Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
[ERROR] No.16021187 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

Hey /tg/ forever DM here with a few questions,

Could you /tg/entlemen possibly suggest alternatives to using D&D minis?

Currently in my group we make use of Dungeon Tiles, a dry-erase battlemat, and the miniatures from the board game Descent.

As a DM part of the fun and fulfillment I have in providing my players with a campaign is giving them some nice visuals.I tend to have hand-drawn maps, dungeon tiles for a large amount of locations, and even If I don't have the tiles for the location or if the players are there briefly, I'll very quickly draw out important details on the battlemat.

However I feel like perhaps there is something else I can do to provide them with more visual aids when it comes to monsters and NPCS (the amount of minis that Descent brings are a little limited).

What are some reasonable alternatives to dishing out hundreds of dollars on minis? In addition, are there other visual aids your GM employs in your group?

Discuss.

>> No.16021202

shameless bump

>> No.16021223

Tokens! Duh. Little round or square chips or pieces of paper with a little picture on them. I remember I once saved a big collection of D&D ones specifically, but I may not have it. I'll look.

>> No.16021232

>>16021187
1 word - Legos.

>> No.16021244

Try to score some of 4th edition's monster tokens that have the little pictures on them. Just make sure the players have their own mini's; imo, PCs need minis.

>> No.16021246

Risk pieces, scrabble tiles, dice, rocks, coins, salt/pepper shakers.

>> No.16021255

>>16021202
The funny part? Manny is canonically gay for Boone.

>> No.16021263

>>16021223

The only decent tokens I have found come in the Monster Vault, unfortunately half of the stuff there would be useless to the group since we play 3.5/Pathfinder.

Merely printing them out also seems like they'd be extremely flimsy and hard to keep in place, any creative methods on printing and then reinforcing them?

>> No.16021274

3/4'' washers with character art pasted on the front. Boom. Instant 1'' tokens.

>> No.16021361

>>16021274
>>16021263
There's that, and you could glue the piece of paper to a button, a penny, a tiny cap to a stick of chapstick, or even just square cuts of cardboard.

I can't find the D&D tokens, but I can give you some icons from an old-as-dust collection of Shadowbane guild silhouette symbols.

http://www.mediafire.com/?091ab8dbz68x9lp

>> No.16021365

I suppose my best option would be to buy the monster vault, I hate to overpay, but It'd provide me with a ton of the tokens I'd need. Even if my group doesn't even touch 4th ed.

>> No.16021394

>>16021365
It's not a bad purchase, I got it and I've found it pretty useful.

>> No.16021395

>>16021365
Or you could go to Demonoid and say D&D Tokens.

>> No.16021407

>What are some reasonable alternatives to dishing out hundreds of dollars on minis?

Buy cheaper lots of minis on ebay.

No, I'm not being snarky. You can get a shitload of minis for really cheap if you just look carefully.

>> No.16021434

I've got some tokens.
You'd have to print them and base them yourself, of course, but they're about the right size to cover a 5ft. square.
It's just a random combination of a number of commonly used races/classes.

I hope you find it useful.

>> No.16021471

>>16021434

This is actually a great solution for now, many thanks.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action