Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
[ERROR] No.27838092 [DELETED]  [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

/tg/ I need art of psychics,psychic powers in a modern setting.

telekinesis,Pyrokinesis,Psychometry,Bilocation whatever.

>> No.27838201

>> No.27838849

>>27838092
Goat-staring.

If you want some more serious things, think of how psychic powers were supposed to be used during the Cold War, and imagine how each country uses their psychics.
EG: Russians using psi-amplification devices to turn regular Ivans into telekinetics, British spies using clairvoyants to aid them in procuring information, etc.

>> No.27838965

>>27838092
You know what the really impressive thing about that picture is? Before he started concentrating, that was a bowl of creamed spinach in front of him.

>> No.27839683

>> No.27841113

Resuscitating this topic with my own question: Is there an RPG or setting dedicated to superpowered gangwars? Imagine Al Capone reimagined as a Wizard fighting against psychic cops…

>> No.27841184

>>27838965
Also, you obviously can't hear it because it's a photo but that slice of pizza is reciting Shakespeare.

>> No.27841237

>kinesis
>force boost
>event horizon
>summon/call meteorite
>combustion
>drain heat
>induction
>magnetic field
>spontaneous oxidation
>spontaneous random reactions
>compression + explosion
>decompression + implosion
>solar flash
>molecular structure disorder
>atomic reaction
Magick for you.

>> No.27841713

>>27841237
>>spontaneous oxidation
Hell yea.

>> No.27841873

>>27838092

All I have is earthbound pics.

I love psychic powers in fiction, too bad I'll never get to play a system that includes them. Most of the DnD and pathfinder peeps won't even touch psionics, and that's the only games I can seem to get.

>> No.27841881

>>27841873

>> No.27841884

>> No.27841906

>>27841873
Convince them to play WoD

>> No.27841938

Is psionics just a different flavor of magic fluff? I think there's more to it than that, at least in the sense of set-pieces and/or tropes.

>> No.27841939

How do you differentiate between Psionics and Magic in a setting where both exist, /tg/?

>>27841113
Closest might be shadowrun but it's got a different kind of feeling going on.

>> No.27841985

>>27841906

Old or New?

>> No.27841986

>>27841938
I feel that Psionics is more about discipline of self. You spend months if not years getting yourself under control till it "clicks" and you KNOW that the rock you're trying to move is as much part of you as your arm.

I'd say it's a very agnostic art while magic (even in godless settings) is all about believing and trying around.

>> No.27842259

>>27841938
In v.3.5, it's RAW intended to be fully transparent.
I normally go semi.
>>27841986
Interesting take.

>> No.27842356

>>27841938
Psionics is actually what magic is in many settings. Vancian is very, VERY specific to one series and not even used or applied in DnD books themselves. Shadowrun? Well it turns out its magic, but the entire method/application of it is done the way psionics are thought of, though with external energy sources.

Psionics is the inner-self-mastery stuff many stories focus on for mystics, monks, wise old men, and... many many mages. People tend not to like it because psionics often end up with scientific or pseudoscientific terms: instead of "heat metal magic" or "moon power makeup" you'll have "molecular agitation" or "rapid fabric reorganization". You power it with your own energy, life-force often even.

This is the stuff of gods, though at but a fraction of their power and finesse - the power you yourself generate, used to adjust the world around you.

Compare to standard "magic", which uses specific formulas, motions and materials to alter the energies that are naturally found in the world around you.

>> No.27842416

>>27842259
Thank you.

>>27842356
>This is the stuff of gods, though at but a fraction of their power and finesse - the power you yourself generate, used to adjust the world around you.
That is a good thought. A psion is doing things through her OWN power. ESP is therefore the first step of man to emancipate itself while magic is merely pedantic doodling with flawed methods. Not that it isn't powerful, of course.

>> No.27842444

>>27842416
Both can be used to attain things like godhood, actually.

The difference is more that one does so through emulating the very method of the Powers, while the other actually accesses higher levels of energy until he can eventually upgrade or convert himself into such an entity.

The magic user actually has some advantages in terms of power until then, but the psionicist can uses his power without grandstanding, without burning diamonds or incense. Quietly just making it all happen like a god.

>> No.27842522

I always figured that a big difference between magic and psionics is that magic has all this formula shit, like it's a set of instructions for reality that you push into existence. Magic has this "fire and forget" aspect, where you pour your power into that set of instructions and that power does what the instructions say.

Meanwhile, psionics is all about manual control. Maybe if you're good enough you can schism off a bit of your psyche to devote some subconscious, automatic control to a given power, or practice enough to make something as routine as breathing, but for the most part if you want that rock to move, you've got to reach out with your mind and exert some kinetic force on those molecules yourself.

>> No.27842582

>>27842522
>Meanwhile, psionics is all about manual control. Maybe if you're good enough you can schism off a bit of your psyche to devote some subconscious, automatic control to a given power, or practice enough to make something as routine as breathing, but for the most part if you want that rock to move, you've got to reach out with your mind and exert some kinetic force on those molecules yourself.
Yea. You want a fireball? Better learn how to make air molecules behave that way, turbonerd.

>> No.27842649

>>27842356

For me, it doesn't have to be scientific or pseudoscientific--hell, it can be completely inexplicable--but I like the notion of "psychic power comes from within, magic power comes from without", where psychic power is more of an exercise in empathy and creativity and magic is more taping powers outside of ones knowledge and the rituals (or not) used to manipulate them.

On an aside, this is why I much prefer spontaneous casters in DnD than prepared. Makes it feel like the magic is more...natural and mysterious, if that makes any sense.

>> No.27842669

>>27842522
That's basically it. Under a lot of setting creation myths, at one point the gods went "here. if you follow these recipes you get specific effects". Sure, people then went on to extrapolate other effects from deciphering the bigass list, but overall, they're just cooking some effects.

Psionics bypasses all this shit... for better or for worse. You want this rock to move, you don't need a fucking cookbook. Just make the rock fucking move.

Which is great and all, but now you're trying to get a rock to move with nothing but your willpower. You better have a metric fuckton of willpower because that rock couldn't give a flying fuck about what you fucking want.

>> No.27842677

>>27842649
I was referring to the naming scheme on a lot of powers. A lot of folks very unfortunately decide "eh it's just SF stuff" after seeing those names.

>> No.27842680

>>27842649
>Makes it feel like the magic is more...natural and mysterious, if that makes any sense.
It does. Press-button-receive-bacon magic actually never appealed to me. That's one of the reasons I weaned our group off of DnD and began playing, well, you know.
GURPS.
Please don't hurt me.

>> No.27842688

>>27841938
The concept of magic is rooted in a pre-modern perspective of the world which held that natural phenomena were the result of supernatural forces or beings. Hence failing crops might be the result of evil spirits, lightning strikes might be an angry god, even non-natural events like missing tools could be attributed to mischievous fae creatures.

The upshot of this was that if you knew how to bargain with these beings, or coerce them, you had some indirect control over nature. Hence you might perform a ritualised sacrifice to the sea god if you wanted good weather on a voyage, you might keep the idol of a household god in your home to ensure safety, you might hang a horseshoe over your door to ward off bad spirits, and so on. The other most common form of magic was divination, trying to communicate with these beings for information: augurs, for instance, tried to divine messages from the gods in the flight of birds, necromancers tried to communicate with spirits of the dead, and so on. This doesn't cover all forms of magic (especially in the East) but virtually all of it was rooted in some kind of religion.

According to modern science, the world isn't controlled by magical beings, but operates according to physical laws. These laws are mechanistic, meaning they have no preferences, thoughts or feelings - in short, no personality - so the concept of trying to gain their favour no longer makes any sense. The modern concept of psychic powers, or "parapsychology" - while completely pseudoscientific - is rooted in modern thinking, namely that the human brain has some special functions that are not widely understood. A person with telepathy doesn't depend on supernatural forces or beings to function, any more than you need a spirit to help you see or smell.

So if I wanted to put them in a game together, I'd make it clear that magic is drawn through bargains with otherworldly beings, while psionics is the power of the mind alone.

>> No.27842719

Is there Caster rivalry in your campaign or setting, /tg/? Does the Psion look at your Wizard with contempt because he uses bat guano and stupid-looking gestures while dressing in cloth, rather than simply destroying things by concentrating?

>> No.27842733

>>27842688
Actually a lot of psionics is taken from old tales of mystics, mystery men and the such.

While a Wizard is the guy who learns the metaphysical laws, a Psionicist is basically a lucky case for their race; they are born AS one of those supernatural or paranormal critters, and with effort and training will be able to improve and modify those very abilities thanks to the extra bonus of being fully sentient.

>> No.27842745

>>27842719
It usually goes both ways in mine.
"You wave pinches of shit in your hand to set fire to people"
"At least I don't get a headache doing it"

>> No.27842756

>>27842719
>not being sorcerer master race
kek'd.

>> No.27842773

>>27842733
Forgot to add:
OR someone who's attained 'enlightenment', a closeness or oneness with the world around them, an intuitive, rather than formulaic and educated, understanding of how shit works and how to change it.

>> No.27842795

>>27842719
Reminds me of a setting I once made in which Psions where the grunts ruled over by a Wizard elite. ESP can be selected for so a few years of SCIENCE later you get docile but powerful psion children who don't get uppity the way educated mages do.

Unfortunately I lost most of my notes.

>> No.27842903

FUN FACT: The concepts of telepathy and telekinesis, of psychics in general, is almost an entirely modern concept.

That's not to say that old beliefs in magic didn't have similarities, but they also had profound differences. Directly manipulating stuff with your mind, or reading minds, or other traditional psychic concepts doesn't turn up in folklore and myth very often.

Rather, most of these concepts sprung out of Spiritualism, a quasi-religion that first came into existence in upstate New York in the mid 1840s. Interestingly enough, it was in the same part of upstate NY where Mormonism first developed. Must be something funny in the water up there. Anyway, spiritualism popularized seances, mediums, hypnotism, and other such things. It proved wildly, popular, both in the US and then in the UK. You know how vampires in fiction can often mesmerize people? Yeah, there's nothing like that in folklore. That's from "Dracula," where Bram stoker clearly added it in, drawing off of the contemporary fad of spiritualism.

The terminology and concepts of psychic phenomena first really came together in 1882, with the founding of the Society of Psychical Research in London. The word "telepathy" was in fact coined by one of the founders. The SPR was formed out of a desire to approach the claims and ideas of Spiritualism in a scientific manner, and in its earlier years dedicated a lot of time to ferreting out frauds. It outed a number of famous members of the spiritualist movement as hoaxers or shams.

The organization inspired other, similar groups, such as Stanford university's attempts to study parapsychology in 1911. They're the ones who invented the famous card system for testing ESP, the same one used in "Ghostbusters." Unlike the SPR though, these other groups were, shall we say, less rigorously scientific. Duke University's attempts to research ESP were widely criticized for unscientific sensationalism, and they eventually closed down such experiments.

>> No.27842928

>>27842903
>FUN FACT: The concepts of telepathy and telekinesis, of psychics in general, is almost an entirely modern concept.
That wasn't very fun at all, anon. You need to work on your sense of humour.

>>27842795
Maybe we could resurrect it in this thread?

>> No.27843691

>>27842903
I think you may be leaving out mystical asceticism and other "transcending purity" myths of meditating minds gaining master over matter. That's another aspect of supposedly "psychic" phenomenon.

Take the mysticism surrounding wushu, the basics of which date back centuries. Of course, all the truly gonzo stuff doesn't start until the 20th century (Spiritualism + Orientalism = 5 point exploding palm technique).

And then there's yoga, which is a couple thousand years old at least. And tantra, which is well over a thousand.

>> No.27843820

Where do the diclonii go on the psychic/psionic scale?

>> No.27843973

>>27843691
>I think you may be leaving out mystical asceticism and other "transcending purity" myths of meditating minds gaining master over matter.

The key thing, though, is that those things were originally about the SPIRIT, not the MIND. To ancient or medieval peoples the idea of the mind above all else, or the mind as something distinct from the soul, would generally be a foreign idea. They believed in spiritual enlightenment and mysticism, which I would argue is something very different from mind-over-matter psychic power.

>> No.27844063

>> No.27844128

>>27842903

This doesn't surprise me much. I've always thought of psionics as more of a sci-fi or pseudo-science thing, not magic. It always seemed weird to me when a medieval fantasy setting used them both. It's the wrong flavor.

>> No.27844149

>> No.27844221

>>27843820

Their limbs are roughly 3m in lengeth, which is longer than most psionics. I know that by the end of the Manga, Lucy does effective become god but I can't remember how or why

She's still weak to bullets [50. anti-tank for example]. We really don't get info enough info about them, other than high-vibration limbs and virus-based reproduction

>> No.27844304

>>27844221
>Lucy does effective become god but I can't remember how or why
If I recall correctly it's because she gets an emotional overload, she hated humans her entire life, but they've treated her well and she ends up hating her own people because they're all fuckers and her 2 conflicting personalities break down, causing her to unleash all her power at once which melts her body. I actually really liked the manga

>> No.27846616

>>27842688
If a law will always prefer one thing in favor of another, isn't that like a personality?

You also don't have to fully understand a law to expose it's loopholes

>> No.27847278

>>27841113
Unknown Armies might be a good choice.

>> No.27851628

bump

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action