Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 49 KB, 491x245, tetsubo001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
21593173 No.21593173 [DELETED]  [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

Let's talk about outlandish weapons, /tg/

How come nobody ever uses a kanabo? I'm not really into japanese stuff in general, but fucking look at that thing. It's a big iron club with little spikes on it. It's super rad.

>> No.21593194

I think the Mexicans used to use a similar thing, but ditched them for swords and actual guns.

>> No.21593203

It's a big wooden club with iron spikes on it.
I have played in an eastern themed game, the barbarian(yay always DnD final destination...) who used a club, refluffed as a kanabo.
It is just a club, a big one, but still.
The real question is How come nobody ever refluffs their club as a kanabo?
Because it may not fit the theme of the campaign.

>> No.21593218
File: 12 KB, 360x270, photos_240_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
21593218

>>21593194
The macuahuitl, another one of my favorites. Two paddles with sharp rocks between them.

>> No.21593220
File: 21 KB, 501x325, Macuahuitl.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
21593220

Antihorse weapon. If (or rather, when) the obsidian broke ot could still be a mean club.

>> No.21593231

DnD's horrible exotic weapons rules don't encourage people to branch out of the typical weapon set.

"I wanna use a Kanabo."

"What is it?"

"It's a Japanese weapon that is basically a big iron club with spikes on it."

"Hmm, better take a special feat to know how to use it."

"...But it's just a club, basically."

"Exotic name, exotic weapons feat!"

>> No.21593242
File: 49 KB, 720x480, MACE_Spiked_926795.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
21593242

because unless you're playing a japanese themed setting then they're called maces

>> No.21593251

>>21593218
>>21593220
Mindcuahuitl.

>> No.21593252

I like the tetsubo too.
Related to your question, usually is because my group plays european medieval fantasy...and would be fucking strange to access to asian weapons mostly because when they break there aren't spare parts or someone who could repair it.

>> No.21593255

>>21593231
and weapon focus, and weapon specialization, and ect ect.

It's so anti-cinematic. Every hero can pick up an enemies sword or a spear they found on the floor and put up a decent fight.

>> No.21593275

>>21593231
I think that's fair, as long as the setting is somewhere the weapon isn't common. It's not that it's way harder to use than simple/martial weapons, it's more an issue that there's nobody around who could have taught you.

>> No.21593279
File: 86 KB, 740x599, 1343687552467.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
21593279

greatsword or great axe or both!?

>> No.21593286

>>21593255
Sword, mace, or axe MAYBE, but I defy anybody to pick up a spear they known nothing about and use it without looking like a total doofus and probably hurting themselves.

>> No.21593293

>>21593275

What if my character is a native of the orient of that setting?

>> No.21593303

>>21593293
Then they would probably have that weapon feat.

>> No.21593316
File: 72 KB, 460x284, deepeeka-khopesh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
21593316

The khopesh.
You can use this motherfucker to cut, disarm, or removing an opponent's shield by hooking to it.
It exists in the shortsword and longsword variants.
And it's rad as hell.

>> No.21593317

>>21593279
Is that a... falx?
Sorry i don't know

>> No.21593320

>>21593303

Why would they need an "exotic" weapon feat for a common weapon from their area of origin?

>> No.21593329

>>21593275
There's no body around who could have taught you how to use what is seriously just a fluffy club?

Nunchaku, spiked chain, dire flail, two-bladed swords; these are weapons which are justifiably exotic. There is no simple comparison to draw between these weapons and a more commonly used weapon, so it's easy to argue why special training would be necessary.

But anyone who can wield a mace can teach you how to wield a Kanabo. There are so many times where "Exotic Weapon" is applied just because exotic name or origin, not because the weapon requires special training to use.

Also, we're talking about a game where scythes and falchions (among other things) are considered martial, so clearly martial weapons training covers a lot of fucking bases.

>> No.21593330
File: 133 KB, 311x386, Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 11.35.05 AM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
21593330

>>21593316
omg

>> No.21593336

>>21593231
It's funnier when your characters is supossed to be from a particular country and yet he needs to take exotic weapon feats with the weapons of that country...because D&D can't into logic.

>> No.21593374

>>21593316
We Tomb Kings now

>> No.21593380

>>21593286
You can't hit yourself with a spear. There's just no way for doing it. You have to be somehow retarded to actually manage to be useless with a spear.

>> No.21593392

>>21593336
Not only that.
Human raised by elves or dwarves...still don't know how to use elven or dwarven weapons.

Elves or dwarves raised by humans...they know how to use weapons they never saw before

>> No.21593396

>>21593380
I keep grabbing it by the sharp part. I've never seen one of these before.

>> No.21593436
File: 1018 KB, 258x226, this is how I teacher.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
21593436

>rpg's underestimating slings and padded armour
>and not even including the staffsling

>> No.21593440
File: 83 KB, 470x500, Comic 664.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
21593440

>>21593396
Well, if you go to SUCH extreme case of inability... Then I guess... It'd be possible?

>> No.21593447

You know what weapons I don't think I've ever seen used in any campaign I've ever played? The Scythe, Dire Flail, or Quarter Staff.

I don't think any of those are even exotic weapons. People just don't seem to like them.

>> No.21593452
File: 70 KB, 640x480, Bian Mace.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
21593452

The Bian Mace

Chinese bar mace that is made to look like a sword to dupe opponents.

>> No.21593468

>>21593452
Dupe them into... what?

>Ha! You thought when I swung it at you, you'd get your head chopped! But instead your skull caved in! You had no idea which injury was about to befall you! I got you!

>> No.21593470

Well, just a mere Chinese mace is quite a weird thing. Basically, a masterwork analogue of modern piece of rebar.

>> No.21593475

>>21593436
pretty positive 2nd ed had slingstaffs.
and slings were a proven tool of awesome in low level adventures.
at least in my campaigns.

>> No.21593476
File: 21 KB, 640x427, ph-0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
21593476

>>21593470
Forgot picture, dammit.

>> No.21593478

>>21593468
It's called a "sword-breaker" mace in China.
Generally it's so heavy that trying to parry it would bend or otherwise heavily damage jian or dao.

>> No.21593480

>>21593468
>>21593452
Same thing I was thinking.

"Instead of cutting your arm, I crushed it!"

>> No.21593483

>>21593380
you can hit yourself with the non sharp end in the gut

>> No.21593485

>>21593468
Because when they go to parry it like a sword they'll get their shit smashed and bent

>> No.21593486

>>21593436
GTTLJ
Great-Teacher Tommy-Lee Jones.

Wait, what the fuck? Why's he in a jap show?

>> No.21593497

>>21593436
>understimating slings
>slings in D&D 5 deal 1d6 damage, 1d8 if you're a halfling
>understimating
What do you want? 2d12?

>> No.21593501

>>21593486
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cqz-S8Phv8

A whole series of japanese ads. They are glorious.

>> No.21593510

The only point where a game system should require you to expend XP/feats whatever to use something is when it gives you a new power/capability/thing-you-can-do.

For example you should probably require exotic weapon prof for something that lets you say, trip people at a range (bolas) or grapple with reach (mancatcher).

When we play something a bit more high-tech we have skills you need to tag to be able to use certain things. Like Tech-Use: Radiosystem or Tech-Use powerarmour. This is so that loot doesn't equate to instant and internally imbalancing (unless there is a powerarmour for EVERYONE) powergain.

>> No.21593514

>>21593478
>Implying you could even block a chinese sword with another chinese swords without break them or warp them

>> No.21593520

>>21593501
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39MILG4txBk&feature=relmfu

With english subs, because not all of us can understand the second moonspeak of earth.

>> No.21593526
File: 19 KB, 535x150, Chinese Mace 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
21593526

>>21593468
Dupe you into thinking your fighting a swordsman.

Bian maces were meant to damage blades. Paired with a sword, it served as a sword-breaker.

A true chinese mace looks like this, spherical or octagonal

>> No.21594137

>>21593520
>>21593436

Damnit can't find the ep on the .gif

>> No.21594390

D&D is just a horrible ruleset, just go with BRP instead.

>> No.21595891

>>21593520
Holy shit those were awesome.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action