Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

/vt/ is now archived.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 300 KB, 484x799, untitled(10).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30122936 No.30122936 [DELETED]  [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

post tyranids:
-pics
-lists
-minis
-whinings
-fancodices
-whislistings

dumping some rare concepts from an italian player because I promised to an anon long time ago

>> No.30122953
File: 480 KB, 324x798, untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30122953

>>30122936

>> No.30122971
File: 248 KB, 584x506, v4crcm.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30122971

>>30122953

>> No.30122991
File: 710 KB, 605x800, untitled(13).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30122991

>>30122971

>> No.30123006
File: 532 KB, 792x800, untitled(12).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30123006

>>30122991

>> No.30123033
File: 505 KB, 338x799, untitled(11).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30123033

>>30123006

>> No.30123065
File: 379 KB, 600x800, untitled(9).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30123065

>>30123033

>> No.30123105
File: 969 KB, 688x800, untitled(8).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30123105

>>30123065

>> No.30123129

What if we removed Instinctive Behavior and make a Synapse a straight up Units in Synapse are Fearless?

>> No.30123130
File: 773 KB, 600x800, untitled(7).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30123130

>>30123105

>> No.30123180

>>30123129
instinctive behaviour is ok, its been fine in all editions tbh except now that half our troop choices will turn on eachtoher wiping out like a 3rd of the squad then running off the board

>> No.30123219
File: 205 KB, 546x540, untitled(6).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30123219

>>30123105
removing IB would be unfluffy and sad
yes it is crippling, but it's what makes our bugs OUR
I think
I would prefer more insidious IB tables with a huge point drop in non synaptic unit personally

>> No.30123259
File: 722 KB, 2560x2370, 1360633311900.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30123259

Posted this in the list thread but nobody gave me an opinion on it.

2k of Tyranids.

HQ

>Swarmlord ~ 285
>-----3x Tyrant Guard /w Scything Talons ~ 150
>Flyrant /w 2x Twin-linked Devourers and Desiccator Larvae (thorax) ~ 240

Elites

>1x Venomthrope ~ 45
>1x Venomthrope ~ 45
>2x Zoanthrope ~ 100

Troops

>25x Hormagaunts ~ 120
>30x Termagaunt Brood, 20x Fleshborers / 10x Devourers ~ 160
>1x Tervigon /w Dominion and The Norn Crown ~ 235
>5x Broodlord Brood ~ 130
>-----1x Broodlord /w The Horror

Heavy

>Tyrannofex /w Regen ~ 205
>Tyrannofex /w Regen ~ 205
>2x Biovores ~ 80

Total: 2000


Strategy: Swarmlord surrounded by hormagaunts will push forward with a venomthrope and two Tyrannofexes, keeping both of them in play and having a nice 3+ cover save from the venomthrope, in addition to automatic look-out-sirs. Flyrant will harass enemy flyers and will be my mobile mid-to-backfield synapse, not using the Flyrant as an aggressive attacker, more like a mid-field buffer that can deal with any deepstriking or flying surprises my opponent throws at me. Devilgaunts and Broodlord brood will collect objectives while the Tervigon with it's nice 18-24" synapse keeps them under control, likely with itself hiding in cover with the second venomthrope. Zoanthropes will be my primary anti-tank while also serving as mid-field synapse, just in case the tervigon dies. Biovores will chill in a ruin with the tervigon and drop spores everywhere.

>> No.30123262
File: 349 KB, 617x600, untitled(5).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30123262

>>30123219
and by more insidious I mean without the stupid 6's results and lesser lds on the units
though feed needs a complete rewrite

>> No.30123280

>>30123259
As much as I like the swarmlord and want to use him, I find a flyrant 9/10 is more useful, the swarmlord will likely never see combat or will see it so late game due to kiting etc... that he just isn't worth his point cost... which saddens me

>> No.30123287
File: 78 KB, 346x494, untitled(4).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30123287

>>30123262

>> No.30123308

>>30123262
Feed just needs to be how it use too, causing our stuff to rush forward in a frenzy to attack the nearest enemy, this actually made hormgaunts better out of synapse

>> No.30123329

>>30123287
I remember when Red Terror was a giant beast, in fluff would swallow groups of men whole, looked terrifying in the pictures... now just a ravener

>> No.30123373

>>30123329
Yeah, it does seem really silly that they actually added rules for him. I thought the Red Terror was a lot more interesting when nobody knew what it was, because it everybody that saw it.

>But now, just a Ravener

>> No.30123374 [SPOILER] 
File: 1.72 MB, 2592x1936, base1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30123374

>>30123280
He's mostly meant to be a tanky guaranteed 18" synapse unit that the Tyrannofex's don't need to run every turn to keep up with.

That and I got him a special-ordered base and I want to use him, despite his points. Pic related, albeit its more finished now.

Aside from the usual "moar flyrants less footslogger" advice, anything else?

>> No.30123388
File: 585 KB, 800x600, untitled(3).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30123388

>>30123259
you've got double foc
use it to split the broods of biovores and zoanthropes

and I don't think you really need the crown on the tervi, dominion usually does the trick and you've got swarmy too

pics dump will be suspended for some time due to technical problems

>> No.30123391

>>30123373
>because it ate everybody that saw it

It even ate my words.

>> No.30123427

>>30123374
As a massive nid fan I commend you for using him over a flyrant. and that base gets me a tyranid hard on haha

>> No.30123434

>>30123373
As I recall him from 3E, he used to be a proto-Mawloc.

Of course, now we have the mawloc.

>> No.30123470

>>30123434
I prefer to think the red terror is some sorta giant mutated mawloc

>> No.30123588

>>30123434
Indeed, although, in 4th edition, it mentioned that he might have been smaller, but nobody really knew.

It's just a shame that 'Nids kept a boring unit like that

>it's a Ravener with a really big mouth!

and lost really a really neat unit like

>a Shrike that acts like one of those spider-killing wasps by implanting enemy Sergeants with Ripper Swarms

But oh well.

>> No.30123603

>>30123373
I kinda like the role it has now
ravener prime/link between ravener trygon and mawloc

from a bg point, I like thinking that the swarm that attacked the mine world was all based around its genes

I would like to have an upgraded "devour whole" biomorph available to trygons and mawlocs too tough

>> No.30123655

>>30123388
Good call, thanks!

Swarmy will be pushing up into my opponent's field, and I had points to spare, so I thought i'd might as well guarantee a nice synapse coverage.

>> No.30123883

>>30123655
one last thing:
why the desiccator larvae?
shred/rending and lighting fart both are more useful, a 2+ on everything when you've got devourers is a bit redundant

>> No.30123990

>>30123883
another last thing:
fleshborers vs spike rifles
same point cost, same role (saturation)
but the second one has 18"
and match better with devs
try them, they're good (for a gaunt's weapon)

>> No.30124091

>>30123883
Point dump, didn't have anything else to spend it on, couldn't afford another decent unit.

>>30123990
Good idea, i'll definitely use that.

>> No.30124104

>>30122971
>>30122991

Are these concepts official GW artwork or is this "fan-made"?

>> No.30124199

>>30124091
shreddershards bettles or electroshock grubs are better and cost the same
that's what I meant
>>30124104
fan made

>> No.30124268

>>30124199

Anyone know the artist?

I'd like to try and contact him for some work.

>> No.30124459

>>30124268
gimme a second

>> No.30124589
File: 717 KB, 800x600, untitled(2).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30124589

rounddump2: electroshock grubs boogaloo
>>30124268
[email protected]
try here

>> No.30124700

>>30124589
>[email protected]

It's a trap.

>> No.30124840

>>30124700
he doesn't do commissions for a living and warhammer is just a hobby
I think that his e-mail is mostly used for his main job

>> No.30124944
File: 228 KB, 577x471, tyranid.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30124944

>>30124840

Hmm. I wanted to see if I could commission him to do some concepts for me, or if he'd be interested in selling this one (see attached pic).

>> No.30125044

>>30124944
nothing stops you from asking him

>> No.30125133

>>30123259
Revised list.

HQ

Swarmlord ~ 285
3x Tyrant Guard /w Scything Talons ~ 150
Flyrant /w 2x Twin-linked Devourers and Electroshock Grubs (thorax) ~ 240

Elites

1x Venomthrope ~ 45
1x Venomthrope ~ 45
1x Zoanthrope ~ 50
1x Zoanthrope ~ 50

Troops

25x Hormagaunts ~ 120
30x Termagaunt Brood, 20x Fleshborers / 10x Devourers ~ 160
1x Tervigon /w Dominion and The Norn Crown ~ 235
5x Broodlord Brood ~ 130
1x Broodlord /w The Horror

Heavy

Tyrannofex /w Regen ~ 205
Tyrannofex /w Regen ~ 205
1x Biovore ~ 40
1x Biovore ~ 40

2000

>> No.30125527
File: 1.16 MB, 960x1280, 2cq1n39.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30125527

>>30124589
fuck my slow connection

he's the guy who "inspired" hydracast's spore and doom

>> No.30125558
File: 1.15 MB, 1280x960, 6oemc3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30125558

>>30125527

>> No.30125580
File: 957 KB, 1280x960, 205v85t.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30125580

>>30125558

>> No.30125646
File: 642 KB, 800x600, untitled(1).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30125646

>>30125580

>> No.30125671
File: 109 KB, 800x600, untitled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30125671

>>30125646

>> No.30125746
File: 447 KB, 675x800, untitled 23.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30125746

>>30125671

>> No.30125772
File: 565 KB, 565x800, Tyrant guard classic.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30125772

>>30125746

>> No.30125792
File: 107 KB, 800x566, Tyranids heads and broodlord.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30125792

>>30125772

>> No.30125815
File: 358 KB, 583x762, ravener prime.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30125815

>>30125792

>> No.30125841
File: 877 KB, 1280x960, oldoneeye.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30125841

>>30125815

>> No.30125865
File: 102 KB, 800x566, Old screamer killer and lictor.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30125865

>>30125841

>> No.30125889
File: 103 KB, 800x566, 1391979280616.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30125889

>>30125865

>> No.30125920
File: 363 KB, 1536x2048, old one eye.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30125920

>>30125889

>> No.30125957
File: 74 KB, 600x800, Mycetic spore.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30125957

>>30125920

>> No.30125991
File: 61 KB, 800x600, Lictor.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30125991

>>30125957

>> No.30126007
File: 51 KB, 600x800, Lictor mantis limb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126007

>>30125991

>> No.30126029
File: 82 KB, 600x800, Lictor head.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126029

>>30126007

>> No.30126050
File: 355 KB, 529x816, inuwye.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126050

>>30126029

>> No.30126067
File: 57 KB, 600x800, Hive Tyrant.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126067

>>30126050

>> No.30126095
File: 1.08 MB, 960x1280, hive ship inside.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126095

>>30126067

>> No.30126116
File: 229 KB, 666x544, harpy head.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126116

>>30126095

>> No.30126133
File: 462 KB, 606x800, guard.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126133

>>30126116

>> No.30126159
File: 904 KB, 1280x960, gaunt with unknown biomorph.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126159

>>30126133

>> No.30126199
File: 307 KB, 600x800, fw3q4i.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126199

>>30126159

>> No.30126217

>>30123427
A "massive nid fan" would not be a fan of the retarded creation of Cruddace's that is the Swarmlord.

>> No.30126221
File: 128 KB, 800x566, doom of malan'tai III.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126221

>>30126199

>> No.30126271
File: 41 KB, 448x447, 12352Carnifex.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126271

>>30126007
I've got some old Nid artwork I'll dump too. Shame about the latest codex. Utterly uninspiring.

>> No.30126290
File: 85 KB, 800x566, doom of malan'tai II.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126290

>>30126221
>>30126217
the swarmlord is not bad
cruddace fluff is not bad in general, bland yes, but not wrong as some shit that happened in ward's necrons and gray knights
but his rules
his GODDAM rules though

>> No.30126305
File: 78 KB, 512x715, ht1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126305

>>30126271

>> No.30126329
File: 87 KB, 709x512, tg1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126329

>>30126305

>> No.30126354
File: 65 KB, 709x512, tg2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126354

>>30126329

>> No.30126357

>>30126290
The Swarmlord is fucking awful and thinking otherwise just shows a lack of knowledge about Tyranid fluff.

How can there be a unique Hive Tyrant? How can there be a unique everything? If they can spawn one, they can just spawn more of the same. If its mind exists in one brain, they can clone that brain for others. Every Tyranid that is sent or spawned planetside is dissolved in acid at the end of an invasion and regrown from scratch with new adaptations aboard the Hive Ships afterwards.

There cannot be a recurring special character for 'nids.

>> No.30126385
File: 73 KB, 512x715, tg4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126385

>>30126354
I prefer this style of Tyrant Guard and wish the plastics had come out more like this one.

>> No.30126394
File: 341 KB, 591x591, deb9r9.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126394

>>30126290
>>30126271
nice
this codex is a massive flop and gw knows it
they had to do it because of the legal actions they had

some pics are good, first page for example, or the massive nids vs orks battle (the only that made me love the look of the new harpies: bombing flying whales)
I like the little works like the extended jaws all over the book, but it ends here

hope we get something new soon

>> No.30126418

>>30126357
>The Swarmlord is fucking awful and thinking otherwise just shows a lack of knowledge about Tyranid fluff.
>How can there be a unique Hive Tyrant? How can there be a unique everything?

Ignoring Old One Eye
Ignoring The Red Terror
Claiming to be an expert on Tyranid fluff

Fail much?

>> No.30126432
File: 91 KB, 732x826, BorgQueen2373.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126432

>>30126357

Hey, it worked for Star Trek

>> No.30126453
File: 70 KB, 719x512, tg5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126453

>>30126385
Can't tell if this was supposed to be a tyrant guard or a lictor variant.

>> No.30126475

Anyone have a DL link for the new Nid Codex?

>> No.30126477
File: 73 KB, 712x512, bl1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126477

>>30126453
The Brood Lard - I like the idea, but the metal mini was just plain awful.

>> No.30126500

>>30126453

It says Tyrant Guard in the upper left corner.

>> No.30126505
File: 83 KB, 708x512, bl2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126505

>>30126477
I like this design, and the plastic Space Hulk Brood Lord mini better.

>> No.30126516
File: 334 KB, 711x612, crushing claws.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126516

>>30126394
>>30126394
think of them like higly specialized brood
not tyrants with personalities, because absolutely nothing points in that direction in the fluff, this part has been built mainly by the fanbase
and following your line of thought there wouldn't be fleshborer gaunts because devourer gaunts are always better

it's a matter of necessity and resources
and it's unlikely that every fleet has the possibility to spawn the most developed strain every time

>> No.30126523

>>30126418
Old One Eye and the Red Terror only ever appeared once, on Calth and Devlan Prime respectively. The fluff in the third edition Codex even heavily implies that if you are running them in missions that aren't historical recreations of those battles, you are basically just running them as some other special creature that happens to be similar.

Also, the fourth edition Codex removed both of them entirely, and had no special characters for 'nids, the way it should have been, because the same author who created them realized it made more sense not to have them. They only returned because Cruddace is a fucking moron.

The failure is all yours.

>> No.30126528

>>30126500
Granted, I know what the label says. It's more the fact that visually it looks more related to the Lictor than any of the existing TGuard models.

>> No.30126546
File: 66 KB, 800x600, complete carnifex.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126546

>>30126516
fuck me
I wanted to answer >>30126357

>> No.30126571
File: 63 KB, 800x600, carnifex.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126571

>>30126546

>> No.30126573

>>30126516
Devourers do not have Armor Penetration. They are still, mathematically speaking, strictly better on the table, but table rules =/= fluff. ESPECIALLY in the Cruddexes, which threw all the fluff out the window and shit all over everything that used to be interesting about Tyranids.

>> No.30126589
File: 69 KB, 600x800, 1391981333296.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126589

>>30126571

>> No.30126644

>>30126528

Except those are folded wings, not claws.

>> No.30126647

>>30126523
>They only returned because Cruddace is a fucking moron.

They returned because GW *HAD METAL MODELS FOR THEM* and oddly enough GW is minis sales company. Now that GW has plastic kits that contain easy conversion bits for both 'Old One Eye' in the Fex kit, and plastic Ravenors - gee, it's a huge 'shock' (only to the clue impaired) that GW would bring back these 'unique' characters in Nid fluff that have been around for ages.

>> No.30126689
File: 59 KB, 705x512, bl3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126689

>>30126589
Nice - haven't seen that design before. The artists came up with a number of alternate B.L. heads

>> No.30126691
File: 1.04 MB, 1280x960, arpia.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126691

>>30126573
>>30126589
lets put it this way then
why are there normal devourers if the hive can spawn them with brainleeches?
it's a matter of resources as I said
the swarmlord represents a specialised tyrant brood developed to overcome enemy tactics as the codex says, there's no need to produce more than one, and is plausible to think that the psychic energy channeled to spawn it is the resource the hive fleet can't rely on everytime

it's a bit stupid to have tyranids special characters, as it is to have fleshborers with clips
but it's not TOTALLY stupid, just a bit

>> No.30126712
File: 58 KB, 706x512, bl4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126712

>>30126689
And a few more

>> No.30126722
File: 135 KB, 800x608, 2014_02_09_17_14_09.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126722

>>30126691
>mfw cruddex

>> No.30126736
File: 669 KB, 711x800, 2014_02_08_17_12_13.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126736

>>30126722
>insert complain to gw here then send them

>> No.30126768
File: 307 KB, 561x800, 2014_02_07_20_42_59.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126768

>>30126736
>>30126573
forgot my last argumentation
>rule of cool

>> No.30126783

>>30126691
Devourers with brainleeches are a Cruddex creation. It used to be that those sorts of weapons on larger Tyranid creatures were more powerful simply because they were scaled up in size to match. Tyranids do not lack for resources.

You are just further proving my point that Cruddace cannot write rules for shit that match up with the fluff.

>>30126647
Yeah, metal models that were made for 3rd fucking edition. By your same argument, they should make a special character that uses the old Alien Queen headcrest Hive Tyrant model so they can sell more of those, too. You're an idiot.

>> No.30126786
File: 213 KB, 600x800, 2014_02_07_16_20_54.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126786

>>30126768

>> No.30126806

>>30126453
>Flying tyrant guard
WHY IS THIS NOT IN THE CODEX

>> No.30126857
File: 175 KB, 600x800, 2014_02_07_16_19_55.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126857

>>30126786

>> No.30126863

>>30126722
That should be the cover image for the 6th Edition Codex.

>> No.30126948
File: 330 KB, 800x526, 2014_02_01_18_50_04.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126948

>>30126806
because they make no fucking sense
they're heavy shields, making ones that fly is just silly
>>30126783
ok a simplier one: why can't every synaptic warrior be a psyker if the hive doesn't lack resources

why can't every gaunt be a scaled down tyrant then?

your logic won't lead in any diversity or fun in the end

>> No.30126975
File: 227 KB, 706x800, 2014_02_01_14_31_35.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30126975

>>30126948

>> No.30127000

>>30126948
Because intelligent brains are complex and simpler creatures can be spawned more easily in greater numbers.

That still doesn't justify the Swarmlord. A Hive Tyrant is a fucking Hive Tyrant, they are all rare and highly intelligent.

>> No.30127014
File: 210 KB, 717x800, 2014_01_28_18_47_47.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30127014

>>30126975
>biomortars
for the next beast

>> No.30127062

>>30126768
Except the Swarmlord is only cool to manchildren and 12 year olds.

ITS THIS SUPER SPESHUL TYRANT THAT USES FOUR SORDS. BECAUSE SORDS.

>> No.30127125

>>30126783
>Yeah, metal models that were made for 3rd fucking edition. By your same argument, they should make a special character that uses the old Alien Queen headcrest Hive Tyrant model so they can sell more of those, too. You're an idiot.

Nice attempt at a 'straw-man' argument there. At least you're consistent with the 'fail' part. The Old One Eye metal model and Red Terror did NOT run afoul of intellectual property rights issues like the 'Alien' Head on the 3rd Edition tyrant. GW had no reason to remove them from sales other than they were still wrangling in court when the 4th edition codex was released. Considering GW's rather stunning lack of legal ability when it comes to copy-right issues, it wasn't a surprise to anyone that they err'd on the side of caution at that time. And then later re-release them for sale once the legal issues were fully resolved. Which is exactly what they did. Meanwhile unimaginative autists like you get butt-hurt about it. No where in the Tyranid fluff does it state that the Hive Mind is unable to create 'unique' characters / organisms. Simply that the Hive Mind typically does not do so because the individual creatures are simply part of the larger hive fleet as a whole.

>> No.30127130
File: 300 KB, 800x600, 2jcujb.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30127130

>>30127000
>Because intelligent brains are complex and simpler creatures can be spawned more easily in greater numbers
the swarmlord is simply the most complex brain around he's the tactician
not all tyrants are the same
some could be spawn to fight tau, then the hive mind can just delete the part about fighting space marines in its brain and save resources
some brains are overloaded with informations and are more complex and rare
then some are tyrants are swarmlord tier complex

>>30127014
>pic related: modern dactylis

>> No.30127178
File: 262 KB, 1238x916, 1387845928144.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30127178

>>30127062
>BECAUSE SORDS
FUCK YEAH SORDS!

>> No.30127203
File: 60 KB, 640x512, tg6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30127203

>>30126712
Alternate Tyrant Guard heads

>> No.30127206

>>30127125

What legal issues are you referring to about the Hive Tyrant head? I never heard of that before.

>> No.30127213
File: 227 KB, 800x600, 2ebz4ba.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30127213

>>30127130

>> No.30127245
File: 78 KB, 512x732, tg8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30127245

>>30127203

>> No.30127246

>>30127062
So kind of like people who like flyrants with dakka are WAAC faggits?
>Assumptions

>> No.30127278
File: 235 KB, 600x800, 2014_01_28_15_25_51.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30127278

>>30127213
who likes insects' wings?

me neither

>> No.30127314
File: 346 KB, 606x800, 30tia7p.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30127314

>>30127246

>> No.30127318
File: 180 KB, 660x842, Big Bugs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30127318

>>30127206
GW and H.R. Geiger's estate had some 'legal issues' over the similarity between the 3rd Edition Tyrant's head and the Alien Queen's head in the Aliens movie. Geiger's estate ended up making GW stop using that design.

Pic related - it's the model in question

>> No.30127350
File: 299 KB, 600x800, 15q6ckn.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30127350

>>30127314

>> No.30127391
File: 1.05 MB, 1280x960, 13zdd0i.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30127391

>>30127318
why are warriors the same then?

>> No.30127394

>>30127130
>not all tyrants are the same
Exactly.

There are generic hive tyrants, and then there are specialized Hive Tyrants.
The Devourer was a Hive tyrant so impossibly tough that it would shrig off Strength D weapons and needed an ancient cursed weapon that literally devours souls just to be hurt.

the Dagon Overlord is a hive tyrant who's mere presence causes an entire planet to become overrun with fear and dread, and he specifically makes a hobby of literally hunting down space marine Deathwatch's.

The Swarmlord is merely the Tactical Genius and Melee Powerhouse specialized variant.

>> No.30127397
File: 56 KB, 512x731, tg7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30127397

>>30127245

>> No.30127422
File: 257 KB, 608x655, 11blypy.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30127422

>>30127391

>> No.30127448
File: 333 KB, 800x600, 5qxzt.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30127448

>>30127422
>space hulk

>> No.30127462

>>30127318

Which is a myth.

Giger and GW never went to any legal battle over the Hive Tyrant. There were some very minor legal isues early on in the development of the Tyranids (around the Space Hulk/Adv Space Crusade era) but they never went anywhere because the GW designs were "significantly different" to the Giger designs.

The Hive Tyrant was discontinued and resculpted in plastic for two main reasons:

It was expensive in metal to produce and their margins weren't very good due to the molds for several parts not lasting very long.

The second was that GW had already implemented their plan to move the range over to plastics. Many of the kits being redesigned at the time were the ones that either had large metal parts or parts where the molds didn't last very long (due to tearing or burn out).

>> No.30127493
File: 226 KB, 502x722, 2u7x40j.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30127493

>>30127448

>> No.30127520
File: 74 KB, 600x790, alienqueen.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30127520

>>30127391
Probably because the estate didn't challenge GW on that kit. It's my understanding they went specifically after the Hive Tyrant with the argument that GW was effectively cashing in on the 'Aliens' franchise reputation and iconography on that kit specifically to make sales. After all, the warrior heads don't really look like the alien drone heads.

>> No.30127550

>>30127125
You are literally the one strawmanning here with this legal argument bullshit. You can replace the 3rd ed Hive Tyrant model with any other discontinued 3rd ed Tyranid model and my argument still stands, exactly the same.

You have literally had to change your argument twice now to try and explain why it isn't retarded that 'nids have special characters, first getting schooled on fluff, and now making some floundering attempt at saying it was a good marketing choice, which is laughably stupid.

>> No.30127551
File: 125 KB, 800x697, 2q313ed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30127551

>>30127493

>> No.30127601
File: 43 KB, 530x376, image_3c0a700fe[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30127601

>>30127318
>GW and H.R. Geiger's estate had some 'legal issues' over the similarity between the 3rd Edition Tyrant's head and the Alien Queen's head in the Aliens movie.
Which Geiger did not even design.

James Cameron designed the alien queen personally.

Pic related, this is what he drew.

>> No.30127604

>>30127550

His argument is flawed to begin with since there was no "legal battle" between GW and Giger.

Giger tried but his lawyers said that the GW designs were too different to his Alien designs and they only drew inspiration from them, not copying them.

>> No.30127611
File: 1.07 MB, 1280x960, 2m2yr9g.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30127611

>>30127520
>the warrior heads don't really look like the alien drone heads.
but they do look like the hive queen's

>> No.30127663

>>30127550
I'm pretty sure insults isn't an argument. Just throwing that out there.

>> No.30127681

>>30127462
>Which is a myth.
>Giger and GW never went to any legal battle over the Hive Tyrant. There were some very minor legal isues early on in the development of the Tyranids (around the Space Hulk/Adv Space Crusade era) but they never went anywhere because the GW designs were "significantly different" to the Giger designs.

1. I never said it was a 'legal battle' - I in fact used the words 'legal issue'.

2. Looking at the 3rd edition Tyranid head and the Alien Queen head - it would be a toss of the dice as to which way a jury might rule considering the visual similarities.

>The Hive Tyrant was discontinued and resculpted in plastic for two main reasons:

Except this is WRONG! The next Tyrant released was a full metal mini. I have a copy of it sitting on my shelf. Which means that GW went to the time, effort, and expense to make metal molds. The master of said mini was then used as the basis for a resin release, and then finally plastic. I would not disagree in the least that plastic is the better alternative, but GW certainly did NOT jump from the 3rd edition metal 'Alien Queen' tyrant straight to the plastic Tyrant we have now.

>> No.30127687
File: 180 KB, 598x408, 1z1fqy1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30127687

>>30127601
>hive queen playing an invisible piano
noice


ok guys my dump of gabrityranid's tyranids artworks end here
but you should totally see his nurgle cultists too
that guy is a god with the pencil

>> No.30127753

>>30127663
Good thing my post had actual substance that does constitute an argument in addition to calling you an idiot.

But resorting to crying about false Ad Hominem pretty much confirms that you have nothing else to say.

>> No.30127868

>>30127681
>Except this is WRONG!

I was referring to both of them. I didn't word myself properly.

Since I was the moldmaking/casting manager for GW at the time I know the reasons for it being discontinued had nothing to do with any legal issues.

If there were, I would have been informed.

I would have had to either pack up the masters, molds etc for the model t be turned over or destroy them and sign legal paperwork stating they had been.

None of that happened. We still had all the materials for the old one and new one.

There was never any legal issues that made GW discontinue the old Hive Tyrant.

It's an internet myth that people just keep wanting to believe.

>> No.30127882
File: 52 KB, 450x598, P1010087.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30127882

>>30127753
so YOU don't like nids' special characters because YOU think they're stupid
and always YOU say that YOU think the tyrant got back to its previous concept because of some unsaucable legal issue

I fail to see an objective argument here

>> No.30127936

>>30127663
Don't bother - he knew he lost when he started using fallacies of logic like his 'straw-man' argument trying to associate my argument with something else.

>> No.30127995

>>30127868
I have no way to verify your "I worked for GW" comment so I'll accept that at face value. What I do know as fact was that GW went from 3rd Edition metal to 4th Edtion Metal, to resin, and then finally to plastic which is a good bit different that 3rd to plastic which was the implication of your post that I replied to.

>> No.30128007

>>30127882
What? The other dude was the one who made up the legal issue horseshit. I think you have the posts confused.

>> No.30128039

>>30127882
>and always YOU say that YOU think the tyrant got back to...
I can't even read this what is this guy trying to say

>> No.30128071
File: 69 KB, 520x441, hive_tyrant.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30128071

>>30127882
You've pretty much summed up his argument...
"Waaaahhh! Stop liking what I don't like! Just because the long established back story isn't 100% consistent means I can ignore the parts I don't like and tell you you're wrong for liking it too."

>> No.30128087
File: 80 KB, 714x512, bl6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30128087

>>30128071
more brood lord

>> No.30128107
File: 76 KB, 720x512, bl7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30128107

>>30128087

>> No.30128125

>>30128071
Good job on reading comprehension.

My argument was that Cruddace can't write fluff for shit. Saying that the backstory is not consistent when you combine his trash with the old 'nid fluff is actually proving my point.

>> No.30128134
File: 61 KB, 712x512, bl8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30128134

>>30128107

>> No.30128166
File: 144 KB, 1282x962, pic 3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30128166

>>30127995

You are right, I did forget about the last metal one that was used as the basis for the new plastic.

But the legal issues you are referring to really are just a myth. They never went anywhere.

To be more specific, the older Tyrant with the Alien head was discontinued because it didn't fit into the new design aesthetic of the redesigned Tyranid range and the molds for the body kept burning out from the heat, which increased it manufacturing cost and reduced the margins for sales.

It was still sold online through Direct Sales for several years, even while the newer metal Tyrant was available. It was only fully discontinued when the bits range was stopped.

The newer metal one was discontinued for both mold-life reasons and GW had implented their changeover to a plastic range.

I know people can claim anything on the internet, but I did manage the department for GW for 9 years.

I know it's not definitive proof, but here's a pic I took of the department when we were in Memphis.

I'm just trying to get more accurate information out there, rather than rumors.

>> No.30128208

>>30127753
Do you really want to argue with two people at once? I mean, fine if you don't like something, but maybe you shouldn't be calling people idiots just because they're not you. I makes you look bad.

Swarmlord (and Parasite and Doom) was 5th Ed. Not all of these came back in 6th. The simplest reason seems most likely - no models (remember the Chapterhouse thing?).

Now, Red Terror and OOE were 3E - but this is also the edition which had the mutable genus rules. Personally, I interpreted it as OOE/RT being variations of existing creatures (Ravener and Carnifex). It makes sense for hive fleets to recreate successful creatures whenever possible.

Swarmlord is presented in (5E and DoW 2 Retribution) fluff as a departure from this, but frankly I'll go with "This is what the Imperium thinks", "It's a costly recreation of a successful creature" or even "Cruddace is a dumbass".

The way I see it, it's usually less demanding to pump out a bunch of warriors or a standard template hive tyrant than a Swarmlord, OOE, Red Terror etc - because the Hive Fleets haven't quite hashed out the genetic blueprints yet, or if they can be made more efficient. Jsut me specualting here, of course. The Hive Fleets don't seem to be acting under some kind of intelligent design as such, imho, but more like evolution sped up. In other words, if something works well, it'll keep using it, with little modification, until it runs into a situation where it doesn't work.

And, well, drowning enemy's in bodies is a pretty decent strategy if you've got the biomass. Tyranids have the biomass.

So IMHO, "unique" bioforms fine, I just interpret them as being resource-demanding custom jobs.

>> No.30128216

>>30128125
And yet again - multiple people have pointed out that 'unique character' Tyranids have been around in the Tyranid fluff since BEFORE Cruddace ever started working on any Tyranid codex. Attempting to use 'Cruddace writes shitty backstory for Nids' in no way bolsters your argument that 'unique organisms' don't belong in the Tyranid back story.

>> No.30128238

>>30128039
sorry
I'm not good with english
basically I wanted to point out that that guy's argument is nothing but a personal opinion not supported by facts
>>30128071
what he said

>> No.30128288

>>30128071
no. You can't read.

His argument was that having special characters is directly against the pre-crud nid fluff.

And if tactical genius is so important: Why couldn't the hive spawn a swarmlord with a Venom Cannon? Or maybe quad devourers, or wings, or a fucking 2+ armour save? You know... anything that makes sense in keeping such a tyrant alive. It can do it with any other hive tyrant, and the bigger head shouldn't be too much of an aerodynamic issue either..

>> No.30128329
File: 57 KB, 711x512, tg3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30128329

>>30128166
Holy Shiz! Dat's a lot of Master Molds...

Fair enough on the 3rd Edition head - I only heard indirect rumblings about Geiger's estate.

As for the metal to plastic - thank goodness. I'll take the plastic over the metal, and the metal over the resin 'Failcast' stuff any day.

>> No.30128350
File: 29 KB, 280x234, 1391985781571.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30128350

>>30127868
I always figured the 4E metal Tyrant was basically because they figured a remade 2E design would look better than the 3E one.

And it does, IMHO. I mean, I like the FW Flyrant version, but the regular one isn't really all that great. 2E Tyrant looked cooler, if too small in the world of 3E and 4E. 4E Metal Tyrant, as much as I hate it for being metal (and that's just my subjective opinion of metal miniatures due to pinning and paint chipping) looks like an updated 2E Tyrant - just a bit bigger and better.

Though the Carnifex to Tyrant conversions some people did was understandable, pre-plastic tyrant.

>> No.30128410

>>30128350
>banana clip venom cannon
>stopmydickcanonlygetsoerect.jpg

>> No.30128495

>>30128288
>His argument was that having special characters is directly against the pre-crud nid fluff.

Yes, that exactly what I stated, and again the 3rd Edition codex has 'special characters' like Old One Eye, and 'The Red Terror' which directly contradict that statement.

As for open ended questions like 'Why couldn't the hive spawn a Swarmlord with a venom cannon?' - sorry, but that isn't proof that the Hive Mind can't do something simply that hasn't done that thing in the past. It's a fallacy. It's like arguing that 'Mankind will never build a Nuclear Submarine because mankind wasn't doing so in the 1800's when Jules Verne wrote Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea' which is arguably a story about a nuclear sub in the age of wooden ships and sail power.

>> No.30128521

>>30128216
And I already addressed that argument.

Out of three editions, 2nd through 4th, there were only two special 'nid characters, that were NOT recurring. They appeared one time, each.

In the next (4th ed) Codex, by the same author, they were removed. There were no special characters whatsoever in the last pre-Cruddex.

And then Cruddace fucked it all up when he took over, along with pretty much everything else for two straight editions now.

Then the same autist who tried to argue that the fluff supported special characters changed his argument to being that they were added back in to sell models. Models that had no rules for all of 4th edition, and were 8-9 years dated by the time the Cruddex rolled around. I pointed out that his argument is basically the same as saying they should have made special characters for the old Hive Tyrant model and then he made up some story about how they didn't do that because Giger sued GW for infringement (lulz), and someone else stepped in to explain that that was bullshit.

TLDR; Cruddace is fucking retarded and yes, you are retarded for liking his fluff, which includes trash like the Swarm Lord etc.

>> No.30128556 [SPOILER] 
File: 7 KB, 225x224, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30128556

>>30128288
>Why couldn't the hive spawn a swarmlord with a Venom Cannon? Or maybe quad devourers, or wings, or a fucking 2+ armour save?
for the same reason we can't have nice things
because GW decided that way

>> No.30128566

>>30128350
As an aside, I actually have a 2E, a 3E and a Swarmlord (plastic) kit. I had a metal 4E tyrant box at some point, never assembled it - not sure whether I sold it or if it's at the bottom of my ebay box (I don't play much).

I also have a 2E lictor. It's a gloriously weird model.

What I don't like with the 3E models was that some of them don't look as good as the 2E ones. I mean, they did get the army look more uniform, and the gaunts were pretty much an upgrade, imho, but the 3E lictor is... Less impressive. IMHO. Liked the new warriors and zoanthropes, didn't like the guards or carnifex as much. It was a bit all over the place - 4E really did get the look fixed (mostly).

What I'd like is an updated version of the Screamer-Killer model. 2E carnifex, but fitting the modern look.

>> No.30128640

>>30128521 continued

To clarify, when I say non-recurring, I mean in the fluff. OOE and TRT each appeared on a single world. They weren't some kind of unique individual hopping from planet to planet and Hive Fleet to Hive Fleet for "tactical genius", which doesn't even make sense to begin with since ANY CREATURE that completely embodies the Hive Mind (ie all regular Hive Tyrants), which would include all the thoughts of said tactical genius, would be able transfer them through the synaptic web.

>> No.30128643
File: 190 KB, 1282x962, Pic 6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30128643

>>30128329
>Holy Shiz! Dat's a lot of Master Molds...

Those are the production molds, the master molds are to the left but you can't see them in the pic.

We had about 20,000 molds of models going all the way back to the old RTB range, Epic, Man o War, etc. Even hundreds of unreleased models like the Exodites, Adeptus Mechanicus Sonic tank and redesigned Squats.

Here's another view of one of the casting stations.

>> No.30128710
File: 656 KB, 467x663, kan ban system.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30128710

>>30128643

In this pic are the bins for the old metal Alien Head Hive Tyrant, with the molds stored above it.

>> No.30128827

>>30128566
I absolutely loved the 3E guards and hated the 4E ones. These new ones are meh.

>> No.30128840

>>30128640
>ANY CREATURE that completely embodies the Hive Mind (ie all regular Hive Tyrants), which would include all the thoughts of said tactical genius, would be able transfer them through the synaptic web.
can I have a source?
about the fact that tyrants embodies COMPLETELY the hive minds
and about the fact that every tyrants have the same informations encoded in its brain

because I'm sure that tyrants are ones of the most various broods
in looks
weapons
tactics
and knowledge

>> No.30128881

>>30128840
fuck my autocorrect that puts "s" everywhere

>> No.30129001

>>30128640
Fluffwise, OOE and TRT are done right - reported on one world, rumours of them appearing elsewhere.

That's all you need, really.

So it should've been something like:
"The first reported appearance of the Swarmlord was on --. (yada yada great lengths about it directing broken swarm, being menace, slain [by nuclear strike or something], etc)

Since then, survivors from worlds devoured by the Hive Fleets talk of a great beast of a hive tyrant, a malevolent presence in the warp overwhelming all who came too near it.

The Ordo Xenos places little stock in these rumours - the beast was confirmed slain centuries ago. What unnatural beast not of daemonic nature would exist beyond death?"

Hrm, not the greatest of texts and I think I got the Ordo wrong, but you get the gist of it, I think?

Basically, less is more, it's better with rumours and unknowns for an alien menace.

IMHO.

>> No.30129003

>>30128640
>They weren't some kind of unique individual hopping from planet to planet and Hive Fleet to Hive Fleet for "tactical genius"
oh noe
the hive mind cloned a succesfull DNA and infused it with all the knowledge it has
doing a PERFECTLY LOGICAL THING for once

>> No.30129029

>>30128521
Note: the swarmlord also sucks in DoW 2. Much easier to bring a VC carnifex.

>> No.30129077

>>30128521
>And I already addressed that argument.
>Out of three editions, 2nd through 4th, there were only two special 'nid characters, that were NOT recurring. They appeared one time, each.
>In the next (4th ed) Codex, by the same author, they were removed. There were no special characters whatsoever in the last pre-Cruddex.

Sorry, but the only one who's buying your 'they didn't re-occur - therefore they're not cannon' argument is YOU. There are NUMEROUS examples of items in various other codex that vanish and then show up again much later. Las/Plasma Razorbacks come to mind. And considering the number of Marine players who were very pissed when they converted their Las/Plasma Razors to other 'legal' versions only to have GW add them back into the Marine codex down the road - trying to argue that something didn't appear in version after version of the Tyranid codex doesn't cut it.

>And then Cruddace fucked it all up when he took over, along with pretty much everything else for two straight editions now.

I'm not arguing that Cruddace sucks donkey dick when it comes to writing Nid codex. Apparently he can not into Physics or Tyranids. It's all fine and good to say "I don't like that part of the back story" and "I'm not going to use it". But you come off like a complete dick when you argue that 'It only happened one time' (in a codex that you didn't loath) isn't really a winning argument. When you couch an argument in 'my special conditions apply and you all have to accept them without question' then you're cherry picking and not dealing with counter arguments.

>> No.30129101

>>30128827
3E guards were kind of a version of 2E warriors. It's partly why I didn't like them - felt they were based on 2E warrior design and the new warriors were made by a different guy and those two didn't do much work together.

If the 3E warriors had looked like (updated) 2E ones, it had been a bit less jarring.

Also, felt they were a bit monopose. Mind, the ones succeeding them were even worse, but I did like the whole brick wall feel of those ones. 3E guards looked a bit brittle to me.

>> No.30129207
File: 41 KB, 800x573, ConversioTyrant Guard.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30129207

>>30128827
>>30129101
Mind, don't think you're wrong.

Just would've liked them better with warriors being more like the 2E aesthetic.

Still waiting for a really satisfying guard design myself.

>> No.30129319

>>30128643
>redesigned squats
You motherfucker. I believed you up until this point.

....Can you at least tell me what they looked like?

>> No.30129346

>>30128640
>To clarify, when I say non-recurring, I mean in the fluff. OOE and TRT each appeared on a single world. They weren't some kind of unique individual hopping from planet to planet and Hive Fleet to Hive Fleet for "tactical genius",

Except the 3rd edition fluff implied that 'The Red Terror' might have been encountered on other worlds.

which doesn't even make sense to begin with since ANY CREATURE that completely embodies the Hive Mind (ie all regular Hive Tyrants), which would include all the thoughts of said tactical genius, would be able transfer them through the synaptic web.

By that line of reasoning, a Termigant or walnut brained Hormaguant would possess 'tactical genius' since they're linked to the Hive Mind. Yet long established fluff has always presented the concept that not all Nid minds connect equally to the Hive collective. It's why less creatures need Synapse creatures in the first place. Having a hive mind in no way precludes the ability of a unique individual from connecting to the hive mentality.

>> No.30129408

>>30128643
>redesigned Squats.
Pics or didn't happen.

>> No.30129436

>>30129319

There were 2 "Cyber slayers" and one Lord in Exo Armor.

There are pictures of them around, I also sold a bunch of them on Ebay back in 2008.

You can see pics of them here:

http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Squats_-_Unreleased

The guy who runs and maintains this page bought so much stuff from me when I left GW, I think about 1/3 of the unreleased, limited and special models he bought from me.

>> No.30129473

>>30129436
...Damnit. And they actually look neat, too.

>> No.30129568

>>30129436
Thanks for the link.

...I've now also found BFG Dark Eldar on that same site. Somehow, that's almost as bad.

>> No.30129574

>>30128643
>>30128710
So many unreleased models. I've seen so much unreleased Necromunda stuff I wondered where it was all coming from.

>>30129436
I remember seeing those.
Out of curiosity - how long did it take to do a 'run' of a given model? I'd image there would be multiple molds of the same kit to allow massed production.

>> No.30129577

>>30129473

You can still find them on Ebay occasionally, but be prepared to pay around $300 for them.

>> No.30129629
File: 72 KB, 512x728, L3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30129629

>>30128134
more Nids images in the image thread...

>> No.30129652
File: 54 KB, 512x732, L4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30129652

>>30129577
I've seen some of the rare unreleased Necromunda minis go for amazing / insane prices too.

>> No.30129688
File: 63 KB, 512x730, L5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30129688

>>30129436
Any thoughts on the rumored 'GW metal smelt-down' of old minis?

>> No.30129703

>>30129568
>.I've now also found BFG Dark Eldar

He has those mislabeled.

Those aren't Dark Eldar for BFG, they are Eldar vehicles for Epic. They were made around the late 90's but they only had a limited release.

>>30129574
>how long did it take to do a 'run' of a given model?

It depends on how many box sets needed to be made. We would make enough boxes to fill 1/2 a pallet. We didn't cast just parts for one box set at a time though, molds for several box sets would be on each casting station.

For Direct Sales it was easier, one spin of the mold was usually enough to fill any orders and get enough metal in the bins for stock.

>> No.30129719
File: 71 KB, 512x734, L6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30129719

>>30129688

>> No.30129745

>>30129703
Fair enough. I wondered why those looked more like fighters than the existing DE ships.

Any guesses as to whether they're planning on reviving BFG or not?

>> No.30129770
File: 78 KB, 512x728, L8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30129770

>>30129719

>> No.30129772

>>30129688

It's done and over. There is still some metal left, for a few currently available models, but everything else was reclaimed.

The metal casting dept in Lenton was reduced to a couple casting machines. They just don't have the demand to cast metal that they used to.

>> No.30129827

>>30129745
If GW had any sense, they'd hold Kickstarters for their 'Out Of Production' stuff like Necromunda and BFG. Odds are they'd do just fine like the folks from SJG did with Ogre, or Reaper's done twice now with their minis.

>> No.30129881
File: 64 KB, 512x735, rs3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30129881

>>30129772
Not surprised - it makes reasonable financial sense for them. Just nostalgic to see the end of an era. Personally I love the plastics.

>> No.30129906

>>30129745
>Any guesses as to whether they're planning on reviving BFG or not?

I haven't heard anything, but it's always possible it could come back as a box game like Dreadfleet or Space Hulk.

I do know that a number of people tried to get GW to license the rights to the older models so they could start a "GW Archive" company to support the older ranges and models but the Board felt it would detract sales from existing and new releases.

So the molds were destroyed for those older models. AFAIK the masters still exist, so there is still some hope that older models could come back (maybe).

>> No.30129923
File: 75 KB, 512x731, z1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30129923

>>30129881
Zoans...

>> No.30129952
File: 90 KB, 512x740, z2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30129952

>>30129923
This one gives a whole new meaning to the phrase 'shit eating grin'.

>> No.30129987
File: 69 KB, 512x737, z3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30129987

>>30129952
Pointy bits.

>> No.30130036
File: 70 KB, 512x728, z4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30130036

>>30129987
This seems like bad evolution - it'd get caught on every tree branch.

>> No.30130044

>>30123130
Best Zoan. (on the right)

resembles original, keeps floaty body thing without looking like a big floaty sperm

>> No.30130064
File: 83 KB, 512x734, z5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30130064

>>30130036
These next few seem like proto-types for the Doom perhaps?

>> No.30130100
File: 175 KB, 853x640, 1391989563105.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30130100

>>30130044
Agreed - I've got a couple of the 2nd & 3rd edition models. I could never get into the later 'big exposed brain bits' versions. They look like a small kid with a sling shot or a pointy stick could give them brain damage.

>> No.30130130
File: 78 KB, 512x730, z6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30130130

>>30130064
Zoans with their own comfy chair?

>> No.30130159
File: 76 KB, 512x735, z7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30130159

>>30130130
Shot me in the brain please edition

>> No.30130183
File: 64 KB, 512x739, rs1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30130183

>>30130159
Chibi rippers with legs?

>> No.30130214

>>30130183
>does this look like the face of mercy?

>> No.30130235

>>30129906
Again, if GW was worried about recouping initial production expenses - KS would be the way to go. They'd have a guaranteed order base and if it covered the initial production setup costs and had some extra for additional copies, they could re-release classics and not worry about getting burned by product that sits around.

>> No.30130258
File: 53 KB, 512x734, rs2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30130258

>>30130214
Maybe this? :)

>> No.30130290
File: 82 KB, 512x726, z8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30130290

>>30130258
How about a kiss there sugar? Maybe a little tongue too?

>> No.30130312
File: 19 KB, 340x283, Alien Skull big.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30130312

>>30130290
And I'm not sure what this is from by I like it.

>> No.30130454
File: 74 KB, 595x402, 18317.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30130454

>>30130312
Some of the old bio-vore shots

>> No.30130458

>>30130235

It had nothing to do with production expenses, we already had the masters and molds. All we would have to do it pull the mold and cast some parts up. We could have hundreds of parts cast in 15 minutes.

Most of the older models were discontinued because they detracted from sales of new product in the existing range.

Also, while the classic models are nice they really don't sell well. Out of the entire bits range, only the top 1500 parts sold well enough to justify their manufacturing cost, the rest would only sell 1-3 parts per year.

If a mold burned out for one of those other parts you couldn't justify spending $30-$120 to make a new mold for a model that only makes the company $15 in an entire year.

>> No.30130459
File: 268 KB, 1280x897, Plastic Zoanthrope.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30130459

>>30130100

I totally agree, and the fact that those metal models will tip over at the slightest hint of a breeze and then break in half didn't help them get away from the fragile stigma.

Anyway, I think you may enjoy it, so have a picture of my plastic conversion, that I've never posted since /tg/ can be kind of a harsh critic. Apologies about the shitty camera phone quality.

>> No.30130481
File: 73 KB, 595x392, 18316.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30130481

>>30130454

>> No.30130518

>>30130459
do you come from a land down under?

>> No.30130564

>>30130518
>>30130459
...The hell kind of sorcery?

The image I posted was right side up, just like the thumbnail...

Is this Hive Mind shenanigans?

>> No.30130570

>>30130458
>If a mold burned out for one of those other parts you couldn't justify spending $30-$120 to make a new mold for a model that only makes the company $15 in an entire year.

Granted - this I get. I'd love to see *new* Necromunda minis in multi-part plastic sets for example with new sculpts which would mean new molds. New plastic terrain / card stock & plastic terrain would be a plus too.

>> No.30130599

>>30130564
Ceiling Nid is watching you. That and 4chan does some crazy shiz with cell-phone images. At least it connected the right image to your post. I've had them show up with images from god knows where.

>> No.30130621
File: 49 KB, 600x545, Haruspexconcept.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30130621

>>30130481
All of my scorpion / spider hee-bee gee-bees right here...

>> No.30130663
File: 82 KB, 600x750, genestealer hug.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30130663

>>30130621
Where we were as a codex...

>> No.30130698
File: 22 KB, 443x599, Tyranid chicken.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30130698

>>30130663
Where we are now as a codex...

>> No.30130786

Am I the only one who instantly fell in love with that biovore?

>> No.30130806
File: 67 KB, 576x434, Ceiling Nid2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30130806

>>30130459
9000 Hours in Photochop! And it doesn't look bad - it's got armor protecting its important brain bits unlike many of the other designs.

>> No.30130843
File: 168 KB, 894x894, 1391991285533.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30130843

>>30130698
Alright - last one from me for a while. I don't know who the artist is, but I do like their work.

>> No.30130924

>>30130806
I can dig it, but is there a brain part on the back side of the head?

>> No.30130941

>>30130806
That is actually really cool.

I think I will make one. Correct me if my analysis is wrong.

Genestealer body. 2 Warrior crests, and one of those spiked carapace things for carnifex/tyrants? I don't know what the final piece on the front of the face is.

>> No.30130988

>>30130806
can we have some more pics? :)

>> No.30131081

>>30130924
>>30130941
>>30130988
This isn't my model - anon posted it from their cell phone and /tg/ turned it into (upside-down) ceiling nid. So I did a quick edit and re-posted it for Anon. Hopefully they're still around to answer your questions. (And yes, I think it's a Stealer body and definitely combined with 2 warrior head armor bits.)

>> No.30131272
File: 77 KB, 800x532, ZoanthropeFallen01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30131272

>>30130459

>> No.30131306

>>30130924
>>30130941
>>30130988
>>30131081

Hey, anon likes my little guy?

Even though he's a touch small for los purposes?

Sure, I'll take a few more pictures. Gimmie a sec and I'll try to get all the angles.

>> No.30131324

>>30127062
The only person acting like a 12 year old here is you.

In all fucking honesty.

>> No.30131425

zoanthrope has no arms.
>I know that feel
>thedespoiler.jpg

>> No.30131445

>>30131425
but zoans have itty bitty arms.

>> No.30131523
File: 619 KB, 1840x1524, IMG_0298.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30131523

While we're posting custom zoanthrope conversions, here is my Doom of Malan'tai.

I added the additional crest spines by chipping off the horns from two left-over tyrannofex heads. The blade on top of its crown is angled from the tyrannofex's chin-blade.

I think it fits into the model nicely.

My poor Doom has been collecting dust...

>> No.30131646
File: 896 KB, 500x750, 1390911201085.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30131646

>>30131523
I know that feel. I scrap builded a doom, but never got to play it, and now it's gone from the codex.

>> No.30132169

This thread reminds me just how much I love Roberto Cirillio's Tyranid concept art. There's some fantastic ideas there - the re-imagined bipedal Tyrant Guard and weirder Zoanthropes in particular - that I wish had been carried through to the model range. It's a terrible shame that, aside from a few Tau sketches, this was all the work he did for GW.

>> No.30132242
File: 577 KB, 2927x702, Zoanthrope rotation.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30132242

>>30130806
>>30130924
>>30130941
>>30130988
>>30131081

Sorry about the wait! Booted up my dying actual camera (and took the pictures in a better lit room) with mixed results.

Now for the deconstruction:
>Genestealer body. 2 Warrior crests, and one of those spiked carapace things for carnifex/tyrants? I don't know what the final piece on the front of the face is.
> Stealer body and definitely combined with 2 warrior head armor bits

Yes. Originally it was a tyranid warrior body, but it looked too beefy to me, so I used the genestealer body for a more 'atrophied' look. The two spare heads are warrior heads filed flat on one edge (carefully) so they'd fit together like that. The back plate with the horn and the big front plate are from the tyranid warrior heavy weapons sprue. The face is the spare tyranid warrior face shooting the flesh hook (which was removed) and filed down a little to remove the eyes. (See shitty pic 2)

Anyway, the back horn thing and the front face plate are also to help hold the two warrior heads together. The mouth part nestles in pretty well in between the two head-bulbs. I added a smaller armour bit (from the gaunt weapon sprue) because I didn't like how smooth the 'face' looked without it.

The arms are the humanoid genestealer arms (because I made this after successfully devouring an eldar warhost in a campain, so I wanted it as humanoid as possible) and the back arms are the smallest most itty bitty arms I had in the bits box - slaanesh daemonette arms that ended up being too small for anything I originally had planned. (Also supposed to be a 'clever' link/reference to the eldar genes that produced this zoanthrope and slaanesh daemons.)

Finally, to cover up a hole in the back of the head, I added another bit from the gaunt weapon sprue, some sort of adrenaline gland? It was 'brainy' enough for me, although if you want to cheat and greenstuff a brain, there would be room to do so.

>> No.30132390

>>30132242
not bad.
I would have greenstuffed some brain parts on the back of the head, filled the arm socket with some greenstuff as well, and grinded the front plates down so that they followed the curve of the head more.

It looks nice though.

>> No.30132397
File: 613 KB, 528x441, Shitty face shot.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30132397

>>30132242
The gland has little tubes on both sides, to make the bit fit better, the ones touching/facing the head are removed. (I don't like green stuff, so I don't use it, so I had to scour my bits box for something that sort of worked.)

Shitty pic number 2 - Tried to get the 'bottom' angle of the face, with little success. Camera can't do close ups, I suppose.

Anyway, the back plates are supposed to make it look more like a tyranid warrior body instead of a genestealer one, those are also from the tyranid warrior weapon sprue, and the smallest one was probably from the gaunt weapon sprue. Removed the spines and filed his back a bit smoother so the plates would rest on his back properly.

Enjoy, /tg/, and I'm actually really flattered that you were interested in my little guy.

>> No.30132534

>>30132397
Forgot to mention - the three tubes I removed were then used to fill the little space between the big front head plate and the rest of the head assembly.

>>30132390
I agree the head should be a little smoother and the daemonette claw arm sockets look a bit off, but I was hoping a little paint would help cover that up (/fill it in a bit because would layer my paints in those arm sockets a bit).

I don't know about the head, I'm not crazy about how the bottommost plate sticks out, but I built this guy in a burst of frenzied inspiration and I've since left it the way it originally came out.

>> No.30132896

>>30128840
Try reading the description of Hive Tyrants in any fucking Codex from 3rd onward, bro.

>> No.30132961

>>30127550
>gw fluff is only valid when I say so

>> No.30133013

>>30129003
You're missing the point.

Every single Hive Tyrant is infused with all of the Hive Mind's knowledge.

Why would they need a specific Tyrant to be a tactical genius? If the Swarmlords mind exists as part of the Hive Mind, it is part of the mind of every single Hive Tyrant.

And since all Tyranids are clones, how could there be a unique one? If they had a successful Hive Tyrant, they could make two or three or seven exactly like it. Special characters make no sense.

>> No.30133044

>>30132961
The entire argument to begin with was that Cruddace's fluff blows. That is the point. They were arguing over whether or not 5th fluff onwards should be considered valid.

>> No.30133091

>>30133044
But who is to say what fluff is valid other than Gw? Seems a long argument for no reason. Tyranids have special characters, just got to seal with it.

>> No.30133134

>>30133091
People who aren't clinically retarded? You can practically use Cruddace's fluff as a litmus test for determining who is able to spot internal inconsistencies.

>> No.30133213

>>30133091
Considering the vast majority of Tyranid players consider the 4th ed Codex to be the best one, I'd say it has the most valid fluff.

Note the complete and utter lack of Special Snowflakes.

>> No.30134034
File: 2.22 MB, 4736x2448, Swarmy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30134034

>>30123374
I'm the list gut with this base.

I know some people in this thread dont like the Swarmlord, but I thought i'd post mine on his base anyways.

>> No.30134099

>>30134034
I like his pose.

>> No.30134228

Ws bs s t W I A ld Ar
9 4 6 6 5 6 4 10 3+

He has two ap2 instant death weapons.
How the hell is this a "bad" character? Because he cant kill a 300+ point Dp?

He was plenty good before the biomancy craze.

>> No.30134229

>>30134034
Even those of us who hate the idea of the Swarmlord can still appreciate good modelling/hobby work.

>> No.30134427

>>30134228
No invuln save, very expensive for a pure melee unit, a large target, and his only defense against krak missiles and melta spam (which is common) is popping guards on him and a venomthrope behind him.

I'm not the guy that hates Swarmy. I still love swarmy and I field him as much as possible, but I still recognize his flaws and shortcomings.

>> No.30134535

>>30134034
Beautiful base.

>> No.30138647
File: 2.00 MB, 3264x2448, IMG_20140209_233806_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30138647

What you guys think?

>> No.30138722

>>30138647
thin paints

>> No.30138770

>>30138722
lol I died, was even using a wet palette

>> No.30138783

>>30138770
> did

>> No.30138836

>>30138770
the graduation on the scytalons doesnt look fluid or natural at all

did you try to blend them in while the paint was wet?

>> No.30138891

>>30138836
I've been wet blending scytals on my other figures and was thinking they haven't been looking all that good, still don't have the technique down so I thought I'd try a different approach. Guess it didn't turn out so well

>> No.30140014

>>30132896
touche

I usually don't worry about that part since in the same descriptions it says that it is the hive mind that decides which informations imbuing in a tyrant's brain
that means that they don't automatically have all of them, it would be an illogical waste of resources
>they could make two or three or seven exactly like it.
and they did but you consider it "hopping from place to place" instead of the appearance of the same tyrant strain in different places
and why would the hive spawn more than one tacticians if one is enough?

gw fluff is full of plotholes,ok, but everyone can fill said holes and find a place for everything

>> No.30140589

>>30138891
The only real issue is that there's a sharp dividing line between the shades when they should be blended together. The other issue is the 'pure white' at the ends. (I have the same issue - I like to use pure white on my Scy Tals too and it doesn't look 'natural'.)

>> No.30140964

I'll start with 1000 points
Hq
Tervigon
Elite
2 zohantropes
2 venomtropes
Troops
2x 20 hormagaunts
20 termagants with devourers
Fast attack
Crone
16 gargoyles

>> No.30141413
File: 134 KB, 1024x768, Zoan[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30141413

Since people were ;posting custom zoanthropes....
here's the one I made, out of a hormagaunt body and a load of green stuff. Based on the 3e version but with a more active pose.

>> No.30141454
File: 3.53 MB, 4608x3456, DSCN0012.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30141454

>hormagaunts will never be good

>> No.30141495

>>30141454
Which really sucks when hormagaunts and warriors were the models that really made you want to collect the army...

>> No.30141571

>>30141495
They are stil 0good, cheap and fast, jusy need to keep thrm in synapse range

>>30140964
B-bump I want to start making the order.

>> No.30141781

>>30141454
they are kind of useful now
run them naked and swarm on the enemy
pressing and suppression that's what they do
I prefer them over termagants, the +3" to run makes the difference

>> No.30142400
File: 3.35 MB, 4608x3456, DSCN0018.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30142400

>>30141781
That's how I've tried for years, in both 5th and 6th. The reality is that troops used as aggressive fodder aren't exploiting the one thing troops can do 100% better than every other unit- holding objectives and winning the game.

Termagants do defensive suppression perfectly, because they can hold objectives when they're not stalling or blocking to protect other scoring units. Offensive suppression/pressure can be done by anything that can contest the enemy's objectives (usually Gargoyles). Sure, Troops have the advantage that they can score after they clear the enemy objective, but if the troops are a fragile unit being fed into the enemy first to pressure them they won't probably won't last long enough to get the chance.

**If I wrote the rules everything would score but troops could only be contested by other troops**

>> No.30143132

>>30142400
gargoyles take FA slots
and I need to fill my 2 obligatory troops with something

I'm finding the tervigon less and less "attractive", she's just an objective holder now and I prefer playing aggressively

>> No.30143368

>>30143132
You can be aggressive with a tervigon using hive commander.

>> No.30144555

>>30140964
If you can get 10 more termagaunts, you can field the tervigon in troops, then you can get a cheap HQ(loljoke no such thing in the nids) so your best bet would probably to replace the crone with a flyrant.

If that puts you over 1000 points you can drop a zoanthrope or venomthrope since the new rules make no sense anyway and a single zoanthrope can cast as many powers as a brood of 2 unless you use warpblast every turn.


Besides the tervigon beeing better as a troop than an HQ, there's also a technical issue of him not beeing a character, but your warlord having to be a character.
So atm it's not clear wether a list like that would be valid under the current rules.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action