Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
[ERROR] No.31955295 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

Why are psychic powers often seen under the purview of science fiction rather than fantasy?

I understand why people would object to its inclusion in more traditional fantasy given the anachronistic nature of psychic powers relative to most fantasy settings, but why is it not used more in more contemporary settings? Or rather, why is it when it's used in sci-fi it's seen as something more...I don't know, technical as opposed to magical? The whole concept of psychic powers seems rather fantastic to me anyway.

>> No.31955520

because in the early-to-mid 20th century there was some serious investigation of the idea that the human mind might have "hidden" capabilities, and the concept made its way into a lot of classic science-fiction, like foundation, dune and star trek, which in turn influenced a lot of later sci-fi.

also

>Why are psychic powers often seen under the purview of science fiction rather than fantasy?

you're operating under the illusion that there is a solid distinction here. these are not comprehensive categories, they cover some shared thematic elements between many, many different works which might otherwise be entirely different from each other. you can have psychic powers in a world with elves and orcs, book shops will still probably put it in the fantasy section. if you put magic in a book with space ships and lasers they'll probably put it in the sci-fi section.

>> No.31955659

>>31955520
Got it in one.

>> No.31955821

>>31955520

Oh, I see. That makes sense.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action