Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

/vt/ is now archived.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 340 KB, 2000x1473, warhammer40kart1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
27043282 No.27043282 [DELETED]  [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

Okay so I'm thinking of getting in to 40k but have no idea what I'm doing. I have a few questions specifically and would appreciate any other info like the different play styles opinions as to which is the best faction and why and personal experiences with a given faction.
My specific questions are:
1. can all space marines be used in the same army (except Chaos space marines obviously) ie can I use dark angels pieces with regular space marines or because they have a separate codex must they be kept separate.
2. Either way if I get regular space marine models can I just paint them in the color of a specific chapter and use them with the chapter specific pieces as if they are just regular members of that chapter?
3. what is the standard number of points allotted in a tournament game

>> No.27043293

bump

>> No.27043330

Not OP but also interested.
Tau look pretty cool.

>> No.27043332

anybody?

>> No.27043375

>>27043330
this is OP honestly Im most interested in either dark angels or necrons but the tau do seem oretty badass "work for the greater good or I'll kill you all"

>> No.27043383

>>27043293
OP, you are new to these parts, so a friendly note:
This ain't /b/ or /v/.
/tg/ is a slow board, especially during American school times. Bumping your thread after a single minute is foolishness, and will have regulars ignore you on principle. Chill, wait bout 10 minutes, especially since responses can take long to type, before you bump, and shit will be cool.
>a regular lurker

>> No.27043385

>>27043282
>can all space marines be used in the same army (except Chaos space marines obviously) ie can I use dark angels pieces with regular space marines or because they have a separate codex must they be kept separate.
Yes, using the Allies rule. Look at that rule to get an understanding of what armies you can combine and to what degree.
>Either way if I get regular space marine models can I just paint them in the color of a specific chapter and use them with the chapter specific pieces as if they are just regular members of that chapter?
Yes, but most neckbeards will yell at you for doing that.
>what is the standard number of points allotted in a tournament game
Typically, it's 1850.

>> No.27043444

>>27043383
thank you, very much noted.
>>27043385
thanks man

>> No.27043870

Pay attention to what the locals are playing. If you are deciding between 3 forces (spess muhreens, tau, and necron) see what others are doing.

If theres a ton of marine players, and you dont see anyone going necron, then that will make you a desireable opponent. Most people are itching to see what new players are bringing in to get experience facing someone and something new.

That being said, the best way to play 40k is to find an army you think would be the coolest, and just play that. It doesnt matter if they seem to be at the bottom in terms of competitiveness, just have fun painting and making your force.

>> No.27043893

Also dont worry too much about winning or losing, especially since you are a new player. There is a lot to take in with this game, a ton of rules apply everywhere, so you may forget things that could have helped, etc.

Again, just play to have fun. Some of my most memorable games were close calls but still losses.

>> No.27045632

All the armies will look awesome, but the game itself has no balance. If you like entertaining fluff, 40K is full of it, but it is not consistent whatsoever. If you just want to paint awesome mini's and have good self contained fluff, 40k might be right for you.
Ask your doctor

>> No.27045665

Don't try to be competitive. At all. 40k is not that kind of game.

If you want a game that's all about skill, pick something else.

If you want to have ridiculous battles with cool models, 40k is for you.

Seriously, don't even consider tournaments, you'll just come to hate the game.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action