Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 66 KB, 600x335, Pandora11.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12787268 No.12787268 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

how would the space marines have dealt with the situation on Pandora?

>> No.12787282

Grounds for exterminatus. I'm fairly sure it would just be a political facade to give an excuse to get rid of the xenos and place humans on such a rich planet.

Although imperium politics might be a tad more on the retard side of the fence.

>> No.12787284
File: 50 KB, 624x600, 624px-AngryMarine9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12787284

EXTERMINATUS

>> No.12787290

Cleanse. Purge. Kill.

Did you expect any other answer?

>> No.12787296

warp storm before they can exterminate. 6000 years later navi empire spreading greater good.

>> No.12787297
File: 19 KB, 591x399, Extermina.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12787297

>> No.12787298
File: 58 KB, 500x313, rogue_trader.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12787298

MURDER THE FUCK OUT OF EVERYONE AT POINT BLACK RANGE

>> No.12787309

>>12787297
wouldnt that also destroy the mineral deposits

>> No.12787313
File: 59 KB, 234x250, 243546464.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12787313

Send in da boys

>> No.12787317

>>12787268

There would have been no politics at all considering the natives didn't have anything worth while about themselves. There wouldn't even be an Avatar program and the natives would be killed as they got in the way. There is no such thing as bad press when slaughtering aliens.

>> No.12787322

I don't think they'd Exterminatus it right off the bat, there ARE resources on the planet after all. More likely they'd stage a ground invasion, and wouldn't call for Exterminatus until after they suffered enough losses (or believed they couldn't achieve their objectives without excessive casaulties).

>> No.12787329

Just get the Astrades Bitches to torch the whole planet with their holy prometheus fire

>> No.12787333
File: 35 KB, 604x377, 1284165452461.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12787333

>> No.12787341

>>12787309
The Imperium obviously doesn't need unobtainium.

Fuck the xenos

>> No.12787346

They wouldn't have even brought in space marines. A regiment of Catachan would be better.

>> No.12787350

>>12787322

Life Eater Virus. EVERYWHERE.

Wait six hours.

Obtain Unobtanium.

>> No.12787356

>>12787268
They'd have no trouble with any of the wild life or native, they've faced down tougher 'Nids than anything on that planet.

Airstrikes would clear away all the of their settlements, and Marine drops would clean up the mess.

After that, humans could colonize with a Imperial Guard (Catachan) presence with not much of a worry.

>> No.12787362
File: 134 KB, 600x878, 26405_sm-2nd Edition, Artwork, Catachan, Copyright Games Workshop, Imperial Guard, Retro Review.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12787362

Too little threat to warrant spacemarines, they would simple sed in catachans and sit back as they trollrape the navi all across pandora

>> No.12787363

Why do you retards think they would exterminatus an entire fucking planet, filled with resources and could sustain human life after being properly cleansed?

>> No.12787372

>>12787322
This

Except they wouldn't suffer losses if they sent SPACE MARINES down to the planet, which is a stretch.

This a job for the guard, probably a company from a hive world seeing as the atmosphere would just be a slight inconvenience to them considering the planets they come from.

>> No.12787378
File: 530 KB, 620x824, Necron Warrior.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12787378

As the Imperium attacks
>Suddenly Ork Space Hulk
>Suddenly Necron raiders
>Suddenly Eldars from a hidden webway gate
>Suddenly Chaos from a warp storm

We've got a new Apocalypse scenario to play!

>> No.12787393

>>12787378
Fund it.

>> No.12787407

Send in some Catachans.

An assignment on Pandora would be like a paid vacation compared to the shit they're used to.

>> No.12787408
File: 135 KB, 798x720, 1286743349783.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12787408

>>12787363

the planet is alive and has the ability to rally the planet's indigenous species against hostile invaders

>> No.12787417
File: 54 KB, 750x600, avatar ending.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12787417

as long as they didn't send the Ultrasmurf's, Crimson Fists or any other chapter that was exceptionally blue it would have been simple. "Battle-brothers, kill the blue xenos! If it is blue and it moves it must burn!"

>> No.12787424
File: 115 KB, 726x1024, 453643.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12787424

>>12787408

Good, then we will have more things to kill!

>> No.12787435

>>12787408
And how does the imperium know this prior to landing on the goddamn planet?

>> No.12787460

>>12787408

The Catachans in Death World were able to take on a whole Ork infestation on a planet that makes zombies out of dead things.

>> No.12787469

>>12787435

The Ordo Xenos has pict-logs of the martyrdom of St. Quarritch in 154.M3.

>> No.12787476

>>12787435
they can scan planets easily enough, and there's the potentially fuckhuge psychic emanation that the planet would be letting off that would be making all of the navigators/sanctioned psykers shit their pants

>> No.12787485

Chaos has the ability to corrupt anything sentient, right?

Pandora is sentient.

Therefore, Slaaneshi planet.

>> No.12787486

>>12787282
>>12787284

It's stated to be a valuable planet, that's why humans are after the planet in the first place. I'd say cleansing with holy promethium, na'vi weapons wouldn't do much to power armor anyway.

>> No.12787487

>>12787407
Funniest thing?

They enjoy living on Catachan

Probably my favorite guard regiment to read about. They're always really nice guys

>> No.12787500

>>12787408
If you cut the central nervious cortex then it wont be able to do that.

>> No.12787507

What would happen would depend on what faction of the Imperium found the moon first. I could see some wanting to study the planet to better understand a hive mind.

>>12787408

That was only because the main character linked up with the hive mind. The female told him that the hive mind wouldn't interfere and it was pointless.

>> No.12787511
File: 35 KB, 371x320, The Many.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12787511

>>12787378

>The Na'vi planet becomes angry at all these intruders
>Is corrupted by the Warp
>Suddenly the entire ecosystem is both corrupted and empowered by Warp demons
>Begins shooting out massive spore-colonies to infect far-flung worlds with infectious Super-organisms

Shit just got real

>> No.12787512
File: 68 KB, 640x463, kill-it-with-fire-demotivational-poster-1235695993.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12787512

With this
<---- BUT, even more so.

>> No.12787526
File: 185 KB, 704x701, 1286744485733.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12787526

>>12787511

You fucked up, dude

>> No.12787530

>>12787511
Or Slaanesh, and the entire planet becomes a giant orgy.

Seriously, everything on that damn planet has tentacles. Just imagine that for a second.

>modus abusme
See, captcha gets it.

>> No.12787544

>>12787511

Sweet Jesus you just made 'Nids!!

>> No.12787545

>>12787485
Get two more.
Paint them pink.
Breasts.
Space Breasts.

>> No.12787547

if the imperium ~can~ triumph against nids, I would say the Na'vi would only need some small scale invasion, wasn't the surrounding territories only enough to gather like 10,000 na'vi? or am I overestimating

no offense I loved the movie, was fun and the graphics were lawd al mighty cool, but I dont think na'vi would have much of a chance against IG

>> No.12787558

Tyranids show up. Everything gets eaten. New tyranid strain made from Na'vi

>> No.12787568

>>12787530

Pft, tentacles are cliche now.

The sexy thing is that everything can sync up with everything else, you feel what the other person feels. Imagine sex like that.

>> No.12787581
File: 39 KB, 393x344, witches and hoars.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12787581

70% said exterminatus
30% said burny burn via ground forces
0% said the navi would survive

>mfw

>> No.12787585
File: 89 KB, 253x750, Fap.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12787585

>>12787568

So it's like having sex with you have sex with yourself having sex with someone else having sex with you?

>> No.12787589
File: 90 KB, 1204x718, Metroid Prime Corruption.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12787589

>>12787511
sounds pretty 'generic sci-fi plot hook' to me

anyways, if the planet suddenly started going "daemon-world" on them, I'm fairly sure the armies would nuke it from orbit

>> No.12787590
File: 154 KB, 548x518, 1273348548312.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12787590

>>12787568

AdMech here. We've been able to do that for thousands of years.

>> No.12787602
File: 9 KB, 150x150, 2009-02-27-professor_farnsworth-150x150.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12787602

>>12787558

Good news, everyone! It appears the strain of DNA which lies in a Tyranid, has absorbed Na'vi DNA. Thus making some interesting, overtly sexual Tyranids...

>> No.12787607

>>12787589

>sounds pretty 'generic sci-fi plot hook' to me

So perfectly fitting for the Warhammer universe?

>> No.12787616

>>12787547

I wouldn't say triumph, Behemoth almost annihilated Ultramar, and it took the sacrifice of a battle barge (IIRC) to kill the Hive Fleet. Kraken did a number on the Eldar. While Leviathan may actually get stronger after killing the Orks. I would say they barley got through each Hive Fleet

>> No.12787618

>>12787602

>implying you aren't trying to conjure DLFG

>> No.12787627
File: 199 KB, 401x277, Pretty fukken happy.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12787627

>>12787568
You just blew my mind.

Pic related, it's what would probably happen if you suddenly experienced orgasm several thousand times per second.

>> No.12787631

>>12787268

Didn't we discuss this for months before and after the movie came out?

>> No.12787632
File: 159 KB, 919x1000, 78786868.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12787632

Terminators would exell at jungle warfare.

>> No.12787634
File: 45 KB, 500x266, quaritchgives adam.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12787634

quaritch gives a fuck about this thread
now u sissy 40k boys better not fuck this up as badly as I did

>> No.12787652
File: 99 KB, 1196x498, quaritch.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12787652

>>12787634
quaritch does not give a fuck about quaritch giving a fuck

>> No.12787653

>>12787634

I cant help thinking he looks like a GIjoe

>> No.12787656

>>12787631

HBO's airing it now, so suddenly there are threads about it on /tv/ and other places again.

(I only just saw it a few days ago due to HBO. Sucked as hard as I thought it would. Coffee Mug Guy was fucking badass.)

>> No.12787658

>>12787632
especially when they have cat ears.

can you unsee?

>> No.12787664

>>12787658
yes because that would be stupid
you should feel ashamed

>> No.12787665

the human empire starts another war that will never be won, regardless how many die

>> No.12787668
File: 105 KB, 750x600, 1272166530282.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12787668

I enjoyed this conversation.

Even though 40k sucks.

>> No.12787670

>>12787632

Yes, by acting like bulldozers and trampling over the jungle

>> No.12787672
File: 113 KB, 1167x741, t hee.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12787672

>> No.12787673

>>12787658
Fuck.

>> No.12787692

>>12787658
sunuvaBITCH

>> No.12787697

Send Ultramarines.

Matt Ward: "They win!"

End of story.

>> No.12787706

Guys I just thought of something.

If the Orks landed on Pandora, and lets say there was only a few that were killed by a larger tribe of Na'vi...

When the spores are grown, would the Orks be part of the hivemind that is Pandora?

Or what happens if Kroot ate a Na'vi? Could they talk to trees too?

Or what if Nids used Biomass from Pandora?

>> No.12787709
File: 27 KB, 472x346, Anomaly.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12787709

>>12787658

>> No.12787719

If Ribbonfag's threads count as spam, this thread -definitely- counts as spam.

It's no different from "3.5e VS 4e"

>> No.12787724

>>12787393
Will totally start writing it up.
Glad Anon agrees.

>> No.12787781

Exterminatus doesn't always mean that the planet is forever useless. Virus bombing a planet turns all living things on the planet into a sort of slime, but the actual virus doesn't last very long. Planets that have been virus bombed can be reseeded and colonized afterwards.

Thus if anyone from the Imperium found Pandora, it would be virus bombed and then colonized and seeded with Earth plants. The atmosphere would be cleansed with the terraforming tech that the Imperium uses on newfound planets that are not quite right for human life.

>> No.12787818

>>12787781
it's normally virus bombed, and then firebombed, turning the entire surface to ash

terraforming those planets is far beyond what the Imperium is currently capable of. Even if they had the capability, there are thousands of other planets to choose from.

>> No.12787823

>>12787665

>the human empire starts another war that will never be won, regardless how many die
> that will never be won

Oh they would win. Humans have space travel, the best thing pandora has is the floating rocks and a hive mind. I'm sure bombardment from space is nothing too complicated for the humans in the setting. Just put a few satellites with nukes in orbit, and start peppering locations that show any amount of activity.

Bonus points, target dense jungles, lobotomize the planet. Eventually the planet will become too stupid to protect itself. The animals will no longer be able to hive mind it up and help with the fight.

>> No.12787921

>>12787818

No, virus bombing and then colonizing planets is not unheard of nor impossible.

For one example off the top of my head, the possibility of colonizing a virus-bombed planet is mentioned in Creatures Anathema, on the entry for the planet Phyrr, page 42. "The only way to safely inhabit the planet was to virus–bomb it first."

>> No.12787938

>>12787706
Nids have a tendency to pick and choose what DNA they use. So, if there is an undesirable trait, it would be pruned from the DNA chain and stored in case it became useful.

>> No.12787972

>>12787921
thing is, simply virus bombing a planet isn't exactly exterminatus

I mean, virus bombs used to be a wargear card. They're simply a really good biological weapon of massive scale. Exterminatus kills the planet (in the sense that it becomes an uninhabitable ball of rock)

>> No.12788018

>>12787487

are there any books about them or something?

>> No.12788050

>>12788018
A few white dwarf fluff articles (back when it had fluff in it..)

>> No.12788054

>>12787972

Very well then. The Imperium, rather than Expterminatusing Pandora, just virus bombs it instead. Problem solved.

>> No.12788103

Send in scouts, have them gauge resistance.

Then, if resistance is deemed credible, sending in tactical squads via drop pods.

If it's found that there is no way for the Na'Vi to know the SM are coming, then the Codex Astartes: Steel Rain maneuver is implemented and Assault Marines lead the way, backed up by Devastators.

In the face of heavy resistance, Terminators would be deployed.

>> No.12788122

>>12788054

why virus bomb it? I mean holy shit guys, think for a second like a dworf.

They are RESOURCES down there! and I'm not talking about the handwaveium. There are trees, plants and stuff, animals and what not. ONE regiment of IG could wipe the xenos, of course they will have som losses but thats what they for.
Virus bombing something is expensive, human losses are not

>> No.12788160

>>12788054
excellent! Every miniature without a sealed power suit modeled on it dies

If the cruiser decides to launch a lance strike on the planet.. EVERYTHING dies as all the decomposing matter releases highly flammable gases..

>> No.12788167

>>12787309
Nah, they'd just get iradiated and heated if they'll be affected at all since it's all burried.

>> No.12788168

>>12788122

The whole "The atmosphere will kill you and we need to change it if we are going to do anything" issue might make this a bit difficult.

>> No.12788173

>>12787972
A full scale virus bombing scours the planets biosphere completely, boils off the oceans and depletes the atmosphere of oxygen completely. It is definitely used as exterminatus.

>> No.12788206

>>12788173
I'm pretty sure that's due to the lance strike used to ignite the atmosphere as a followup to the virus bombs

at least, that's how I've seen it in the fluff I've read

mind, we all know how consistent 40k fluff can be..

>> No.12788207

>>12788168

you mean we need to send in a regiment from krieg?

>> No.12788232

>>12788207
TRENCHES
TRENCHES EVERYWHERE

ALSO CRATERS AND MUD

>> No.12788257
File: 1.98 MB, 420x230, KILL IT WITH BULLETS.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12788257

>how would the space marines have dealt with the situation on Pandora?

Quickly.

>> No.12788273

how come no one remembers that the atmosphere on that planet is toxic to humans, therefore if you preserved the ecosystem, excluding the xenos, it would stay toxic and keep producing toxic air since everything there breaths it...

>> No.12788293

>>12788273

The soldiers in Avatar dealt with it easily enough. Considering that 40k tech is significantly more advanced I'd say that it wouldn't be a hazard for Spess Mahreens.

>> No.12788347

>>12788293
>soldiers in Avatar

Those weren't actual soldiers, those were mercenaries. I can only assume the actual army would have far better equipment and training.

>> No.12788365
File: 2.20 MB, 337x268, getthefyckout.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12788365

Like this

>> No.12788371
File: 518 KB, 700x662, 1288146868564.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12788371

>>12787668

Keep your 40K rip off out of here, fag weed.

>> No.12788402

>>12788347

They were Marines, bro. Technically they were mercenaries, but they would have been as effective as any army back on Earth.

>> No.12788413

>>12788273

it's not toxic. Just different pressure, nitrogen and whatnot. Coffe Mug Guy even go out there for put some rounds in to the aircraft, not to mention our super hero whos got beaten out of his bed at the end of the film

>> No.12788465

>>12788413

CMG didn't breath the atmosphere though. He held his breath when he did that. And our super hero almost died because he couldn't breath the gas on the planet.

>> No.12788482

>>12788465
I think CMG could have taken a breath if he wanted to. Our super hero had trouble breathing because he spent too much time playing computer games

>> No.12788563

>>12788465

yeah but the time when he got his mask he had no promlems. So the air was not toxic

>> No.12788616

>>12788413

No, it was definitely "toxic." At the beginning of the movie, the person speaking in the shuttle hoobie definitely said neurotoxins. Note how I put it in quotes though, because I would imagine the writers know as much about the average neurotoxin as a kindergartner does about nuclear physics

>> No.12788635

>>12788616

well dosen't matter really. We got the Kreig guys anyway so the xenos are fucked.
Or we could transport some troops from Armageddon. Now THAT planet has got toxic in his atmosphere

>> No.12788717

>>12788563

The air isn't toxic, it's just not sufficient to sustain life for an extended period of time. At the beginning of the film the marines on the shuttle are told they'd be "unconscious in 4 minutes, dead in 20" if they took their masks off

>> No.12788816
File: 44 KB, 631x487, 1289513614162.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12788816

Exterminatus is used as a last resort, not a first choice you morons. They just do what they do with every other planetbound xeno race. Purge them. Through bolter, cannon, and orbital fire, they will be purged to the last man woman and child. And upon their ashes a new colony will rise under the righteous rule of the Emperor.

....Also the ork spores that the Imperial space ships tracked in will settle and create yet another warzone.

>> No.12788886
File: 31 KB, 830x355, f100solaris2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12788886

The situation on Pandora isn't one that the Imperium hasn't encountered many times before. Phyrr is probably more deadly in the toxic department.

Spectoris is supposedly 'alive' and fights against human settlement, so what did the Imperium do? Purge the planet of all wildlife non-essential to food production.

>> No.12788909

>>12788886
This

>> No.12788934

>>12788886
haha, love stuff like that

>>12788816
depending on their interpretation of the "sentient planet", it could go any way

when you see a daemon world, you don't land on it, you blast the shit out of it from space

>> No.12788983

Send in the Ordo Xeno. They would eliminate and study the xeno race to better their knowledge of how to kill it without wasting their time.

>> No.12789020

You know, I've always found the whole 'Pandorans defeat humans, humans leave, humans come back in 10 years with bombs' theory to be flawed. We've noted that Pandora's botany has a neural network with more connections than the human brain. One assumes humanity didn't have time to salvage all that military technology, and we KNOW they didn't take the computers, which probably held MORE technology. Botanical ubermind gets access to human technology. Pandora has unobtanium, so one assumes it has less rare metals, and the botanical intelligence has control over the animals in some fashion. 10 years later, humans return with bombs, find giant space defense lasers pointed at them, Pandora entering a technological singularity. 10 years after that, Pandora has massive cities and military power to bring to bear against any other invaders. Herp derp.

>> No.12789047

>>12789020
Yeah, but humanity would have advanced by then more than the Na'vi. Derp

Also we're talking about the Imperium attacking the Na'vi, which the imperium can fuck storm it because the Imperium doesnt have an economy, only the pursuit for galatic domination in the Emperor's name. Herp

>> No.12789053

>>12789020
I don't give a shit how big your brain is, if as far as you're concerned the height of technology is a fucking bow and arrow there's no way in hell you can understand a computer.

>> No.12789070

>>12789053
Have to agree with this. Their hippies. They havent advanced in anything. All they can do is have sex with everything they can put their genitalia hair on and make it do stuff for them. Oh and cry about trees being wtfpwned.

>> No.12789109

>>12789047
>the Imperium doesnt have an economy

Let me guess, you are one of the faggots who think Spess Mehreens are invincible and that Bolters are rocket launchers.

>> No.12789138

>>12789053
It consumed a scientist's mind. It can use a damn computer, and it can figure out if it doesn't get to fucking work it gets roflpwn'd.

>> No.12789149
File: 4 KB, 127x91, 1272111353969.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12789149

>>12789020

so they make orbital defense system with pointy sticks and tentacle rape? yeah sure...

>> No.12789167

>>12789149
The mining equipment is still there. So, in all likelyhood, is whatever they refined it with. Doesn't take a genius to leap to the next steps in 10 fucking years.

>> No.12789169

>>12789020

...So, where is its massive amounts of industry to enable that?

There is no creature on that planet that hasn't advanced beyond simple Neolithic manufacturing techniques.

>> No.12789171

>>12789138
Can it consume a bullet? Yes, but it wouldnt be alive afterwards.

>> No.12789187

>>12789167

oh cool! now you will have an orbital mining defense system!

Thats great! I'm pretty sure that would protect you from lets say... one hundred nuclear missle

>> No.12789196

But seriously, Life Eater virus.

>> No.12789200

>>12789167

>Mining equipment

That allows you to Dig.
Good job.

Now what do you use to manufacture new, advanced technologies?

There are no factories of any sort, from the ancient guilds and their proto-maufactories to the robots of production lines today.

>> No.12789206

>>12789167
Heres the thing about humanity. Yes, we are dicks. Yes, we like gaining territory and rolling over savages to do so. Yes, we have been portrayed as badguys in every Sci-Fi flick to date, but damnit...

Our tech owns!

>> No.12789214

>>12789200

>proto-manufactories
Fix'd.

>> No.12789225

Catachan Squads
Lots of flamers
Chimeras

>> No.12789243

>implying pandora isn't catachan in the past

>> No.12789251

>>12789243
>implying Creed troll'd Na'vi

>> No.12789278

>>12789109
>Implying bolters don't shoot small rockets.

>> No.12789286

>>12789149

Nice thumbnail, faggo-

Oh, wait.

>> No.12789314
File: 808 KB, 604x513, God-Troll of Mankind.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12789314

>>12789286

>> No.12789315
File: 22 KB, 500x227, this-thread-is-super-green.thumbnail.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12789315

>implying implications were implied by implyers

>> No.12789342

>>12789315

>implying they are not

>> No.12789357

To answer this /thread finally.

Imperium would kill FUCKING EVERYTHING!

GOOD NIGHT CALIFORNIA!

>> No.12789375
File: 149 KB, 370x275, Roland Martin Implying.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12789375

>IMPLICATIONS!

>bacernew after

>> No.12789386

>WOOOO this text is green! SOOO COOOL!!!

>> No.12789393

>>12789020

Besides, the whole retarded point of the Na'vi is that they reject technology.

Which is why Avatar 2 should rightly begin and end with humans returning and laying waste to their bullshit. They even have a custom-made justification.

>> No.12789401

>>12789357
I'm gonna with NO.

Heres why:
As mentioned, if you're mixing 40k with Avatar, you gotta take the Warp into account.

Sentient planet = You dont know exactly how far this thing's power extends
The Na'vi were never a threat to the military folks - think thats where everyone got confused. The natives got their asses handed to them, repeatedly.
It was the PLANET that whomped ass. It would be, literally, like trying to take over an entire 'Nid infected world - only, with tons of Chaos fucking everywhere, cause the fucking planet itself is a sentience.
And really, a sentient planet? I have a feeling, if need be, that an army of dragons and tentacle-beasts isnt the worst it can throw at you.

>Inb4 orbit-breaking gouts of plasma-lava from the planet's center
>Pilot: "Plasma from the planet's surface ma'am.
>Captain: "Planetary defenses. Dont worry, our intell says itll be random and light."
>40 seconds later
>Ships exploding everywhere
>"This isnt light OR random - someone made a mistake!"

>> No.12789417

>>12789401

>It would be, literally, like trying to take over an entire animal infected world

fixed for you.

>> No.12789418

The Sisters would do a good job of cleanding it.

Heavy Flamers, Power armour and a Tank that shreds a hive tyrant in a single round. The Navi can't compete with people wearing pwer armour and wielding bolters and heavy flamers and their animals would never get through the exorcist and immolator fire.

>> No.12789449

>>12789417
>It would be, literally, like trying to take over an entire animal infected world
>fixed for you.

Um, no, you just fucking missed the point.

All life - animals, plants - are tied together and to the planet on Pandora.
Planet + Warp = Warp-Planet
Pretty flowers? They now want to fuck you.
Tentacle Beasts? They now want to fuck you too - but after theyve killed you.
Nids would be nothing compared to Nid-tier bio-diversity + Warp dickery.

>> No.12789456

>>12789401
>>12789401

>>Inb4 orbit-breaking gouts of plasma-lava from the planet's center

>Mary-Suing it up even more than what is already canon

Fuck your planet.

>> No.12789458

>It was the PLANET that whomped ass

You mean a fucking PLANET whomped the ass of somewhere around one hundred men?
I don't know where you live but here the folks are call that thing a FAIL

>> No.12789479

>>12789449
Okay. Exterminatus then.

>> No.12789484

>>12789456
>>Inb4 orbit-breaking gouts of plasma-lava from the planet's center
>Mary-Suing it up even more than what is already canon
>Implying its foolish to think a sentient force could protect itself, just because its in the form of a planet
Besides, its fucking Avatar - there is no limit to the Mary Sue they can cram into that shit.

>Fuck your planet.
I'm from Earth, and yes - thats pretty much how we handle it.

>> No.12789496

>>12789449

you overestimate the warp stuff. Also implying that the planet _must_ be warp infected. Anyway lets say it's warp infected. Then exterminatus. Not that there weren't succesful invasions against chaos controlled planets

>> No.12789506

>>12789458
>You mean a fucking PLANET whomped the ass of somewhere around one hundred men? I don't know where you live but here the folks are call that thing a FAIL
Depends.
Got them off the planet, didnt it?

Native attacks? Mega-fail.
Planet attacks? Raped military forces rather easily.
Im not making it up - thats just what happened in the movie.

Throw some space marines down there, they'd probably do alot better... Of course, 40k is way WAY out of scope compared to Avatar, so if you're going to combine the two you oughta take into account that the wildlife on that planet was easily death-world-tier shit.
Sprinkle some Chaos on it, and you've got a serious fucking threat.

>> No.12789516
File: 17 KB, 385x488, 1262462520554.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12789516

Question from a guy that watched Avatar (pirated cam rip) and never really gave that much of a fuck about it:

Why's everyone so wound up and butthurt about the Navi?

I don't get what the big deal is.

>> No.12789531

>>12789484
>Besides, its fucking Avatar - there is no limit to the Mary Sue they can cram into that shit.
For every bit of Mary Sue they put in Avatar, 40k can bring in ten thousand bits of Mary Sue.

>> No.12789534
File: 8 KB, 149x178, Academician_Prokhor_Zakharov.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12789534

sentinet planet you say? how interesting

>> No.12789545

>>12789516
the reaction is due (in my humble opinion) on the way the incredibly heavy-handed morality message is handed down.

they are PERFECT NATURE LOVING INDIANS and we are EVIL MURDERING PLANET KILLING COLONIALS.

its matchbook morality turned up to eleven.

>> No.12789550

>>12789496
>you overestimate the warp stuff.
I'd say you underestimate it.

>Also implying that the planet _must_ be warp infected.
Giant planet with sentience that is telepathically linked to thousands (probably more like hundreds of billions) of life forms.... Yeah, that seems like a pretty attractive deal to the Warp, seeing as it sometimes manifests just in a single psyker using their abilities.

>Anyway lets say it's warp infected. Then exterminatus. Not that there weren't succesful invasions against chaos controlled planets
Planet starts spewing crazy shit off into space - perhaps even entire chunks of itself.
Meh, foolish arguement - if you cant see how a sentient (likely warp-tainted) planet would be a threat to the Imperium, then you've got the Emperor's dessicated cock so far down your throat you probably can't breath right (thus affecting your judgement).

>FYI: I think both 40k and Avatar are pretty shitty

>> No.12789552

>>12789506
Exterminatus

>> No.12789574
File: 555 KB, 555x555, 55555.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12789574

>>12789545
Well, heavy handed or no, at least it's not like they're sending a bad message, right?

And on top of that, nobody forced you to watch the movie, and you probably went in knowing full well the sort of message it'd be sending.

>> No.12789579

>>12789550
The planet would be wiped clean. Its not blown up. It'd become a dead planet.

>> No.12789606

>>12789574
So why are you giving a fuck about asking why we are giving the fuck about giving a fuck about Avatar in giving a fuck thread about avatar and 40k blowing its shit up when you obviously dont give a fuck?

>> No.12789621

>>12789574

>at least it's not like they're sending a bad message, right?

Of course it is.

TECHNOLOGY IS WRONG GUISE YOU ALL ARE TERRRIBLE PEOPLES HATE YOURSELF FOR BEING HUMAN

OH AND IGNORE THE FACT THAT THIS MOVIE WAS MADE USING CUTTING EDGE TECHNOLOGY

>> No.12789635
File: 828 KB, 320x181, quicktimerenegade.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12789635

>>12789606
Because it puzzles me how the film could get you so butthurt and riled up.

I mean, granted, this was nowhere near the shitstorms before it came out, but still, jesus, every time Avatar is mentioned, people out there hating on it like it killed their family, raped them for five hours, and left their toilet seat up.

>> No.12789636

>>12789579
>http://www.redlettermedia.com/avatar.html
I'll just leave this here.


Also:
>40k people: "NAH-UH! IMPERIUM WOULD JUST KILL DA PLANET WIT EXTERMINATUS!"
>Avatar people: "You do realize that, like, 40k has been around SO LONG and has tons of canon fluff, and that - through extrapolation from the information in the single entry of Avatar fluff - it is unknown exactly how far the planet's sentience/control of itself extends."
>40k people: "FUCK YOU XENO-LOVER HIPPY-FAG! EXTERMINATUS KILLS EVERYTHING ALWAYS!"
>Avatar people: "mfw I've read about Nids/Orkz surviving on-world through Exterminatus."
>40k people: "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU!"

You guys are sad as fuck.

>> No.12789649

>>12789635
Because we're tired of hollywood making humanity look back and thusly making people LARP with epic seriousness Avatars and possiblity of influencing anti-Technological sense in teens who are going through fads like candy?

>> No.12789655
File: 74 KB, 600x600, SM_dead.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12789655

>>12789621
I honestly didn't get a "technology is bad" vibe. I mean, come on, the scientists are pretty much all cast as good people.

Inefficient and poorly planned use of non-renewable resources, maybe, but technology? Not the message I got.

>> No.12789656

>>12789574
hey, i just liked the show. 3d done awesome, walker-suits stomping around, floating rocks.

I didnt say i hated it myself, just expressed the flaws. It is every "white man and savages" story ever, and the storyline was as predictable as it was predictable.

it was still acceptable.
(note: i like watching bad movies)

>> No.12789661

>>12789635

every sane man has to rage about something. It's better to rage about Avatar than punch in the face someone.
Well not really but result is less painfull for a neckbeard like us

>> No.12789666

>>12789621
>TECHNOLOGY ISNT THE ANSWER TO EVERYTHING GUISE
>YOU ALL *ARE* TERRRIBLE LIFEFORMS - JUST LOOK AT YOUR SHITTY PLANET AND WHAT ITS GOING TO TURN INTO
>HATE YOURSELF FOR BEING SUCH AN UTTER PIECE OF SHIT - AND YOUR SPECIES AS WELL

ftfy
And frankly, anyone with half a brain knew everything that Avatar had to say - we are shit, we are destroying our world, and if you dont like that then go out and fucking do something about it you whiney doucherag.

>> No.12789669
File: 93 KB, 640x1050, iProduct.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12789669

>>12789649
>anti-Technological sense in teens
I'm pretty sure Apple wouldn't let that happen.

>> No.12789672

>>12789636
We're 40k Fans. We dont try and reason. We kill and exterminatus until you retreat.

>> No.12789679

>>12789672
>We're 40k Fans. We dont try and reason. We kill and exterminatus until you retreat.

And that is why you'll fail.

>> No.12789688

>>12788257

Source please

>> No.12789702

>>12789688
Looks like Appleseed Ex Machina to me.

>> No.12789703
File: 48 KB, 675x612, 1288946451664.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12789703

Imperial flowchart for Xeno planet.

Do we need anything on that planet?

Yes------ Exterimantus via Virus bombing

No-------- Exterminatus via Cyclone Torpedoes

The only question is would the imperium see any use in unobtainium... come tot think of it did the movie even bother saying what the fuck the mineral was used for?

>> No.12789712

>>12789679
No that is why you fail. You try to make it out that your right, that you won the argument, but aslong as /tg/ is mostly made up of 40k Imperium Spess mehrens and Imperial Guardzmen, your arguements will always not be worth fuck.

>> No.12789713

>>12789679

when I last checked pandora wan't an existing planet or moon

>> No.12789718

>>12789636
Depends on if they want the planet intact or not. A two-stage melta/cyclonic charge would bore into the middle of the planet and completely destabilise it. Hard for anything to survive that.

>> No.12789719

>>12789703
Making furry clones of humans.

>> No.12789733

didn't see avatar
>assumed it pandered to pretentious, hyper-environmentalist/pseudo environmentalist, pacifists, liberals, and vegetarians.
>i also figured it would be predictable.

>> No.12789737

>>12789712
The GCU Grey Area, sometimes known as Meatfucker, appears in 40k in the Sol System.

What do?

>> No.12789742
File: 83 KB, 604x453, 1276782423459.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12789742

>>12789712
>No that is why you fail. You try to make it out that your right, that you won the argument, but aslong as /tg/ is mostly made up of 40k Imperium Spess mehrens and Imperial Guardzmen, your arguements will always not be worth fuck.
>Implying arguement is invalid because the majority of those in the debate shove their heads into the sand with such force that the Gods of Chaos feel the impact in the Warp
That was, quite possibly, the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard someone on /tg/ say.
Congratulations.

Guy who linked the Plinkett review (which is funny as shit), that link is fuckd.
Try here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJarz7BYnHA&feature=related

>> No.12789743

>>12789712
You fail because all you did was remodel my sentence to be in your favor.

>> No.12789747

>>12789636

do you know the term "argumentum ad hominem"?

>> No.12789749

>>12789703
>Unobtanium is a room-temperature super-conductor, and is not only the key to Earth’s energy needs in the 22nd century, but it is the enabler of interstellar travel and the establishment of a truly spacefaring civilization. This makes a feedback loop; the more Unobtanium is mined, the more ships can be built and the more mining equipment can be sent to Pandora.

>> No.12789752

>>12789737

>in the Sol System.
>Same place where the best of the Dark Age of Technology is kept.

It is already dead.

>> No.12789756

>>12789712
Congrats, you fail by being exactly correct.
I pity your insight, it is wasted.

>> No.12789757
File: 35 KB, 274x285, blood angels.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12789757

>>12787298

Why did I read this as "Point Black Rage?"

>sistak o'clock
captcha knows what time it is. . .

>> No.12789764

>>12789666
>We're destroying our world and it will become bad.
Who the fuck says we're destroying our world? Al Gore? The Disovery Channel? Have you SEEN the "scientists" they hired to do some of that "research" and those "documentaries?" I once watched one of their scientists study how fast the polar ice caps were melting by measuring water flow rate as it feel into the sea from one of the caps.

I can't tell you the exact velocity that water was flowing, but I can definitely tell you the acceleration: 9.8 m/s^2

And as for a general equation for the velocity when it was measured? V = 9.8t + c, where c is equal to the velocity the water was traveling BEFORE it fell off a fucking cliff.

You can't trust the people who tell you nuclear power is evil to also tell you what is or is not destroying our planet!

>> No.12789768
File: 5 KB, 221x222, 1283140925209.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12789768

>>12789752
>terra's defenders having anywhere near the reaction times to destroy it before it takes control of their defenses and mind rapes them

>> No.12789779
File: 21 KB, 313x392, image018.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12789779

JAMES CAMERON HAS MADE PLENTY OF MOVIES ABOUT KILLING THIE SHIT OUT OF XENOS AND HUMANITY FUCK YEAH

SERIOUSLY WHY U SO BUTTMAD?

>> No.12789785

Wipe most of the native lifeforms with promethium, then landing in some IG units, maybe some help from a Marines chapter
The whole reason the humans lost in Pandora is because Cameron wanted into Ferngully+Pocahontas in space

>> No.12789786

>>12789779
As a rule, we're one of the boards more prone towards butthurt.

>> No.12789789

>>12789779

>SERIOUSLY WHY U SO BUTTMAD?

Because he lost sight of his roots and made Pocahontas In Space With Blue Catpeople Designed for Furries to Masturbate Furiously To.

>> No.12789791

>>12789779
BECAUSE ATLEAST THOSE ALIENS WERE EVIL PARASITES!

>> No.12789804

>>12789789
xD

you funny.
You so funny.

>> No.12789812

>>12789635
This is because that /tg/ is riding on the Humanity Fuck Yeah Train all the way to solar system genocide station. If an alien spaceship were to rock up tomorrow and ask which is the quickest way to the Quaz System, they would at once being begging the goverment to start lobbing missiles at them in order to make their balls feel big.

So when an alien race comes along who's mindset isn't "Barrrg Humans are bad, kill all humans and then we shall die to the humans!" or "goodness me, your large neckbeard cock is large, let me suck it," /tg/ becomes confused and angry

>> No.12789813

Ok, here's how to do this on a tactical sense. Have scouts relay coordinates for an orbital bombardment on the Tree of Souls. Boom,. Fight ended virtually in one shot. Send in one chapter of SMs and maybe 2 regiments of IG, either Catachans or Krieg, to clean up.
>>12788103
Also where did you get this quote? Is there a place to look up the contents of the Codex Astartes?

>> No.12789820

>>12789804

But he DID have them designed to appeal visually to as many people as possible, along with combining them with cats, a common house pet people bond with, along with making them all scantily clad.

Laugh all you want, as long as you still see the truth there.

>> No.12789824
File: 47 KB, 250x232, goodkitty.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12789824

>>12789789
You seem angry, possibly enraged.

Are you angry, and/or possibly enraged?

>> No.12789830

>>12789752
Not really. The Meatfucker is from Iain M Banks 'Culture Novels', which pretty means it gets to bitchslap around anything from any society not also operating on post scarcity technology. The Culture's equivalent of a frigate is something that can blow up suns.

They're the kind of stories that just operate on a whole different scale assumption from everything else. Fuckwin awesome novels, but there's no point in even trying to play the usual "who's e-peen is bigger" fanboy wank with them, because they really weren't written for that (which, of course, is exactly why the stupider fans will try to do just that).

>> No.12789831

>>12789824

If you plan on fucking that cat, then yes.

>> No.12789838
File: 26 KB, 800x433, district_9_alien.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12789838

>>12789820
Imagine Sully's reaction if they looked like the prawns from District 9

>> No.12789850

>>12789812
>Implying you are not one of the many anonymous who possibly did the exact same "FuCKING XENOS" thing as everyone else and thusly is a living saint of humintarian dignity

>> No.12789852

>>12789789
>Designed for Furries to Masturbate Furiously To
Go watch the Plinkett review - he does a nice job of breaking down how the Na'vi were designed so that people in general would like them (and reality check: it fucking worked, despite a few butthurt grognards).
Giant Disney(TM) eyes? Check.
Wide bridge of nose, similar to kitty (which we all love)? Check.
Subtle sexuality? Check.
Very human looking? Check.
Utterly peaceful and easy to sympathize with? Check.

Avatar had nothing to do with furries, you poor stupid fuck - it had to do with manipulating people on the most basic level, and IT FUCKIN WORKED.

>> No.12789866

>>12789852
Personally I liked the Prawn from District 9 a lot better than the Na'vi.

I'm also hoping that District 10, if it ever comes out, features Earth getting its ass handed to it.

>> No.12789871

>>12789852
They are still xenos and unrealistically defeated a highly advanced culture. HERESY!

>> No.12789879

>>12789838

Yeah, it's really kind of staggering the gulf between those two movies when it comes to challenging or reinforcing the audience's assumptions.

One goes out of it's way to make the aliens perfect and beautiful, whilst still having a fucking huge case of mighty whitey (because apparently without Sully the na'vi would all be too fucking retarded to figure out how to kill a bunch of poorly armed humies with a few helicopters, one gunship, and a bomber that they bootstrapped together out of a shuttle).

The other makes the aliens seem utterly alien, and goes out of it's way to portray them as violent, unpleasant, and often kind of stupid, and then by the end has you fucking cheering like a maniac for one of them.

>> No.12789883

>>12789852

http://fchan.us/f/res/16786.html

>> No.12789892
File: 90 KB, 555x635, 26419_sm-2nd Edition, Artwork, Catachan, Copyright Games Workshop, Imperial Guard, Officer, Retro Review.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12789892

send catachans. If they fail, send spaces marines.

>> No.12789905

>>12789871
What if Necrons beat the Imperium?

On the one hand, xenos, but on the other hand, they ARE more technologically advanced.

How would you react? Good thing, or bad thing?

>> No.12789917

>>12789883
Dear God, why would you link that?

I hate me some furries, dont get me wrong - but Avatar wasnt about furries in the design.
Thats a very internet-nerd-based way to look at the world, where every anthropomorphic character that shows any signs of animalistic-features is a 'furry'.

Reality check: People like kittehs. People LOVE kittehs. Some people are fucking insane and have hundreds of kittehs living in their basement.
>Making a race of kitteh-people as the characters we are supposed to sympathize with? SO. FUCKING. OBVIOUS.

>> No.12789925

>>12789866
District 9 was good. It showed a PMC taking hold over the aliens in a third world country somewhere in Africa or whatever instead of humanity being EVAL everywhere. It was just a SMALL GROUP OF HUMANS who were doing it OUT OF A JOB and simply did it for the WEAPONS to sell said WEAPONS. The rest of humanity liked the aliens not out of them being "fucking hawt as fuck- omg blue peoplz!" but out of "Damn, why the fuck are they being oppressed for no goddamn reason? Let them go assholes! They ant hurting us!"

So if a District 9 sequel comes out, it wouldnt be a "Lol die humanz" thing, it'd probally be about the cure for the injection the main character from the first one got, but the PMC is still all "We're back, gimmie gimmie gimmie for experiments!". Hell at the end of the movie, the Prawns even got relocated to a more NICER facility and many stayed on Earth, and along the way made friends with more and more of humanity. Now -thats- plot. WIth Avater is mary sue bullshit plot.

>> No.12789926
File: 115 KB, 742x1096, Prawn.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12789926

>>12789879

However, you'll notice that even they made a very subtle design choice when they created the Prawns.

They gave them extremely expressive, large, human-like eyes. It's amazing how something as small as that can influence your judgment.

>> No.12789930

>>12789813
Naw, it's a Baldstorm reference, where Commander Baldeale refers to mass drop-pod deployment as the Steel Rain maneuver from the Codex Astartes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJMLfACod48

>> No.12789935

>>12789892
why would space marines send in catachans when they can take care of it themselves?

>> No.12789949

>>12789925
>the Prawns even got relocated to a more NICER facility
No. They got relocated to a smaller, more tightly regulated area.

Also, watching Wikus trashing the HFY faggots in District 9 was awesome.

>> No.12789952

>>12789935

Because space marines have better things to do than bothering with a bunch of savages and a sentient but not very impressive planet.

>> No.12789955

>>12789935

Na'vis are fucking stone-aged aliens. Why would they want to move themselves to kill some stone-aged kittehs?

>> No.12789959

>>12789935

Not their job to pacify a world. They might support the mission if something's there the IG can't handle, but by and large they have better things to do and bigger problems to handle.

>> No.12789967

>>12789925
>District 9 was good.
Agreed.

>It showed a PMC taking hold over the aliens in a third world country somewhere in Africa or whatever instead of humanity being EVAL everywhere.
Um, no.
That was in South Africa mate, which is far FAR from being a third world country - particularly in the part where the movie was based.

>It was just a SMALL GROUP OF HUMANS who were doing it OUT OF A JOB and simply did it for the WEAPONS to sell said WEAPONS.
Well, yes, but...
>The rest of humanity liked the aliens not out of them being "fucking hawt as fuck- omg blue peoplz!" but out of "Damn, why the fuck are they being oppressed for no goddamn reason? Let them go assholes! They ant hurting us!"
What the fuck are you talking about?
Everyone - EVERYONE - asked in the movie talked about how they hated the aliens and wanted them to leave.
Did you even watch the fucking movie, or just project your beliefs onto the screen?

>So if a District 9 sequel comes out, it wouldnt be a "Lol die humanz" thing, it'd probally be about the cure for the injection the main character from the first one got, but the PMC is still all "We're back, gimmie gimmie gimmie for experiments!".
No, actually, it'll probably be about the rest of the Prawn race showing up and seeing how humanity - as a whole, whether directly (PMC) or not (people who just let it go down, ie, EVERYONE) - has enslaved the first non-human race they come into contact with.

At that point? Recover our people, then EXTERMINATUS these fucking monkeys.
THATS WHAT WE WOULD DO!

>Hell at the end of the movie, the Prawns even got relocated to a more NICER facility and many stayed on Earth, and along the way made friends with more and more of humanity. Now -thats- plot. WIth Avater is mary sue bullshit plot.
Holy shit, you are so fucking retarded I almost want to spit at the screen on the off-hand chance it might somehow get sucked through and hit your in your dipshit face.
Fuck you.

>> No.12789974

>>12789926
Um. Because thats what eyes do? derp

>> No.12789984

>>12789925
>the Prawns even got relocated to a more NICER facility

Reality check, bro; they got relocated to a post-apartheid Refugee camp. In terms of nice, the trash dump was a fucking Shangri'La compared to an Apartheid camp

>> No.12789992

>>12789967
I agree with most of your post, however there were humans that protested the prawns living in a ghetto in the first place and did want them to live better.

>> No.12789995

>>12789967
Wow. Clam the chill down man. So I got some facts mixxed up. Besides in reality, you'd think 100% of Earth would go "We hate dem aliems for no reason at all". Thats really stupid.

>> No.12790004

>>12789879
Which is probably why District 9 is an overall stronger film. The aliens are *just like us* on an instinctual level, and by extension are much like we are when lost, confused, tired, and angry.

>> No.12790010

>>12789995
>Besides in reality, you'd think 100% of Earth would go "We hate dem aliems for no reason at all".
Yes, they probably would, assuming the aliens look like 'scary, gross monsters'.

>Thats really stupid.
Yes, yes it is - but, hey, guess what?
Humans ARE fucking stupid... And so are you.

>> No.12790023

>>12789974


The Point.

Your head.

>> No.12790033

>>12789995
I think the reason dude got so offended - and I kinda agree - is that you seem to have missed the entire fucking point of that movie.

It wasnt, in any way, Humanity FUCK YEAH!
No, not at all.

It was more HUMANITY FUCK NO!, because you see - very blatantly - what scumbags alot of our people are.
Even the nobodys in the street, even the fucking black people who had faced similar subjugation, fucking HATED the aliens.

Movie was about prejudices we make, the evil that lays dormant inside us... and the occasional brave son of a bitch that gives up everything - EVERYTHING - to do the right thing.

Not the right thing as a human. Not the right thing as a man.
The right thing as a living being, that sees what we were doing was wrong on the most basic of levels.

>> No.12790036

>>12789995
>Besides in reality, you'd think 100% of Earth would go "We hate dem aliems for no reason at all".
I certainly think 100% of /tg/ would.

>> No.12790037

>>12787268
Space Marines would have never been needed. The IG could handle the situation easily until unobtanium mining is over with.

>> No.12790055

>>12790010
So that means your stupid too since your human. Thus your arguement holds no credibility due to the highly likely hood of it being written by an idiotic species.

>> No.12790070

>>12790010
>>12789967

>Everyone - EVERYONE - asked in the movie talked about how they hated the aliens

Blatantly, LAUGHABLY false. There were entire rallies of protesters arguing for the benefit of the Prawns, and one of the men being interviewed on the Wikus Incident was decidedly sympathetic towards them. In the section you're talking about, it's only about five random people off the street criticizing the Prawns. That's hardly an accurate indication of global opinion.

In fact, outside of Africa, we really DO NOT KNOW how the rest of the world is handling the whole thing. The people who are vocally against the Prawn are against them because they seem filthy and violent, which is in part due to the awful living conditions they've been thrust into.

>> No.12790071

>>12789925
> Prawns even got relocated to a more NICER facility
Ickus tells the smart prawn the new facility is worse, a lot more cramped and the prawns were losing what little freedom they had. Watch the movie again.

>> No.12790076

>>12790055
If thats how you wanna look at it, sure.

Frankly, I have alot of stupid friends. I dont take what they have to say as being utter shit 100% percent of the time - but I do realize they are apt to make bad choices, because they arent terribly bright.

>Baseless prejudice against intelligent species that looks like an insect/arthropod
Yes, I can certainly imagine a large portion of the human population saying 'FUCK THEM!' and grabbing their guns.
>Simple insight about how we as a species tend to view the world
Depending on how this was laid out, I might well take it as valuable.
To put it in a way your might understand:
> High Int =/= High Wis

>> No.12790078

>>12790033
Yeah and thats why Sci-fi sucks now. It applies too many "Humanity is bad, work at it" moral lessons. Know what real sci-fi movies teach? If its hostile, kill it. Thats what Sci-fi used to be about when it came to humans versus aliens. Aliens, Predator, AvP, etc. All those form of movies didnt focus on moral values, it focused on some epic grimy space age horror action.suspense that kept you on the edge of the seat if the human is going to make it or POP surprise chest burster ending!

>> No.12790094

>>12790033
>>12790033

>and the occasional brave son of a bitch that gives up everything - EVERYTHING - to do the right thing.

You mean the extremely prejudiced protagonist who jumped through all those hurdles just because it was the only way he'd get a cure?

Let's be honest here. Wikus did indeed grow to be slightly more sympathetic towards the Prawns over the course of the film, but let's not pretend he was helping them for altruistic reasons.

>> No.12790097

Avatar really all could have been avoided if someone just said "Hey, our planet is shitting itself and we need just a little bit of your stuff to keep from dying horribly, is it okay if we have a small area to dig in so we can stay alive?".

But I guess that'd keep the Mary Sue race from looking good if they said no, so.

>> No.12790103

>>12790070
>Blatantly, LAUGHABLY false.
Oh, really?

>There were entire rallies of protesters arguing for the benefit of the Prawns, and one of the men being interviewed on the Wikus Incident was decidedly sympathetic towards them. In the section you're talking about, it's only about five random people off the street criticizing the Prawns. That's hardly an accurate indication of global opinion.
I disagree - infact, I'm pretty sure that was the whole point of those 'random' interviews, to show how much the vast majority of people really arent fond of the Prawns.
I cant say I remember any images of rallies, but they might have been there. Though, I have to wonder if they didnt take place AFTER tha massive event that got broadcast across the planet (ya know, when the Prawn mother-ship fucking left? Ie, all the humans suddenly realized 'Oh, shit... They might come back... Better be nice now!).

>In fact, outside of Africa, we really DO NOT KNOW how the rest of the world is handling the whole thing. The people who are vocally against the Prawn are against them because they seem filthy and violent, which is in part due to the awful living conditions they've been thrust into.
>Stupidity
The entire planet knows they are there.
The entire planet knows they are living in squalid conditions.
The entire planet does nothing.
Fuck you and your stupid arguement.

>> No.12790106

>>12790033
Not him, but I think you have a minor problem with your definition of H,FY!

H,FY! isn't about the best things about humanity, it is about showing off EVERYTHING about humanity as a strength. For example, one would say violence is bad, but in a H,FY! thread violence is good because humans can be violent. If humans aren't violent in some situation, then that is H,FY! too because violence doesn't solve everything.

Just sayin'.

>> No.12790110
File: 2.61 MB, 480x268, SHARKTOPUS.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12790110

>>12790078

You're in luck! You want mindless entertainment with aliens and monsters?

Try the Syfy Channel.

>> No.12790114

>>12789967
D9 was great.
All most all the South Africans hated the prawns (in actuality alot of the interviews where with real people, Blomkamp and his crew recorded them answering how they felt about Nigerians) but you do see protesters in from of the D9 entrance with sings saying (we love prawns etc.) which added to the reality of it.

We do not know how the rest of the Prawns will react, becuase they are not as simple as either, WE ARE A PEACFUL PEOPLE WY U HURT US, or WE KIL UUUUUUUUUUUUU.

Wikus even said, D10 was smaller and more controlled.

also, while D9 had a message, it was not as uberpreachy, nor unrealsitic self appeasding moralfag gayness.

also, to answer the orginal topic, the Imperium would do what it has done with numerous planets and primitive xenos, cleanse and colonize.

>> No.12790123

>>12790097
THat and the "protagonist" betrayed humanity and went AWOL on his "negotiation" mission for a single cat lady to have sex with. That crippled traitor.

>> No.12790129

>>12790078
Quit oversimplifying shit dumbass!

>> No.12790138

>>12790110
Okay. I take mindless over defending piece of crap movies. Try not to cry when Skyline comes out and complain how the humans wernt enslaving the giant flying blue organic robot ships and a reporter saving them by becoming one of them after figuring out the United Nations just want their sillynamedlifeforcestones implanted in their assholes and not civilize them into our culture.

>> No.12790154

>>12790103

>Though, I have to wonder if they didnt take place AFTER

They didn't.

>The entire planet knows they are there.
>The entire planet knows they are living in squalid conditions.
>The entire planet does nothing.

You could say the same thing for most third world countries. There are relief efforts and a minority of people who go out of their way to help people in horrible living conditions the world over, but I don't see you and most other people getting off their asses to help.

>> No.12790156

>>12790138
Skyline sucked, humanities got raped, a lot of crappy cliches in a pent house. now
i believe we are all in agreement.
District 9 was a far better film than Avatar.

>> No.12790157

>>12790106
That's what I dislike about HFY.

HFY is a cancer that emerged one day, a few years ago, when we tried to have a nice thread about how humans might look from an alien perspective, and when the Gift story was posted, some faggots immediately decided to use that as the basis for HFY.

>> No.12790163

>>12790097
I don't think you know what Mary Sue means. You probably have a very rough definition of it, but it just doesn't really apply here.

Now, if Sulley came to Pandora and the humans had their backs to the wall in a fight against the one tribe of Na'vi, THEN you could call them Mary Sues. In Avatar the Na'vi lose again, and again, and again and are only saved when the intra-organism forest activates its self defense mechanisms.

>> No.12790172

>>12790138

Learn to write in English, my god.

>> No.12790183
File: 25 KB, 134x134, Scrin Harvester.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12790183

>>12790156

Skyline? You mean Scrin: The Movie?

>and utinueha

>> No.12790193

>>12790183
Skyline, space invasion cliches, the movie

>> No.12790203

>>12790157
I actually like H,FY! a lot.

1) Too often people ignore the beneficial aspects of the human characteristics typically labeled "bad". Anything that gets you thinking about the opposite side of things or looking deeper into WHY we are the way we are is a good thing in my book.

2) Humanity needs some species pride. Anything that brings humanity together in a time when the inverse may mean extinction is a good thing.

>> No.12790204

>>12790163

The problem here is that the Na'vi are treated as completely precious while the vast majority of humans are shown as unrepentant dicks or homicidal maniacs. This blatant attempt to make us biased against HUMANITY is what I criticize Avatar for.

Especially when you read all the material they conveniently didn't mention in the movie, like the fact that EARTH IS DYING and requires another source of fuel in order to keep things running.

What they SHOULD have gone into is the fact that many of Pandora's living organisms may in fact be ultimately more beneficial to Earth AND humans than the Unobtanium. The background information details how many plants on Pandora extract pollutants from the soil, which might be a way to help revitalize Earth. Still other animals have properties that are capable of preventing, treating, or curing various diseases.

Instead they didn't go into any of that at all, even in passing.

>> No.12790248

>>12790204
Because that would be JUSTIFYING the humans forced hand. People so do not like when HUMANS have JUSTIFICATION because we never deserver JUSTIFICATION.

>> No.12790281

>243 posts and 50 image replies omitted. Click Reply to view.
>why.jpg

>> No.12790290

>>12790203
>Humanity needs some species pride.
No. That's basically nationalism on a larger scale.

>> No.12790310

>>12790203
I'm not sure a lot of people WANT to be brought together with the fat neckbeards that enjoy HFY.

>> No.12790313

>>12790290
Thats like saying people being proud of being white are offically nazis. Come on, humanity has been down fucked by people who think we should begin feeling sorry for all the horrible shit we did to get where we are. We did so out of advancement of our species, weither RL or movie, there should never be any regret for -everything- when it comes to the advancement of us as a species.

>> No.12790328

>>12790313
Pride is for things you achieve on your own.

You shouldn't be proud of being white, or black, or asian, or 6'2, or having blond hair, or brown hair, or black hair, or anything else that you didn't do shit about.

Be proud of your achievements, not of shit that just happened without any effort on your part.

>> No.12790355

>>12790328
It took effort for MJ to turn white. What now?

>> No.12790381

>>12790355
MJ gets to be proud of becoming white.

The rest of us don't.

>> No.12790431

>>12790204
>the vast majority of humans are shown as unrepentant dicks or homicidal maniacs.
The protagonist is a human and the science team is empathetic. When Home Tree falls the movie makes a point of showing the bawwing faces of everyone in the command tower. "But the rest were depicted as killing machines". That's because they are killing machines. They were mercenaries, guns for hire. They wouldn't have lasted a moment on Pandora if they cried every time they swatted a fly? Those types of people block out empathy in combat situations... and you are complaining that they aren't empathetic? The movie wouldn't have been believable if they had tried to make mercenaries look like non-mercenaries.

>like the fact that EARTH IS DYING and requires another source of fuel in order to keep things running.
Earth isn't "dying". Earth is overpopulated and polluted (big surprise) and unobtanium doesn't change that. Unobtanium provides a means of channeling antimatter and also provides global high speed rail system that the world economy depends on. The markets may crash if unobtanium becomes more and more scarce, but nobody is doomed. And are you seriously complaining about a writer bias when the writers could have obviously left out any mention of the importance of unobtanium from the fluff?

>What they SHOULD have gone into is the fact that many of Pandora's living organisms may in fact be ultimately more beneficial to Earth AND humans than the Unobtanium.
That would have been an interesting twist. However that completes the entire moral grounds for why it is bad to steal. The movie hits the audience over the head with the simple idea that the humans coming down and acting like thy own the place, knocking giant habitat trees over left and right... is bad. If the plot provided the humans with a selfish reason to stop knocking down trees then there is no moral to the story, and thus it wouldn't be much of a story at all. Cool idea though.

>> No.12790440

>>12790328
Yes.
Thank you.
A certain functional level of self-esteem is necessary, but communicating that is a little more complex than "you are born winning!"

>> No.12790451

>>12790440
Having loads of self-esteem is great.

Clinging to other people's achievements (nationalism and HFY) or to shit that just happened (like what race you are) is bullshit.

>> No.12790456

>>12790431
(continued)

And to clarify, I liked Avatar, I understand everything the writors were trying to tell the audience about right and wrong, and I also agree strongly with the idea that humanity NEEDS unobtanium no matter the cost. I see every perspective which is why the first time I watched the movie I thought it was very morally gray. To me, it was just a tragic situation brought on by the character flaws within everyone:
-The company could have been just an incy bit more empathetic and simply gone after the 2nd largest unobtanium deposit.
-The Na'vi could have accepted the olive leaf and taken our fucking schools and roads (though if I were in there shoes I wouldn't give up everything I have and know for some trinkets and methods I have little notion of the value of)
-The Avatar program could have actually done their job and tried harder for a diplomatic solution instead of what seemed like them spending all their time taking samples.

Also, my favorite characters were Parker and Quaritch.

>> No.12790510

>>12790456
The race traitor could have tried negotiating a peaceful resolution instead of trying to get into the Chief's daughter's pants.

>> No.12790515

>>12790290
LOL! Nationalism isn't bad if EVERYONE is part of your nation. Maybe you should take a break. :/

>> No.12790540

>>12790515
He is arguing about taking excessive pride in your country. Imagine some dude running around proclaiming his awesomess because of who his parents were and what they did, never letting you get a word in because he keeps yelling how his lineage entitles him to keep yelling at you.

Even a Mounty would punch the Queen if she did that.

>> No.12790553

>>12790510
That too. He really took his good sweet time with negotiations.

But you and I both know it wouldn't have mattered. If some aliens came to Earth and told us they are going to relocate everyone on Earth so they can mine out some rare mineral in Earth's core, even if they offered us advance technology, would you go? A lot of people, myself included, would probably tell them to fuck off. The same thing applies to the Na'vi. Everything they have, everything about their tribes culture, exists within Hometree.

It's all just a tragic situation.

Did you pick up on the equilibrium/stagnation versus progress/destruction themes? That was one of my favorite parts of Avatar.

>> No.12790565

>>12790510
He was a soldier. On a diplomatic mission.

Humanity might have been continually beaten over the head with a "lol humies r bad cat-pplz r good!" stick, but they did kind of fuck up there. Makes you wonder why nobody ever actually stopped to think "hang on, sending a soldier off to conduct highly sensitive diplomatic negotiations might be pushing things somewhat" (and given that he immediately went chasing after the first piece of alien cat-tail that crossed his path...).

>> No.12790568

>>12790553
How advancement requires destroying the old to make way for the new? And to live in equilibrium with everything engenders stagnation of culture and lifestyle, with no true progress or advancement ever made?

>> No.12790570

>>12790540
Let me Reiterate... Nationalism isn't bad if EVERYONE is part of your nation. H,FY! is nationalism on a global scale, no one is excluded. It isn't like a single guy running around telling everyone that HE is awesome, it is like running around telling everyone that EVERYONE is awesome.

I think you all should sit a couple posts out, maybe get a glass of water. :/

>> No.12790581

>>12790570
What about the aliens?

>> No.12790591

>>12790565
>He was a soldier. On a diplomatic mission.
You are ignoring WHY he was the only one who got that close. It was because he was soldier. Originally the Avatar program was just using him as an escort. No one made the mistake you are talking about.

>> No.12790598

>>12790568
Iffy. Advancement can incorporate the old into the new, as in what happens with religious syncretism and in many cases of technological adaptation. And equilibrium is a useful thing to keep in mind, in general.

>> No.12790608

>>12790581
Let me RE REITERATE... There are no aliens walking around at this time, thus no one is harmed by focusing on how awesome humanity is!

Fuck it, I'm sitting this one out. :/

>> No.12790650

>>12790568
That was pretty much what I was getting at. Humanity represents progress, but with progress comes destruction because upsetting the universe's status quo every hundred years with a new technological revolution lends itself to messing stuff up.

The Na'vi on the other hand are all bout equilibrium, existing with the universe as it is instead of changing it. The Na'vi could have existed as they are in the film for MILLIONS of years before humans got there. They didn't progress because with equilibrium comes stagnation.

It was a cool dichotomy. Humanity is at risk because what its destructive progress has done, but then again humanity is now spread across several solar systems and thus in the long run they are safe. The Na'vi are prospering on their own world, but sooner or later they are going to go extinct because they lived in a tree for eternity instead of creating an interstellar fleet built out of unobtanium.

>> No.12790675

>>12790431

>Earth isn't "dying". Earth is overpopulated and polluted (big surprise) and unobtanium doesn't change that. Unobtanium provides a means of channeling antimatter and also provides global high speed rail system that the world economy depends on. The markets may crash if unobtanium becomes more and more scarce, but nobody is doomed. And are you seriously complaining about a writer bias when the writers could have obviously left out any mention of the importance of unobtanium from the fluff?

Incorrect, they also need it to power massive green houses and hydroponic facilities that they use to grow food because nothing can grow on earth naturally anymore.

That's right, the Na'vi want us all to starve and cripple our economy. Fourtunatly all the sympathizers stayed behind meaning the corporations leaders can come back and spin the story however the hell they want.

>> No.12790690

>267 posts and 51 image replies omitted. Click Reply to view

Goddammit, I love you /tg/. It's like watching monkeys throw shit at each other, except the shit is on fire, and the monkey is wielding a bolter.

>> No.12790693

Not exterminatus as everyone wants, they would just go cleanse them the old fashion way; with bolters and chainswords. Then they would probably begin terraforming with the mechanicus or some shit.

>> No.12790699

>>12790690

That sounds far more exciting than this thread actually was.

>> No.12790729

>>12790431
I don't think all stories need to have morals. In fact, Avatar would have been much more compelling if James Cameron had let the audience come to their own conclusions about the nature of the humans' presence on Pandora. Europeans' first contact with Native American cultures was horrific in many respects, the introduction of diseases, oppression of native religions, slavery. But it gave Europe the potato, and the Americas got horses and rice.

>> No.12790733

>>12790675
>they also need it to power massive green houses and hydroponic facilities
I've read the wiki and I don't remember that. I would like some sauce on that.

Regardless, the moral argument can be made that humanity is reaping what it has sown. Let's use another hypothetical situation. What would you say if an adanvce alien race said that they needed to move humanity to mine out some mineral from the core of the Earth and that if they didn't get it tens of millions of their species would starve because they can't control their own population size? Should we suffer because they have too many kids?

>> No.12790743

I derive great pleasure from killing my fellow human beings.

It's...quite an experience.

>> No.12790771

>>12790733
>to mine out some mineral from the core of the Earth
Like Iron or Nickel, both of which can be found easier and harvested easier in space? What sort of "super material" that would exist in our core that doesn't exist in the crust where we are probably mining the shit out of it?

And that's another difference. You offer humans hard to get stuff (for us, if you have near-C travel speeds it's probably common for you) and they will do the work FOR YOU.

>> No.12790778

>>12790451
Indeed.
To my eye the real crime of it is the exclusion.
The problem is when it's not just that the IG are courageous for fighting to keep humanity alive against the horrors of the galaxy, but that HFY demands they have a monopoly on courage and that their sycophants do everything they can to remind everyone else that they are the only actually race with balls anywhere, ever.
Eldar Guardians: they muster out to protect their homes, they're armed with the worst their race has to offer, and they get "tarpit" dutes (see those Chaos Terms? Go slow'em down).
Cowards, every last one.
Fire Warriors: proud warrior caste soldiers who serve a philosophical abstract that necessitates welcoming even the most bitter enemies as crucial for mutual survival.
Worthless puppets, slaves to delusion.

Wow. Not just no mercy, but not even any respect.

Ignorant and Proud, the HFY way.

>> No.12790790

>>12790729
I don't know why my experience watching Avatar was so much different than your guys', but I was drawing my own moral conclusions throughout the film and after. Like I said in an early post, I saw the entire movie as morally gray, I could relate with all the "bad guys" in contrast to obviously black and white movies like Star Wars.

The only real tell for who the bad guys were was the music which obviously showed Sulley and the Na'vi were the good guys on the final battle, but you can't hold that against the movie. Audiences won't like a movie about a powerful guy with a gun shooting a weak guy with a rock, roll credits. They like underdog stories.

A lot of people thought the film was also anti-capitalist, but I personally saw that as gray too. I think it is because I'm not as insecure about capitalism. It sometimes tears a region a new one, but overall it is a necessary evil.

>> No.12790802

>>12790778
>To my eye the real crime of it is the exclusion.
>HFY
>implying there is are aliens to exclude irl
WHAT THE FUCK AM I READING?

>> No.12790812

>>12790802
HFY is generally brought out in fictional settings with aliens and shit, as you'd know if you'd seen any HFY threads.

>> No.12790827
File: 128 KB, 468x586, face74.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12790827

>>12790771
>Like Iron or Nickel, both of which can be found easier and harvested easier in space?
>doesn't know what hypothetical means
mfw

>> No.12790838

Can there be humanity fuck yeah when the only two factions are humans with differing ideology and government?

>> No.12790849

>>12790827
we know what's there. Your situation does not work.

Also, I like how you ignored the second part pointing out that if we could get it for them in exchange for something, WE WOULD. Capitalism does that. Being a bunch of ass-backwards hippies does not.

>> No.12790863

>>12790812
If you read back through the chain of links you will see that I, one of the two people who were discussing the benefits and deteriments of HFY, was arguing that HFY was a good thing in the world today because pride in our species brings humanity together. The next thing I know there are at least 3 posts bawing about the poor aliens. I like HFY beause it benefits mankind IN THE REAL WORLD... yeah, the real world still exists guys. :/

>> No.12790870

>>12790863
>I like HFY beause it benefits mankind IN THE REAL WORLD
No, real pride (personal pride) benefits people a lot more because it drives them to achieve.

Anyways, aliens ARE HFY related because HFY has its roots in sci-fi threads involving aliens and that's basically been the bread and butter of HFY.

>> No.12790885
File: 108 KB, 671x375, u_mad4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12790885

>>12790849
FOR FUCK'S SAKE MAN! LOOK UP WHAT HYPOTHETICAL MEANS!

I was setting up a HYPOTHETICAL situation where the roles were reversed and us humans were put in the situation the Na'vi were in. I swear to all that is good in this world if you keep on going on about nickel and iron...

I AM THIS MAD

>> No.12790898

>>12790885
>Also, I like how you ignored the second part pointing out that if we could get it for them in exchange for something, WE WOULD. Capitalism does that. Being a bunch of ass-backwards hippies does not.

Repeating the important part because you keep missing it.

>> No.12790919
File: 103 KB, 563x450, facepalm_quad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12790919

>>12790870
>real pride (personal pride)
Cuz nationalism never made anyone do anything right?

I'm a /sci/ regular and being there day to day has convinced me that /sci/ is far from the most intelligent board on 4chan... but posting in this thread is convincing me otherwise.

>> No.12790965
File: 60 KB, 350x200, face7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12790965

>>12790849
DAMN... IT...

The second part of your post means absolutely SHIT! In it you attempt to come up with solutions to benefit both parties, solutions that no longer have any connection with the movie Avatar. YOU NEED TO FUCKING UNDERSTAND WHAT A HYPOTHETICAL IS. I WAS USING IT TO HIGHLIGHT ONE ASPECT OF THE MOVIE AND HERE YOU ARE COMPLETELY MISSING THE POINT OF A HYPOTHETICAL AND OVER ANALYZING IT! BUY A FUCKING DICTIONARY OR LEARN HOW TO TYPE IN DICTIONARY.COM!

>> No.12791010

>>12790965
>In it you attempt to come up with solutions to benefit both parties, solutions that no longer have any connection with the movie Avatar.

It looks like that's the point. It showcases why the Avatar situation could not work in reverse, because humans are not like the Na'vi.

>> No.12791022

>GCU Grey Area stuff

Wasn't the Meatfucker one of the ships that went through the Excession? It suddenly showing up in an unrelated universe wouldn't be entirely unexpected.

>> No.12791024

>>12790965

Wut. You're question was how would we react to aliens treating us like we treated the aliens in Avatar. So how would we react to initially non-violent encroachment and the exchange of technology for resources?

Very well is of course the answer. Unlike those greedy retard cat people who use a room temperature super conductor for tree fertilizer.

>> No.12791073

>>12791010
>It looks like that's the point. It showcases why the Avatar situation could not work in reverse, because humans are not like the Na'vi.
>because humans are not like the Na'vi.
Hence my accusation that you don't know what a hypothetical situation is. This line of discussion is over.

>> No.12791081

Wow, sure is derailed in here.

>>12787268
As mentioned, no SM presence necessary or likely. Exterminatus is extreme overkill as well.

1) Scout ship or rogue trader finds Pandora. Orbital scan finds large quantities of useful materials; somewhat harmful but managable atmosphere (easily terraformable) - the planet will make an excellent forge world one day.
2) Primitive xenos noted and mostly ignored. Almost all savage planets are full of non-sentient and/or primitive xenos, humanity coexists with many of them (at a distance) so long as exterminating them is more trouble.
3) Mining colony established. Natives make nuisances of themselves, not much worse than any other large native predator could manage. They are butchered where encountered, but mostly ignored.
4) Local guard garrison captain Quatarich takes out a native stronghold. A na'vi war leader unifies the biosphere of the planet and wipes out the mining colony with overwhelming force.
5) Guard regiment arrives. Burns a beachhead onto the planet from orbit. Sends down the troops with flamers and tanks, mining colony is reestablished. Maybe a sanctioned psyker is allowed to fuck with the planet-mind.
6) There is no #6, pandora is done. The biosphere is /= the entire planet, so there are not going to be any orbital lava plumes to fry nearby ships. Once they purge a continent, they can get right back to mining and kill the rest of the planet with pollution. (would make a shitty agri-world, anyway) You would probably see na'vi slave labour within a year, as soon as you get a realistic governor in charge who can overlook xenophobia in the name of profit and status.

tl;dr - Warhammer is not all that, but even the most suetastic primitive aliens can't beat a war-obsessed spacefaring race that will not back down.

>> No.12791103

Well I know the subject of conversation has probably moved on from the OPs post by now, but I don't care.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5645599/1/Invasion_of_Pandora
It Improves around chapter 7, when someone that actually speaks English starts editing for him.

>> No.12791122

>>12791024
FUCK FUCK FUCK!!!

Let me RESTATE the hypothetical situation... Aliens come to Earth. They need some rare substance within the Earth's core and they are willing to move all of humanity to another planet and give us some of their technology in exchange. If we don't let them drill a hole through a planet tens of millions of their species will die because they are unable to control their own population. You have two choices: leave everything you know behind for the sake of some aliens who can't support their own growth, or say "fuck'em" and be a greedy blue cat person.

That is the hypothetical situation. You aren't allowed to analyze it, because that defeats the purpose of the hypothetical.

>> No.12791136

Navi are the equivalent of better looking less advanced kroot.... Kroot never win. ever (unless your playing white scars and being a moron.)

>> No.12791138

>>12791081
This guy knows his 40K.

>> No.12791149

>>12791122
>and they are willing to move all of humanity to another planet and give us some of their technology in exchange.

This is fine with me. I support moving.

>> No.12791152

to
>>12791073
from
>>12790898
>>12790849
>>12790771

this is not me
>>12791024
>>12791010

Don't assume that everyone that disagrees with you is the same person.

>> No.12791159

>>12791122
If I'm not allowed to analyze, how is it possible to have a discussion? For instance, couldn't we stay on the planet and allow them to mine in prescribed areas? Or find a better, non-destructive mining technology? Everything doesn't have to be zero-sum games.

>> No.12791171

>>12791152
Apologies if I accused you of something you didn't say, but if you were in anyone taking the hypothetical out of context like the other person or persons were then I retract my apology... no offense.

>> No.12791179

>>12791159
I already have to roll 3 rounds of dice to shoot your ass. I really don't want to know how many D6 I have to roll to negotiate with you.

>> No.12791181

>>12791122
I daresay most progressives would be willing to do it, though not thrilled. Most conservatives would not, which includes most everyone not in the global West. (and only about half of those that are)

It is a bit of a false choice, though: they are never going to get everyone to agree. Either they aliens are going to make the interstellar trip for nothing, or they are going to be willing to take some and fight the rest, or they are going to show up ready to fight. The first one is retarded; any race that can make the trip is going to realize the likelyhood of the natives being uncooperative. Thus we can expect to be politely force-relocated at best.

>> No.12791189

>>12791159
In this hypothetical, your options are severely restricted. It's meant to make you think about which option you would choose in that specific situation, not alternatives to those options. Think of it as a thought experiment- pretend you have no choices other than those presented.

It's really just a "put myself in their shoes" thing, except more simplified than usual.

>> No.12791209

>>12791181
Maybe those that accept the deal up front will be dealt with more kindly, while those that have to be forced off Earth will not get the best treatment. That seems like a reasonable expectation.

>> No.12791225

>>12791159
>If I'm not allowed to analyze, how is it possible to have a discussion?
IT'S A HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION, one that reverses the roles in Avatar so that humanity is the one having its home destroyed.

>couldn't we stay on the planet and allow them to mine in prescribed areas?
They need to drill a hole through the planet. The Earth will be completely uninhabitable. Anything less than that and the HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION loses its connection with the Na'vi situation (ie having to leave Hometree where their entire culture is, where they have lived for thousands of years, the only place they know how to live). Once again you display your inability to understand what a hypothetical situation is.

>Or find a better, non-destructive mining technology?
GREAT IDEA! AND LET'S TELL THEM TO ALSO TURN THE EARTH INTO CAKE!

FOR FJPEIOWJFPOEJ SAKE STOP OVER ANALYZING A HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION! The company in Avatar didn't give that option to the Na'vi so it defeats the purpose of the HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION.

You are an idiot.

>> No.12791251
File: 367 KB, 1024x768, 1288622627115.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12791251

>>12791225
Dude. Chill. This can't be good for your heart.

>> No.12791253
File: 68 KB, 800x600, raven_orgasm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12791253

>>12791181
>Thus we can expect to be politely force-relocated at best.
Would you like that? Of course not. Hence the Na'vi having justification for resisting. You didn't draw the connection yourself, at least not in your post, but at least you didn't miss the point of the hypothetical situation and spend several posts trying to wiggle out of the situation thereby defeating the purpose of the hypothetical.

One Raven orgasm for you sir.

>> No.12791259

>>12791251
You're right... I'm going to my Zen place... happy tree, happy tree, happy tree...

>> No.12791268

>>12791253
I'd be fine with that, because I'd be getting a totally new planet and fucking tech out of it. According to your never-to-be-crossed hypothetical boundaries.

>> No.12791281

>>12791081
Worst case scenario for the Imperium on Pandora - fucking Chaos. As usual, they bring their own problems with them wherever they go. As mentioned, the integrated biosphere is a big inviting target for Chaos. It pretty clearly is NOT already tainted; the whole point of Avatar is that the Na'vi have an idyllic existence living in harmony with their planet - no sign of undue slaughter, disease, excess or tumultuous change. Quite the opposite.

So, humanity shows up, a sanctioned Psyker is used to try to expidite the purge and shit goes south. The psyker goes warp-critical, some daemon takes up residence in the integrated biosphere and the place quickly starts getting death-worldy. The guard can still fight; the imperium does send the guard to purge Chaos worlds, they just dont expect them to come back. Serious Chaos worlds, where the taint has had centures to set in. And they still win sometimes; Exterminatus is what happens when they are losing and it is time to salt the fields before you leave.

Still, this depends entirely on the power of the Daemon(s). And at this point, it is entirely a normal 40k scenario; Chaos vs. Imperium of Man, with the Na'vi as innocent bystanders buried under meters of char.

>> No.12791297

>>12791268
I think I have found a failing to my hypothetical... we already know a lot about quid pro quo, but the Na'vi didn't. A more accurate hypothetical situation would be a situation where the aliens offer us something we have little notion of the value of... perhaps intergalactic credits and a extra dimensional time share?

>> No.12791381

>>12791297
Humans can see the value in practically anything. Intergalactic credits would be useful in trading with other species (which there presumably are). However, we could easily be screwed over if the aliens gave us the equivalent of one intergalactic cent, or gave us a currency no-one uses, or something like that. Same general idea for extra-dimensional timeshare.

The Na'vi were offered something they saw no use for. Humans should be offered something they see no use for, if you want the hypothetical to accurately mirror the Pandora situation. Like two hundred billion tons of dust. Or a cake made of sand.

>> No.12791404

>>12791268
Forced relocation in human history has seldom been much fun for the relocated. It is slightly more humane than Genocide, but often bears more than a passing resemblance to it.

>>12791253
Mmm, orgasm.
Still, I'd say that your hypothetical is not quite analogous to the Na'vi, because humans can actually understand and appreciate the offer of a new world and new technology. Due to the vast difference in cultural advancement, the Na'vi were not able to appreciate what was being offered. I think a better scenario would be: they need to blast the earth apart to mine the new meteor field, and they are willing to set up a machine-uplink system to allow people to transcend their bodies to a Utopian artificial reality and gain immortality if they desire. (but it sure looks like they are going into a cubicle and getting incinerated, even if a computer screen later tries to convince you it is them)

>> No.12791428

>>12791404
>>12791381
>>12791297
Pandora hive-mind?

>> No.12791439

>>12791404
>they are willing to set up a machine-uplink system to allow people to transcend their bodies to a Utopian artificial reality and gain immortality if they desire. (but it sure looks like they are going into a cubicle and getting incinerated, even if a computer screen later tries to convince you it is them)
That is a much better comparison.

>> No.12791469

>>12791381
So what you are saying is that the hypothetical should have the aliens offering humanity something that is indeed very useful but impossible for humanity to see said use? If so, you are right, that would better mirror Avatar.

>> No.12791492

>>12791404
I wanted to keep it simple, but you are right. In both situations the relocated peoples seemingly lose everything and gain only intangible things, ascendancy in the case of humans and educations and a road to development in the case of the Na'vi.

>> No.12791511

>>12791439
Don't forget that they give us a year for everyone to upload who is going to, then smash the planet regardless.

In this case - of course resistance is justified and expected. The aliens would be fools not to foresee it, so you would expect that they would be ready to make the necessary decisions when they left for Earth. They cannot foresee how our psychology will work, and the uplink is a morally acceptable alternative to them.

All this actually touches on a very interesting and active field of work on the philosophy of ethics. (ie - Is it ethically different to kill someone or let them die from your inaction? Is it worse to kill one to save many, or save one and let many die by your inaction? What if they are aliens, or animals, or apparently brain-dead? Or children, or fetuses? Is a consistent ethics possible at all?)

>> No.12791555
File: 159 KB, 250x350, Parker.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12791555

Post your favorite Avatar character.
>You see that?
>Yes sir.
>No you didn't you were looking at the monitor.

>> No.12791645

>>12791511
1) I think you guys are running a little too far with the hypothetical and losing track of its relation to the movie.

>(ie - Is it ethically different to kill someone or let them die from your inaction? Is it worse to kill one to save many, or save one and let many die by your inaction? What if they are aliens, or animals, or apparently brain-dead? Or children, or fetuses? Is a consistent ethics possible at all?)
2) This is why I despise philosophy, and the notion of morality too. One needs to define a goal for the words good and bad to have any meaning... and yet philosophy majors make a profession out of failing to defining a goal and arguing regardless. Fucking philosophy majors.

>> No.12791684
File: 160 KB, 708x395, quaritch.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12791684

I frigg'n loved Quaritch too. I was a little confused on whether James Cameron wanted me to despise this guy or to want him to marry my daughter, so to speak.

>> No.12791787

I'm sad this thread is dead.

>> No.12792217
File: 1.83 MB, 1920x1080, Just as planned text.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12792217

>>12791684
Quaritch is /tg/'s waifu.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action