Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
[ERROR] No.22284573 [DELETED]  [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

I am convinced that anime has ruined the fantasy genre.

When was the last time you actually played an RPG that was about exploration and not your shitty, overpowered characters. When was the last time you actually stumbled across a dangerous enemy by accident, not an encounter your DM hand crafted to be winnable so he could progress his shitty story. When was the last time you ever found a treasure horde and actually pissed yourself with joy because it wasn't assumed to be the reward for defeating the enemy?

And don't give me that "but real fantasy is boring!" because I know you're full of shit. You've never even played real fantasy, just your shitty superhero games about ego masturbation and wish fulfillment.

>> No.22284602

>>22284573
You seem mad.
Your entire statement is bullshit and assumes that everyone has the same experience you have.
You are probably a troll.
Enjoy your sage.

>> No.22284611

2 weeks ago. We'll get together again next week.

>> No.22284616

seconding you being mad

>> No.22284622

>>22284573
I would say split, but not ruined. I still see plenty of people doing the sort of better fantasy you are talking about, and tend to prefer it. I think there's a lot of trends that are running roughshod over the oldschool, but its still there.

>> No.22284645

You are both angry and bad at expressing yourself.

>> No.22284647

>Stop liking what I don't like!
also
>The Hobbit
>used to be
doesnotcompute

either get in the driver's seat or get off the train, but the way you just shat all over the carriages says to me that the former won't be popular.

>> No.22284674

>Implying that animu and fantasy havent been togeather for a long ass time.
>Implying animu is a recent thing
>Implying the only true fantasy of today is GRIMDURP

>> No.22284687

Where in the Hobbit does Bilbo die ignominiously for no reason?

>> No.22284713

Cool story OP

>> No.22284716

>anime
>bad influence on fantasy
Slayers, Lodoss, Louie, your argument is invalid

>> No.22284721

>When was..
Pathfinder, Call o ctulhu, d20 microlite,
>When was...
Pathfinder, Call o ctulhu, d20 microlite
>When was..
ok, got me there.

>> No.22284749

>>22284573
Sorry you have a bad group OP but mfw your whole post.

>> No.22284762

>>22284721
Though there are other systems, Five star post.

>> No.22284764

>When was the last time you actually played an RPG that was about exploration and not your shitty, overpowered characters.

Wait why do these two things need to be separate? Can't characters be ON an adventure? Why do we need to have non-entities just looking at pretty backgrounds?

>When was the last time you actually stumbled across a dangerous enemy by accident, not an encounter your DM hand crafted to be winnable so he could progress his shitty story.

I dunno. It seems like an equally dick move to encounter 30 Iron Golems and a Tarrasque just cause the dice said they'd be there... not to say you can't just run from a fight a lot of the time, or that all encounters need to be winnable just by straight up fighting buuut...

Wait your "what fantasy used to be" example is horrible in this context! When did the dwarves win WITHOUT just using brute muscle? I mean sure the trolls maybe, but that's only cause they pulled a dick move and threatened Bilbo's life.

And you're seriously going to pretend like Gandalf ISN'T the DM's shitty GMPC who acts as a fucking safety net?

>When was the last time you ever found a treasure horde and actually pissed yourself with joy because it wasn't assumed to be the reward for defeating the enemy?

I don't really see how this is anime's doing... MAYBE JRPG's doing? But then, WRPG's also sorts borrowed this design so...

>> No.22284879

>>22284573
>shit-use count: 4
I can feel where your basic sentiment is coming from, but the way you've expressed it sounds utterly trollish.

Yeah, I'll admit that sometimes I cringe whenever I see the day's new JRPG hero with his leather belt BDSM-armor, increased feminine features, and wide-eyed notion of "Justice for the Judge God!" but that's just a staple of the Orient's ideal of the fantasy genre. If you don't like it, ignore it and move onto something you DO like.

>>22284716
I believe he's referring to things like Queen's Blade, Legend of Maian, Id: The Greatest Fusion Fantasy, and IPs of the ilk that features demonic succubi as cute little girls, dragons as cute little girls, and manly heroes as cute little girls. Not that there's anything WRONG with that, but... OP's post is entirely mileage-variant.

Polite sage.

>> No.22284893

>>22284573
Trolling or no, I actually agree with the sentiment for your post.

I only disagree with anime having anything to do with it and blame D&D instead.

>> No.22284965

>>22284573
>>I am convinced that anime has ruined the fantasy genre.

YES ANIMU IS THE SOURCE OF ALL THAT IS EVIL!!! LET US HATE IT TOGETHER!! GOOO!!!

HURRRRF DURRRRRF!!!

>> No.22284979

>blaming anime

Come back when your argument can actually hold a drop of water.

>> No.22285039

>>22284879
If he's that retarded that he thinks Queen's Blade (and its ilk) = all of anime why doesn't he equate Sword of Truth with all of fantasy?

>> No.22285114

>>22284573
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrQCkO3YFD4
video used to loop, I'm kind of sad.

>> No.22285135

>>22284573

There is good and bad western and eastern fantasy design OP

>> No.22285152

Meanwhile, manga has far better high fantasy and sword and sorcery stuff than anything in western comics, apart from maybe a pair of European ones.

>> No.22285190

1st Edition Dungeons and Dragons. That is all, good day to those who would flame and do not know.

>> No.22285198

>>22284573

OP have you even read the manga in your picture?

That shit is adorable

>> No.22285219

Fantasy was "ruined" by the 1980s. When did anime become semi-mainstream and gain wide popularity in the US? The 1990s.

We did this to ourselves.

>> No.22285304

Play some Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup and stop hyperventilating 80sfag. Everything is fine, the world has just moved on from save or die traps to actual narrative structure in games.

>> No.22285318

>>22285114
tfw there will never be a prequel to Space Marine titled: WARBOSS

>> No.22285328

OP is simply mad that he'll never be this guy.

>> No.22285409

>>22284573
The issue is casual games and bullied/molested/etc. teens growing up with these things and using them as outlet for their power fantasies.

I miss the times when games didn't allow me to respawn infinitely and kill all enemies with a single button. Fuck all AC games past the first one. And fuck the first one slightly for being so unpolished.

>> No.22285437

>I hate anime
>I dislike the anime style
>Get this anime shit out of /tg/, or I'll fucking cut you

Often, when a person says they hate anime, they're making a pretty broad and often erroneous statement. Sometimes, it's merely a rather redundant statement in the sense of "I hate [something I don't like, and I just happened to see in an anime]."

>> No.22285456

>>22285039
Don't ask me, I'm not OP. Just a passerby trying to make sense of this thread.

>> No.22285477

Some mad as fuck anime fans ITT.

>> No.22285633

>>22285477
I think the OP is more angry than anyone else in this thread.

Anime hasn't done a thing to fantasy that jerkbags who play stupid video games didn't do first.

>> No.22285778

>>22285135
Luka?

I almost didn't recognize you without a monstergirl riding you and asking how ASHAMED you are.

>> No.22285824

>>22284573
...

Last Tuesday.

>> No.22285845

>>22285318
I had an idea like that. More specifically it was for a 40k vidya called Skarboyz, about a group of Blood Axe mercenaries who get involved in a war between some outlying human colonies and either chaos or nids, maybe both. Then later an Inquisitor turns up with some troops and freaks out about the colonies hiring orks. So every side is gunning for them.

It would be retarded fun and explosions all the way.

>> No.22285935

>>22284573

analpained grimderp chucklefuck detected

>> No.22286000

>>22285152

>Manga Fantasy better
>Better than Conan, Slaine, The Forests of Opal and the Red Sonja

Fuck yourself with a Chainsaw.

>> No.22286012

>>22284573
am i the only one that now wants to run a campaign in the lotte no omocha world?
or play an ad eva campaign in hanamaru kindergarten style

>> No.22286024

>>22286000
Berserk.

>> No.22286058

>>22286024
Conan the Barbarian.

>> No.22286096

So you're an advocate for random encounter and loot tables?

All of the things you listed don't have to exist in a binary state, by the way. You can have varying degrees of randomly determined enemies and loot. It's up to the DM's discretion, and then it's up to the players' discretion whether they want to play in a campaign of that style.

I'm not entirely sure what OP is so bitter over, but it's probably not directly related to what s/he's posting about.

>> No.22286098

>>22286024

That over-wrought, poorly written pile of monster-rape masturbation fantasies?

Fuck that shit.

TROLLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY.

>> No.22286102

>>22285845
I just want a Stormboy game by Platinum. Imagine an orky Vanquish. Just imagine it.

>> No.22286113

>>22286098
This argument is retarded and I'm not taking any sides, but I don't think you should be shit talking Berserk.

>> No.22286124

too roight OP, real men play with bible-thick rulebooks and roll the weakest backwater peasant (of human or dwarven variety, since they are "the normal ones" or "the ones that are always the same", everyone else is a snowflake sue for fags and hippies!!) , give them historically accurate armor, and get them killed on the first stab just to show that this ain't a game to fuck around this.

Now THAT'S a game for real men! Gosh jolly I luuuurve puttin' people into strawmen camps, it makes mah arguments so much easier, allowin' me to channel my creativity into insults, implications and comebacks!

I LOVE being a disney villain! xD

>> No.22286151

Why are people responding to this obvious troll thread?

>> No.22286167

I am convinced people who like bad anime have ruined the Fantasy Genre.

I am also convinced people who like bad romance stories have ruined the vampire genre.


I still however adamantly hold onto the believe that even today we are capable of producing gems within the sea of filth.

>> No.22286182

>>22286151
As long as I've been on /tg/ (on and off for years now), people have tried to turn troll post threads into legitimate discussion.

>> No.22286186

>>22286151
we have nothing else to do

>> No.22286204

>>22286151
We like to be fed by trolls.

>> No.22286217

>>22284573
> Real fantasy

>> No.22286237

>>22286167
>miyazaki
>something i haven't seen before
fucking thank you

>> No.22286244

>>22284573
>overpowered characters are animu

You are adorable.

>> No.22286250

>>22285477
I don't think anyone who likes the stuff OP hates has gotten the least bit mad so far.

>> No.22286265

>>22286058
Bastard!!!

>> No.22286297

>>22286265

>> No.22286309

>>22286000
>invoked slaine

everyone is now wrong except this guy

>> No.22286317

My GM is so hardcore, all of his combat encounters are designed to be impossible to beat. No one ever lasts longer than two rounds. We go through 20-30 characters per session.

>> No.22286349

>>22286317
Reminds me of the good old times with Jet Force Gemini, where I died dozens of times until I beat the bosses.
Afterwards, I could beat them in my sleep.
That was an awesome feeling of accomplishment.

>> No.22286356

>>22286250
I think he's mostly pissed off at the moe garbage and the borderline hentai and the Dragon Ball Z style escalation of power. Probably the death of Swords and Sorcery as a low fantasy genre as well.

>> No.22286364

>>22286317
Are you constantly facing Neutronium Golems?

If so... have a brofist
If not... WHY AREN'T YOU?

>> No.22286366

>>22286237

It's called the Journey of Shuna and it's the First Manga Miyazaki ever made.

It's pretty good and it's obvious he took a lot of his inspiration for his other work's from it.

>> No.22286382

>>22286297
Yep, you are so defeated by the strictly better anime fantasy than your old and busted schlock that you have to rely on religion and violence. you are so fucking buttfrustrated.

Also, Lodoss Senki.

>> No.22286395

>>22286000
Claymore

>> No.22286407

>>22286349
>JFG
MAH GODDAMN NIGGA
Bro-op'd the FUCK out of that game. I was always Floyd.

>> No.22286410

>>22286382
>>22286395
Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser.

Now what?

>> No.22286425

ITT: A heartwarming tale of /tg/ discovering the true meaning of Sturgeon's Law.

>> No.22286426

>>22286410
Elric.

>> No.22286434

>>22286000
>Forests of Opal
>good

Look, that series has no feels. If it were really good, it would be full of FEELS and WHAT THE FUCK AM I READING rather than all that inoffensive humor and humorous mass murder.

>> No.22286439

I ENJOY EATING CEREAL! WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE CEREAL, /tg/?

>> No.22286451

>>22286317
>Designed

The thing is, old school adventures were not designed. They followed a similar formula to what modern RPG formulas follow in that Level of a dungeon had monsters roughly of x strength and number and the deeper you go, the more dangerous the enemy.

The difference is that you did not design the encounters to be beaten. If the PCs wander into dangour territories or monster domains, they'd risk running into the super strong monster, only a high level part could risk beating.

Whether they were level one or fifteen they'd encounter the same red dragon that preys on a mountain pass, where in 3rd and 4th editions, the DM usually places a weaker dragon that the party can beat instead.

It's actually like playing an MMO.

Sure, you can go into those high level territories and maybe even pass safely most of the time though them, but everything in there will probably kill you if you try and fight them.

>> No.22286466

>>22286439
Anime.

>> No.22286475

>>22286000

>Red Sonja
>good

>> No.22286480

>>22286439
i just discovered it despite almost being 23 years old, but count chocula. it's chocolate and marshmellows, that shit is delicious

>> No.22286486

>>22286439
I REALLY ENJOY A BOWL OF REESE'S PUFFS WITH MILK. ALL OTHER CEREALS ARE SHIT-TIER.

>> No.22286492

>>22286407
My little brother was Floyd.
It was fuckawesome.

...Then again, the level design was actually one of the most retarded things ever. I only finished the game because I already had a few guides when I got it.

>> No.22286494

>>22286451

Sorry, did you just try and tell us that 3rd and 4th ed D&D are NOT ENOUGH like an MMO?

Sir, you are my hero.

>> No.22286497

>>22286000
Red Sonya and Forests are basically on the same level as Queen's blade.

>> No.22286501

>>22286439
CEREAL IS FUCKING BLAND YOU FAGGOT

THE ONLY GOOD CEREALS AREN'T EVEN GOOD FOR CEREAL, IT'S JUST THE MARSHMALLOWS THAT'RE HALFWAY DECENT

EAT WAFFLES INSTEAD, PLEB

>> No.22286502

I feel like everyone in this thread ought to read this article.
http://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/78/grand-experiments-west-marches/

>> No.22286533

>>22286494
Yes. The whole MMO argument is bunk since AD&D has more in common with WoW than 4e ever will, besides the dubious parallel that can be drawn between the action bar and power cards.

>> No.22286535

Awe, but what about Lo5R? HA check and mate.

>> No.22286536

>>22286426
Elric is great, but in the end it's a novel.

In terms of visualisation, Moorecock's favourite rendition was Yoshitaka Amano's version of Elric.

>> No.22286537

>>22286492
>My little brother was Floyd.
I was the little brother. It has always been our duty to be the Floyd, the Luigi, and the Diddy Kong, and it's a duty I am proud to serve.

I actually liked a lot of the level design, but I'll be damned if it wasn't next to impossible to figure out without guides. Dem fucking tribals, man.

>> No.22286549

>>22286000

>Red Sonja
>Quality
>Confirmed rape fetishes

>> No.22286550

>>22286410
Nope, still not better than Lodoss Senki

>> No.22286557

>>22286451

So basically it's not a good game unless you're in a situation you can't possibly win, because the GM just throws down a monster you have to avoid rather than fight, but gives no clear indication that this is the intended strategy. Great.

Lemme put it like this dicksleeve.

An encounter SHOULD be winnable. It need not be winnable in the most conventional manner, but there SHOULD be the possibility of winning. I'm not saying all encounters should be winnable by the party running up and swinging swords, but it should be winnable by some method, whether that involves dropping a rock on it or something else.

And don't give me this bullshit about 3e and 4e not supporting that style of play because fuck you they do and it tends to be a pretty optimal strategy (especially in 4e).

>> No.22286563

>>22286497
even as a weeaboo faggot i'd have to say they're a bit higher than Kuinzu Bureedo.

>> No.22286572

>>22284573
But I want play a game about cute adventurers doing cute things.

>> No.22286580

>>22284573
>Expansive world exploration
>Random encounters
>Chest loot

I don't know, man, it sounds like you really want to play a JRPG. Maybe something from the FF 4 to 6 era.

>> No.22286589

>>22286572
then go read LoTR

>> No.22286593

>>22286572

>> No.22286595

>>22286439
I like this weird musli knockoff. It's got cranberries in it.

Cranberries.

It be crunchy'n'delicious like you never believe.

>> No.22286607

>What fantasy used to be like
>#1 MOVIE IN THE WORLD RIGHT THIS VERY INSTANT

>What anime did to it
>some shit no one's ever heard of

Yeah, nah, you're a cunt.

>> No.22286609

>>22286557
Uh.. Thanks for not listening to a single thing I said, pretending I said something else and twisting it even farther to make me a strawman and making your own, which is not entirely incompatible with what I said in the first place.

>> No.22286616

>>22285409
>casual games
*hides post*

>> No.22286648

>>22286609

I read what you said. You just threw out MMO like the buzzword it really fucking is and then talked about how "Design" is apparently antithesis to fun.

What else was I suppose to say but basically calling you a moron? Cause you are.

>> No.22286652

>>22286616
Piss off.
You know full well that this faggotry started with developers who jumped on the development bandwaggon despite knowing fuck-all about games.
Not that old games were good, but modern games suffer from insane amount of retardation in terms of design. You know why regenerating health and cover and checkpoints are so popular? Because it makes level design easier.

>> No.22286653

>>22286557
Whoa! Calm down, you're way too butthurt! He never said you couldn't outsmart an encounter, dipshit. He just said that fighting beyond your capabilities would get you killed.

Stop crying every time there's an unfair fight and grow up.

>> No.22286654

>this thread

>> No.22286656

>>22284573
don't worry, we don't need Japan to ruin fantasy anymore.

>> No.22286666

>>22286439
Ricicles.

>> No.22286691

>>22286653

>He just said that fighting beyond your capabilities would get you killed.

I'm sorry, is this suppose to apply to a particular game or something? Like what's the argument even about?

Cause that shit is very much apart of 4e if you know it well. Fuck that's what healing surges are suppose to be. They're a measure of how long your character can keep going in battle.

>> No.22286698

>>22286656
You know... The author of that webcomic seems to be more retarded than Stephanie Meyer.
I guess it's supposed to be "ironic", but it's simply unreadable.

>> No.22286720

>>22286000
>red sonja
>good
>forests of opal

I'll give you forests of opal because the bard is a fucking badass, and the world is fantastic enough to make me go "oh, that's neat". But the writing is pretty shit, and all the characters who aren't the bard are flat as fuck.

Seriously. Have you fucking READ the paladin's lines?
>"Humor? I wasn't trained in that at the military..." she says, while calmly walking away like a badass from the rest of the party

Besides, have you watched Record of Lodoss War? That shit is pretty good.

>> No.22286728

>>22286648
I was saying the distribution of enemies is what makes old school like an MMO, because you know, WoW, Everquest and Ultima were based off of AD&D.

You see, you've got Hill Giant territories in your world, A Dragons's Roost with an Ancient Red Dragon somewhere, a heavily infested Goblin kingdom, Probably some really scary shit deep down in the underdark...

And if you go to these places, whether or not you're ready to fight them, those enemies are going to be there. And I don't beleive they should be scaled to cater to a party either.

And there always won't be some sort of tactical advantage that let's a party instantly win an encounter either. Some times, the players who get in over their head just have to run.

Real life is unfair sometimes, so is old school D&D.

>> No.22286734

>>22286652
Crank it up to the hardest setting before you bitch about difficulty.

>> No.22286739

>>22284716
>Louie?

Shit, I'd play this in a high fantasy setting.

>> No.22286767

>>22286098
>TROLLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY.

So which way do they work?

Do they turn to stone at the break of dawn? Do they regenerate every wound they heal until burned with a flame or acid?

>> No.22286773

>>22286734
Yeah, because instakilling bullet sponges make the campy gameplay soooooooo much more dynamic.
That's exactly the issue. Fucking hitscan weaponry and small rooms in FPS.

>> No.22286793

>>22286098
>There is one "way" that a fantasy race with basis in multiple cultures "workers".

Oh wow.

>> No.22286795

>When was the last time you actually played an RPG that was about exploration and not your shitty, overpowered characters

Two hours ago. Its an extremely hard game, players die all the time and they enjoy it because it makes success and victory all the sweeter, not something thats dispensed just for showing up at the table.

They asked me to DM like this. Find better players OP.

>> No.22286796

>>22286691
All he was saying is that stronger enemies lie farther from safety. You know, just like a god damn MMO?

>> No.22286800

>>22286589

I am either going to stab someone in the gut, or teaching anatomy lessons.

>> No.22286802

>>22286698
Having been tangentially exposed to Twilight's plot, I can say that is an accurate synopsis of everything that goes down.

Bella's retarded baby is psychic and forms a "love bond" with the werewolf who is actually not a werewolf. Yes, he gets the sloppiest of seconds.

>> No.22286812

>>22286773
Implying that bullet sponges are new, are you?

>> No.22286836

>>22284573
Fuck you, Astarotte no Omocha is great and you should feel bad for not having the same opinion.

>> No.22286845

>>22286501
WAFFLES?! BITCH ARE YOU A FUCKING CHILD?!

REAL FUCKING MEAN EAT FUCKING QUICHES! EVERY GOD-DAMNED MORNING I PUT IN THE TIME AND EFFORT TO MAKE MYSELF A FUCKING AMAZING QUICHE, UNLIKE YOUR BITCH ASS THAT'S CONTENT WITH FUCKING WAFFLES!

>> No.22286847

>>22286802
I know that.
I read all of the books.

I mean the "I'm so funny because I make a synopsis in broken English!" aspect.
Then again, the hatred for Twilight is insanely overblown.

>>22286812
As I said: Old games weren't better. But we had a point where games actually gained traction. Then casuals happened.

>> No.22286850

>>22286836
Too bad I'm not a pedophile.

>> No.22286877

>>22286802

I refuse to believe something that abominable can exist but I have read my share of romantic literature out of morbid curiosity.

What the fuck women see in those? Why? How? How is that less a unhealthy wish fulfillment than pretending you`re a wizard/soldier/adventurer killing dragons fpr gold?

>> No.22286878

>>22286720
Ys (Spelled Ys) is another good fantasy series. It's the predecessr of Lodoss War, and is quite solid. It feels like your first AD&D campaign. I recommend it.

>> No.22286886

>>22286850
then why are you on 4chan?

>> No.22286897

>>22286878
Slayers feels like my first D&D campaign

>> No.22286901

>>22284716
Slayers

Slayers is literally "old school WRPG, the anime".

Literally. Every fucking scene in Slayers can be turned into one of those old "Player Characters" or "PC Plans" demotivational posters.

>> No.22286902

>>22286877
It's porn for women.
Have you never fantasized about tentacle monsters and the like? Or becoming the little girl?

I heard Fifty Shades of Grey was full-on porn and nothing else. A female friend of mine really fucking hates it and is really confused whenever she sees someone do an actual review on the book.
Imagine someone reviewing porn seriously.

>> No.22286906

>>22286886
he could be a weaboo.

>> No.22286907

>>22286878
Two of the Ys games are on steam pretty cheap as well. It's a solid hack and slash. The early games however were UTTER SHIT so it's a miracle it lasted this long.

>> No.22286913

So what are the essential fantasy anime? Lodoss, Slayers, Berserk, Bastard!!!, and what else?

>> No.22286921

>>22286902
It is, and it's terrible. It's just porn for women, that's it.

>> No.22286933

>>22286913
those who hunt elves

>> No.22286936

>>22286913
Isn't Berserk a yaoi? Or am I thinking of another show.

>> No.22286948

>>22286936
Berserk has some very strong homo overtones, but is not actually yaoi.

>> No.22286959

>>22286877
shit, it's like im in high school again with everybody hating on twilight

jesus, we get it. we've gotten it for the last like 3 years

fuck

>> No.22286960

>>22286921
The fact that this is socially acceptable but porn isn't tells quite a lot about humanity.

>> No.22286962

>>22286878
>Ys

You mean "the sole reason the Turbo-Grafx CD existed".

>> No.22286966

>>22286906
impossible. he said he's NOT a pedophile

>>22286913
I also rather like Louie the Rune Soldier, Sorcerer Hunters and Tower of Druaga,

>> No.22286970

>>22286933
Mah Nigga.

>> No.22286972

>>22286921
socially acceptable porn for women. they can read it on the bus with no one batting an eye, but when i want to watch backdoor sluts 9 with my headphones suddenly i have to put my laptop away

though in all seriousness i think there was a supreme court ruling that said you can watch porn on a public library computer

>> No.22286976

>>22286913

If you're talking ESSENTIAL, I'd probably pare the list down to just Lodoss and Slayers.

But given the extension to non-essential anime too, I'd probably suggest Rune Soldier Louie? 'S pretty good.

>> No.22286979

>>22286877
Stupid aliterate people hear of it through the Hype Machine (created when J.K. Rowling made Harry Potter a household name and put fantasy publishing on the map as a legit economic niche for publishers), and they start chasing after it because it's what all their friends are talking about.

Most people who are reading it have never gravitated towards reading before. It's their first foray into recreational reading.

It also plays up the romantic fantasy of meeting Mister Right, and does so with a supernatural whitewash. In short, you get your typical schlock romance novel structure with the extra mystique of vampires.

TL;DR - people who rarely rad hear about it and jump on the bandwagon, and find there's something enjoyable amidt the shit (which they can't tell is shit, because they've never learned of better stuff)

>> No.22286983

>>22286936
it's got some implications but you can never go wrong with a bit of homolust

no homo

>> No.22286987

>>22286847
>We have established that this is the plot
>Hatred overblown

No, it may get boring to keep hearing how much Twilight sucks... but when you step back and look at it... Twilight really, really sucks. Simple as that.

>> No.22286993

>>22286847
Wait
So let me get this right.
Your argument is
Old Games Sucked
New Games Suck
Only Games that existed in this X-year period where any good.
And what are the chances this X-year period being your childhood and you're just an asshole with his nostalgia goggles on so tight it's stopping blood from reaching your brain?

>> No.22286997

>>22284573

No. Sadly we're just two subcultures who are playing with childish things as a hobby.

Sadly the anime people actually believe they are superior... And so do we westerners.

The truth is that Anime is shit, and so are we. Just two different piles of shit.

>> No.22286999

>>22286979
>Stupid aliterate people
>aliterate

Could you have shot yourself in the foot any worse?

>> No.22287002

>>22286948
there is more hetero sex on panel than gay.

>> No.22287009

>>22284573
Anime may contribute, but that's not all. It's just that generally easier things are more successful for the broader audience. Guides on how to be a good DM will tend towards making the players satisfied instead of making the game more intense. You are a niche audience. Find others in your audience niche and play with them.

>> No.22287010

>>22286976
I've heard good things about Scrapped Princess as well, but I've not seen it (so I can't judge).

I recently found someone came up with a list of /tg/ approved anime. What do you all think?

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Approved_anime

>> No.22287018

>>22286897
Slayers is like every D&D campaign. If you play the game and it has a different feel to slayers, you're really not playing D&D and might as well jump system.

>> No.22287021 [DELETED] 

>>22286976
Isn`t Louie a Lodoss spinioffÉ

>> No.22287027

>>22284573
You know which is the real reason behind this debacle?
Players being uncultured swines who read the flavor of the season novel like Game of Turds by "Mr Creosote" Martin.
Basically bad role playing gamers can be spotted miles away, is that guy who grow up during his teenagehood watching anime because "because is for mature people like me". Then during his young adult years basically had contact with sword and sorcery trough MMOs and movies, reading just the "baby first..." category of recommend tittles concerning the genre (tell them about Lord Dunsany and their fucking brains explode).
And the most hilarious thing is when you point how uncultured they are concerning history, literature, philosophy, anthropology, psychology ... they then start to get defensive and say "that is bullshit, I am majoring in maths/physics [insert here any other branch of hard sciences] and I don't need to learn bullshit which is not scientifically nor belongs to our times".

>> No.22287030

>>22287002
Yes, but the overall story is about Guts and Griffith, and their relationship is very...borderline. There's a lot of interpretations depending on how closely you look at things.

>> No.22287034

>>22286979
>Mister Right
...All people in that story are evil. ALL of them.
It is enjoyable to see them abuse each other emotionally, though.

>> No.22287039

>>22286997
We're the same pile of shit, one just comes out of a chihuahua and the other a shihtzu.

>> No.22287045

>>22286966
Isn't Louie a spinoff of Lodoss?

>> No.22287048

>>22287010

Ah. Scrapped Princess is good, yah. Man. Haven't thought about that anime for YEARS.

>> No.22287049

I am convinced OP is a moron who can't actually figure out the difference between anime, fantasy, and books.

>> No.22287054

>>22286987
I have seen worse.
Twilight at least has some nice ideas buried inside.

Then again, I can love something simply based on potential. I enjoyed Space Siege because it could have been so much better. It's also why I enjoy E.Y.E or Deus Ex: HR.

>> No.22287085

>>22286993
Actually, my argument is that most old games sucked and most new games suck and in between there was a period where the percentage of sucky games was less.
And no, it's unrelated to my childhood. Otherwise I'd hype N64 games.
The best times were during the Gamecube time, though there's some overlap with the generation that came before. It all went down with Wii's release.

>> No.22287088

>>22287054
Could you elaborate on these 'nice ideas' please? Would that be abuse=love, pedophilia is acceptable because it's fate, older men should have harems, and people who obey the dictates of their masters gain special powers because they're good boys and girls?

>> No.22287103

>>22287039

>Same pile of shit
>Two different asses

Are we going back and forth... Forever?

))<>((

>> No.22287115

>anime
>remotely relevant to the fantasy genre at large
my sides contort with raucous laughter

>> No.22287123

>>22287103
until our shit condenses into diamond

>> No.22287131

>>22287088
What are on about dude? Not to defend them, but you obviously haven't read the books if you're spouting shit like that.

>> No.22287140

>>22287027
>Implying fantasy RPGs havent always been rooted in shitty pulp
>Implying there's anything wrong with that
>Implying today's shitty pop fantasy is any worse than it used to be
>Implying most people who read shitty pop fantasy don't also read older and more obscure titles but talk about them less because they are less trendy to talk about

>replying

>Implying I'm in any way denying that people introduced to fantasy through MMOs and movies have their feet on backwards
>Implying I don't think a well-rounded gentleman gamer knowledgable in a variety of subjects will make better games

>> No.22287175

>>22287088
No, vampires that are basically zombies on steroids, with each one having a weird-ass power that causes one of the uber-vampires to hunt them down to add them to his collection.
Or magic Native American werewolves that only gain their powers when their home is threatened by other supernatural forces.

And the main relationship... Bella is a despicable person, but her total disregard of personal safety and literally psychopathic behaviour makes it kind of hilarious. She always tries to jump Edward's dick, despite him noting more than once that he might crush her pelvis by accident (Note the insane lack of self-control in Twilight vampires).
Then again, he's absolutely obsessive about her. And then there's Jacob...

Oh and the depiction of depressions in the second book was one of the most realistic I've ever seen in literature. It was kind of nice to just use blank pages.
No, I'm not being sarcastic.

>> No.22287183

>>22286999
Aliterate means "is capable of reading, but chooses not to".

I was rereading Snow Crash, and came across the word. It's an accurate description of the new reader fanbase for stuff like Twilight - they are largely capable of reaidng books, but choose not to. They only leap to Twilight because the marketing machine tells 'em to.

>>22287034
Oh, I agree. The entire cast of Twilight are varying degrees of stupid or loathesome. But Meyer dresses that shit up as perfect and huggy and idealized, and folks who lack a well-exercised critical thinking faculty eat that shit up.

>>22287054
I agree. I dislike the Twilight franchise, and utterly LOATHE the vapidness which you can find in it's fanbase, but it has some interesting seeds of a plot. The idea of vampire societies with their own politics and rules and shit has been done better elsewhere, but everyone has to start somewhere. If it were a tolerable series, I'd say it'd be a great thing: if people are interested in Vampires and shit, there's more folks like us with interests in common. (I utterly LOVED debating Buffy's worldbuilding back in Highschool with the goths and Vampire the masquerade folks).

Alas, instead of being a cheesy tie-in towards getting folks to try World of Darkness, Twilight is a bored Mormon housewife's sexual fantasy, puked out of publishing houses towards an unsuspecting public.

>> No.22287206

>>22287175

>Magic Native American Werewolves
>Laughingshamans, frowningskinwalkers

You think Twilight created this idea?

>> No.22287222

>>22287206
>that only gain their powers when their home is threatened by other supernatural forces.
You should probably read the whole sentence before attacking it.

>> No.22287232

>>22287183
>But Meyer dresses that shit up as perfect and huggy and idealized
But isn't everything seen from Bella's perspective?
I'm not saying that Meyer is a good writer, but you can easily read it as seeing everything through the lens of one of these stupid bimbos that you occasionally see.
Not that the people reading it would understand that.

>>22287206
It doesn't invalidate the idea. The magic werewolves are basically the same as nWoD, but the idea of specifically appearing in times of need is not all that common.
Normally they have more negative connotations, with lack of self-control and everything.

>> No.22287242

>>22286907
>The early games however were UTTER SHIT
Actually, they were FUCKING MINDBLOWINGLY AMAZING at the time they were released. They were the first RPGs to ever have a soundtrack and graphics that good. The problem is that the mechanics were squarely 80s, and while the boss fights were somewhat better than contemporary ones, it doesn't hold up now that other games have far more refined gameplay and better audio/video.

Ys 3 was just bad, though. Best soundtrack in the entire series, damn near worst gameplay in the entire series. Good thing that its remake is literally the best game in the entire series.

>> No.22287255

>>22287140
>Implying today's shitty pop fantasy is any worse than it used to be
>Implying most people who read shitty pop fantasy don't also read older and more obscure titles but talk about them less because they are less trendy to talk about
>Implying I don't think a well-rounded gentleman gamer knowledgable in a variety of subjects will make better games

Show me empirical data where to sustain those argument or go back to Bretonnia, fool.

>> No.22287274

>>22286877
Bondage fanfiction of Twilight is now a critically acclaimed trilogy in it's own right. Never doubt the depths of stupidity.

>> No.22287283

>>22287010
How does /tg/ feel about Fooly Cooly, I wonder? Aliens, robots, an eldritch being made of pure energy, etc

>> No.22287294

>>22287232
>I'm not saying that Meyer is a good writer, but you can easily read it as seeing everything through the lens of one of these stupid bimbos that you occasionally see.

Yes, but the interviews with Meyer make it clear that the stupid bimbo in question is her.

>> No.22287322

>>22287294
>Yes, but the interviews with Meyer make it clear that the stupid bimbo in question is her.
Which makes it all the more hilarious in my eyes.

>>22287274
>Bondage fanfiction of Twilight is now a critically acclaimed trilogy in it's own right. Never doubt the depths of stupidity.
I wonder what would happen if we released Song of Ice and Fire fanfiction and filed the labels off.
...Actually, a properly done fanfiction where everyone gets what they deserve would likely sell more than the original books.

>> No.22287334

>>22287283
good but very overrated

>> No.22287347

>>22287255
>Implying today's shitty pop fantasy is any worse than it used to be
>Implying most people who read shitty pop fantasy don't also read older and more obscure titles but talk about them less because they are less trendy to talk about

Here's an illustration.
I love John Carter to death but its charm is in how much Burroughs was able to pull out of his ass on the fly. The soft-hearted DM I know, who is the living illustration of what OP is talking about (except only a minor anime fan), also loves John Carter. We've talked about it only a few times, including going to see the movie. It's mindless shit but it's very charming, and that extends to most all of the old junk.

We talk about Game of Thrones all the time, though, because it's on TV and TV is nice. The series is needlessly long-winded and the overarching plot is super predictable, but it's fun and I'm sure fifty years on it will be discussed in the tones we now use for early 20th century fiction.

Empirical data? "Eat a dick" is enough empirical data to match yours.

And high-falutin' conceptual fantasy, of any era, has never been suited to RPGs.

>Implying I don't think a well-rounded gentleman gamer knowledgable in a variety of subjects will make better games
Empirical data? I'm telling you, a well-rounded gentleman gamer knowledgable in a variety of subjects will make better games. Did you not pick up that everything after
>replying
was things I agreed with you on?

>> No.22287349

>>22287206
I think it's more that it could have popularized them and made something awesome mainstream. Mixing in high-school romance archetypes with this supernatural underground could have paved the way for all kinds of shit. Being able to score a hot date with "yeah, I play World of Darkness, wanna show up for a session" would be really fucking awesome (if laughably unlikely).

>>22287232
Absolutely, it is from Bella's perspective. The problem I have is that the author seems to think Bella's reactions are totally legitimate. Bella acts like a spoilt brat when moving to Forks, ignores her family when they're being legitimately concerned, does stupid things under the pretense of "being brave", and then is vindicated time and again by the plot.

The little cowpot should've had some misfortunes happen to her, and make her grow the fuck up. Instead, she gets her Twue Wubby-Dubby Wuv happen with dick all for effort. She's still a shallow and naive person who's still just as unlikable as she was at the beginning.

Character development, Meyer! Can you into it?

>> No.22287356

>>22287283
Those lists are woefully incomplete.

>> No.22287372

>>22287274
>a critically acclaimed trilogy

It's pretty clear that you don't know the meaning of those words, you know.

>> No.22287388

>>22287349
>Being able to score a hot date with "yeah, I play World of Darkness, wanna show up for a session" would be really fucking awesome (if laughably unlikely).
Thank fuck I live in Germany, the bizzare land where men and women alike play RPGs and there was never any witchhunt related to them, causing the to be unknown in the mainstream.

>> No.22287389

>>22287356
Yeah, I kind of want to add some entries to the page but I feel that would be presumptuous. This is, of course, totally disregarding the fact that I'm only one person and that these entries should really be debated by a group before addition.

>> No.22287399

>>22287372
Whoops, meant bestselling. It's been a long time since I got sleep proper, mind you.

>> No.22287404

>>22287372
Defined Critically Acclaimed because it's universally panned by actual critics.

>> No.22287417

>this thread not being about an anime version of The Hobbit where all the dwarves are moe as fuck

>> No.22287420

>>22287347
That is not empirical data.
Unless you you show me an academical essay/study which supports your arguments I will categorize them as subjective, not objective.

>> No.22287436

>>22287420

Not even that guy, but

>Humanities
>Objective

Ahahahaha. You crack me up, man.

>> No.22287441

>>22287389
then let's get discussing

>> No.22287445

>>22287420

Your opinions are not subject to empirical data then?

>> No.22287449

>>22287283
One of my personal fves. Not especially /tg/ related, but IMO one of the best things Gainax ever did.

>>22287322
I remember /a/ was planning on doing that with Fate/Stay Night. Rule 63 most of the cast, reskin the Servant classes into Tarot cards, and rename Gilgamesh Alexander the Great, turning him into a love interest for the heroine.

It sounded like it could actually have worked. Look up "Future/Remaining Evening on foolz.us sometime.

>>22287388
It's not so much of a witchhnt as people don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about. Folks sound vaguely intrigued about RPGs, but they're intirgued in the same was it would be neat to see a toucan or flamingo - a rare bird that seems interesting, but nothing they'd change their regular schedule to witness consistently.

>>22287417
Pic related?

>> No.22287472

>>22287436
Humanities are pretty objective.
You get one randomly for every so many kills.

>> No.22287481

>>22287441
Mirai Nikki because:
Shit, I can't think of anything.

>> No.22287485

>>22287472
I need more humanities. Maybe that will fill the hole in my heart.

>> No.22287499

>>22287485
Nope. You will forever be Hollow.

>> No.22287522

>>22287356
>>22287389
Of course they are. I do live up to my name a trick, and enjoy the shit out of Chinese cartoons, but those lists of /tg/ approved <whatever> should serve more as a starting point for newbs to get into some stuff related to /tg/'s hobbies. it shouldn't be exhaustive.

I'd love to include the Kara no kyoukai series under that list (the whole thing seems like a god-tier World of Darkness game), but it's not exactly newb friendly, and is a touch pretentious for most folks. I'm waiting until I see another series which folks will say "Yeah, that is totally /tg/!"

>> No.22287532

>>22287499
Just sounds like I'll need to kill more people.
Let's go out with a bang. I will start by banging girls.

>> No.22287535

>>22287472
only if you haven't killed the area's boss yet

>>22287481
because i just traveled to a parallel universe and killed myself in order to take my own place, and i did it all for the sake of love sounds like the most PC plan ever

>> No.22287556

But can we agree that anime is the cancer killing anything it touches?

>> No.22287572

>>22287556
No, bias is the cancer that is cancering the cancer cancer cancer cancer crab.

>> No.22287591

>> No.22287596

>>22287522
/tg/ likes monstergirls.
Astarotte no Omocha is full of monstergirls.
That's totally /tg/, right?

I dunno. We need a deeper discussion.

>> No.22287599

>>22287572
>crab
CRAAAAAAAAAAAABS

>> No.22287604

>>22287556
No, that would be people like OP who decide their opinions are correct and no one else has valid opinions.

You know, like you just did.

>> No.22287613

Fuckin 4chanX, fuckin up my crabs

>> No.22287624

>> No.22287633

>> No.22287634

>>22287591
>>22287599
>>22287613
Oh my god.
What have I started?

>> No.22287635

>>22287604
I'm pretty confident on the validity of my opinions, and can say that there was never anything anime considered as good by anyone not a japanophile or a manchild.

>> No.22287638

And finally, best crab.

>> No.22287640 [DELETED] 

Covering the bases:

>When was the last time you actually played an RPG that was about exploration and not your shitty, overpowered characters.

D&D 4e, L5R 2e, 2010 and 2007, respectively.

When was the last time you actually stumbled across a dangerous enemy by accident, not an encounter your DM hand crafted to be winnable so he could progress his shitty story.
This has never occured in tabletop gaming outside of random encounter tables, because this isn't something that was brought on by anime, this is something brought on by BOOKS. Nobody finds some BBEG cackling about his evil plan as he relieves himself at the urinal in a bar bathroom. Not in books, not in movies, not in anything

>When was the last time you ever found a treasure horde and actually pissed yourself with joy because it wasn't assumed to be the reward for defeating the enemy

I don't believe anyone has ever been that attached to their character. That would be a sign of incontinence.

>And don't give me that "but real fantasy is boring!" because I know you're full of shit. You've never even played real fantasy...

You mean "Low fantasy" - and no, nobody's run that I've played with.

But I don't really like fantasy that much.

just your shitty superhero games about ego masturbation and wish fulfillment.

Isn't that why people play? Like... I wish to play in a fantasy setting?

Christ knows that if I'm playing in a fantasy setting, it's not wish fulfillment right off the bat. It's more like okay.jpg after all my Battletech/Shadowrun/EclipsePhase recommendations have been shot down and ground to dust because nobody wants to learn the settings.

>> No.22287650

>>22287445
You already said the key word:
Opinions.

Any possible iteration of this conversation will be completely an absolutely fruitless.

>> No.22287656

>>22287183
>But Meyer dresses that shit up as perfect and huggy and idealized,

That's because what she wrote is a Mormon Jesus Fanfic. The Male love interest is a copypaste of how the Mormons describe their founder.

>> No.22287661

>>22287420
Again, my saying of 'eat a dick' is as empirical as all the data and evidence you've produced.

>> No.22287667

>>22287656
>The Male love interest is a copypaste of how the Mormons describe their founder.
He sounds like the North Korean president.

>> No.22287668

>>22287175
The depiction of it was good, but the source behind it annoyed the living shit out of me. Realistic motivations for protagonists was not a strong point of that series.

>> No.22287682

>>22287613

Sadly I've had a job like this.

Sadly because I lost it due to recession. Apparently magically making shit happen with no knowledge of how it happens is great until others can justify their shittier work.

But I did get paid to spend 5 years surfing the Net and playing PBP.

>> No.22287684 [DELETED] 

Covering the bases:

>When was the last time you actually played an RPG that was about exploration and not your shitty, overpowered characters.

D&D 4e, L5R 2e, 2010 and 2007, respectively.

When was the last time you actually stumbled across a dangerous enemy by accident, not an encounter your DM hand crafted to be winnable so he could progress his shitty story.
This has never occured in tabletop gaming outside of random encounter tables, because this isn't something that was brought on by anime, this is something brought on by BOOKS. Nobody finds some BBEG cackling about his evil plan as he relieves himself at the urinal in a bar bathroom. Not in books, not in movies, not in anything

>When was the last time you ever found a treasure horde and actually pissed yourself with joy because it wasn't assumed to be the reward for defeating the enemy

I don't believe anyone has ever been that attached to their character. That would be a sign of incontinence.

>And don't give me that "but real fantasy is boring!" because I know you're full of shit. You've never even played real fantasy...

You mean "Low fantasy" - and no, nobody's run that I've played with.

But I don't really like fantasy that much.

>just your shitty superhero games about ego masturbation and wish fulfillment.

Isn't that why people play? Like... "I wish to play in a fantasy setting?"

Christ knows that if I'm playing in a fantasy setting, it's not wish fulfillment right off the bat. It's more like okay.jpg after all my Battletech/Shadowrun/EclipsePhase recommendations have been shot down and ground to dust because nobody wants to learn the settings.

>> No.22287711

>>22287684

>Nobody finds some BBEG cackling about his evil plan as he relieves himself at the urinal in a bar bathroom. Not in books, not in movies, not in anything

They will now.

His penis is his cohort.

>> No.22287718

You know what ruined fantasy? Forgotten Realms. Complete with godlike wizards which are Mary Sues by the original author insertion definition, pseudo-tragic outcast heroes that spawned an entire legion of poorly written brooding character, and "matriarchal" fucking wank fantasies.

Anime had some great fantasy work; Berserk, Slayers, Record of Lodoss War. All comparable to the Western greats.


As for being overpowered... Remember, Beowulf was arguably the first fantasy story in the English language - and that dude could easily tear of a dude's arm, swim and hold his breath for days (IN ARMOR), and other fantastic shit because he was the goddamn hero.

>> No.22287725

>I am convinced that anime has ruined the fantasy genre

OP confirmed for faggot

>> No.22287737

Last Thursday. We dug too deep and got chased by a dragon and some goblins. We had to jump into a pit to escape.

>> No.22287749

>>22287667

Well yeah, he's the idealized head of a sectarian movement, what do you expect?

>> No.22287750

>>22287725

>Quotes
>Posts a Didn't Read gif

... It hurts.

>> No.22287761

Covering the bases:

>When was the last time you actually played an RPG that was about exploration and not your shitty, overpowered characters.

D&D 4e, L5R 2e, 2010 and 2007, respectively.

>When was the last time you actually stumbled across a dangerous enemy by accident, not an encounter your DM hand crafted to be winnable so he could progress his shitty story.
This has never occured in tabletop gaming outside of random encounter tables, because this isn't something that was brought on by anime, this is something brought on by BOOKS. Nobody finds some BBEG cackling about his evil plan as he relieves himself at the urinal in a bar bathroom. Not in books, not in movies, not in anything

>When was the last time you ever found a treasure horde and actually pissed yourself with joy because it wasn't assumed to be the reward for defeating the enemy

I don't believe anyone has ever been that attached to their character. That would be a sign of incontinence.

>And don't give me that "but real fantasy is boring!" because I know you're full of shit. You've never even played real fantasy...

You mean "Low fantasy" - and no, nobody's run that I've played with.

But I don't really like fantasy that much.

>just your shitty superhero games about ego masturbation and wish fulfillment.

Isn't that why people play? Like... "I wish to play in a fantasy setting?"

Christ knows that if I'm playing in a fantasy setting, it's not wish fulfillment right off the bat. It's more like okay.jpg after all my Battletech/Shadowrun/EclipsePhase recommendations have been shot down and ground to dust because nobody wants to learn the settings.

>>22287711
Yes, I know that your link got broken. Sorry. 4chan has no edit feature so I need to delete my shit and correct it all the damned time.

>> No.22287774

>>22287761

It's okay (I'm guessing) Pauldron.

>> No.22287776

>>22287750
After the bit I quoted there's no fucking point in reading any further. Nothing OP could have said after that would make him any less of a moron.

>> No.22287781

>>22287668
>Realistic motivations for protagonists was not a strong point of that series.
Actually, it felt really down-to-earth to me.
The motivations were fucking realistic... The issue is that real motivations are bad for stories.

>> No.22287789

>>22287711
That sounds like a possible scenario for the next Deus Ex.

>> No.22287813

>>22287711

>Believing the cohort is the cock

You don't understand my suffering.

>> No.22287899

>>22287242
In fact, just to prove my point, I'm going to link you to a song from the Turbo CD Ys 2, a game that was released in 1989.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_ujvRZSIlI

There was literally nothing like this at the time.

>> No.22287922

>>22284573
>implying recent movies, videogames and roleplaying trends are any better
enjoy your peter jackson dwarf x elf fanfiction hobbit and dragon age gaysex

that feel when even my little sister hates the handsome dwarfs and says they look like rangers

>> No.22287927

>>22287522
Nobody has seen Taiyou no Kiba Dougram / Fang of the Sun Dougram.

It should be required viewing.

Seriously. Everyone claims that Battletech is based of Macross - it's not. Macross is just the source for a few robot designs.

Dougram has the whole Politics and Military themes, raiding the enemy, pretty-damned-close-to-realistic military tactics and strategy, and revolutionaries in overalls. Goddamn so many overalls.

Battletech seems to have been heavily inspired by the franchise, and half of the unseen are from this show.

It's long, and a bit dry - mostly due to age, but still a fantastic watch full of twists and turns without the uguu bullshit.

>> No.22287970

>>22287774
Is that a tripfag or something?

Because no.

>> No.22287972

>>22287927

That's really merely a coincidence though. They had no way of watching the show back then. It only got subbed two years ago or so.

>> No.22288030

>>22287972

>In the mid 1980s, American gaming company FASA Corporation used the vehicle designs of the show for its Battletech miniature wargame and role-playing game. The first edition, then named BattleDroids, actually included two Japanese 1/144 model kits from Dougram. FASA was later sued by Playmates Toys and Harmony Gold USA for using designs from Macross (for example, Valkyrie fighters renamed Stinger, Wasp and Phoenix Hawk). The lawsuit was settled, and as a result post-lawsuit Battletech products no longer feature the designs taken from Macross. However in the years since, the designs from Macross, Dougram and Crusher Joe have since been re-introduced, Albeit with completely original artwork. The Dougram tabletop battling game also came out in 1984, the same year Battletech (Battledroids) was released in America.

Yeah. Totally nothing there.

>> No.22288115

>>22287972
>They had no way of watching the show back then. It only got subbed two years ago or so.
Are you serious? Ever heard of fansubs?
Anime was a huge underground thing before Akira and Ghost in the Shell made it popular you know?

>> No.22288163

>>22288030

They bought a buncha toys from an external supplier as a package back then. They did not pick and choose.

Dougram was not subbed back then.

>> No.22288175

>>22286012

I'd say you're the only one. I certainly think that's a retarded idea, but then again, I don't dictate what you can do in your game.Have fun playing loli succubi, bro, I'll stick to my shit.

>> No.22288209

>Last time you played an RPG that was about exploration and not an overpowered character.

One just came out last year, and got an add-on and PC port this year.

>> No.22288220

>>22288115
>Are you serious? Ever heard of fansubs?

Broadband internet and free video editing software are a pretty recent pheonena, you know.

>> No.22288299

Hmmmm...

you know what I fucking hate?

Speshul Snowflake Player Characters. One might like their character, but one's character should never be a "pet." It's...hard to articulate, but there's nothing I can't fucking stand more than someone with a half-fey halfling Mystic Theurge with four pages of high-school-tier backstory. And then they demand to warp the WHOLE fucking game to be about THEM and their character.

And...I DO kind of feel like that sort of super-powerful, center-of-attention character is a really, REALLY common thing in the sort of anime that these people watch. Fucking Inuyasha and shit.

OP has the vague suggestion of a point. Anime fans who jump into tabletop RPGs bring with them a narrative sensibility that's really, REALLY fucking irritating to other people.

I remember chatting with a guy about his eberron game...here's how the conversation went

Sky Pirates. Okay, nice start.
Political Situation all bending to the party's actions. Well, they're high level characters by now.
Half-troll wizard party member. Every party member seemed to be some sort of template or other. uuuuhhhhhhhh...
Tons of shit about the Lords of Dust and generic demon swords and time travel and high fantasy garbage. The worst parts of the setting. :;Shudder::
No thanks.

I had earlier asked him if he was interested in joining a game I was planning, something set in the city of Kaer Maga (in Pathfinder), and eventually doing some sci-fi John Carter+Lovecraft shit. Gritty swords-and-sorcery in a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

He said his character would be a quickling rogue. It's cool, he said, he came up with a monster class that would make the abilities balanced.

No fucking thank you. Instead, I invited the local Nerd Queen and her boyfriend in as new blood. She made a half-drow elf rogue with an awful romance-novel backstory, and constantly demands her own side plot.

Fuck new blood.

>> No.22288306

>>22288220

You could do subtitles on an old Commodore Amiga. Remember having to help my father when he was making subs for bootleg Bollywood movies with a shit VHS recorder and the first edition of JACOsub.

>> No.22288338

>>22288163
well
>>22288220
What this guy said.

Fansubbing has been around a fair while, it's just not been as... high quality... as recent attempts.

Wiki's "Fansub" entry, First few sentences.

>Fansubs originated during the explosion of anime production during the 1980s in Japan. Relatively few titles were licensed for distribution outside of Japan. This made it difficult for anime fans to obtain new titles. Some fans, generally those with some Japanese language experience, began producing amateur subtitled copies of new anime programs so that they could share them with their fellow fans who did not understand Japanese.[citation needed]
>The first distribution media of fansubbed material was VHS and Betamax tapes. Such copies were notoriously low quality, time consuming to make, expensive to produce (over US$4000 in 1986)[1] and difficult to find. A limited number of copies were made and then mailed out or distributed at local anime clubs. Fans could purchase fansubs at a modest cost or could contact clubs who would record the material on their own blank video cassettes.
>However, with the advent of widespread high-speed Internet access, desktop video editing, DVD and Blu-ray Disc ripping, and TV capturing, the original process has largely been abandoned in favor of digital fansubbing (digisubbing) and electronic distribution of the resulting digisubs. This has allowed fansubbing to transform from a slow and tedious task that generates a low quality preview of an attractive show to a cheap, easy, and quick way to create a high quality and highly available alternative to official DVD or Blu-ray releases.

>> No.22288363

>>22288299

Is four pages of backstory too much?

Because we have one character with 29.

>> No.22288620

>>22288363
See, here's the thing.

No one gives a fucking fuck.

The players in my City of Strangers game just hit 10th level, and the composition book I use for it has so far used 40 pages. And most of that is stat blocks and sketches.

It is a tabletop RPG. you are not writing a fantasy novel with your level 4 human fighter as the protagonist. There are at least 4 other people at the table. they're there to hang out and use their imaginations and roll dice. They are not there to watch you wank off to how awesome your personal quest to avenge the death of your mother at the hands of your demon father.

this applies to the DM, too. the players are not there to have a historical textbook read to them, especially one full of generic-as-fuck ancient elven empires and the same fucking sun god that everyone has.

No. One. Cares.

See this? This right here? This is two rooms in a big dungeon. One is a sealed-off panic room that the PCs have to dim-door into using the scoll of Dim Door they find in the library after fighting the library's construct guardian. The room's air is dead and poisonous from an old fire. Inside is the forgotten eidolon of one of the spellcasters, which happens to look like Slenderman. Inside is the Keycard that unlocks the dungeon's central vault, within which is a fragment of a stillborn Great Old One on par with Cthulu.

And the players still don't care overmuch. But, they DID get to figure out how to get into a locked room and fight Slenderman. One of the PCs shot him in the head as he tried to light the PC on fire.

>> No.22288749

>>22288620
The other room is a cryo lab housing specimens pulled through a "stargate" around which the lab was built. All this is Thassilonian, but the motiefs are very sci-fi. There's even a floating butler-AI that answers your questions, but is secretly working against you, a-la 343 Guilty Spark.

This isn't writing a fantasy novel. This is slapping pre-existing ideas together into something entertaining. The game is a GAME. Interesting things should happen to challenge the players, who interact with the world via their characters.

One of the PCs was a BlackBlade magus who was interested in thassilonian magic. The "curator" AI thought he was a servant of the runelord, because he carried the Knight of Greed's sword, and thus obeyed his commands. He had fun, he was useful to the party, the party had fun.

And it only took 3 pages. And most of one was a badass drawing of the Child of Mhar, AKA Lava Cthulu.

I know how to run a game. Animu characters need not apply.

>> No.22288778

>>22288749
>>22288620

Please tell us more of your setting. I find it ever so derailing and uninteresting.

>> No.22288803

>>22288778
Not my setting. default pathfinder.

My point is, all this was entertaining at the table, and was slapped together in a few hours.

Fucking Half-nymph drows...

>> No.22288830

>>22286151
>>22286182
>>22286186
>>22286204
Weirdly enough, it's a kind of role-playing in itself.

>> No.22288842

>>22287638
Oh hell yes. 10/10 would crab again.

>>22287596
I'd agree. Getting into what makes a given thing /tg/ related

How is the discussion on 1d4chan? The
discussion pages are usually pretty empty.

What do you think counts as something /tg/ related? Given our board's culture, an anime which dealt with medieval fantasy (high or low), badass warriors, gritty science fiction or involved world-building would be worth considering

Something with excessive cuteness, bluntly sexual "eek my panties!" humor, and lazy storytelling would be less so.

>> No.22289017

>>22286366
I just realized I love old women in Miyazaki creations. That old lady is holding the line with the rest of them and handing out shotguns.

>> No.22289059

>>22289017
beware the elderly in a profession where people typically die young

>> No.22289245

>>22289017
That's what I love about Miyazaki in general - even background characters feel like fleshed-out people. The prostitutes-cum-weaponsmiths in Princess Mononoke also spring to mind they have a very minor part in the film, but you got the impression of how their lives functioned on a daily basis. There was such a strong sense of who those people were and how they lived.

>> No.22289358

I don't know if OP is trolling or retarded, but this thread was a hilarious read.

>> No.22289970

>>22286557
A well run world should have shit that you cannot beat. If there is nothing in the world that will ever stop you; excepting by mistakes you make, then you're doing nothing but masturbation, which is a step below vidyagames.

If you're ROLE playing then the greatest joy is to know that you can try your hardest, fail horribly, and then the next meeting try again in a new body. This is the virtue of role playing; if you're not going to take advantage of that you want vg, or boardgames. THOSE are made for you to win.

OP has points, but he's a ragebeard and thinks anime is the problem. Every form of media is 90% shit, it's part of life finding the 10% that isn't shit for you; sadly most people end up picking the 10% that isn't shit for their peers, and live unhappy and less than meaningful lives.

>> No.22290022

>>22287002
That makes it okay.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action