Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

/vt/ is now archived.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 2.97 MB, 480x270, S5_e1_gif_simon_freezing_bomb.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
23658808 No.23658808 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

So, I've recently been helping various people improve upon systems that have been lacking in certain areas, and I realised... I think I'm being expected to GM one of them at some point.

Normally this wouldn't be an issue, except that I personally have a significant lack in any kind of GM skills whatsoever.
I cannot anticipate player actions, I don't usually know what the obvious outcome of an action should be, I literally cannot improvise to save my life, and above all I have absolutely no idea how to react appropriately to most situations.

I long ago came to terms with the fact that I am utterly not meant to GM anything ever, but recently I started to wonder if perhaps some of these skills could be worked on, especially since it is seeming more and more likely that I will be expected to at least attempt to run a session at some point in the future.

Now, I don't expect a simple solution to changing my entire mental skill set (although that would be a godsend if anyone knows of a way), but I will at least ask of you this:

Is there a decent guide of some variety that will teach me how to be a GM?
I have checked, and all I can seem to find are guides on how to improve on one's shoddy yet already existing skills.
I wish for something more basic, a "GMing for Dummies", if you will. Starting from scratch, as though I had no understanding of the concept whatsoever.

I don't have to become great at it, I just wish to be passable enough to be able to test out new or edited systems so that I may be of more use to those I assist.

Thank you all for your time.

(Pic Unrelated)

>> No.23659331

A lot of new GMs try to plot out an epic storyline, then get frustrated when their players just want to dink around in a bar or go get into a fight with your favorite NPCs. As long as the PCs are having fun, you're doing a good job.

>> No.23659668

>>23659331
Also: Don't plan out a bigass epic storyline.

Here's the GMing for Dummies: Learn to improvise.

Read about it online. Take an acting class at a community college. Practice it on your loved ones by creating scenarios and talking to them about it ("What would you do if somebody bust through the door with a gun? What if they were running from somebody? What if the gun was a plastic toy some kid left on the ground and they're only holding it because they're desperate?") and you determine how much the other person is enjoying this mental idea.

If they're not enjoying it, you're either being boring (too conflict-free) or you're being a dick (too much conflict out of nowhere). Escalation and reasonability are the key. It doesn't need to be realistic as long as it feels "right" and escalates naturally.

So, there you go. That's nearly everything you need to be a GM.

>> No.23659733

Pick up a GURPS splatbook.

Not the core book - a splat book, preferably one for a genre you intend to run. Skip the new rules section, though you should read all the sidebars. Then read the rest of the book.

GURPS splatbooks are 15-20% rules, and 80-85% "how you run this genre and style, and how to mix and match genres and styles to your personal taste". Reading even one GURPS splatbook will teach you more about running games than any number of GM self help books ever could, including "Gamemastery Guides" printed by well established RPG.

People may hate on GURPS rules systems, but there are very few who can hate the amount of good info in their splat books.

>> No.23659895
File: 1.98 MB, 450x297, Baseball wizard.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>23658808
Use the links, maybe read everything.
>>23658445

It's really schizophrenic.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action