Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

/vt/ is now archived.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 97 KB, 998x584, Impscale.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
31927243 No.31927243 [DELETED]  [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

How realistic are big spaceship?

Did the Emperor have a small penis?

>> No.31927278
File: 37 KB, 363x480, 1332937789606.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
31927278

>>31927243
>realism
>40k

>> No.31927349

It's complicated. There's no real reason you couldn't, with proper technology, make a very large spaceship. A larger ship could be much more efficient then several smaller ships owing to economies of scale. (Cargo ships are much larger then trucks because they can be made so practically, with the limitation being the amount of cargo that realistically needs to move from one point to another and the water they travel in. In space, the only real limitation would be the amount of cargo that needed to be moved.)

But..

40k ships are stupid as shit. They must rely on humans to perform many task, including those better handed by electric motors, and so should be limited to very, very small sizes. If you can't build a 50 horsepower motor you can't build a spaceship, full stop. It's a retarded setting if taken literally, and instead should be looked at as a parody or fantasy.

>> No.31927385

>>31927243
because if your spaceship is big enough that it can win simply by smashing into something, you're probably doing something right in the 40k universe

>> No.31928021

>>31927349
>40k ships are stupid as shit. They must rely on humans to perform many task, including those better handed by electric motors, and so should be limited to very, very small sizes. If you can't build a 50 horsepower motor you can't build a spaceship, full stop. It's a retarded setting if taken literally, and instead should be looked at as a parody or fantasy.

except thats not the norm for imperial ships, I'm not saying they never use human power but in the actual stories and stuff things are decently automated (with servitors taking the place of robots) by scifi standards. Also going by the crew figures for them they've got a 10th or less the crew density compared too modern warships which would require them to be heavily automated.

>> No.31928424

>>31928021
Mars-pattern macrocannons reload shells via rope-crews.

>> No.31928572
File: 606 KB, 1920x1080, Atlantis.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
31928572

>>31927243
A. Big navy ships are real, OP. So big space ships are realistic by definition.
2. The Emperor is not a ship builder.
d. As much as you may wish it, everything is NOT about dicks.

>> No.31928632

>>31928424
some do some also have complicated autoloader systems. some ships have the gun bay doors opened by man powered tredmills, some dont. the simple fact is the cost of a motor is sometimes more expensive then a heap of mutant or just unlucky citizens of the imperium. one thing to keep in mind is durability; a motor needs a tech adept to replace or fix humans can be easily replaced; with the population levels of some of the ships they dont even need to dock to get replacements, as it becomes self sustainable.
there is of course the many number of ships which are practically automated but they arnt fun to write about

>> No.31928718

>>31928572
>The Emperor is not a ship builder
He did however have a ludicrously large flagship.

>The signifier Imperator Somnium registered briefly in the servitor’s memory core: an interstellar craft of unique classification, it was beyond the security clearance of the lowly machine-slave to even set foot aboard one of its shuttle-barges. A goliath among starships, the Emperor’s command carrier matched in size the great orbital plates such as Riga and Skye, which floated over the surface of distant Terra like windborne island continents. When it had first entered orbit of Ullanor the planet’s sun had been partially eclipsed, and the Emperor’s helmsmen were forced to administer the ship’s course with an iron hand, to prevent the mass of the vessel exerting a tidal effect on the local weather system.

>> No.31929163

>>31928424
Don't think so, you got a source?

>> No.31929166
File: 61 KB, 400x225, chouginga-dai-gurren02400.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
31929166

>>31928718
So around the size of the moon?

>> No.31929303

>>31929163
>>31929163
the BFG rulebook

and every source about Imperial Ships

>> No.31929345

>>31929303
The only thing in the BFG rulebook with that sort of stuff is a peice of art of guys on a treadmill for un specified purpose.

>> No.31929590
File: 890 KB, 1200x927, 7a82685e9455ddfd5c6f3e2031c0594d.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
31929590

>>31929345

The STC of this thing apparently calls for a bunch of people performing manual labor. A human, by the way, is good for about 1/4 horsepower. A comparable motor weighs about 7 pounds.

It's also designed in the stupidest way possible. Seriously, you can't apply logic to 40k.

>> No.31929664

>>31929590
>you can't apply logic to 40k
In a good way. The Imperium, at least, has a complexity... complex, similar to Five Star Stories. There's lots of things they could do differently, and therefore more efficiently, but the way that they do do them is just how it is and how it's supposed to be.

>> No.31929715

>>31929590
Just pointing it out. That's fan art.

>> No.31929767

>>31929664
Five Star Stories is too fabulous to have to explain shit.

>> No.31929939

I think I'm pretty sick to death of hearing "He must be compensating for something herh herh herh..." whenever there's someone with a big sword/weapon/ship/whatever... like jesus fuck is it old already

>> No.31929966

>>31929939
Whatever you say, tinydick

>> No.31930043

>>31927243
>Did the Emperor have a small penis?
No one has seen the emperor's true form. He could be an enormous psychic penis for all we know.

>How realistic are big spaceship?
don't try and think about gothic realistically

>> No.31932286
File: 247 KB, 1001x440, 1397569225172.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
31932286

Does anyone have any info on Emperors Flagship?
It was explicitly mentioned in one of the HH books (the one where they fight the giant Ork) by name and it's described as fuckhuge.
There is also the fuckhuge vessel that Emperor used when he first came on Mars, but there is no mention that it is infact his flagship.

Do you think it was bigger than the Phalanx (the mobile chapter monastery of the Imperial Fists).

>> No.31932354
File: 300 KB, 833x269, Untitled-1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
31932354

>>31929345
There's this pic of a torpedo being loaded by manual laborers.

>> No.31932484
File: 1.19 MB, 1600x788, 1390632283190.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
31932484

>>31928718
>>31932286
That's it, Imperator Somnium.
But that excerpt is not from the HH books, so from where is it?

>> No.31932556

>>31928424
>>31929345
>>31932354
In Fire Warrior they had, as I remember, steam powered boarding craft that first shot an anchor to the target vessel and then the "boat" pulled itself to the vessel via a winch and cable.

But it was also said that it was an age old solution and considered to be utter shit, and the only reason they couldn't do better was because their fleet was on a tight budget and they couldn't get new fancy boarding crafts.

I suspect such cases are not THAT common and most ships are fairly automated, but that doesn't make good grimderp, so lets just have the exceptions where Saturn V sized torpedoes have to be loaded manually.

>> No.31932563

>>31932484
>But that excerpt is not from the HH books, so from where is it?
That's from Fear to Tread, pg. 188, so yes it totally is.

>> No.31932621
File: 1.08 MB, 1600x780, 1391011045446.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
31932621

>>31932563
Oh ok. I don't remember it though.
You would think that something as awesome and probably grim dark would have some info or at least art of it.
It's the same as Baneblades, one of the most awesome tanks in 40k and there is so little good art of them

>> No.31932643

>>31932621
Well, the Emperor being the Emperor he has actually TWO flagships, the other being a golden battle barge called the Bucephalus.

>> No.31933788

>>31927243
>using an Ambassador class ship to represent the Federation
I'm OK with this.

>> No.31934255
File: 1.29 MB, 2572x3647, Page14.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
31934255

>>31932354

Fall of damnos has the Nobilis (I forgot what class) have a gun crew of about 1500 with a dozen each gun and a whip guy

macragge's honor also shows this

>> No.31937980

>>31928718
>worrying about tidal waves on Terra
that one navigator family with a swimming pool will be right pissed

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action