Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
[ERROR] No.26389168 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

ITT: we describe the best groups we've had the chance to play with

let's make each other jelly, /tg/

>> No.26389184

PCs or players?

>> No.26389233

>>26389184
Either/both I guess?

>> No.26389267

>>26389168
a MurderHobo Warlord, a Min-maxed Warlock and a That guy wizard

>> No.26389333

How is it to have a group where you don't have THAT player?

>> No.26389477

>>26389333
just kick him out bro it's not that hard

>> No.26389480

>>26389267
Your pain is palpabble, friend.

>A one eyed ranger
>A one armed samurai
>A mute magician
There was also a single minded gunslinger but I'd rather forget about him.

[spoilers]My injury was being dead.[spoilers]

>> No.26389542

>>26389480
I fucked up the spoilers again. This is, like, the fifth time tonight.

>> No.26389547

I've been DMing since my early teens and when I was 14 a girl I knew asked me if I could DM for a group of her friends. She was the only one of the group who ever played any tabletop game (with another group and me as the DM). I agreed to try.

And so I've found myself DMing a game with a group of five-six female players every other week for four years. We still occasionally play together once in a while and I've married one of those girls two years ago.

In the first (AD&D) campaign they played a group of five paladins

>> No.26389549

>>26389168

Let's see... ongoing campaign for 3 years

low-magic (most magic items were made for specific people and were warded, and thus rare to come across)...
it was low xp (we gained at 1/4 the normal rate... took us 3 years of once a week play to get from lvl2 to lvl8)
DM was a stickler to tradition... NO PRESTIGE CLASSES

It was set in Mystara.
Lets get to the party shall we?
We were a group of 3 people used to being dms. so the two of us that were PCs ended up playing 3 chars a piece (to balance the party out). And the DM played a couple NPCs that traveled with us.
(we were awarded bonus xp for keeping our characters separate and played them as individuals) [side note: two of my characters once argued over a course of action. I got a pretty sweet xp haul out of the deal]

lets get to the break down of the party.

the other player's: Barbarian of chaotic evil alignment (due to a curse he was trying to rid himself of), a rogue (swashbuckler themed, sticky fingered & slick tongued), and a fighter/rogue (all were from Karameikos)

Me: having a thing for vikings all mine were from Vestland (Mostly), I was playing a ranger/fighter searching for his father (he had a curse: horses would die under him like they were going out of fashion... he ended up needing to buy 6 horses in the course of the campaign) and a cleric of Odin (spiritual advisor and cousin to the rgr/ftr)... later, the rgr/ftr bought himself a slave (more because he could than anything else) which was a swashbuckler/fighter (I had just bought the Complete Warrior.

and the 2 NPCs that tagged along with us were a 7 year old girl that the rogue adopted... and a wizard.

The wizard was a running joke.
He was a bookworm more concerned with learning history and law than spells. He only had 0 lvl spells (even though he was the same level as the rest of us)

but we gladly protected him and brought him with us everywhere we went.

He kept our asses out of jail when we got drunk at taverns, ahaha

>> No.26389563

>>26389542
Use ctrl-s

>> No.26389671

>>26389549
>Mystara
Here in Poland it's hard to play Mystara because "stara" is a slang word for mother/wife.

No one wants to play my stara.

>> No.26390925

>>26389671
so it's yo momma the setting?

>> No.26390997

>>26390925
It's "my old lady" the setting, which is either worse or better depending on one's individual perspective.

>> No.26391026

Due to a miscommunication, my clique's first ever 3.5 game was pretty cheesy and, at first, seemed like in a more realistic setting they would all be dead. However all of us had a way to seem like a classic fantasy team. Me and another guy played a Hengeyokai. I was an Ardent and he was a Ranger so I just posed as his pet rat while he was in human form. Our changeling just disguised herself as a human cleric and our kobold Wu Jen pretended to be our slave. We actually got along quite nicely with the DM, who was a vetern.

>> No.26391526

>>26389547
>AD&D
how old are you?

>> No.26391661

A Norwegian physicist, a seventeen-year-old ex-Mennonite runaway, an artisan butcher from Vermont, and a drifting grifter.

With a supporting cast of a bum from New Zealand, a PTSD-afflicted Foreign Legion vet from Morocco, an Irish librarian, several house servants and the seven NPCs who preceded the party in their task and got killed trying, and an elderly caretaker. And an Alaskan husky pup.

And some others I shouldn't mention because the game has secrets and you can't really play once you know them. It was fun.

>> No.26391778

>>26391526
I'm 31, why?

>> No.26391841

The party was an awful lot of close friends from high school. Our DM had thought at the time that inviting 6+ people to a party would work, although as time progressed it became very obvious that we could never have sessions where EVERYONE was present - too many people with too many things getting in the way.

Still, it was easily the best party I've experienced so far regarding how much fun we had. The campaign boiled down to a major war between a giant evil empire and a scattered resistance.

The party was as follows:

Me, the stoic ranger who sought to constantly improve with the bow. As part of the story, the DM would give each of us one really awesome magic weapon - mine was an alchemical longbow that auto-crits if you expend some HP.

Next, there was a cleric. She wasn't around very often and almost always had to be played by the DM or another PC. Moving on.

A Paladin, though played by the most non-LG person I can possibly imagine. He literally talked about murdering people and seriously not OK things and he was the Paladin. Still, he was pretty laid back and fun to play with.

The Sorcerer, who combined with the Paladin would frequently go off and get high before playing. It wasn't terribly distracting when they did that, but he would find other ways to be annoying sometimes. The guy did massive damage, but complained that he wasn't stronger than the party's druid.

The druid, who was a piece of work. She was feisty both in and out of character, and she liked to flaunt how powerful she was. Occasionally she'd walk the edge of fetish territory by suggesting she would seduce and boink a powerful DMPC, but she had a good character and it worked.

The Barbarian, who despite not being around was almost always my favorite character because of how he acted. Typical guy with big muscles and very little brains. He became a sort of comic relief that was appreciated. He got a DM weapon which allowed him to basically Whirlwind (Think Diablo 2) with a nasty spear.
>Cont

>> No.26391940

>>26391841
The Rogue, who came closest to being a That Guy by basing his character off of Ezio from Assassin's Creed ("I want to be an Assassin, but a good guy!"). Still, he was fun to play with and the DM made his character VITALLY important to the plot. Unfortunately, he stopped showing up and we were forced to cover for him too.

The Fighter, who contends with the Barbarian for being my favorite character. This campaign was her first (and to my knowledge only) tabletop RPG she has played. In the story, she comes from a nation that is aligned with the Evil Empire, though she hates her kingdom for their allegiance. However, what made her so appealing personally was how non-seriously she took the campaign. While others (like the Rogue) may have taken things a little too seriously, her personality always brightened the mood. She would frequently brandish a morning star that she had named "Diplomacy" around whenever a plot-critical NPC wasn't telling us what we wanted to know ("Maybe we should try a little bit of MY diplomacy!")

That's what we had - a whopping 7 PCs all together. By the end of it, only 3-4 of the players kept showing up regularly and the DM had to call the campaign off.

To date, that campaign was the greatest time I have had with tabletop. Gaming with friends cannot be beat, in my book. The DM from that campaign is getting ready to sit down with a smaller crowd of us and try out some homebrew system he cooked up. I couldn't be more excited.

>> No.26391954

>>26391526
I'm playing an online game that runs AD&D, and i'm in my early 20s.

It depends entirely on what the DM wants you to play.

>> No.26392121

>>26391954
why are you playing an outdated system?

>> No.26392201

>>26392121
>why are you playing an outdated system?

Not that guy, but fuck you and fuck that.

>> No.26392213

Best group I ever played with was the one from a long-running Eberron game I DM'd over IRC, which ended two or three years ago. We had a few people of varying talent rotate through over the course of things, but the core of the group were good friends of mine and excellent roleplayers - including the author of my favorite fantasy novel, who I was lucky enough to meet a few years prior to the game.

What started off as a sandbox game loosely themed after Firefly, with the party crewing an airship and taking on various missions of dubious morality, eventually became an epic struggle to defeat the Lich Queen's plans to restore her fallen House both in the present day and in the past. Some highlights of the game include:

>the closest to a TPK they ever came was when a changeling PC caused so much paranoia that they blew up their own ship and lost nearly everyone
>Sharn was nearly wiped out by a self-replicating army of shadows
>the only PC who survived the entire campaign was the bard, and not for lack of trying on my part
>the most dangerous recurring villain they faced was pic related, and turned out to be a fallen PC who had been raised by Vol (who never appeared on screen) and gently coerced into seeing things her way
>forbidden love between gnome and kobold

It was just a wonderful game with fantastic players, and all involved agreed it was one of the best they'd ever been in. You should totally be jelly, /tg/, as long as you don't take into account the fact that the game fell apart before its conclusion over unrelated interpersonal problems, and I no longer have contact with half of the group.

>> No.26392307

>>26392121
Why aren't you?

>> No.26392311

>>26392201
Why do people play 3.5 instead of 4e? Why do people not want to play D&D Next?

It's all about personal preference. My god, not everyone thinks that what's newest is what's best.

>> No.26392316

System: Pathfinder; Setting: Golarion (PF's official setting. Basically a slightly different Forgotten Realms); Party: Rogue, Barbarian, Fighter/Bard/Duelist, Cleric, Monk

>Plot
Party was sailing toward the city of Katapesh (ie, Zanzibar + Cairo), gets involved in a shipwreck, and ends captured by gnolls. Sold in Katapesh as slaves and forced to go through what was basically a reenactment of Gladiator, until they manage to escape the city after being framed for a murder and a robbery. Eventually find out they stole a relic highly priced by like a dozen of doomsday cults, all of which expected the world to end in one way or another, which then try to sway/capture/kill/control the party.

Then comes the completely harmless dungeon, where one of the rooms had a rift into the Quasielemental Plane of Salt as part of an encounter with a salt quasielemental.

From that point onward, things went completely off course and we ended having the most entertaining and surprising campaign I've ever played, starting with the rogue loading his bags with salt to sell back in town, the party founding a salt trading company, and ending with the world being destroyed by a rain of orbital iron golems loaded with instant portals to the Negative Energy Plane.

It also involved making an aboleth fly with a balloon made from dinosaur skin, stealing a kid's dream in order to build a fountain of actual gold, collapsing the regional economy, and trading people's nightmares for jewels.

What made it so memorable is that it was filled with carefully planned, premeditated actions by the players which completely caught me off guard, so it was more a game of them surprising me than the other way around. The whole thing lasted over 2 RL years.

Best game I've ever had.

>> No.26392329

>>26392311
It has better graphics.

>> No.26392406

>>26392121
advanced is actually one of the most popular themes

Hell, even some of the popular streamers use it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9HS48vx1NQ

>> No.26393000

>>26392316
That sounds absolutely fantastic.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action