Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
[ERROR] No.19322911 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

My group for Pathfinder have found themselves in dire financial straights. They've become involved in a violent Tengu gang and are now squatting in a derelict warehouse by the city port, so I've never run a successful city adventure. In most of my games I've only had basic settlements that the players used to resupply their food and ammunition and potentially buy a decent sword.

So my question for /tg/ is how to make a city campaign fun. They certainly cannot leave the confines of the city as the wilderness would surely kill them (the group is gathering enough gold to purchase basic gear and have resorted to petty theft to feed themselves.)

I'm thinking of printing off a map that I'm using so that they can see where they are and mark off any landmarks they've explored. Since it's a 3.x game I've written a dungeon scenario for a grotto beneath a basilica. But how would I get my players to become interested in attempting to climb the social ranks and possibly act with more initiative about overcoming their situation besides throwing dungeon crawls at them?

We're all fairly new to pen and paper rpgs and a lot of the group still gets stuck in crpg mentality, it's somewhat hard to break.

>> No.19323057

Play nWOD if you want your players to rp.

>> No.19323100

>>19323057
>Play nWOD if you want your players to rp.
That's just silly. You can role play fine with D&D. Granted, if the game is going to be largely devoid of combat, then there are probably more appropriate systems to use, but A) he never said anything about forsaking that type of thing and B) it's easier to play a system people are already familiar with. Granted, you don't want to get stuck permanently on one game because of point B, but with relatively newbies it makes sense to let people find their role-gaming feet before switching systems around on them.

>> No.19323203

Offhand, I'd say find a way to tie them into things. People don't exist in isolation. They have relatives and friends. There are people who are part of the same movement (like members of the same church), or who work together, or at least used to (people who used to be in the same party). An old buddy gets in a scrape with the thieves guild and needs somebody to keep him safe / vouch for him / make a deal on his behalf. A relative dies and leaves something to a PC, but the inheritance goes missing, and the PCs have to figure out who stole or embezzled it, track him down, and take it back. Was it an inside job? Did the thief have help from the lawyer? Did the relative owe money to unscrupulous characters? Did the PCs estranged brother take what wasn't his? And so forth. In the process of these scenarios, have the PCs rub elbows with characters they will encounter again in the future. (and which will provide future adventure hooks). Maybe the guy ultimately behind the missing inheritance was an elected official (a tax collector or something) who mistook the PC as a dead beat who wouldn't have the wherewithal to track down his missing money, or the ability to cause problems even if he did. He's been doing this sort of thing for a while, and when the PCs expose his corruption, a political type offers to get him a job on the town council (which doesn't entail much, at least not in terms of game play, but gets him into powerful circles and provides more adventure opportunities).

>> No.19324191

bump

>> No.19324282

I tend to go for a large event that gives the players a small modicum of fame (the city is hit by a surprise attack, the party fights off the attackers in their area). This gains the attention of powerful people in the city who seek to enlist their services. In this way missions can be assigned that take them where you want them to go. The groups they help can work to draw them into the story, an honorary membership that later results in more calls for help from that group, while at the same time offering a place to rest and allies to call upon if necessary.

Think about giving them non-gear rewards. A good example would be a dilapidated tavern. They can personalise it and it's also a source of money, but to do that they need money.

Also focus on the individuals, the rogue in the party might be a member of the thieves guild and working his way up. As he gains rank he gets access to minions (lower ranked thieves) as well as information and secrets about the city.

Hope that helps.

>> No.19327235

>>19324282
>>19323203
>>19323100

OP here, /tg/ is still the best board on 4chan in my books.

>> No.19327648

First things first, ask your players if they have any ideas.

Try reading some medieval city history. For instance, in The Medieval Machine there's a story about three companies with waterwheels on a river, and on is shafting the other two. You could have the pcs hired to help plead the other companies' case, or maybe guerrilla attack their mills instead*. Or the invasion of Paris (13th century I think) by wolves. Seriously.

What's the Worst thing that could Happen? Then have it happen. Don't overuse it but it's a great way to start new plot arcs.

>>19323203

This is good too

*the downstream guys won lots of court cases, but the upstream ones ignored them and bought them out.

>> No.19329682

>Castran
>Means "They Castrate" in Spanish
>The City of Those Who Castrate
>mfw party wants to visit that city

ISHYGY DIGGY

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action