Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

/vt/ is now archived.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 139 KB, 640x480, exalted third.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
28561098 No.28561098 [DELETED]  [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

Okay, just a little summary, for people like me.

The Exaltations were made by Autochton: RETCONNED.
There is a finite number of Celestial Exaltations (beyond Alchemicals): RETCONNED.
Solars were made to be the perfect kings of Creation: RETCONNED.
There is a straight gap in power between Celestial and Terrestrial Exaltation: RETCONNED.
The idea of an Exaltation of butterfly and sweets is beyond ridiculous: RETCONNED.
The Green Sun Princes are alien exaltations with utterly alien charms: RETCONNED.

Let me get this straight. They retconned every little tidbit of fun from Exalted, and you're eating this shit up like caviar.

You're utterly disappointing me, /tg/. You would think there would be at least one or two sane dissenters between the marketing parrots.

>> No.28561125

why don't you give us a source there chap

>> No.28561133

>>28561098
What the fuck are you smoking, boy? I'm needing a source on that because I'm calling bullshit.

>> No.28561187

That is the general impression that I got from their posts, I wouldn't be quite as harsh, but a flattened power curve so mortals remain a threat and terrestrials are an object of terror to solars was mentioned, and the ability of any god to make exalts, rather than Autobot designing them also was an intent. Infernals are completely being scrapped and redone, as are abyssals, that much is even on the kick starter.

Solars, however, were never made to be perfect rulers, they have always been mortals imbued with power to be weapons against the primordials.

>> No.28561199

Even if these retcon complaints are correct, they wouldn't wreck Exalted's concept or make it a bad game.

>> No.28561224

>>28561199
For some people, the flattened power curve is a core concept breaker.

>> No.28561267
File: 16 KB, 406x472, 3486567567.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>28561224
Seriously? How do they justify that view? How do they even function?

>> No.28561274

>>28561224
Except they're not flattening the power curve between exalted types. They're making essence 6+ charms less stupid.

Pretty much everything the OP said is wrong. The one exception is:

>> The idea of an Exaltation of butterfly and sweets is beyond ridiculous: RETCONNED.

That's just inaccurate. Exigents are one-of exalted of non-major gods. So yes, the god of butterfly and sweets COULD get their own exalted but at the cost of the god's live and I can't see a god with that kind of domain ever doing that.

>> No.28561276

>>28561098
>The Exaltations were made by Autochton: RETCONNED.
No. That hasn't changed.

>There is a finite number of Celestial Exaltations (beyond Alchemicals): RETCONNED.
No. That hasn't changed.

>Solars were made to be the perfect kings of Creation: RETCONNED.
No. They were never built to be perfect rulers, they were empowered by the Sun to fight the Primordials.

>There is a straight gap in power between Celestial and Terrestrial Exaltation: RETCONNED.
No. The gap still exists. It has, however, been reduced, so that Terrestrials can still be relevant to Celestials.

>The idea of an Exaltation of butterfly and sweets is beyond ridiculous: RETCONNED.
Yes. Previously, Exalted could only be empowered by the Celestial Incarnae; the new edition introduces Exigents, who are empowered by lesser gods at a great personal cost, and can have a wide variety of themes.

>The Green Sun Princes are alien exaltations with utterly alien charms: RETCONNED.
Yes. The new Infernals, instead of directly using Yozi charms, have their charms in ability-based trees which are thematically based on the Yozis. While these new charms have many of the same effects, they avoid several problems of the Yozi charm trees, such as being based on theme at the expense of practicality, and de-mystifying the Yozis.

>Let me get this straight. They retconned every little tidbit of fun from Exalted,
I wouldn't call any of those a "tidbit of fun".

>> No.28561286

>>28561267
By not being so offended by others' views as to be filled with horror at the thought of them.

>> No.28561332

>>28561274
When did they retrack the desire to close the power gap, especially between celestials and terrestrials?
That has been a stated intent from the start.
I personally have little issue with that, and applaud them throwing the essence 6+ material to the wayside.
My concern is a potentially too narrow power gulf between celestial exalts and mortals. Truly impossible to guage without the material in hand.

>> No.28561362

>>28561332
>>When did they retrack the desire to close the power gap, especially between celestials and terrestrials?

Never? Their goal wasn't to make them similar in power. It was to make a them be a threat to celestials outside of large groups.

>> No.28561394

>>28561286
I'm not horrified, I simply do not understand. Your reply does not help.

>> No.28561412

>>28561098
>Solars were made to be the perfect kings of Creation
You mean Primordial-killing superweapons that the UCS just decided to give Creation for some reason so he could spend the next 10,000 years playing XBox?

Solar Exalted are heroes, not statesmen.

>> No.28561422

>>28561332
Look everyone gets the same charms, just different tiers.

Let's say you have the charm "Monkey crushes nuts" it says roll and add x&y, that's the base charm. Terrestials can take the charm again for special effect, may reroll once. Solars get to do that a second time reroll and add +z, sidereal get to do it again for reroll add +z it applies 30yd radius.

Way they balance things is Terrestials get more charms but less powerful ones. Celestials get less charms but are much more specialized. Depending on your celestial exalt type, you get bonuses for certain charms.

>> No.28561453

>>28561362
Which is flattening the power curve. Not removing it entirely, but making it less steep. I am in complete agreement with leaving a combat oriented Dragonblood a plausible threat across like essence ratings. The sad joke of some people considering the Scions of the Realm extras needs to die in the nuclear flames of Ligier.
How this is accomplished, however will be the question. If it leaves the Solar feeling too vulnerable and weak to have struck down the Primordials, we will be at a point of internal inconsistency.

>> No.28561462

>>28561276
>No. The gap still exists. It has, however, been reduced, so that Terrestrials can still be relevant to Celestials.

Also so that the Usurpation can actually happen, instead of "battle hydra Solar instantly slays 5 million Dragonblooded in the first round of combat".

>> No.28561476

>>28561422
Good job pulling all of that out of your ass. None of that is true.

If you want correct info, go here: http://avatarcomic.net/ExaltedWiki/mediawiki-1.19.1/index.php?title=Exalted_3E:_What_We_Know

Theses are direct quotes from the devs and include citations.

>>28561462
Yup.

>> No.28561487

>>28561098
>The Exaltations were made by Autochton: RETCONNED.
The technology is still made by Autobot. The power is still provided by the actual empowering god. The fuck else do you want?

>There is a finite number of Celestial Exaltations (beyond Alchemicals): RETCONNED.
Not really. The amount of shards already made is still finite. Incarnae just can make more now but would be diminished further if they did.

>There is a straight gap in power between Celestial and Terrestrial Exaltation: RETCONNED.
Good riddance.

>The idea of an Exaltation of butterfly and sweets is beyond ridiculous: RETCONNED.
What?

>The Green Sun Princes are alien exaltations with utterly alien charms: RETCONNED.
Who even gives a fuck about GSPs?

>> No.28561505

>>28561422
Interesting concept.
Will the variable xp cost for charms remain?
Previously, terrestrials paid such obscene xp cost for charms that having a larger list seems to dilute them.
Also, how do the Celestial exalts have both a smaller and more specialized charm list, without being regulated to unitaskers?

>> No.28561538

>>28561487
>Not liking Infernals

>> No.28561555

>>28561487
>>Who even gives a fuck about GSPs?

I like them, they and the yozi they serve were just poorly done in EX2.

>> No.28561563

>>28561538
>Liking Infernals
Ewww

>> No.28561576

>>28561453
>How this is accomplished, however will be the question. If it leaves the Solar feeling too vulnerable and weak to have struck down the Primordials, we will be at a point of internal inconsistency.

the bigger point of internal inconsistency is how all the solars were brought down in the first place (at the height of their power) if they are virtually undefeatable

>> No.28561597

>>28561453
>If it leaves the Solar feeling too vulnerable and weak to have struck down the Primordials, we will be at a point of internal inconsistency.
"The Solar" beating Primordials is awful. Fighting a Primordial must be a war, not a brawl. It must be a team effort, not a duel.

>> No.28561651

>>28561412
Obviously you've never read the epic of gilgamesh.

>Be god-king
>Have power but not wisdom
>Spent time making subjects miserable. Sleep with everyone's lives. Literally.
>Make friends with another demigod, only person who has ever been your equal
>Wreck shit up together
>Friend dies
>Contemplate own mortality
>Go on quest to become immortal
>At the end of quest, have wisdom to know that man is better off without immortality
>Decide to spend what time you have alive building a great civilization and serving your citizens as a good king.

Statesmanship 101

>> No.28561672

>>28561597
Reminds me of the saying, "never fight a land war in asia."

Except this time, it's literally a land war.

>> No.28561674

>>28561597
That is how I've always felt. The defeat of each Primordial should have taken the cooperation of nearly all of the living Exalted over a period of time. How long did it take? That knowledge was lost when She Who Lives in Her Name broke one of her spheres.

>> No.28561696

>>28561453
>If it leaves the Solar feeling too vulnerable and weak to have struck down the Primordials, we will be at a point of internal inconsistency.
Fortunately, that problem is also solved. They're planning to re-mystify the Yozis, focusing more on their soul hierarchies than on them as individuals. This is part of the reason that Infernals don't share the Yozi charmsets anymore; it means they don't have to worry about balancing a Solar against a Primordial on a one-to-one basis.

>> No.28561758

>>28561696
Solars also shouldn't be able to take down a Primordial one-on-one. There's a reason it was a war and involved millions of Exalted.

>> No.28561761

I don't see why people are so interested n playing an exigent; it means that the cooler gods of creation are killing themselves to get a cool servant and for what?

>> No.28561767

>>28561597
Precisely. A battle against a Primordial shouldn't be like a boss fight in a video game. It should be like an entire video game.

>captcha: nsibulip Opera

>> No.28561886

>>28561767
But it wasn't just one person; it was an entire team across creation. So it was a Boss fight for single units.

>> No.28561959

Are there still ALchemicals, in E3?

And does anyone know if there is a chargen program for them, something like Anathema?

>> No.28561990

>>28561761
Partially.

The poster child for the exigents is Strawmaiden Janest. Her backstory is that she was from a small farming community on the outskirts of civilization. The town worshiped, in the proscribed manner, a local harvest god. One day, she was summoned to the main shrine for the local harvest god and told that barbarians/raiders/fey/whatever we're heading their way and were going to raze the town village and the surrounding farmland to the ground. If that happened, not only would the villagers die but so would the god since he's tied to the land as well. He couldn't protect the land himself but he DID have enough power to exalt Janest at the cost of his own life and so he sacrificed himself to do so.

There are other ways and situations exigents can come about, but that's the prime example.

>> No.28562064

>>28561098
>Implying changes in a new edition can be called a retcon
>implying you aren't a gigantic faggot pulling all this out of your ass

>> No.28562091

>>28561959
There almost certainly will be Alchemicals in 3E, considering Holden has a huge boner for Alchemicals and Autochthonia, but it'll be years and years before we get books on them.

>> No.28562096

>>28561990
Okay, so maybe not killed off if you are strong enough; but lessened in some manner.
It's not all that usefull when there are godblooded that could fill the same spot

>> No.28562123

>>28562096
I agree with this. My problem with all these new Exalts is it makes it seem like everyone who matters is necessarily going to be Exalted.

>> No.28562219

>>28562123
The Paragon better stay human

>> No.28562499

>>28562219

He'll Exalt when he doesn't need the sceptre to rule anymore.

>> No.28562541

Given I try to divorce the core game from the fluff as much as possible I don't mind.

>> No.28562701

>>28562096
I think it's a good extension to the concept of Exaltation. You've got the main groups who are chosen by the biggest gods, and it makes sense that you could have more unique, lesser Exalts for other gods.

>> No.28562952

What if twin brothers exalt together, but as Solar & Lunar, kicker their 1st Age incarnations were lovers?

>> No.28563011

>>28562952
The bond doesn't have to be "OMG, LETS FUCK." Leviathan's bondmate was the Solar commander of the Western oceans. He just happened to love the Solar's wife as well

>> No.28563593

>>28562952
Lots of awkward memories

>> No.28565014

>>28562952
Awkward memories IF (big if) they actually have their first age memories.

But then again, this is Exalted so they might become an orgy team too.

>> No.28565216

>>28561276
>>The Exaltations were made by Autochton: RETCONNED.
>No. That hasn't changed.

Yes, it has. The Liminal Exalted are said to be Exalted by the will of something that is not Autochton. Then the gods can Exalts people too, with the right artifact. Autochton had a hand in the first Exaltations, but now it's a free-for-all.

>>There is a finite number of Celestial Exaltations (beyond Alchemicals): RETCONNED.

Yes, it has. Exigents are Exalted, and there is an infinite number of them.

>>Solars were made to be the perfect kings of Creation: RETCONNED.
>No. They were never built to be perfect rulers, they were empowered by the Sun to fight the Primordials.

Semantics.

>>There is a straight gap in power between Celestial and Terrestrial Exaltation: RETCONNED.
>No. The gap still exists. It has, however, been reduced, so that Terrestrials can still be relevant to Celestials.

Yes. For exalted between Essence 2 and 5, the gap was awfully small to begin with. Now we have a smaller gap than a very small gap. You know what we call a smaller gap than small? No gap.

>I wouldn't call any of those a "tidbit of fun".

Fucking Ink Monkey. Go be a retarded marketer somewhere else, please. We don't want your fucking way to "fix" the game, involving REMOVING what made it fun to begin with.

Worse, you're a bunch of hypocrite unable to take one rightful critic.

>> No.28565341

>>28565216
>Yes, it has. The Liminal Exalted are said to be Exalted by the will of something that is not Autochton. Then the gods can Exalts people too, with the right artifact. Autochton had a hand in the first Exaltations, but now it's a free-for-all.
>Exaltation can be more than just one thing
THE HORROR!

>Yes, it has. Exigents are Exalted, and there is an infinite number of them.
The god in question still needs to get a base from Conky to do it at all, and the god who does it is diminished or destroyed, so it's not something that's going to happen all willy-nilly.

>Semantics.
You mean important distinction? The core Exalted are living weapons systems that were given authority to rule the prime plane of Creation.

>Yes. For exalted between Essence 2 and 5, the gap was awfully small to begin with. Now we have a smaller gap than a very small gap. You know what we call a smaller gap than small? No gap.
It's going to be a difference of one Solar winning against 2-3 DBs instead of 5 or 6. Quit being a little bitch.

>Fucking Ink Monkey. Go be a retarded marketer somewhere else, please. We don't want your fucking way to "fix" the game, involving REMOVING what made it fun to begin with.
The Ink Monkeys namefag when they post, you're just being a petulant douche.

And again, it's not a retcon. IT'S A NEW FUCKING EDITION.

>> No.28565346

>>28565216
>The Liminal Exalted are said to be Exalted by the will of something that is not Autochton.
And? Autochthon's "will" doesn't Exalt any of the Solars either.

>Then the gods can Exalts people too, with the right artifact.
[citation needed]. Unless you're trying to refer to the nipple-clamps that the UCS uses to jumpstart potential Exigent patrons? Which is neither an artifact nor something you "get your hands on."

There is POTENTIALLY an infinite number of them. In reality, there are fewer Exigents than there are Sidereals. Spoilers: The proportion of gods willing to sacrifice their immortal existence for some pissant mortal is not very high.

>Semantics.
Uh, no, the fact that they were war-weapons put into positions of leadership was kind of a huge deal with regards to things going wrong.

>For exalted between Essence 2 and 5, the gap was awfully small to begin with.
Essence 2 and 3? Yes. Essence 4 and 5? lolnope. The gap was monstrous and setting-warping.

>> No.28565678
File: 591 KB, 900x850, Consider.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>28561187
You already fucked up several of those, reading comprehension helps.

The thing about normal gods making Exaltations has a grain of truth, gods can make (largely singular) exaltations with GREAT effort, many gods would die int he process of making even one exigent (the name for these non-core exaltations)

Mortals (skilled ones) will be a possible threat to Exalts because the combat system is going to be less pants on head retarded rocket tag. Smart play and legitimate options for mortals in combat mean they -can- threaten an exalt. Meanwhile the gap between terrestrials and celestials is being shortened, meaning those guys with all that infrastructure and training are much scarier.

Infernals are being redone, I've not seen a DAMN thing about them not being alien and weird. Abyssals are being redone in a way so that they aren't 3/5ths SAD Solars. Actual unique charms, mirrors MIGHT have been scrapped. Charms are also being designed from the viewpoints of the Deathlords.

As for the rest of OP source please. I've been watching this shit like a fucking hawk so I think I'd have seen shit like the Solars no longer being UCS chosen leaders for creation.

>> No.28565752

>>28561761
The bigger gods will be able to survive making an Exigent. So in one variant you'll be playing an embodiment of a cool god's power, with said god's direct backing, what's not to like about it? In another you have a smaller god (who still may be pretty cool) burning himself out entirely to empower you, which is different story from the first, but also interesting.

>>28562219
No fucking way Paragon is going to get exalted. His shtick is being a human with an artefact, not an exalt.

The only old lore figure that I predict getting turned into an Exigent is Blood on the Horn - Ahlat's daughter that established Harborhead in the early Second Age. She is perfect for "exigent of a powerful god" story illustration.
Whether Ahlat still has that Exaltation hanging around or if it was a one-shot, will be probably up to ST.

>> No.28565842

>>28565216

exigents aren't celestial exalts

>> No.28566028

>>28565678
>As for the rest of OP source please. I've been watching this shit like a fucking hawk so I think I'd have seen shit like the Solars no longer being UCS chosen leaders for creation.
They are still appointed to rule creation but they never were MADE to rule creation - they were made to fight the war.
Confusing the two as if it's some change looks very much like deliberate ruse by the shitslinging OP.

>> No.28566123

>>28566028
That's what I thought. Carry on then good sir. If OP wanted to start shit they could have at least mentioned the Abyssal previews, but then most of /tg/ would probably just start fapping.

>> No.28566311

>>28561563
The only thing I hope makes the transition intact for the Infernals is something analogous to the Devil Tiger charm trees from Broken Wing Crane.

It's a major plot point in my current Exalted game.

>> No.28566511

>>28566311

Exigents, with their create-your-own-Charms toolkit are coming out before Infernals, so I imagine you'll be able to do some jerry-rigging in that regard.

>> No.28566543

>>28566311
What you mean by that?
Creating powers deriving from themes of several yozi? You should be able to do that pretty easily.
Becoming a new primordial? Probably no dice.

>> No.28566648

>>28566511
Well the current campaign is set in an alternate creation. A group of dynast dragonbloods stumbled into this strange land (a hollowed sphere with 8 moons, a never-ending tempest in the skies from whih a blu-green sun emerges during daylight hours, and 10 elemental poles) after hunting down a heretical cult in the threshold. Now they're trying to get home. They don't know yet that they're inside the soul-universe of the infernal character I retired years ago after he reforged himself into a self-made yozi, and quit regular creation because he saw how badly screwed it was.

>> No.28570507

I'm happy to see every single bullshit OP has said has been debunked with the power of a thousand suns.

I am on the other hand absolutely flabbergasted that people freaking out about how "dem Ink Monkeys ruined Exalted forever" before the Corebook for 3rd Edition gets realised are an actual thing and not an hyperbolistic myth.

I am seriously appaled at how insane, irrational and typical that is. What the shit.

>> No.28570534

>>28570507
>gets released*
Fixed that typo.

>> No.28570563

>>28570507
It's a combination of a couple groups:
1) People who liked/played 1st edition and didn't like the direction 2nd edition went.
2) People who got into exalted during 2nd edition, enjoy the setting, potentially enjoy the system, but have never actually played the game beyond a session or two (ie. not long enough to break anything).
3) People who simply like to troll and the best way to do that is by parroting the stupid responses of others.

>> No.28570631

>>28570563
Yeah. I guess I hoped the Exalted crowd was above all that.

Fuck me for being optimistic.

>> No.28570644

>>28570631
That's because it's still 4chan and geeks in general.

>> No.28570653

>>28561098
I'm with you, at least, OP!

>> No.28570676
File: 35 KB, 546x433, ex05c.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

They got all FATAL-ey a while. Are they still doing that?

>> No.28570727

>>28570676
There's probably going to be SOME of that in Ex3 but they've said they're toning down the blatant fetish fuel except in situations that demand it (adding it just to make people seem "evil" isn't enough).

The part they're nearly scrapping entirely is the whole bit with the phylactery womb.

>> No.28570732

>>28570676
None of the current Exalted writers participated in the Abyssals book.

>> No.28570740

>>28570676
Nah, stuff like that wasn't any of the later books that the current dev team wrote.

>> No.28570800
File: 61 KB, 400x498, ex07a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>28570740
>>28570732
So their writing staff no longer includes such luminaries as Blondie Slapalot, Gunnar Cream, and Jizzy Darkholer?

>> No.28570818

>>28570800
Because that specifically intended as a joke?

>> No.28570826

>>28561576

I believe the Usurpation was more than just one night, but that one night triggered the ensuing chaos and manhunt of the Solar Exalted. Also lets not forget being Solar Exalted doesn't mean you're allies with every other Solar Exalt. Realistically there are places with god-kings that want more, so they fight to get what the others have. Or they fight because of ideology, or they fight because they seek great battles and death. They aren't unified, but each is an incredibly passionate and powerful being.

>> No.28570856

>>28570800
You mean from the 2009 April Fool's Joke they made? Well, yeah, none of the current writers were writing for Exalted until 2010.

>> No.28570866

>>28570818
That doesn't really make it better. Unless it was, like, a third-party book made without permission.

>> No.28570895

>>28570866
A sixteen page pdf released for free for the express purpose of making fun of terrible fanart and awful homebrew offends you deeply?

>> No.28570931

>>28570895
You know what has terrible fetish fanart? Everything. Everything that there is. They don't have to prove that they make something just as bad.

>> No.28570958

>>28570931
Sounds like you hate fun.

>> No.28570980
File: 60 KB, 200x260, 80218.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>28570931
Poking fun at their fans and on April Fools is kind of a tradition. In this case, there was a ton of creepy sex home-brew created by Exalted fans. They released this the next year.

And they didn't "make something just as bad," they literally just copied the fanart with the original artists' permission.

>> No.28571004

>>28570676
that snippet doesn't come off as particularly FATAL-ey. it's no different from something you might read about slaanesh from 40k. FATAL-ey is when they start talking about anal circumference, but just mentioning sex? no, not even close.

>> No.28571005

>>28570980
*poking fun at their fans and *themselves* on April Fools.

>> No.28571019

>>28561098

>They retconned every little tidbit of fun from Exalted

I wouldn't call that one fun. I like closer. Personally, I'd most of all like it to not be a mechanical one but a fluff one (So Terrestials fluffwise have a much harder time hitting essence levels that celestials find easy. So they, as groups, still have the difference in power levels but outliers like Mnemon could stomp the average solar of lower essence than her)

>> No.28571025

>>28571004
Well for a lot of people, yeah, just mentioning sex is deeply offensive and/or "problematic." These people are also stupid, but that is besides the point.

>> No.28571055

>>28571019
Yeah. There should never be a situation where a Dragonblood is pretty much an extra compared to a Solar. OP seems to be mad that there is less Solar cock to suck, basically.

>> No.28571092

So I have some very serious questions: What's the degree of difficulty for crafting a solar exaltation? What's the interval for the craft roll? What's the number of cumulative successes needed to complete a single solar exaltation? What Craft variant are you using for the roll?

>> No.28571122

>>28571055
The problem with that Solar cock was it wasn't intentional by the fluff, yes they were supposed to be the big kids on the block but the way they were mechanically represented made them fucking retarded. At a certain point you could get your passive defenses so high that Dragonbloods couldn't even think of touching you.

>> No.28571124

>>28571092
The answer is "Craft: Be Autochthon" and "Craft: Be Unconquered Sun" and the difficulty, interval, and successes required are all "yes."

>> No.28571148

>>28571122
Then what's the issue of nerfing Solars and/or upgrading Dragonblooded in the new edition like they said they would? Solars are still on top and Dragonblooded are still on bottom, it just means that DBs are no longer flies to be swatted by a certain point.

>> No.28571151

>>28571122

Hence why I like a fluff-based power distinction. It allows individual Dragonblooded to be potent foes and allies to the Celestial Exalted while keeping most of them a bit lower.

It also helps prevent that stupid double dip weakness DB charms had. Where they would take a solar charm make it weaker and then make it more expensive.

>> No.28571179

>>28571148
>>28571151
Oh I worded that poorly, I am in favor of the lower gap between them, my previous post was directed towards the Solar cock the OP was sucking, I was trying to say the gap in 2E shouldn't have been as bad as it was but the mechanics were handled poorly.

>> No.28571204

>>28571179
Yeah, I see that now. Sorry about that.

>> No.28571497

>>28570856
Except Grabowski and Thomas, who were there since the beginning.

But even their role now is making sure that 3E holds to their original vision while fully realizing both the extra splats and how everything fits together so it isn't the retarded mess of 1E or the retcon-filled, freelancer damaged 2E.

>> No.28571577

>>28571179
"More powerful" was always fine. But "More Powerful" and "So impossibly more potent that the entire setting's backstory is outright impossible, as is giving them a challenge that isn't "dark" them" was pans on head retarded.

So yeah. IF, big IF, the gap ACTUALLY is smaller [like, something measurable with a tape measure instead of in light-minutes], it'll make the game a whole lot more playable.

>> No.28571594

>>28571497
I thought Grabowski wasn't there for 2E? I could be wrong, but either way, he wasn't involved with the April Fool's joke.

>> No.28571688

>>28571577
I think the big mechanical discrepancy between Solars and the rest happened because a lot of Charm writers weren't really aware of how much certain bonuses were actually worth. Through various cheese you can get your DV somewhere in the 20s. It is a statistical fucking miracle for ANYONE to hit that.

So then you can build a Solar who is in some cases mote-positive versus any number of Dragonbloods which is fucking dumb as shit.

>> No.28571719

>>28571594
He's listed as the dev for Core and Abyssals.

>> No.28571735

>>28571719
Wait, no, just core, misread it.

>> No.28571762

>>28571735
Yeah, he left pretty early on, and was pretty much only involved with 1E more or less. But I'm glad they brought him back: a lot of Exalted was his idea in the first place.

>> No.28572003

>>28561098
Autochthon created Exaltation, he then made the knowledge public domain. So Unconquered Sun, Luna, Five Maidens, and Elemental Dragons all very powerful beings gave tiny portion of their vast power to personalize it.

Exigents are Exalted that aren't part the main group. When it became public knowledge, minor deities wanted Exalted as well. However they don't have the vast power to give away so they can't make many, and they gimp themselves permanently to make Exalted.

These Exigents are smaller batches, probably no more than a dozen if that per god. This is way smaller than the 100 from Five Maidens, who kept their numbers small, or the 300 Solar & Lunar exalts.

>> No.28572093

>>28572003
Not only that, but Exigents themselves aren't particularly common. If I remember right, their numbers were placed at "roughly a thousand." Which, on a planet with more overall landmass than Earth, means that they're still pretty damn rare.

>> No.28572117

>>28572093
>Which, on a planet with more overall landmass than Earth,
But only 500 million people.

>> No.28572122

>>28572093
That's because most the gods are too weak to even begin to try to make exalted. Which makes me wonder, why didn't Gaia ever do her own exaltation?

>> No.28572186

>>28572093
And still puts them at less than a tenth of the Dragonblooded host, none of them with matching powers or any reason to work with each other, and even then there's maybe 300 more than the Celestials?

Not really something to make a huge deal over beyond the fact that they're wild cards, but then again so are the Liminals.

>> No.28572322

>>28572186
Yeah, not to mention the fact that they're such a mixed bag that they can range from as weak as Dragonblooded to nearly as powerful as Solars in some rare cases.

>> No.28572718 [DELETED] 

>>28561597
lol I love these fat Warrior Nerds acting like they know shit

>> No.28572834

>>28572718
But anon, Primordials aren't a single person: they're all composed of hundreds of demons, with thousands of lesser demons as servants.

I mean it's almost as though you're fucking stupid!

>> No.28572870

>>28572834
Yes, yes I see now my tubby friend.

You Must be a faggot, not a Bro, You must suck cocks, not eat pussy.

I understand your warrior ways now oh great pig lord.

>> No.28572900

>>28570980
god dudes of legend is awesome.

>> No.28572936

>>28572834
Not demons, daevas, sub-souls.

A Primordial has their World-body, Jouten form, and Fetich soul as their core "self." Their Third-circle daevas are fairly rare but also define identity and domain. Second-circles are significantly more common, but still have their own identity and theme. First circles are little but automatons, but they number as armies.

A Primordial becomes a Yozi via killing of certain thirds and being bound by a set of oaths. Only then do the sub-souls get called "demons," and even then it's not a descriptive term but a pejorative.

>> No.28572939

>>28572870
How do your fat fingers reach all the way to the keyboard? Do you use a special typing wand or something?

>> No.28572973

>>28572936
Yeah, I just used demon as a shorthand. Really, the only difference between a Yozi and Primordial or a Demon and a Daeva is a political one, anyways.

>> No.28572985

What dragon-blooded exalts canonically have breeding 5 or legendary breeding? I'm thinking V'neef, Mnemon, and Ragara Myrrun. Anyone else?

>> No.28572993

>>28572939
You tell me fat tits?

How do your grubby cheeto stained paws reach your mico-penis?

>> No.28573055

>>28572985
I like how a thread trying to start an edition war morphed into another Exalted General. I mean that sincerely, fuck OP.

I remember that Cynis Mond, the Windtamer, had extremely high breeding. To the point where he's practically at one with his element.

>> No.28573067

>>28572993
Shit, you even type like a child-molestor.

>> No.28573069

>>28572993
>>28572939
we wont blame you two if you just kiss.

>> No.28573072

>>28572985
>>28573055
You know, you guys could go to the old Exalted General over there >>28511357
instead of bumping this shit thread.

>> No.28573076

>>28572718
>>28572870
>>28572939
>>28572993
Holy shit, just fuck already and get it over with, girls.

>> No.28573100

>>28573076
I fuck asians nigga, they got fucked up teeth, plus this nigga is ugly as fuck I'm sure. Fat piece of shit.

>> No.28573115

>>28573069
>>28573076

I just want to do my part in making this terrible thread even shittier.

>> No.28573129

>>28573067
You need to get back on your Rascal and motor your blubbery ass back to walmart piggy, I'm sure you could squeeze some more money out of your EBT card to get some more fried chicken and chips to shove down your fat gullet.

>> No.28573273

so how about we go back to the main topic of OP being terrible instead of this weird mating dance between walruses

or is it walrai?

>> No.28575935
File: 200 KB, 1440x977, n2TZb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>28573273
This reminds me of the good ol' days.

>> No.28575958
File: 2.97 MB, 196x93, Asura can block anything.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>28561098
...RaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

>> No.28580006

>>28561098
If that's all accurate, that just confirms the misgivings I had about this new edition. I mean, that's pretty much destroying the setting I loved and re-building it from the ground up.

>> No.28580082

>>28580006
IT'S NOT. READ THE GOD DAMN FUCKING THREAD.

>> No.28580598

>>28580006
We've pretty much torn apart all the eroneous assertions OP made in his post. Please try to pay attention.

>> No.28580715
File: 6 KB, 168x200, Domon Kashu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>28580598
AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaoh thank goodness!

Can I still play a character based on Domon Kashew with a giant warstrider that shoots from from its hands?

>> No.28580774
File: 198 KB, 546x500, Twilight Rider.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>28580715

You mean Twilight Rider? I'm fairly sure we've discussed it here already.

>> No.28580780
File: 227 KB, 1600x973, thor-movie-image-ch-hr.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

So, I was wondering recently: do you think the Thor movies are a good example to give people of the power level in Exalted?

As for the new edition, all I worry about is stories needing to be altered, but from what I've read so far most of the new stuff and "changes" are optional? There's no new thing where exigents are suddenly vital factors anywhere or something. Not a great fan of those guys, but that's only because I liked the feeling of recurring themes and prime spiritual/elemental forces that Exalted's always had, which they seem to blur out a bit.

>> No.28580823

>>28580780
Pretty sure Thor is Modern Solars.

Asura's Wrath is First Age Solars.

>> No.28580995

>>28580780
>So, I was wondering recently: do you think the Thor movies are a good example to give people of the power level in Exalted?
Nope, 2e Solars are way above that.

>> No.28581007

>>28580780
The Exigents are unlikely to become vital to the setting so no one will force you to use them. However I hope you give them fair shot, because I see them becoming really cool.

Exigents are kinda the champions for the "small guys". They released a little story bout someone becoming the exigent of a smaller harvest god and it was really cool. And the thing is it doesn't need to take away from your primal forces at all. There will never be an Exigent Army, not really, they have nothing in common beyond being "not one of the originals". The Solars may become the deliberative again, the Dragonblooded Host is known well and far, the Sidereals run Heaven together and band into factions, even the Lunars have loose associations with each other. Each Exigent is a lone champion for a single god that could never dare to compare to the champions of the Incarnae.

>> No.28581099

>>28580715
>Kashew
Kasshu

>> No.28581112

>>28580995
Yet in 3e that's pretty much the level they want for Essence 5. At Essence 5 you're forging your own empire, challenging the most powerful warriors, reshaping the political landscape to your will.

>>28575958
>>28580823
Why is Asura's Wrath so awesome?

>> No.28581126

>>28581112
Because it's basically "GREEN SUN PRINCE: The Game, The Movie"

>> No.28581142

>>28580715
In 3e, warstriders are promised to finally not suck.
So, yes, you totally should.

>> No.28581184

>>28581142

What about Sorcery and Crafting?

>> No.28581294

>>28580780
Removing Exigents or any other Exalted should completely fuck the setting over, just like removing Sidereals from second edition completely fucks the setting over. But you can very easily play a game of Exalted where Sidereals never show up, so it doesn't really matter.

>>28581184
Sorcery no longer costs motes, so that's one reason why you would want to use spells instead of charms.

Crafting depends on what you want to do with it, I guess. I imagine it'll be most useful if you want a lot of Artifacts with custom powers.

>> No.28581327

>>28581294

Is crafting still an XP sink?

>> No.28581397

>>28581327
Most recent word on Crafting is that it was still being debated, but that it definitely wasn't going to be as bloated as previous editions. That was a couple of months ago though.

If it's still subdivided, it'll probably have one Craft skill and a couple of Merits that'll let you do more with it.

>> No.28581466

>>28581397

I'd like to have at least the five mundane crafts tied together, while the more esoteric ones (such as distilling Vitriol or making Orichalcum) be handled by the new merit system.

Also, I've noticed that all of the most prominent Twilights have been Sorcerers with the exception of Kal Bax. Does anyone have any stories of non-sorcerer Twilights?

>> No.28582335

>>28581294

Hopefully offensive spells like Wrath of the Elements won't suck horribly in 3e. Because I loved the hell out of that spell but well...offensive spells suck HORRIBLY in 3e.

>> No.28583566

>>28581466
One of the first game of Exalted I STed saw an Exalted newfag building an Indiana Jones Twilight, with high Lore and Occult, Favoured Larceny, Athletics and Martial Arts, Solar Hero Style charms, and a taste for exploring dangerous ruins and exploding traps with his fists.

>> No.28583689

>>28582335
Thunder Wolf Howl is pretty good.

>> No.28583825

>>28583689

Isn't Death of Obsidian Butterflies good for getting rid of lots of mortals quickly? What other combat charms are good?

Also, say the party sorcerer casts Unity of the Closed Fist on every member of the party. Does everyone get a say in how this entity acts or does the caster do everything? How can it be handled without putting the spotlight on one player?

>> No.28583828

They never were. Straight up, you are a lying shithead. It was ALWAYS the case that the solar's rulership abilities were a happy accident.

GSPs have always been irrelevant, powered-down akumas. Which is BEYOND MORONIC, since you're using up solar-tier exaltations to make a weak ass akuma clone that's just going to betray you. They had no reason to exist.

>> No.28583853

>>28583825
Use Unity of the Closed Fist on a bunch of NPCs and PCs who aren't present.

>> No.28583905

>>28581294
You can pretty much remove sidereals with no harm done. It would make the Usurpation mildly more interesting to have it be the dragon blooded own's decision.

The sidereal niche (SMA) only had one functional charm set (Blue Slut charms). Astrology was like doing taxes.

SMA has never been functional. FUcking amazing. When its no longer broken beyond belief, then MAYBE sids will be an important part of the game.

>> No.28584007

>>28580995
Matter of opinion. Starting solars will have to fucking struggle, unless they sink every last starting charm into a carefully planned hierarchy of battle charms.

People tend to confuse "maxed out 500 xp solars" with "starting solars," the latter of which is very much standard fantasy hero level.

>> No.28584056

>>28583905
Wow, isn't that a huge hyperbole.

Don't get me wrong, I agree SMAs are borked beyond belief, and Astrology is indeed a pain in the arse to manage. But mechanical niches are not the only thing that matter. Sids have been very hard at work for a very long time, and they are one of the biggest reason why Creation is what it is right now. Hell, without Sidereal intervention, the Empire might have existed in some form, but the Immaculate Order wouldn't have Celestial Martial Arts, the Heptagram would be shit, Wyld Hunts wouldn't be able to intervene in these dire but hardly noticeable situations... And that's just the tip of the Iceberg.

>> No.28584163

>>28584056
Yes, sids have worked very hard. Unfortunately, they've been working very hard to cancel out a problem that only exists within the context of their own splatbook (fate-based randumbness) and the setting loses literally nothing for their exclusion. They are air-breathing mermaid: The Splat.

You could, seamlessly, flawlessly, replace all instances of "sids did it" with "dragon blooded did it". The only thing sids do in the setting is "secretly, dragon blooded have to have their hand held by sidereals at every turn." Sids can't do jack without it being thunder stolen from DBs.

>> No.28584295

>>28584163
Incidentally, one might ask: if the DB's achievements were their own and not the Bronze Faction's, then wouldn't the setting miss out on the fact that DBs are incompetent servant-tier exalts pretending to be master? Not at all.

You'd still have the DBs being woefully incapable of managing the Grand Contagion, the Baloran Crusade, the Reclamation, the Deathlord-Rapening, the Autobot-Fuckening, the Silver Pact eating babies left and right and destroying civilization in fits of noble savagery, and the Solars returning.

>> No.28586069

>>28581112
>Yet in 3e that's pretty much the level they want for Essence 5. At Essence 5 you're forging your own empire, challenging the most powerful warriors, reshaping the political landscape to your will.
So how is that different than 2ed?

>> No.28586131

>>28583853
you cant use unity of the closed fist on anyone who's not there.

>> No.28586181

>>28586131
Their player characters can be assumed to be present, and not doing jack cuz they're in a fist.

>>28586069
A solar with essence 7 stuff is a lot closer to what you describe. Even then, I wouldn't get overconfident.

>> No.28586274

>>28586181
>A solar with essence 7 stuff is a lot closer to what you describe. Even then, I wouldn't get overconfident.
have you read the solar social charms? they can be used quite devastatingly to shape the political land scape to ones whim.
the only Ess7 charms Ive seen do shit like bend shinma to your will

>> No.28586312

>>28586069

Can't find the source, but apparently this power will only be available to Solars who've been around for "centuries". So while Solars start weaker they take longer to rise above the rest.

>> No.28586333

>>28586274
Oh yeah, that's ess 2-3 solars though.

Ess 2-3 is when you reshape societies, ess 3-4 is when you wyld cauldron, ess 5 is... maybe... when you do fancy sorcery... but really, you become a pretty fancy warrior, if you sink a massive amount of XP into it... but a solar has better things to do than doing the job of a melee/MA dragon blooded. And its not like you can take out deathlords at E3, E5 or E7, so who gives a fuck?

The idea that essence rating ratings directly compare to the scale of the action is a novel concept in Ex3, because solars, as you say, start off reshaping whole civilizations, and don't go upwards from there.

>> No.28586362

Does Increasing Strength Exercise stack with Unbreakable Bones of Stone?

>> No.28586413

>>28586312
>Can't find the source, but apparently this power will only be available to Solars who've been around for "centuries". So while Solars start weaker they take longer to rise above the rest.
wait, so Essence is no longer the measure of power or the limitation? Time is?

>> No.28586451

>>28586362
yea. nearly every bonus stacks to the point that its not an issue and things are assumed to do so unless specifically stated otherwise. that's how we get such huge dice pools

>> No.28586478

>>28586451
It's tempting to take both so I can roll with 15 strength and 10 stamina.

>> No.28586485

>>28586413
Chances are you will only be able to go up in Essence after you have been exalted for X amount of time

>> No.28586494

>>28586413

>Q: In the previous edition, it was possible for a PC reach above essence 5. My question is: Is this going to be possible in EX3? (Thiagolrj)
>A: Sure. Much as in nWoD, though, we don't plan to offer much support for doing so-- not for a long time, anyway. (Holden)

Doesn't look like it.

>> No.28586495

>>28586312
>>28586069
>>28581112
>>28580995
The more I hear about this the more worried I become.

>> No.28586521

>>28586478
Play a Lunar; make them both ab even 20.>>28586485

>> No.28586545

>>28586485
That's been true for a while. but the 100 year hard cap on Ess6 was the biggest one

>> No.28587939

How do you know how much you can lift for feats of strength past 20?

>> No.28587991

>>28587939
extrapolate the table

>> No.28589741

Question: Storm Mothers get all pissy and try to sink ships that carry women, right? How close do they have to actually be to the ship in order to do this?

>> No.28591953

/tg/, explain like I'm 5, how does building a manse work?

I've got a player who wants to say that after he exalted he turned his workshop in to a manse, despite it being in the center of town and his ideas being not-at-all subtle.(A big bunker that raises out of the ground when he wants it to, as well as being a workshop manse.)

He doesn't seem to get that receding in to the ground doesn't make it any less likely to have been noticed while he was building it.

>> No.28592031

>>28591953
That's not a manse. First you have to use geomancy to locate and cap a demense, an intersection of leylines. A manse is a structure built on top of that demense that utilizes its power.

So while he certainly has interesting plans for his property, it's not a Manse he's building.

>> No.28592196

>>28592031
Theoretically, he could do it if he redirected the surrounding dragon lines to generate a demense beneath his house. That sort of thing isn't beyond the Exalted's reach.

>> No.28592328

>>28592196
Doing it in a pre-existing city could potentially cause a lot of damage and chaos, especially if it is done poorly.

>> No.28594362

>>28586495
Most of the stuff you quotelinked is massive misinterpretations.

>> No.28594371

>>28592328
you say that like its a bad thing.

>> No.28594385

>>28561332
>Too narrow
Whats too narrow to you? Right now Mortals are ants no matter what training or equipment they have.

>> No.28594593

>>28565216
>>The Exaltations were made by Autochton: RETCONNED.

>Yes, it has. The Liminal Exalted are said to be Exalted by the will of something that is not Autochton. Then the gods can Exalts people too, with the right artifact. Autochton had a hand in the first Exaltations, but now it's a free-for-all.

Except OP was being a fallacious ass. He meant Autobot made ALL Exaltations, which was never true (Abyssals, Infernals). So what is it exactly? It's not a radical idea either way.

>>28571497
>retarded mess of 1E or the retcon-filled, freelancer damaged 2E.
Can you explain? I'm new to Exalted.

>> No.28594603

>>28594385
>ants no matter what training or equipment they have
Oh, and numbers. as of 2E, I mean.

>> No.28594821

>>28594593
1e and 2e both had massive problems with editorial control and lack thereof. Books have been written by hired on freelancers, who were turning their stuff right at the deadline and if they done shit wrong, there wasn't time to change it.
For example, for 1e Fae they were explicitly told not to do eurofae. Guess what, that's exactly what they did. Grabowsi and Borgstrom had to do an emergency edit to throw in hinduism references for just some flavour to them.
An example from 2e is references to creation as Gaia's jouten and demesnes as her subsouls being snuck in sidebars like thousand forged dragon's.

>> No.28594829

>>28594593
Abyssals & Infernals are corruption of Solars.

>> No.28596004

>>28565216
>Yes, it has. The Liminal Exalted are said to be Exalted by the will of something that is not Autochton.
Exalts were never exalted by the will of the Autobot. Autochthon invented the means by which Exalts were created, created the template for the gods, who then used it to create their own Exalts.

This hasn't changed. Exigents are just a natural extension of that. If the Yozi's can reshape exaltations into their own type of exalt, why can't other gods?

Prove it or you're a niggerfaggot. There is no infinite number of exigents. There IS an infinite number of terrestrials, however. And it might be possible for a new exigent line to be designed with that in mind (or for a god to reshape terrestrial exaltations).

>Semantics.
Bullshit you cunt. They were divine war machines, which were left with the task of ruling the world. It's pretty much the very reason they fucking failed to keep their system going.

>Now we have a smaller gap than a very small gap. You know what we call a smaller gap than small? No gap.
It's better than the prior system, where the entire usurpation made no fucking sense whatsoever, considering that a high-specced Solar exalt was all but indestructible to dragonblooded (or even sidereal) attackers.

At least now the plot makes sense.

>> No.28596094

>>28596004
>Prove it or you're a niggerfaggot
He is a niggerfaggot. The number of Exigents doesn't have a set limit, but they're still far and few between.

>> No.28596236

There is an infinite number of Exigents, they are all Exalted by the Ink Monkey self insert Gods, and they're all allied with Creation's Mortals. EVERY OTHER EXALT IS RENDERED USELESS. Cats sleep with dogs, rivers flow backwards, and OP's mom isn't a whore. EXALTED IS RUINED FOREVER!

Yep, that picture of 3rd Ed OP wants to fool us with really is appaling. Good thing it's so ridiculously wrong it became the Shinma of Being Right.

>> No.28599261

bump

>> No.28601923

>>28596094
Ultimately what it comes down to is shit getting so bad the god is willing to significantly weaken themselves or even cease existing in order to empower a chosen, which isn't something taken lightly.

Though there are also gods who are willing to petition a bit of the fire needed just to sell it to gods who Conky wouldn't give one to, as well.

>> No.28602199

>>28561098
I'm with OP, faggoty game currently in play is not Exalted, I can't even look at Solars anymore. I will treasure my 1st Ed books and avoid this shitparty.

>> No.28602745

>>28602199
Go away OP, we don't want you here anymore!

>> No.28602788

>>28602199
>I'm with OP, faggoty game currently in play is not DND, I can't even look at Fighters anymore. I will treasure my 1st Ed books and avoid this shitparty.
editionwars.jpg

>> No.28603035

>>28602199
>1E: System universally considered junk, splats are collectively garbage, but a glimmer of possible greatness
>2E: Pretty much universally beloved setting, though lots of stuff that was just plain off or pointless or stupid. System still crap.
>3E: Promising a consistently built setting improving on 2E's from the start with all the splats planned and accounted for without freelancers mucking things up, and a system that will be fun to play.

Edition warring Exalted is fucking stupid. At least with oWoD/nWoD and D&D there were things in the old system that were worth arguing about.

>> No.28603139

>>28603035
Which is why I can't take people like OP seriously: either they're trolling, or really are retarded.

>> No.28603187

>>28603035
>splats are collectively garbage

Except for a few books at the start, anyway.

>> No.28603201

>>28603035
>with all the splats planned and accounted for without freelancers mucking things up

Problem with that is that the freelancers who mucked things up last time ARE THE GUYS WORKING ON 3E. Low confidence is entirely reasonable right now.

>> No.28603224

>>28603201
No, they fucking aren't.

>> No.28603230

>>28603035
We have to remember that the optimism about 3e is mainly pertinent to the fact that they're carefully hiding the combat system.

>> No.28603306

>>28603230
Mainly so people actually buy the damn books instead of rejiggering 2E with it.

And not doing a public beta is fine too, look at the mess of D&D 5E.

>> No.28603424

>>28603306
Or the mess that was the Pathfinder public beta.

Or the mess that is the *current* Pathfinder public beta, where the people who participate in it steadfastly refuse to give useful feedback

>> No.28603428

>>28603201
>the freelancers who mucked things up last time ARE THE GUYS WORKING ON 3E
What? No they aren't. The freelancers we're talking about are actual freelancers, not the Ink Monkeys. These guys had a blog with suggested mechanical improvements and examinations of the setting whose stuff was eventually made canon by White Wolf and were later inducted onto the dev team.

Did you think those were the same group?

>> No.28606108

>>28603428
>>28603201

He's one of those idiots who blames Jon Chung for inventing Paranoia Combat. Of course he thinks that 2e was fine until the Ink Monkeys came along.

I am so looking forward to Momentum and abstract stealth/movement, as well as social Charms that carry on in the footsteps of the Solar Socialize shit we saw.

>> No.28606724

You're either In Stealth, or you're not. Kill the dude with Awareness Charms first.
You're either Close, Nearby, or Away.
Mortals will be able to earn Exaltation.
The 300 Solars thing and the "The Blessed Isle has the population of Arizona" thing are probably going away.
Sorcery is about doing actions to build up motes. Exalted Sorcerers can just spend motes on a "I AM AN EXALTED SORCERER" Charm rather than cutting hearts out and devouring them or meditating while thousands of people chant.
Dragon-Blooded can bend now.
Breeding doesn't fuck with Essence calc anymore.
The Realm and Lookshy's eugenics programs have actually borne fruit. Behold Dynastic Charms!
The two forms of tainted Dragon-Blooded were mentioned in the DB preview.
Mortals can buy Breeding as a Background.
Merits/Flaws are gone.

Plague of Hats left the writing team due to fatigue/secrecy, is no longer sure that he was on the same page as John and Holden with regards to preventing cheesecake.
NO APOLOGY HAS BEEN MADE.

>> No.28606855

>>28606724
>The 300 Solars thing and the "The Blessed Isle has the population of Arizona" thing are probably going away.

What? The rest of what you said sounds right, but I'm definitely going to need a source on the changes in the number of Solars.

>> No.28606899

>>28606724
>>28606855

Also:

>The two forms of tainted Dragon-Blooded were mentioned in the DB preview.

I read the preview, that was NOT in there.

>Merits/Flaws are gone.

I haven't heard of that, either. It sounds like you're mixed up on details here, and I'm really going to need a source before I take you at face value.

>> No.28607024

>>28606899
The Merit/Flaw system is confirmed as out, and so is the Backgrounds set, replaced with nWoD style Merits.

>> No.28607058

>>28607024
Oh, that at least makes sense then. Yeah, I knew that they were using Merits instead of backgrounds, hence my going 'say what?' when anon said Flaws were gone.

I haven't ready anything about tainted dragonblooded or the 300 Solars going away, though.

>> No.28607106

>>28606724

I don't think Plague of Hats was ever on the team, he was just a very prolific homebrew that caught a case of the Social Justice and ran off to Something Awful to badtalk his own community.

>> No.28607114

>>28606724

>Mortals will be able to earn Exaltation

I don't understand, is this a bad thing? I honestly don't have a problem with Mortals actually getting to do things in Exalted.

>> No.28607139

>>28607106

He was on the time for a long while, and the White Wolf community has always been shit. I say this as someone who goes ga-ga for all things White Wolf.

>> No.28607153

>>28607114

Mortals have always been able to earn it, that was kind of the definition of Exalting. The closest any mortal gets to "not earning" the Exaltation is Dragonbloods, and even they have to DO something, the bar is just lower the better their breeding is.

>> No.28607182

>>28607139

It has been, I won't deny that, but he had his dick in the shit way too long to pretend that he's legitimately butthurt over it all.

You can go to Arizona and call them all racists, but when you do that AFTER you've run a Swaztika tattoo shop for 5 years it rings a little hollow.

>> No.28607196

>>28607106
Yeah, pretty much the only devs are Morke and Holden, with all the rest of the people working on core being Freelancers that they had a good relationship with.

Also pretty weirded out that Plague of Hats apparently decided to quit his current job to talk about social justice on a forum that was willing to hire a convicted child molester to be a moderator.

>> No.28607203

>>28561098
Its not retconning, it's a reboot. I'm not sure if these changes will be better, but to whine just because things aren't the same as before is dumb as hell.

>> No.28607233

>>28606855
>>28606899

I remember Holden saying "If you want to play a one eyed badass you shouldn't get points for that. That should be something you do because it's awesome.".

I also remember one of the dev meets talking about how God-Blooded, Yozi-Tainted DBs, and Dragons of a Different Color being sorely neglected by the past editions. Still pretty sure that V'Neef line was mentioned in the context of Dynastic Charms, but if it wasn't then it's my bad.

>> No.28607250

>>28607182
He fucking loved Infernals and wrote a bunch of homebrew for them. I mean, if the first two chapters of Infernals wasn't enough to turn him against the game then I can't help but call bullshit on his stated reasons.

>> No.28607266

>>28607233
>I remember Holden saying "If you want to play a one eyed badass you shouldn't get points for that. That should be something you do because it's awesome.".

Which is a legitimate stance, so long as it's backed by the corollary "If a player wants to play a one-eyed badass, he won't eat even a single -1 for that, because one should never force a player to choose between what's awesome and what's good for his character."

>> No.28607308

>>28607233
You're right about V'neef and the custom charms: every Great House has its own unique charms that are techniques passed on by the family. V'neef gets stuff related to using Firewands.

More content for Dragons of a Different Color sounds pretty sweet. I played a Dragonblooded detective who had that: I wasn't planning to go into necromancy, I just wanted to give him an anima that made everything around him monochrome.

>> No.28607322

>>28603224
Yes, they fucking are. Get out of your denial.

>> No.28607338

>>28607266
I think it's safe to make that assumption. If not, I will be making that assumption anyways. People should be able to play a blind swordsman with zero penalties.

>> No.28607348

>>28603428
Who the fuck do you think the Ink Monkeys were, shitbird? THEY WERE FUCKING FREELANCERS.

>> No.28607370

>>28607348
They weren't the freelancers in question. We're talking about specific individuals here, not a faction of literary saboteurs.

>> No.28607371

>>28607322
No, they really aren't. Ink Monkies didn't start working on the game until 2010. The only splat they worked on was Alchemicals.

>> No.28607425

>>28607182
>>28607250

People change, dude. I assume that's what happened with him (I try to keep out of White Wolf related drama because, again, White Wolf Community a shit). As for Infernals, I always assumed the worst part was in those first two chapters, and that was written by one person who was not that guy.

>> No.28607431

>>28607370
And the Ink Monkey blog was full of shit that was horrendously mucked up, so the point still stands.

>>28607371
They were still freelancers who produced some seriously subpar shit. And now the entire game is in their hands.

>> No.28607465

>>28607431
They also produced some of the best actual books in the gameline. Plus, Errata for most of the entire game, for free. At least they made the game (more) playable.

>>28607425
I'm only one of the guys who posted: either way I'm not too torn up about it. If nothing else, he did say he was confident the game would be good, even after leaving.

>> No.28607491

>>28607106
>>28607139
>>28607196

The real thing that burned Spaulding out on Exalted was keeping it close to his chest.

>> No.28607499

>>28607431
See, I actually liked the stuff they produced, and when we're talking about 'shitty freelancers,' we're talking about the dudes who made the Fair Folk into European fairies instead of being styled after Indian devas, or the guy who tried to make Creation into Gaia's Jotoun. The Ink Monkeys gave us a free errata that made the game playable and fleshed out a lot of things in a really balanced way on their blog.

Who would you have on the project instead?

>> No.28607505

>>28607465
>They also produced some of the best actual books in the gameline

No, they didn't.

>Plus, Errata for most of the entire game, for free

You mean the errata consisting mainly of tweaks my group and most other people I'd known who were into Exalted had been using since fucking 2009?

>At least they made the game (more) playable.

True, but as above.

>> No.28607518

>>28607491
I heard differently. I know how this sounds, but I do know someone who is writing at Onyx Path (I know, I know) and that Spaulding apparently did something to burn his bridges. Like when he shit-talked Michael Goodwin on Something Awful.

>> No.28607524

>>28607499
>Who would you have on the project instead?

Jenna Moran, Neph, heavier involvement by Grabowski.

>> No.28607539

>>28607250
>>28607425

Infernals Chapter 1/2 guy doesn't have a job in the industry anymore.

>> No.28607547

>>28607499
>the guy who tried to make Creation into Gaia's Jotoun

Wasn't that Morke?

>> No.28607555

>>28570563
>People who liked/played 1st edition and didn't like the direction 2nd edition went.
That actually seems to be the group most excited for 3e.

>> No.28607571

>>28607505
>No, they didn't.

Yeah they did. If not, feel free to tell me your problems with, say, Shards of the Exalted Dream, or Masters of Jade, or the Alchemicals book.

>You mean the errata consisting mainly of tweaks my group and most other people I'd known who were into Exalted had been using since fucking 2009?

No, more like the rewrite of the entire Sidereal charmset, simplified astrology, fixing the awful charms of DotFA, so on and so forth.

>> No.28607578

>>28607505
Man, you're just so damned and determined to hate them for no goddamn reason. I get it, you're an edgy dude who wants everyone to know that you hate the thing they're optimistic about. The game line would be dead in the water, stuck at 2e, if these guys hadn't stepped up, and there's a good chance that it will be the most playable edition released.

If you don't like the direction they're taking it, nobody will fault you for sticking with 2e any more than people fault people for sticking with 1e. No need to piss in everyone's cornflakes over it, though.

>> No.28607634
File: 251 KB, 512x255, neon panther.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>28607524
You do know that they're the EXACT same people who wrote the 2E core, and gave us EVERYTHING wrong with the system for 2E? Hahaha, no. No, no, hell no. Fuck off.

>>28607547
It was not, actually.

>> No.28607696

>>28607571
Incidentally, the revised Resonance rules in Shards were fairly sexy.

>> No.28607762

>>28607571
>Shards of the Exalted Dream

A bunch of fairly sterile, boring setting ideas and the Street Fighter RPG with the serial numbers scraped off. Yawn.

>or Masters of Jade

Guildwank: The Book. With a system for organizations that will never ever be fully supported! Fucking yawn.

>or the Alchemicals book.

This one's not on them, admittedly, I just never really gave a shit about Alchemicals ever.

>> No.28607797

>>28607696

If those Chase rules were plugged into a working game they would be fucking amazing.

>> No.28607799

>>28607634
You are so fucking wrong it's pathetic. Moran's mechanics are second to fucking none. Neph actually knows how to make shit interesting. Grabowski is FUCKING GRABOWSKI, without whom there WOULD NOT BE EXALTED.

>> No.28607873

>>28607762
Doesn't really sound like 'seriously subpar shit' to me so much as 'tl;dr'

Admittedly, I don't really care? I believe that 3E will be a serious improvement mechanically, so they can do what they please with the fluff. My 2E books aren't going anywhere.

>> No.28607931
File: 112 KB, 553x720, panther6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>28607799
That does FUCK ALL to change the fact that they WROTE THE 2E CORE. Check the author list for 2E. Moran and Goodwin wrote most of the mechanics for the fucking core book!

>> No.28608018

>>28607799
>>28607931
If you two lovebirds would stop fucking for a moment, I'm sure it's written somewhere who made what mechanics. Regardless no one denies that 2e's mechanics are pretty bad, but since we do not have 3e yet we cannot decry new mechanics we haven't yet seen.

>> No.28608032

>>28608018
>I'm sure it's written somewhere who made what mechanics.
It is. >>28607931 is right.

>> No.28608051

>>28608032
Resorting to samefagging already huh?

>> No.28608073

>>28607799

Moran is great but unavailable. Last I heard she's in Hong-Kong writing manga for a company that's walking all over her while she does storygames on the side and plays Diaspora with the Evil Hat crew. Grabowski, if rumor is true, got out of the whole "Writing at less than minimum wage." game for a sweet job that pays more than minimum wage.
>>28607931

Calm the fuck down.

>> No.28608100

>>28607799

Get back to me when Jenna Moran can write a coherent narrative.

>> No.28608154
File: 85 KB, 512x406, barefist.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>28608051
Nah, not samefag. But for reference, I'm the guy you were arguing with earlier. I'll denote this with another shouty Panther.

I'm not denying that Neph and Moran write good stuff. Infernals really was Neph at his best, and it was amazing. It doesn't change the fact that they really screwed the pooch with the core-book. And it really showed in other books as well: Moran is much better when she's writing fluff, or really weird/wonky powers rather than something straightforward like Solars. Neph? He still fucked up pretty bad now and again. IIRC, that one charm that let you use MDV to substitute for regular DV? Neph.

>> No.28608178

>>28608100
To be fair, it's a very GOOD absolutely incoherent and batshit narrative.

>> No.28608432
File: 1.08 MB, 680x383, cawham.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>28608018
You... You I like. I was getting sick of the fanwank cancer.

>> No.28608640
File: 18 KB, 223x235, 1269176592690.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

WW retconned the ENTIRE World of Darkness. Why does this surprise you at all?
Fluff is entirely GM controlled anyways so who cares? use what you like, shit on what you don't.

>> No.28608705

>>28561267
Not everyone believes the game requires cross-splat balance.
Presumably because they either do not care about balance, or believe cross-splat balance is unnecessary. In the same way a fly cannot kill you, a mortal cannot (ideally) kill an established and peak-of-his-power solar exalted.

>> No.28608730

I don't suppose there's an ETA on release?

>> No.28608749

I'm writing a Merit for my Hollow-born body-modding plumber-turned EMT Twilight right now.

He's really tired of having his patients suffer asthma attacks and acid rain related allergic reactions, so he traches first and installs an air-filter and two shunts later.

He also does elective work!

>> No.28608758

>>28608705
They're not suggesting doing that, to the best of my knowledge. They're suggesting keeping Terrestrials as a challenging-enough-to-be-interesting opponent at comparable Essence levels to Solars.

>> No.28608764

>>28608730
Late January/Early February.

>> No.28608773

>>28608640
>WW retconned the ENTIRE World of Darkness.

no, they didn't. the old world of darkness had an overarching metaplot which was building up toward the end of the world, which duly took place.

the new world of darkness is an entirely seperate setting. it's not a retcon because they are two different universes.

>> No.28608796

>>28608764
Thank you.
I like the game, I think /tg/ gets a little wrapped up in beating each other over the head with little fanspats and personal opinions.
Hope you all have fun and find something you like when it comes out.

>> No.28608823

So, is this basically D&D on steroids? That's the impression I'm getting.

>> No.28608896

>>28608823
Not even remotely. There are only two points where it's similar to D&D:
Both settings have magic.
Both games feature high-powered heroes.

>> No.28608913

My group was already planning on using the old setting. I'M JUST HOPING THAT THE RULES WORK. Can you tell me that?

>> No.28608923

>>28608749

Does said elective surgery occur in a deli or similarly inappropriate space?

>> No.28609008
File: 59 KB, 700x268, 1de7e3dc83b093998ba11d2dcb8c69da_large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>28608796
I love the game too, but I think it's pretty common to argue for any game that's undergoing an edition change.

>>28608823
I guess you could look at it that way! Like, say, something in the Epic Level Handbook in 3.5, or D&D 2E's Birthright, with its emphasis on being a Big Deal in the setting. Planescape and its weird metaphysics is also a good comparison.

But really, Exalted is kind of its own thing. It borrows from a lot of sources and allows for a lot of different kinds of play. It doesn't really do the Dungeon Crawling aspect of D&D, mostly because you can surmount pretty much any obstacle. Instead, it's a lot more oriented around things like world domination and the ethics of power. There's a lot of info about it on 1d4chan, and you can check out the books. The setting is pretty sweet.

>> No.28609012

>>28607931
>That does FUCK ALL to change the fact that they WROTE THE 2E CORE

Which doesn't mean a goddamn thing.

>> No.28609017

>>28608823

You sell it way too short.

Weeabo sword and sorcery with a legitimate and substantial setting, a shit-ton of sex, high-powered drugs, and pc's capable of killing cities.

>> No.28609027

>>28608913
We can't tell you that until the book comes out. However, I think it would be safe to assume that the rules will at least be better.

>> No.28609051

>>28609012
I'd say it means at least one thing: the fact that they're directly responsible for a lot of 2E's problems, and not really the solution for those problems.

>> No.28609053

>>28608823

Exalted is pulp heroes multiplied by anime on a flat earth ringed by chaos.

Shards of the Exalted Dream introduced Heaven's Reach (Exalted is now Riddick+Star Trek.), Gunstar Autocthonia (Exalted is now Battlestar Autocthonia+Macross), and The Modern Age(Exalted is now Steven Segall+Deus Ex+Feng Shui)

>> No.28609056

>>28609017

It's dark and gritty weeaboo D&D?

>> No.28609107

>>28609056
0/10
>Capcha: Dapper Course

>> No.28609150

>>28609056
It's not wall-to-wall anime, but it's there. It's not really glorious nippon in any way, shape, or form, though.

The main region is a combination of Imperial Rome and Legalistic China. The East is basically pre-Columbus Central and Southern America, with Classical Greece thrown in for good measure. The North is eskimo-vikings, steppe nomads, and eastern europeans. The West consists of places like Carribean (as in pirates of), Hawaii, Thailand, and a bunch of other South Pacific regions. The South is the Middle East, Africa, India, and it also has cowboys with guns that shoot fire.

>> No.28609314

>>28608640
IT'S NOT A RETCON, IT'S A NEW FUCKING EDITION AND THEY CAN CHANGE ANYTHING THEY WANT TO BECAUSE THEY ARE STARTING FROM ZERO.

FUCK.

A Retcon is if in the core book they say X, and then in a later book in that edition they say no wait, it's really Y and has always been that way.

>> No.28609406

>>28609051
Except they aren't responsible for any of those things. They're responsible for the things that DID work in 2e.

>> No.28609522
File: 170 KB, 555x720, panther4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>28609406
They're not responsible for the stuff they wrote? Neph was one of the writers for the base mechanics, and Moran wrote the charms, combo mechanics, and sorcery mechanics. For fuck's sake, dude.

>> No.28609638

ITT: Babies whining over who their favorite author is.

>> No.28609759

>>28609150
Oh yeah and the world is flat.

Every Exalted I ever make will have the motivation of making it round.

>> No.28609762

>>28609638
I know, right? I don't even pay attention to the individual authors of PnP material. Just the publishing house and the product line.

>> No.28609822

>>28609762

That's just the worst.

Authors are what matters.

Granted, authors can go back, but publishing houses are a short hand for a group of authors.

>> No.28609891

>>28609406
I'm sorry, I have a huge respect for Borgstrom/Moran and am a huge fan of Nobilis, but she messed up big time with Ex2's corebook. She wrote the Sorcery mechanics, which are extremely wonky, as well as the Solar Charmset. She was the one to make the decision Perfect Defences should cost 3 motes, and she was the one to decide activating a Combo should cost willpower, which were two of the biggest problems with 2E's system.

>>28607505
>You mean the errata consisting mainly of tweaks my group and most other people I'd known who were into Exalted had been using since fucking 2009?
>consisting mainly of tweaks
>Errata book is 204 pages in its final version

For fucks sake dude are you trying to minimize the workload and size of the Scroll of Errata for the sole purpose of not admitting those people invested a lot of time and effort into making the game playable for free?

I know we're on 4chan, but that much intellectual dishonesty is downright appaling.

>> No.28610569

>>28609822
Are authors important when they dole out different standards for different products?

>> No.28611198

So, what's the tone supposed to be like for 3e? The hopeless doom and gloom of 1e, or the more optimistic "It's hard as fuck to do the right thing, but you /can/ do it."?

>> No.28611272

>>28610569
>Are authors important when they dole out different standards for different products?
Yes, because then you know what to expect from that author based on what style of game they are working on.

For example, I love Jenna Moran's game mechanics with regards to games that have no random elements (Nobilis, Chuubo's). I think her work is rather sloppy when it has them (Exalted). So when I see her name on a game, I know whether to be happy or not based on the type of game it is.

>> No.28611323

>>28611198
>Q: Will Ex3 have less grimdark and crapsack and "the gods are corrupt lazy assholes, the Incarnae are stoned fuckups who don't care about Creation, the Great Curse will turn every Solar into a murder-hobo and ruin all your attempts to make Creation better" stuff? (Erinys)
>A: That entire tone has been burned with fire. Shit still goes pear-shaped because of the mistakes, hasty decisions, apathy and indolence of great heroes, and the Great Curse is still a threat that paces like a hungry tiger, ready to strike out of the heart of heroism and turn triumph to terror. There is still murder, plague, and death. But the tone is about the greatness of heroes and how the Exalted have the power to change destiny and to triumph over the dreamers' old nemesis, despair. (John Morke) (ed note: 'Dreamers', in this case, referring to the Primordials, as seen in the Ink Monkeys' "Legend of the Titans".)
http://avatarcomic.net/ExaltedWiki/mediawiki-1.19.1/index.php?title=3E_Setting

>> No.28611352

>>28611323
Oh God, thank everything that is good and holy. Even if they're using the shitty as hell merit and flaws system, and the otherwise shitty NWOD chargen, I am going to pounce on EX3 so hard. I want to have its babies.

>> No.28611373

>>28609150
My favorite touch is the Coral Archipelago. Aesthetically, it's the Carribean. Politically? It's New England circa 1800.

The natives will tell you the Sea Lord is elected from among their number in a fair and open democratic contest, where all (save women, foreigners and slaves, because duh) are eligible to compete. Any outsider with eyes and an even cursory knowledge of the process knows it has nothing to do with who's most capable of rulership and everything to do with who can throw around the most bribe money. Booze for the plebs and ships for fellow captains, as a general rule.

>> No.28611417

>>28611323
>>28611198

Huh, this reminds me of a discussion a friend and I had about 2e.

Their was a whole huge thing, but the basic summary was that he said that The Ebon Dragon was the grand mastermind behind all the suffering in Exalted, Tzeench style. Everything that had ever transpired was his doing, and even his own imprisonment was part of the plan. I said that that's not true in the least, and The Ebon Dragon is basically just the worlds greatest fuck up, who ruins everything he touches, then claims it was all part of his plan all along.

Which one is more accurate for 2e?

>> No.28611463

>>28611352
Thats cus you have no taste.

>> No.28611630

>>28611417
The Dragon's Shadow (The Primordial that became ED) also was key in creating everything good, just, and honorable, and that purview's keeper, the Unconquered Sun.

Mainly so that what his existence represented had something to stand in contrast to, but it's much more complex than they're saying.

>> No.28611652

>>28611630
His existence? I thought he was non-existent? Just a hole in creation? Or did that only happen after his fetich soul was crippled?

>> No.28611728

>>28608913
Probably. Although I personally won't play anything 3E until the splats come out.

>> No.28611783

>>28611652
>His existence? I thought he was non-existent?
His primordial form existed. And he still exists as a Yozi. The ones who are a perverse rip in the fabric of existence are the Neverborn; the ones that were killed in the war.

>> No.28612375
File: 16 KB, 125x125, shark bite monitor.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>28611630
I'm glad this is going away. Szorenzy gets the keys to being an antagonistic, mirror-imaged dick, Ebby turns lights on for him on the way out and settles back into being "love those whose deaths change the world."

>> No.28613101

>>28611352
nWoD doesn't even use scaling exp anymore. It's "Do things, get exp, exp is worth one merit dot or skill specialty."

Merits are the new Backgrounds, Flaws don't exist to my knowledge.

>> No.28613184

>>28613101
Flaw definitely do not exist.

>> No.28613210

>>28613101
AFAIK, the new merits work like that:
They are split in two categories - chargen and in play (some may fit in both).
At chargen you buy them with points, but if you get them in play, they are free.

So for example, Breeding is only buyable at chargen, but influence within the Guild can be bought at chargen (if you want to just have it, no questions asked) or you can spend time getting it in play.

>> No.28613758

>>28613210
And they got rid of the "everything has to scale from 1-5, no exceptions" of the old backgrounds.

>> No.28613806

>>28613758

Which always felt weird, I can't even imagine someone actually wrote that down as a hard coded fact of the system.

"Backgrounds go from 1 to 5, no exceptions." "Uh...why?"

>> No.28613865

>>28613806
Because EVERYTHING goes 1 to 5.

>> No.28613878

>>28596236

>Shinma of Being Right

Holy SHIT stolen.

>> No.28613882

>>28613865

Well, everything except for attributes, abilities, specialties, willpower, essence, motes, stunt ratings, the circles of Sorcery...

>> No.28613914

>>28613882
Atts and Abilities do mostly go 1 to 5, at Essence rates from 1 to 5. Virtues are 1 to 5 as well.

>> No.28613949

>>28613914
>Atts and Abilities do mostly go 1 to 5
They don't even go from 1 to 5 IN CORE. The Tyrant Lizard, Siaka, and Yeddim are all sitting on Strength scores higher than 10, to say nothing of Juggernaut's insanity.

>[Abilities and] Essence rates from 1 to 5
Second and Third Circle Demons, any elder Exalt, but I will admit these go past 5 less often.

>Virtues are 1 to 5 as well.
They're pretty much the only thing on the charsheet that, under no circumstances, will never be greater than 5, yes.

>> No.28613993

>>28613949
PCs go 1 to 5. The only things on the basic PC that don't got 1 to 5 are specialties, motes and WP. (Sorcery is a charm tree, not charsheet dots.)

Oh and Conky has Virtues at 10.

>> No.28614036

>>28613993
>PCs go 1 to 5
Yeah because Lunars don't take on big forms, or PCs never have Essence scores higher than 5, or Charms that explicitly allow stat increases past the agecap.

>Oh and Conky has Virtues at 10
Nope. He rolls 10 successes on every Virtue check, but they're all rated at 5.

>> No.28614097

>>28614036
>Yeah because Lunars don't take on big forms, or PCs never have Essence scores higher than 5, or Charms that explicitly allow stat increases past the agecap.
>any of that in the core

Listen, you asked why would anybody rate bgs as 1 to 5. The simple answer is because ALMOST EVERYTHING ELSE at the base is 1 to 5. All the exceptions are later additions, as are 6-dot 'legendary' backgrounds.

>> No.28615353

>>28606724
Wait, PoH quit? I don't even pay attention to these things, nor did I hear of it. Does anyone have his SJ sperg out on record

>> No.28616424

>>28614097
It was even more problematic.
The Books themselves were trying to follow that rule.

You had to have the Five Compass of Terrestrial Direction, the Five Compass of Celestial Direction (Autocthonia was added later on, by the new writers, who think this "pattern of 5" obligation is stupid), the five Books of Sorcery, the five Books of Esoteric Knowledge....

The number 5 is indeed important in creation, but that's not pattern, that's autism.

>> No.28616506
File: 3 KB, 196x160, 1382088545907.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

Hey guys, do you have somewhere I can download the rulebook from?

Legal is preferable, but anything is good. I want to have a read through and see if this is suited for our group.

Thanks.

>> No.28616549

>>28616506
Are you looking for the 2nd Edition corebook? The Pirate Bay has entire archives with every 2E book.

But maybe you should wait for the 3rd Edition. 2E has its lot of mechanical troubles, combat is mostly sluggish and uninteresting. If your group doesn't do combat most of the time, then go for it though.

In any case, prepare to read massive amounts of fluff, because Exalted has tons of it, and it's a very intricate setting.

>> No.28616597

>>28616506
>>28616549

Also, be sure to pick up the Scroll of Eratta. If you do decide on playing, pick up one of the Compass books.

>>>/rs/Exalted&from=%2Ftg%2F

>> No.28616625

>>28616506
Oh, and one more thing, if you plan on playing 2Ed :
>>http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/84593/Scroll-of-Errata

This is the Scroll of Errata. It is free, and massive, and will fix the game enough to make it playable. You should download it and use it in conjunction with any 2Ed book you use.

>>http://anathema.github.io/
This is Anathema. It's a Chargen and management program for Exalted, that contains most of the content and was kept up to date with 2nd Ed's Errata. It also has every Charmtree in the game (although it doesn't have charm text, but it features editable charm descriptions, so you can write rules for picked charms yourself). It is a very useful program to have all around.

>> No.28616640

>>28616549

Aye, I'll probably buy 3rd Ed, but I'd like to have a read through 2nd first just to get a rough idea on the basics.
I wanna be able to talk to you guys about stuff in these threads in the months leading up to it's release afterall.

>>28616597
>>28616625

Thanks guys. That was nice of ya!

>> No.28616641

>>28616506
Here is an online interactive tutorial game:
http://jyenicolson.net/exalted/

It's quite comprehensive, quite fun, and should give you a good idea of how the game works. It's takes about a half hour to an hour to play, depending on your reading speed.

>> No.28616678

>>28616641
Is it up to date with Errata?
I think it's important to know, at least for disclaimer purposes. As in if it's not, play it to get the basics, but don't expect 100% mechanical accuracy from it.

>> No.28616749

>>28616678

It is.

>> No.28617134

>>28616641
>http://jyenicolson.net/exalted/

Okay this is awesome

>> No.28617139

>>28616424
>You had to have the Five Compass of Terrestrial Direction, the Five Compass of Celestial Direction
Which split Scavenger Lands form general East and thus Blessed Isle had to be shunted into Celestial Directions compasses...

>> No.28617270

>>28617139
The Scavenger Lands aren't a part of the East, though, as they aren't a massive never-ending forest. The Blessed Isle is the closest land mass in Creation to Yu-Shan, and was the location of the Solars' city of Meru during the first age; in both cases the best possible place one could live if they wanted to be in touch with the celestial gods(Although due to the Realm a little less so in the second age).

>> No.28617301

>>28616678
It is absolutely up to date with the errata.

>>28617134
It absolutely is.

>> No.28617403

Best martial art?

Anything but Solar hero is wrong

>> No.28617418

>>28617270
It's still firmly in creation. If not for the MUST BE FIVE rule, then it would be 6 Terrestial and 4, later 5, Celestial compasses

>> No.28617440

>>28617403

Infernal Monster Style allows you to Hulk out and use people as weapons, Crystal Chameleon Style can be used ot break the sound barrier if the practioner is properly tweaked, and Arms of the Unconquered Sun Style I can't really defend, I just like it for some reason.

>> No.28617480

Thanks for everyone who helped me get some of the materials before. Having fun with that practice game program atm.

Out of curiosity, what level of power to the Solar possess? They're obviously damn powerful, but could someone give me a reference point to a famous fantasy media figure?

>> No.28617525

>>28617480
Solars are Gilgamesh. Lunars are Enkidu.

>> No.28617552

>>28617480

Solars should be able to shake things up on a national scale from chargen. Classical Heroes, such as Odysseus, Hercules, and Gilgamesh all count. In the Bible, Samson killed 200 men with a Donkeys Jaw Bone. Sherlock Holmes, Indianna Jones and Iron Man, could all be Twilights. Robin Hood, Solid Snake, Agent 47, and every main character from the Assassin's creed series could be Night Castes. Zeniths and Eclipses would be a bit harder, as they work primarily through socialising, but the small few I gave for others should be a decent reference point.

>> No.28617603
File: 114 KB, 750x600, exalted_party.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>28617480

>> No.28617615

>>28617552
Good Zeniths are, incidentally, Jesus, Solomon and the like. Odysseus is an Eclipse. Gandalf would make a very good Eclipse if he wasn't already a Chosen of Journeys.

>> No.28617650

>>28617525
>>28617552
>>28617603
>>28617615

Hang on, Goku is a bit of a jump up from Hercules. Are Solars "just" legendary heros or are they planet destroying, laserbeam firing Gods?

Is that image more to highlight the power discrepancy between Exalted types?

>> No.28617656

>>28617525
Solars are Varrick, Lunars are Zhu Li.

>> No.28617666

>>28617650
In Exalted, Hercules grows into Goku after getting enough XP and a couple centuries to get elder essence ratings.

>> No.28617667

>>28617650

Goku would be a high level Exalt, Essence 5 bare minimum. I'm not sure about the image, because I know a few of them.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action