Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Maintenance is complete! We got more disk space.
Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 1013 KB, 700x500, swords.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
31446252 No.31446252 [DELETED]  [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

Hey, this is a question for thise of you that have tried your hand at game design. How do you design a magic system without having to spent hours upon hours on writing spell lists?

Seems to me that you could do a reasonable system without those. I don't really find the idea of having them compelling, compared to a system that allows more flexibility and freedom. But I guess it still needs a bit more definition than "Try to do whatever, GM tells you how difficult it is."

>> No.31446320

With difficulty. The point of spell lists is that spells have explicitly defined effects so there's very little calculation you have to do to work out what a given thing will do, although possibly some looking things up is necessary.

If you want to ditch spell lists but still use a defined system for describing the effects spells have and how they are done, you are going to end up essentially having to take the time to make up a new detailed spell every time your wizard wants to cast a magic. The more rules-light the system and the less versatility magic has the more doable this becomes.

>> No.31446547

>>31446252
Savage worlds has a good solution imo; it has a list of effects (bolt) and a list of trappings (fire). Combine effect with trapping:get spell (firebolt).

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action