Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

If you can see this message, the SSL certificate expiration has been fixed.
Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 245 KB, 900x1500, HatersGonnaHate.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
16595960 No.16595960 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

New 40K house rules:

1) Your army must be painted, no exceptions.
2) No two units may be equipped the same way.
3) Heavy/special weapons are limited to one per type, per unit.
4) If you take longer than 5 minutes to reference a rule, it immediately goes to a roll off.
5) If there is any argument about a rule, it immediately goes to roll-off
6) Turns are timed based on points limits. You have 15 minutes to move, shoot, and assault at 1500 points.
7) Time taken to resolve actions taken during the other players turn (wounds, saves, etc.) are deducted from your time.
8) Handicapping is in effect for newer codexes. Armies which have not had an update or new codex for longer than two years gain an extra 250 points to spend on additional units.
9) No whining, no complaining, and everybody brings their own beer.

>> No.16596013

>7) Time taken to resolve actions taken during the other players turn (wounds, saves, etc.) are deducted from your time.

Do you have a 'Being a raging faggot and deliberately rolling slowly to waste time' sub rule? Like Whipping them with those measure sticks. When we play there's a lot of whipping with measure sticks. I started wearing leather gloves to play.

>> No.16596018

>>16595960

I GOT A BETTER ONE.

1) DON'T PLAY WITH BITCH NIGGAS

>> No.16596041

>>16595960

2) No two units may be equipped the same way.
3) Heavy/special weapons are limited to one per type, per unit.

Mate, I play Sisters of battle, I don't have enough OPTIONS to pull that off. I have squads that take 4 special/heavy weapons but I only have 2 types.

Heck, I can't even manage that with troops unless I take several without a full complement of special weapons.

>> No.16596072

>>16596018

These aren't actually our group's house rules, just some shit we came up with after drinking and bitching about how much tournaments at the LGS suck, and jokingly (or not) wanted to submit to the tournament organizers under suggestions on the LGS forum.

Most of the guys we play with have cool armies and lists, and know the rules well enough, and we have fun. Playing tournaments anywhere else is like pulling teeth.

>> No.16596081

>>16596041
And other armies would be in a similar spot. Tau? Yeah, Firewarriors only come in one flavor.

>> No.16596089
File: 7 KB, 199x199, Cyrus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
16596089

>3) Heavy/special weapons are limited to one per type, per unit.
So only one sniper rifle in my unit? Get out, OP.

>> No.16596102

>>16596081
>>16596041
This alludes to the hidden 10th rule. Play Spess Mehreens or get out.

>> No.16596105

>>16596081
>And other armies would be in a similar spot. Tau? Yeah, Firewarriors only come in one flavor.
No, see, what you do is you give one Fire Warrior team a pulse carbine, one Fire Warrior team a Shas'ui, and the third Fire Warrior team a Shas'ui with blind grenades.

See? All different.

>> No.16596122

>>16595960
>5) If there is any argument about a rule, it immediately goes to roll-off
I don't think that BS 5 models hit on a 2+. I think they hit on a 3+.

I now have a 50% chance of ruining your BS 5.

>> No.16596153

>>16596041
>>16596081

See rule 8. I'm sure exceptions could be made for SoB, Tau, and other units where it's either not possible or not practical.

Plague Marines with 2 plasma guns isn't the problem here, Long Fangs with 5 missile launchers is. Last tournament army count

5 SW
5 BA
2 SM
1 CSM (me)
1 Eldar (my friend, who did relatively well)
1 Necrons (also a guy I know who runs Destroyer spam)
1 Tyranids (the most bitter of the bunch)

I think there were some Grey Knights too. Only the last four armies (basically the guys I know) had painted armies. No Guard, surprisingly.

>> No.16596169

>>16596153
>People playing powerful codices that don't fit the army's fluff
>Severely limit all players because

>> No.16596182

>>16596153

Rule 8: Does not apply to Sisters of Battle. They are technically the most new codex out.

But yeah, those rules kinda make a lot of units from a lot of codexes ticked off. Even Space Marines want more than 1 sniper rifle in scout squads.

>> No.16596195

>>16596122

You would probably be asked to GTFO, if you were serious. You could create an infinite loop here pal.

>That wounds on a 2+!
>No it doesn't!
>rolls
>See, it does!
>No, it doesn't!
>rolls
>I guess you win this time - except you don't!
>rolls

>> No.16596209
File: 714 KB, 800x818, 1291100514131.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
16596209

>>16596195
>You would probably be asked to GTFO, if you were serious. You could create an infinite loop here pal.
You're trying to get mad at a 40k player for bending the rules.

>> No.16596226

>>16596153
Then just make it a rule for Space Wolves.

You're just going to annoy people who play weaker armies by forcing them to argue why they should get out of this rule. And then you're going to piss of other players who were forced to abide by the rule, or did of their own volition, by not enforcing it for certain people. It's just a bad idea.

>> No.16596229

How about another rule?

10. None of these rules are necessary if every body is having a good time and having fun.

or playing anything but 40K

>> No.16596247

>>16596072
> Playing tournaments anywhere else is like pulling teeth.
> Playing tournaments is like pulling teeth.

Yeah, competitive wargaming - no.

>> No.16596253

>>16596229
Quit pretending /tg/ has spoilers. We don't need them and we don't want them.

>> No.16596269

>>16596226

It would probably annoy Space Wolves players too, but fuck them right?

I saw a guy who built his Wolves knowing absolutely nothing about the game, painted them up, and had all kinds of runes and stuff hand done on the vehicles. It was fucking glorious. They're not all shitbags.

>> No.16596270

Necrons could not field an army, simply after rule 2.

>> No.16596296

>>16596269
Cool that he made them look good, but the rule is designed to limit grognard/cheesy/beardy armies of gunlines

>> No.16596408

>>16595960
OP is a serious faggot and should leave rule-making to sober people who aren't whiny circle-jerking bitches.

>1) Your army must be painted, no exceptions.
Yeah, fuck you people with new armies.
>2) No two units may be equipped the same way.
Fuck you too, Necron players
>3) Heavy/special weapons are limited to one per type, per unit.
Fuck you too, Scouts and Lootaz
>4) If you take longer than 5 minutes to reference a rule, it immediately goes to a roll off.
And fuck you people who haven't memorized your codex and the BRB and the errata and the FAQ

>> No.16596417

>>16596408

>5) If there is any argument about a rule, it immediately goes to roll-off
And fuck you people whose armies have crazy combinations of rules (I'm looking at you Orkz!)
>6) Turns are timed based on points limits. You have 15 minutes to move, shoot, and assault at 1500 points
Fuck you again, Orkz! And throw in Infantry IG, and swarm 'Nids with you. Fuck you all! I don't give a fuck if you have over 100 models that look great! Fuck you all!
>7) Time taken to resolve actions taken during the other players turn (wounds, saves, etc.) are deducted from your time.
Fuck you people with all those required different wargears! Fuck you hard for being in different Wound Allocation Groups! And fuck you twice for not bringing a stop watch!
>8) Handicapping is in effect for newer codexes. Armies which have not had an update or new codex for longer than two years gain an extra 250 points to spend on additional units.
Fuck you for having a new Codex. You must be some kind of fucking meta-gamer! Also Fuck you, Sisters of Battle! Now you get a mediocre army AND your opponent gets a free Land Raider! Now make me a sammich!
>9) No whining, no complaining, and everybody brings their own beer.
Fuck you for not liking a bunch of rules that are born entirely out of drunken whining and complaining! If you don't want to play with a bunch of stupid arbitrary pussy-faced rules, then go play with mature players who can deal with shit. This group isn't for you!

That about cover your thought process, OP?

>> No.16596427
File: 9 KB, 200x229, 1310348479352.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
16596427

Fuck Space Wolves players.

But fuck IG tourney lists even more.

>> No.16596435

>4) If you take longer than 5 minutes to reference a rule, it immediately goes to a roll off.
>5) If there is any argument about a rule, it immediately goes to roll-off

bad bad bad bad bad ideas there junior

>well I know I cant do this..but if I delay long enough or argue enough about it I got a 50/50 chance of it going in my favor

>> No.16596437

Just downloaded Space Wolf codex to see what the fuss was about... what the actual fuck? Normal Marine devastator squad = 90 points for four, 15 points to give them missile launchers, Long fang squad=15 points per model, 10 points for a missile launcher. Higher leadership too.

How... how did that happen?

>> No.16596444

>>16596018
well there goes all your opponents

>> No.16596452
File: 58 KB, 248x244, 4chan Doubles IG.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
16596452

>>16596437
Here's the FAQ.
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m800008a_FAQ_SpaceWolves_2009

>> No.16596461

>>16596437
Long Fangs are veterans. Devestators are not.

Also, Space Wolves do not get Heavy Weapons in their tactical (Grey Hunter) squads or their Blood Claws.

>> No.16596476

>>16596461
>Also, Space Wolves do not get Heavy Weapons in their tactical (Grey Hunter) squads or their Blood Claws.
I've never heard the Internet complain about that.

>> No.16596480

>>16596296
>but the rule is designed to limit grognard/cheesy/beardy armies of gunlines
A good way to do that is not play with grognard/cheesy/beardy jack-asses.

>> No.16596500

>>16596437
My guess is that they decided early in 5e to power up marines in the next edition, so they made the specialist marines at that power level so that their books wouldn't age as fast.

>> No.16596505

>>16596476
That's because they find the exchange to be acceptable.

>> No.16596546

>>16596480
>Don't play against cheesy/beardy opponents

Would help if half of the hobby wasn't of the sincere opinion that "it's in the codex, it can't be cheese. No way. None of the IG tourney lists are broken, they only win all the time because they're more skilled!"

>> No.16596557

>>16596452
But 'what the actual fuck?' apparently isn't one of the FAQs... I'm kinda surprised, actually.
>>16596461
>Long Fangs are veterans
And so veterans are cheaper than non-veterans?

>> No.16596571

>>16596546
~cough~far more than half~cough~

>> No.16596576

>>16596557
I'm mainly referring to the better access to equipment and higher leadership as well as the skill to shoot at two different targets.

The cheaper cost is probably because if it were higher, people would just use Preds.

>> No.16596589

4) If you take longer than 5 minutes to reference a rule, it immediately goes to a roll off.
5) If there is any argument about a rule, it immediately goes to roll-off

tl;dr "I have a 50% chance of saying any shit I want and passing it through."

Continue being that guy, op.

>> No.16596603

>>16596546
Addendum

"Certain armies win more, therefore they are more fun, therefore I will only play them"

>> No.16596604

>>16596576

Splitting fire with your squads is pretty awesome. People would definitely play Long Fangs at Dev prices.

>> No.16596627

>>16596604
>>16596557

I also forgot that you can ONLY get 6 in a squad and Space Wolves can't Combat Squad. The Split Fire is basically like combat squading your Devs, but with no ablative wounds and only one squad to chew through rather than two.

>> No.16596640
File: 10 KB, 207x243, Tau XV89.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
16596640

>>16596604
>Splitting fire
I didn't know Long Fangs could do that. I need to get this Codex.

>> No.16596675

>>16596640
Long Fangs could always do that. But now it's tied to the Squad Leader's need to still be alive. So you can either take out one of your heavy weapons, or lose the ability to split fire. It's a painful choice when you take just one casualty in your Long Fangs.

This is why I like to put a Wolf Guard in Termie Armor in with them. Hell, one of them also has a Cyclone Missile Launcher so I can crank out 7 missiles from that squad per turn.

>> No.16596679
File: 20 KB, 300x300, Tau in the grim darkness.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
16596679

>>16596640
Speaking of that -- what is Jaws of the World Wolf?

>> No.16596709

>>16596679

Psychic Power:

24" Line that ignores terrain. Any monstrous creature, beast, cavalry, or infantry models touched take an initiative test. Fail = removed from play. Monstrous creatures can take a -1 due to size. 6 is auto fail.

>> No.16596715

>>16596709
Vehicles take a penetrating hit, I think.

>> No.16596719

>>16596679

DRAW A LINE ON THE BOARD.

EVERYTHING THAT LINE TOUCHES *DIES*.

>> No.16596721

>>16596679
Draw a straight line from the Rune Priest 24" in any direction. Non-vehicle models touched by the line have to test initiative. If they fail, they dead. Monstrous creatures subtract one from the dice roll, which still doesn't really help any poor Carnifexes who happen to be in the way...

>> No.16596724

>1) You can bring an unpainted squad or squads three times without any repercussions. The fourth time you will not be allowed to field that squad or squads. Paint your shit.

>2) Anyone who is an excessive faggot about rules more than once will not be informed that the next meetup will consist of the beardiest netlists the group can find.

>3) Anyone who brings netlists to casual games more than once will be asked to rewrite their list. Anyone who changes one weapon out for another and says "there, it's not cheese anymore" will be sat out for that session.

>> No.16596740

>>16596724
>will be sat on for that session
ftfy

>> No.16596744

1) If your model is destroyed you must set it on fire
2) Fire
3) Do it

>> No.16596758

>>16596715

Vehicles are unaffected.

>> No.16596767

>>16596724
>3) Anyone who brings netlists to casual games more than once will be asked to rewrite their list. Anyone who changes one weapon out for another and says "there, it's not cheese anymore" will be sat out for that session.

Want to have fun? Play a shitty army! THAT IS FUN!!!

Also, stop liking what I don't like!

>> No.16596773

>>16595960
0/10

>> No.16596781

>>16596758
So they are, I stand corrected. I was thinking of the Double 6's from the Ork SAG, I think, as I most recently played Orks before switching to Iron Hands (Space Wolves Codex)

>> No.16596787

Anyone notice IG lists are either disgustingly powerful or plain awful?

I feel like its hard to make a "hobby" IG list that isn't complete dicks, while marines are solidly effective no matter how you build them.

Yeah I take vets with three special weapons in a squad, cause the other seven guns in the squad do jack shit.

And yes I put my guys in chimeras, because I dont like having them all murdered.

tl;dr it feels like you'll get whined at for powergaming if you ever bring anything that just doesnt roll over and die for the space marine master race, if you dare to play anything but them (I got this same attitude when I played Tau and Eldar)

>> No.16596791

>>16596767
>play a shitty army

You heard it here folks, if it's not a netlist, it's shitty. Tourney viability is the only thing that determines quality.

>stop liking what I don't like

Reversible statement is reversible.

>> No.16596803

1) Every time a Tyranid player's unit gets a kill, they must physically eat that model

>> No.16596807
File: 44 KB, 350x410, Tau can't shlick.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
16596807

>>16596709
>>16596715
>>16596719
>>16596721
>>16596758
Wow. Um...wow. Kills marines on a 1-3, kills guardsmen on a 1-4, kills anything with Wounds on a 6?

Somehow ignores vehicles? Can Necrons WBB from that? Wow.

>> No.16596812

>2) No two units may be equipped the same way.

I play Necrons...

>> No.16596813

>>16596787

Mech IG is just an all around tough opponent for most players. Its obvious you are gonna get hated. You can do fine however taking alternative units. Leman Russes are an example. Basilisks. Not very cost effective in my opinion but viable without being "complete dicks".

Btw sounds like you played during Fishes o' Fury and 4e Eldar. There was a lot of hatred for those races back then.

>> No.16596817

the grey knights codex makes references to a strength test

what the fuck is a strength test

>> No.16596824

JotWW is actually the only thing in the SW Codex that I think is legitimately super broken. There's some stuff where I look at it and say, "Gee, that seems a bit much," but JotWW is just another level. It should never have been in the game in any form. Initiative was never supposed to determine your durability; it's not balanced to do so. And the fact that it overrides Invulnerable saves, multiple wounds and even eternal warrior--you know, the rules designed to prevent your expensive characters from getting one-hit--is just ridiculous.

>> No.16596827

>>16596787
>the only IG/tau/eldar lists are tourney lists

Look, you can run 9 crisis suits/six broadsides/one railhead and two minimal squads of fw's if you want, or you can play however you want and have maybe a 10% smaller chance of winning.

If you have to win 60% of the time instead of 50%, maybe you should be in a different hobby.

>> No.16596829

>>16596807
>Can Necrons WBB from that?
NOPE

>> No.16596834

>>16596817

Same as initiative test, except using Strength.

>> No.16596836
File: 16 KB, 150x150, 4chan Rubric look.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
16596836

>>16596817

>> No.16596848

>>16596807
Other way around

Kills marines on 5-6
Kills IG on 4-5-6

>> No.16596851

>>16596824
Oh, AND it's one of the few things in the game that can target specific models.

>> No.16596852

>>16596824
the grey knights have a psychic power almost the same as it too

>>16596834
so what, you have to roll under your strength on 2d6, something that's highly unlikely on most units?

>> No.16596855

>>16596813
I played entirely foot Eldar. I once had someone complain that Maugan Ra was OP.
>>16596827
Playing non mech Tau/IG is boring as fuck, you just stand in a line shooting and hope nothing reaches you. Its not even fun to win with them.

And the marine players whining about how my IG have too many chimeras usually are fully mounted in razorbacks or rhinos, and usually led by a special character repainted to their army. I'm just saying you can get away with alot more cheese in the guise of "hobby" army as a marine player than anyone else.

>> No.16596860
File: 26 KB, 429x424, 02 Kwai.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
16596860

>so what, you have to roll under your strength on 2d6,
>Crix
>not saging
Your trolling confuses me, tripper.

>> No.16596861

>>16596852

JUST 1D6. ONLY LEADERSHIP TESTS ARE 2D6.

>> No.16596866
File: 21 KB, 534x400, 40k_Oh_My_Emperor_by_Sebbythefreak.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
16596866

Herp, derp his list is beat mine so it must be a netlist! I love it when complete retards attribute their own stupidity to others.

To often the people who complain the most are those who don't even know the rules of their own codex but hate being told how shit they are for it. Thus, they label you a rules lawyer.

Also, if people don't have their armies painted, who really gives a fuck? It's not they're not painting YOUR army. So shut up and feel good about your pretty army.

Seriously, fuck these people. For all their shit about having fun, they make it a pain in the ass to play.

>> No.16596877

>>16596855

Did you run DeathJester harlequins as well? Most Marine players don't like pinning even though they pass it a lot.

>> No.16596879

>>16596791

Yeah, but a fair number of people will call your list a "netlist" if it has any redundancy or thought whatsoever, or if it isn't super-fluffy.

And considering that redundancy without going into overkill is a large part of what will make a list effective, yeah, it kind of does come across as "shitty list or gtfo".

>> No.16596892
File: 117 KB, 561x364, Screen shot 2011-10-11 at 10.36.11 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
16596892

>>16596861
Oh yeah? What about those Cool, Int, and WP tests?

>> No.16596905

>>16596866
>your list won it's a netlist

This is bullshit I agree. However, at least half the time it IS a netlist with maybe one or two minor differences.

>don't know their own codex

Help them if you can, if you can't just move on.

>fuck painting armies

Stop right there. Paint your fucking army. No one else likes doing it either, but not doing it DOES detract from the visual aspect of the game. Just like that guy proxying a land raider with a coke can for three years because he doesn't feel he needs to buy the model.

>> No.16596911

>>16596892

Ah, cool. Back from the days when a SOB Hero was T5 and WS7.

>> No.16596917
File: 158 KB, 400x471, assclown prize.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
16596917

For Op

>> No.16596920

3) Heavy/special weapons are limited to one per type, per unit.

good luck with dealing with any kind of mech army. 1 lascannon, 1 missile, 1 autocannon, 1 melta, 1 plasma, etc?

Eldar will just LOL all the way to victory.

>> No.16596926

>>16596911
>SOB hero
>Realm of Chaos: Lost and the Damned
Lemme check that Universal Creatures table...
Hm, Adeptus Custodes, Adeptus Mechanicus...
Nope, no Sisters here.

>> No.16596934

>Hurr durr netlist

Are you seriously so retarded that you need to look things up on the internet to make a broken list? The rules are ludicrously broken, its usually quickly apparent what is going to work well and what isn't.

I figured out holo-fields+spirit stones+skimmers moving fast=immortality back in 4th ed on my own playing with a few friends and our armies during a summer at the beach, long before I had visited any sort lf 40k related website.

Breaking a codex is so easy a retard can do it

>> No.16596949

>>16596905
>Stop right there. Paint your fucking army. No one else likes doing it either, but not doing it DOES detract from the visual aspect of the game.
>No one else likes doing it either,
>Don't like painting
>Play hobby game
>Why would you do this to yourself?

>> No.16596963

>>16596949
I love the fluff, I love building the models, but god damn painting them is like pounding nails through my dick.

But I still do it, because sprue grey looks like fucking shit, and I have a modicum of respect for my fellow players.

>> No.16596968

>>16596905

I paint my army.

I just don't care if people don't paint theirs. I'm not going to fucking insult them, tell them to GTFO, or do anything like that. I will simply play the game and have fun.

Don't mind bullshit proxies either. Armies cost money and you'd be a fool to not play test what you want before buying it. Plus, ramming a can of Mountain Dew with my tank is badass!

>> No.16596969

>>16596791
You realize how many lists are posted on the internet, looking for tweaking and advice? Want to play a non-net list? Make one that's total crap, and that's the only way it won't be a "net list".

>> No.16596975

No list of rules is complete without a list of consequences for breaking those rules, and I think that's in order so we can have real context for how important it is to dispute these rules.

>1) Your army must be painted, no exceptions.
Under penalty of having them mocked by any player or observer at any time and you can't tell them to shut the fuck up about it.

>2) No two units may be equipped the same way.
>3) Heavy/special weapons are limited to one per type, per unit.
These rules are bullshit, disregard. If something is good enough to take more than one of, and the codex doesn't stop them from doing so, it's obviously meant to be a strength of that army. And if the army list is OP, isn't that what rule 8 is for?

>4) If you take longer than 5 minutes to reference a rule, it immediately goes to a roll off.
>5) If there is any argument about a rule, it immediately goes to roll-off
And if you call upon these rules to be enforced more than twelve times in a single game or three times in a single turn, it immediately goes to a fuck-off.

>6) Turns are timed based on points limits. You have 15 minutes to move, shoot, and assault at 1500 points.
>7) Time taken to resolve actions taken during the other players turn (wounds, saves, etc.) are deducted from your time.
And during the enforcement of these rules, everyone is only allowed to speak in their best Moira Quirk impression.

>8) Handicapping is in effect for newer codexes. Armies which have not had an update or new codex for longer than two years gain an extra 250 points to spend on additional units.
And an additional 250 points if your opponent plays a loyalist Space Marines chapter.

>> No.16596980

>>16596963
>But I still do it, because sprue grey looks like fucking shit, and I have a modicum of respect for my fellow players.

It sounds like you are a short step from taking pride in the effort you put in. And from there, it's easy to start enjoying it.

>> No.16596982

>>16596968
>ramming a MTNDEW with my tank is badass

For a year, maybe.

Longer than that, and you start to wonder when that asshole is going to buy the model.

>> No.16596990

>>16596980
I'm just so, so, so bad at painting. It's frustrating to the point that I find it unenjoyable.

>> No.16597019 [DELETED] 
File: 36 KB, 337x455, I came.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
16597019

>>16596963
I played 3rd Edition Space Wolves, right after the 13th Company came out (I didn't play 13th Company). Decided that Space Wolf Blue looked like shit. Bought grey primer from Lowe's.

MFW same color as sprue.

>> No.16597030

>>16596105
So I cannot have 2 units of 6 in Devilfish with disruption pods? Well FUCK you too buddie.

Also your suggestion made the unit Far worse OP you are a Faggot and should burn your models.

1) Semi agree with A new unit I wont care about as long as its at least primed.
2) Woo way to fuck some not marine armies
3) See above
4) meh that's kinda acceptable
5) Sweet everything is a 50/50 chance of going my way
6) Yeah Fuck you Horde players
7)see above
8) Have a Land Raider or another unit or 3 of something. like Fuck you nids and your average 5th ed codex I get 250 points more of my Black templars...
9) OP your breaking your own rule here now you owe me a beer.

>> No.16597047

>>16597019
But you had black and a detail colour too, right?

In theory, I wouldn't care if the base model wasn't painted, if the gun, armour details and such were painted. It's just that if you're going to paint the details, you might as well paint the whole thing.

>> No.16597061

>>16596982

Still don't care. I'm not going to force someone to buy something.

As for needing plastic figures for visualization, meh, I can manage without, .

>> No.16597077

>>16597061
you sound like a guy I knew who played the whole game with pennies, nickels, dimes and so on.

He always looked at me funny when I said it was a little confusing as to who was who.

>> No.16597083

>>16595960

>5) If there is any argument about a rule, it immediately goes to roll-off

I'm taking Corb and I Claim " I think you should concede" you either say you concede and I win OR you complain and I get a 50/50 with a re roll to win the game.

>> No.16597095

I have a question; I play CSM violators/sorcerer retune and was curious if it was cheese. I made them to be flavorful bu I was fairly sure as long as I left out lashprince I was good

3rhinos, all havoc launchers and possessed
1 sorcerer with a preditor havoc and possessed. Warp time and plasma pistol:
personal guard x9 with auto cannon
1 troop choice full noise marines with ALL noise blasters
1 troop choice full bromarines with flamer
Chaos lord, bliss giver, with 6 possessed
havoc squad 4 missle launchers (pyrotechnic team)
to round points if needed a defiler and/or preditor w/las
5 havoc squad with

>> No.16597097

>>16596969

A netlist isn't any list posted online. Its the same general term as a netdeck in magic. It means a common archtype that a person went online and found the composition of.

>> No.16597099

OP: 1/10. You're a faggot but you got me to post, so you get a point.

> How... how did that happen?

Because GW wanted to sell space wolf models. That's how it happened. The same reason Grey Hunters are overpowered piles of horse shit. Same reason they nerfed Carnifexen into the ground just in time for a 60 dollar Trygon kit to hit the shelves.

They wanted money for selling off a bunch of SW kits, and all the bandwagon jumpers fresh off the nob biker train were all too happy to oblige.

>> No.16597106

Terrible. Absolutely terrible. Nerfs non-marine armies massively, as they are FUCKED if they cannot take identical of their best units.

Just overall arbitrary and AWFUL. 0/10, would not play against.

>> No.16597113

>>16597095
>CSM

I didn't have to read any further, congrats your army is not cheese

>> No.16597118
File: 168 KB, 800x800, Suck-at-tactics-too-poor-to-buy-tanks-Blame-5th-edition.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
16597118

>>16596408
>>16596417

What he said. OP is a serious faggot. Go back to Warseer or whatever shitty forum you came from

>> No.16597123

>>16597095
Ignore that last line about 5 havocs. Also why does 4chan butcher everything I type? Devils jukebox...

>> No.16597129
File: 261 KB, 705x687, 1273322128420.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
16597129

>>16597077

Hey, dude I bring what I have! I'm not going to neglect the rest of my life to make sure those little plastic men are ready for the game. Are you going to tell me to GTFO because a couple squads of guardsmen aren't painted?

>> No.16597134

>>16596934
>Breaking a codex is so easy a retard can do it
Then I challenge you to do it with...

...the current Eldar codex. Good luck, soldier.

>> No.16597137

>2) No two units may be equipped the same way.

I sure do love giving each unit something different even if it completely shitty/complicated/boring and remembering what they have solely for "variety".

>> No.16597139

>>16597129
I'm telling you that if you can't bother to paint a single squad over the course of two months, then I can't bother to find the time to play with you.

>> No.16597164

>>16597129

I'm not going to tell you to GTFO but if you don't show some level of improvement I'm going to break your balls at first and eventually I'll stop playing you.

Painting isn't hard or time consuming if you use a few basic techniques. I don't expect your army to be fully painted two days or even two months after you first got it, I get it we all only have a limited amount of hobby time. What I do expect is to see progression until completeion.

>> No.16597202

>>16597139

Dude, not all of us have the luxury of having tiny elite armies or even regular time off. Armies get done when they get done.

>> No.16597220

>>16597047
Yeah, I painted them in a style like the limited edition Games Day Rune Priest that came out (then someone gave me the Rune Priest model)

Just thought it was funny not knowing which models I'd primed without looking at the bases.

>> No.16597224

>>16597202

I get 45 minutes a day, 5 days a week to paint.

I painted 9 Kans, 1 Deff Dread, 90 Boyz, KFF Big Mek, Ghazgul, and 14 Lootas in 2 months to a better than table top standard.

You can paint your army - I don't give a fuck how much time you have.

>> No.16597229

About SW....meh. Long Fangs are cool, but they can't fit Elite+Heavy shooting because they need a Wolf Guard babysitter for the Grey Hunter squads, which also cancel the "GH are cheaper". Said Grey Hunters can't combat squad, can't have Heavy Weapons and still get killed by anything actually threathening on CC.

And someone else already said the whole "first unsaved wound = no split fire because fuck no you aren't are going to lose a heavy weapon"

Those "super" (super bad) 8-man units of GH on Rhinos? Try jamming them with a Dread/a Walker. Is hilarious.

>> No.16597241

>>16597202
It should take less than an hour to paint a single mini. We'll call it an hour, in case you're a masterclass painter who needs to highlight every scrotum wrinkle on the model.

24 hours in a day, lets assume you sleep 8 (you probably don't). we'll say you work 10 (you probably don't) and I'll even assume you work 7 days a week (you certainly don't). In two months with 30 days each, you have 360 "free" hours. If you take even 1/100th of this time, you should be able to paint three models every two months.

You refuse to. It's not because you can't, but rather because you won't.

And that is what I have no respect for.

>> No.16597249

>>16597241
>I can tell that you are a piece of shit because you don't do things how I do things
Way to apply your life view to the hobby game, shitdipper.

>> No.16597278
File: 33 KB, 699x423, 1312762039067.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
16597278

>>16597249
>your reasoning is making me mad, I don't like when people tell me I'm wrong and lay out a logical argument for it, you're a faggot

>> No.16597279

>>16597229
then why>>16596153

>> No.16597302

>>16597249

You're not a piece of shit, just a lazy schmuk who won't paint his army because you're lazy and you hide behind excuses.

>> No.16597310

>>16597279

Because Space Wolves are all round competitive army? They excel in many game types against many armies. The post in question is simply pointing out why SW aren't unbeatable or "auto-win"

>> No.16597314

>>16596153
Out of curiosity where do you play? Sounds alot like my gaming group.

>> No.16597323
File: 73 KB, 407x405, 1281449918480.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
16597323

>>16597224

Awfully aggressive aren't we? My IG are, for the most part, painted.

Once again, I'm not saying that people shouldn't paint their armies. What I'm saying is that it isn't integral to having fun. So of my funnest games where when either I or the person I was playing against had little to nothing done. I've even run into people who just didn't want to paint their armies. Made a little extra money by giving them a basic paint job...

Anyway, you guys are a little to serious about this whole issue. Do you literally inspect your opponents army every game, noting what's not painted and what is? Do you have a little notebook too? God help him if he shows up with non-approved models...

>> No.16597354

>>16597323
No one is as anal as you want to think they are.

But as you have noted, there are a number of people who refuse to paint their armies.

It's not even a problem is the painting is slow. The problem is when it isn't happening at all. And no, you don't need notebooks to see that.

>> No.16597361

>>16597241

I think there is something missing from this whole argument of painting vs. time. And that is simply, inspiration. I'll use myself as an example. I have a fuckton of models to paint right now. However I do not get this completed often. Is it because I am lazy? Nope. Is it because I don't want to? Nope. Is it because I don't have time? No. Its because I don't have the inspiration to at the current time. Personally, I only paint, when I feel in that "painting" mood, because if I paint otherwise, it comes out as complete shit. I don't want my models to look like shit. I want them to look at least like I put good work into them. And to me, having a shoddy job because of lack of inspiration is more of an insult to my opponent then having a simply primed only model.

>> No.16597362

>>16597097
So if some makes a space wolf army out of good space wolf units, because they're good units, and someone else online makes a similar army out of similar units, because they're good units, is the army now a "net list" army?

I played an Ork army once that someone accused of being a net list. 2 10-man mobs of lootaz, two 30-man mobs of shootaz, two full grot mobz, and a pair of big mekz. There was some other stuff, but this was accused of being a "net list". That's fucking retarded. I picked units that are good and that I liked and made a list. If assholes don't like it because other people had similar ideas, then fuck them. It's their problem. Mech IG is a common list I see on-line. Guess any mounted IG is now a "net list" and faggots like OP won't play them.

I say bring a list that you enjoy, and play it. If you're a minmaxing faggot, then enjoy it. If you're a fluff-whore, then enjoy it. Bring a list and just make sure it's legal.

>> No.16597366

>>16597323

It isn't integral to YOU having fun.

It is to me, part of my enjoyment of this hobby is playing with and against fully painted armies. Its part of the visual appeal of this hobby.

I'm not saying you have to paint your army, only that I won't regularly play you if you don't. Some of my best games were against some of the most beautifully painted models I've ever seen.

We can both take this to logical extremes you see?

No I don't inspect my opponent's army but I do spend a bit of time looking at it and talking paint with my opponent.

I expect my opponent's to paint their army in due time. I'm not unreasonable in that due time, I just expect to see progress.

Fortunately my shop only allows painted armies at tournaments so we've seen a MAJOR upswing in painted armies.

>> No.16597387

>>16597279

If I had to guess, I would say that at least some of those are Chaos armies using the SW rules. Because the Gav-dex is bad and lame.

>> No.16597388

>>16597361

This is reasonable - again the only requirement so to speak is progress. Progress isn't hard.

>> No.16597396

>>16597241
>Clearly doesn't have a wife or girlfriend

>> No.16597401

> Wolf Guard babysitter for the Grey Hunter squads, which also cancel the "GH are cheaper"
10 Assault marines - 190 pts.
10 tacs - 170 pts.
9 GH + WG - 153.

Well, OK, sure the models start cheap right? When you pile on the upgrades and transports, surely they cost more. Except that they don't, unless you start the bullshit comparison where one is upgraded to hell and back, and the other is ran plain.

> Said Grey Hunters can't combat squad, can't have Heavy Weapons

Oh no, no combat squad or heavy weapon! They don't have to take the options of "Hold squad still, fire heavy" "Do anything else with squad, disregard heavy" or "Split squad into two more easily killed groups, put one in metawl bawks, leave other on board." .....How horrible for them.
Combat squads is a fucking joke, a pathetic gimme from raping tactical squads from 4e->5e.

Tell me, anyone with experience with black templars who run almost identically to 4e tacticals: Would you trade the ability to have a 5 man lascannon/plasma gun squad, with each in a metal box if desired, for combat squads? Whats that? "FUCK YOU"? That's what I thought.

> and still get killed by anything actually threathening on CC.

Define threatening. I would say that having a 2 in 3 (Without WG.) chance of answering a gaunt/ork mob/powerblob charge with 3 attacks a model, with the option of rerolling your ones to hit, wound, and armor saves is just a LITTLE better than one attack per model.

GH are hilariously broken for their price. They fight better than tac squads while shooting on par with them in almost any scenario, and they can shoot better than assault squads, while fighting at -least- on part with them in CC. Give me a break.

>> No.16597403

>>16596968
>>16596905
IMO, I'm fine with count-as as long as it's reasonable (models look similar and such) or they can be unreasonable (empty base, can o' soda) if the model is in the mail, unbuilt, or the player has said something along the lines of "I want to see if it's a fun unit 'cause I'm thinking of buying one."

>> No.16597410

>>16597396

I'm the 45 minutes a day guy. Married with kids and a full time job here - still get my miniatures complete.

>> No.16597420

>>16597396
>his wife or girlfriend doesn't give him 1.5 free hours every month

Holy shit your life must be fucking miserable.

>> No.16597471

See, I can't paint. I get really bad migraines, and the smell of paint is enough to send me spiraling down into a just-give-me-the-mercy-shot-already headache. And every time I see a thread like this, I quietly decide that, no, I don't think I'll be buying any miniatures in the near future. Because I know that I'll get shit for showing up with unpainted minis, and I suspect I'll get shit for showing up with minis I paid someone else to paint.

>> No.16597483

>>16597410
Whatever you say. Some people can't carve out 45 minutes a day. Believe it or not. Hell, painting my orks sometimes saw more than 45 minutes going through the models and figuring out what to paint and how.

But I knew a guy that had a real hardon for painted armies. He had a friend that he got into the game. His friend was a bit slow in painting his army and would occasionally field unpainted or primed units. This guy said that he would get angry with his friend for fielding these units until his friend painted them.

Then I pointed out that he was basically throwing temper tantrums because someone else was enjoying the game in a manner that was different to him, and he really just wanted to get his way. He claimed that huffing and puffing at his friend until he got his way was nothing like a child huffing and puffing at his mommy until he got his way.

Anyone who gets pissed off at other players for enjoying the hobby in a different way is a gigantic faggot. Hell, I knew an old-school Dark Eldar player who kept his models thrown in a rifle case and a plastic bag, either un-painted or poorly painted from previous owners. He did this specifically because it pissed off people like Painting That Guys. I thought it was hilarious.

>> No.16597487

>>16597471
Or, or, or, you could like, tell people about your problem. With your words.

>> No.16597504

>>16597483
>45 minutes a day

What about an hour an a half a month?

Is that unreasonable?

>> No.16597505

>>16597420
40+ hours a week, full-time student, and chores around the house. Then add in time for eating, sleeping, homework, I've got just enough time to catch up with my wife on what happened and have a nice little squeeze-and-please before we both konk out at midnight.
I enjoy it.

>> No.16597529

>>16597471
Why not hang out at your store on a painting day?
(if there aren't any, why not try to get one together? hell, people would go for a self-depricating 'teach anon to paint day' pitch.)

>> No.16597532

>>16597505
I think you mean ilikeit!.jpg

>> No.16597539

>>16597487
It's kind of embarrassing, to have that same conversation over and over again. It's just not a fun talk to have on anybody's part.

>> No.16597548

>>16597401

U mad?

Combat Tactics is good because it allows you to have a melta suicide squad on a Rhino + a Heavy Weapon squad for the same troop slot. The melta squad goes and punks something, the Heavy Weapon squad pew-pews and holds objectives.

Since we are going for specific examples, Tacticals get to use Combat Tactics, which means that they fall back and then shoot again (Protip: Shooting is what kills stuff at this game). BA have Sang Priests around, which means S5+I5, GK have Power Weapons and god help you if they are Purifiers. Or they are cheap-ass Henchmen and who cares about those.

Note, I said "threathening". Terminators, Incubi, Monstrous Creatures, Walkers. Every one of those will kick your Power Armor ass anyways (Power Armor units are mediocre at CC at best).

"Re-rolls to hit of an 1". So, a Wolf Standard. Come on, Black Templars's Power Armor guys can have Prefered Enemy (so re-rolls to hit period) and still don't scare anybody on CC. And is on a 1-turn only, so...I can choose to not assault you for it? Oh-noes, you killed (even more) my MSU squad. Is not like I don't have several of them ready to shoot you...oh wait.

>> No.16597552

>>16597529

I love painting days. Unfortunately I don't have many people to paint with right now with regards to 40k since they closed down the local GW. Only place is an LGS that caters to Warmahordes and Magic (even moreso then warmahordes) and the people there kinda keep to themselves.

>> No.16597553

>>16597539
>"why don't you paint your army?"
>"Paint gives me migraines"
>"aww dude that sucks, let's play anyhow/I could paint it for you/I know a guy who can paint it for you"


Real embarrassing.

>> No.16597557

>>16597504
What's reasonable is you paint your army as you see fit, and you let other people manage their lives and their time. Some people actually PLAY 40k because it's a GAME.

Do you paint your monopoly pieces? If not, then I refuse to play you in monopoly because pewter pieces are horrible. How long have you had that game? It's 8 pieces, and you can't even be bothered to prime them? What's that? It's a game? Fuck you, it's a HOBBY to me!

See how retarded that sounds? That's what you people sound like.

>> No.16597561

>I don't like painting
Too bad paint
>But I don't like it
But you have to do it
>Why
Because if they aren't painted then they look stupid and gay and junk and I hate you
>What
Shut up

>I bet this douchebag doesn't even have a painted army guys
>Implying I don't enjoy painting

>> No.16597569

>>16597354

This thread is a testament to how anal people can be. Especially when it comes to their hobby.

I guess it comes down to our different backgrounds. There isn't a LGS in my local area so most of players play at each others houses. Thus, even when playing against so one who has a completely proxied army, you don't complain because that's just rude.

I'd to devote 45 minutes a day to painting but guess what? I have other interests. 40k is a game I play once in a while with a friend or two, not some life long endeavor.

>> No.16597572

>>16597553
Yeah, I guess I just have a bit of a complex over it. I know it's irrational, and I'm sorry for being passive-aggressive.

>> No.16597574
File: 155 KB, 519x447, 1317990943599.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
16597574

>>16597557
>game where the pieces are meant to be painted, it's one of the main focuses of the hobby
>game where the pieces are just placeholders, have very little to do with the game in any way

>> No.16597575

>>16597483

You're telling me you can't find 3.75 hours a week to hobby in?

I ge busy but Jesus - I mean I have a wife, 2 kids, a home, and a full time job and even I can carve out 45 a day. Its like getting off 4chan an hour early.

>> No.16597610

>>16597575
He doesn't want to find the time, therefore it doesn't exist and we are faggots for implying it does.

Duh.

>> No.16597613
File: 217 KB, 600x572, cultist is dissapoint.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
16597613

>In this thread, serious business versus having fun

>> No.16597627

>>16597610
Or he has other things which he views as higher priorities.

If you have very little free time, you are going to want to prioritise what you use it for. If you don't particularly like painting, it probably won't get done.

>> No.16597628
File: 52 KB, 251x251, itwasaservitor.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
16597628

>>16597557
>Excuse me while I ignore the part where you don't labor over monopoly pieces with clippers, files, and glue, arming and posing them, for hours on end, and just skip to the painting bit so I can pretend that 40k isn't a hobby from start to finish.

>> No.16597647

ITT GW games are so incompetently made that the players have to make up their own rules as they go along to introduce a semblance of fairness.

>> No.16597650

>>16597628
>Excuse me while I ignore the part where you don't labor over monopoly pieces with clippers, files, and glue, arming and posing them, for hours on end
>He didn't spend hours upon hours as a child trying to glue the hat on things.

>> No.16597660

>>16597574
>game where the pieces are meant to be painted, it's one of the main focuses of the hobby
Game/Hobby, some people collect the models that they like and paint them, but never play. Why don't you hate them with the same venom you reserve for people that play the armies they like but don't paint them? Notice how there are rules for playing, but not for painting? That's because it's a game first, and a hobby second.

>>16597575
Never once did I say that I couldn't do it. I painted a 2500+ point footslogging ork WAAAGH!. But I'm not one of these faggots that thinks only of myself, like you seem to be. I also think about other people who have different lives than I do. I don't want anyone to dictate how I enjoy my hobby and prioritize my free time, so I don't do the same to others.

Great example you're setting for your kids. Do you tell them to dictate to their friends how they should enjoy things they do, or do you teach them that everyone is different and has different interests?

>> No.16597675

>>16597627
If you don't really like painting, you might want to explore alternative games that don't require painting. Like all the 40k computer games. Or vassal. Or board games. Chaos in the Old World is a better game than 40k, it has warhammers, and it doesn't have hobby. What more could you want?

>> No.16597683
File: 10 KB, 450x228, Pennybags.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
16597683

>>16597628
>He doesn't customize his monopoly pieces!

>> No.16597684

>>16597660
>it doesn't have rules for painting

Never go full retard son, never, ever. The game is there to sell models, that's why it has rules. Painting doesn't have rules because it's fucking painting.

>> No.16597710

>>16597628
My wife has battle sisters. Each model is two pieces, 3 if it's a heavy weapon or special character. Not exactly a heavily posed army there.

It's a game. The model has no real purpose other than to serve as a place holder on the board that can be used to identify a set of stats at a glance.

The game is 100% the same whether the model is painted or not, just like Monopoly.

Now, BFG actually has rules for unpainted models, and they are worse than painted models. So it pays to paint your BFG fleets. There is no incentive to by expensive shitty paint in tiny inadequate jars in 40k.

>> No.16597713

>>16597675
You are missing the point.
If you enjoy the wargame but don't enjoy the painting, why should you be forced to paint it to compete in casual game? Especially if your free time is at a premium already.

Hell, I used to play matches against some friends who had no money whatsoever, they used paper substitutes all the time.
Didn't make the matches any less interesting, it also meant that we could try out different armies and lists at a considerable pace.

I do agree about chaos in the old world being a better game however.

>> No.16597714

>>16597660
>Game/Hobby, some people collect the models that they like and paint them, but never play. Why don't you hate them with the same venom you reserve for people that play the armies they like but don't paint them? Notice how there are rules for playing, but not for painting? That's because it's a game first, and a hobby second.

Because they're not going out to games and rubbing their not-gaming in everyone's faces, are they? Meanwhile, pure gamers go to games and rub their not-painting in everyone's faces.
Is this really so hard to understand? It's about not showing up to the game and insulting your opponent with a horrifically low standard of effort.

Notice how you always paint on the 'canvas' provided by a mini? Hurdeedur, look at that, some kind of restriction. A rule, almost, but more subtle. A guideline everyone must follow, because you'll be called the hell out if you just paint all over the table, won't you?

>> No.16597716
File: 220 KB, 317x332, 1309451256364.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
16597716

>>16597675
>require painting
>require painting
>require painting

>> No.16597722

HQ-
Tervigon; toxin, adrenal 180
Tervigon; toxin 170
Troops
Termagants 50
Termagants 50
Termagants 50
Tervigon; toxin 170
Tervigon; toxin 170
Tervigon; toxin 170

1000 Points.

Fuck you OP, I do what I want.

>> No.16597725

>>16597710
So what you're saying is that you need a genuine rule to make you paint?

Holy shit, this laziness is what birthed Nurgle.

>> No.16597733

>>16597722
scratch the adrenal glands.

>> No.16597737

Speaking of Painting days, it would be nice to meet up with some of /tg/ and just dedicate a day/place to painting. You could totally learn things or help others get better, etc.

>> No.16597746

>>16597725
Why it is laziness if you want to spend what little free time you have not doing painting? Or, why is it laziness to decide not to spend time doing something that you do not enjoy?

Also it was despair and the fear of death that spawned nurgle, not laziness.

>> No.16597749

>>16597684
BFG has rules for painting. So go fuck yourself.

Institute house rules where unpainted units roll a d10 and lose 1 stat point of the corresponding stat
M WS BS S T I W A Ld Sv
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Vehicles have
BS FA SA RA M WS
1 2 3 4 5 6(re-roll for non walkers)

>> No.16597750

>>16597713
Hey, same guy here. I played against armies of paper all the time, too. Lots of my friends were too lazy to build and paint. Hell, when playing 2E, I proxied with paper all the time for models I couldn't be expected to have (squats).
I just don't think 40k, 5th edition, is anywhere near worthwhile as a pure game. It's shitty. It's out of balance all over everywhere.

My post was an honest recommendation: if you don't like painting, find a better game you will enjoy more.

>> No.16597757

>>16597714
>insulting your opponent with a horrifically low standard of effort
I refuse to believe anyone actually thinks this

>> No.16597761

>>16597746
So the nightbringer caused nurgle?

>> No.16597777

>>16597757
Never underestimate neckbeard rage.

>> No.16597780

New houserule, unpainted units have a -3 modifier to their leadership.

>> No.16597800

New house rule, unpainted models never count as scoring, and cannot remove enemy models for any reason, ever.

>> No.16597808

>>16597800
New houserule, you're a faggot.

>> No.16597810

>>16597750
Ludicrous cost of miniatures was the main reason we did it.
Plus, we couldn't adapt to our opponents as we never knew quite what they would take.

>>16597761
Depends on whether the chaos gods existed during the war between the ctan and old ones.

If they did not, then quite possibly.

>>16597749
Now that's just being a dick

>> No.16597815

New House Rule

Nobody gets to play

You can stay in watch the Tigers game with me but no 40K.

>> No.16597820

>>16597780
>play Skaven
>slaves, slaves everywhere

>and_not_a_single_fuck_was_given.jpg

>> No.16597821

>>16597725
>So what you're saying is that you need a genuine rule to make you paint?

You mean like "You're not allowed to play if your army isn't painted with at least 3 colors"? And that gets people to paint their armies? How many lazy people do you play with? You're essentially saying "You're not allowed to enjoy my hobby unless you enjoy it the same way I do."

Seriously, playing against an unpainted army doesn't change the game unless it becomes an issue of identifying different units, which even then, units can be painted identically so you can't distinguish one from the other (no rules on that).

Basically, you just want to stare a models. Why even play the game if all you really want to do is set up your army men and stare at them? Build a diorama, or something.

>> No.16597824

>>16597757
God DAMN I raged out when I brought my fully painted, converted, and in many parts scratchbuilt Ork army to the table, and the other guy brought fully unpainted AoBR orks with poorly converted nob bikes and some extra grots, weaving his units together for a mutual cover save like the dipshits did at the time.
That IS insulting. Not the slightest effort. Not a moment given to considering that 40k is a two-player game. I have a really high tolerance for this, but treating your opponent, who has spent hours and hours working on their army, packed it all nicely and carried it to the store, like an AI player in a computer game, is not fucking acceptable.

>> No.16597839

>>16597820
>he plays fatassy

Call the cops, I don't give a fuck.

>> No.16597843

>>16597821
>He doesn't realize that 40k has a narrative element in between the hobby and the game

>> No.16597844

>>16597824
Massive overreaction there.
I would say his conduct during the battle is far more important than whether he has painted his little plastic toy soldiers.

>> No.16597849

Aww, poor OP, show us the on the dolly where the bad Space Wolf player touched you.

>> No.16597866

>>16597824
So, did you win?

>> No.16597868

>>16597824
How dare he buy and play things.

>> No.16597870

>>16597810
Nah, it's not being a dick. Read the BFG rules. They actually have rules that decrease the effectiveness of a ship that's not completely finished being painted. And it damn near cripples the ship.

Randomly getting -1 to a stat isn't so bad. A shooting unit could get -1 to their WS or S, no big deal. But risk getting -1 BS? Better paint the unit. Now, you don't have to, but the unit won't be as good. It's unpredictable, allows unpainted units, and gives an incentive to paint.

BTW, I'm the guy that's so against dictating to others how they should enjoy their hobbies.

>> No.16597885

>>16597843
The most ridiculous 'narrative' in the world, yes.

...actually I can get your general point. There's cool looking things and cool concepts, and I can see people being into that. But the narratives... lolno.

>> No.16597893

>>16597844
They were both parts of the same whole. Models dumped on the table out of a plastic bag and then stood up, you know. This guy was THE powergaming boor of legend. He made no attempt to respect me in any way, and you know, I packed my infantry carefully in egg cartons because I had no foam case at the time, and I brought that bigass box of egg cartons with a tupperware bin full of tanks wrapped in paper towel to the store looking like an idiot the whole way, and I didn't do it for this bullshit.

>> No.16597905

>>16597893
You can be a massive power gaming boor of legend with a painted army.

>> No.16597919

>>16597824
Did your opponent ask you to put in all that time and effort? If not, then how can you be pissed off that he didn't do the same?

If he asked you to field a beautiful army and his looked like shit, I could see being upset. But you volunteered to build a beautiful army, so don't get pissy when others don't volunteer to do the same.

>>16597843
Sorry, I don't pretend that my little plastic mens are talking to your little plastic mens. I also don't make "pew pew" noises when I shoot my guns.

>> No.16597924

>>16597849
Here's the thing: raaaaage against people who play specific sides, and choose the best units for those sides, is silly. The only appropriate target for rage is the company that makes ridiculously unbalanced rules and fails to take any balancing action... and presumably does so deliberately so that new armies sell.

>> No.16597948
File: 251 KB, 873x627, m850207a_BA_JB124_873x627.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
16597948

>>16597885
Which is why I don't believe 5th edition 40k is worth playing as a game only. It has no appeal on a narrative basis, and the balance is fuck-awful, as anyone will tell you.
I'll take a sturdy system with minor flaws that spouts narrative on its own over the godawful mess that is 5th edition any day.

>> No.16597952

There is only one rule that any 40K player should follow.

No socks with sandals.

>> No.16597961

>>16597893
So you don't have enough respect for the hobby to get a proper case for your minis? You just wrap them in paper towels and throw them into egg cartons?

That's fucking cheap and incredibly disrespectful to the minis and the hobby. Get a proper case before you show up to games where people take the time and effort to properly transport and protect their armies in a way that is efficient and convenient.

>> No.16597978

>>16597919
You don't have any attachment to the 40k universe? Really? You absolutely, purely, play 40k for the game and the game alone?
You'd be playing 40k if it had the same system but was set in the Napoleonic era?
Narrative is the main draw of 40k.

>> No.16597993

>>16597952
Fuck U

My feet are sweaty, and it's either assault you with barefooted stench or have my feet shrivel up in the drowned catacombs of boots

>> No.16598000

You missed the part where he had his minis in a plastic bag and dumped them on the fucking table instead of packing them carefully to protect their paint jobs by whatever means he could.

>> No.16598005

>I win the game
>No you don't
>ROLL OFF
Rule 5 makes the entire game pointless except for one d6 roll.

THIS IS AWESOME

>> No.16598012

>>16597961
I'm not sure whether I'm laughing with you or at you, but I'm laughing, so thanks.

>> No.16598040

>>16597978
I think you're confusing narrative with concepts and aesthetics. Seriously, the narrative is nothing short of absolute idiocy.

>> No.16598064

>>16597978
I love the fluff and background of 40k.
However I am not going to force people to paint there armies if they do not want to.
And I don't need to have both armies to be painted as well to enjoy the narrative appeal.
I am use to playing against paper proxies.

I still have images in my head of battles we have fought, for example the time that the paper dark elf lord on a dragon was taken out by a bolt thrower after savaging the walls of a castle.
Whilst visually the lego battlements and paper proxies didn't look amazing, the mental image was enjoyable.

>> No.16598093
File: 69 KB, 407x405, 1317496796893.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
16598093

This thread amazes me. I never realized this many people can get so upset over something as seemingly irrelevant as painting. My friends and I have never had a problem playing against people with unpainted armies. I mean, not all of us can spend all day on our figurines.

>> No.16598109

>>16598093
I agree with you entirely/

>> No.16598142

>>16596879

>Oh man 40k looks sweet I wonder which armies take to odd paintjobs/conversions the best!
>staff says CSM, they look sweet!
>aw shit, new codex is out, LEGIONS
>Hey, Iron Warriors look cool and sound badass with the "we'll bury you in artillery!" theme
>I guess I'll take lots and lots of guns and hey cool they can take a bunch of obliterators too
>shit I don't have enough money to buy more troop choices, whoops, I'll squeeze out two squads

EVERYBODY MAD.

>> No.16598177

rolled 79 = 79

>>16597129
Yes, yes he would. Which would promptly identify him as a "GIANT BAG OF DOUCHE!" Some folks just don't get the fact that "they aren't an integral part of everyone elses enjoyment of gaming." These are also the clueless tools who wonder why no-one will game with them.

>> No.16598181

I have 3 40k armies. 1 fully painted, one half done, and one primed.
I get the whole "its not painted, dont play with it" deal. Really I do. You put alot of work into your army, so should I. I respect that. But for fucks sake I don't have the time anymore. I work 60+ hours a week, plus I have a kid and a wife I take priority over some little plastic men. If I want to play at the Bunker with my unpainted Orks because they are more fun than my marines, I dont mind playing on the "non-painted army" table. Honestly.

BUT.

When you make me fucking base my shit? Fuck you. I have always hated basing. Not because its hard, or its time consuming, because to me its the easiest fucking thing in the world. I dont do it cause I HATE IT. Im playing on a lava table? Wouldn't fuckin know cause all my bases have god damn snow. I hate basing because its stupid. And no one should tell me what I should do with my fucking models.

>> No.16598358

>>16598181
>>16598093

So much agree. If the "paint it or else" had their way, we'd lose our wives, children, jobs, and every other interest we have. And for what, some fucking neckbeard's respect? Fuck that.

>> No.16598390

>>16598358
A few minutes a day to put a coat on one part of a unit won't cost you your job. 45 minutes a day on weekends won't cost you your job. That's bullshit.

>> No.16598421

>>16598358
Dont get me wrong. I'll paint when I ave free time (ie not playing whatever game just came out), hell I even bought that pack mini battlefoam bag to take a squad to work and paint during lunch. But for gods sake I cant and wont devote my life to this game for the sake of your optical pleasure.
I would say I paint fairly middle-of-the-road, and that's being generous, shit bugs the crap out of me when some kid walks up, looks at my army while its on the table, and starts giving me fucking painting advice. But I digress.

For real though. I get the whole painted-to-play argument. But basing is where I draw the line. Fuck that

>> No.16598458

>>16598390

Hmm, wife, kids, job, and other interests. Maybe I just don't feel like painting miniature this weekend? Maybe I want to play a vidya or pnp game?

In short:

Who the fuck do you think you are, telling me how to spend my time? I'll paint my miniatures when I want, because they're MINE! You don't want to play against me because my army doesn't meet your standards, well then that's your CHOICE. Choice, isn't it amazing...

>> No.16598539

>>16597557
Page iv, 5th edition rulebook, first line.
"Warhammer 40,000 is far, far more than just a game."
Fourth paragraph.
"You will have realised by now that Warhammer 40,000 differs from normal games. There are unlimited possibilities and players must be prepared to expend time and effort collecting, assembling, and painting their models and setting up their battlefields. If all this sounds like hard work, you're right -- it is!"

Furthermore, according to the table of contents,
Rules: pages 1-94 (94 pages).
Dark Millennium: 97-178 (81 pages)
The Warhammer 40,000 Hobby: 185-288 (103 pages).
See, the rulebook says 40k is a hobby and you *must* be prepared to expend time and effort on it. Less than a third of the rulebook is rules, and the largest section is titled "The Warhammer 40,000 Hobby".
Now if you'll quit saying it's purely a game, I'll let you play unpainted until you find the time. But make sure you find the time.

>> No.16598556

>>16598539
That is GW feeding people a load of bullshit so they'll buy overpriced painting supplies

>> No.16598559

>>16598458
If you can't spend that tiny amount on it, maybe 40k just doesn't fit your lifestyle.

>> No.16598561

>>16598539
The fact that you looked that up in the book makes you look like a huge fucking virgin.

Just sayin is all

>> No.16598598

>>16598556
I get where you're coming from, but it's the way things have been since well before there were ubiquitous Citadel terrain kits, Citadel clippers, Citadel Realm of Battle Boards, Citadel craft knives, and all that bullshit. 5th edition doesn't even include any step-by-step painting, which puts it below 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and RT for painting content. Previous books had how to make your own terrain, now there's pictures of Citadel kits. It's still a hobby.

>> No.16598614

>>16598561
The fact that I flipped through the rulebook until I found something? And I only got three pages in?

>> No.16598620

>>16598559
Your missing the point, he wants to play the game in the freetime he has, rather than painting it.

If someone doesn't enjoy painting or doesn't have the time to do it, whats the fucking problem?

At the end of the day this is just a game, and refusing to play against unpainted armies or getting upset over it just smacks of snobbery and elitism.

And before you mention how can he have time to play and not time to paint, I would like to point this out. You can schedule in a game, but if you do not enjoy painting or you prefer to use your free time in a social manner, this is not going to happen for painting.

>> No.16598626

>>16598539
>It's not just a game, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE!

>> No.16598656
File: 34 KB, 762x582, Little Wars2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
16598656

>>16598626
Always has been for some.

>> No.16598673

>>16598620
This.
For a good year I did not feel like painting. Didn't have it in me. Couldn't even look at a god damn pot of paint.
Still played the game though.

>>16598614
Your that guy who has to find every fucking rule that gives you the edge, stopping the game. But then you call someone out on a rule you don't know, you bitch about stalling the game. That Guy, how ya doin.

>> No.16598694

>>16598673
Feelin' fine, actually. I'm here at college with a grab-bag of minis I never got around to painting, working through that backlog in my spare time so I'll have painted armies when I'm home for break.

>> No.16598730

>>16598539
>>16598614
>actually citing the rulebook to say people have to paint because the company tells them to

Jesus. I have nothing to say to that. Just... wow. Really. You're an extraordinary human being.

>> No.16598731
File: 19 KB, 300x272, 349803.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
16598731

>>16598656

>> No.16598776

>>16598730
Versus
>actually claiming 40k isn't a hobby
?

>> No.16598835

>>16598776
'A hobby is a regular activity or interest that MUST INVOLVE PAINTING AND is undertaken for pleasure, typically done during one's leisure time.'

Thanks wikipedia! I've added four words to that definition, and as a result it's been changed from 'reasonable' to 'bizarre'. Can /tg/ spot them?

>> No.16598857

>>16598835
It is a well known fact that football fans aren't real football fans unless they watch football whilst painting.

>> No.16598876

>>16598857
STOP PAINTING ME YOU FUCKERS I'M TRYING TO TAKE A PENALTY HERE

>> No.16598897

>>16598876
The real reason Gazza exploded into floods of tears was because he had some Green Stuff in his eye.

>> No.16598925

>>16598835
You'll notice that
>>16598539
Is not primarily about painting, but rather was a response to a much earlier post which claimed 40k was a game and calling it a hobby was ridiculous.

>> No.16598964

>>16598925
I think the point of that post was
>What's reasonable is you paint your army as you see fit, and you let other people manage their lives and their time
...which is indeed reasonable. Otherwise you're just talking semantics. If you play it regularly a game can be called a hobby. But 'hobby' =/= 'painting'

>> No.16600876 [DELETED] 

>2011
>not using an entire proxied army and a printed codex
ISHYGDDT

>> No.16601065

>>2) No two units may be equipped the same way.

IG loves this. How many different infantry squads can you have? Hell, how many different Conscript squads, Ratling squads or Ogryn squads? How about Chaos lesser daemons, how many different units do we have of those?

>3) Heavy/special weapons are limited to one per type, per unit.

Define "heavy" and "special". Do Tau drones count as "special" weapons? How about close combat weapons. Does this mean Harlequin units can have 1 Harlequin's kiss per unit?

>8) Handicapping is in effect for newer codexes. Armies which have not had an update or new codex for longer than two years gain an extra 250 points to spend on additional units.

So you're giving Orks, CSM, Space Marines, Space Wolves and IG an extra 250pts.? I'm okay with this.

>> No.16601182

2) No two units may be equipped the same way.
3) Heavy/special weapons are limited to one per type, per unit.

Well, I guess I'll just spam tanks then, cause guard infantry is all about these two.

>> No.16601474

>>16598539
Sorry, kiddo.

If it's not in the AoBR rule book, then it's not actually a rule. It's useless bullshit that takes up space and GW recognizes that because they trimmed it out in the small book.

>> No.16601637
File: 11 KB, 146x148, mfw.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
16601637

>Buying models to play the game but not painting them
Fuck if your gonna do that, why dont you just use bottle caps with "space marine w/ lascannon" or "chaplain" written on them. Both of them look like shit, and neither would be acceptable at a tournament, but one of them is free.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action