Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

/vt/ is now archived.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 52 KB, 600x600, 1335978350301.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
19717311 No.19717311 [DELETED]  [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

I need advice on running a modern game. Is it possible to do in a setting where the PCs aren't above the law in some way? My group is is rotating GMs and it's my turn next and I am thinking about various campaign ideas. I like the idea of a modern game but every time I try to come up with a mission I can't think of anything the PCs can actually pull of in modern society. I realize its my D&D brain taking over and I've been trying to come up with less violent mission types but in a 6 player party there are bound to be characters built around combat who will get itchy trigger fingers or feel they should have made different characters. Even if I can get some of them to lose the D&D adventurer mindset for the game I know for a fact I cant get all of them too. I'm sure if I just tell them to not make combat focused character there are people who wont agree and I'll need start the idea process over again.

Typical D&D adventurer bullshit behaviour will get the ETF set at them in modern society and police corruption is extremely low in our country. They make on average 90,000 a year average before overtime, pay duties and benefits payed for by the federal government which spend 12.6 Billion on it last year alone in a country of 34 Million. Not the pittance municipally payed police in America get which most games seem to assume is the norm and rely on the assumption of poor funding to justify low competence.

What I am looking for is ideas for missions the party can do that are not outright legal but still interesting enough to be worth doing. The only catch is that they have to be able to happen in Canada because on initally pitching a modern game to some group members they insisted it happen in our city (Toronto).

>> No.19717337

>>19717311
What system are you all using? This matters tenfold.

>> No.19717340

Detective mystery.

Characters are modern PI's tracking down lost children, dogs and other missions, with the occaisional police cold case.

>> No.19717364

Be Criminals.

Let them sandbox in their own city. Go to the mall, let them "case the joint" in person, and then go home and RP that shit.

Bonus points if you actually go and pull the blueprints from the local council archives or whatever it is in canada.

>> No.19717395
File: 46 KB, 649x854, lenin5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
19717395

I've had similar issues trying to come up with ideas for a modern campaign. I've always given up because like you said, every game assumes American style weapon & ammo availabilities as well as poorly trained police outside of big cities and poorly funded police inside of big cities. It's like complaining about not being able to get federal money in Sim City while having to pay for things the federal government typically does and still not being able to raise tax above 11% without everyone moving away. The Devs admit its an issue for the mindset of some players but they don't want to rebalance the game for a smaller portion of their audience.

If your group doesn't want to do a game set in America or some third world shit hole I suggest not running a modern game if you are insistent on competent authorities existing.

>> No.19717416

>>19717311
funny thing is that most American police are competent.

4/10, try harder

>> No.19717423

>>19717337

GURPS. We like it because we only need to know one system so when it's someone else's turn to GM we can shift genres or setting types without having to learn new rules.

>> No.19717439

>>19717416

The American people disagree

>> No.19717479

>>19717423

In that case yeah you are boned. Without making players agents of the state there is no way around legal problems and even then there would be inquires boards unless it involved some major disaster happening like an alien attack. Also that would make it a not particularly modern game.

>> No.19717493

>>19717439
No we don't, just edgy teens

>> No.19717496

>>19717439
As an American, who lives among Americans in America, I disagree

>> No.19717504

My WoD games are like this but of course my players are investigating hidden shit, so they are not in "mainstream view" if that makes sense.

>> No.19717519

>>19717395

>It's like complaining about not being able to get federal money in Sim City while having to pay for things the federal government typically does and still not being able to raise tax above 11% without everyone moving away.

I know THAT FEEL

Also to contribute to the actual topic:

You are boned OP. This is why there are not very many pure modern RPGs. The ones with magic use it as an excuse for why PCs can get away with stuff by giving them either secret society special treatment or spells to cover their asses. Other wise the RPG dynamic does not work in the modern world.

>> No.19717534

>>19717496

As an American living in America you must live in a different state than me.

>> No.19717543

>>19717519

>This is why there are not very many pure modern RPGs. The ones with magic use it as an excuse for why PCs can get away with stuff by giving them either secret society special treatment or spells to cover their asses. Other wise the RPG dynamic does not work in the modern world.

QFT /thread

>> No.19717563

On a side note, maybe you should just let the players stupid shit catch up with them until they learn their lesson about role-playing people who aren't demi-gods in a world designed to cater to them like DnD

>> No.19717567

Few off the top of my mind.

- Party is short on rent for the month and while at the convenience store one them finds a missing persons report/ wanted persons ad with a reward. A few of the PCs have seen this person recently.

- Move drugs/ illegal weapons for bikers/ mafia/ powerful gang and must do their best to prevent them or vehicle being searched by cops or attacked by opposing gang.

- An old eccentric wants their basement cleaned of rats and repaired. Turns out the rats are homeless people.

>> No.19717569

>>19717311
They are contractors hired by a corporation to do corporate espionage, so no killing, but things like hacking, stealing information, tailing people.

If this was America I'd have them work as contractors or something.

>> No.19717583

>Toronto

Cross-border trade in contraband. Move dope south, guns north. Compete with established cartels, duck the feds, try to avoid too much scrutiny, make contacts amongst the rude boys in Toronto. Overland or over water? New England or Michigan? Stake out a turf and defend it, or treat it like a proper business?

Should give the combat-onry crowd something to do, while also engaging the rest of them. There's already a river of dope, money, and guns, so what's one more little stream? Allows them to engage in criminality without immediately becoming a gigantic fucking target.

>> No.19717631
File: 216 KB, 1024x659, ally_wallpaper_by_shiniez-d4m66ak.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
19717631

Look at Call of Cthulhu and Delta Green.

You don't have to do the rules; but both books talk quite a bit about how "investigators" need to work within and around the confines of the law.

You can make it easier on yourself by setting your characters in the 20s or 30s, or even up to the 70s; before there are national fingerprint databases and DNA testing and cameras everywhere and shit. Furthermore, it's easier to get away with crimes if you don't have an obvious connection or motive to the victims--it's why serial killers are so hard to catch. If the players are trying to rob a bank to get money to buy illegal guns with, they're basically fucking themselves; but if they're burning down a random house because cultists were hiding inside, it's a lot easier to get away with that sort of thing.

>> No.19717678
File: 209 KB, 600x501, derp derp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
19717678

>>19717534
>The police in my state do a horrible job. Therefor, all Police in one of the largest countries in the world are horrible.

Outstanding logic, chump. And here I thought only Eurofags regularly spewed such American ignorance.

>> No.19717701

>>19717519

Good god I hate that. People assume the moment a character pulls off his first supernatural trick, he suddenly becomes some sort of ├╝bermensch, ungovernable by his fellow man.

It's bullshit. A supernatural character who grew up in a modern society will fundamentally think like a modern citizen. If somebody steals your car, you call the cops. If he runs over your wife, you testify in court to make sure he never gets out of jail. You get a job, you pay taxes.

That's how a member of a modern civilization thinks. You don't suddenly become an island unto yourself just because you have one bizarre abnormality.

Basically what I'm saying is that almost every game White Wolf has ever proposed ought to be played like a slice of life story. So should unknown armies. So should mutants and masterminds. God, people are stupid!

>> No.19717709
File: 69 KB, 450x337, 1338159317729.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
19717709

>>19717678

>The police in my state do a good job. Therefor, all Police in one of the largest countries in the world are good.

Works both ways.

>> No.19717758

>>19717701

That's the problem though. Its the dynamic that almost every other genre of rpgs uses and unless one of those games is the first someone plays and goodness forbid they played 3.5 first, there is almost no hope of being able to get a whole group of players to come around to it.

>> No.19717794

OP here, I've been convinced not to do a modern campaign. I'll be back in 20 minutes with my next half baked idea.

>> No.19717843

>>19717709
>>19717678
Can you both agree that sweeping generalizations are trainwrecks in the making and just fuck already?

>> No.19717878

>>19717794

do pulp. the 1920's. modern enough that it is still recognizable but still enough wiggle room to add in whatever you want.

>> No.19717909
File: 23 KB, 200x303, Indiana_Jones_in_Raiders_of_the_Lost_Ark.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
19717909

>>19717878

I heard someone was looking for riches and glory.

>> No.19717943

>>19717878

Not OP but fellow Canuck, OP has made it pretty clear that he doesn't want to run a criminal game and there is nothing at all in 1920s Toronto other than people smuggling whisky to the US. Literally, it was barely over half a million people back then and nothing resembling the modern city the players have been said to be insistent on.

>> No.19717991

>>19717943

he already said he wasn't going to use his original idea. I don't see why it has to be limited to Toronto.

>> No.19718017

>>19717991

>The only catch is that they have to be able to happen in Canada because on initally pitching a modern game to some group members they insisted it happen in our city (Toronto).

This was in the OP. OP said he was not keeping his original idea in that he would not be doing a modern game at all. You need to improve your reading comprehension.

>> No.19718408

Set it during the 70s, when the rush of americans crossing the border to escape the draft clashed with the natives.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action