Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
[ERROR] No.26326318 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

>daemon
>vampyre
>wytch
>wyrm
>faerie
>magick
>Satanus
>wyne

Why do people do this?

>> No.26326335

its cool to spell things differently

>> No.26326364

> hating daemon, wyrm, faerie

>> No.26326368

>>26326318
cringed

>> No.26326371

Daemon, wyrm, faerie, and magick are all classical terms from medieval-era languages (or earlier), so they get an automatic pass.

But vampyre, wytch, Satanus, and wyne are more 'also written as' terms and you are indeed a fucking cunt for doing that if you're spelling them like that.

>> No.26326390

Isn't 'wyrm' spelled like that...?

>> No.26326391

>>26326318
daemons are a thing, not to be confused with demons

faerie and magick and to a lesser extent vampyre and wyrm (not to be confused with worms) were the original/alternate spellings of the word and would make sense in most fantasy settings

>> No.26326398

>>26326371
This guy has it right.

>> No.26326407

>>26326318

>daemon
OK if you're speaking Greek or Latin, otherwise dumb.
>vampyre
Always dumb
>wytch
Always dumb
>wyrm
An entirely respectable word for an entirely respectable creature from old norse mythology
>faerie
OK if you're speaking proto-english, otherwise dumb
>magick
Always dumb
>Satanus
Dumb misspelling of Satanas, which is aOK if you're speaking Latin.
>wyne
Always superdumb

>> No.26326418

>>26326318
Daemon, wyrm, faerie, magick have historical basis. Don't think so about the rest, but I might be wrong.

>> No.26326420

>>26326318
>wyrm
As opposed to what? Worm?

>> No.26326423

>>26326371
"Magick" is not a classical term. It's not a different word than "magic." It's literally just an antique spelling of "magic," it's the same blimey word.

>> No.26326429

>The words "dæmon" and "daimôn" are Latinized versions of the Greek "δαίμων", a reference to the daemons of ancient Greek religion and mythology, as well as later Hellenistic religion and philosophy.

>The word for dragon in Germanic mythology and its descendants is worm (Old English: wyrm, Old High German: wurm, Old Norse: ormr), meaning snake or serpent. In Old English wyrm means "serpent", draca means "dragon".

>The word fairy derives from Middle English faierie (also fayerye, feirie, fairie), a direct borrowing from Old French faerie (Modern French féerie) meaning the land, realm, or characteristic activity (i.e. enchantment) of the legendary people of folklore and romance called (in Old French) faie or fee (Modern French fée).

>Magick is an Early Modern English spelling for magic, used in works such as the 1651 translation of Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa's De Occulta Philosophia, Three Books of Occult Philosophy, or Of Magick.

>The Oxford English Dictionary dates the first appearance of the word vampire in English from 1734, in a travelogue titled Travels of Three English Gentlemen published in the Harleian Miscellany in 1745. However, earlier references to the word vampire can be found in the form of vampyre.

>> No.26326431

>>26326423
Thine source of knowledge hath failed me!

>> No.26326435

>>26326407
>>magick
>Always dumb

But it's better

>> No.26326443

>>26326435
It's only OK if you're trying to pluralize magic as 'magicks' and want it to actually look nice on paper.

>> No.26326445

>>26326318
Daemon is a legitimate spelling, and is often used to refer to something other than traditional Abrahamic demons, usually a sort of Gneius Loci of a very minor nature.

Comes from the greek spelling for these minor minor spirits.

Faerie, is typical, often used to distinguish older fair folk myths from tinkerbell pixie shit.

wyrm is actually an old word (we're talking Anglo-Saxon on the mainland old) and does refer to dragons (usually wingless).

Magick, blame people seeing it and not realizing Crowley had a numerological reason for spelling it that way.

Satanus: well if we have to speak bastardized Latin, lets at least get the ending right.

>People not doing there research for words you CAN find in a dictionary, or have common reasons for being spelled that way in a certain medium/genre.
>Autists who can't into jargon.

Why so autistic OP?

>> No.26326448

>>26326429
almost every word in the english language is derived from another language and was at one time spelled differently. that doesn't give writers an excuse to be a pretentious cunt and fuck up people's eyeballs with their linguistic faggotry

>> No.26326457

>>26326443
I posit that it's always okay and that what you're trying to state as fact is merely opinion.

>> No.26326472

>>26326448
>almost every word in the english language is derived from another language and was at one time spelled differently

because most fantasy settings are modern day MURRIKA right?

>> No.26326476

>>26326448
Except you're being a massive faggot, since Wyrm is an actual fucking word, and only sounds like worm to us due to English losing the rounded i (the y in wyrm).

Oh and as for why it has that same fucking sound, they both came from that wyrm form, it meant a fucking snake.

>> No.26326497

>>26326476
Oh god, this guy has figured out the internet.

>> No.26326520

>>26326472
>Not realizing the only thing close to a pure language in Europe is most likely Lappish.
>Not realizing Norman and Anglo-Saxon were already fucking fucking mixtures of various languages before they combined into the creol that became Modern English.

Get with the program, English sucks, but at least it's nowhere near as bad as French with, muh pure language.

>> No.26326525

>>26326429
>The word for dragon in Germanic mythology and its descendants is worm
>Old High German: wurm

actually Lindwurm is still used for dragons.

>> No.26326533

>>26326472
because most fantasy characters speak english, right? all i'm saying is, i prefer to read modern english, not modern english speckled with TOTES KEWL SPELINS BRAH

>> No.26326553

>>26326423
The same is true for daemon and faerie, is it not? Eternity and ether were both aeternity and aether.

>> No.26326555

>>26326448
In most cases, I think that folks are just trying to evoke a different connotation. In many cases, they are going for a less modern, more arcane feel. "Fairy" tends to make people think of Tinkerbell or little winged sprites that exchange teeth for money. "Wyrm" is how you fucking spell it. "Vampyre" is probably trying a bit too hard. "Wytch" is godawful, and "magick" and "daemon" are somewhat equivalent to "ye olde shoppe".

>> No.26326584

>>26326555
Once again daemon might be refering to the greek idea of agathadaemonoi (good demons, in the sense of a spirit) and cacodaemonoi (maelific demons).

And magick you can blame on Crowley, who had very specific reasons for spelling it that way.

>> No.26326586

>>26326555
i guess it's alright if you're tring to evoke a certain feel, but there's much more effective ways to do that without conjuring up images of lonely goths sacrificing rabbits to to the devil

>> No.26326631

I personally feel like magick should be spelled magick because imagine if tick was tic, or breadstick was breadstic.

>> No.26326646

>>26326631
But tick and tic are entirely different words.

>> No.26326675

>>26326646
Tic wouldn't be the first word to have two meanings. What about ear?

Not sure how I feel about magik though.

>> No.26326676

>>26326586
Things do get colored by association, but if you're concerned about lonely goths, I'd stay well clear of vampires, whatever the spelling.

>>26326584
>Once again daemon...
Sure. That too. Sometimes it *is* more like ye olde shoppe though.

>> No.26326712

>>26326631
I generally prefer to minimize the number of letters in words, if only to make things more efficient.

>> No.26326716

>>26326675
Yeah, I really should have pointed out that using -ic for descriptive words (which magic is, at it's core) is far more common than using -ick. See caustic, hectic and sulfuric.

>> No.26326757

>>26326676
True, I'm usually fine with it if it's not obviously Abrahamic things what fell with Lucifer, or if they're brushed up on their pseudigraphica Azazel.

>>26326716
mostly because those things are Latin loan words either via germanified latin, norse germanified latin, or norse-germanified latin wrung through ingaevonic.

>> No.26326769

>>26326553
Yes and you're a faggot if you say "aeternity," thanks for demonstrating my point.

>> No.26326813

>>26326769
not if I say it ah-tayr-nee-tü.

>> No.26326816

>>26326584
I know this isn't /x/ so I'm not going to berate you for not knowing something that should be common knowledge to any student of the occult, but Crowley did not invent the spelling of "magick." I have a copy of the 1651 English translation of Philosophia Occulta and it does say "magick." It uses this spelling unapologetically, as though it were taken for granted that that IS the correct spelling (because in 1651, it was).

>> No.26326826

>>26326757
Isn't that same the way we get magic, though? At least, it came to us via the Roman world.

>> No.26326850

I'm Lyndsy, a ninth generation practicing wytch and a confident womyn who doesn't need a man.

My magick is a gift from the Faerie Queene Mab

>> No.26326873

What if you're running a JRPG themed game?

Surely random obsolete words or misspelled mythical beasts are de rigeur

>Glave-kun! The Oroboras Wyrm is highly attuned to the magick flow of the crystalsphere! If we cast Aero Wytchery at it it will die!

>> No.26326882

>>26326826
True, however it's a very old loan-word and the -ic in magic has a different phonetics when looked at closely, it's harder like most ck ending words, closer to a uvular than the plain velat ic entails.

>>26326850
>wytch
Does anyone even actually use that spelling?
>womyn
Hated this.
>magick
keep on spelling it that way, not sure if you know why
>faerie
>not Fair Folk, the people under the hill, or the good folk
0/10, would not frolic naked in the woods with.

>> No.26326950

>>26326882
>not sure if you know why
There IS no reason why. Magick is just an antique spelling of magic. That's literally all it is, there's no special significance.

>B-but, muh Thelema
Crowley was a faggot, pedophile, and protege to L. Ron Hubbard. He turned magic's search for wisdom and divine truth into a homosexual swinger's club.

>> No.26326974

As already expressed elsewhere, daemon and wyrm can be struck off the list immediately as they refer to different enough concepts from their modern equivalent that there's sense in using them in those contexts.
Magick I personally dislike, but it's a solid way of distinguishing between the occult and parlour tricks.

Most of the others are kind of dumb, although I personally have always spelt it "faerie" so fuck you, I'm not changing my habits on a whim.

"Vampyre" might be an older spelling, but if you really want to use archaic terms for blooddrinking undead, you're as well as just saying moroi or strigoii at that point.

>> No.26326999

>>26326974
Why not opiri if we want to go really old school on that word?

As for faerie, it does make sense considering the images it brings up in modern minds tends to be less Tinkerbell, and more Tam Lin's kidnappers.

Still prefer the "kennings" for them over that.

>> No.26327000

Who uses "wytch" anyway?

>> No.26327014

>>26327000
Edgy teens/manchildren, and companies trying to get that demographic.

>> No.26327055

Daemon =/= Demon

Learn2Sokrates

>> No.26327079

>>26327055
That's wrong, though. Daemon DOES equal demon.

Just because horror movies and amerifat protestants have twisted the word to mean "scary red horned fire-men who want to make you suffer just 'cuz", doesn't mean that's what it actually means.

>> No.26327095

>>26327079
Yes, yes it does. Greeks did not know the word demon. We (sons of Abraham, to make a generalisation) do. Greek daemon have little to do with anything we, today, consider to be demons. Hell, Eros was considered to be a daemon.

>> No.26327102

>>26327095
So yes daemon =/= demon

>> No.26327106

>>26327079
>horror movies and amerifat protestants
I think you mispelled Christianity? Not that there is too much difference between it and the quoted.

>> No.26327120

>>26327079
Do you even square=rectangle, rectangle =/= square?

>> No.26327126

Magick is usually to denote chaos magic from ritual magic

Or denote real magic from las vegas stage shows

>> No.26327128

>>26327102
The word has the same meaning.
The application may differ from culture to culture.

>> No.26327149

>>26327128
No. Demon originates from daemon, but it has a very specific meaning: evil spirit/fallen angel from hell. Daemon is a much broader, inclusive term that can describe a wide variety of enitites.

>> No.26327163

>>26327128
>implying difference between meaning and use

>> No.26327165

>>26327095
>Eros was considered to be a daemon.
And he still is. What's your point?

>> No.26327171

>>26327149
>Demon originates from daemon, but it has a very specific meaning: evil spirit/fallen angel from hell.
You only think that's what it means because that's what you've been taught it means, because you're a claperican.

>> No.26327174

>>26327165
demon =/= daemon

>> No.26327181

>>26327174
But you've failed to demonstrate this.

You said, "Eros was considered a daemon."

Eros was considered a daemon.

Today, Eros is considered a demon.

In what way does daemon differ from demon then?

>> No.26327184

>>26327149
So, it's like >>26327120 said.
Daemon = demon, demon =/= daemon.

>> No.26327185

>>26327171
>claperican
A what.

>> No.26327192

>>26327184
Potentially, yeah. You could argue that a judeo-christian demon does not innately possess the qualities required to be a daemon, I guess, but that is a decent summary.

>> No.26327198

>>26327181
You said "Julius Caeesar was considered to be a God"
Caesar was considered to be a God.

Today, Julius Caesar is considered to be a man.

In what wa does man differ from god then?

Learn2Syllogism

>> No.26327205

>>26327184
I'd say it's more likely the other way around.

>> No.26327209

>>26327192
...I apparently need to drink more coffee. No, it's daemon =/= demon, demon = daemon if we want to get technical. There are positive and neutral daemons that would thus not fall under the umbrella of 'demon' because of inherent negative connotations the latter term possesses.

>> No.26327212

>>26327198
God (deus) and man (homo) don't share etymology.

You might as well be arguing that faeries are somehow different from fairies.

>> No.26327222

>>26327212
Shared etymology does not equate to same meaning.

>> No.26327225

>>26327209
>inherent negative connotations

The word demon is not "inherently negative." There's a whole world out there, the entire world does not watch Nascar and go to Paint Lick Baptist Church.

>> No.26327226

>>26327212
Etymological relation = equated meaning. Goddamnit son.

>> No.26327227

>>26327128
YEs, which is why the greeks (and to a certain extent romans) differentiatied between good and evil daemons, if you want to get technical Michael the Archangel would be, from a non-Abrahamic religion Greek point of view, a daemon, just the same as say Azazel.

>>26327184
basically all squares (demons) are rectangles (daemons), but not all rectangles are squares (using the same as before).

>>26327212
If we want o get into popular conception when those words come up, there's differences that fall on the same thing as the daemon demon shit.

>> No.26327231

>>26327205
>>26327209
Yeah, I guess that's more accurate than what I wanted to say. Sorry.

>> No.26327235

>>26327222
>>26327226
Ninja';d

>> No.26327245

>>26327225
when was the last time you actually heard someone say he's a real demon at playing guitar, and mean he's pretty damn good.

>> No.26327248

>>26327212
In all seriousness eudaimonia is to have a good (eu) daemon. But this is in no way a fucking genie or someshit, fullfilling your every wish. It's simply living a good life under good circumstances.

>> No.26327253

>>26327227
>Michael the Archangel would be, from a non-Abrahamic religion Greek point of view, a daemon, just the same as say Azazel.
Which is funny, since all demons we (religiously) know off are basically angels too.

>> No.26327255

ITT: Llewelyn-reading neopagans try to justify spelling words wrong.

>> No.26327259

>>26327225
Trace it back. The word demon was used to describe Christian fallen angels or evil spirits of the underworld-ish parts. Because it works fairly well, it was used on other culture's supernatural, folkloric and legendary creatures, but sometimes the term did not fit perfectly well. If we look at demon as how the ones who came up with the term, that is Western Christian civilizations, used it, then daemon and demon are not the same.

>> No.26327277

>>26326873
>The sturmgeschutz wytch is going to summon the fyre daemon Rychard-kun! We must call the use the vampyre faerie blade against her!

>> No.26327286

>>26327277
>fyre
Go to sleep, Martin.

>> No.26327300

>>26326443
Isn't magic an uncountable?

A magic spell, a-ok. A magic? No.

>> No.26327309

>>26327253
Technically Michael isn't an "angel" at all. There are several types of heavenly spirit, arranged in a hierarchy. Only the lowest-ranking spirits are called "angels" (which is Greek for "messenger").

>> No.26327323

>>26327286
No.
He should finish Wimds of Winter first.

>> No.26327327

>>26326525
In Sweden, Lindorm is basically a fucking giant tree snake thing. Remniscent of a dragon.

Yeah, the word lives on.

>> No.26327329

>>26327248
I often say they're like the house elves from the cobbler's story folk myth. Good if you do X,Y, and Z, but try to abuse them and they'll make your life a living hell.

>>26327253
Basically, though the words come to us via Greek, basically the best word for what Michael and the ones who didn't join god/chase the daughters of men and beget horrors was messenger.

>>26327277
And by western civilizations you mean the greeks, Romans used the word Genius, and Germanics had various elves. Fuck the Indo-Europeans had a lot of taboo avoidance for these things.

>>26327309
We're talking translation, which came well before the Seraphim topped Hierarchy.

>> No.26327342

daemons are actual deities, yo. not like pussifer demons, only doing what they're told and shit.

>> No.26327349

>>26327323
You know every tyme you say that he kylls a Stark.
Fuck the letter "I" am I right?

>> No.26327368

>>26327349
Yohn Royce an Aenys Targaryan approve.

>> No.26327373

>>26327342
>deities
If by deities you mean shit tier, can only be an annoyance deities when compared with even the fucking maenads.

>> No.26327381

>>26327349
My leal lord, let us have some lemon cakes

>> No.26327383

>>26327329
>thinks Ancient Greeks believed in things like house elves.
>not talking bout plebs.

>> No.26327389

>>26327373
daemon, means, almost literally, the go between between gods and men.

>> No.26327393

>>26327381
VARYLY!
Okay I'm done now, promise.

>> No.26327395

You know what the best weird spelling is?

Nuncle.

It's fun to say.

>> No.26327398

>>26326368
>not crynged

>> No.26327400

>>26327300
I think "magics" is a British thing, kinda like "maths."

>> No.26327405

>>26327383
I said I used it as an equivalency.

>> No.26327419

>>26327405
>analogy =/= equivalence

>> No.26327423

>>26327400
As a Brit, I have only ever seen magic used when referring to more than one type of magic - same as whenever the sciences are referred to, or the humanities.

>> No.26327427

>>26327277
YE VAMPYRE FAERYE BLAYDE

>> No.26327441

>>26327423
>same as whenever the sciences are referred to, or the humanities

Wait aren't you contradicting yourself here? You just said, "the sciences." "The humanities."

>> No.26327484

>>26327400
No its just magic. Maths is maths because its called mathematics and not mathematic.

>> No.26327486

>>26327441
I forgot to pluralize "magics".

Generally, you study magic and you study science, but you study maths.

The sciences refer to ALL fields of science, though - so if someone were to refer to the magics, I'd assume they were referring to all forms of magic.

>> No.26327542

>>26326520
Hey at least French tries to stay pure.
Or tried, because some half-baked semi-"authorities" are actively trying to make it more retarded than ebonic.

>> No.26327550

>>26327542
implying French is not a shit mix of Latin, Celtic and Basque.

>> No.26327553

>>26327542
>germanified latin
>pure
Look at those fags, look at them and laugh.

>> No.26327600

>>26326448
Can't be easy suffering from autism this bad.

>> No.26327605

>>26327550
>>26327553
What I meant is, there's an organisation dedicated to keeping the French language from becoming MORE of a fucktarded mess. At some point in history, they went "okay, enough is enough", fixed the language of the time as "French" and tried to keep it this way.

English doesn't, and it shows. Now, there's unofficial "french" dictionaries that make Urbandictionary.com look conservative.

>> No.26327624

>>26327323
>Wynds of Wyntr

>> No.26327638

>>26327484
Then shouldn't it be math' and math's? To indicate the contraction?

>> No.26327640

>>26327605
>MORE of a fucktard mess
>implying this can be stopped
>implying this should be stopped.
nigger how bad do you people want to kill you language?

>> No.26327661

>>26326318
>daemyn
>wympyr
>vwytche
>faeirye
>maejyickxs
>Shaethyniis
>vwyinne

>> No.26327666

>>26327640
We're trying to save it. People trying to turn their own language into Newspeak isn't acceptable.

Actually, newspeak would be better than some of the shit I hear.

>> No.26327679

>>26327666
>Newspeak
have you evenr ead that book?

>> No.26327701

>>26327638
No because apostrophes arent used for contractions.

>> No.26327720

>>26327701
I don't know what you're talkin' about. Couldn't you elaborate?

>> No.26327726

>>26327638
No, because they're treated as synonyms of one another, rather than one being a contraction of the other.

>> No.26327758

>>26327726
Contractions are also synonyms. What about gov't?

>> No.26327761

wytch doesn't have a leg to stand on

the -ck endings appeared historically, but are still relatively recent, as the c could be either soft ('ch' sound) or hard ('k' sound) depending on the surrounding phonemes ... originally, it was the same letter, but became split even in in old english, when they expanded Cen into Calc

of course, in that context, X and Z were the same letter, too

>> No.26327766

>>26327679
Tried but was too busy being a 15yo dipshit to finish it and forgot to read it since. I did some research on Newspeak itself though and it's fucking hideous. And "Dats what'm I sayin" is hideous too but it's not a work of fiction.

No, the switch from "what I'm" to "what'm I" isn't an accident.

>> No.26327776

>>26327758
Contractions technically aren't words in their own right though, are they?

>> No.26327785

>>26327766
Newspeak was an effort to control English so that it expressed the tennants of IngSoc and only those. Newspeak was an effort to stiffle the natural growth and change of (the English) language. You Frenh people are linguistic fascists.

>> No.26327795

>>26327245
Demon-as-positive isn't all that uncommon. See "speed demon" for professional racers as an example.

>> No.26327796

>>26327776
Simply a missing letter (or more, in modern usage). Possessives were originally contractions (-es in old & sometimes Middle English).

>> No.26327809

>>26327776
Yes, they are words! Of course they are. Why wouldn't they be?

>> No.26327814

>>26327661
>maejyickxs
>not myjix

>> No.26327826

>>26327814
think you meant majik

>> No.26327847

>>26327826
Not kvlt enuf. How about maegycks?

>> No.26327866

>>26327785
Kind of, yes. They're like the dudes who wrote books on English grammar back in the 18th century, decided "English should follow Latin grammatical rules" and introduced their own rules into the mess.

So you're taught that you can't split the infinitive (impossible in Latin) and that gender-neutral is "he" (in spoken language it was "they" before this).

Fuck prescriptive grammar.

Natives already have a pretty good grasp on what works and doesn't - reading and writing helps keep the language stable as it is.

>> No.26327873

>>26326364
I agree. All of those are valid.

>> No.26327892

>>26327785
So trying to stop your language from becoming a garbled mess that's barely recognisable as language is fascism now?

The language still evolves, but at least it's keeping streetspeak as what it is, streetspeak. Do your schools teach "I haz a flavor" as a legitimate sentence? Not mine.

>> No.26327922

>>26327892
Not yet anyways. Give it half a decade. Fear of change much, you conservative twat.

>> No.26327937

>>26327922
half a century more likely

>> No.26327951

>>26327892
>So trying to stop your language from becoming a garbled mess that's barely recognisable as language is fascism now?

Dammit, my allergies!

>> No.26327953

>>26327922
I'm not that guy and I realize there is no point stopping language from evolving and it's fine that way but if you've never cringed at the sound of someone saying "I loled" or "that trolled me" when an inanimate object doesn't do what they want it to you are dead inside.

>> No.26327955

>>26326318
in pathfinder, Daemons and Demons are two different things

>> No.26327958

>>26327922
Not fear of change, since the language DOES change. The Academy keeps in touch with the natural evolution of the language.

Just trying to stop the faggots who would have "bravouritudiness" as an actual word.

>> No.26327961

>>26327937
>>26327922
It's contemporary slang. It's not going to be around in a decade.

The idea is just totally bogus.

>> No.26327964

>color instead of colour
>flavor instead of flavour
>harbor instead of harbour
>honor instead of honour
>humor instead of humour
>labor instead of labour
>neighbor instead of neighbour
>armor instead of armour
>liter instead of litre
>meter instead of metre
>theater instead of theatre
>offense instead of offence
>sizable instead of sizeable
>why do people do this?

>> No.26327981

>>26327964
I read somewhere that American English adopted those rules because it made it easier for immigrants to pick up the language.

>> No.26327984

>>26326476
do you pronounce it "wee-erm?" instead of "worm?" Because that's pretty cool

>> No.26327986

>>26327953
I also cringe when I hear someone utter the words "that is not how you should use that word." Whether I cringe or not has little to do with anything.

>>26327958
>Natural evolution
>Interfere.
Choose one

>> No.26327988

>>26327964
>All dat autism

Why do people do this?

>> No.26328006

>>26327981
The usual explanation I read is that there was an agenda by the US founders to make American a distinct language to separate it from the British.

>> No.26328016

>>26327964
Because the words work just as well without the extra U's?

Besides, if it were up to me I'd change a lot more than that. I'm talking a full completely standardized spelling overhaul.

>> No.26328028

>>26327988
I suspect it was a joke, fellow anon.

If you feel like putting accusations of autism in somewhere when you post, you probably need to revise your post. Just how I feel about it.

>> No.26328031

>>26328016
>l without the extra U's?
Yea i mean, who proncounces "color" "cull-hour" anyway?

>> No.26328032

>>26327212
they do in effect though. faeries are used by people who mean the Fair Folk. fairies are tinkerbell.

>> No.26328034

>>26328016
Would make reading pre-overhaul texts a pain in the ass, man.

>> No.26328046

>>26327605

There are English speaking organisations for this too.

>> No.26328085

>>26327988
>spell a fictional thing differently
>"but that's wrong!"
>spell real world word differently
>"it's autism to complain"

This whole thread is dildoes.

>> No.26328094

>>26327892
Prithee telle me what thy tongue impartes?

>> No.26328103

>>26327986
It's because of people like you that we get the "Diamond dozen" derailments, you anarcho-evilutionist.

>>26328046
Ah? I know most european countries have one, but I thought the UK (and by extension the rest of english-speaking countries) didn't.

>> No.26328122

>>26326420
Yes, to denote that you're using it in the poetic sense of a dragon or great serpent, as opposed to an actual worm.

>> No.26328131

I use Daemon and Vampyre to imply that the demon/vampire is ancient. Is this acceptable?

>> No.26328139

>>26328122
>implying worms and dragons are different

>> No.26328144

>>26328103
>anarcho-evilutionist
>name-calling is a valid rethorical strategy

>> No.26328160

>>26327964
This was my China plate's boat race when 'e 'eard a tristram call apples "stairs", 'ad me a giraffe I did, couldn't believe my bloo'y mincers!

>> No.26328177

>>26328144
Well, I've been called a linguistic fascist and a conservative twat, so why not? Plus, I like the sound of outlandish pseudo-insults.

>> No.26328194

>>26328177
because you have proven yourself to be a linguistic conservative at best.

>> No.26328218

>>26328160
>chavs
>speaking cockney
I don't think you fully gasp how stupid a chav is.

>> No.26328237

>>26328194
Yeah, who I am to stop people from speaking a mix of 1337, ebonic and chatspeak? After all, it's not like language was meant to be understood, right?

>> No.26328260

>>26328139
Well, Khezu is a Winged Wyvern, not an Elder Dragon

>> No.26328271

Because most of those spellings are Olde English and more interesting looking than Standard English?

Why did you make a thread on /tg/ to complain about /lit/ subjects?

>> No.26328279

>>26328271
Because people use these spellings quite often in /tg/ material?

>> No.26328284

>>26328237
>language was meant to be understood

>by whoom?
people.
>dead people that lived 30 years ago?
no, people that are alive.
>but those alive surely don't speak exactly the way those before them did?
golly what a novel thought.
>so what happens to laguage?
it changes with the people and their culture


OMFG it's unbelievable! I would have never seen this if it wasn't for this thread.

>> No.26328295

>this thread

>> No.26328296

>>26328218
>Stupid
you know you dont know wot you is talking bout, yeah?

>> No.26328304

>>26328016
So you want to use the spelling you like, because it works perfectly fine for you, while at the same time disallowing others to use spelling they like, because it works perfectly fine for them?

I'm pretty sure there's a term for a person who only allows things that fit into their comfort zone, and I'm pretty sure in meaning that word is not far from "complete and utter asshole."

>> No.26328313

>>26326407
Or german, where you have the Dämon.
Ae is normally used to imply that letter in english.

>> No.26328322

>>26328006
It wasn't so much the Founders as is was Noah Webster.

>> No.26328346 [SPOILER] 

>>26328313
>The Damon

>> No.26328354

>>26327958
>Bravouritudness
>would already be pronounced bravorituë with the u bein nasalized.
>French is worse than English at transcribing how a word is spoken.

>>26328006
That's the usual explanation by history profs. Most of the English point out that you had two competing EME orthographies going on, England's which had those things, and Murrica's which didn't.

>>26328103
Unlike the acadamie they're about as official as a third party supplement when it comes to the spoken form, and in general are limited to dictionaries with the written, after the whole holy shit you mean this language that has a heavy Germanic base isn't like Latin at all debacle.

>>26328313
it's supposed to be the ash sound, which is oddly where the fucking ligature gets its name.

>> No.26328375

>>26328346
Ahahaha.

>> No.26328382

>>26328354
Ash sound? Ligature?
Could you explain that please?

>> No.26328386

>my character has control over many magicks

>> No.26328392

>>26328386
>My character rules over a many great magicks!
Fixed that for you.

>> No.26328415

>>26328382
the ash sound (it's basically the a in ash.

the ligature is often put as æ or as the digraph ae. Were it not for all the fucking presses coming from Germany it'd be common to spell ash as æsh.


If some folks had their way they'd bring back thorn (þ) and ash (æ) and toss that th and ae shit out the window.

>> No.26328446

>>26328415
Until when was the thorn used?
I thought it was not used in the last century at least.
My first language is german so I was a bit surprised.

>> No.26328453

>>26328346
a ≠ ä

the dots aren't there because they look so nice. seriously everytime i see a band with "metal ö,ä,ü" or something like that i'm somewhere between amused and annoyed.

Fucking Mötörhead.

>> No.26328465

>>26328453
I know, man, I was just making a joke.

>> No.26328495

>>26328446
pretty much up until the Printing Press, but even afterwards it was "used" but replaced with y, since there wasn't usually a thorn letter on old movable block type.

Hell it might be why thou hasn't been used for the second person familiar singular for a long time.


Oh and to the, hurr textspeek folks, you now realize every time you type goodbye you're using 16th century text speech, filtered through even later textspeeck.

>> No.26328525

>>26328160
and here i was thinking i could understand english. i have no idea what you just said.

>> No.26328544

>>26328034
Yes it would, and is the only downside I can see to it. Of course, go back far enough and things get harder and harder to read anyway, so it wouldn't be a unique problem. There'd just be an especially big, localized bump.

>>26328304
To be specific, it doesn't have to be spelling I personally like, just spelling that follows a completely consistent set of rules, which the language I'm writing and you're reading right now clearly does not. Someone else could pick the rules too, as long as they're consistent. In fact, if it were up to me, I probably wouldn't do it myself, since there are people far more knowledgeable in these matters than I. Again, the point is that whatever the rules for how you spell and pronounce letters are, they're totally consistent. Besides, English is already my native default language. Any changes to it would by necessity be out of my comfort zone.

>> No.26328615

>>26328525
I speak english and I have no idea what was said.

Cockney is to English, what Swabian is to German.

>>26328544
>totally consistent
>the a in ash is actually phonetically different than the a in father.
>the e in the er in father is the same sound as the a in sofa.
>Not to mention how one is supposed to pronounce ghoti.

Nah bro, French is only worse than English at orthography because of the 9000 sounds that are kept in writing but are lenitioned into deletion in the spoken language.

>> No.26329003

>>26328544
You mean something like Finnish, where each letter is pronounced exactly the same no matter what the sentence or letters around it? A language that's like just below China and Japanese in difficulty to master?

>> No.26329052

>>26328525
He said his friend pulled that face when a cunt said stairs instead of 'apples and pears'. He could laughed and could not believe his eyes.

>> No.26329058

>>26329052
*remove the first could

>> No.26329076

>>26328495
that's the reason why ye olde shoppe is actually pronounced "the olde shoppe"

>> No.26329145

y's and i's were pretty much interchangable
vampyre, daemon wyrm faerie are all old versions of shit. not sure about the rest
before the printing press and the standardisation of spelling within the english language. people just spell shit however they felt was closest. so most of these are harking back to an older age of spelling.
its like when you get 'ye olde shoppe' it was still pronounced the old shop back in the day. there was an extra letter that looked like a y that made a th sound and the rest is just wierd older spelling.
people do it to try and get an oldy worldy feel to their fantasy setting. try reading chaucer spellings all over the place in that

>> No.26329169

>>26328131
I don't mind.

>> No.26329207

What do people think of 'calling a rabbit a smeerp'?

>> No.26329227

>>26329076
Pretty much. But like godbwye (god be with ye), it slowly changed to ye, and might be why you only find thou in the Bible/holy book translations trying to mimic the KJV.

>>26329207
Better than calling a smeerp a rabbit, you embleer elil.

>> No.26329229

Sorry, I'm not autistic enough to care how someone spells things.

>> No.26329258

>>26329227
You I like.

>> No.26329266

>>26326318
>Daemon
>Wyrm
>Faerie

Everything else on that list shouldn't be used ever.

>> No.26329268

>>26329076
MIND=BLOWN

>> No.26329298

>>26329003
Yeah, there are other languages with nice and tidy spelling rules, it can clearly be done. English or American English or whatever just finally needs to get around to ripping the band-aid off too, it won't hurt for long and then it's smooth, easy-spelling sailing.

>> No.26329316

>>26326950
>faggot
>protege

I do not think these words mean what you think they mean.

>> No.26329332

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but demons and daemons are intrinsically different concepts.

>> No.26329340

>>26329229
>I failed 1st grade.
FTFY.

>> No.26329347

>>26328495
I think thou went out of favor when people began to be more than peons and lords and ladies. I mean, as I remember, it refers to a lower class person. A knight calls a peon "thou" but the peon, when talking to the knight, says "you". Right? I believe it was in Hamlet, where one character, in anger, refers to another as "thou", indicating that their purpose was to demean them.


I find it interesting that Ye Olde King's English might have been closer to American English in pronunciation than what ever they speak there today. So technically, anyone who shuns Hollywood actors playing Shakespeare over some posh British, is in fact doing it wrong.

>> No.26329371

>>26329340
>BAAAWWW HE SPELLS THINGS DIFFERENTLY, WHAT A FUCKING FAGGOT, I CAN'T ENJOY ANYTHING HE CREATES

Yeah, nah, you're a cunt. An autistic one at that. I mean really, people here are annoyed because a DM or something uses a different letter? Seriously?

>> No.26329479

>>26329298
And at the same time alienate anyone from even attempting to learn the language. But hey, as long as some grammar Nazi gets a stiffy.

>> No.26329505

>>26326318
>>daemon
Sounds old, and minorly more distinct.
>>vampyre
Sounds old, and minorly more distinct.
>>wytch
Sounds old, and minorly more distinct.
>>wyrm
Sounds old, and minorly more distinct.
>>faerie
Sounds old, and minorly more distinct.
>>magick
Sounds old, and minorly more distinct.
>>Satanus
I don't think I've ever heard that one, actually.
>>wyne
What, like 'wine'? Alcohol, thought of as a dignified drink? Okay, that's retarded.

>> No.26329513

>>26329371
>I failed first grade, and am extremely defensive of the fact

>> No.26329542

>>26329505
>>>Satanus
>I don't think I've ever heard that one, actually.
That's like "a devil, that's real asshole"

>> No.26329546

>>26329347

That article appears to assume that everyone in England speaks like a particular species of Londoner and is totally unaware of the wide spectrum of English accents out there.

The short vs long vowel a example he gives is a classic way of telling whether someone is from the north or south of England, for instance. Saying "castle" as "CAH-sull" (north) or "CARR-sull" (south), "bath" and "BA-th" or "BAR-th", "grass" as "GRAH-ss" or "GRAR-ss" etc.

>> No.26329555

>>26329513
Nice ad hominem, bro.

>> No.26329662

>>26329555
>I adamantly refuse to acknowledge the fact that I failed first grade

>> No.26329672

>>26329662
Wait, does a pyramid count as a reaction image?

>> No.26329734

>>26329229
>The apocalypse comes
>"If only we had listened to them when they told us how to spell things!"

>> No.26329855

>>26329662
I don't see how I failed the first grade if I can type coherent sentences.

This thread isn't really going anywhere.

>> No.26329928

>>26329672
Why. Why do you think Egypt made so many?

>> No.26329954

>>26329855
Damn it, man- this isn't about going somewhere! Well it is- but it's about YOU going somewhere!
You're crippling yourself with this lack of education, even if you can't see it!

>> No.26330059

>>26329855

>> No.26330119

>gho'lem
>di'jhin
>wraeth

>> No.26330179

>>26330119
You rang?

>> No.26332798

>>26326423
Not really that much of an antique. It was coined by Aleister Crowley to differentiate between stage magic and his 'real' "chaos magick™".

>> No.26334155

>>26329316
>protege
Whoops! Thanks for pointing that out. You're right, I was using it wrong. I meant to say that Hubbard was Crowley's protege.

>faggot
No, that's correct. Crowley is known to have been an MSM, even if he did not consider himself "gay" per se.

>>26332798
You have no clue what you're talking about. Read a fucking book, please, one that ISN'T published by Llewelyn.

>It was coined by Aleister Crowley
Do you have a reading problem? I already said that the word "magick" can be found in publications dating back to the 17th century. Crowley may have popularized its usage in the modern day, but he didn't invent it.

>to differentiate between stage magic and his 'real' magick
Absolutely wrong. He used the antique spelling of "magick" because it fits more nicely into his Qabbalistic numerology system. When you open a book and the first thing you see is hexagram surrounded by Hebrew letters, it's already pretty obvious that the book's subject matter does not involve rabbits and card tricks. The distinction between ritual "magick" and stage "magic" would be completely pointless in this context.

>chaos magick
Aleister Crowley was the leader of his own religion, a "high priest" if you will. His adherents were (and are) expected to study a system and follow it to the letter to advance through the ranks. That's about as far from chaos as it gets. Chaos magicians believe there are no objective truths and that all gods, even phony ones like Cthulhu and Flying Spaghetti Monster, can empower a magician. Chaos magic was actually founded by someone who hated Crowley, who knew magic could be so much more than just another religious cult.

Wow, I realize this post makes me sound like kind of a dick, but I guess 25 hours without sleep will do that to you.

>> No.26334195

What if fantasy races like elves and goblins are actually real, and they think WE'RE a fantasy race, and they call us humyns?

>> No.26334233

>>26334195
lol, and they divide us into subraces like dymocrats and republycans

>> No.26334283

>>26334233
RepubLYCANS

Republican werewolves. This so needs to be a thing.

>> No.26334454

>>26326533
It's due to the nature of the narrative. The writers speak modern english, the readers speak modern english, so even if, in-setting, the fantasy characters speak 'Kalidarish' or whatever the fuck they do, the very nature of translation means that the characters should speak modern english.

Unless of course there's a term that doesn't 'translate', so to speak, but those should be used very very rarely.

>> No.26334844

should we add /lit/ to the list of boards that we have rendered unnecessary.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action