Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
[ERROR] No.13984188 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

So do you like tau or imperial guard more?

>> No.13984206

>> No.13984218

>> No.13984225

Guard. They're not so two dimensional.

>> No.13984239

tau, imperial guard are pussyshit

>> No.13984241

Guard.

>> No.13984250

>> No.13984261

This is gonna turn into a guard thread isn't it?

>> No.13984266

Guard.

>> No.13984285

>>13984261

>implying it wasn't doomed from the start

>> No.13984286

THE GREAT ARMY OF THE IMPERIAL TAU

>> No.13984302

Guardsmen are 40K on ballzofsteel mode. Fuck your space commies and your railguns, we'll charge you with bayonets.

>> No.13984314

>>13984302
You're allied with space-mutants, and future!wizards.
Tau just use a fucking gun.

>> No.13984321

so why are tau so weak?
could they punch out a guardsman?

>> No.13984323

Guard.

>> No.13984332

being the ab IG player i'm going to say ig, but it is a matter of opinion so nothing is wrong or right

>> No.13984348

AS TAU WE PROSPER

>> No.13984352

>>13984321

>> No.13984361

>>13984314
And you motherfuckers are always claiming even the imperial guards tech is better than Tau, so you can't even claim having a shittier gun in your favour.
Tau are fucking boss, and the real underdogs of the 40k verse.>>13984336

>> No.13984363

>>13984336
I don't think anyone has ever claimed that "the entire Imperial Guard" is an underdog. The average Guardsman has a flak jacket and a lasgun, the average Fire Warrior has the standard suite of space-opera tech and a plasma gun that doesn't fucking explode in his face.

>> No.13984368

Guard. But Guard + Sisters is my fave.

>> No.13984376

>>13984361
Don't rightly know how that last >> got in there.

>> No.13984385

I like Tau more, largely because they're the most "modern human" faction.

High-tech.
Long-range combat.
Infantry with small-arms with called-in support.
Mobile tanks.
Drones.
Etc.

Having "No Magic", not being full of mutants, and not being -completely- xenophobic, make them feel more like humans than 40k humans.

That said, Guard are a close second. They seem (mostly) like humans, just stuck in the wrong era of warfare.

>> No.13984391

>>13984314
>>13984336
>space mutants
Huh? Are you talking about Space Marines or Ogryns? Because the former are also pussies, and the latter is useless.
>future wizards
You mean the Psykers who are prone to blow up via channeling hell through their brains to make an attack that isn't as good as our tanks?
>just use a fucking gun
Right, 30", Str 5 AP 5 is "just a fucking gun." Try 24", Str 3 AP -.
>And you motherfuckers are always claiming even the imperial guards tech is better than Tau, so you can't even claim that.
You mean our tractor tanks? I'm sure those are much better than your weeaboo battlesuits.
>Tau are fucking boss, and the real underdogs of the 40k verse.
No, nobody cares about them, since they're confined to approximately jackshit lightyears of space. They're only a playable race to lure in weeaboos to play 40K.

>> No.13984403

>>13984385
You forgot the Crisis Suits, the Vespid, and the Kroot - all of which have obvious parallels in our modern armies, such as the usage of giant bugs with sonic cannons that we mind-control via pheremones and headsets.

>> No.13984413

>>13984391

>> No.13984424

rolled 31 = 31

>>13984403

Someone hasn't seen the videos of Americans fighting in Iraq then.

>> No.13984435

>>13984391
Both, also ratlings, navigators, and all kinds of mutated shit.

You use your fucking future!wizards for travel, messages, and they're a perennial part of your army book.
Your entire army depends on fucking space!Magic.

So you admit your tech is shit? That's a first.

>> No.13984447

>>13984188
Every time I see that picture I cannot help but realize how absolutely badass that Hammerhead crew must be.

>> No.13984449

>>13984435
>ratlings
OH NO, NOT FUCKING MIDGETS. CLEARLY THE IG ARE OVERPOWERED NOW THAT THEY HAVE ALLIED THEMSELVES WITH SUCH DREAD FORCES. ALSO THIS IS A MUTATION THAT COULD ONLY EXIST IN THE FANTASTIC WORLD OF WARHAMMER 40,000

>> No.13984464

>>13984435
>So you admit your tech is shit? That's a first.
Literally the entire fucking Imperium is based on the concept of tech being shit, it's the fact that they can MASS PRODUCE IT that makes it good.

Seriously, where are you getting this from? Cite me a single conversation where somebody unironically said that the Imperium have better tech than the Tau. That's like the whole problem - the Tau's tech is all too clean and reliable for no reason other than "well we had time to work on it, whatever".

>> No.13984468

>>13984449
Who the fuck is talking about overpowered?

Your army isn't nearly as badass as you claim is what I'm saying.
The inclusion of fucking midgets is just part of that.

>> No.13984482

>>13984447
that picture made me want to use an ion cannon, and i did and i realize how incredibly awesome they are.

>> No.13984490

both are ok i guess

>> No.13984505

>>13984464
I can't cite nothing, because /tg/ thread fucking disappear.
Inb4 you claim it never happened.

That being said, why the fuck do you think the Tau can mass produce stuff?
They don't hold the crafting process of stuff to be a fucking religious rite, they just build it.
An entire 1/4th of their population is bred solely for the purpose of building shit.
They are actually free to pass down secrets, and as far as we know technological acumen doesn't correlate with insanity for the Tau.

>> No.13984513

>>13984435
You do realize that this space wizadry has allowed the imperium to control more than 5 planets, like the tau control, right?

>> No.13984514

>>13984468
>Your army isn't nearly as badass as you claim is what I'm saying.
And how does the presence of midgets with sniper rifles back up this claim? Are you really seeking to humiliate the Imperial Guard by drawing on their connection with short people? Because that totally doesn't jive with the rest of your post, which was about how weak they are because they have to use "Future!Wizards" (die in a fire for using fanfic notation, by the way) to communicate. That would suggest that you were unhappy with the IG's advantages, whereas that last post indicated that ratlings weren't meant to be considered an advantage.

>Your entire army depends on fucking space!Magic.
On the other hand, the Tau are only meant to go the equivalent of like five feet outside their zone of control because they DON'T HAVE "space magic", and yet somehow they keep getting involved in conflicts and are treated as a faction that's important enough to contend with everyone else. So, really, YOUR entire army relies on author magic.

>> No.13984520

>>13984505
>That being said, why the fuck do you think the Tau can mass produce stuff?

BECAUSE THERE ARE LESS OF THEM AND THEY DO NOT CONTROL AS MUCH TERRITORY

>> No.13984543

>>13984482
ion-cannons -mince- transports

throw on some burst cannons and you've got a party.

Railguns on the hammerhead are overpriced anyways, I hope they give you a reason to take it over broadsides in the new book

>> No.13984557

>>13984413
I agree. Tau are awesome. Eldar are more weeaboo then Tau.

>> No.13984558

>>13984514
The reason the Tau are important is that they are a very new race which progresses very quickly. The idea is that while they are small and inconsequential now, if their technology continues to progress as it has been and nothing gets around to killing them they will soon completely outclass the Imperium and Eldar.

>> No.13984569

>>13984543
indeed, ion cannons also make short work of most monstrous creatures (the dreadknight is the only one that the ion cannon will not make short work of)

>> No.13984571

>eldar rule a vast but corrupted empire that controls most of the galaxy
>humanity is an upstart race barely spreading through the universe, they lack psykers but are greatly technologically advanced and keep producing wonderful new technological inventions which give them the edge
>eldar create a chaos god, most of their race dies out
>with the fall of the eldar, humanity spreads across the stars, creates a vast empire of their own to fill in the vacuum

>humanity rules a vast but corrupted empire that controls most of the galaxy
>tau are an upstart race barely spreading through the universe, they lack psykers but are greatly technologically advanced and keep producing wonderful new technological inventions which give them the edge
>the emperor dies, becomes a chaos god, wipes out the majority of the human species as he becomes the chaos god of order (slavery)
>with the fall of the humanity, tau spreadsacross the stars, create a vast empire of their own to fill in the vacuum

>tau rule a vast but corrupted empire that controls most of the galaxy
...

>> No.13984580

>>13984543
>>13984482
It's badass art, sure, but Ion Cannons are shit on the tabletop.

>> No.13984614

>>13984571

>> No.13984616

>>13984571
You fool it was the Reapers all along!

>> No.13984621

>>13984520
And somehow having less territory means they can't mass produce stuff...
What you fail to notice there is the fact that their army is smaller.
They don't need a hundred forge worlds, because they don't have sixty gazillion troops.

>>13984514
Because it's all "HUMANITY FUCK YEAH", and "LOOK AT MY UNDERDOG, FIGHTING A WAR BY BASHING HIS ENEMIES BRAINS IN WITH HIS FUCKING HUGE-ASS BALLS" with you guys.
Yet the Guard rely on fucking magic, mutants, and tanks.

>> No.13984628

>>13984580
don't knock it till you try it

good for dealing with mid-armor threats that railguns/fusion guns would be wasted on

>> No.13984635

>>13984580
nope
115 points for one (ion cannon and 2 burst cannons) before wargear upgrades makes it a great choice in 1000-1500pt games where points are at a premium.

2 ion cannons and 2 broadsides really round out a heavy support slot and gives good mobile anti transport fire combined with some more stationary anti heavy armor fire.

its also great cover for your crisis suits.

>> No.13984672

>>13984621
>What you fail to notice there is the fact that their army is smaller.
Yes, that is in fact the "crux" of the argument - the Imperial Guard wins through attrition, rather than superior tactics. Also, the entire population is smaller (not just the military), so the ratio of "production" to "soldiers" is still basically the same.

>Because it's all "HUMANITY FUCK YEAH",
When we're talking about individual fucking guardsmen, i.e. the people you're actually supposed to sympathize with because they're normal humans. Again: the guard wins through ATTRITION, i.e. THE DEATH OF MILLIONS OF GUARDSMEN. THAT IS WHY GUARDSMEN - NOT THE GUARD ITSELF - ARE UNDERDOGS

Also don't bring up the fact that the Tau don't use the Warp as a point in their favor, it just adds to their generic space-opera nature (HRM A DEFINING ELEMENT OF THE SETTING, TIME TO IGNORE IT)

>> No.13984695

>>13984580
I'd also like to point out that a ion cannon will more likely do damage to av10 and 11 and is just as good as damaging av 12 as a hammerhead railgun.

the hammerhead railgun has the advantage that when it hits it will more likely wreck the vehicle, but it has a far worse chance of hitting.

Railguns:
for heavy armor
tough transports
independent non eternal warrior characters
small groups of semi-elite (armor save 4) warriors
massed groups of infantry

Ion cannons
For light transports
fast and small vehicles and vehicle squadrons
monstrous creatures
elite infantry (armor save 3)


they both have their uses.

>> No.13984716

>>13984628
>>13984635
The real problem is that the ion cannon lacks the versatility of the hammerhead railgun. It might be decent at plinking away at MC's or heavy infantry, but you're hosed against hordes then, and that's where the railhead shines; you've got the S10 AP1 single shot for popping things like battlewagons and then you have the large blast for the mobs of boyz as they run toward you.

The transport argument is a farce; you have battlesuits that can take autocannons for that (twin-linked even, should you be so inclined). MC's can be better dealt with by plasma suits anyway.

>> No.13984720

>>13984695
Actually, the Railgun has a better chance of immobilizing/destroying AV 11 than the Ion Canon. Slightly less point-efficient, but given the option for the large blast, as well as doing better against increasing armor values, it still is the "better" option overall.

>> No.13984751

>>13984720
yeah but the ion cannon is more likely to overall either stun or shake a vehicle. I'll agree that the rail gun will more likely blow it up..

IF it hits. but just preventing opponents from reaching your lines is a god send. and its not bad if you need to save on points.

Its not horribly unusable.

I'm not saying the railgun is bad and if you have the points for it for all purposes take it. But don't say the ion cannon is useless, because it really isn't.

>> No.13984785

>>13984720
Yeah, Ion Cannons are a weapon that fills a pretty specific niche, but it's still a good weapon. It's just a pity that it has to compete with the Railgun for turret space.

Usually I only take them against SM-based armies with light mech. They're pretty damn good at picking off devestators and assault marines when needed, especially with markerlight support.

>> No.13984788

>>13984672
Yea, regular humans backed by wizards, and supported by 9 feet tall mutants.

Whereas the Tau are weaker than everything else around them, fight for their countr-I mean empire in a war heavily stacked against their favour, living by the power of their gun and the strength of their resolve.

The Tau use the Warp, there's just no fucking wizardry involved.

>> No.13984801

>>13984751
Nobody said it was useless. Just that there are better options in the Tau book. And really, that means that you can't afford to take the ion cannon over the railgun, sadly. Point efficiency NEEDS to be your explicit goal with Tau, otherwise you'll be too bloated and too angular to deal with all types of armies. Incidentally, this is a big part of the whole "Tau always lose" argument.

Maybe if it had something like d6 shots, or pinning, it might be worth it.

>> No.13984807

>>13984720
Math for posterity.

The chance of an Ion Cannon shot immobilizing or destroying AV 11 is equal to:
(2/3)((1/6)(1/6)+(1/3)(1/2)) or 12%
The odds of at least one of the three is not a flat multiplied value of 36%, but instead, you do value=
1-((1-(.12))^3)=34%. So roughly about the same.

Meanwhile, the Railgun is:
(2/3)((1/6)(1/3)+(5/6)(2/3))=40%.

Even considering the extra shots, the AP 1 means more overall. The difference becomes greater as enemy AV increases. Granted, you could use the Ion cannon for suppresslocking enemy vehicles, but you're Tau. You need to *stop* transports outright. Also, you have Crisis Suits for that.

>> No.13984838

>>13984788
Plus I like that they're the only guys who go "Holy shit, the Warp is actually pretty fucking dangerous! We should like, figure out a way to travel FTL that DOESN'T involve cosmic horrors nomming us!"

>> No.13984848

>>13984788
>Whereas the Tau are weaker than everything else around them,
Yeah, PHYSICALLY. You keep forgetting to factor in the fucking TECHNOLOGY. That's like saying modern dudes with assault rifles are the underdogs against Spartan warriors in their prime.
>The Tau use the Warp, there's just no fucking wizardry involved.
They skim across it. It might as well be hyperspace for them. They don't - for example - run the risk of being eaten by fucking demons.

>> No.13984853

>>13984838
Common sense has no place in GRIMDARK.

>> No.13984878

>>13984838
"I suppose the tradeoff would be that our empire would be miniscule! Also, the relative lack of warp corruption would suggest that all of the Imperium's restrictions on things like free speech would be unwarranted for us!"

"Oh well, time to be treated like a major faction and be a bunch of spacefaring fascist dicks anyways!"

>> No.13984921

I want to play 40k, because I have friends who play, and I want to play too.

However, "space mutant/church/elves/orks" don't really appeal, because I want something more sci-fi.

That leaves me with... Tau or Tyranids.

I don't want to play monsters.

Therefor: Tau.

Them being a Sci-Fi option in a predominantly Sci-Fantasy setting is part of the appeal. As is being less obviously GrimDerp in a predominantly GrimDerp setting.

>> No.13984942

>>13984921
>GrimDerp
You have no idea what this means.

>> No.13984974

>>13984942
mfw your opinion.

>> No.13984975

>>13984848
They do have the risk of being sitting ducks, as even the heaviest, slowest Ork vessel will outrun and outmanoeuvre the Tau.

>> No.13984995

>>13984520
You... you do live on Earth right? You know that production has only increased as the population has increased? You know that as more of the Earth became industrialised quality of life has increased?

>> No.13985027

I prefer Tau, but the Guard have a wider variety of models.

>> No.13985032

>>13984801
>>13984672
i dont under stand what you too are arguing about. are you trying to figure out who is the main under dog, or who is stronger in general.

>> No.13985062

>>13984995
You're using the wrong metaphor.

You see, the Tau have a small empire, with short trade routes.

The Imperium encompasses the entire galaxy, smaller and bigger enclaves surrounded by the hostile void, or hostile alien empires. The Imperium consists of trillions of trading routes, quarantined zones, hazardous places, no-travel zones.

Then again, the enormous size of the Imperium makes it nearly impossible to destroy, as well giving it near endless resources and manpower.
Remember, the only things the Imperium runs short on, is time.
In a sense, they're a post-scarcity society. They just pour all their energy in war.

>> No.13985085

>>13984716
>The transport argument is a farce; you have battlesuits that can take autocannons for that (twin-linked even, should you be so inclined). MC's can be better dealt with by plasma suits anyway.

and you have have piranha's and broadsides that can deal with heavy armor, and flamer/burst cannon suits that can deal with hordes.

whats your point, that multiple units in the tau codex do certain jobs?

Ion cannons are not completely useless. and considering that a single weapon destroyed can make both tanks as equally useless at least the ion cannon saved you 35pts that you could spend on crisis suits instead. or heck taking two of them.

>>13984807
true, but being able to neutralize more transports is still a good thing as tau. stop them from getting close and you have more time to shoot at them. Alternatively an ion cannon and take out heavy weapon elements in the backfield that are being a pain to your own armored elements. and unlike a crisis suit that has 36" range autocannons, an ion cannons 60" ensures that it will never lack for targets. and can react to almost anything on a typical board.

>> No.13985129

Guard are more relatable. They're like Vietnam or WWII vets. I get a real sense of roughneck soldiery that can only come from years of blood, sweat and tears spent as expendable frontline cannon fodder.

Sorry but I'm just not getting that feeling from the Tau. They're too sci-fi and 40K at the end of the day is really more about the tough grittiness of war and life trauma.

>> No.13985137

>>13984995
The person being responded to used the wrong word. The argument was that "the Tau can mass produce things too" and the rebuttal was "the Imperium has more worlds and a larger population and can thus produce far more than the Tau ever could".

>> No.13985156

>>13985129
Exactly. Plus, the average Guardsman may come from a brainwashed, super-Theocratic background, but he's still a human. Tau have caste systems and concepts molded into their brains - not just in the "cultural" sense like India, but in an unavoidable biological sense. It's like trying to relate to ants.

>> No.13985215

>>13984188
Tau, purely because of their association with Kroot, Vespid, and other interesting little minor Xenos races. The Tau themselves are only barely higher than the IG at the bottom of the pile for me.

>> No.13985234

>>13985215
You're a pretty shitty fangirl, DLFG.

>> No.13985253

>>13985234
She likes Tyranids. She's a girl. They all do.

>> No.13985260

>>13985156
Seriously, it's kind of depressing to know that no Tau will ever break their bonds and try to do something outside of their Ethereal-designated function. There are no renegade Tau, no Tau that try to break barriers and mate with members of other castes or even try to take up martial arts or equip a fucking sword or machete so that might actually have a plan B if their railguns fail them.

Shit even the Guard have fucking bayonets. Tau have to rely on a whole other SPECIES for close quarter combat. Fucking fail.

>> No.13985277

>>13985260
>no Tau will ever break their bonds and try to do something outside of their Ethereal-designated function.

Farsight and his group of renegades would say otherwise.

>> No.13985283

>>13985260
> no rogue Tau
> no use of close combat weapons
> Farsight

youjustwentfullretard.jpg

>> No.13985284

>>13985260
>>Mfw commander farsight.

>> No.13985310

>>13984188
>Tau
>Letting Nids even get that close

I sure hope they don't mind all those battlesuits and pilots going to waste

>> No.13985313

>>13985284
To elaborate for the unknowing.
Commander farsight was one of the highest ranking Tau Military commanders.
His Ethereal leader died during a mission.
He no longer thinks the Tau Empire is hot shit.
He uses a huge ass sword, that likely is daemonic in nature.

O'Shovah just broke all of your clauses.

>> No.13985315

Tau are ugly, plain and simple.

Tyranid and Orks are ugly too but in a cool way. Tau are ugly in a purely retarded way.

Like looking at an aborted fetus.

>> No.13985330

>>13985284
>>13985283
>>13985277
Farsightmind.

>> No.13985370

>>13985315
I'd like Tau better if they didn't have hooved feet.

Hooved feet look stupid on any non half cow humanoid race

>> No.13985371

>>13985315
... did you see the pre-blizzard 'nids?

>> No.13985381

>>13985313
But does he mate outside his caste?

>> No.13985395

>>13985381
As far as Farsight is concerned, there's only ONE caste.

Full retard if you can't guess which on it is.

>> No.13985397

>>13985371
YOU FUCK!

STARCRAFT WAS RELEASED ONE YEAR AAAAAAAAAAAAFTER THE TYRANID REDESIGN!

GUESS WHAT?

JURASSIC PARK MERCHANDISE ANNIHILATED THE TOY MARKET ONE YEAR BEFORE THE TYRANID REDESIGN!

GET IT IN YOUR FU-CKING HEAD, YOU FUCKING PIGCUNT!

TYRANIDS = SPACE DINOSAURS

JURASSIC PARK IN SPACE!

NOT GODDAMN BLOODY FUCKING BUGS!

>> No.13985403

>>13985313
>that likely is daemonic in nature.

That's a bit of a leap. I'm not sure there's enough hints regarding Farsight's blade for it to be likely one way or the other. It's certainly not of Tau origin, that's for sure, but I've heard theories that it's Chaos, Necron, or Eldar in origin. Or it might be none, and simply a relic of some long-forgotten minor Xenos species.

>> No.13985406

>>13985330
I am proud

>> No.13985452

>>13985313
Nah man it's obviously C'tan.

>> No.13985455

>>13985403
Regardless, it had to have been wielded by something HUGE if only a battlesuit could carry it.

>> No.13985456

>>13985397
life will find a way

The Anphelion Project should be mandatory fluff reading aside Xeneology

both really nifty books

>> No.13985466

>>13985284
>>13985283
>>13985277
>>13985260

There is a reason why i play a list that i call O'shava Origins.

The list entire purpose is to get an ethereal killed. I know ethereals suck, but the satisfaction of seeing an ethereal die in every game is actually worth it.

I have lots of crisis suits so that the ethereals bonus preferred enemy does work on them...

i know that one day i'll see all my crisis suits flee the field, but untill then this list is too fun for me not to play.

>> No.13985473

>>13985381
He only brought along Fire caste.
Probably some Air caste for transport.
I bet the air-wenches
are getting passed around to all the firewarriors though.

>>13985403
Do you see any Gauss-thingies on it?
Not necron.
That leaves Chaos, Eldar, or an unknown race.
Bringing in some unknown race is lame, so there we have Chaos, or Eldar.

Farsight is much older than normal Tau's get, this could be explained by Chaos.
Thus it gets my bet.

>> No.13985478

>>13985456
Man, I would pay a shitload of money to play on a table based on Jurassic Park.

>> No.13985480

>>13985466
>The list entire purpose is to get an ethereal killed. I know ethereals suck, but the satisfaction of seeing an ethereal die in every game is actually worth it.
This is so pathetic that I'm almost insulted at the concept.

>> No.13985484

>>13985397
but tau were a games workshop ripoff of the protoss

>> No.13985494

>>13985455
looks almost exactly like a wraith-sword, to be honest

>> No.13985505

>>13985397
Regardless of the cause of the redesign, it was still really necessary.
They were ugly as shit.

>> No.13985511

>>13985480
why because it makes everyone i've ever played laugh at the idea and generally brightens the mood at the table.

Its fun.

>> No.13985523

how about

tyranids = zerg
tau = protoss
space marines = terran
zelnaga = eldar

>> No.13985538

>>13985466
I like it. It always makes me laugh when people have the Ethereal kicked out of a devilfish just to die.

>> No.13985540

>>13985523
Oh boy, here we go again.

>Blizzard stealing from GW stealing from Blizzard etc. etc. etc.

>> No.13985542

>>13985466
I like your style mate. Ethereal-throat-slitting-brofist.

>>13985480
CRY SOME MORE!

ENTIRE ETHEREAL TEAM IS BABIES ON GALACTIC SCALE!

>> No.13985552

>>13985511
I'd love to try that someday, but that means actually shelling out money to buy an Ethereal.

And that's terrible.

>> No.13985558

>>13985523
no, the protoss are based off the Eldar

>psychically resonant building materials
>"dark" counterpart
>engineered by the "old ones"
>teleporting shit onto the field
>highly psychic

>> No.13985562

>>13985455
True. That's the most interesting thing - the size alone means it had to be really quite exceptional.

>>13985473
>Not necron.
But possibly C'tan. Or, alternatively, a relic of Necrontyr technology from before the arrival of the C'tan. We don't really know when the Necrontyr developed Gauss technology.

>Bringing in some unknown race is lame
Matter of opinion, really. IMO it'd be nice if everything in 40k didn't always come back to one of the big players - some more hints on the myriad of minor races that exist, or once existed, would add some nice extra flavour to the setting.

Farsight's age is certainly the biggest pointer towards there being some unnatural influence sustaining him, which could certainly point towards Chaos influence, knowing or otherwise. Though I've also heard the theory that "Farsight" is an inherited title, with the previous Commander nominating a successor to take up his mantle upon death, thus ensuring he remains as a leader and figurehead among his people.

>>13985505
The old termagants were, and still are, really goddamn cute.

>> No.13985566

>>13985540
Just ignore him. He's autistic and probably homosexual. Better stay quiet until he moves to /jp/.

>> No.13985580

>>13985403
>Chaos, Necron, or Eldar in origin

It's just a plot device to suggest he is being controlled by the weapon or an outside influence.

I suspect he is being controlled by squ-

>> No.13985584

>>13985562
No, no they were not.

>> No.13985598

>>13985562
Ah, look. It's our Tyranid expert.

What about mr. Bateman's Tyranid=Dinosaur hypothesis?
>>13985397

>> No.13985606

>>13985552
yeah i'm lucky in that some guy gave me an ethereal when i was starting tau.

I would've thought he was trolling until i found out that the model is a limited edition ethereal that is very hard to find.

I'd just say use a random firewarrior or something. I made a cameraman out of a tank commander (and i was going to attempt to make a reporter (originally to be used as an ethereal, but now i'd use them as shield drones for my commanders or my ethereal. because its kinda funny)

>> No.13985620

>>13985562
>Farsight's age is certainly the biggest pointer towards there being some unnatural influence sustaining him, which could certainly point towards Chaos influence, knowing or otherwise. Though I've also heard the theory that "Farsight" is an inherited title, with the previous Commander nominating a successor to take up his mantle upon death, thus ensuring he remains as a leader and figurehead among his people.
>Though I've also heard the theory that "Farsight" is an inherited title, with the previous Commander nominating a successor to take up his mantle upon death,

I'm personally partial to this dread pirate farsight version.

>> No.13985628

>>13985580
I forgot to add we are just meant to speculate and make us debate pointless as fans so we are kept intrested in the setting. For examples see this thread.

>> No.13985630

>>13985466
I've gone up against a list like that a few times. I tried to never kill him. It was great watching the ethereal walk around trying to die. Sometimes I shot him to make the game more interesting.

>> No.13985653

>>13985598
it's mentioned in the design notes from the WD's back in the day

six-armed space dinosaurs was the term I think they used.. It's also where they mentioned the orkoid/eldar/space marine influence in the biovore/zoanthrope/tyrant guard

>> No.13985654

>>13985630
in that case the ethereal should get into an assault or just uses his moral benefit for any crisis suit (he's still worth something if alive)

and in the worst case scenario just make him run to a point the enemy has to kill him if they want to capture the point.

nothing better than winning a game because your opponent didn't kill that one ethereal that is now contesting a point from a mob of 20 ork boys.

>> No.13985659

>>13985598
>What about mr. Bateman's Tyranid=Dinosaur hypothesis?

The White Dwarf released at the same time as the 4th edition Codex included an article that discussed the inspirations and changing generations of the Tyranid aesthetics. It did mention that the original design brief was "alien dinosaurs", yes, though I'm not sure how accurate it is that they were designed to capitalise on the Jurassic Park wave.

>> No.13985662

>>13985397
AND YET THEY HAVE 6 LIMBS, HAVE "BROODS", POSSESS PARASITES, AND FUCKING BEE-LIKE CREATURES.
TYRANIDS ARE FUCKING BUGS.

>> No.13985682

>>13985662
Just like yer mom, innit?

>> No.13985688

>>13985662
uh, no

they're aliens

alien dinosaurs

this is from the designer's mouths, not mine

notice how winged tyranids have thick, leathery wings?

>> No.13985703

>>13985682
MY MOM ONLY HAS ONE VESTIGIAL ARM, YOU TAKE THAT BACK SIR!

>> No.13985727

>>13985662
>AND YET THEY HAVE 6 LIMBS
So Shoggoths are space bugs now too? Or the Great Race of Yith? Or those aliens from the Simpsons?

>HAVE "BROODS"
Greys have broods too, so do the Sectoids.

>POSSESS PARASITES
Humans possess parasites. Are we insects?

>AND FUCKING BEE-LIKE CREATURES.
In their bioweapons. They're Space Dinosaurs that shoot Space Bugs.

>captcha: parasite rtardd
>why yes of course!

>> No.13985731

>>13985688
Another point raised was that the name of the race - Tyranids - was chosen to try to evoke images of the Tyrannosaurus Rex. Which in turn may have been part of the motivation behind naming the big leader creature "Hive Tyrant" rather than something else.

>> No.13985748

>>13985688
AND THAT SOMEHOW OVERRIDES THE AMOUNT OF LIMBS, RAPID EVOLUTION, PARASITES, AND THE EXISTENCE OF A "QUEEN" TYRANID.
GOTCHA.

>> No.13985766

>>13985748
Since when do bugs evolve rapidly?

>> No.13985767

>>13985558
the protoss are based on the eldar and the tau are based on the protoss

>> No.13985771

>>13985727
SOME TYRANIDS ARE PARASITES.
SUBTLE DIFFERENCE.

CAN'T RIGTHLY THINK OF A DINOSAUR PARASITE.
THOUGH A RAPTORSQUITO WOULD BE PRETTY COOL.
WOULD'VE MADE THE LAST JURASSIC PARK MOVIE MORE INTERESTING ANYWAY.

>> No.13985797

>>13985766
SINCE ALWAYS.
THEY DIE QUICKLY, AND BREED RAPIDLY.
THAT'S KINDA HOW EVOLUTION WORKS.

Ahem.
The Caps-lock thing is getting overdone, though it was a good way to identify me.

>> No.13985803

>>13985727
On the other hand, it's a little unfair to rag on him so hard. Tyranids do have several insectile attributes - their aesthetic seems to be one of a reptilian creature built around an insectile body structure. Six limbs, exterior carapace plates, and so on.

>> No.13985804

tiranids are space bugs

>> No.13985809

Warmaster Abaddon here.

Tau are pussies.

Imperial guard are much better since you can turn them traitor.

>> No.13985819

>>13985748
THEY'RE FUCKING ALIENS

I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO EXPLAIN SHIT

IF THE DESIGNERS SAY THEY'RE DINOSAURS, THEY'RE FUCKING DINOSAURS

>> No.13985835

>>13985809
Hello failbaddon, how many things have you failed to do this fine day?
I'm guessing all of them.

>> No.13985837

>>13985819

>>IF THE DESIGNERS SAY THEY'RE DINOSAURS, THEY'RE FUCKING DINOSAURS

no, they are bugs, space bugs

>> No.13985847

Exactly. They are reptiles, or were, depending on how you choose to look at it. They can re-engineer themselves. Some of them have insect like attributes. But they are reptiles.

>> No.13985852

>>13985804

Space dinosaurs you mean

>> No.13985867

>>13985835
>how many things have you failed to do this fine day?
None. In fact, today has been a rather successful day. I corrupted an entire guard regiment, conquered a Hive world for the glory of chaos and another squad of Berzerkers swore their allegiance to me.

>> No.13985895

>>13985852
no, space bugs, they have 6 limbs, an exoskeleton, they use acid and bugs as ammo, they are superspecies with a queen, they have warriors like ant colonies, they are like a mixture of the xenomorphs from alien and space bugs.they are not dinosaurs with bugs parts, they are bugs that look like fucking aliens from the alien movies

>> No.13985914

Space dinosaurs with six limbs, chitinous carapaces and a... HIVE mind. Not really hitting the nail on there really.

>> No.13985917

>>13985867
Ahem.

>> No.13985921

>>13985890
>They don't lay eggs.
Yes they do. Hormagaunts lay clutches of eggs, a couple of codexes ago IIRC it was suggested that Termagants and Gargoyles did as well. Some Tyranid breeds are hatched from eggs produced by the Norn Queens aboard Hive Ships.

>They don't look reptilian.
That's very subjective, though.

>> No.13985923

I'm highly amused that a Taufag vs IGfag thread has now devolved into a terminology argument over how Tyranids should be classified.

Only in /tg/.

>> No.13985933

>>13985867
You also failed your Deceive roll.

>> No.13985939

>>13985917
DAMMIT CREED!

>> No.13985945

good thing i'm here, cos you're ALL retards.
Nids are ALIENS. they are neither insects nor reptiles, but have traits of both. everybody calls them bugs because of their insectoid traits, and more importantly because they are one of many fictional "bug-type-aliens", like the starship troopers bugs (novel AND movie version) or the aliens from the ALIEN movies. only once a GW designer pointed out that they actually have more in common with lizards or dinosaurs, and you idiots think it means "nids=lizards=canon"?
the man said that their design is based of insects AND lizards.
once again: they are neither bugs nor dinosaurs. they are fukken aliens that just happen to look like a mix between those. duh!

>> No.13985957

RAWRRRR, IM A DINOSUAAAARRRR, THEY CALL ME PENISRAPTOR REX!!!!! AND I AM AN INQUISITOR TOO!!!

>> No.13985959

>>13985917
>you gonna get raped.png

>> No.13985972

>>13985945
Smartest comment in this entire thread.

>> No.13985995

>>13985921
I deleted mah post due that very failing.
The eggs I mean.
I stand by the rest though.

>> No.13986029

>>13985945
Except they have nothing in common with reptiles whatsoever.
And all anyone seems to bring up is "Leathery wings! and... A GUY AT GW SAID SO".
To which I can only laugh derisively.

>> No.13986046

>>13986029
>A GUY AT GW SAID SO

Try "the people who designed the race said so".

>> No.13986062

>>13985957
>>AND IM AN INQUISITOR TOO
>>nobody will get the joke

>> No.13986085

>>13986046
Death of the author bro.
Death of the author.

"Because I said so" is not a valid criteria.

>> No.13986091

Neither, like them both about equal.

>> No.13986122

>>13986091
The Gue'vesa use spray-tan?

>> No.13986130

>>13986066
>>13986029
except it's perfectly valid in 40k lore terms

also, tyranids have internal skeletons

insects don't

>> No.13986132

>>13986085
Death of the Author applies to meaning and morality.

It does not override the artist's source of inspiration.

"Yeah, when I designed the Tyranids I was looking at dinosaurs and thinking-" "NO YOU WEREN'T, THEY'RE BUGS, YOU ARE LYING TO YOURSELF"

>> No.13986134

>>13985957

>> No.13986159

>>13986134
but thats not hektor rex

>> No.13986188

>>13986132
You know what.
I'd accept it.
If you could find something reptilian in their design, which you can't.
Except LEATHERY WINGS!1!

>> No.13986276

>>13986188
internal skeletons rather than exoskeletons

reptilian eyes

long tails used for lateral balance while running

their animal 'pack-like' mentality when out of synapse

The hive mind and six limbs are all that's going for the insectoid part of things, but that can be chalked up to 'they're fucking aliens'

>> No.13986293

>>13986188
Tyranids having armoured plates that hold the middle between insectious chitin plates, and crocodile/ankylosaurus armour.

Tyranids walking on their hindlegs, upright, instead of walking like bugs.

TAILS.

Reptilian heads.

Teeth.

Horns and spikes. Insects don't have horns and spikes. They have horned or spiked chitin armour plates.

You are a prime example of someone who doesn't know anything about how to look with your eyes.

>> No.13986428

>>13986293
That's hardly a point in the favour of reptiles.

... Most reptiles crawl. Plenty of insects use only four of their leg for walking, and some can even use only two.
Try again.

Real tails are an impossibility in insects, I'll give you that.
Not so for Arachnids though, and several insects have tail-like appendages.

Those look like xenomorphs, not reptiles.

Xenomorphs have teeth.

Spiked armour plating does somehow not equal spikes.
'kay.
Can't think of a reptile with true horns though, though horned lizards come close I'll admit.

>> No.13986469

>>13986293
when most people look at the tiranids they dont see SPACE DINOSAURS , they see space bugs
- "COMMANDER WE HAVE AN INFESTATION OF SPACE DINOSAURS" sounds worst than "COMMANDER WE HAVE A SPACE BUG INFESTATION"

also didnt the orks used the term bug to call them in dawn of war 2? they didnt say BOZZ, THE DINOZAURS HAVE DESTROYED OUR ELECTRIC BOOGALOO"

>> No.13986486

>>13986428
You are fucking retarded.

Armoured scale skin?

Check.

True horns and spikes?

Check.

Bipedal?

Check.

You are a retard?

Check.

>and your xenomorph argument is bullshit, as a xenomorph is a fusion of all terrifying assets of insects, fish, amphibians, reptiles and mammals. Guess they forgot birds.

>> No.13986503

>>13986469
Because Orks are known for their intelligence.

Give it up, mate. Team Jurassic Park wins.

Termagant = Velociraptor with gun.

>> No.13986519

>>13986428
>Can't think of a reptile with true horns though, though horned lizards come close I'll admit.

ARE YOU FUCKING WITH ME?

A FOUR YEAR OLD KID IS FUCKING SMARTER THAN YOU!

>> No.13986539

DINOSAURS ARE NOT REPTILES.
THEY ARE MUCH CLOSER TO AVIANS.
IN FACT, AVIANS ARE THE ONLY LIVING DINOSAURS.
DINOSAURS BRANCHED OFF FROM REPTILES AROUND 250 MILLION YEARS AGO.

>> No.13986560

>>13986503
>Termagant = Velociraptor with gun.

Hormagaunt = Velociraptor with two extra, stabbier arms would probably be more accurate.

>> No.13986568

>>13986539
40k has plasmaguns, and warpdrives that travel through Hell.

It only uses the popular "concept" of dinosaurs. Not the palaeontological concept.

You should understand that.

>> No.13986580

Looks like a bug to me

>> No.13986583

>>13986539
That debate is still ongoing.

Hell, I would say that Dinosaurs are their very own subspecies, independent from Birds.

>> No.13986593

>>13986580
Looks like a dinosaur with bug legs to me.

>> No.13986601

RAWR IM A DINOSAUR!!!!

>> No.13986619

>>13986593

>> No.13986661

>>13986601
I just changed a generic Tyrannosaur toy into a Hive Tyrant.

You can't do that with a generic insect toy.

>> No.13986681

>>13986580
Looks like a god-damned alien to me.

>> No.13986764

>>13986580
>>13986593
>>13986619

Behold! How to create Biotitans without Forgeworld!

>> No.13986776

need I elaborate?

>> No.13986778

>>13986619
Bill Nye has never been used so wrong.

>> No.13986799

WHO HAS SHIT MELEE NOW?!

>> No.13986806

>>13986776
>implying the Vostroyans didn't lose that battle terribly

>> No.13986820

>>13986806
>implying that they didn't make the tau pay so utterly terribly in blood for it they lost all taste for battle.

>> No.13986822

>>13986799

>conscript
>unarmed
>on floor

It's you. You still do.

>> No.13986824

>>13986764
That would...
actually work pretty well, come to think of it. the only problem is that most generic sauropod toys arent that big. and it would require a lot of greenstuff work and random nid plating to disguise it's cheap-plastic-dinosaurness.

>> No.13986829

>>13986661
>>13986764
Sounds like I've just found a reason to begin a Tyranid army.

>> No.13986847

>>13986822
The guardsman has a knife, too. He's just choosing to shit himself and die rather than fight the intimidating Tau Firewarrior.
THE GREATER GOOD PREVAILS

>> No.13986848

>>13986824
The big pro of course is that sauropod toys come in much more varied poses than a Biotitan.

This can be especially handy if you make like a diorama.

>> No.13986865

>>13986799
Damn Tau. Keep your eye on the situation.

>> No.13986888

>>13986847
these models are off

tau were supposed to be a re-imagining of the space dwarf originally but slowly turned into weeaboo faggots

that is a fucking huge fire warrior if we are being honest

>> No.13986902

>>13986799
>The guardsman kicks the Tau.
>The Tau falls over, breaking his leg.
>The guardsman stands up and kicks the Tau.
>Blue blood everywhere.

>> No.13986937

>>13986888
Did you just read what you wrote or are you just trollin?

>> No.13986948

>>13986902
Purple, my friend. Purple.

>my Orks vs. Tau
>why is there purple on their weapons? wasn't that red last week?
>yup
>wait a minute! OH YOU- FFFFFFFFFFFF-
>ork_face.jpg

>> No.13986967

>>13986902
Nice fanfiction.

>> No.13987034

>>13986967
>higher initiative and weaponskill
not that far off, really

>> No.13987097

>>13986539

Wrong wrong wrong. Go back to organismal biology and re-learn how evolution via natural selection works.

>> No.13987121

>>13986799
You omitted the next scene were you weeaboo blade chips and shatters against the bayonet that the guardsmen is holding and he guts you blue ass.

Pssh fyi: Tau firewarriors are 5'0'' and have less strength than a relatively fit human woman, and slower reflexes.

>> No.13987268

>>13985558
>psychically resonant building materials

At the end of the day, protoss tech is still actual tech, not magic playdough.

>"dark" counterpart

A dichotomy based off of ideals about individuality, not "I still kind of want to rape things, even though my soul is going to be slowly sucked away from me."

It is an old trope, unless you're going to say that Star Wars stole from Games Workshop also.

>engineered by the "old ones"

I'll give you that one.

>teleporting shit onto the field

Advanced aliens teleporting shit? Clearly this is something Games Workshop invented.

>highly psychic

Since when were Psychic Aliens also something games workshop invented? They look more like Greys than fucking Eldar.

Also, the new Ravener design came out after Starcraft. Deal with it.

>> No.13987320

>>13987268
You idiot. Raveners hardly changed.

They just flattened their heads a bit.

>> No.13987359

I like each for different reasons and I cant choose one over the other because of this.

I like the Tau and I like how they are, in a sense, the only good within the galaxy but, occasionally something rather dark creeps up in their fluff and it makes me a little uneasy.

The Imperial Guard are awesome since they are everyday humans fighting against all these horrors from space. Problem is some fluff paints them dying every second which kinda kills any real fun you can have with them since every character just dies.

>> No.13987396

>>13987359
>they are, in a sense, the only good within the galaxy

THIS PLEASES THE ETHEREALS

>> No.13987433

tau on the right looks mighty happy

>> No.13987802

>>13987359
>The Imperial Guard are awesome since they are everyday humans fighting against all these horrors from space. Problem is some fluff paints them dying every second which kinda kills any real fun you can have with them since every character just dies.

LIFE'S A BITCH AND THEN YOU DIE

Really though, they're just free of the plot armor of most settings. If you threw normal humans up against ALIEN DINOSAURS and SPACE CHINESE and FUNGUS MEN with guns that shoot about as far as you can spit, they would die in the same amounts.

>> No.13987822

Somebody shoop'd their :( into :)

>> No.13987907

Tau have the most preposterous plot armor of all the factions in 40k, even beating out the marine sues.

Guard have no plot armor to hide behind, and have to make do with blood, guts, a whole lot of tanks, and the indomitable human spirit.

Which do you think I fucking like more?

>> No.13988079

Lets see some of your Guard and Tau lists.

>> No.13989974

bump

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action