Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
[ERROR] No.16014619 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

Dresden file rpg. Who has played it? Does the system work? How do you stop players declaring bullshit?

Could the fate point for bad event work in Dark heresy?

>> No.16014691

Nobody plays The Dresden Files RPG?

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=w5e4smkb
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=z3desvrt

>> No.16014714

>Who has played it?
I'VE PLAYED IT ADAPTED TO RUN A BLACK LAGOON GAME.

>Does the system work?
ABSOLUTELY.

>How do you stop players declaring bullshit?
I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE QUESTION.

>Could the fate point for bad event work in Dark heresy?
YOU MEAN, JUST GRANTING TEMPORARY FATE POINTS TO ACOLYTES FOR SOMETHING BAD HAPPENING VIA FIAT? SURE, BUT FATE POINTS IN DH AND FATE POINTS IN FATE ARE TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT CONCEPTS (ONE IS SUPPOSED TO BE A RARE, VALUABLE NOT-DYING RESOURCES, THE OTHER IS A CONSTANT, DYNAMIC FLOW OF ACTION AND SETBACKS).

>> No.16014758

"...And Emperor, if you would be so gracious as to let the Canoness give me more range time with the multimelta I would be most thankful. I thank you also for the gift bestowed on Sister Ingrid, our squad has greatly enjoyed the stress relief after days of combat rituals. Much better than a pony."

>> No.16014774

>>16014714
I was thinking of replacing DH fate points with DF fate points. I'm tempted to use the DF system for my DH game. It just seems better designed and simplifies a lot of the stat tracking.

>> No.16014796

>>16014774

WELL, DRESDEN FILES IS, FAIRLY OBVIOUSLY, MEANT FOR A MORE HEROIC GAME THAN DARK HERESY. DH ISN'T AS "SHITKICKERS GETTING KILLED BY SLIPPING ON SHIT" AS ADVERTISED, BUT THE AVERAGE CHARACTER DOES HAVE SIGNIFICANTLY LESS NARRATIVE POWER THAN THE AVERAGE DRESDEN FILE FOLK.

THAT SAID, IF YOU KNOCKED THE POWER DOWN A BIT (RUNNING 8 OR EVEN 6 REFRESH RATHER THAN 10) YOU COULD PROBABLY GET A SIMILAR FEEL ACROSS IN DRESDEN FILES.

>> No.16014859

Look up the FATE system. It's the basis of Dresden Files as well as several other RPGs.

>> No.16015208

>>16014758
What was the gift?

>> No.16015233

>>16014796
yeah, but you do have fairly different fail state in DFRPG than in DH.
the DFRPG is about players being able to have some control of failure states, while in DH even though burning fate point allows you to survive, the GM is complete control of the fail-state

>> No.16015258

>>16015233
>the DFRPG is about players being able to have some control of failure states

Won't this make mysteries ready really hard to GM?

>> No.16015278

Just finished the first bit of City Building for a Dresden game based in Orlando. Whites and Reds are using tourism to turn Orlando into a huge 'farm'. White Council essentially abandoned Orlando due to having to deal with other stuff, and the Church moved in to cover it. Summer rules the town, but winter's trying to take it over using the Mob. Tons of fun.

We've got a 'Nam Vet Sniper Werewolf, a 'Fixer' from a Clued-In Megacorp, a Drunk Gun Wizard, Assassin MacGuyver and the loudest Illusionist Master Thief -Ever-.

I haven't even started DMing yet, and I love this game already.

Oh, and we also have Walt Disney acting as a God-Emperor-esque Lich acting as a freeholding Lord. The 'Throne of Joy' is located in the heart of the Epcot Ball, aka 'Spaceship Earth'.

>> No.16015297

how does the magic system work? is it vancian, mana points or something else?

>> No.16015301

>>16015208
She's hilarious. Really good at impressions.

>> No.16015311

>>16015258
I don't see why. Care to elaborate?

>DF GM with mysteries here

>> No.16015409

Is there any limits to what kind of declarations that players can make?

Are all the classes 'balanced'?

>> No.16015410

>>16015297
>Vancian
Only D&D and not!D&D (e.g. Pathfinder) uses this stupid shit.

Pretty sure DFRPG is a Fate system, not Dungeons and Dragons.

>> No.16015422

>>16015297
For evocation (combat magic) there are two stats that matter for most evocations, conviction (how much power you are able to call up without inflicting some mental stress upon yourself) and discipline (your ability to control the power once it has been called up). You can call up your conviction score's number of shifts of power for free, but every shift after that number that number causes you one more point of mental stress. After allocating the stress (and possible consequences due to it) you then roll four fudge dice (six sided dice with two pluses, two minuses and two zeroes) and add the result to you discipline score. If your modified discipline score is lower than the amount of shifts of power you called up you must choose to either take the difference as either mental of physical stress and let the spell hit your enemy at full strength, or cause fallout and have the remaining shifts damage the environment rather than your target. That's the bare bones basics of the combat magic system. You can do one hell of a lot with it though (and it can be modified by focus items).

>> No.16015445

>>16015409
There are no "classes", rather you have a set amount of points (refresh) that you can use to purchase stunts or powers (stunts always cost a single point of refresh, powers have variable costs). You cannot go below one point of refresh or your character becomes an NPC, bound to his or her nature. Refresh also means the number of FATE points that is your base line (so you always have at least that number at the start of every session).

>> No.16015462

>>16015410
Don't hate on Vancian magic. It works fine in Vancian fantasy. Not so much in other fantasy.

>> No.16016758

>>16015301
A SoB with a sense of humor?

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action