Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

/vt/ is now archived.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 106 KB, 490x603, exaltedsecondsigcircle[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
30003872 No.30003872 [DELETED]  [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

>tfw no red panda lunar waifu
>tfw no db gf

>> No.30004130

>>30003872
What about a tsundere infernal stalker?

>> No.30004282

Is it possible to give yourself mutations with Craft(Genesis)?

My gut tells me it probably wouldn't be, since even with the smallest of alterations it'd take approximately a season of work.

>> No.30004301

Would it be interesting for a Lintha to exalt as a Solar or a rebel Abyssal?
It would be possible that one of them could exalt.

>> No.30004608

>>30004130
Is there any other kind of Stalker?

>> No.30004770

>>30004282
>Is it possible to give yourself mutations with Craft(Genesis)?
Yes.

Using Craftsman Needs No Tools, as a Solar, you can do it without a lab or tools, and for every day spent working this way, complete Essence * 3 days of work. So, at Essence 3, which is the charm's minimum, that's nine hours per hour, or nine days per day, or nine months per month, and so on.

It's still unfeasibly slow, though, to do it in combat, or between encounters, or something. Honestly, Craft (Genesis) is best for creating permanent populations, making/curing diseases, and so on.

If your ST lets you use Medicine charms too, you can use Instant Treatment Method to instantly complete an hour of work as a Speed 7 action. You'll run out of motes pretty quickly that way, but it is what it is.

Your best bet is to use Craft (Genesis) in advance to craft mutation-imbuing elixers/injections that work via live cultures of mutation-imbuing diseases contained within. As you need them, you can break out the appropriately-labeled bottle/syringe and get your gills or whatever.

As an alternative to all that hassle, you could just play a Lunar/Infernal and get charms that are all about mutations.

>> No.30004820

If I wanted to condense Thrown and Archery into a Ranged Ability and Melee and Martial Arts into a Melee Ability, what new Abilities do you think I should add in to bring me back up to a round 25?

>> No.30005304

>>30004608
There are many.

>> No.30005334

What's the artifact version of a whip?

>> No.30005668

>>30005334
There might not be one.

>> No.30005903

>>30005334
Dire Chain would probably be your best bet.

>> No.30006033

As far as I know there isn't a canon example of an artifact whip.
But there's a homebrew one on this page:
http://exalted.xi.co.nz/wiki/MartialArts/DragonOfEmeraldandBrass

>> No.30006232

>>30005334
>>30005668
>>30005903
>>30006033
The artifact version of a whip is a Monofilament Scourge, page 210 of MoEP: Alchemicals. It's basically a retractable version of Ivy's whip-sword, from Soul Calibur.

It's a +7L, O3, P, R, D weapon. Accuracy +1, Defense -1, except in a clinch, where it's +2 Accuracy.

Artifact 2. There's a 3-dot version that lets you spend 6m in Step 7 of an attack to convert all damage to Aggravated.

>> No.30006393

So is a lunar using Golden Exhalation style viable? Kinda planning it, or should I go Righteous Devil style?

Non-melee Lunar using flame weapons is retarded I know, but could it work?

>> No.30006487

>>30006393
Not very well. Lunars have a much lower cap to the number of dice they can add to an attack pool with excellencies, so you REALLY want to use a weapon that adds strength to damage to make up for the lower accuracy with more potent strikes. So, flame weapons, crossbows, essence cannons, and the like, tend to be a very bad choice for a Lunar compared to literally anything else - a powerbow, for example.

>> No.30006546
File: 856 KB, 500x247, ThumbsUP.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

I found myself bothered by the array of abilities as scattered across the solar castes, so I swapped a few of them. Thoughts /tg/? In exchange tiny Solar.

DAWN
-Melee
-War
-Resistance
-Ride
-Athletics

ZENITH
-Martial Arts
-Integrity
-Survival
-Presence
-Lore

TWILIGHT
-Thrown
-Craft
-Medicine
-Occult
-Awareness

NIGHT
-Archery
-Stealth
-Larceny
-Investigation
-Dodge

ECLIPSE
-Bureaucracy
-Linguistics
-Sail
-Socialize
-Performance

>> No.30006552

So, is there any reason at ALL to use first Sid Excellency, over Second? Besides being dropped on your head as a child?

>> No.30006629

>>30006546
Occult is used for knowing about ghosts and spirits and stuff. It makes a lot more sense for Zeniths to have that and for Twilights to have lore.

Performance is used for giving speeches and leading prayers. Presence is used for face-to-face one-on-one talks and negotiations. Eclipse should have Presence and Zeniths should have Performance.

Aside from that, I feel like Night should still have Athletics, but I can't imagine what they would trade back for it. I guess that's what favored abilities are for?

>> No.30006659

>>30006552
There's about as much reason to use the Sidereal First Excellency as there is to use the Dragonblooded Second Excellency. In each case, they're strictly inferior to their alternative.

>> No.30006677

>>30006629
>Occult is used for knowing about ghosts and spirits and stuff. It makes a lot more sense for Zeniths to have that and for Twilights to have lore.
Lore is, among other things, the Ability that includes knowledge about First Age technology too. It definitely makes no sense for anyone other than Twilights to have Lore.

>> No.30006774

>>30006552
If you have penalties that reduce your dicepool below zero, you spend as much as you want on the first Excellency to bring it up to zero and then add up to (Essence) dice on top of that. This means that the First Excellency can always get you dice to roll, and on actions which would be Impossible by definition with just the second Excellency.

Now, how legal is it to spend lots of motes getting a massively negative pool up to 1 die with the 1st excellency and then buying up the rest of your dice cap in successes with the 2nd excellency at the same time?

>> No.30006812

>>30006546
Zeniths having Martial Arts but not Resistance makes no sense. The reason Martial Arts fit them well thematically was because they could make their bodies tough enough to need no armor, then fight with no weapons. Without the former, the latter doesn't fit them appropriately at all. At that point, you may as well give them Archery instead, since at least that way it will fit their Survival and could fit the Shinto archer priestess theme.

>> No.30006848

>>30006774
...why would you want to spend that many motes in that kind of situation? When would you ever have so many penalties that it reduces your pool below 0, let alone choosing to continue acting and hemorrhaging your extremely-limited essence pool as a Sidereal instead of running the fuck away?

>> No.30006942

I don't suppose there'd happen to be anybody in here willing to accept a new player for their game, would there?

>> No.30007329

>>30006546
>Lore to Zeniths from Twilights
>Twilights get Thrown in return
No.

No.

>> No.30007359

>>30006812
Oh, and if Martial Arts isn't with either Dawn or whomever has Resistance? It should probably go to Eclipse, since they're all about learning things from external sources. That said, I totally think that Dawns should get Martial Arts (make their body a weapon, they are the Solar Heroes), Zenith should get Archery (to go with Survival and make them like Shinto priests), and Night should get Melee (for backstabbing).

Honestly, though, the whole rearrangement is kinda shit. The problem was with Dawns; everyone else was fine. I liked the idea someone had earlier in the thread, with condensing it into Melee and Ranged and inventing two more Abilities to take the place of Thrown/Martial Arts.

>> No.30007460

>>30006848
Okay, perhaps that would be a really bad use of motes. It might be useful for getting dice in a pinch if you're needing to roll what is normally a very small pool, but only a ronin would have a pool like that in any worthwhile ability, and with Sidereal XP costs (assuming you don't house rule them to solar rates like everybody probably should) it costs the same to raise an ability from 1 to 4 as it does to get a single charm for that ability.

So even if it would have extremely circumstantial use, anyone whom it would actually benefit is unlikely to actually have the charm when they need it. Balls.

>> No.30007536

>>30007359
I think the system itself is flawed. Someone has to get shafted in abilities, and in 2e that's Dawns. I feel like every other caste was well-defined in what made their caste distinct from the others, and I like that no caste has a preference for any particular kind of fighting. It shows the Solars can excel in whatever area they choose to excel at. The problem is that mechanically Dawns were just awful. There's no reason why a character being made would heavily invest in more than two fighting abilities at the start of their careers (i.e. character creation and the first several sessions), and plenty of reasons to invest in the other abilities. The Dawn keyword added in by errata is a really shoddy band-aid fix to a problem I don't believe can be fixed with 5 castes and 25 abilities, with 5 abilities for each caste, as it is now. I think the system has to be reworked.

>> No.30007590

>>30006487
That bad huh?

I know this is the wrong place to post this, but Exalted is kinda a crap system.

>> No.30008005

>>30007590
>crap system

Very much so. It's one of the worst parts about enjoying the setting.

>> No.30008025

>>30008005
I wouldn't say 2.5 is all that bad. It's still pretty bad of course, but not as bad as the reputation.

>> No.30008078

>>30007359
Then two more of the Dragon-Blooded aspects would be missing combat abilities.

>> No.30008163

Does anybody have some advice on getting an Exalted campaign going? My group is just starting to dip into White Wolf with Scion: Hero, and Exalted is in discussion as a possibility in the future.
Is there anything to specifically look for or avoid concerning Exalted? Which edition would be best used as a base, what houserules or web fixes would people recommend? Should any Exaltations be excluded for a group new to the system?

>> No.30008204

>>30008025

>2.5

It's pretty damn bad anon. It's just it was far better then 2.0 raw.

>> No.30008251

>>30008163
Wait for the word on 3E's release in the next few months. 2E really has massive mechanical problems, and the setting is worth getting into, but 2E's system is just a huge slog of a mess.

>> No.30008361

>>30008025
I would say it's pretty fucking bad.

>> No.30008519

>>30007460
>>30006848
You use 1st when you're flurrying the fuck out. Normally, you can't continue flurry when your dicepool drops to 0, but with this? YOU CAN.
So you zero out the DV, bring your attack pool back to at least 1 die and add up one success from Second. Use Sid version of IAM to offset the cost.

>> No.30008556

>>30007536
>The Dawn keyword added in by errata is a really shoddy band-aid fix to a problem I don't believe can be fixed with 5 castes and 25 abilities, with 5 abilities for each caste, as it is now. I think the system has to be reworked.
In 3e Dawns get 8 associated abilities and then pick 5 to get the caste benefits on.

>> No.30008565
File: 192 KB, 386x488, Lilith.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>30008163
Play as Solars. Don't have more than four players, or it just gets too much to handle. Three is ideal. Don't have mixed Exalt types or you'll be bouncing back and forth between different books all day long. One of the major mistakes of new Exalted groups is having too many players being different Exalt types. Be all one type.

You should play with the Core book and the Scroll of Errata. The Storytellers Companion will help as well and no, there's no apostrophe there. A Compass of Terrestrial Directions (CoTD) book will help. They outline different areas of the world. The CoTD: Scavenger Lands would be a good book to get first. You'll have to reference everything mechanics-related with the Scroll of Errata though, since the system's flaws and revisions are so deep that almost every book is touched by it in some way.

Don't listen to anyone telling you to wait for 3e. You'll be waiting for months, possibly another year at the rate they're going, to get anything more than the core book. Meanwhile 2e has a ton of material.

You can alternatively play as Dragon-Blooded. They work well in groups so it may help party cohesion to play them instead of Solars. Unfortunately you need two books for them. Get the Manual of Exalted Power: Dragon-Blooded, and The Thousand Correct Actions of the Upright Soldier. The former is their main book with their background, rules, mechanics, and so on. The second is a book of fluff and errata. I believe most, but not all, of the changes in that book are also in the Scroll of Errata.

The setting will only work if you guys all agree to be playing the same kind of game. If one guy wants to play a sexy ditzsavant in high heels who crafts things all day long while another guy wants to play a sincere soldier who incites rebellions and wages war, you as a Storyteller are going to have trouble keeping the party together and focused. Agree with your players before the game to be pursuing some goal, something to keep the party together.

>> No.30008587

>>30008556
Like how they handled the addition of Firearms in Exalted Modern. That may work out well, but it can also mean Dawn castes are less predictable than the other castes. We'll have to wait for the rules to finally release.

>> No.30008604

>>30008163
Wait for 3e. Get the corebook, start playing Solars. Add fixes as the problems show up.

In the meantime, you may want to get/pirate the setting books from the first two editions to get hyped (check Kickstarter for 3e, it had some recommendations)

Or you can spend next 4-5 months struggling with 2e and switch to 3e once it rolls along.
In that case, still play solars only and convert to 3e by making 3e solars with similar concepts and giving out the same amount of XP.

>> No.30008662

>>30008565
>You can alternatively play as Dragon-Blooded. They work well in groups so it may help party cohesion to play them instead of Solars. Unfortunately you need two books for them. Get the Manual of Exalted Power: Dragon-Blooded, and The Thousand Correct Actions of the Upright Soldier. The former is their main book with their background, rules, mechanics, and so on. The second is a book of fluff and errata. I believe most, but not all, of the changes in that book are also in the Scroll of Errata.
I think TCA's changes are not included in Errata (aside from cases when TCA's charms have been errata'd)
Also for dragonbloods, Compass: Blessed Isle is a must, in addition to whatever place you'll be doing stuff. It's your home base, your family and you need to know it.

>> No.30008688

>>30008519
Suddenly all those Rate 15 weapons almost make sense.

>> No.30009029

>>30008688
That's supposed to be range, I'm pretty sure. Assuming you mean the gauntlets of distant claws and the perfect knife or w/e from Oadenol's. They both have Defense stats, but are ranged weapons; that's the actual Rate.

>> No.30009166

>>30008688
>>30009029
Yea, Rate 15 is a typo.
Way to get moar rate is to have some extra arms and stick Reaper Daiklaves in all of them.

>> No.30009438

>>30008556
Citation?

>> No.30012209

>>30009438
It's been thrown around for a while.

>> No.30012897

Catching up on the previous thread in archive, I got a comment to discussion about Lunars https://archive.foolz.us/tg/thread/29945146/#30000921

>Huh, neat. Now if only Lunars had access to a Night Caste-style anima-concealing effect. That's the thing that really stood out as Lunars lacking, insofar as supposedly being expert infiltrators is concerned.

They have one, although I don't have books on hand to give it precisely.
IIRC it's 3m flat per charm concealed. Downside: it's Essence 6.

>> No.30013212

>>30008662
>I think TCA's changes are not included in Errata

I'm fairly sure they are. Making Errata that can only be accessed by buying a specific book would be retarded.

>> No.30013789

>>30013212
>would be retarded.
>This is 2e we're talking about.

TCA is as much new content as any other book, it was made to be sold, not given out like Errata.

SoE itself says:
>Ten-Thousand Righteous Corrections
>Much of the Dragon-Blooded errata, along with brand
>new Charms and excerpts from the Realm military guide of
>the same name, can be found in the PDF supplement The
>Thousand Correct Actions of the Upright Soldier

So yeah. TCA is standalone book, not duplicated in Errata. Scroll only has one tiny correction to one TCA Charm.

>> No.30013872

>>30013789
No, I've been unclear. What I meant was that not putting the Errata parts from TCA into the Scroll of Errata would be retarded. As a matter of fact, I've compared the Scroll and TCA's Errata sections to be sure, and yes, the TCA errata is also in the Scroll of Errata.

Of course they're not going to copy the whole book over. But a book that's supposed to be the single, free source of Errata for Exalted telling players they'll have to buy another book to get DB Errata would have been the most ridiculous thing to ever happen in the line.

>> No.30013928

>>30013872
Well, I stand corrected then.

>> No.30013957
File: 191 KB, 992x1240, Saturn.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>30013928
And don't let me catch you again, you young wippersnapper.

I swear, youth these days...

>> No.30014399

>>30012897

>> Essence 6
That may as well not exist, then.

>> No.30014478

>>30008565
>Don't have mixed Exalt types or you'll be bouncing back and forth between different books all day long. One of the major mistakes of new Exalted groups is having too many players being different Exalt types. Be all one type.
I blame Keychain of Creation for making all-Solar groups seem really boring in comparison.

>> No.30014542

>>30014478
Well to be fair, core Solars ARE pretty fucking boring to have a group of. Especially in combat, when everyone is doing the EXACT SAME THING, just swinging around differently shaped sticks.

>> No.30014618

>>30006552
The first excellency can be used together with the fateful excellency.

>> No.30014625

>>30007590
I don't know that I would agree with that. Lunars are really fantastic at a great many things. Because of the way their excellencies work,extremely high accuracy is not one of them. Their Dexterity Excellency basically caps out at +5 dice, but they can get up to 10 Strength with use of its excellency. This means that, while a Solar is extremely accurate because they're, say, a gunslinger taken to its iconic extreme, a Lunar can be inhumanly accurate, but not as accurate as a Solar, which is why having a beastly amount of strength is a great asset.

But if you're using a weapon that doesn't incorporate Strength? You're basically throwing away one of the big Lunar advantages.

Alchemicals have the same problem with flame weapon styles, since they're Attribute-based as well. Everyone else, with Ability excellencies, are fine with styles that don't add strength to damage.

The problem is less Exalted having a crap system, and more picking the exact wrong splat for that particular weapon choice. It's like playing Pathfinder and wondering if it's a bad choice to play a Dwarf Sorcerer. While not crippling for the character, you'll be really hurting by specializing in what you're bad at instead of focusing on what you're good at.

>> No.30014648

>>30008519
That's still a fucking stupid use of Sidereals' extremely-limited mote pools. Not to mention that, even with the Second Excellency, if you're not rolling a fair amount of dice to back it up, you're going to be missing every single attack, unless you're attacking extras, in which case why the fuck are you pissing away essence on extras?

So it still isn't any proper use, even for that.

>> No.30014732

>>30014648
Read the post again. You use massive flurry to Onslaught their DV to zero while using tiny additions from your First Excellency at later strikes to prevent your own dicepool from zeroing out.

>> No.30014799

>>30014542
I didn't say KoC wasn't right when it made all-Solar groups seem boring, it's just that all-Solar groups are supposed to be the normal way to play.

>> No.30014843

>>30014732
What weapon are you using that has a high enough rate to zero out your attack pool, and why are you using it for mundane flurries that you're pissing away absolute fuckloads of essence on instead of making a much-cheaper magical flurry instead? It sounds like an 'option' that only exists to burn away all of your motes instead of doing something halfway sensible.

>> No.30014864

>>30014732
>Onslaught their DV
First off, Onslaught only applies when you already successfully hit someone. If you've managed to Onslaught their DV to 0, and they're not already dead, something is wrong here.

Second off, that's still an absolutely worthless use of Essence when Sidereals have easy access to all manner of martial arts replete with actual flurry charms.

>> No.30014903

>>30014864
>First off, Onslaught only applies when you already successfully hit someone.
[Citation needing intensifies]

>> No.30014949

>>30006812
Since most of the MAs have good defenses built in resistance just didn't seem to be all that important.
>>30006629
And I almost did give them occult, but then Twilights aren't natural sorcerors which feels a bit wrong. On the other hand that would make Zeniths more shaman I suppose.

Moving on, second attempt! At this exercise in making Dawns not suck entirely and getting Eclipses to stop bearing the Ride/Sail load.

DAWN
-Melee
-War
-Archery
-Ride
-Athletics

ZENITH
-Martial Arts
-Integrity
-Survival
-Performance
-Resistance

TWILIGHT
-Lore
-Craft
-Medicine
-Occult
-Awareness

NIGHT
-Thrown
-Stealth
-Larceny
-Investigation
-Dodge

ECLIPSE
-Bureaucracy
-Linguistics
-Sail
-Socialize
-Prescence

>> No.30014954

>>30014903
Page 147, core rulebook:
>Onslaught Penalty -1 per successful attack**
>** Applies only against a single attacker, unless a group makes a coordinated attack.

>> No.30014960

>>30007359
The system suffers ability bloat as is, condensing two skills just to think up more is redundent.

>> No.30014974

>>30014954
And so, nonmagical flurries become even more useless.

>> No.30014983

>>30014949
Looks pretty solid to me, actually. I still feel like Night are missing Athletics for super-jumping and super-speed, you know, ninja stuff. But again, that's kind of what Favored Abilities is for at the end of the day, right?

>> No.30014992

>>30014974
Nonmagical flurries are for killing groups of extras and other very weak opponents. Which, to be fair, is what you should be fighting 90% of the time. Most combats in Exalted should be against groups of mortals, not against other Exalts.

>> No.30015047

>>30014954
And also on that same page:

" If a character is attacked multiple times by the same
opponent, each attack cumulatively imposes an additional -1
penalty to both DVs (called an onslaught penalty). Therefore,
a sufficiently savage cascade of blows can batter through the
best defenses."

>> No.30015061

>>30014949
The problem with that, as I see it, is that Dawn no longer has Martial Arts. That means that Solar Hero Style, the most iconic form of Solar combat, is primarily a thing of the Zenith caste, rather than a thing of the Dawn caste. I would bend over backwards, if I was you, to give Dawn Martial Arts, and maybe Resistance too.

Thrown goes really well with Solar Hero and fits well with the javelin-throwing or landscape-tossing warrior archetype ala Gilgamesh. Maybe give Zenith Archery - it fits Survival pretty well thematically - and Night Melee, since backstabs tend to be synonymous with daggers.

As for which current Dawn skill to give Zeniths in place of Resistance? Give them Ride. Survival already has all of the animal-training charms in it, and horseback archers are definitely a thing. It never made sense to me to have Ride and Survival belong to different castes. If you follow my suggestions, the new layout should look like this:

DAWN
>Martial Arts
>War
>Thrown
>Resistance
>Athletics

ZENITH
>Archery
>Integrity
>Survival
>Performance
>Ride

NIGHT
>Melee
>Stealth
>Larceny
>Investigation
>Dodge

And with that, you'll have Dawns who can shrug off any blow, leap tall buildings, punch someone past the horizon, and throw a house at a dude. You'll also have horseback archer preacher Zeniths, though, so your mileage may vary.

>> No.30015073

>>30015047
It's a good thing that the table goes on to clarify that they have to be successful attacks, since that bit leaves it vague as to whether or not a miss counts.

>> No.30015074

>>30015047
I'd definitely go with this, over that other one. This is much less retarded.

>> No.30015083

>>30015073
Which is really fucking stupid. So someone hitting you with a thousand sword slashes in six seconds is no harder to dodge than one sword slash, so long as none of them hit you?

>> No.30015093

>>30015073
The table is wrong.

>> No.30015108
File: 103 KB, 900x1150, Wood Aspect with Dire Lance.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>30015083
Of course it's harder to dodge!

After all, your opponent gets lots of attack rolls; one of them might roll a lot of 10's.

Honestly, I agree with you that requiring hitting is dumb, and I would be happy to houserule otherwise. But going by RAW, it requires a hit.

>>30015093
I'm going to need to see some errata to believe that. Someone tossed a [Citation Needed] at me, so...

[Citation Needed]

>> No.30015140

>>30015108
See >>30015047, which is not actually vague at all, and clearly states that "If a character is attacked multiple times by the same opponent, each attack cumulatively imposes an additional -1 penalty to both DVs". It doesn't mention the attack actually hitting or not, it just says "is attacked multiple times". That's all there is to it. The table is wrong.

>> No.30015150

>>30015140
On top of that, it says "Therefore, a sufficiently savage cascade of blows can batter through the best defenses." While that isn't really rules text, it is quite clearly showing that onslaught penalties are meant to let you batter down a DV you wouldn't normally be able to hit, which doesn't work if you need to hit in the first place.

>> No.30015156

>>30014983
When it came to Night I cared more for giving the sneak the ability to actually learn something with his sneaking then to do it across water.
>>30015061
I don't find Solar Hero Style to be the most iconic anything. Hero Styles are, in my opinion, as horrible an idea as you can get in trying to summarize a splat with four different forms of fighting using only one. I gave MA to Zeniths because I don't see them as Shinto Priest I see them as Buddhist Monks and Ride goes to Dawn because your great warriors and generals just doesn't work for me without the gallant arrival on horseback or for that matter the ability to be a knight with swords and shields.

>> No.30015167

>>30015140
And then the table goes on to clarify that in a non-contradictory way, stating that the attacks need to hit for it to count. Again, I'm going to need some errata that states that the table is wrong, otherwise it's just clarifying a point not mentioned in the main writeup. And if it wasn't intended that way, shouldn't the table be errataed somewhere? I PREFER the explanation that it doesn't need to hit, but by RAW, it does.

[Citation Needed]

>> No.30015169

I'm trying to roll up a solar night caste...

I want a corruption-hating killer. Linked to the corruption in heaven somehow.

My idea is that at some point in the first age this joker was completely inamored with... something

>and then he decided to barge into the loom of fate and link something to his exaltation, so it would last forever and he could enjoy it with each new reincarnation

Too bad his new reincarnation finds it - less than desirable. And the bronze faction isn't going to let him undo this any time soon because they're dicks.

I just have no clue what to go for here with 'thing' to link to him.

First age vogon poetry?

A village?

A thing?

I'm not even sure how to make this work in practice... though my ST loves the idea, but wants me to figure it out first

>> No.30015207

>>30015156
Ride still makes more sense being with the caste that has Survival, because anyone with Survival will want Ride, and vice versa. They're mutually dependent on each other.

As for Solar Hero being or not being iconic? It totally is. You don't have to like it, but it's the single most iconic Solar fighting style. It's also crazy flavorful for a Dawn, because they're turning their unarmed body itself into a weapon. With Resistance, they're also turning their unarmed body into armor.

On top of ALL of that, which Caste do you want to be associated with learning the vast purview of martial arts available in creation, from Terrestrial up through Sidereal style? The Warrior caste, or the Priest caste?

Martial Arts is definitely THE Dawn ability, more than any other.

Ride being iconic to generals is only close enough to be a common Favored ability, and even then, most generals ride around on a horse, but are not cavalry in any way.

>> No.30015293

>>30015169
First off, don't call it a reincarnation. The only thing tying him to the previous 'incarnation' is the exaltation; he has a completely different high and low soul.

Anyway, there's something else that needs to be answered first. What was his stimulus for exalting this time, and what are his favored abilities?

Personally, I think it would be interesting if he had been fated for a Sidereal exaltation. That would make the Bronze faction thinking he's a fate-tampering dick all the more poignant. He would have lived in Yu Shan itself for most of his life as a mortal in training for a future life as a Sidereal, so he would have gotten to see all the corruption face to face in his mortal life.

Then, he could exalt doing something sufficiently Night-y. If it was a 'Disney princess' situation, where he'd been leading a sheltered life in some Sidereal cloister, I could see him breaking out and exploring all over the city, running over rooftops, getting into trouble, pissing off his handlers. Exalting in some sort of confrontation, whether with heavenly organized crime or his handlers catching up to him.

It would give him a unique perspective. Knowledge of how Sidereals work, knowledge that 'anathema' is nonsense, first-hand knowledge of the corruption of heaven, and NOW he has fate itself fucking with him!

As for what it should be? Considering the First Age Solars, probably something lewd or violent.

>> No.30015305
File: 198 KB, 546x500, Twilight Rider.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>30015293
>Martial Arts counter-espionage fate-plagued Solar with a hate-boner for the corruption in Yu Shan
Sounds like JUSTICE to me!

>> No.30015410

>>30015293
>>30015305
So he would have favored, what, Martial Arts, Bureaucracy, Linguistics, Performance, and, I don't know, Investigation?

>> No.30015430

>>30015293
>Considering the First Age Solars, probably something lewd or violent.

All good ideas... but...

His background is that of a Lookshyan assassin. Son to a family of gens servants, worked as a killer for their foreign interests for years...

Then he finds out that what he's been killing hasn't been for the glorious and greater good of Lookshy, but simply for the profits of his masters... cue exaltation

The "thing" tied into his exaltation (not his hun or po soul) came extra - which leads him to focus on celestial corruption

I just need to figure out what the hell is tied into him. It has to be something that bothers him, something sufficiently annoying to warrant effort to get rid of...

>> No.30015495

So, what was so broken about Perfect Equipment that it had to be erratad out? It doesn't seem that bad to me.

>> No.30015507

>>30015430
Is he straight? Have it be hot dudes constantly falling for/hitting on him. The holder of his Exaltation in the First Age was a gay dude/straight lady who had a major thing for the buffer sex. Princes swoon, gigolos call after him, that kind of thing. Something massively obnoxious to anyone who doesn't want that sort of attention.

If he's gay, just switch it around.

Either way, it's something that someone else could clearly see as a massive blessing that, to him, is just a curse.

>> No.30015521

>>30015495
You could get perfect items that were as powerful as artifacts. Considering the fact that the former can be purchased with mere resources and the latter is a background unto itself, they decided it wouldn't be fair for someone to be able to purchase a mundane weapon that's the equal to someone's first age artifact blade.

It's a fair reasoning, I think.

>> No.30015540

>>30015521
I suppose, but there's still a lot of drawbacks to mundane equipment, like it being much easier to break, no magical material bonuses, no hearthstone slots, and the like.

>> No.30015589

>>30015540
They were comparing it to artifacts that didn't get the benefit of magical material bonuses, whether because they were made of yellow jade or were off-type for someone, or whatever. The thought was that the artifact version of something should always be a better choice than even a perfect but mundane version of the item. That artifacts are supposed to be weapons crafted beyond the limits of normal human perfection, and that even the best mundane equipment should, therefore, fall at least a bit short.

All that said, I can't remember the last time I failed to pick up something like an exceptional Chiaroscuo glass backup sword/knife/whatever, so mileage is still varying.

>> No.30015653

>>30015507
>Exalts
>monosexual

>> No.30015664
File: 89 KB, 500x707, 1384643173480.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>30015293
>yfw this all turns out to be a Bronze faction plot to induce controlled Solar exaltation scenarios in order to capture the Solars and put them into magically-induced comas instead of trying to use a jade prison again
>yfw this all turns out to be a double-cross by the Gold Faction to arm and train Solars with Sidereal resources, then set them loose on the world while the Bronze faction isn't looking
Disney as fuck. Me gusta.

>> No.30015666

>>30015540

True - but depending on what kind of charms you have, then you can spam those 'mundane' weapons

Of course, that kind of stuff is only really handy for things like Thrown combat, with javelins and shurikens and whatnot...

>most thrown artifacts are.. well... singular. Sure, they come with features that usually return the artifacts so you don't have to retrieve them, but they rarely allow you to do flurries of multiple attacks.

>> No.30015685

>>30015653
Fair point. At any rate, have it be something to that effect. Something that could clearly be very appealing to lots of folk, but for him it's just really unpleasant.

>> No.30015715

>>30012897
Lunars really don't need one, because of shapeshifting.

>>30014542
> Solars
> Boring
They're supposed to be the blank slate Exalted you can do anything you want with.

>>30015495
Around the time 2.5 started writing, a lot of things people hadn't even thought of having a problem with suddenly became terrible, horrible gamewrecking things.

>> No.30015739

>>30015715
>Lunars really don't need one, because of shapeshifting.
Shapeshifting can cost motes, which flare their anima banner if they're out of Personal Essence. The same goes for their charms that enhance their ability to lie and so forth. Changing shape doesn't hide their anima display.

That alone means they're not as good of infiltrators as Night Caste.

>> No.30015740

>>30015715
>Lunars really don't need one, because of shapeshifting.

Yes, they fucking do, because their anima directly and irrevocably COUNTERS their shapeshifting.

They're literally the worst infiltrators in the game against magical foes ("Hmm, that fly has Essence 4...") and sub-par against even mundane folks.

>> No.30015993

>>30015740
Pure bullshit. To detect a Lunar in an HB form the individual has to hit a very high DV value. Its actually impossible for most mortals to detect a shape shifted Lunar unless they know them well enough to pick out their Tell.

>> No.30016018

>>30015169
>I want a corruption-hating killer. Linked to the corruption in heaven somehow.
Well, you could do that easier by having him suffer from extortion by an asshole local god. So you start with Motivation against corruption of terrestial courts.
Later during the game you find out that the corruption runs in Yu-Shan too and your Motivation evolves accordingly.

>> No.30016034

>>30015993
Or if they see their goddamn anima banner flaring.

>> No.30016039

>>30015993
>To detect a Lunar in an HB form the individual has to hit a very high DV value. Its actually impossible for most mortals to detect a shape shifted Lunar unless they know them well enough to pick out their Tell.

I'm not even talking about the Tell. I'm talking about how the Lunar can only spend a tiny fraction of their motes while maintaining the disguise.

The Tell is just yet another chink their armor.

>> No.30016072

>>30016039
Maybe I'm just SUPER STINGY with my motes, but between Lunars low costs for Excellencies(IE, they can't buy them as high), and periodic stunts, my Lunar almost never had to dip into peripheral, and that was usually after she had committed a ton of motes to her armored up warform.

>> No.30016075

>>30016034
>>30016039
You idiots know that only True Forms are accessible with anima flaring, right?

If you're using peripheral essence while infiltrating in a Heart's Blood form you're doing it very wrong.

>> No.30016085

>>30015740
>>30015993

Well ya - RAW says that flaring your anima as a lunar forces you revert to your natural forms (your totem animal or human, AFAIK)

I think it was errata'd - plus I don't know a single ST who doesn't house-rule that out...

>> No.30016097

>>30016075
>You idiots know that only True Forms are accessible with anima flaring, right?
>If you're using peripheral essence while infiltrating in a Heart's Blood form you're doing it very wrong.

That's...my point? You fucking idiot? A Lunar doing stealthy things is a Lunar who can't spend over half of his motes is a Lunar who can't do half as much of his job as an Exalt.

Formlock for anima flare is the worst fucking thing.

>> No.30016109

>>30016075
>You idiots know that only True Forms are accessible with anima flaring, right?
Exactly. Whereas a Night Caste has access to their entire essence pool as long as they're willing to pay a tiny surcharge.

>> No.30016120

>>30016075
Wait, really? So turning into a giant rhino-tiger while my anima is flaring to fuck some dudes up isn't allowed by RAW?

>> No.30016134

>>30016120

Yep. If a Lunar's anima flares, they can only take one of their two/three trueforms (human, animal, warform if they have it).

>> No.30016155

>>30016134
Huh. Well, there goes accessing flight/massive forms in combat for maximum destruction or escaping or whatever. Lunars are 300% shittier to me now.

>> No.30016164

>>30016097
The point is that Stablion McKillface, like 95% of the Lunar host, is going to be a far better infiltrator than 82% of the Solar host. Sure, ok, most Nights do it better, but you are massively underestimating what can be done with just the personal pool.

>> No.30016192

Here's the latest update of Exalted: Blood and Fire, my Cortex Plus Heroic hack for running Exalted. It now has an extended GM advice section, and the next update is probably going to include art! (I'm still looking for more art if anyone wants to contribute, email in document).

>> No.30016227

>>30015739
But if you're a cat, you're not going to need to be spending all those motes to flare your anima in the first place. If you can't get around this simple restriction, I don't know what to tell you.

>>30016097
He also gets a perfect disguise that he doesn't need to further enhance with charms for as little as 1m.

>> No.30016232

How would one go about making a character that's more of a support to the party, who stays out of the spotlight and generally avoids being a spotlight hog?

>> No.30016237

>>30016232
You wouldn't; Exalts don't have that setting.

>> No.30016250

So, /tg/, how common are mortals with enlightened essence and terrestrial martial arts in your games? Do you have monastic orders of Golden Janissaries trying to hold back shadowlands? Do you have communities of Djala who teach their kids First Pulse in case someone tries to jump them? Do you have Golden Exhalation gunslingers stomping around as terrors and wardens of the South?

Or is enlightened essence even rarer than that for you, with Terrestrial martial arts/sorcery largely kept in the hands of gods and exalts?

>> No.30016257

>>30016232
>How would one go about making a character that's more of a support to the party, who stays out of the spotlight and generally avoids being a spotlight hog?
Medicine and Craft charms, I guess? But why bother doing that in Exalted? The Stunting system is literally built around showboating in the spotlight.

>> No.30016260

>>30016192
I'll be reading this with interest.

In any case, your passion for Exalted and your will to produce content is great. Allow me to tip my hat as a salute and show of recognition.

>> No.30016267
File: 126 KB, 1280x720, YunoYandereFace[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>30004130
Yandere, anon. Yandere.

>> No.30016275

>>30016227
>But if you're a cat, you're not going to need to be spending all those motes to flare your anima in the first place. If you can't get around this simple restriction, I don't know what to tell you.
Man, I'm not saying that they aren't good infiltrators. I'm just saying that they're not even remotely as good as people make them out to be, and nowhere even close to as good as certain Solaroid castes or Sidereals are. When their quality as infiltrators is somewhere below Sidereals, Solars, Abyssals, and Infernals, and somewhere above Dragonblooded and Alchemicals, it seems wrong to cite that as one of their specialties.

>> No.30016289

>>30016250
Most people outside the Realm and the other major named cities probably know a couple of people with enlightened essence (by know I mean are aware of, maybe facebook friends). Martial Arts are rare unless you live near some old tutor and Sorcery is rare because it takes fuckking ages to learn, but Thaumaturgy is pretty common.

>> No.30016294
File: 134 KB, 287x344, tipping intensifies.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>30016260
>tip my hat

>> No.30016308
File: 997 KB, 500x213, Tip Hat.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>30016294

>> No.30016317

>>30016120
>Wait, really? So turning into a giant rhino-tiger while my anima is flaring to fuck some dudes up isn't allowed by RAW?
Yeep.
You can wiggle a bit with Tyrant Lizard Totem, but still: the rules shat on Lunars hard.

>> No.30016347

>>30007536
A simple solution is to just ditch Favoured Abilities entirely, and give every Solar favoured costs for Charms and Abilities. The only effect of Caste Abilities is that you need a goodly chunk of your starting Charms/Ability dots distributed between them at character generation.

Way I see it, if you're playing a Dawn, you're probably going to want to rub combat Charms all over your face to begin with. Why impose an xp tax on everything that isn't combat? Just let the player get on with it.

>> No.30016362

Why would anyone make a pure social character without any other skills in say combat or something?

>> No.30016375

>>30016294
>>30016308

Fun fact, the tipping of the hat evolved from the more elaborate action of taking the hat off and making a bow.

>> No.30016376

>>30016362

Because they're a masochist, I suppose.

>> No.30016377

>>30016362
They wouldn't. People like that are as stupid as the ones who think Sorcery should be able to do everything and by having it they should never need to take any other charms except maybe a perfect defence.

>> No.30016380

>>30016250
Enlightened Essence is fairly common as far as it goes, but mortals with TMA slightly less so, since it has a prerequisite of enlightened essence in the first place.
I had a player who specifically requested I feature less common supernatural things in my DB Game, so I'm making godblooded, enlightened mortals, those creepy death-terrestrials, raksha, and all manner of spirits more prominent (even if I'm not actually changing the numbers, they're featured more).
The husband of one of the PCs has a Retainers background to represent a bunch of enlightened nurses because he's a doctor who studied at the Heptagram, and they're currently on an island ruled by a god through his endowed godblooded priestesses.

>>30016275
A 1m perfect disguise isn't remotely good as people make them out to be?

>> No.30016392

>>30016260

Many thanks! I've been working on this for a while, and it's amazed me how many people have volunteered art, though we'll see how much of it manifests in the end.

>> No.30016393

>>30016380
>A 1m perfect disguise

And that would be?

>> No.30016405

>>30016289
Interesting. In my games, I assume that Terrestrial Martial Arts and mortals with Enlightened Essence are common enough that you're significantly more likely to get a pair of Golden Janissaries to help with your town's haunting problem than you are to get a single Immaculate Monk if you live out in the Threshold. It's still not too likely, mind you, but I tend to have things like traveling monks taking Enlightened children to their monasteries, the rare Essence 3 mortal sorcerer taking on apprentices and teaching them Thaumaturgy and using rituals to awaken their essence, and so forth.

Nowhere near the proliferation that exists in, say, a D&D setting, but common enough that, for example, everyone in town remembers when the Even Blade swordsman invited the three Sanchez Boys to come back to his dojo in Chiaroscuro with him. Common enough that Djala enclaves are constantly rumored to be full of impossible martial arts, summoned demons, and so forth - even when most enclaves only have one or two elders at Essence 3, and even those are rarely Sorcerously initiated.

I think it's interesting how everyone tends to have a somewhat different take on how much proliferation of magic there is among mortals.

>> No.30016407

>>30008163
The last time I played Scion, it was with a friend's set of house rules. Swear to god, that thing was a /manuscript/. Exalted has terrible system problems, but Scion is worse.

Both are getting new editions, and badly need them. Of the two, however, Exalted is less likely to blow up in your face if you're aware of its issues. Scion mostly just has this slow muttering collapse no matter what you do.

>> No.30016425

>>30016362
Because you're trying to play a pacifist or something, I guess? Or you're doubling down super hard on Social to have meat shields protecting you? Honestly, even a hyper-social character should at least have Dodge or Martial Arts, the same way that even a hyper-combat character should make sure they have a good MDV.

>> No.30016444

>>30016275
There are maybe 30 Nights, 20 Days, and 10 whatever the infernals are. Yes, those few are better at pure infiltration, but they do it in a different way. As opposed to the 275-295 Lunars capable of turning into a house cat or the master's favorite dog and simply listening in on everything.

>> No.30016446

>>30016380
>A 1m perfect disguise isn't remotely good as people make them out to be?
Those 'perfect disguises' can be seen right through with any kind of essence sight, Fate detection, or even just enough raw prowess to spot the Tell. Compared to the Ebon Dragon charm that lets you change everything down to your very destiny, or to Sidereal perfect disguises, that's some punk bitch shit.

>> No.30016457

>>30008163
>>30016407
Fair note - if you /do/ want to play either, don't wait for that new edition. Exalted 3E has been in a state of "soon" for over a year, and I don't even know if Scion 2 has a release date announced for it yet.

If you really want to get into White Wolf, you could do worse than trying out the (new) World of Darkness. The mechanical badness there seems mostly confined to individual books or quickly fixable subjects, with the core system holding together pretty well for what it wants to do.

>> No.30016468

>>30016237
>>30016257
But new players aren't allowed to be better than the veterans in any way, right? Besides, I'm new at tabletops, and I want to avoid becoming That Guy, so being bland would be a better option than being insufferable.

>> No.30016491

>>30016468
>But new players aren't allowed to be better than the veterans in any way, right?

Whoever's been feeding you his cock should probably stop, it's started to choke out your brain.

>> No.30016497

So... What do mortals with enlightened essence actually have access to, charms-wise? TMAs and, at Essence 3, Terrestrial Circle Sorcery, obviously. But aside from that, do they get access to spirit charms or something? Can they attune to artifacts if they stumble across one? Or do they just have nothing to spend their essence on if they don't pick up martial arts/sorcery? This was a point I've never been clear on.

>> No.30016513

>>30016446
Because everybody is constantly burning motes to check if the stray cat is an anathema. /sarcasm

>> No.30016514

>>30016497
I know they can attune artifacts for sure, but I don't know about Spirit charms.

>> No.30016518

>>30016468
Exalts are by their very nature insufferable. The Exaltations choose only those who will actively use the power bestowed on them (to avoid people making emo "I didn't ask for this" characters or Exalted dirt farmers who just don't give a shit about anyone or anything).

Also the 4th Law of Physics in Creation states "the more dramatically you do something, the more likely you are to succeed and the better you will be at it". Stunting is like gravity in Exalted, it's a thing that is there and that shapes how people live their lives.

>> No.30016534

>>30015293
That's not how Sidereal Exaltation works. If you're destined to become one, you're destined to become one - a Solar Exaltation can't shoulder-barge it out of the way and say "I get dibs, I'm gold". Same thing for a Terrestrial, actually - if you were going to be Exalted through your blood, you wouldn't have been chosen by the Sun.

A more likely scenario would be the child of a deity and his/her mortal lover, kept in Yu-Shan and hidden away because that shit is totally illegal - not that anyone cares, but it'd be embarrassing blackmail material.

>> No.30016535

>>30016497
>But aside from that, do they get access to spirit charms or something?
Nah, they gotta go further for that.

>Can they attune to artifacts if they stumble across one?
Yep. Their motes attune as good as anyone else's.

>Or do they just have nothing to spend their essence on if they don't pick up martial arts/sorcery?
They can also use their pool to ease thaumaturgy, which is a big one. Assembly lines of awakened thaumaturges turning iron into gold and gold into orichalcum is a thing that's often done by those trying (foolishly, I feel) to recreate the First Age.

As well, being awakened, they no longer count as 'mortal' for the purposes of abilities, so several Charms no longer autokill them, for example.

>> No.30016537

>>30016518
>insufferable
I do not think that word means what you think it means.

>> No.30016541

>>30016468
Listen, one of the most core mechanics of Exalted is Stunting. Stunting gives you bonus dice, and is the main method of regaining essence (mana) and willpower points, generally speaking. It even gets you bonus XP. Stunting is done by describing your action in a dramatic way, interacting with the environment in the middle of an encounter, and using your time in the spotlight to make the entire group ooh and aah at the cool shit you're doing.

The system, down to its very core, is built around taking your time in the spotlight and being as badass as possible in it, because you actually suffer mechanically by being boring.

>> No.30016547

>>30016497
They can attune to artifacts (no MM bonus), learn Martial Arts, and learn Sorcery. And that's about it, I think, unless you count thinks like being able to spend motes to reduce thaumaturgy costs.

>> No.30016550

>>30016534
>Same thing for a Terrestrial, actually - if you were going to be Exalted through your blood, you wouldn't have been chosen by the Sun.
Now I know that's bullshit.

>> No.30016555

>>30016513

If you're doing anything worth spying on, yes, at least one person present has Scene-long or better essence sight up.

>> No.30016559

>>30016497
Enlightened Mortals don't have any native charms. They can use their essence for:

- Thaumaturgy
- Terrestrial Martial Arts
- Sorcery
- Attuning to artifacts

Two lesser known ones are:
- If they get hold of a Yasal Crystal with a spirit in it. they can use their essence to power the spirit charms they gain access to.
- The first Step in each dragon-king Dark Path, since the first steps can be learned by anything that dies due to them being so tied to the Underworld.

>> No.30016566

>>30016534
>That's not how Sidereal Exaltation works. If you're destined to become one, you're destined to become one - a Solar Exaltation can't shoulder-barge it out of the way and say "I get dibs, I'm gold". Same thing for a Terrestrial, actually - if you were going to be Exalted through your blood, you wouldn't have been chosen by the Sun.
That's 100% wrong. Someone with the bloodline capable of becoming a Terrestrial or the fate of becoming a Sidereal can instead exalt as a Solaroid or Lunar and throw the whole system into disarray if it happens before their destined date of Sidereal exaltation.

>> No.30016576

>>30016534
>Same thing for a Terrestrial, actually - if you were going to be Exalted through your blood, you wouldn't have been chosen by the Sun.

Not true, Solars can come from pure bred Dynast families and even take the Breeding background to represent the Terrestrial nature of their blood, it just won't have any mechanical benefit except making it more likely that their kids will exalt as DBs.

>> No.30016578

>>30016535
>Nah, they gotta go further for that.
So enlightened mortals don't have access to any excellencies?

>> No.30016592

>>30016578
Nope. To get those they need to be a Godblood or Half-Caste.

>> No.30016595

>>30016550
Word of God, anon. The Terrestrial Exaltation is not a consolation prize for those who don't become Solars. The Solar Exaltation doesn't take precedence over any other kind.

Do you think a Primordial War-era newborn Terrestrial with Breeding N/A would be able to Exalt as a Solar?

>> No.30016596

>>30016578

Not by default, no.

>> No.30016607

>>30016595
>The Solar Exaltation doesn't take precedence over any other kind.

The Godblood rules disagree with you.

>Do you think a Primordial War-era newborn Terrestrial with Breeding N/A would be able to Exalt as a Solar?

Of course, if he was chosen before he exalted as a DB.

>> No.30016612

>>30016595
Yes, if they haven't exalted as a Terrestrial yet. It's a known fact that Dynasts with good breeding have exalted Solar.

>> No.30016640

>>30016592
>>30016596
That's disappointing. I'll probably house rule that enlightened mortals can get basic excellencies with a dice cap of their rating in the ability without specialties. It's good to know how it works by default, though.

>> No.30016657

>>30016640
First Excellencies, sure. But they're still mortal, they shouldn't auto-succeed on anything or get do-over powers.

>> No.30016690

>>30016576
You take the Terrestrial Bloodline merit to represent that, not Breeding.

>>30016607
>The Godblood rules disagree with you.
That's a totally different situation. That's for determining the magical primacy of a godblood, and has nothing to do with the selection of actual Exalts.

>> No.30016700

Onslaught penalties are applied with each successive attack in a flurry against a single attacker. You don't have to hit for them to work. I thought this was obvious, plain as day. Onslaught penalties are one of the easiest things to figure out.

>> No.30016714

>>30016260
>being this much of a faggot

>> No.30016725

>>30016657
Yeah, I was definitely thinking first excellencies. Maybe at a rate of 2m per die. I was also considering second excellencies at a rate of 4m per success, which would cap out at 8m for two successes, since the dice cap at maximum would be five dice.

But yeah, maybe second excellencies are a bad choice. After all, their whole schtick is not needing to roll for things with a low threshold because that stuff is beneath an Exalt. That doesn't really fit mortals, even enlightened ones.

I just want to make sure that any excellency I give them isn't as good as the worst excellencies of other splats - namely the first Sidereal and second Terrestrial excellencies.

>> No.30016742

>>30016700
RAW disagrees, plain as day, where it clarifies in a table that the attacks need to hit. As far as I can tell, there's no errata disagreeing with that either. Obviously, I would houserule it to say that the table is wrong, because it makes sense for it to be wrong. But by RAW, you need to actually hit someone to start applying onslaught penalties.

>> No.30016763

>>30016714
If being polite and recognizing the investment of a member of the Exalted community makes me a faggot, then yes, I am a huge fucking faggot.

On the other hand, you, sir, are an asshole who has never done anything for Exalted, so I'm not sure why I should heed your opinion.

>> No.30016788

So, I'm playing Metal Gear Revengeance, and I can't help but think about how to represent all of these superhuman characters in Exalted. Raiden, for example, is either a Moonsilver Alchemical or a Solar with Athletics and Melee and an absolutely fuckton of Prosthetics of Clockwork Elegance.

But there's one thing I'm not sure on. There's a character with a weapon that can go rigid and be used as a fuckhuge spear, but it can also go flexible/limp/prehensile and be used as a sort of whip or ropedagger. How do I stat that? I'm considering taking the Chain Daiklave, upgrading it to Artifact 3, having its collapsed form function as a Dire Lance instead of a Short Daiklave, and giving it all of the tags that a whip has.

Thoughts?

>> No.30016807

>>30016763
I think he's talking about the way you talk.
>tip hat
>heed
>sir
>show of recognition
That's really offputting to the neckbeards who bitch and moan about 'fedoracore' ruining 'nerd culture.' Personally, I don't mind it. I kind of like it, even. But that's probably where he's coming from.

>> No.30016808

>>30016742
That table does not precise anything. Tables are not where precisions are given. They are where information is condensed for STs to refer to quickly. The table is wrong.

>> No.30016833

>>30016808
I would agree with you if there was even the slightest hint of errata correcting the table. Unfortunately, there isn't, which means that table is clarifying a point glossed over in the main description. Again, I'm totally in the camp of houseruling the table as incorrect, but you've got to recognize that by RAW (if not by RAI) the table is correct until errata counters it.

This is a 'yeah, you should houserule that' situation not a 'nah, the table's wrong, it says so right here' situation.

>> No.30016881

>>30016807
So it's rudeness calling politeness a bitch? "Tipping your hat" is a figure of speach that has existed for about as long as people have worn hats. "Show of recognition" is me derping my way into polite english speach despite english not being my main language, so I can get why he found it retarded, but holy shit, if it's the kind of jealous reactions I get from those neckbeards, then I guess I'm doing alright!

That "fedoracore" shit isn't even a real thing.

>> No.30016912

>>30016881
Yeah, I'm on your side, mate, I just wanted to explain why he was having that reaction, not justifying it. The way you talk is fine with me, and it actually is properly polite.

And yeah, that 'fedoracore' shit is largely a fiction, though it does evoke images like this one:
>>30016294

>> No.30016918

>>30016576
1st - you take a Merit to represent that, not the Breeding background.

2nd - lol scroll of heroes

>> No.30016923

>>30016918
>2nd - lol scroll of heroes

"I don't like it, therefore it's wrong" only applies to the fluff chapters of Infernals.

>> No.30016927

>>30016407
>Scion mostly just has this slow muttering collapse no matter what you do.
Exalted has that too the moment somebody starts seriously digging into solar combat charms.

>> No.30016930

>>30016881
Quite.

>> No.30016950

>>30016833
Thing is I don't give a shit about "RAW". By RAW, Yozis can jump 5 days back in time and some weapons have Rate 15. There is absolutely no point in upholding RAW.

>> No.30017015

>>30016918
>1st - you take a Merit to represent that, not the Breeding background.
No, the Breeding Background actually does represent your likelihood of your children exalting Terrestrial as of the Scroll of Errata.

You roll 1d10 and try to get equal to or under the number provided based on the parents' breeding. If both parents are well-bred mortal patricians/dynasts, they exalt on 1-2. If one is Terrestrial and the other mortal, it's 1-3. If both are Terrestrial, it's 3-4. The ratings of each parent's Breeding is added to that as well. So, two Terrestrials who each have Breeding 3 will have 100% of their children exalt. A Terrestrial with Breeding 3 who boinks a mortal with Breeding 3 will have a 1-9 for their kids.

This is why well-bred mortals are still useful politically in arranged marriages.

Oh, and it doesn't specify, but I guess a poorly-bred dynast (i.e. they still count as a dynast but have no Breeding background) would have a 1/10 chance of a kid with a commoner exalting? That explains House Nellens, at any rate.

>> No.30017027

>>30016950
I'm not talking about upholding RAW. I'm talking about recognizing that the way onslaught works, mechanically, is that it only takes effect on a hit, and that doing otherwise is just a smart houserule.

>> No.30017069

>>30016468
>But new players aren't allowed to be better than the veterans in any way, right?
Wut. Don't play with anybody who tries to feed you shit like that. They're 99% certainty That Guy.

If you're afraid of hogging the spotlight accidentally?
Well, that CAN happen, if you for example dump all your charms into combat and minmax out, you're going to be unkillable combat monster.

So, just don't do that. Spread around. Get some combat so that you're not defenceless, grab some social, and then more stuff.

Do you actually WANT to be the doctor and not just think of playing a healbot because you're "supposed" to?
Then take Twilight Caste and stock up on some Medicine charms.

>> No.30017107

>>30016763
>>being this much of a faggot

>> No.30017128

>>30016497
>But aside from that, do they get access to spirit charms or something?
You can get a couple in-born Spirit charms if you play an approptiate God-blood (or demon, ghost, w/e).
But only a couple and only at chargen, you can't go like Eclipse and start learning stuff willy-nilly.

Also, everybody can have Fae Graces forged for them and learn Fae Charms. That requires wilfully submitting yourself to the Raksha, though, which is a perilous affair.

>> No.30017129

>>30017107
>Using two ">" for greentext.
>Being a cunt about someone thanking a creator of OC.
Get a load of this idiot.

>> No.30017179

>>30016923
Oh no, it also applies to pretty much everything between the first and last chapters of the Scroll of Heroes. Merits and the god-blooded rules are a particular mess, since the former included many effects that either don't make sense or should be mutations, while the latter was balanced off of first edition Deadly Beastman Transformation.

First edition Deadly Beastman Transformation. The Charm that could net you a natural Strength of 17 without really trying very hard to min-max. The reason all the other Lunar Charms in that edition were total shit. There's one Abomination that can be taken multiple times that's only a slightly toned-down version of that.

>> No.30017344

>>30016559
>The first Step in each dragon-king Dark Path

>heal by eating corpses of sentient beings
>recover motes by drinking blood
>attune an artifact for Willpower instead of motes
>create anger intimacy and make target go Berserk, ignite everything flammable within 10ft
>1 auto success global excellency costes Aggravated health level

Those first two are actually ok as long as you're cool with cannibalism.

>> No.30017376

>>30017069
Everything is represented in KoC...

Misho is a great example of how a twinked twilight works. He's three great things: Crafter, Healer, Swordsman.

>> No.30017415

>>30017376
Misho is pretty damng high XP and a flaw/merit junkie.

Also, don't forget Sorcery.

>> No.30017423

>>30017415
Yeah Misho is bullshit like that. Same as Ten.

>> No.30017528

>>30017376
>>30017415
>>30017423

Resonance Ben has found a way to weaponize resonance.

>> No.30017622

>>30017528
Not really that out-there. Some Resonance effects already just screw over everyone except the Abyssal, as long as they don't care about wanton Blighting vents or becoming a Neverborn sockpuppet.

>> No.30017662

>>30017528
>>30017622
Yeah, Resonance Bombing has always been a potent weapon in the Abyssal arsenal.

>> No.30017673

>>30017662
>Abyssals
>Potent weapons
Pick one, and only one.

>> No.30017688

>>30017622
>>30017662
But as Jukashi himself pointed out, doing it in the fashion Ben did, it not how it works.

>> No.30017767

>>30017688
>>30017673
You can blight entire landscapes, at Essence x 10 yards, Essence x 100 yards, or even Essence x 100 miles depending on how much Resonance you're purging at the moment. That's enough to ruin entire cities, possibly even open up shadowlands to start marching ghosts through. It actually is a really potent option, as long as you're okay with fucking up entire regions and having any mortals you might actually care about die.

>> No.30017784

>>30017688
Lots of things in KoC aren't how Exalted works, but he may have accidentally stumbled onto something that does and not realized it in the haze of the god of locks somehow being tied to how the concept of locks worked. Oops, I accidentally the entire plot!

>> No.30017798

>>30017767
Is it true that Shadowlands can only march armies of the undead out of the Underworld and into Creation during the day? Because at night when you cross the border ou end up in the underworld instead of Creation?

>> No.30017812

>>30017798
I've got no clue how that effect works. Does a shadowland switch places during the day/night or something?

>> No.30017840

>>30017812
They're in both worlds at once. If you cross the border from inside to outside the shadowland in daylight you end up in creation, at night you end up in the underworld.

>> No.30017869

>>30017840
If you're standing at the border of one as the sun sets, do you actually see the space past the border shift over from Creation to Underworld? And for those standing outside of it, does nothing appear to change until they step in and find the landscape behind them altered?

>> No.30017900

>>30017869
The underworld looks like a grey, dismal version of Creation, possibly altered if there are very old ghosts around who remember what that land used to look like in their lifetime rather than what it looks like now.

I imagine as the sun sets and the light fades everything goes dark and grey, and then the pale, ghostly imitation of the sun starts to rise the second the Daystar sinks beneath the horizon. That's when you know you're in the other world.

>> No.30017989

How do a underworld artifacts work?
Like, can you use them in creation or do they disappear in sunlight or something?
Are they all just dead reflections of what once existed?

>> No.30018001

>>30017989
Underworld reflections of artifacts disappear in sunlight, if that's what you're asking.

>> No.30018080

>>30004608
>>30004130
Get out of here STALKER

>> No.30018115

>>30018080

Spurning a Yanderes love only makes them more "affectionate".

>> No.30018124

>>30016788
Yeah, whip should work.

Also, you can set the whole thing in Autochtonia with everyboyd as Exalts. Except for Sam, who is a Solar (exaltation snuck in during one of the breaching experiments) and Armstrong as Cece/Malfeas Infernal, driving the plot

>> No.30018163

>>30018124
>Sam
>A Solar
>Not a heroic Mortal in power armor
It's like you didn't even get the point of his character.

>> No.30018168

>>30018001
Well yeah, I'm wondering at the usefulness of such artifacts if an exalt were to come across one.

>> No.30018180

>>30018124
COADJUTORS, SON!

>> No.30018212

>>30004282
I created a Solar one time that focused on crafting, and crafting charms with a tiny bit of sorcery.

I fucking hated it. I sat around for weeks doing experiments. The party refused to wait for me to be ready for combat. I finally just gave the fuck up and created myself an enlightened mortal thrall with something like 14 health levels, and 10 strength. Fuck that character. Fuck that party. I gave them exactly what they wanted through what was effectively The Hulk in Exalted form.

>> No.30018291

>>30018212

Isn't there one or two ways to speed up crafting? Twilights would seem quite gimped if there wasn't.

>> No.30018306 [DELETED] 

>>30018163
It's like I don't want to dissolve the precepts of the setting for the sake of one character.

Sam, Big Boss, etc are all portable into Exalted as Solars, trying to do them as mortals will plain not work.

>> No.30018325

>>30018291
You can xEssence your speed, so 3 days/day of work at minimum essence.

WST can't craft anymore after the semi-errata.

>> No.30018347

>>30018291
No. There is an errata in Ink Monkeys that my group used which didn't allow me to use half of my charms for checks that would take multiple seasons, or for labs that cost more than a fixed amount at a certain quality rating, and so forth. Creating strong artifacts takes too long for a an impatient group.

>> No.30018359

>>30018163
It's like I don't want to dissolve the precepts of the setting for the sake of one character.

Sam, The Boss, etc are all portable into Exalted as Solars, trying to do them as mortals will plain not work.

>> No.30018365

>>30016491
>>30017069
It's more my inferiority complex speaking, as I have never been in a tabletop game before and I stumble over my words whenever I talk for longer than 10 seconds.

>>30016518
>>30016541
Wouldn't describing your actions this way leave you open to getting attacked by a fellow player or the Storyteller, and what's keeping the Storyteller from ruling that the described action gets a -2 dice penalty for being lame or stupid?

>> No.30018368

>>30018347
Solars live for 3 millenia and you get 10XP/year of downtime. How the fuck impatient can they be when they're getting free shit AND you're making them uber-artifacts.

>> No.30018370

>>30018359
Still, it's fucking stupid to take a character who's whole point is "He's a normal dude, but he can keep up with the super-powered weirdos of the setting" and then make him one of the super-powered weirdos of the setting.

>> No.30018382

>>30018368
Pretty fucking impatient. The Lunar even used social charms on me to make me not want to build things, and go with them.

>> No.30018390

>>30018365
>Wouldn't describing your actions this way leave you open to getting attacked by a fellow player or the Storyteller

What on earth are you talking about?

>and what's keeping the Storyteller from ruling that the described action gets a -2 dice penalty for being lame or stupid?

No, you don't take anti-stunt penalties. Worst case scenario you say "I hit it with my daiklaive" or " I stand back and chant" and get no stunt bonus, but never penalised for being a boring bastard.

>> No.30018395

>>30018370
Meant to add

At least make him a Dragon-Blood, if you have to make him exalted. That fits decently well, and it gives him a pretty decent chance of competing.

>> No.30018399

>>30018347

God damn. I can only imagine what it'd be like for manse creation.

>> No.30018407

>>30018382
>The Lunar even used social charms on me to make me not want to build things, and go with them.

So basically your friends are just dickheads.

>> No.30018429

>>30018368
>Using xp downtime tables

Don't go down that road to try and make characters. It's a truly terrible one.

>> No.30018435

>>30018368
>10XP/Year of downtime

That's fucking it? If you have a pair of really tough, pitched battles, that's nearly 10 XP right there. How the fuck does 1 year of training and refinement, only get you 10 XP?

>> No.30018449

>>30018407
What's worse is that I am, and was dating the Lunar at the time. Fucking bitch, I swear.

>> No.30018461

>>30018435
Because you're not actually doing anything. The Pattern Spiders get bored because they have to suffer through time skips while you can just cut to the next relevant scene, so they stop doling out as much XP.

>> No.30018475

>>30018365
>It's more my inferiority complex speaking, as I have never been in a tabletop game before and I stumble over my words whenever I talk for longer than 10 seconds.
Well, you gotta wrestle with that yourself. But don't let it hobble your character. Just make what you find fun.

>Wouldn't describing your actions this way leave you open to getting attacked by a fellow player or the Storyteller
Hell no.

>and what's keeping the Storyteller from ruling that the described action gets a -2 dice penalty for being lame or stupid?
The Rrrrules!
And not being a dickwagon.
At worst you don't get the stunt bonus if you get repetitive (springing off a wall to stab some guy is cool. Doing it repeatedly in the same fight loses it's lustre)

>> No.30018478

>>30018168
For certain artifacts, crazy useful. For example, there are often underworld versions of unique first age masterpieces that likes of which haven't been seen since they were destroyed in the Usurpation. Just, you know, don't use them in Creation during daylight.

>> No.30018490

>>30018429
Personally, I had an idea to calculate how much time you'd have after factoring in sleeping, eating, obligations, and so on, then you have that much training time to spend.

The XP cost doesn't matter, just how long it takes you to train. So if you've got 6 month of down time, and during that time you have an effective 1 month to train, then you could spend that month on 4 charms that each take a week to train.

>> No.30018521

>>30018325
>You can xEssence your speed, so 3 days/day of work at minimum essence.
No, it's 3xEssence your speed. So nine days per day at the minimum essence.

>> No.30018535

>>30018365
>Wouldn't describing your actions this way leave you open to getting attacked by a fellow player or the Storyteller, and what's keeping the Storyteller from ruling that the described action gets a -2 dice penalty for being lame or stupid?

That's not how Exalted works. Stunts are part of the rules.

Describing your action in any way that's more interesting than "I attack him with my sword" grants 1 bonus die and regens 2 motes.

Describing an action AND using the environment in an interesting or clever or cool way grants 4 motes and 2 dice.

Those are both very easy to achieve and happen basically every other action (or even every action if you're on a roll).

3-dice-stunts are very rare, though. They happen when you describe an action in such a way that everyone around the table says "This is a 3 dice stunt". They grant 3 dice (duh) and 6 motes.

You might notice that stunt rules do not mention length. That's because stunts don't need to be long. It's concentrated coolness. Length, in excess, dilutes it.

>> No.30018547

>>30018370
Normal mortal keeping up in a straight fight with a combative Exalt is not a thing that happens in the setting.

So, instead of wrecking the setting, I move the goalposts of the character.
First, he is an outstandingly extraordinary human. That's what a Solar IS.
Second, focus it on "human" vs "cyborg" and not "completely normaly guy" (he is fucking not) vs. "enhanced guy".
Also, given that IC alchemicals have no idea wut a solar is, in-character he is still the same.

>> No.30018559

>>30018395
>At least make him a Dragon-Blood, if you have to make him exalted. That fits decently well, and it gives him a pretty decent chance of competing.
Dragon bloodline has much a harder time showing up out of nowhere in Autobotia.

>> No.30018560

>>30018535
>They grant 3 dice (duh) and 6 motes.
Except they'll basically always grant 1 xp instead of 6m, because come the fuck on.

>> No.30018590
File: 714 KB, 634x434, Incarnae.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

For reasons that are not important, you are face to face with The Unconquered Sun and are about to roll Join Battle.

Before you do, you have 10 words to try and make him suppress as many virtues as possible, thus giving you a sporting chance in the upcoming duel.

What do you say?

>> No.30018592

>>30018490
But those training times already account for sleeping, eating and other upkeep.
That's a week as "7 days of 8 hours per day training regime" not a week as "175 hours time span of pure training"

>> No.30018632

>>30018559
Why wouldn't some of the humans taken way back in the day have just a drop or two of Dragonblooded blood in them? Enough for one or two Dragonblooded to show up every now and then, but not enough to actually form any proper dynasties? Then you have 'exceptional human being' versus 'superhuman cyborgs.' You can even play up the power angle as an equalizer angle.

>> No.30018634

>>30018435
>That's fucking it? If you have a pair of really tough, pitched battles, that's nearly 10 XP right there. How the fuck does 1 year of training and refinement, only get you 10 XP?
Downtime XP is terrible. More news at 11.

>> No.30018671

>>30018590
"I surrender my sword. Please treat me with honor, sir."

That should compel him to follow Valor to not strike down an unarmed foe, Temperence to respect the surrender and the code of honor, and Compassion to not do anything cruel or vindictive. I just have to hope his Conviction can't override all those because my existence is something that endangered Creation itself.

>> No.30018689

>>30018632
1)Elemental powers are more going away from 'human theme he has than Solar. And he'll still need the same power level to challenge the Alchemicals, so it's pointless to pick a "weaker" splat.
2)Like hell they wouldn't form dynasties, Autochtonian society would latch on a DB and form governmental breeding programs. Humans living in Auto's guts grab every damn advantage they can to survive the cyberpunk.

>> No.30018743

>>30018590
You could say anything you want and then get ganked by Luna as she doesn't follow the rules.

>> No.30018749

>>30018689
If only one dragonblooded pops up every few hundred years to begin with, there won't be enough of the damn things to form a dynasty, and doing so won't even be advantageous when they've instead spent their limited resources building ten dozen Alchemicals - who can grow up to become entire cities - in the time it would take just to find a breeding pair of Dragonblooded. And honestly, I see Dragonblooded as more inherently human than Solars are, despite the themes of their powers. They have power inherent in their blood as a result of their ethnic background, rather than having power crammed into their soul by a floating shard of pure essence. That strikes me as a lot more human and inherent than any of the Celestial exaltations, even if they are often elemental in expression.

All that said - and this is 100% tangent - wouldn't Dragonblooded of the elementals of Autocthon be neat? I doubt it could ever happen this way, but what if Dragonblooded who lived for a few generations in Autocthonia had their aspects reattune to Autocthonian elements?

>> No.30018754
File: 63 KB, 600x668, 1380253522272.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>30018743
No it's just Sol, I just don't have any pictures of just him except this.

>> No.30018764
File: 374 KB, 822x1300, Unconquerred Sun.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>30018754
Here's one for you. He even has his panoply.

>> No.30018778
File: 161 KB, 1280x720, tonight yuusha.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>30018743

Ah, the refreshing cruelty of Heaven's Devil.

>> No.30018782
File: 377 KB, 1147x665, 1391547689036.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>30018754

>Conky is told that Creation needs him.

>> No.30018783

>>30018689
Hm, I've never thought about it but that would be an interesting thing to add to the Autobot; Dragon blooded.
Not enough to make anything like the Realm; but enough that they're common place in some of the big cities.

>> No.30018784

>>30018764
>He even has his panoply.

I don't see a horn in his hand.

>> No.30018793

>>30018390
>>30018475
>>30018535
So, stunting has no downside? There's nothing to stop people from spamming stunts every turn?

>> No.30018811

>>30018793
If you're stunts get repetitive or are just plain retarded then they get downgraded a level, but never below 1 die as long as you make some sort of token effort.

>> No.30018820
File: 498 KB, 228x290, cocaine.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>30018782
>The UCS is told creation needs him.

"That's too bad, because..." Pic related.

>> No.30018840

>>30018793
>There's nothing to stop people from spamming stunts every turn?

The entire combat system is designed with the assumption that people will be 1-2 die stunting every single turn. It's the only consistent way to recover motes in battle.

>> No.30018841

>>30018793
Not a one.

The whole point is that they're meant to make the game more fun, and encourage you to do stuff other than stand in place and attack, like DnD does.

>> No.30018849

>>30018749
The thing is, the perception of Celestial exaltation as something "superweapon shard jammed into your body" ruins a bunch of neat thematics. I've read some dev posts with rants on that topic and I agree with them - so I do not treat it as such.

>All that said - and this is 100% tangent - wouldn't Dragonblooded of the elementals of Autocthon be neat?
Veery much neat, indeed. Although messy to work out the mechanics.

> I doubt it could ever happen this way, but what if Dragonblooded who lived for a few generations in Autocthonia had their aspects reattune to Autocthonian elements?
Yeah, don't think it'd work that way. Maybe a dragonblooded variant worked out by Auto before going to sleep, but that would replace the Alchemicals.

>> No.30018878

>>30018793
Yes, absolutely no downsides. Pour your creativity out.

There are some limits on how much stuff you can get out of them and what they allow to do, but you NEVER lose anything by doing a stunt.

>> No.30018926

>>30018793
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?252712-Necro-EXALTED-2E-Combat-201

It's a poor format version since WW took down the forum & wiki, but it explains Exalted combat in a way that newbies can understand. It includes a section on stunting.

>> No.30018934

>>30018749
Aren't there already humans attuned to the elemental poles of Auto?
I seem to recall that there are crystal people living in his brain.

>> No.30018958

>>30018934
Yes, those are a thing.

>> No.30018964

>>30018793
The idea is that you SHOULD be stunting every single turn. Every single action, ideally. The game should be overflowing with descriptions and actions and cinematics.

>> No.30018987

>>30018849
>The thing is, the perception of Celestial exaltation as something "superweapon shard jammed into your body" ruins a bunch of neat thematics. I've read some dev posts with rants on that topic and I agree with them - so I do not treat it as such.
Then what is it, if it isn't some not-you soul getting fused to your actually-you soul? I agree, that's definitely problematic, because it makes the powers seem inherently external to the self, but what's the alternative explanation?

>> No.30019007

>>30018934
That's different from DBs attuned to the elemental poles. They're much closer in theme to, say, Wyld Mutants or beastfolk. Radically-altered humans with properties ingrained on them by their environments, rather than superhumans attuned to certain environmental forces.

>> No.30019071

>>30018811
>>30018840
>>30018841
>>30018878
>>30018926
>>30018964
Oh, so they are a roleplaying incentive as well as a game mechanic. Silly me for using JRPG logic where it does not belong. Thanks for the explanations.

>> No.30019081

>>30018987
Well, there isn't really (maybe 3e will give something). So I just ignore it whenever it conflicts with something. Such as this case of Sam.

Although, I do find Alchemicals' Badass rating rise up because they exalt by BARE CORE OF THEIR SOUL grasping reins of RAW PRIMORDIAL POWER and wrestling them into animating a doll of clay and brass into life.

>> No.30019124

>>30019071
Yeah, they're also a response to other RPGs' habit of penalizing actions. When you do something badass in D&D like swing across the room on a rope in order to drop down on and attack someone, you take huge penalties because that's a tricky maneuver. When you do that exact same thing in Exalted, you get bonus dice and bonus character resources because that's badass and you should do stuff like that more often.

>> No.30019129
File: 263 KB, 404x503, Reweaving.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

So, am I missing something, or is Body-Reweaving Matrix a fucking INSANE charm?

>> No.30019163

>>30019081
Yeah, Alchemicals and Dragonblooded always seemed coolest to me because their power actually is inherent to them. Alchemicals really are just fucking sweet because of their own souls, and Dragonblooded have the potential of power from birth, granted to them through their bloodlines, same as how a keen wit or a strong body pass down mortal bloodlines.

The others, though, get external power granted to them, and then it goes on to someone new after they die. It's like giving their soul a sword or something. Sure, it makes them more dangerous, and its wielded with their own power, but it's not actually themselves.

>> No.30019171

>>30019071
Yeah, it's a mechanical advantage of the "Rule of Cool".

eg. I've had a player throw a chakram and describe it as throwing it in such a way that it bounced off the enemy to hit another then hitting the wall and him catching it. Ordinarily chakrams don't return to you after yo uthrow them, but it was pretty cool, so he got a 2 die stunt (using the environment) and got to reuse his chakram.

If he'd tried it again he'd have got a 1 die stunt for repetition and it would have got stuck in the wall or something, so he had to come up with other stunts instead.

>> No.30019179

>>30019129
Not really. It costs a lot. Lunars get 2B AND 1L per action by committing 5 motes to DBT.

>> No.30019186

So, I've been diving back into Exalted after a long hiatus, trying to figure out what the general combat "tiers" are. Am I getting this right for general combat broken-ness?

1- Twilight Solar (Essence Gathering Temper + Anima ability + soak charm lolz)
2- Lunar (Reliable mote regain vs. anyone not spamming PD, crazy-high soak, "backstab" value of Rage charms)
3- non-twilight solar (No reliable mote regain)
4- Sidreal (poor charms, smaller essence pool... but Sidreal martial arts)
5- Abyssal (needs to engineer a resonance bomb or something to create a shadowland to operate at 100%. Good mote regain, though.)
6- Infernal (Weaksauce Perfect Defences, optimal choices buried across multiple charm trees)
7- Dragonbloods (Hard time even getting a Perfect Defense)
8- Fair folk (Great stats... for fighting mortals)
9- God bloods + etc.

...no idea where to put Alchemicals. Which is sad, because they're my secret, shameful love.

>> No.30019190

>>30019129
It's definitely one of the better healing charms, sure.

>> No.30019215

>>30019179
This one is 2b/1L per TICK. For a Speed 5 action, that's a mix of 10B/5L.

>> No.30019219

>>30019186
>1- Twilight Solar (Essence Gathering Temper + Anima ability + soak charm lolz)
>Twilight
>Anima ability

Wow you are out of it. Download the Scroll of Errata right now.

>> No.30019253

>>30019179
DBT? No idea what that is. I know they can heal 2B and 1L an action by paying 5 motes every action, but that's far less efficient.

>> No.30019261

>>30019163
Aren't Alchemicals basically made though?
Like, it isn't anything awesome about what the person had done, but that they needed another champion to do something; like patrol the city for miscreants or fight in the blight zones.
And Dragon-blooded all comes down to genetics. Your great great ancestor was good at this and so are you.

Solars and Lunars do get their power from the shard, and it is like getting a sword for their soul; but they have to learn how to use it. It's their sword now, and they will be different and use it in a unique way that the other shard's previous holders did.

>> No.30019275

>>30019215
Per action-tick. As in the one tick where you take your action, which there is not more than one of per action. It's just specifying when, exactly, you get that one or two levels of health back.

>> No.30019301

>>30019253
Deadly Beastman Transformation, as in their hybrid war form. Certain Charms have Gift Keyword effects keyed into parking in this shape to get benefits, such as committing two motes to Bruise Relief Method to heal two bashing per action-tick or three motes to Halting the Scarlet Flow to heal one lethal per action-tick.

>> No.30019314

>>30019163
Well, I'm not getting that feel from Dragonbloods. After all, bloodline is also kinda handed to them.

Basically, I find that metaphysics of Alchemical Exaltation make them all that much more badass, while the other splats metaphysics not that much.
Others have their own badass bonuses - Lunars' "I WILL SURVIVE!". Sidereals' "All my life has been building up to THIS MOMENT".
But metaphysics of "exaltation shards" or "power from blood" I just leave out of the frame.

>> No.30019315

>>30019219
...See, this is why I posted it. I was playing exalted back when Lunar's Moonsilver Claws added current, modified strength to your raw damage.

There was a Lunar in my last game that complained about Anima Flare keeping him from capping 100d using a Tyrant Lizard shape and excellencies

>> No.30019331

>>30019301
Oh shit, I didn't realize those were Gifts. Fuck, my lunar was being really sub-optimal.

Ah well, probably for the best. My ST might have just dropped a DeathLord on me if I was any more badass in a fight.

>> No.30019345

>>30019186
That was errataed out.

>2- Lunar (Reliable mote regain vs. anyone not spamming PD, crazy-high soak, "backstab" value of Rage charms)
Yeah, Lunars are pretty solid.

>3- non-twilight solar (No reliable mote regain)
They added 'overdrive' charms which give you a ten-mote essence pool for strictly combat-based motes which can be refilled by taking certain actions/in certain conditions during combat.

>6- Infernal (Weaksauce Perfect Defences, optimal choices buried across multiple charm trees)
They have frankly horrifying soak and health levels and one of the most powerful Ranged combos in the game, with Mind-Hand Manipulation, its upgrade that makes it invisible and makes people have -2 DV against it, the Ebon Dragon charms that let you add health levels of damage to a ranged attack, and the upgrade to Green Sun Nimbus Flare that let you add Essence unsoakable Aggro damage to an attack. Plus, Infernal Monster Style. Infernals are fucking beasts.

>7- Dragonbloods (Hard time even getting a Perfect Defense)
We calculated in a thread the other day how Dragonbloods working as a team with Performance charms can easily and cheaply toss out 100L attacks with something like a +40 to hit. Cheaper than a perfect defense that would defend against them, in fact. Dragonbloods working in a team are BEASTS.

>> No.30019348

>>30019215
No, you're reading it wrong. Not every tick, just your Action tick. When you do something, not when you're on "downtime" for whatever your Speed rating is.

>> No.30019387

>>30019186
Anima shield killed by Errata

>2- Lunar (Reliable mote regain vs. anyone not spamming PD, crazy-high soak, "backstab" value of Rage charms)
More regain killed by Errata.

>4- Sidreal (poor charms, smaller essence pool... but Sidreal martial arts)
SMAs are broken so much they're unworkable. Also, they're High Essence and Solars at high essence are so full of crazy shit.

>> No.30019394

>>30019129

'action tick' makes no sense. I think they meant 1L per action instead.

>> No.30019409

>>30019186
>Infernal (Weaksauce Perfect Defences, optimal choices buried across multiple charm trees)
Why does everyone diss the Infernal Perfect defenses? Not sure about the others, but Adorjan and Malfeas are pretty badass. If you're focusing on Adorjan, when AREN'T you moving your top speed?

And Malfeas is fucking easy to qualify for.
>There's an Old Hut, perfect defense
>Here's a small camp, perfect defense
>We're in a clearing, perfect defense
>There's a hunting trail, perfect defense

>> No.30019420

>>30019261
>Like, it isn't anything awesome about what the person had done, but that they needed another champion to do something; like patrol the city for miscreants or fight in the blight zones.
Well, that's their body. The cool part is that THE SOUL that makes an alchemical needs to commit acts of "deserves Solar Exaltation" grade over several reincarnations and then
>BARE CORE OF THEIR SOUL grasping reins of RAW PRIMORDIAL POWER and wrestling them into animating a doll of clay and brass into life.

>> No.30019447

>>30019394
"action tick" is the tick on which you take your action. It's pretty clear.

>> No.30019455

>>30019345

Meh, at some level, Horrible Death combos become redundant. It doesn't matter if you deal 500 points of aggravated damage or 50, you need to perfect that shit or die. How much essence does it cost to bust it out?

>> No.30019459

>>30019409
Their perfect defenses were balanced in a 2e environment, because they had much harder Flaws of Invulnerability than most others. With them costing much more in the 2.5 environment, they're literally the worst PDs in the game.

>> No.30019465

>>30019409
SWLIHN's & Kimbery's apply in any situation, they just cost more motes if you fail the INT+AWA roll (which Defiler's new Anima power makes impossible) or are away from the sea.

I don't like Adorjan's one, there's only so many way to describe acting like Sonic the Hedgehog on a sugar high before it just gets silly and boring.

>> No.30019478

>>30019455
Something like 9m for the leader and 5m for his backup crew. If you rotate the leader, then the essence regained from stunting is enough that you basically never need to worry about running out, while the opponent is pissing away 8m+ every round on perfect defenses alone. And DBs have quite a few Teamwork charms that work like that.

>> No.30019480

>>30019459
What annoys me, is how expensive Screaming Meat Shield is.

It doesn't have a flaw, but you already have to spend 12m 1WP just to have the guy in hand, then 9 motes on top of that every time you want to defend?

>> No.30019493

>>30019345
Overdrive pools can be of variable size, with one proposed official Lunar Charm that didn't make it potentially ballooning to 50 if you were in your territory and constantly harassing intruders every scene.

The motes are also not strictly general combat motes, but offensive motes (their other name), which can't be used for defensive actions. This is how you can regain motes but not also have the capacity to spam perfects every action.

>> No.30019528

>>30019480
It's an auto-redirect effect. If you just want to parry, don't use Screaming Meat Shield. Just parry normally with your improvised weapon that is another person. Or possibly a reanimated corpse. That ought to be a really good scam for fighting necromancers, or if you're keyed into the Ebon Dragon or Oramus, being a necromancer.

>> No.30019570

>>30019409

That's the thing. You need to stand *in* a place that has been deliberately cleared for habitation. Best not step into the jungle, son, Lunars will get you.

Also, wouldn't any kind of area of attack remove your perfect defense? The crater from an implosion bow isn't an area deliberately used for habitation, so you're ass is going to be in the wind until you can climb out of it.

>> No.30019631

>>30019409
>>30019465
The only good Infernal PDs are the Ebon Dragon perfect dodge and the SWLIHN perfect parry. And those are quite good.

>> No.30019698

>>30019631
Can you use TEDs one by attacking yourself to get through gaps / on top of buildings / up someone's ass while outside of combat?

>> No.30019732

>>30019698
You don't need to be attacked to activate a Perfect Defense, they're just usually a waste of motes on a meaningless effect. You don't even have to attack yourself to use TED's to do all that.

>> No.30019775

>>30019732
Well TED gets that combo-breaker built in and can go through any gap that isn't airtight. Activate it, shoot yourself up someone's nose and return to full size, exploding their head unless tey Perfect Defend against you.

>> No.30019807

>>30019775
Nah, you just pop out when you resolidify. If it doesn't say it does damage - such as by slipping into a crack to explode apart a cliff face - then it doesn't do damage.

>> No.30019808

>>30019775
>. Activate it, shoot yourself up someone's nose and return to full size, exploding their head unless tey Perfect Defend against you.

Or

Activate it, go up someone's nose, and be disintegrated because shadow doesn't exert any force.

>> No.30019972

So, how exactly do stunts work, when adding to DV?

>> No.30019985

>>30019972
+Stunt to DV, without dividing by two. Clarified by Errata.

>> No.30019989

>>30019985
Thanks, good to know.

>> No.30020036

>>30019985
This. Stunts provide, ultimately, a much bigger bonus to DV than they do to accuracy, since DV is the equivalent of automatic successes/external penalties.

>> No.30020190

>>30020036

I never got that myself really. Couldn't we just do it by them giving one or 2 DV?

>> No.30020206

>>30020190
I cannot figure out what you're asking here.

>> No.30020639

>re-reading Exalted 101

I love this little story.

>> No.30021370

What happens to the moonsilver in a Lunar's tattoos when they die? Can it be reclaimed? Does it remain after the body decomposes?

>> No.30021439

>>30021370
Moonsilver Tattoos require essence to be committed to them if the recipient isn't a Lunar. When a Lunar dies their exaltation leaves them, meaning they're just a mortal corpse with no motes to attune, so the tattoos cannot remain.

>> No.30021480

>>30021439
So you couldn't re-use the moonsilver to tattoo someone else anew?

>> No.30021628

>>30021480
If you can manipulate Moonsilver, I don;t see why not.

>> No.30021690

>>30021628
Alright, makes sense to me. I was just thinking that otherwise tattooed artifacts would be a terrible waste of resources if you couldn't come reclaim them after the dude died.

>> No.30021715

>>30021690
You might be able to reclaim the raw materials, but there is no way in hell you could get the tattoo as a whole.

>> No.30021758

>>30021715
That's what I meant with >>30021628 . You need the power of the Lunar tattooing charm to create new tattoos from the recycled Moonsilver.

>> No.30021780

>>30021758
Yeah. Just wanted to clarify.

>> No.30021837

>>30015430
See I told you guys people play lots of Lookshyan solars.

>> No.30021891

>>30015653
Yup, most celestial exalts are going to be straight or monosexual.

I don't think anything says most DBs are bi or gay.

>> No.30021941

>>30015739

>That alone means they're not as good of infiltrators as Night Caste.

They're not supposed to be, but EVERY lunar can infiltrate.

>>30015993
Its very, very easy for an exalt to do so.

>> No.30021985
File: 225 KB, 443x479, DBs Be All Gay And Shit.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>30021891
The DB book says Scarlet prefers women, and that gay sex is preferable outside of official marriages since it avoids accidental bastard babies.

>> No.30022065
File: 69 KB, 436x235, Like Super Gay And Shit.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>30021985
Got them in the wrong order.

>> No.30022131

>>30021985
>Terrestrials can be gay but not camp

Why can't the real world be like this?

>> No.30022194

>>30022131
Because then we wouldn't have traps.

>> No.30022218

NEW THREAD

>>30022197

>>30022197

>>30022197

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action