed the ideals he once held dear, and the lost of his powers reflects that. He still has his training, he still has his skill at arms, but he has lost everything that have him strength, and as a result he has lost those powers which were fueled by his ideals. He's not a paladin anymore, but just a miserable man, who will live his days wondering what he'd been risking his life for all these years.

For a paladin, falling is worst than death, and it takes more than an atonement spell or a heartfelt apology to get back his strength of faith.

>> No.35527181

>>35526838
And as a side note, I agree that there should be some big task or quest to get back your paladin powers. My favorite one was the Temple of Trials, where fallen paladins come to be tested by the first paladin, who's spirit rests in the temple, to become paladins again. Not everyone survives the trials, but those that do return stronger of faith than try ever were before. I used it once on a player after he fell, and it was awesome.

>> No.35527323

>>35527181
Expand on this 'temple of trials'.
What sort of tests would the fallen paladins seeking atonement be put through?
Tests of faith? Tests of courage? Tests of character?

>> No.35527365

>>35522847
You did right; it's that the other players had no desire to cooperate with you, and that the GM opted to punish you in-game rather than holding a meeting with y'all and talking it out.

>> No.35527444
File: 41 KB, 600x408, Liberty at the Square.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

This is how I warforged paladin.

>> No.35527512

>>35527444
He died as he lived: a true hero.

>> No.35527589
File: 254 KB, 2170x1185, Jews fear the samurai.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35515352
Is that guy on the left Mr. Nazi Samurai?

>> No.35527617

>>35527323
In a way, all of the above. The gist of it was that the fallen paladin would go to the temple and meditate. Suddenly, he would awaken somewhere else, in the middle of a peaceful meadow. There, they would find the first paladin Maximus, resting under a single tree. Maximus would warn them of the dangers ahead, and this would be their last chance to turn back, for only success or death lie ahead. If they stay firm in their decision, Maximus would give them a word of advice, the only advice they would receive for the upcoming trials. "Hold fast to your ideals, and the trials will bear you no threat. But if you should ever waver, then your doom will be guaranteed."

From there, they would be spirited away to various other situation which would test their faith, their courage, their conviction, and more. Success meant that they had proven themselves worthy of bearing the duties of a paladin, and failure meant death.

I'm on my phone right now, and this will take a while to type. If you'll give me a sec to get on my computer and type it out, I'll go into the details, both about the temple and the session I used it.

>> No.35527649

>>35516359
Damn, Grumpfu is right. That is the most stern babe draped across a hero's leg I've ever seen.

>> No.35527658

>>35517930

>implying BatDM doesn't constantly try and fail to get him in bed with his DMPC.

>> No.35527863

>>35515172

>I explode in a rant about justice and punishment and how we brought this upon ourselves with our evil acts and how even a whole lifetime spent in a temple serving the Gods would not be enough to recover from the evil I unintentionally participated in.

This, right here, is terrible paladining. Yes, you fucked up big time, but you can't just use it as an excuse to stop trying: as a paladin, you have the duty to go and try to fix your own mistakes, even if they are grave enough to forever damn you soul.

A paladin is never done trying, brother.

>> No.35528000

>>35515755
>Solar Exalted
>Ever Paladin
I mean, sure they often have good intentions, but...

Righteous Devil is king of the bros though.

>> No.35528170
File: 21 KB, 540x539, Crusader.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35527617
Alright, so some background info before I move on.

The party consisted of a Sorceress, a cleric, a barbarian, and the paladin. Now, I've known everyone in the party for years now, except for the paladin. We needed someone to fill in the spare chair, and the barbarian's player was friends with him, so he brought the paladin's player to fill in the spot. Now, my group, god love em, is big on roleplaying. There's no better feel than leaving to go to the bathroom, then coming back to find out your players have been talking IC the whole time you were gone. The new guy, he's a pretty cool guy, but he does have a couple rough spots. Nothing really big, but he did take a few "liberal" actions for a paladin from time to time. The final straw though, was when he exclaimed "Villains do not deserve mercy!" before lopping a bandit's head off. That would've been all well and good if the bandits had gone through a village and murdered everyone, but these were just run-of-the-mill toll bandits, and the one he killed was the last survivor after a fight, and he laid down his arms and surrendered. I know some people on /tg/ are going to call me That DM for this, but that was when I decided he'd broken one of the core ideals of being a Lawful Good paladin, and that's when some divine intervention was in order.

The clouds suddenly turned dark, and a ray of light burst forth from above them, shining on the paladin. It appeared that it was somehow sucking the light out of him, and then when it was done, the ray and clouds disappeared. The party's paladin had fallen.

Understandably, the player wasn't all too happy about this. I told him that he fell because he'd betrayed one of the core ideals of a paladin, and that his alignment was now bumped down to Chaotic Good, but then that's when I told him there was still a way to get back his powers.

"You remember hearing tales of a temple to the west, called the Temple of Trials, where the fallen go to be redeemed."

(Cont)

>> No.35528439
File: 92 KB, 720x900, Big O forged.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35527512
This is another good warforged paladin

>> No.35528467

>>35528170
/r/ing more of this, i'm intrigued anon.

>> No.35528506
File: 116 KB, 900x542, Crusader2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35528170
The session ended there for the day, and the paladin's player left in a bit of a harrumph. Before the others left though, I sat down and spoke with them about what I had in mind. I wanted them to help me out with roleplaying some of the characters that would show up in the trials, if only because this was going to be a solo mission for the paladin, so I needed to give them something to have fun with during that time.

I'd been planning this for a while now, so I already had most of the ideas hammered out. You see, my group has houseruled long before this campaign that it takes more than just an atonement spell for a fallen paladin to get his powers back, so I made this a couple sessions ago just in case, since like I said the player was pretty liberal with his paladin. I tell them what I'm plotting, and what I need them to do.

Now, lore wise, Maximus was the campaign world's first paladin. In the beginning, the world was controlled by fiends, claiming the material plane as a colony of their respective plains. The celestials wanted to intervene, but doing so would result in an all out war with the fiends, the result of which may very well have ended up destroying the material plane.

Enter Maximus, the first paladin.

Unable to accept the fiend's cruel regime, he stood against them, gathering followers along the way, inspired by his courage and strength of arms. Eventually, the celestials decided to sponsor Maximus, giving him an extra boost of power to combat the fiends with. Eventually, he ended up pushing the fiends back to the three planes from whence they came, and then had a temple raised where the final battle had taken place. He then bound his soul to the temple, denying himself peace in the afterlife, so that should the world ever face the threat of another fiendish invasion, he would always be there.

That was the Temple of Trials.

>> No.35528936
File: 33 KB, 500x786, Paladin3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35528506
The party arrives there, and the paladin goes through the ceremony for entering the trials. Some incense is burned, a prayer is said for his safe return, and he is ushered in. Behind him, the doors are sealed shut. They will come back for him tomorrow, either to congratulate him, or to bury him.

Now we're caught up to my first post. He meditates, he comes to the meadow, and the spirit of Maximus gives him his advice. "Hold fast to your ideals, and the trials will bear you no threat. But if you should ever waver, then your doom will be guaranteed."

The first trial. The paladin awakens again, this time in a ruined village. The buildings are in shambles, and the dead and dying line the streets. On closer inspection, it becomes apparent that the villagers died of some horrible blistering disease. As he's examining one of these bodies, a young girl comes out of one of the ruined houses, her eyes are red and her throat is covered in terrible blisters. She starts sniffling, and begins to cry out meekly to no one in particular. "Please...anyone (hack)...help me."

Of course, the paladin goes over to try and treat her, but the question is, how? He can't lay on hands anymore, he has no idea what kind of disease this is, so what can he do? He did happen to have a healer's kit, so he rolls a heal check to try and heal her somehow. He takes a cloth to try and wipe some of the puss out of her eyes, but the moment he makes contact, her skin clears. And instead, his hand is shot with fiery pain, and several nasty blisters begin to form on the hand he touched her with. I roll a d4, and he takes that in CON damage.

The girl's condition starts to rapidly improve before his eyes, and before long she is clean and disease free. Even she can't believe it, as she starts to thank the paladin vigorously.

And then more show up, dragging themselves over to him. Some of them are hardly recognizable as human now, and they're all begging for help.

(Cont.)

>> No.35528971

>>35528936
I'm still reading

>> No.35529150
File: 1.55 MB, 885x681, bill.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35518106
>Even if the entire world and your own god tells you it's hopeless.
Bill would make a pretty good paladin.

>> No.35529232

>>35514713
my nigger

>> No.35529270

>>35528936
Well now the player's in a bit of a dilemma both IC and OOC. He knows that the obvious answer is to help them OOC, but he also know that I said at the start that he could die in this temple. I think he might have thought I had it out for him after I made him fall too, so that may have played into it some.

Well, finally he decides to just try and heal as many as his con will allow. He touches them, they recover, and then the disease moves over to him, and he takes a d4 CON damage. Finally, he's running dangerously low on CON, and there's still a lot more to go. The villagers can see that he's getting hurt while they're being healed though, and then finally one tells him that it's fine, he's done enough, and that he doesn't have to heal him if he can't. His only request is that he at least save his brother.

Now his brother speaks up and tells him that no, if he can't heal everyone, then he should ignore him and heal his wife instead. No, she says, he can leave her and save her mother. This essentially goes full circle, as everyone is ready to accept death if he'll just save someone other than them.

Well, now the paladin's had enough IC, and the player's decided it's now or never OOC, and he just starts running down the line touching everyone.

They heal, but now his skin has blistered to the point where he's not even recognizable anymore. He falls to the ground, and loses consciousness.

(Cont.)

>> No.35529291
File: 544 KB, 360x655, PaladinBlonde4.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35529270
He reawakens under an unfamiliar roof. When he checks his hands, they are clean and disease free again. When he stands up, the girl from before is at his bedside. Not just her, but all the other villagers as well. After he lost consciousness, they dragged him inside one of the destroyed houses and gave him the best treatment they could. Everyone did what they could, whether it was providing actual medical attention, or feeding him while he was out of it, or just sitting by his bed to make sure he's alright. In that time, they'd already managed to rebuild their village again, and it was "All thanks to you, stranger."

Suddenly, a loud, booming voice reverberated in the paladin's head.
>Never forget why we fight. We risk our lives against monster and man alike so that people like them may live in peace. Whether it is against fiends, or against flesh-consuming disease, we are all willing to lay down our lives for their sake.
Suddenly, there's a tingling in his hand, and he discovers that he can use his lay on hands and mercies again.
>Use this to protect the innocent, whether it be by healing what ails them, or by healing your own injuries, so that you may always stand in their defense.

Suddenly, the villagers disappears, and the paladin now finds himself in a stone corridor, with several men barring a stone door as something tries to force it's way in.

(Cont. God damn this is taking longer than I thought.)

>> No.35529304
File: 331 KB, 500x477, PSuNJBj.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35518448
Link is a great Paladin.

>> No.35529387

>>35529291
Take your time, I have spare F5 keys lying around somewhere. Thanks for the effort, storytiming is not as great to write as it is to read.

>> No.35529505

Bump, for I do not wish this thread to die so early.

Now I want to play a Paladin.

>> No.35529544

>>35529291
Now I bring in the other players, and have them roleplay the people holding the door. I'm going to shorten this a bit so it's not unbearably long for everyone involved, but here's the important stuff.

The paladin goes to help them keep the door shut. While he's doing that, another one comes back with something heavy to seal the door with, and eventually the pounding on the door stops. Turning around, the paladin realizes he's actually in a room with lots of people, young and old, men and women. From one of the NPCs played by a player, he learns that they've been getting attacked by monsters for weeks now, and they come every night to drag one of them away. Obviously, they can't stay here forever if this is going to keep happening every night, they need to escape. But if they run, they'll surely be followed. They need something to slow the monsters down.

"Why don't we leave one behind, so they'll be busy with them while the rest escape?" the barbarian suggests. "That would be horrible!" the cleric declares. "I don't see any other choice." says the sorceress. The paladin suggest staying and fighting them.

"Are you insane? There's gotta be hundreds of them, and ain't no one here knows how to fight." the barbarian says. "Leaving is our only option, it's the only way for at least some of us to survive." It appears the people here have agreed to leave someone behind and run, but the question is, who do they leave?" I look at the paladin and ask him "What will you do?"

He sits there and thinks for a minute. Finally, he speaks up.

"If you people are willing to leave someone behind while you run, then go. But I'm staying behind to fight, so if you plan to run, I'll be your distraction."

The room goes silent, as everyone considers this. Finally, they start to file out of the door, and the paladin is left there alone until nightfall.

(Cont.)

>>35529387
Well, so long as someone's still reading it, I can keep going.

>> No.35529802

>>35529544
The monsters come again that night, except this time, the only one to greet them is the paladin. They break through the doors, and I just start dropping token after token after token on the map. By the end, I think it was something like 20 various monsters, most of them CR 8-9, against one level 12 fallen paladin. We roll initiative, and it's obvious from the start he's not going to win this fight. So, on his turn, he asks if he can try to run, get them to chase him. I tell him he can, but if he does, they might pick up on the villagers scent outside, and abandon him in favor of them. Now he's starting to think he fucked up somewhere, and that now he's going to get turned into red paste by these monsters.

Suddenly, between his turn and theirs, a crossbow bolt hits the monster in front of him square in the eye.

From out the window, he can see the village people running over the hill, carrying everything from swords, to pitchforks and torches. They come charging into the building where the paladin was holding out, and they start attacking the monsters with him. In the end, no villagers died, and the monsters were driven away. As the villagers are cheering over their fresh victory, the same voice begins to reverberate in the paladin's head again.
>As a paladin, it is your duty to face the evils of this world without fear, without hesitation. You are a shield for the innocent, and you must never abandon them. By doing so, we inspire others to the cause, and through our combined efforts, we will never falter.
The paladin then feels another tingling sensation all over his body. He discovers that now he can use his Aura of Courage again.
>Use this, so that your courage may never waver, and that your allies will always stand with you in the face of danger.

The scene once again changes, and this time, the paladin finds himself standing before a gallows, where three men are having nooses wrapped around their necks by a masked man.

(Cont.)

>> No.35529825
File: 154 KB, 400x499, 1394164117179.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

I don't think I'll ever enjoy playing a class as much as I enjoy a Paladin. Leading a group of Murderhobos towards the just and righteous path has never gotten old.

>> No.35530050

>>35529544
Your players are amazing. I know two of mine could pull this off, but one of them is my RL sworn enemy and the other is distracted by his studies.

>>35529802
Go on, I will stay until your tale is finished.

>> No.35530533

I bump with the fury of the righteous.

>> No.35530562

>>35529802
The paladin goes forward to investigate, and the mask man gestures for him to climb up on stage. Curious, but cautious of the masked man, he steps up.

"Stranger, you are just in time to bear witness as these criminals face justice today."

The paladin inquires just what everyone did wrong, and the masked man fills him in. On the far left is a man who stole a pig from his neighbor (played by our barbarian), in the middle is a captured soldier of an enemy country (played by our sorceress), and on the right is a bandit, known to stalk the highways (Player by our cleric). The masked man continues. "However, by ancient law of this land, two must go free while one is executed. I asked to to step forward, stranger, because I would like you to decide who is most worthy of death here."

"I couldn't help it, I was starving!" the barbarian cries. "I fought for my country, I won't beg for forgiveness." the Sorceress says. The Cleric, however, stays quiet.

>> No.35530584

>>35530562
Now, the moment I said "bandit", the paladin started looking at me funny. I think he was still a little sore at that point, though by now he'd figured out I wasn't against him at least. Still, he thinks about it for a second, and out of the three, he decides the bandit is the most guilty one here. Before he can pull the lever on his noose, however, a young girl comes frantically running down the streets.

"Don't pull that!" She yells. "My dad was only trying to protect us!"

The masked man scoffs at her. When the paladin asks what she means, she informs him that the bandit had inherited a lot of debt from his drunkard father, and the debt owners were ready and willing to hurt him and his family to get their money. So, he started raiding caravans. It didn't make him guiltless, but that was his reason. The bandit finally turned to his daughter and spoke. "Run along back to your mother, child. Your father did a bad thing, and now he's going to pay for what he did." By now the child is in tears.

The masked man, of course, is not at all impressed. In fact, he casts Hold Person on the daughter, and she is frozen to the spot. He the declares that he hadn't forgotten about the father's debt, and declared that per the country's laws on debt, his daughter and mother would be sold into slavery to repay their debts.

>> No.35530610

>>35530584
The bandit is outraged. The paladin is going "Wait, what the fuck? That's almost as bad as what he did." I tell him. "Maybe, but the law of the land says what he's doing is perfectly in the right."

Now the masked man walks passed the enraged bandit, and up to the paladin. "Alright now, hurry and make your decision. As I said, everyone here has committed a crime, and one of them must die for it. Now, who's it going to be?" As he says this, the bandit is still thrashing against his restraints, calling his daughter's name.

As I said this, I emphasized it when I said "Everyone here has committed a crime, and now one of them must die." Thankfully, the paladin picked up on my meaning.

So, the masked man gets a longsword straight to the gut, and suddenly the nooses on all the other prisoner's necks disappear. The bandit goes to check on his daughter, who is free again now that the masked man is dead, and the two share a deep hug.

Once again, that voice reverberates in the paladin's head.
>As champions of justice, it is a paladin's duty to be a shining example of what is good and just in this world. Sometimes this means defending the innocent from undeserved punishment, or putting the sword to the wicked."
>"However..."
At this point, the paladin feels a strong urge from some outside source to remove the dead man's mask. When he does, he is horrified to find his own face behind it.
>"When one is ready to accept what they've done and atone for it, it is a paladin's duty to guide them along the path of redemption."
Everything in the area disappears now, except for the bandit and his daughter, still hugging.
>"Because of your actions, this child will never embrace her father again. Look well upon this scene, and learn from it, so that you never repeat the same mistake again.

(Cont.)
>>35530050
They're awesome, I'm lucky I found them.

>> No.35530678

>>35530610
I think it's actually more and more awesome after each post.

>> No.35530729
File: 2.07 MB, 400x225, Only food can fill the void.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35530610
>"Because of your actions, this child will never embrace her father again. Look well upon this scene, and learn from it, so that you never repeat the same mistake again.
My heart

>> No.35530751

>>35527589
He'd be a Blackgaurd, so no, I suppose. Or just an evil fighter. Unless the person running the game thinks a /pol/adin would be good.

>> No.35530918
File: 99 KB, 510x714, CreepyWarrior.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35530610
(Forgot to say, after that scene with the bandit, the fallen paladin's Aura of Justice came back into effect.)

At this point, the paladin's player is kind of scratching the back of his neck awkwardly. I think that was the exact moment when he started to feel like he actually did fuck up back there when he killed that bandit.

Now, even the bandit and daughter disappear, and the paladin's vision changes to a new scene one last time.

Here, he stands in a green meadow again. It is peaceful, calm, and everything seems alright. Then, he can see them coming from far away. The villagers he healed, the townsfolk he saved, and even the men he rescued at the gallows, save the bandit and his daughter. The are all waving at him, shouting thanks and wishing him well on his journey. Just what journey they're talking about, the paladin has no idea, but he takes that as a clue to wave back, and start walking in the opposite direction.

After he covers a certain distance, there's a sudden crash, and the blue sky suddenly turns blood red.

Running back towards the people who saw him off, he finds a lone figure in black armor standing in a field of grey grass amidst a circle of corpses. I don't think I need to say just who's corpses those were.

Now the paladin's player doesn't even need to think for a second about what to do. What does the smite happy paladin do when a very obvious villain appears? He smites some god damn evil right? Well, usually, except one problem.

He doesn't know it yet, but this is an enemy he cannot beat.

>> No.35530927

>>35515172

>Fat smelly player says I should stop trying to draw attention to myself all the time

team confirmed for people who hate roleplay. I love this story and sympathize with being the dude who wants to roleplay in a group of murderhobos but damn you never had a chance of having a fun game.

>> No.35530999
File: 237 KB, 382x597, 1409552822037.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35530918
Oh god oh god oh god.

>> No.35531073

>>35514713
this mofo right here speaks truth.

>> No.35531082

>>35530918
The paladin charges this new enemy who just suddenly, without reason, killed all his new friends, and it's a miss. His sword makes a loud CLANG as it hits the villain's armor. Now the villain turns to him, almost like the paladin was just an afterthought, and I tell the paladin "You feel his eyes fall upon you, and suddenly you feel an unusal shift in the air between you and him." When he asks for a translation, I tell him he's being smited.

The villain swings, and it's a hit by a wide margin. Well, it's just one hit, right? How bad could that be? That's what the player was thinking, and then I rolled the dice.

In a single swing, the paladin took enough damage to bring him down to single digits at level 11.

Now, when I say he can't beat him, I don't mean "he'll need like 10 Nat 20s to beat him, I mean "he doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of beating him". The paladin was level 11 at the time, and only had some of his class features back. This guy was a level 20 antipaladin, with something like 45 AC or so, before he smites good. The player looks at me after I tell him how much damage he took (and after assuring him that no, I did not make a mistake), he asks me how he's supposed to beat him.

"You can't" I tell him straight.

Well, now he's using lay on hands on himself just to try and get above the margin, and he full attacks. All misses. Now, the antipaladin strikes again, and this time the paladin has gone far into the negatives, though thankfully not enough to outright kill him.

The antipaladin pulls his blade out of the paladin's back, and starts to walk away. "Leave now, fool, there's nothing but death for you here if you continue to fight me."

>> No.35531280

>>35531082
As he's walking away, the paladin starts spending all his lay on hands to get back into the positives again. He gets back up, and he asks me if there's anything around, probably desperate for something to fight him with. "There is nothing but the grass and the corpses of your dead friends around you" Is tell him. The corpses of his dead friends, that's what I hinge the sentence on. Thinking there's no other way to do this, he decides that maybe third times the charm, and he charges the antipaladin again.

It was pathetic, watching his face as he rolled high and I tell him that once again, his sword is blocked by his heavy black armor.

The antipaladin then turns around, and lazily swings his sword with one hand at him, not even bothering to turn and face him. It was like a fly, trying to fight a giant. Once again, his health drops like a rock, and he's almost in the negatives again. The antipaladin continues to walk away.

Now I think they player was just thinking "Fuck that guy", and he attacked again. Once again, a miss. Now the antipaladin turns around, and grabs him by his throat, lifting him into the air.

"I told you, fool. There is no chance of you defeating me. Leave now, return from where you came, or my next strike will kill you." He then tosses him onto the ground and begins walking away again.

>> No.35531391

>>35530610
Jesus fucking Christ 5/5 so far holy shit.

>> No.35531436

>>35531280
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LODkVkpaVQA

>> No.35531523

>>35531280

Now, a door materializes behind the paladin. It opens, and he can see his body sitting there, still meditating. However, he can also see the wounds, matching his exactly. There's no doubt about it now, if he dies here, he'll die for good. But the door's right there, he could easily just leave. Sure, he wouldn't regain his powers, but at least he'd be alive. Maybe he could choose a different way of fighting, become a fighter or even a cavalier or something.

I tell him all this, and then I tell him he can hear the words of Maximus echoing in the back of his head, as though from an outside source.

"Hold fast to your ideals, and the trials will bear you no threat. But if you should ever waver, then your doom will be guaranteed."

The paladin gets back up. Finally, the player tells me something along the lines of "I call out to him. 'I won't run away, I won't run away when there is evil right in front of me.'"

"You feel you whole body tingle once again, and now the air seems to shift once again between you and him. You have now regained your ability to smite evil."

And that's exactly what he did. He smited the antipaladin, and rushed in for one last charge. This time, I didn't make him roll dice, and just told him that his blade sank into his black armor and pierced his heart.

Everything begins to disappear. The trees, the corpses, the grass, everything except for him, the antipaladin, and the sword piercing his heart. The antipaladin looks over his shoulder, and speaks to the paladin.

"You have passed your final test, paladin."

(cont.)

>> No.35531549
File: 47 KB, 538x348, Paladin4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35531523
The paladin feels the familiar tingling in his body of his powers returning, and I tell him that he has now regained all of his class features. The antipaladin, sword still in his heart, speaks again. "You have proven yourself worthy of regaining your powers, and are now free to return to your world. Go now, and return to your duties."

The paladin looks back at the door, and pulls his sword free. The antipaladin's body then dissipates into a black mist and disappears. He sheathes his sword, and heads for the door. As he's about to go, he hears the antipaladin speak one last time, his voice seeming to come from every direction at once.

"But always remember, paladin. Should you ever falter again, I shall consume you myself."

>> No.35531615
File: 1.47 MB, 320x240, 1338230221975.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35531549

Awesome. Would play with/10

>> No.35531625

>>35531549
I think you made most of that up, but damned if it wasn't a good story nonetheless.

>> No.35531643

>>35531549
This my good sir, was a great tale. I will be leaving now, as Sleep is required to uphold my duties.

Thanks again, sleep well, /tg/.

>> No.35531655

>>35531615
>>35531625
>>35531643
Hold on, there's an epilogue to this story (One last post)

>> No.35531682

>>35531655
Alright then, I shall wait a little longer.

>> No.35531778

>>35531549
The monks came for him the next day, relieved to see that he was still breathing. They brought him back to the party, and I thought I was going to end the session for the day. But the paladin's player surprised me, and said there was one last thing he wanted to do before we ended.

He ended up returning to the village close to where the bandits had set up, and started asking around. He was looking for the bandit's wife and child that the temple had mentioned.

He found them being cornered by the debt collectors, and then proceed to tell them to scram. It turns out the debt collectors came for them shortly after the bandit's remains were found on the road.

He owned up to what he did, and promised to deal with their debt collectors as a small apology for what he'd done. It wasn't enough to make the wife and daughter forgive him, but it was a good notion. I was proud of him.

Since then, he's become a permanent member of the group. I haven't had much trouble from his since, for the most part. Now paladins are his favorite class.

Glad you guys enjoyed the storytime, goodnight everybody.

>> No.35531824

>>35531778
You sir, are a great DM and a great player (by extension, never forget that DMing is playing the game too, heh).

Good night.

>> No.35531827
File: 341 KB, 375x266, 5 STAR POST NIGGA.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35531778

>> No.35531847

>>35531778

Thanks for the tale man, may your adventuring party never falters!

>> No.35531878
File: 154 KB, 812x983, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35531778
That was beautiful, man.

>> No.35531982

>>35531778
10/10
You are a friend of justice.

>> No.35532091

>>35529291
Yo son that's the scarlet crusade they ain't no paladins

>> No.35532232
File: 97 KB, 670x500, Grunt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35514415
Playing a human criminal turned Paladin of Vengeance named Jan Svalbard in HotDQ (please don't spoil). Took the speshuul snoflake "Ex-cult Member".

Just turned level 3, experienced vs terrible odds, he sees the ravage caused by Cyanwrath (and its dragon parent I guess) as the consequences of his actions.

He's an Heavy Armor Specialist (human feat OP) swinging a maul in battle. He's grim, dedicated, angry, efficient, relatively stealthy and merciless.

If you're worth saving, you're simply not worth his time. He may let his enemies go, alive but unarmed, but he does so with a stern warning: It won't happen twice.

He's level three, 17/10/14/8/12/14 (should have switched Dex and wisdom for lockpicks, but been lucky so far with em.), got 28 hp, with heavy armor master can wade through kobolds more or less uninjured, trained in athletics, stealth and social skillz.

He's got a Maul, 3 javelins, a shield and a battleaxe.

>> No.35532316

>>35514438
>>35514415
>punch people for peace
>wonder why it doesn't work

>> No.35532355

>>35532316

Once everyone has been punched to death, there'll be peace. It's the only way to reach perpetual peace, anon.

>> No.35532508

>>35530050
>but one of them is my RL sworn enemy
At least, you show respect to your enemies.

>> No.35532560

>>35532232
>human criminal turned Paladin of Vengeance
He should have gone with slings instead of javelins so he could throw stones in his glass house.

>> No.35532612
File: 128 KB, 500x417, 1410896726732.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35531778
I'M PLAYING A PALADIN NOW OUT OF 10

>> No.35532645

>>35530610
Ahem... hrrm...

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAR!!! plz.

>> No.35532683

>>35530999
laughed way harder than I should.

>> No.35532750

>>35532645
See
>>35530918
>>35531082
>>35531280
>>35531523
>>35531549
>>35531778

>> No.35533270

>>35532560
Hey I like being an oxymoron. Besides, he literally made the Vow of Vengeance, and I'm going to RP it to its full potential:

>Fight the Greater Evil.
>Faced with a choice of fighting my sworn foes or combating a lesser evil. I choose the greater evil.
This is why I do not bother with lesser foes and still use criminal contacts. They now kind of dislike me, but know that if they collaborate into bringing down a greater evil, they'll suffer no harm.

>No Mercy for the Wicked.
>Ordinary foes might win my mercy, but my sworn enemies do not.
Do a misdeed once, shame on society, I guess? Do it twice, the blood of your victims is on my hands. There won't be a third time.

>By Any Means Necessary.
>My qualms can’t get in the way of exterminating my foes.
This one is the one I interpret the most: It sounds wrong. So I go "without regard to my own health/sanity".

>Restitution.
>If my foes wreak ruin on the world, it is because I failed to stop them. I must help those harmed by their misdeeds.
I take that one pretty hard actually. I'm always pushing my team farther, aiming for the biggest threats. When Cyanwrath used hostages to goad us into a duel even though we were heavily battered down, the ranger told me "The hell you are!" and took a shot as a flip up to the half-dragon. I saw the hostages being executed.

He then reminded me that if I die like a fool, it would have tremendous effect on morale. I thanked him, then threatened that should such a thing occur again, I would batter him senseless myself.

I am ready to die for my convictions.

>> No.35533295

>>35532750
Yeah, should have posted that at the end of the serie.

>> No.35533653

friendly reminder that it is the mission of each true knight
nay, his duty
oh fuck it just listen to the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGzqbEeVWhs

>> No.35534203

I got a chance to gloss over most of the story above. While it's very impressive as a means of redeeming a paladin, shit like this makes me jealous of what could be in a campaign. Plus, I never really got into playing as a paladin in most of my fantasy games. I've played monks, I've played fighters, I've played a 4e shaman, but not a paladin.

Why do paladins get shit like this all the time? What's to stop anyone else from being the almighty beacon of great goodness? Why do they get threads and stories like these with such gravitas behind them?

It doesn't seem fair.

>> No.35534497

>>35534203
There's that one screencap of that time a rogue pretended to be a paladin, if that counts. That one was good.

>> No.35534613

>>35534203
Because being a paladin is suffering.

>> No.35534636

>>35517461
This is poorly written.

>> No.35534647

>>35529150
explain pls?

>> No.35534870

>>35534203
Stop right there!

The main reason why paladins have this special story element is because of the greater risks taken at character creation. When a non-4e paladin is created, he has this moral obligation to follow a certain ethos. This limitation, if used properly (read: toyed with cruelty), is a tremendous opportunity to roleplay and make your experience unique.

But not only the paladin may enjoy this. FFG's Star Wars: Edge of the Empire makes it MANDATORY for every character. One of my player was a wooky with a life-debt on the amnesic bounty-hunter that chased him, for example. He was not aware his protégé was also his nemesis until late in the game.

Shadowrun / WoD / NWoD allows you the same mechanics too. Look for flaws or negative qualities which may have interesting roleplay opportunities (in addition for bonus it may grant) and EMBRACE THEM. Tell your GM you want him to use those and challenge you based on those.

Mage in the NWoD wheelchaired. Was fun and games until I had to beg someone to bring me up fucking stairs to save a friend.

Changeling in NWoD whose very own fetch became his collaborator and brought his downfall in clarity harsh.

Hermetic Mage in Shadowrun who decides to jeopardy his real-ass SIN and doctorate to approach his extraction target.

That's what the paladin has. A flaw. The cavalier's oath (3.PF) is the closest match.

>> No.35534943

>>35517461
>It's not about not falling as a Paladin.
True

>>35517461
>It's about falling so fucking hard you crash through the planet and stand up on the other side.
Overwhelmingly, disappointingly false. Mr. Rogers and Captain America would be disappointed

>> No.35534950

>>35534870
A flaw that simultaneously qualifies him to be the biggest damn hero in the room. Other characters' flaws are just that.

>> No.35535386

>>35534497
I need this

>> No.35535632

>>35517491
muh nigga, dragonheart up in dis bitch!

>> No.35535709

>>35518761
Reminds me of Isaac Clark from Dead Space, dude is pretty bro tier and has a high amount of "seen shit" factor.

>> No.35535817

>>35515352
Michael motherfucking Carpenter.

>> No.35535870
File: 1.34 MB, 1136x5000, Paladin; The Redemption.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

Surprised this hasn't been posted.

>> No.35536445
File: 53 KB, 280x266, druss.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35514415
>Never violate a woman, nor harm a child.
>Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men.
>Protect the weak against the evil strong.
>And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

>> No.35536466
File: 205 KB, 1418x721, Three Discoveries.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>> No.35536483
File: 56 KB, 688x1162, 1625413.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

Have a sexy Paladin (?)

>> No.35536547

>>35529150
bill WAS a pretty damn good paladin

also the paradoxical commandments are a good read for anyone wanting to play a good knight in sour armour

>> No.35536815

>>35536466
A lot of that can be encompassed in Neutral Good, can't it?

>> No.35536847

>>35536547
What's the context of the comic here?

>> No.35537107

>>35517567
Lost me at Joan d'Arc being a good example of a Female Paladin. I mean, maybe if you have only a vague idea of who s/he was.

Followed by full on Lawful Stupid.

But I wouldn't say they were "That Guy", just uninspired and kind of dull.

> Paladin after JoA! Sekrit lesbian gaize! Every time I try to do right, it's a trick! Sekrit lover actually succubus! Guy who doesn't like my badly written erotic fanfic wank is fat & smelly neckbeard.

Ignores the fact that F&S player was just RPing his character when confronted with a 16 year old half-elf female paladin. I mean, what 16 year old skinny chick DOESN'T get mad respect right away from a group of older, rough and tough adventurers?

Finally,

> I tell them that the GM explained to me in the begining the difference between roleplay and rollplay.

I'M JUST DOING ROLEPLAY GUYS. YOU CAN'T JUDGE ME.

Anyways. It's not beyond salvaging yet. Aliriel is traumatized. Time for her to stop playing with kid gloves and REALLY go in for Justice is the Absence of Mercy. Embrace being an impediment to the party. Make it an issue where she starts over-reacting to the possibility of Evil. Ride that razors edge of falling. Honestly, it kind of sounds the the GM is "That Guy" as well. The usual Paladin Problems.

Oh well. OP is having fun.

>> No.35537162

>>35529150
pretty sure this is where beta ray bill sets out to starve galactus by destroying planets right before he gets there to eat them

and thor would probably oppose this because I think the asgardians are more aware than most of galactus' relevance to the life cycle of the universe and that he doesn't eat out of hunger or malice, but obligation.

bill knows this. but he doesn't care, because he is focused on the suffering caused when galactus consumed.

>> No.35537388
File: 886 KB, 1235x766, 1563568-beta_ray_bill_06.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35537162
its also because bill is a better damn hero then thor anyway

>> No.35537659
File: 1.12 MB, 3700x2900, temple of trials.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35531778

screencap'd/10

>> No.35537730

>>35537659
>Wake up middle of the night
>Do what I always do when I can't sleep and check /tg/
>Tfw someone screencapped my story
I thought there were maybe three people who read my story, but looking at the thread now, I'm glad so many people enjoyed it. One thing about the screencap though, you forgot this part >>35527617

>> No.35537767
File: 100 KB, 636x954, 1411449541183.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35537730
It was really good, actually decided to give paladins a try again because of it
Got any more stories?

>> No.35537874
File: 390 KB, 800x1131, Cute Knight.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35515413

When a paladin discovers that they've unwittingly helped evil when they believed they were doing good/neutral acts, the paladin seeks to fix what he/she did. Not wallow in self-pity and shame.

You should be thankful they took you back after how your flagrant dereliction of duty and foolishness.

>> No.35537894

>>35537767
Brain's still kind of fried since I really should be asleep, but maybe later if the thread's still up. I've got plenty of stories about paladins or just good-aligned characters in general.

>> No.35537907

>>35536815
All of it can. That last post isn't describing lawful good at all; it's describing neutral good

>No respect for existing laws at all if they don't match your personal opinion
>Choosing to show mercy to villains or to punish them as you please, without regard for the law of the land or even self-consistency

>> No.35537930

>>35517645
Playing a detect-and-smite paladin is not only disruptive to the game, it's downright idiotic in context.

If you sow chaos and anarchy because you straight up murder an important city official who has a secret pedophile slave ring without first gathering evidence to allow OTHER people to see them for the evil person they are would be monumentally harmful to the lives of peaceful people. Also they would undoubtedly believe you're a fraud and and a murderer.

>> No.35537948

>>35533653
I need more Paladin music.

>> No.35537968
File: 325 KB, 1300x1734, 1408899477689.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35537894
I pray that day comes

>> No.35538008

>>35537930
Are there any other paladins in the world besides you? Is the justice system of the country you live in not exclusively run by paladins who can detect evil in every suspect so they never punish an innocent person or let a guilty one go free? If not, the country you live in counts as an illegitimate authority, because there is a better option for delivering justice available and they're choosing to ignore it. If they prefer a system that's so fallible and corrupt, they must be part of the corruption themselves. Better detect on them just in case.

>> No.35538068
File: 150 KB, 414x585, 1331069462061.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

Rogue here.
You Paladin types are pretty cool.
I mean you really make me wanna go Robin Hooding.

>> No.35538072

>>35518761

I don't play old soldiers because the age modifiers in Pathfinder make it a very bad idea.

>> No.35538126

>>35538068
Enjoy your coup-de-grace, filthy law-breaking scum.

>> No.35538149

True neutral bard here. You paladin types have some cool stories. What do you say we head over to a tavern, have a few drinks, tell each other a few tales of heroism? I'm writing a book, you see.

>> No.35538195

>>35538126
I don't really like coup-de-graces.
If the guy's asleep, then he's not in my way.
If he's helpless, then some rope and a gag will work fine.
Killing people without good reason just gets you into trouble with Paladins.

Also I bath plenty.

I won't challenge the law-breaking scum thing though.

>> No.35538240

>>35538195
I mean _your_ coup-de-grace, criminal.

>> No.35538251
File: 921 KB, 464x261, 1380831834438.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35538195
>MFW 5E vengeance were introduced
Always got to fight that greater evil, any means necessary.

>> No.35538293

>>35538240
Whoa there friend, I'm starting to think you might wish me ill.
Aren't you guys supposed to detect before you smite?
Now I may not be a saint like that John Arc guy you like so much, but I'm no thug.

>> No.35538324

>>35538293
The law must be upheld, even when crimes are committed for ostensibly good reasons. You steal from people. You don't have any right to.

That's the difference between being neutral and being lawful.

>> No.35538437

>>35538324
And yet, A paladin can commit a chaotic act without falling as long as they are not on a frequent basis.

>> No.35538456

>>35538437
Being chaotic or neutral good implies that you break the law on a regular basis, or at least don't do your best to prevent it from being broken. You're a criminal and deserve punishment, just own up to it.

>> No.35538477

>>35538324
And so what? Yeah, I steal from people all the time.
That lender who jacks up his interest rates every month.
The lord who doesn't even leave his serfs enough food for the winter.
The priest who charges his flock for "indulgences" and says they'll suffer godly wrath if they don't buy buy buy.
And maybe I've even killed some people before.
But unlike YOU who goes on about "coup-de-gracing criminal scum", everyone I've ever killed has been awake, facing me, and armed.
But hey I'll admit it. I am the law-breaking scum you talk about. Frankly I don't much like most laws.
Especially when they hurt people who had the gall to be born into a station they can't escape.
So do whatever you want to me. Because from what I've read about the real paladins in this place, I may not be very Lawful. But you don't seem very Good.

>> No.35538495

>>35538456
Summary execution seems a bit extreme for the specific kind of unlawful shenanigans Chaotic Good types (those that keep their capital G firmly in place) usually get up to.

>> No.35538506

>>35538149
>true neutral
And how did you become true neutral, hmm? Clearly, you've done evil and unlawful acts, or you would be lawful good. You must die, evil criminal!

>> No.35538519

>>35538477
I would never coup-de-grace you without having beaten you in fair combat before. Doing otherwise is the work of an executioner or a coward.
All I'm saying is that I don't see how us meeting could end with both of us walking away alive.
>>35538506
This guy gets it. You're either lawful good, or you support evil or criminals.

>> No.35538566

>>35538519
It's easy. I leave, and find a REAL paladin to associate with.
One who's interested in removing the unjust laws that I've been butting my head against rather than attacking any one who doesn't fit their narrow ass view one what is good or not.

>> No.35538609

I posted this in the other Paladin thread but...

Am I the only one really bothered by the term "Paladin?" It doesn't seem right using it as we do, given the origins.

>> No.35538637

>>35538609
I don't really see the harm.
Besides, what's wrong with being bros with Charlemagne?

>> No.35538656

>>35530562

Not that it isn't a great story, but how is a captured soldier a criminal at all? If he was a marauder, sure.

>> No.35538682

>>35533270

That's pretty damn cool. Who are you avenging yourself on?

>> No.35538686

>>35538656
He's the "enemy", and such are often demonised.

>> No.35538711

>>35538656
Maybe they just do that with captured enemy soldiers? It's a dream-test; it doesn't haven't make sense.
>>35538682
I hope it's his old band of miscreants.

>> No.35538725

>>35538686

Sure. But firstly, that seems highly irregular. Foreign soldiers are seldom considered as criminals, at least before the 20th century.

And secondly, from a paladin's viewpoint, he'd be the most innocent of the people involved hands down if there was no other information. Granted, that may not change that the executioner is the biggest criminal of them all (though that is also somewhat debatable if he is not a vigilante).

>> No.35538743

>>35538637

He spilled the blood of Saxon men, he spilled the blood of Saxon men, he spilled the blood of Saxon men.

Also, Charlemagne Paladins are retainers later turned feudal lords. DnD Paladins are knights errant. Very different, even if we say both have some ideals in common.

>> No.35538754

>>35538637
it seems so weird to me since it's such a specific term compared to other fantasy "classes".

>> No.35538783

>>35538743
>>35538754
That does raise an interesting point.
Maybe they chose it because Crusader or Templar made people think of the Crusades, which is seen by many as a black mark on history?
But then why not just Knight?
This could be fun to look into.

>> No.35538786

>>35538126
You don't have to be a good person to be a hero.

>> No.35538796

>>35538786
And you don't even have to be Lawful to be a Good person.

>> No.35538811

>>35538783
I have returned from wikipedia!

"Creative origins

The development of the Dungeons and Dragons Paladin, first introduced in the original Greyhawk supplement, was heavily influenced by the fictional character Holger Carlson from Poul Anderson's novel "Three Hearts and Three Lions", which was in turn based on the epic poetry of the Chansons de geste.[2] Also mentioned as a basis were the paladins of Roland, the Palatine Guard of Augustus deified, the Papal Guard of the same name, and the Christian myths of King Arthur."

>> No.35538831

>>35538754

I guess it's more specific than most, but when you think about it Monks and Clerics also have some specific connotations. Why Clerics and not Priests? Why Monks and not Ascetics or Martial Artists?

>> No.35538852

>>35538796
Think deeper than simply being of a Good alignment. What does it really mean to be a hero? To be able to save lives? Can't being a hero simply be doing what's heroic to yourself, maybe not to others? Being a hero might involve stealing or cheating or lying to get ahead - but people look upon them as petty thieves, not bothering to think about their personal motives. How about that bandit who got executed from the paladin in the trials?

>> No.35538867

>>35538831
Eh, there're monks and clergy across tons of cultures even if they're technically referred to by other names.

Paladins refer to a very specific group of knights, even within their own culture it's pretty unique. I don't think it's fair to compare them to those other classes.

>> No.35538996

>>35532355
You sir, are either Ozymandias or Loyal Evil.
Wait. Is Ozymandias Loyal Evil or Loyal Good?
Because I'd say Loyal Good myself.

>> No.35539039

>>35538996
>Loyal
>Kills his allies, betrays his companions, kills his employees.
Wat the fuck are you smoking?

>> No.35539144

>>35539039
So, Neutral Good? Save the world no matter what?

>> No.35539189
File: 21 KB, 350x350, best_thread.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>> No.35539446

>>35536483
Call the inquisition.

>> No.35541054

>>35537874
But they were murderhobos.....

>> No.35541083

>>35537948
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOx3hoo-IKM

And the scars we've acquired aren't shadowed in remorse.
These scars are our testament that we didn't quench spirit's flame, but we assailed Hell with swift feet and iron fists, proclaiming:
We fight!
We shall not rest!
Til vows fulfilled, we shall not rest!

>> No.35541116

>>35539189
>>35533078

>> No.35541132

>>35538743
You gotta realize that D&D classes are inspired more by legend and pop culture than anything resembling history.

Read the Song of Roland (bearing in mind the context that the Saracens are to be considered objectively evil, much like the foes paladins fight in D&D) and tell me that isn't some paladin shit.

Also, the only reason D&D paladins are typically more knights errant is that D&D does a pretty poor job of supporting games where the players have the sort of station and obligations that being a retainer or feudal lord entails. That's purely a function of the campaign, not the class itself.

>> No.35541183

>>35538996
>>35539144
If we're talking D&D alignments, he's definitely not Good. Arguably neutral, but definitely not Good.

D&D alignments really don't work by hard consequentialist standards. Essentially bombing a huge, densely-populated city, and murdering all of your accomplices to make sure your plan goes off without a hitch, is most definitely not Good even if the end goal is to prevent devastating global war.

>> No.35541205
File: 172 KB, 1000x629, undead_knight_imaginefx.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

Played Pathfinder. Character was a Lawful Good Undead Paladin. Story was he was this old knight who got smacked hard by a necromancer, but was so righteous and just that he retained his own mind. Proceeded to kick the shit out of the necromancer. Joined an adventuring party to do good and be in company where a guy who always has his armour on and smells like death wouldn't be out of place.

>> No.35541491
File: 2.69 MB, 1200x1655, 1403850612379.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35541205
We are here to add to the sum of human goodness. To prove the thing exists. And however futile each individual act of courage or generosity, self-sacrifice or grace -- it still proves the thing exists. Each act adds to the fund. It needs replenishment. Not only because evil flourishes, and is, most indefensibly, defended. But because goodness is no longer a respectable aim in life. The hound of hell, envy, has driven it from the house.

>> No.35541509

>>35541491
Ignore the link, that wasn't meant to be there.

>> No.35541686

>>35538519

Not sure if sarcasm or lawful stupid.

Law must be obeyed, yes, but circumstances can vary wildly. There's a difference between a starving peasant stealing from lord's field to feed his child and a bandit lord pillaging monastery's coffers to add to his hoard.

>> No.35542437

>>35541686
There is indeed a difference. The bandit lord will be harder to bring to justice, so you should begin with the peasant rather than risk getting killed before you can finish both.

>> No.35543162

>>35537948
The entire musical The Man of La Mancha is great for inspiration on this front, if you liked that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onQJZ-gzwsc
There's a film version with Peter O'Toole as Cervantes/Don Quixote.

>> No.35543258

>>35518031
>"Learn to do right, seek justice.
>Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow." - Isaiah 1:17
My Hebrew Bible Prophetic bruthah! Have some Amos:
וְיִגַּל כַּמַּיִם, מִשְׁפָּט; וּצְדָקָה, כְּנַחַל אֵיתָן.
"Let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like a mighty stream."

>> No.35544807

>>35514415
Hey /tg/,

I have never actually played a game with anyone, but I read these threads and come up with ideas for things I'd like which are probably all terrible/stupid but if I ever found a group and I wanted to be a Paladin, I would go for something like

Paladin's faith is inspired by his great desire to defeat evil
Considers killing anything but undead or abominations a great sin unless very specific circumstances
Focuses mostly on healing or helping others
Has an axe cursed by someone that hates paladins and wants them to suffer in life,

The Axe of the foolish savior
If an ally is injured severly or near death, striking the injured person with the ask will transfer all the wounds inflicted to the paladin, usually resulting in the paladins death

Or something

I just want to play

>> No.35544859

>>35544807
Sounds like it wouldn't really work with lots of groups and campaigns, but something similar night be possible if discussed ahead of time. Good job being creative and into actual roleplay though. If you can't find a group, try starting one and being dm.

>> No.35545040

>>35544859
>>35544859
I mean I would absolutely need to dicuss it with then DM and have them tell me what's dumb about that and further characterize the person,

Or scrap the whole thing and just go off his direction, which would be fine too.

>> No.35545439
File: 205 KB, 988x1336, Chaotic Good.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

My good blade carves the casques of men,
My tough lance thrusteth sure,
My strength is as the strength of ten,
Because my heart is pure.

>> No.35545479
File: 422 KB, 900x1165, tumblr_ls8grkjvrQ1qizbpto1_1280.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35529304

>> No.35545786

>>35529304
>>35518448
>>35545479
where are these from?

>> No.35545981
File: 130 KB, 350x350, 350px-Berenice_FA_3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>> No.35546227

>>35538008
Not only are there not enough Paladins to run every court and oversee every government, it's not really their job to do so, and it would undermine whatever Justice System/Government they have.

>> No.35546283
File: 238 KB, 1235x766, Beta Ray Paladin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35514415

>> No.35546638

I Once played a paladin which had to cooperate with a party that included some evil characters.

He did his best to damage control at every turn keeping the party from doing anything overtly evil on their quest.
He would disarm enemies and set prisoners free often sundering weapons in the process.
Since metal was rare in the desert setting he became famous in the region for being the rust paladin, slayer of steel.

Eventually he left the party due to conflicting character goals but I had a bit of fun with it before rolling a new one.

>> No.35546845

>>35515332
>Not Ulath

Step up, Pandion

>> No.35546877

>>35545479
>tumblr
>Notallmen

Nice b8, m8

>> No.35546892
File: 74 KB, 640x960, paladin_female_17.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>> No.35546922
File: 2.01 MB, 1478x772, paladin_female_27.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>> No.35546959
File: 1.03 MB, 811x986, 1400028660082.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35546892
RIP
ahahaha as if, she's totally coming back

>> No.35547132
File: 39 KB, 480x600, poster_paladin_01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>> No.35547172
File: 312 KB, 979x468, paladin_vs_lich_rap_battle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>> No.35547226

>>35527649
In my mind, she's a witch about to be dragged off to a convent for some serious repentance.

>> No.35547244
File: 545 KB, 1600x1200, paladin_female_05.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>> No.35547306
File: 43 KB, 604x441, FinestHour.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35547244
Bant art best art. Fucken loved the theme of that shard. Grixis a shit.

>> No.35547327
File: 105 KB, 760x556, 131142__Sword_Sanctuary_ copy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35547306
GLOWING SWORDS

>> No.35547345
File: 81 KB, 620x433, stf54_bant.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35547327

>> No.35547866

The Dark God of Secrets has many dark pieces of lore that would shatter a person's soul like glass before a stone, but one he has he keeps with a dark glee. A simple one, but such a true one.

The God of Holy Light fears Paladins.

The Holy One allows himself peace with the idea that most serve in his name, but deep down, with only the barest mote of thought in the deepest part of his divine heart, he knows fear of them, and that whisper of secrecy flew to the Dark One's ears.

Why? Its simple. Every god knows that he is not the most powerful in the universe. Such as the river may be moved by a single pebble, the sun may sometimes be outshone by a simple candle. Paladins are not priests, exchanging servitude and faith for power, a contract and pact made holy or unholy by virtue of the patron, but an embodiment. Sometimes of vengeance tempered by justice, sometimes of compassion tempered by pragmatism, Paladins are beholden to the ideal. The ideal that by definition, the Holy One cannot be.

Some days the Holy One gives in to darkness, and fears that one day they will turn against him. Some days he darkly consoles himself that he is not as pure as what they seek to embody. But either way, even with so many swearing in his name... The God of Goodness fears the Paladin.

>> No.35548514
File: 54 KB, 324x412, 1275784346131.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35535870

>> No.35548623

>>35536847
Galactus eats planets, because the planets are poisoned and if he dies, the entire universe will die with him. (True. Also, Galactus doesn't enjoy his perpetual starvation or its consequences, but knows that its better than the alternative)
Horse-Thor's planet was eaten. He's not okay with this. Everyone else is okay with this, because of Galactus' sob story. He wants Galactus to pay for the suffering and death of his people, which he views as a great injustice
Thor thinks Horse Thor is a bad person for blowing up planets to starve Galactus, especially with the knowledge of Galactus.

They're both decent paladins here.

>> No.35548896

>>35544807
Three hundred years later, this axe is enshrined as one of the greatest relics of the Order that formed in his wake, The Blade That Fells Death.

>> No.35548906

>>35514494
lol wh?

>> No.35549475
File: 171 KB, 1546x1250, Saint Donovan Gharam.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35535386
Here we go

>> No.35550436

>>35538682
>>35538711
>That's pretty damn cool. Who are you avenging yourself on?
>I hope it's his old band of miscreants

Yup. He was a cult member, got betrayed, witnessed the horror he brought from the other side, attempted suicide, was rescued and shown the way of the paladin and went straight back to prevent horrors like those he caused.

The optional backgrounds given for the campaign HotDQ were wonderful to build upon. It gave me 3 targets to which, with the DM's permission, are entwined to my past.

Frulath Monrath was dealt with. I now carry her halberd as a spare weapon and memento. I think I picked up Bog Luck's and Rezmir's scent and as soon as those threats are disposed, I shall challenge Cyanwrath.

Now, 4th level is going to be another feat, and with his path of vengeance.

- Grappler could help me keep it personal,
- Great Weapon Master could help me bring down the sources of evil faster (Vengeance Channel Divinity gives you 1 minute combat advantage versus one foe),
- Healer could help me help the people hurt by my ex-cult,
- Sentinel would greatly reinforce the idea of duty to others.

What do you think, fluff-wise, would fit best his theme? I know, from an optimizing viewpoint, Great Weapon Master is wonderfully synergic, but I hesitate making a Torm-Empowered-Barbarian

>> No.35550505
File: 129 KB, 500x697, Big-Guy-and-Rusty.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35528439
>>35527444
>Big O
>Paladin

You guys are forgetting the greatest Warforged Paladin.

>> No.35550563

>>35550436
Damn, that's a tough choice.
Healer, or maybe sentinel?

>> No.35550739

>>35515211
shittiest story ever never reading another one again

>> No.35550787

>>35514415
There are no Dreams - There is Reality
There is no Dignity - There is Immorality
There is no Honor - There is Distrust
There is no Justice - There is Corruption
There is no Battle - There is only Submission

Through Reality your Dreams are broken
Through Immorality your Dignity is shed
Through Distrust your Honor is lost
Through Corruption your Justice is forgotten
Your Submission shall end your Battle

- Credo Anglfar, Blackguard Initiation Mantra

>> No.35550847

>>35518448
>>35529304
>>35545479
LOL

>> No.35551890

The paradoxical commandments

People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.
Love them anyway.

If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
Do good anyway.

If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies.
Succeed anyway.

The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
Do good anyway.

Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
Be honest and frank anyway.

The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds.
Think big anyway.

People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.
Fight for the underdogs anyway.

What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.

>> No.35552050

>>35545439
anyone got the story of the guy who during a siege takes command and slaughters all the inhabitants of the enemy city as an alternative to letting the other players go all magical realm on the city? not exactly noble-good but was an amusing screencap regardless

>> No.35552243

>>35537730
Posting to /tg/ means that you will be remembered as long as their hard drives persist.

>> No.35552663
File: 30 KB, 400x546, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35541205
Me and some bros are thinking about setting up a D&D game and I totally want to play as a skeleton paladin

>> No.35552776

>>35552663
The undead are animated via negative energy. I'm afraid that's not possible unless you're homebrewing some massive bullshit.

>> No.35552886

>>35552776
Why can't a skeleton be animated by DUTY and JUSTICE?

>> No.35552926

>>35552663
>>35552776
negative energy isnt exactly evil, motherfucker could still baelnorn warrior it up as long as his god/moral code/whatevs is willing to concede his lifestate for the sake of his mission

>> No.35552943

>>35552886
I believe that's a ghost.

>> No.35553000

>>35552776
After Pathfinder took away all the neat things Undead got, like beiong immune to backstabs and crits, my DM finally let a guy in my group be a Revenant Paladin, with the stipulation that he can't use Lay on Hands on himself

>> No.35553015

>>35552776

Justice doesn't care about your pseudo scientific mumbo jumbo: the only energy a Paladin needs burns deep within his soul!

>> No.35553043

>>35553000

Doesn't Lay on Hands hurt the undead anyway?

>> No.35553082

>>35553043
Yes. That was why

>> No.35553104

>>35553082
BUT WHAT IF HE WANTS TO HURT HIMSELF!?

>> No.35553128

>>35553104
emo paladins are pretty shite

>> No.35553138

>>35553104
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y983TDjoglQ

>> No.35553362

>>35550505
Considerably less so in the comics than in the cartoon. Seriously, even bereft of his power(suit), he would smite your ass.

>> No.35553405
File: 159 KB, 852x937, 1410491338546.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

Hey /tg/ i need some help. I'm trying to explain the concept of paladins and LG to a friend who is a massive weeb, and I can't think of any annimu characters to compare to. Can you help?

>> No.35553438

>>35553405
Alexander Anderson.

>> No.35553487

>>35514713
Michal Carpenter and Muster Rogers are the people I aspire to be like.
I'm not even a little religious but they are still my heroes

>> No.35553508

>>35553405
Start by not trying to compare them to anime?

>> No.35553513

>>35553405
Monkey D. Luffy.

>> No.35553598

>>35553513
Luffy's more Neutral/Chaotic Good.

>> No.35553600

>>35514415
And then cue Injustice: Gods among us

>> No.35553622

>>35553405
Bright Noa.

>> No.35553634

>>35553600
Which is an alternate universe.

>> No.35553662

>>35553405
Like half the cast of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha.

>> No.35553694
File: 2.50 MB, 480x270, Excalibur.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35553405
Saber would be the obvious choice, no?

>> No.35553726

>>35553513
Luffy is textbook Chaotic Good. The only things he cares about are his friends, food, and being the pirate king. Remember when Princess Vivi was escorting the party across the desert of Alabaster? She was apologizing and sorrowful that she dragged them into her kingdom's mess.

Luffy DECKS THE SHIT OUT OF THE PRINCESS and shouts at her that he's offended at the notion that the party has no business being here.

Why?

Because they're FRIENDS.

>> No.35553746

>>35553405
Different paradigm. Paladins are a western thing, the closest analog would be samurai.

Which aren't close at all.

>> No.35553754

>>35553726
God damn, why am I not reading One Piece?
I'm a sucker for that nakama shit.

>> No.35553781

>>35553754
How the hell are you not reading it if you're into that shit? Dramatic speeches about the importance of one's crew makes up half the series.

>> No.35553819

>>35553746
samurai are really not LG at all, LN if anything
incredibly loyal mercenaries isnt exactly paladin material

>> No.35553832

>>35553781
Fuck it, I'm gonna go binge it.
See you in a week, /tg/!

>> No.35553838

>>35553754
It's one of the core tenants of the entire series, for as long as it's been running. They take the concept of fellowship and camaraderie extremely seriously, at least as a narrative motif. Remeber: there was an entire story arc about the crew declaring war on the entire world and breaking into arguably the most secure prison in the world just to rescue one of their crewmembers (who, for the record, still had the most notorious rapsheet of the Straw Hats up to that point).

>> No.35553851

>>35553832
It'll take longer than that.

>> No.35553863

>>35553819
What about samurai JACK?

>> No.35553921

>>35553863
He's western in origin and an exception to the rule.

>> No.35554082

>>35553832

>He thinks he can read One Piece in a week

See you in three months, Anon.

>> No.35554590

>>35553405
These >>35553438, >>35553662 are pretty accurate. Also:
>Alex Louis Armstrong
>Samurai Flamenco
>Kaburagi Kotetsu (aka Wild Tiger, from Tiger & Bunny)
>Sayaka from Madoka Magica, for a paladin who ultimately fell

Also, I haven't actually seen it, but I hear Kamen Rider mentioned a lot in paladin threads.

Anime really has something of a dearth of good LG/paladin-esque characters. Loaded with protagonists that get the whole "righteous zeal for good" bit down, but anime protagonists really tend to trend more CG. Pretty much any hot-blooded shonen protagonist who makes passionate speeches about justice and such would work if you added the caveat, "if they had more respect for authority and were just as gung-ho about order and honor as they are about good and justice in general" as necessary. For instance, Vash the Stampede, or pretty much any of the main cast of Gurren Lagann.

>> No.35554594

Is there a way to play a type of paladin using short spears and shields in 3.PF?

I always wanted to make some kind of holy lancer or something

>> No.35554676

>>35554594
Ya, make a Paladin, then buy short spears and shields

>> No.35554695

>>35554590
Riders depend heavily on who you're talking about. Depending on their personalities, they range from Lawful to Chaotic to Neutral, with some of them dipping into outright evil.

>> No.35554827
File: 319 KB, 1571x777, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35554590
>pic related is oh so fucking valid

>>35554676
I was thinking of a way for spear based paladin like how you can have a Totem Barbarian instead of regular barbarian in 3.5 or Carnavalist Rogue in PF

>> No.35554871
File: 60 KB, 618x619, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35554827
WOW I didn't read the full post I responded to and thought you had overseen TTGL

>> No.35554872

>>35554590
Jonathan Joestar could work, too.

>> No.35554880

>>35554594
Uh
Buy a spear and a shield
it's pretty simple man
If you're willing to take a hit spellcasting wise, you could always go Phalanx Soldier fighter 3 for the ability to wield a two-handed polearm/spear type weapon in one hand, provided you have a shield with it.

>> No.35554952

>>35554827
Same anon from >>35554880
you could try http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/archetypes/paizo---cleric-archetypes/crusader
It's not exactly what you're asking, but you could pick up any proficiencies you need from it

>> No.35555192

People really need to listen to Christopher Lee's Metal Knight album. It's his version of The Man of La Mancha and it makes me want to play a paladin so badly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrnLc7wTmlU

>> No.35555658
File: 5 KB, 174x173, 1385763704771.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35537894
Y-You never came back..

>> No.35555844
File: 135 KB, 670x918, 1385676167120.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>35555658

>> No.35556522

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SepcT0KtUM

He fell, but he found his redemption.

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence..."

>> No.35556655

>>35556522
A touch too samurai. He was more about honor than righteousness.

>> No.35556677

Can we get a new thread when this one 404s? I have a pretty fun story to tell

>> No.35556698
File: 1.48 MB, 1280x1024, Don Quixote Wallpaper 01.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGzqbEeVWhs

How to REALLY Paladin

>> No.35556706

>>35556677
Be the change you want to see, I'll follow you

>> No.35557494

>>35556698
who

>> No.35557530

>>35518761
This sounds like Peter Parker, honestly. Just not..super old.

>> No.35558191

>>35531778
I play a rogue full-time pretty much.

If I had a DM that actually enjoyed RPing, I'd play Paladin, or give it a try.

>> No.35558428

>>35557494
Don Quixote

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action