Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
[ERROR] No.15207820 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

Hey /tg/ I'm designing system for playing scifi tabletop rpgs with. I'm not trying to make any money, I'm doing it because every system my gaming group has tried to have a scifi campaign in over the years has failed to deliver. I understand part of that is because differing preference within the group on what hardness of scifi or type of game mechanics they prefer but the fact nothing has come close to everyone's liking is disheartening. Traveller, Stars Without Number, Diaspora, multiple star wars systems, Eclipse Phase, d20shit... i mean future, even GURPS.

I have some questions for you /tg/, I've decided to go with alien-aliens being more common than humanoid aliens and was thinking about the implementation of social stats. Personally I want to leave shit like Charisma or Savvy out of the system because I'm one of those people who want to encourage RPing social encounters, not letting dice resolve them. Additionally since what social stats represent is so subjective I could see the skills they represent being useless with many alien species and same goes from their perspective to humans.

Should I include social status but have a scale that determines what type of penalties different groupings of alien types when using them on other species? Should I leave them out for intra-species communication and have a different mental stat determine social interactions with alien? Should I keep them for Intra-species communication and have something else determine extra-species communication?

Pic related, its how alien I'm talking about in some cases, there will be other humanoid species but they will just one of several groups of species.

>> No.15207839

Why have social stats if you seem to be against the idea of simplifying communication like other systems do?

It certainly would hinder the ability of the communication goes any which way, which I feel would be a downside to a game with a lot of nonhuman aliens.

>> No.15207866

This kind of shit is why there are no good (imo) Scifi rpgs. To many systems treat it like fantasy in space and the systems that don't are NOFUNALLOWED because of how logical they are.

My advice is have a stat for intra-species interactions and have separate skills for interacting with individual species that are made unmodified by your base stats.

>> No.15207889

I think you should have a scale of how relatable aliens are to humans (assuming you only allow human PCs) definitely. I mean, we don't fully understand dogs but we can and do get when they want to pee, shit or mate most of the time.

>> No.15207892

>>15207839

>It certainly would hinder the ability of the communication goes any which way, which I feel would be a downside to a game with a lot of nonhuman aliens.

Can you rephrase that, I don't understand what you are saying.

>hinder the ability of the communication goes any which way

in particular

>> No.15207906

>>15207889

Dogs would be very close on that scale to humans because we breed them to be attuned with us.

>> No.15207926

>>15207906
Yeah, definitely. A lot of other mammals actually.

>> No.15207945

>>15207892
Limits the amount of variety in how communication can go.

>> No.15207963

>>15207892

lol trouble communicating in a threat about trouble communicating. oh /tg/ never change

Also I say make inter-species communication a skill you take for each individual species and have it governed by an intelligence like stat.

>> No.15208052

Why are you asking us how you should design your game, when your whole problem is that other people just can't design a game that works for your group? How are we supposed to know what kind of social status mechanic will "deliver" for them?

>> No.15208099

>>15208052

The more ideas I have access to the better choice I can make, even if all of the ideas are not directly related, someone might say something that causes some kind of tangential thought that leads me to some insight. You know, brain storming.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action