Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
[ERROR] No.21497097 [DELETED]  [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

What's your favorite nonhuman race in tabletops?

>> No.21497104

dwarf

>> No.21497113

Dorfs

>> No.21497122

Squats

>> No.21497127

If I became a half-dragon by becoming a dragon disciple, would that thing fuck me?

>> No.21497131

Tits on a lizard? Who the hell thought that would be a good idea? That's even more redundant than the pope's balls. And also incidentially about as likely to lead into deviancy.

>> No.21497148

Jadeborn

>> No.21497150

>>21497131

The more pressing issue is how can it talk without lips.

>> No.21497159

>>21497150
IT'S D&D I AIN'T GOTTA EXPLAIN SHIT

>> No.21497165

>>21497150

But dragons need to have lips. How can they sneer without lips to sneer with?

>> No.21497172

>>21497165

These are shitty imitation dragons. Barely a notch above kobolds.

>> No.21497183 [DELETED] 

>What's your favorite nonhuman race in tabletops?
Your Mom

>> No.21497191

>>21497127
Hrmmm.. Taking a closer look at the loin-cloth, it would seem that it has a bulge...

So, yes, it might administer a fucking upon you.

>> No.21497197 [DELETED] 

>>21497183

I didn't know I was on /v/

>> No.21497206

I like genasi.

No real reason. I just like pseudoelementals and the way they can look.

>> No.21497215

Dragons.
Dragonborn or lizardmen also work, but nothing beats a few tons of muscled, scaled, armored-like-a-tank firebreathing goodness.

>> No.21497238

tengu/birdpeople

>> No.21497241

ORKS! WAAAAAGH!!!

If not orks, Kobolds

>> No.21497252

Trick question. Humans are the best race, no matter what.

>> No.21497264

>>21497172

I don't understand. How can they be a notch above the best race?

>> No.21497265

Orks. Fucking Orks. They know what they want, where to get it, and die doing it. The simple life.

>> No.21497267

>>21497097
Do I have to pick one? It's so hard to choose..

>> No.21497270

Thri-kreens.

Them bitches is fiiiiiiiiiiiine

>> No.21497274

>>21497264

Kobolds are adventurer fodder. And no one with two brain cells left to rub will give them the dignity of those overpowered feats.

>> No.21497287

Kobolds, with lizardfolk and tengu shortly behind.

>> No.21497294

>>21497097
Goblins.
Love playing Goblin's in Magic.
Love playing Goblin's in DnD.
Love artwork for Goblin's (except for Pathfinder)
Love how Terry Pratchett portrayed Goblin's in Snuff.
Close second is Dwarves.

>> No.21497296

>>21497097
G1/10 Would perform coitus with for the purpose of creating spawn.

>> No.21497309

>>21497296

It's looking pretty banged up and injured in that pic. I don't think it could resist you...

>> No.21497314

lizard kobolds, gobbies, hobgobbies, dog kobolds, orks, and dorfs in that order.

>> No.21497321

>>21497270
Is that supposed to be a giant Praying Mantis?
That bitch gonna eat yo head man, playa don't play dat shit.

>> No.21497325

>>21497270
How is it blushing?
It's not like it has a closed circulatory system or anything

>> No.21497327

>>21497309

>> No.21497336

>>21497294

>Goblin's
>Goblin's
>Goblin's
>Goblin's

For the love of God, man. What did apostrophes ever do to you, that you would abuse them like this? Did your parents die in the Great Apostrophe Drought of '76? Did a rogue grammarian molest you when you were young? Did you catch a fatal case of Greengrocer's Apostrophe off of some sleazy punctuation hooker with interrobangs tattooed on her tits?

>> No.21497346

Gorgons

>> No.21497349

>>21497336
ye's ye's and definite'''''ly

>> No.21497354

Dwarves.

>> No.21497370

>>21497336
>Grammer Nazi

Does it really matta' that much tah' yah'?
(And I yes I realize that I made all of my Goblins possessive.)
Have another Goblin.

>> No.21497376

>>21497346
lamias for me but gorgons are a very close second.

>> No.21497394 [SPOILER] 

>>21497346
Hey you know what I like? being alive. That's cool. Also not being a rock. Also cool.

Also, BRRRRRT.

>> No.21497396

Catboys~

>> No.21497402

>>21497394

Look up! In the sky! It's sharktits with wings!

>> No.21497410

>>21497370

I read Eats, Shoots, & Leaves the other day, and now I can't stop noticing it! Apostrophe abuse! Everywhere! It's like suddenly I'm seeing the fnords, except instead of an Illuminati conspiracy it's poor grammar! Aaaaugh!

>> No.21497416 [DELETED] 

>>21497396
Catboys are the best.

>> No.21497421

>>21497402
Yeah, unfortunately the face is... ugh.

>> No.21497424

>>21497416

Such a shame /tg/ hates them so much.

>> No.21497435

>>21497416

Only if they're half-fae.

Speaking of which, the Fae are definitely my favorite race for tabletop settings. Just only for NPCs; giving that shit to a PC is asking for trouble, and also not possible.

>> No.21497447

>>21497435

I'm pretty sure you have abuse fantasies, don't you?

>> No.21497458 [DELETED] 

ORKS IS DAH BEST

>> No.21497464 [DELETED] 

>>21497435
What about half-fae dogboys?

>> No.21497465

Half-Shapeshifters

>> No.21497491

>>21497447

Hey, I use them /very/ sparingly. They're my favorite mostly because they're not used all that much in most of the fantasy me or my group has read, and as a result they can provide a lot of interesting and new fluff and folklore. They're definitely the sort of thing you pull out very, very rarely.

Unless you're playing Changeling, I guess. Which we don't.

My favorite race to actually use on a more frequent basis is probably Thri-Keen or Warforged, which have the bonuses of not being creepy and being PC-safe.

>> No.21497497

There's something about desert-dwelling tiger merchants that I really like.

>> No.21497498

>dat janitor

>> No.21497503

>>21497325
Thri-kreens DO have closed circulatory system with two interdependent hearts, and proper lungs linked to spiracles in their sides.

As for why she's blushing, she's obviously in the company of a charming young man she fancies.

>> No.21497519

>>21497410
Must be the curse of Giving too Many Fucks.
It's like when a peasent walks past you, you MUST engage in conversation about how shitty their life is how how you can make it better.
I think my DnD group has this curse, too bad nobody wants to play a healer, EVER.
Here I got a wallpaper for you, by the way.

>> No.21497520

>>21497497
this seems like its from...some where else


you thought i was going to say elswyr


black marsh master race

>> No.21497530

>>21497424
>/tg/
>hating catboys
only when they're half-fae whiny little shits.
It doesn't take much to make your catpeople race badass.
Though i prefer term "catguy".

>> No.21497533

I do like aquatic races for some reason. Probably so I can play a literal fish out of water.

>> No.21497536

>>21497519
Healing isn't really that much of a requirement. Tell them to soak up some points in use magical device, or hire some underling cleric to do it for them.

>> No.21497543

>>21497533
?

>> No.21497553

>>21497321
it was actually found that they did that only in captivity iirc

>> No.21497555

>>21497543
Precisely. Though make it a hammerhead.

>>21497530
I also have a catboy. He's a ninja James Bond wannabe.

>> No.21497559

>>21497536
Such is life for a group of 3 barbarians and 2 fighters.

>> No.21497567

>>21497497

>> No.21497574

>>21497553
Fascinating.

>> No.21497578

>>21497567
Dapper James Bond villain tiger is best tiger.

>> No.21497588

>>21497553
that is terrifying

>> No.21497603

>>21497555
Mine's 50% catperson 50% russian police detective.

>> No.21497618

>>21497603
Did not know that Russian Police Detective was a race.
What is it's specs?

>> No.21497626

>>21497618
+infinite kick your ass and being drunk

>> No.21497628

Ghouls.

>> No.21497642

>>21497628
Bald: It's weird, but I like it

>> No.21497654

>>21497626

>> No.21497730

>>21497618
Police detective is occupation , but pretty much this. >>21497626

>> No.21497757

Drow
That delicious spider cult

>> No.21497860

>>21497757
SMITE CLEAVE!

>> No.21498251

I'll take cutebolds over lizardmidgets anyday.

>> No.21498439

>>21497757
Lolth are the worst part about drow. So much so that I made a character based on peter the great just because of that.

>> No.21498474

>>21497553
More specifically: when they were hungry and being watched while in captivity. Give them a little more privacy, feed them more, and the male is 95% more likely to survive the experience.

>> No.21498475

>>21498439
I don't care about Lolth speficically
I just have a thing fetishfor spider iconography

>> No.21498508

>>21498475
>specifically

>> No.21498610

Insect people or Bird people.

No alternatives.

>> No.21498632

>>21497325
Maybe, in order for an arthropod to become as large as it is, it has to evolve a few more traits. Possibly specialized internal structures similar to a skeleton, like in crabs where the muscles are chambered and everything, and a (mostly) closed circulatory system.

I'd assume they'd also need some form of change to their respiratory system as well.

>> No.21498652

ork/orc. greenskins in general.

>> No.21498673

>>21498632
still doesn't explain how you can blush through an exoskeleton.

>> No.21498686

>>21498673
Magic

>> No.21498709

>>21498673
http://www.asknature.org/strategy/2cc0f3d54ddc88aa9a1223bb76239728

There have been instances where chitin can change color somewhat.

What if the species just evolved color patterns, near the face/neck/chest for obvious reasons, to show a few emotions? I mean heck, one color of blush is enough for people to guess "arousal" or "anger" even.

>> No.21498725

Modrons got to play one for a few sessions once. I am so pissed that group fell apart I had way to much fun rping him. pic related I had a drawfag make a surprisingly great pic of him for me

>> No.21498726

>>21497097
Lizardmen. Reptiles as people has always just been cool as hell to me for some reason. Dragonborn don't trigger it, though half dragons kinda do. But Lizardmen? Shit yeah son. Reptilian eyes, sharp teeth, claws, scales, all cool stuff. I prefer them more like giant monitor lizard people then crocs or skinks though. Crests are fantastic, of course.

>> No.21499025

>>21497097
Actually I have no preference.
The stats, the character they posses, these are my primary traits I look for.
After that, everything is secondary.
Now I wish I could play an eldritch abomination that is behaving totally different, like keeping cats as pets and tending it's multiuniversal garden that inhabits many sapient and sentient lifeforms it micromanages when needed.
Otherwise it wanders the crowd, drawing pictures as an amateur streetpainter.

>> No.21499069

>>21497097
Just about any of them. In order, since I like too many:

>Dragonborn
>Kobolds
>Lizardfolk
>Cat-People i liked them before they were trollbait
>Tieflings

According to some furries I know, I'm to scalies what metrosexuals are to gay people.

>> No.21499077

>>21499069
>According to some furries I know, I'm to scalies what metrosexuals are to gay people.
i chuckled.

>> No.21499102

CTRL+F Dromites

Y'all niggas are ignoring dromites!?

>> No.21499165

I don't have a favorite as pretty much all of them can look cool or stupid depending who's drawing them, and have traits I like and dislike depending on who's writing them.

The only totally consistent thing is that I've never seen any media with likable trolls, ogres, goblins, orcs or any of that general group of things that are like humans but uglier and usually dumber too.

>> No.21499166

Robots.

>> No.21499169

>>21497458
I don't want another fetish /tg/
Why do you do this to me?
;_;

>> No.21499312

Rolled 19

>>21499169
Too bad. That's what you get. Stop by the musclegirl thread in /d/ on your way out to pick up your membership card.

Which reminds me, I should be taking my "save vs. fetish" roll...

>> No.21500509

Generally prefer smaller characters. Personal Favourite are star wars Kushibans. Particularly ones that know they look cute, and have no issues taking advantage of this. Though despite the availability operating a Heavy Automatic Blaster Cannon as a one is a bad idea.
You know Disney going to be using those soon anyway.

>> No.21500517

>>21499169
Thread needs some propa ork gurlz

>> No.21500523

Is there a Cowgirl race?
Because it's the Cowgirl race.

>> No.21500547

>>21500517
What i this? Im confuss

>> No.21500559

These guys

>> No.21500565

I love me some warforged.

>> No.21500571

>>21500517
Fuck you, boner. Fuck. You.

>> No.21500617

Slimes.

Because of raisins.

Delicious homebrewed raisins.

>> No.21500685

Whatever this is

>> No.21500688

Lizardmen or birdmen. I greatly enjoy elves in non-traditional roles, too.

>> No.21500695

>>21499069

Tarvus?

>> No.21500754

Hu-

>nonhuman race

Well. Tieflings, I suppose. Especially when I play one that's good aligned. I like the idea that something marked by evil overcomes their base nature and aspires to being something better.

It's a tired trope, and is the plot to about 2983492374 pieces of entertainment, but it's a guilty pleasure of mine.

>> No.21500794

>Dragonborn

I think I might be a closet furry or something because of those things.

>> No.21500852

>>21500559
>Changeling

Mah nig.

Play ALL the races!

>> No.21501011

Kobolds.
Or half-elves.

>> No.21501066

>>21497376
I am a lamia guy. Lamias all the way.

>> No.21501115

>>21500559

Second. Because futa

>> No.21501143

What's with /tg/ and reptiles?

>> No.21501149

>>21501143

They're cold, socially aloof and prefer to be by themselves.

You can see where I'm going with this.

>> No.21501158

>>21501143
Dinosaurs are about ten billion times cooler than everything else.

Dinosaur people are about half as cool as that.

>> No.21501165

>>21501143
What's not to love?

>> No.21501188

>>21501158

Yeah, if you're 10.

>>21501165

Their inability to feel emotions.

>> No.21501227

>>21501188
>not liking dinosaurs
What are you, twelve?

>> No.21501250

>>21501188
>he doesn't like dinosaurs

Oh, come on now.

>> No.21501307

>>21501158
>dinosaurs
>reptiles

These are not the same thing, dammit. Do people really still think this?

>> No.21501325

>>21499166
Aww fuck yeh, robots.

>> No.21501370

This is now a monster girl thread.
Also, goblins.

>> No.21501381

>inb4 Tamani

>> No.21501392

>>21501307
>Do people really still think this?
Not everyone is a pedant.

>> No.21501423

I really like croaches, though I'll probably never get a chance to play one.

For something more standard, I do like elves in all flavors, though mostly the high magic kind.

>> No.21501426

I've always been a fan of machines.

>> No.21501427

>>21501307
>Reptiles originated around 320-310 million years ago during the Carboniferous period, having evolved from advanced reptile-like amphibians that became increasingly adapted to life on dry land. There are many extinct groups, including dinosaurs, pterosaurs, and aquatic groups such as the ichthyosaurs.

>> No.21501451

>>21501427
Stop right there, criminal scum. How does it make any sense for a large, active beast like the dinosaurs supposedly were to be a cold-blooded reptile. It is bullshit, I say. Dinosaurs were more bird than reptile.

>> No.21501462

>>21501451
Or maybe our definition of "reptile" needs updating?

>> No.21501466

>>21501462
That would be acceptable. Feathers are a type of scale, technically.

>> No.21501476

>>21500565
It's pictures like the one you posted that make me glad I've never came across a Warforged with a crossbow (or firearm, depending on the setting).

Warforged would basically be the most efficient snipers. They don't need to eat, drink or defecate so they can remain in one spot for days, perhaps even weeks without complaint. They have no circulatory system, so there's no pulsing bloodstreams to upset the steadiness of the crossbow, and the wooden components of their body would aid tremendously in blending in.

I should put a Warforged snoipah in my next campaign, in an encounter paying homage to The End from MGS3.

On topic though:
I've always been a supporter of the underdog, and it's hard to get more underdog than the various breeds of Kobolds. For some reason, I can't help but imagine them as being hopelessly optimistic despite all the shit they're put through, like they're convinced that the spiked pit-trap is going to kill that lvl-19 adventuring party.

I also have a raging yet guilty boner for Dragonborn ;-;

>> No.21501487

>>21499166
>>21501325
Gonna have to go with this. Bonus points for non-humanoid robots.

>> No.21501525

>>21501188
>Only if your 10

Quite the opposite, and I'm quite angry about it.

When I was a lad, dinosaurs were fucking cool, so were Street Sharks and shoes with the lights in the heel that blinked when you step. These days, whenever I venture into my local shopping center for some odds 'n sods or a steak-bake I always see the toy shops empty (aside from one or two teenagers buying Nerf guns) and the vidya shops packed with children buying cowadooty and whatnot.

Little cunts, stop having fun wrong and liking stuff I don't like!

>> No.21501557

Goblins.

>> No.21501565

>>21501525
We obviously need more dinosaur vidya. Turok, hooo!

>> No.21502110

>> No.21502126

>>21501565
>turok
>not dinocrisis

Your dinosaur vidya is inferior.

>> No.21502193

>>21501487
aww fuck yeah, more robats

>> No.21502372

Ok fine some robots..or robutts

>> No.21502412

Northman/Nord/viking
If that doesn't count
Orc.

>> No.21502420

>> No.21502447

best robot

>>21502372
head's too big, reminds me of loli.

>> No.21502480

>>21497159

>> No.21502484

>>21502447

>best robot

I think you meant this one.

>> No.21502530

>>21502484
Tankgirl is okay, but not as good as the manly, heroic and tragic Bolo.

>> No.21502557

>>21502530
Bolos are pretty fucking rad.

>> No.21502980

Gnolls. And well, monstrous humanoids/"monster races" in general. Kobolds easily come in second, followed by hobgoblins/goblins, etc.

>>21497321

Nah, mantises only do that stuff when creepy scientists sit five feet away watching them fuck.

In the wild or when observed via cameras, there's no partner-eating. They just fuck and that's it.

>>21501565

From all I heard, the last attempt at a modern remake of Turok was pretty godawful.

Maybe it's best if they let that poor sod rest. There's always other dino games that can be made.

>> No.21503391

>>21502557

>> No.21503545

>>21501381
Tamani

>> No.21503616

>>21497097
gingers

>> No.21503666

>>21501115
Things I have seen, I can't unsee. Things I have learned, I can't unlearn.

Shapeshifters are still pretty cool though. Malleable identity means a life free of most consequences.

>> No.21503671

>>21502126
>Dino Crisis
>not Primal Rage

>> No.21503826

>>21499166
Dis mai nigga.

>> No.21503856

Dragonborn.

>> No.21505425

>>21500695

fuck off you feathery niggerdick chudmeister

>> No.21505449

Cyborgs, Genetically Altered Humans and Michael McDonald.

>> No.21505531 [DELETED] 

>>21505425

>> No.21505567

Merfolk and other amphibious races. The ocean is pretty cool.

>> No.21505615

>>21497097
Only one? Hengeyokai, I guess. Mechanically they're terrible, but flavor-wise I really like them.

Killoren are pretty neat, too. Same for azurin (i think these count)

Most beastfolk races in general, but Gnolls and Kenku I have a soft-spot for.

>> No.21505691

Do horrifying shapeshifting abominations count?

Seriously, these guys are cool at all stages in the game, and not just combat roles.

>> No.21505733

>>21505691
Always bet on Twelve

>> No.21505777

Ogres. Big, dumb, fat party animals, for whom it's always rape-o-clock.

Stone giant is a close second.

>> No.21506543

warforged sound so fun, its a shame ive never played one.

>> No.21506584

I like shapechangers that can actually get a mechanical effect for their shapechanging, rather than just a "lol you can look like other people".

>> No.21506961

>>21501066

Me too but I insist on calling them Naga. Lamias are actually some vampire-like creature in some mythology or other, I think.

>> No.21507056

Tieflings and Halfelves probably are my favs, i like races that live longer than humans, i like the idea of my character living a long exciting life with a big "continue" when i end a campaign (and my character is still alive). I like the idea of living for more than 1 century and see the future generations and stuff...

But funny thing, i almost always play humans, mostly because rest of the races are alien as fuck (elves in some games), hated as fuck (and i don't like the emo stuff, nobody loves me) or just have LA or some kind of incredible bing downside.

>> No.21507817

Kobolds! I don't know why they just rule, this one is a siege engineer, taking advantage of ballistas counting as crossbows, sizing weapons ftw.

>> No.21507835

>>21506584
>I like shapechangers that can actually get a mechanical effect for their shapechanging,
ain't we all?

>> No.21508199

I'd say dragonborn, then warforged, then thri kreen.

I can't honestly think of a better experience than being a lightning breathing dragonborn battlemind.

>> No.21508232

Kobolds!

>> No.21508252

Futanari elvan sorceress

>> No.21508273

>>21497238
This guy beat me to it

>Birdan
>Sqwaukan
>Flappan
>Screechan
>Shiny collectan
>Crazy actan
>Not givan a shitan

>> No.21508292

>>21507835
I have no idea what that means.

>> No.21508332

>>21508252
If somebody tried putting a character into my game with more than one gender, the character would be vetoed. Sans gender issues? Fine.

Homie don't play dat, and no, I'm not going to RP your fetish sex any more than I am anyone elses.

>> No.21508362

>>21508332
Eh, I'd wait till fetishy shit actually happened before I said no.

>> No.21508376

Dragonborn/Lizardfolk

FILTHY THOUGHTS, FILTHY THOUGHTS

>> No.21508397

>>21508362
You don't put a dickgirl in without trying to have fetish stuff happen.

That's a fact.

>> No.21508402

Illithids

>> No.21508423

>>21508332
Never play Eberron then. >>21503666

(The Sharn book has a hilarious infobit about how most of the bordellos are run by shapeshifters).

>> No.21508434

>>21508423
Thanks for reminding me to check Oglaf.

>> No.21508461

The humanoid bear things are pretty cool.

>> No.21508465

>>21508397
Things are not as cut and dry as people say they are on /tg/. Granted, if they called it a futa, I'd quirk a brow. But if their female PC has a dick, I see evil dick wizard plot hooks. If nothing else, it is a good chance for comedy.

>> No.21508472

Highborn Elves, or High Elves, or whatever you want to call them Eladrin. Basically I like elite white skinned, blonde, tall, thin, pointy eared characters who excel in magic.

>> No.21508494

I love me some tribals

>> No.21508543

>>21497097
>favorite nonhuman race
>posts a humanized version of a lizard

>> No.21508596

>>21508543
>tumblr_kwxhh4gsZW1qzkttco

please don't make me choose, OP

>> No.21508619

>>21508596

captcha: Brace yiFtisi

>> No.21508650

The only races I've got in my current setting I'm working on besides the Humans are Dwarves, Thri-Kreen, and Kobolds.

>> No.21508692

>>21508650

Posted a bit too soon, meant to add that that should naturally narrow it down to three choices.

Of those three I definitely prefer Thri-Kreen and Kobolds, but if I had to do one and kill the other than I'd probably go with the Kreen. I'm not a gay insectophile but there's something about Thri-Kreen dick that gets me hard.

>> No.21508699

>>21508650
thri-kreen. no one is ever willing to give em a shot. One of my favourite non-standard fantasy races.

>> No.21508757

Thri Kreen are cool as fuck

>Other races are interesting to them
>Interesting in the kind of way a sentient medium-rare steak is to a human
>They are so rigid in personal offense they will kill you for any slight
>4 fucking arms
>murderlization and brutalation

>> No.21508801

Leonin (Magic the Gathering)

Dragon King (Exalted)

>> No.21510069

___Tengu

>> No.21510388

>>21500565
Have another.

>> No.21510417

I would love nothing more to be the mantis-thing or fire-monster-person. Also skeletons are always nice.

>> No.21510446

>>21507835
>>21503666
>>21500559

Mah Gentlemen of good taste!

You know how it is and what it /d/o...

>> No.21510467

>>21510069
I am incredibly disgusted by this.

>> No.21510476

Gnolls, ever since I played one on a whim and he turned into the best character I've ever played.

>> No.21510482

Orcs is best.

>> No.21510522

>>21506961
Well the original mythology for Naga they are an all male race

if your gonna be a stickler for orginal myth dont go haft way

pleb

>> No.21510530

>>21510467
What can you say? You go to take a bite of that sandwich and mayonnaise just goes all over the place.

>> No.21510577

>>21510522

Please don't talk that way, this is a civilised board.

Female Naga were called Nagini, they were of the same race.

>> No.21510579

>>21510530
That manages to make it even more disgusting, who the cheesecake fucking batman tapdancing christ puts that much mayo on a sandwich. I am shuddering.

>> No.21510919

>>21506961
I'm just going to grab stuff from the wiki because my classical schooling didn't cover more than a few Roman phases. My SO teach in high-school mostly covered general history of man and Swedish cultural history, so admittedly my real knowledge is poor. Feel free to correct me.

In ancient Greek mythology, Lamia (Greek: Λάμια) was a beautiful queen of Libya who became a child-eating daemon. Aristophanes claimed her name derived from the Greek word for gullet (λαιμός; laimos), referring to her habit of devouring children.[1]

Some accounts say she has a serpent's tail below the waist.[2] This popular description of her is largely due to Lamia, a poem by John Keats published in 1819.[3] Antoninus Liberalis uses Lamia as an alternate name for the serpentine drakaina Sybaris; however, Diodorus Siculus describes her as having nothing more than a distorted face.[4]

Later traditions referred to many lamiae; these were folkloric monsters similar to vampires and succubi that seduced young men and then fed on their blood.[5]

Zeus then gave her the ability to remove her eyes. The purpose of this ability is unclear in Diodorus, but other versions state Lamia's ability to remove her eyes came with the gift of prophecy. Zeus did this to appease Lamia in her grief over the loss of her children.[6]

In later stories, Lamia was cursed with the inability to close her eyes so that she would always obsess over the image of her dead children. Some accounts (see Horace, below) say Hera forced Lamia to devour her own children. Myths variously describe Lamia's monstrous (occasionally serpentine) appearance as a result of either Hera's wrath, the pain of grief, the madness that drove her to murder, or - in some rare versions - a natural result of being Hecate's daughter.[7]

>> No.21510936

>>21510919
So from that, it's pretty ambivalent.
Not that it matters to me, really. I'll call it whatever you want me to call it, as long as we both get the picture across that it's a woman with a snake lower half.

>> No.21510996

>>21505425

...whhhhy

;_;

>> No.21511161

>>21510579
A bug woman who is distracted by sucking some dudes dick does.

>> No.21512055

>>21497097

Dragonborn, because of reasons.

>> No.21512117

>>21497097
Lizardfolk.

>> No.21512329

>>21511161

>Implying that is a woman

The pick doesn't show ovipositor, so it could swing either way.

>> No.21512478

Depends on mood. I rotate often, but I like being the only party member of that race at the time but some NPCs of the same race around here and there to stay grounded in the world.
>Dwarf
>Lizardfolk
>Robot
>Flesh Golem
>High Elf
>Warcraft style Troll
>Warcraft style Goblin
>Insectoid fairy
>Spidery things (Drider, Nerubian, once ran just a giant talking spider as a monster race for kicks)

>> No.21512481

Equis, seriously. The Seraph subrace is really nice for its flight, but I prefer the toughness of the Terran. Fuck Ascendant Equis and their high falutan innate magic and wizard favored class.

>> No.21512521

>>21512481
just take the 2 points of LA and play a royal equis. you still get the caster level bump from the ascendant traits.

>> No.21512551

I actually rather enjoy Halfling. Or other Different Sized characters. It gives them a bit of a personality in that people will look at them differently regardless of how you actually are.

>> No.21512946

>>21512481
>>21512521
I actually got the reference. Fuck you both.

>> No.21512962

>>21512329
According to the artist that particular one's a female.

>> No.21513087

>>21501557
now I want to play Fable as a goblin

>> No.21513103

I play one of these.

>> No.21513113

>>21512946
lolwut?

>> No.21513142

Greenskins
Naga/Gorgon

Then anything thats short.

I'm weird.

>> No.21513202

>>21513113
Horse (people) with 4 subraces; Flying, Earth, Magic and a more powerful Royal that has the powers of all four.

>> No.21513246

>>21497267
the hell? its like a centaur but smaller.

>> No.21513265

OPs picture has made me recently reevaluate my priorities, with dragonborn now slotted bizarrely close to the top. Any more like it?

>> No.21513325

The original Alaghi, from AD&D, not the wookie looking later versions or the ape-man looking ones. The super wide broad chested yeti like looking ones with horns from The Complete Book of Humanoids

>> No.21513331 [DELETED] 

Honestly? Dwarves or Warforged/Misc. Machine Men. I like Dwarves because they give zero fucks, live in huge underground fortresses, are master craftsmen, and will fuck up anyone and everyone that screws with them.

Warforged because magic robots are kickass.

[I also, as many residents of /tg/, have dirty, dirty thoughts about Dragonborn and Dragons in general./]

>> No.21513347 [DELETED] 

Honestly? Dwarves or Warforged/Misc. Machine Men. I like Dwarves because they give zero fucks, live in huge underground fortresses, are master craftsmen, and will fuck up anyone and everyone that screws with them.

Warforged because magic robots are kickass.

[Spoiler]I also, as many residents of /tg/, have dirty, dirty thoughts about Dragonborn and Dragons in general.[Spoiler/]

>> No.21513358 [DELETED] 

Honestly? Dwarves or Warforged/Misc. Machine Men. I like Dwarves because they give zero fucks, live in huge underground fortresses, are master craftsmen, and will fuck up anyone and everyone that screws with them.

Warforged because magic robots are kickass.

[Spoiler]I also, as many residents of /tg/, have dirty, dirty thoughts about Dragonborn and Dragons in general.[/Spoiler]

>> No.21513376

Honestly? Dwarves or Warforged/Misc. Machine Men. I like Dwarves because they give zero fucks, live in huge underground fortresses, are master craftsmen, and will fuck up anyone and everyone that screws with them.

Warforged because magic robots are kickass.

I also, as many residents of /tg/, have dirty, dirty thoughts about Dragonborn and Dragons in general.

>> No.21513393

>>21513265

Go to Paheal, Danbooru, or just Google "Dragonborn Rule 34".

>> No.21513396

>>21513265
This further reinforces my theory that the depictions themselves play a big part in what people like. I doubt there's any nonhuman race anybody would dislike if it were drawn exactly how they like, and vice-versa.

>> No.21513397

>>21513376
>>21513347
>>21513331
lol lrn2format

>> No.21513410

warforged, aasimars/tieflings, dorfs, catfolk, reptile-people of all kinds, special mention to the corgen.

>> No.21513534

I always play the race the Gm just made.

Guaranted to get buffs next patch.

>> No.21513548

>>21513393
>not listing e621.net

>> No.21513587

>>21497097
Torn between Greenskins and Dragonborn

>> No.21515605

>>21512481
>>21512521

I like you two, you die last.

>> No.21515632

Robots/golems. High comedic potential and a detachment from traditionally human things that even nonhumans do in most settings. Plus CLANK CLANK BEEP

>> No.21515658

Kobolds. Just, Kobolds.

Also, goblins are hilarious.

>> No.21515667

>>21512117
that anatomy is just terrible.

>> No.21515678

Kobolds.

>> No.21515686

>>21502193
i love spider mechs

>> No.21515717

Ratmen.

>> No.21515725

>>21515686
>Spider mech
>4 legs
wat?

>> No.21515733

>>21515725
I was talking about the picture the other anon posted.

>> No.21515748

Big, sexy, muscly dragon men.

>> No.21515751

>>21515733
Oh, my apologies then.

>Spider mech
>6 legs
wut?

>> No.21515765

>>21497287
KOBOLD!!! WOOT! yea, that's right Kobold master race. Take a step into our homes, see what shit we bring

>> No.21515796

gnoll is best beastman

>> No.21515876

>>21515717
Ratman Bro, dumpin' rats.

>> No.21515886

>>21515876

>> No.21515891

>>21515886
It is not a big folder though

>> No.21515896

>>21515891

>> No.21515904

>>21515896

>> No.21515908

>>21515904

>> No.21515942

>>21515908
And I'm out

>> No.21516053

>>21515632
I AM A ROBOT. WHAT IS LOVE?

>> No.21516074

Dear elegan/t g/entlemen, I'm in need of your advice.
I was arranging my fantasy pics folder (task long overdue) along the lines 'people_elf_wizard' and 'creature_dragon_winged' when I came across a gnoll and had no idea what to classify it (or a kobold, or an orc). So, in your opinion what fantasy races are people and aren't?

>> No.21516697

>>21516074
Well, depends on what you interpret as people? Are gnolls intelligent? Are they worthy of being played as a character?

I would personally define all three of your examples as people, even though I hate orcs and think they should only ever be of generic enemy race status. But they're all intelligent to some degree or another, are humanoid, and could be roleplayed. You wouldn't roleplay an ooze, or a rustmonster (Unless they were enlightened, then go on ahead).

>> No.21516737

>>21516074
I sort my hon-human characters by Genus. IE: Dragontits are reptilian, so their folder goes into the same sub-folder as Lizardmen and certain dragons, and Gnolls are Feliforms, so they're in the same folder with catfolk and Rakashakalakashaka.

For creatures like Orcs and Goliaths, I but them in a sub-folder for 'near-humans'. Warforged and Golems have their own Constructs subfolder.

Answering your question: If it's sentient, it's human enough for the sake for categorization, but try and keep it seperate from actual humans for ease of finding it.

>> No.21516820

>>21516074

Gnolls are people too, maaaaaaaan.

But seriously, a good metric for the purpose of reference pictures and such a categorization would probably be:

Is it intelligent like people? Can it utilize similar tools/armor/etc?

Because while dragons are intelligent they can't really function in a human city without shapeshifting. But on the other hand, assuming there's not a whole kill-on-sight thing going on a gnoll or orc or kobold can totally function in a human city, wear similar armor and wield similar weapons, etc.

Basically if it looks like it could walk around the city, be a guard, a barkeep, etc, it's people.

>> No.21516867

>>21516074

Pretty Easy. person_human and person_humanoid.

>> No.21516924

Eees askin wot da best race iz.
Stupid umie 'course its Da Orkz.

>> No.21517159

>But on the other hand, assuming there's not a whole kill-on-sight thing going on a gnoll or orc or kobold can totally function in a human city

no they cant
especially not >totally

that would be like saying intelligent dogs would be no problem in a urban area, or monkeys running around town wouldnt cause problems

first of all THEY ARE NOT HUMAN
the problem with that is not acculturation or something, the problem is simply that they are of a different species and therefore the more "humanoid"or anthropomorphized they are the more they will be a problem for each other, and the only way to avoid frequent strife, conflicts, wars, riots and extermination campaigns would be to have a hierarchic structure or heavy segregation

the other obvious thing is that they smell, they are fucked up hairy disease carriers and they breed like rats

there is no reason they would not be kept as slaves by the elves and humans, or exterminated

you simply cant let wild animals roam around a urban area, if they are of human level intelligence and ability thats 100 times worse

humans dont even tolerate other humans, why would they ever tolerate a gnoll, unless its owned and trained or has a good reason to be there backed up by shit like paperwork

same goes for humans in orc/gnoll/cobold/wathever majority areas

one way they could function would be if they are a population that is bred for a function, kept by someone the way youd keep fighting dogs or war horses, or if its a small population that has some specific role in local culture or religion etc...

>> No.21517178

>>21517159
>applying any of that tl;dr to fantasy

>> No.21517185

>>21516737
>dragon
>reptilian

Really now, it makes as much sense as reptilian dinosaurs. Fucking magic, too lazy to 'splain shit.

>> No.21517207

>>21517178

well it would make it better fantasy

>> No.21517237

>>21498709
Yep, many species evolved or developed forms of no verbal communication. Be they pheremones(To many creatures to list), color pallet(chameleon, many insects), or facial movements(Chimps, Humans)

>> No.21517258

Lizardfolk

>> No.21517272

Half-dragons.

>> No.21517338

>>21517159

>the problem with that is not acculturation or something [...]

I by functioning in a city I meant that they could utilize the city. As in you know, walk in doorways, utilize facilities, walk down the street without taking it up entirely, wear clothing and armor, etc. Basically if their physiological structure can accomodate all the things people do.

I was taking the question in *absence of social concerns*

But hey, since we're here..

>the other obvious thing is that they smell, they are fucked up hairy disease carriers and they breed like rats

Haha, what. You're really projecting here, bro. Something that isn't human is by no means required to smell or be diseased, or breed like rats. At least not any more than any other filthy muck raking human peasants.

People just didn't smell good in general until the ability to bathe became not-a-luxury.

>there is no reason they would not be kept as slaves by the elves and humans, or exterminated

Unless of course, said humans and/or elves are sane and reasonable people who can work with others instead of carrying out genocidal campaigns but obviously you're not the kind of person who can go without fantastic racism, I guess.

But you could at least be entertaining about it. Sarge manages to amuse in her all-caps rants on goblins and why they need to be exterminated.

>humans dont even tolerate other humans, why would they ever tolerate a gnoll, unless its owned and trained or has a good reason to be there backed up by shit like paperwork

Humans totally tolerate other humans. We'd all be dead otherwise. Tons of nations have access to nuclear weapons capable of ending human civilization in a matter of minutes and yet we endure. People are not so ridiculously hateful as you'd like to believe, anon.

Just because humanity is capable of incredible cruelty and violence does not make it the norm - we abhor these acts because it isn't.

>> No.21519394

>>21497410
I'm going to have to check this out
oh sweet there's a digital version

>>21497555
hammerhead-humanoid
hell yeah

>>21498709
>>21498632
you are the best, /tg/

>> No.21520335

>>21497346

Man, those snakes are adorable.

>> No.21520362

>>21497097

>> No.21520427

>>21497274
They don't need them. They use traps. Yeah, you could say that that's not fair, but it's something they get a bonus to, and a thing that, by their fluff, they hold in high regard, as a sort of racial art to be mastered; if they don't use some convoluted fucking death traps, then you're doing something wrong.

>> No.21520439

>>21515748
/v/ plz leave.

>> No.21520499

>>21520362
Go to the website mentioned in >>21513548, type "aleisandra" into the search box sans quotation marks. You may very well like what you find.

>> No.21520679

My favorite is Dragonborns.

My favorite to play is a Kookaburra Tengu.

You know you wanna troll that hard.

>> No.21520709

>>21520499
This world.

It is a cruel one.

>> No.21520782

>>21497402
Eh?

>> No.21520862

>>21520499
>dickgirls

>> No.21521023

>>21516074
Is it a biped? Is it a quadruped?

>> No.21523225

>>21517272
Mmm-mmm. Sauce?

>> No.21523322

TEIFLINGS!

>> No.21523373

Half-orcs. Especially my fighter that wishes he was human who constantly bags on all the non-humans in our party.

>> No.21523740

>>21517338
sauce on comic? Reverse image search tells me nothing!

Also, Kobold followed by pic related.

>> No.21523842

>>21523740
Comic is Dark Places, http://darkplacescomic.com/.

>> No.21524329

>>21517159

None of what you are saying makes any sense. I, personally, would be completely cool with living down the street from an Ogre family, and so would a lot of people I know. Just because they look different does not make extreme racial violence normal.

What the fuck are you on?

>> No.21524495

>>21524329

>Just because they look different does not make extreme racial violence normal.

Tell that to the Conquistadors.

>> No.21524549

>>21524495

I mean they would obviously have to deal with even more racism than human minorities, but it doesn't mean that "ENSLAVE EXTERMINATE RAHOAH" would be the only possible outcome.

>> No.21524727

Tsochari.

>> No.21524830

>>21520862
>not having an account so you can blacklist the things you don't want to see, e.g. all the goddamn ponies

>> No.21525456

>>21524495
one example doesnt make it normal. it does happen a lot, but people working together happens a lot too.

>> No.21527016

Bump to save pics.

Hopefully they're not all dragondickgirls.

>> No.21527743

What the fuck is it with /tg/ and Dragonborn? Seriously.

More on topic: Skeletons.

>> No.21527787

>>21527743
/tg/ is scaly. Also, dragons.

>> No.21527839

Gnomes or Orcs, tough choice.

>> No.21528389

harpies, semi-outsiders(such as tieflings), and dopplegangers
typically the races with more alien mindsets, that can 'fit in' if they try

>> No.21531065

>>21501143
>reptiles
>with breasts
>not actually mammals

>> No.21531739

Ducks.

>> No.21531786

>>21531739
Best DoD race ever

>> No.21531805

>>21531739
How can anyone take that seriously? Totally shits all over immersion for me.

>> No.21531820

>>21500617
Is there an uncropped version of this?

>> No.21531839

>>21531786
They are fucking great with orange sauce.

>> No.21531884

>>21531805
Because fantasy RPG has to be an exclusive club for Tolkien races only? If you are playing with a silly group they will fit in and you can make them work with a good roleplayer/GM.

Playing as Donald the Barbarian could also make for a fun challenge.

>> No.21531970

>>21531786
Originally an injoke from some 70's RPG called Runequest. When porting the system to Sweden the Swedes decided to keep the Ducks.

>>21531839
There is an actual recipe in the fluff for them because humans are barbaric like that.

>> No.21531981

>>21531805
You talking shit about Glorantha?

>> No.21534481

>>21531820
Try /r/ or /d/.

>> No.21534597

>>21513246
It may just be a small centaur.

>> No.21534756

>>21513246
>>21534597
>No one thinks it either a very small child or a mule-centaur.

My favourite is Tieflings, mostly for the look.

>> No.21535475

>>21523373

I really thought you were gonna say niggers

>> No.21535498

>>21534756
>>21534597

>Those tits
>Child

God, imagine when she grows up

>> No.21535656

>>21534481
I will when this thread dies, but I'd rather not make a new thread if I don't have to

>> No.21535724

>>21531065

>Liking milk squirting fat orbs
>Being romantically involved with a lizard woman who's clearly a pig disgusting mammal in disguise
>Not chasing after the egg laying hips of a pure dragoness

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action