Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
[ERROR] No.12677882 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

Anyone have any stories for Call of Cthulhu where one of your PC characters have actually acended to something beyond human, or had a "win" of some sorts?

If not Call of Cthulhu related games general.

>> No.12677905

No one "wins" a CoC game.

>> No.12677918

no one wins at CoC. Just masturbation over PC deaths and how hopeless life is.

>> No.12677932

I think once my character was on his way to becoming an insane cultist. That's sort of a "success" isn't it?

>> No.12677936

Ascending to a higher plain is pretty much losing. Because those plains are full of things that hate you and will eat your soul.
Humans can't be gods and stay human in CoC, you'd become something mad and free that is just as bad as all the others.
The only way to win is not to play

>> No.12677937

Has anyone here ever done anything epic before dying at least? Kinda like in the video game where he killed Dagon with a battleship?

>> No.12677939

>>12677918
>>12677905
>Haven't read any epic stories regularly posted here

>> No.12677945

>acended to something beyond human
Automatic San check failure. Make a new PC.

>> No.12677947

>ascended to something beyond human
>win

>> No.12677954

I'll just leave this here.

Pic. So. Very. Related.

And I'm so sorry that I only have part 2.

>> No.12677956

You can survive to fight another day. Though that's really more boring than otherwise.
Now taking the monster down with you? Closing the portal? Solving the mystery?
That's awesome.

>> No.12677959

My last CoC party caused the oil leak. They went batshit over South Park.

>> No.12677960

>>12677936
Technically it's win for the now higher powered non-human. Not for humanity, but since you're no longer a part of humanity, it no longer concerns you.

>> No.12677964

>>12677939

any of them archived?

>> No.12677966

>>12677918
CoC is not misery tourism and that you think that just goes to show you haven't played it.

>> No.12677975

In the Delta Green rulebook there is a particular spell which can be spotted in some notes by anyone with a successful mathematics/physics roll. It's more of a mental revelation than a spell, and when a player attempts it their mind ascends to a higher state of consciousness- and their body disintegrates.

>> No.12677994

>>12677954

Badass

>> No.12677996

I know who refuses to play CoC because it's hard to "win". I really wanted to jap slap him, as I never thought rpgs were about winning or that there was even a preclusion about the idea of winning. That's some ol' vidya gaem bullshit.

>> No.12678006

My group's first CoC mission was from the core rulebook- I don't remember the name, but it ws about a nasty thing some kids had summoned in a haunted house and just left there because the wards would keep it inside- but the wards only lasted as long as each of the kids were alive. The mission begins with the last one dying.

We had plenty of lols, but the main one was when our "Doctor of Medicine" (who armed himself with two revolvers) went into the basement, and spotted something running toward the exit in the darkness. He emptied four bullets into it, and it turned out to be a now-very-dead hobo.

It's ok, because the hobo came back as a zombie later.

>> No.12678054

>>12678006
>It's ok, because the hobo came back as a zombie later.

>> No.12678077

Well if you count "having their bodies stolen and their brains stuffed into robot bodies by Mi-Go who blackmail the chars into fetching stuff for them before the batteries run out" as beyond human, then yes, one of the African campaigns in Call of Cthulhu gives you that.

>> No.12678102

Solve Kruschtya Equation.
AdviceNyarly.jpg
Have your soul replaced with my essence.

Enjoy your tripled EDU, WIS of 86 and 0 SAN

>> No.12678105

>>12678077
I haven't read the African sourcebooks, but to my knowledge of Mi-go, "robot bodies" is an overstatement.

>> No.12678143

>>12678077

This picture is amazing.

>> No.12678160

>>12678077

It was more like they had their organs stolen and replaced with Mi-Go machinery that only lasted 2 or 3 days iirc.
They were then forced to get something out of a spacecraft belonging to the God of the Red Flux.

The best part? If you succeed, the characters get their organs back.
The twist?
They have to put them back correctly themselves.
Without tools.
In the fucking african wilderness.

>> No.12678187

>>12678160
I'm SO gonna spring that on my players.

>> No.12678217

>>12678160

HAAAH!!! :D

>> No.12678222

I did have one player make The Unspeakable Promise with Hastur, in Tatters of the King. He sold his soul for fame and talent. As the campaign neared its conclusion, in the depths of the Himalayas, he tried to bring another player round to his point of view, that the arrival of Hastur wouldn't be a bad thing, that humanity would be changed, but for the better.

The other player shot him dead. He got better.

To be honest, I think the best example of a group that's "won" Cthulhu is the Cult of Transcendence from Delta Green. As the cultists rise through the front organisations they gradually abandon more and more of their humanity till they become Masters and move into a house in Stockholm where they grow utterly divorced from their old, worthless humanity and embrace their new power, until they reach their final award: departing this world entirely and becoming one of the dancers at the Court of Azathoth. Brilliant.

>> No.12678235

>>12678160

That was one of the better scenarios in the Africa book.

The worst one was the one with the ghoul's underground human storage. Brilliant idea, terrible execution.

>> No.12678236

My CoC group for a halloween one-shot had a "win" of sorts. The players were all too physically scared to go into the cult's castle base at the end, so they all escaped with their (admittedly lowered) sanity.

>> No.12678241

Stephen Alzis won Call of Cthulhu.

>> No.12678263

Antarctica Campaign.

Players expect frozen Elder Things.
Instead they find THE Thing.
At least one of them is beyond human now.

>> No.12678264

>>12678241
>Stephen Alzis
>Nuff' said

>> No.12678267

I stopped explicitly using the mythos in my CoC when it became apparent that my players were reading the source material. Now they get treated to a game of Filipino mythology.

>Aswang, Aswang Everywhere

>> No.12678277

>>12678267
I skipped the possibility of them using source material, so my players are being exposed to the deranged shit from South American tribal cultures.
>Xipe Totec, I'm looking at you.

>> No.12678283

>>12678241
>Stephen Alzis

>> No.12678288

i always wanted to play CoC but never had a group that was willing to play it. its a shame since im a cthulhu fanboy from hell. also i wanted to get this to use in a game.

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PF01414

i would love to use this in a chaos themed army in 40k

>> No.12678295

>>12678283
My god. It makes so much sense.

>> No.12678304

>>12678267
wow that is pretty cool.

>> No.12678314

there's always some really obscure stuff to surprise even Cthulhu fanboys.
There are so many ways to lead them into the false direction based on their assumptions

>> No.12678315

>>12678241

>implying Stephen Alzis was ever human

>> No.12678323

>>12678277
>Xipe Totec

GET OUT. That's my game too!

>> No.12678325

>>12678283
>>12678283
>>12678283
>It's so true
>It's magnificent

>> No.12678339

>>12678314

Even if you are dealing with metagaming Lovecraft fanboys, just change the monsters around. Like Black Cod Island, or as I like to call it: Innsmouth 2.0.

>Deep Ones? Pft, we'll just deal with them in the old Delta Green way. Wait, what the fuck are those? What's that thing? I've been infected? But I'm not a woman! Oh god

>> No.12678342

>>12678277

Awesome. I find that I can more adequate suprise, disturb, and horrify my players when I use non-HPL material. I also tend to use tactics like "kidnapping" a player from the group during a break, which causes the players both IC and OOC to be on edge during the next few rounds. I may even use that player to help freak out the other players during the game, like making noises outside.

>> No.12678345

>>12678283

This is how I will play Alzis when my players meet him. Except, you know, an Arab version of him.

>> No.12678374

>>12678323
As it stands, the players were unaware that zombies featured in a few tribal myths. Throw in a few other, "Huh, that seems weird" moments they have yet to piece together and its leading them to some pretty unpleasant territory within the next two sessions.

...and everything seemed to be going so well...

>> No.12678389

True tales from the table, regarding Stephen Alzis:
>Get into his office to discuss some sort of mission
>Player whips out a gun, shoots Stephen.
>"YOU IDIOT! YOU'VE KILLED US ALL!!"
>(I shit myself, and remember an idea I read online, and roll with it.)
>Stephen sighs, and sits back in his chair.
>"You know what I love, [character]? What I really love?"
>"I love myself."
>"And the problem here is, you've just shot someone I love."
>[character]'s mobile rings.
>It's the hospital
>His wife has been shot
>Later dies from wounds
>Autopsy- bullet matches [character]'s gun.
>My face.

Later, they go back and incredibly, the player hasn't learnt his lesson. Or he was stewing over his wife's death, and figures there's nothing else to lose.
>Whips out gun, shoots Stephen.
>Another player actually flees room.
>Stephen continues on as if nothing ever happened.
>At end of meeting, Stephen addresses [character]:
>"You've ruined a perfectly good jacket. It seems only fair that you give me yours."
>Player begrudgingly complies, the two swap jackets.
>[character] drops dead, bleeding heavily from his chest due to a gunshot wound.
>Authorities deem it a suicide, due to the bullet matching [character]'s gun.
>Players never challenge Stephen Alzis again.

>> No.12678395

>>12678288 here

i had some ideas from old heavy metal magazines from the late 70`s early 80`s for a CoC games. one was"tex arcana" look that crazy shit up. ninjas are really cultists and shoggoths, the great old nes are actually as scared of us as we are of certain poisonous insects. and islam is the closest thing to elder god worship. also that angel thread from a few weeks ago, that was some great shit.

>> No.12678397

My Alzis is a sort of amalgamation of Sydney Greenstreet's Kasper Gutman/Signor Ferrari characters crossed with Peter Lorre's Ugarte. (mannerisms and dealings like the former, voice and look like the latter)

>> No.12678425

>>12678315
See, making Alzis an avatar of Nyarlathotep is just way to easy in my book.

So in my games, he's a human sorcerer who plays like he's Nyarly. And for some reason the Elder God is ok with it.

>> No.12678429

>>12678386
>I like to look at the game as more often indifferent to the PC's survival (or death, as is often the case) than villainously hostile.
That's how we play (all editions prior to 3rd) D&D.
CoC is a bit more of a mystery game with "you might win the battle but you lost the war before it even began" for us.
Your character might survive, even still sane if you play it smart, but in the end you only won some more time for Humanity.

>> No.12678430

I actually don't mention Stephen Alzis's Arab appearance. Frankly, I always imagine him as some sort of suave, smooth talking classic brit guy. Infact, I suppose he's like your classic brit Bond villain, if more subtle.

>> No.12678441

>>12678386

This is 100% my view.

Even if you take a "purist" Lovecraft view, the protagonists or humanity "won" in several stories. In the Dunwich Horror, Armitage and friends banished the Son with magical power. In the Thing on the Doorstep, Ephraim Waite finally got shot. In the Shadow Over Innsmouth, the government rolled in, cleaned Innsmouth up, imprisoned the degenerate townsfolk and torpedoed Y'hanethlei. In the Case of Charles Dexter Ward, the doctor undid Curwen's spell and put him back in the grave.

In all those stories, the protagonists, or humanity as a whole, won. They eliminated the threat, they held the night back a little longer. It might have had a terrible cost, and in the long run, humanity's still doomed, but they still won.

>> No.12678453

Call of Cthulhu game based on some obscure russian(?) Mythos story.
The players are cyborg astronauts discovering HPL's corpse on Pluto.

read here and adapt it for your own purposes
http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/ghooric.htm

>> No.12678463

>>12677954
Here's part 1 of Old Man Henderson's tale.

>> No.12678471

>>12678453

correction, they start from Pluto to some 10th planet where they find HPL

>> No.12678482

>>12678425

The way I see it, the investigators will never get a true idea of exactly who or what Alzis is. The GM doesn't really need a perfect answer either, as long as he knows what Alzis wants, or how he'll respond to the players' actions.

Whether he's Nyarlathotep, or a human sorcerer playing god, or Omar Shakti's summoned familiar, it doesn't really matter.

Plus, Nyarlathotep doesn't need to care about some human pretending to be him. As long as he doesn't interfere with Nyarly's plans let him play pretend all he likes.

>> No.12678672

Bump for some CoC.

>> No.12678703

>>12678463
Saved. Thank ya much.

>> No.12678760

What does Alzis want? Is he the ultimate investigator, sacrificing "pawns" to gain a complete knowledge of the Mythos and its activities, and ultimately bring it crashing down? Is he an ally (or construct) of the Mi-Go, seeking to gather as much knowledge as possible before the Endtimes? Is he a follower of the Mythos, playing some complicated double- (triple-, quadruple-, etc.) game? Is he just a very well-informed crime lord?

You need to know this (although the players shouldn't, until much later in the campaign), in order to figure out his approach - does he play for sympathy to his fellow investigators, dropping hints about artifacts and myths which might help them? (and which pan out?) Perhaps Belial betrays Alzis, and he comes to the players for assistance against an even greater menace (whether Belial is a genuine menace or was put up to this is your call). Will he simply cause the characters' usual sources to dry up (Shriveling's handy for that), which forces the characters to go to him but doesn't inspire trust? Will he pull a "Usual Suspects" and force the characters to make up to him for ostensibly ruining his operation?

Also, keep in mind that many fortunate coincidences in Alzis' career could be just that. Maybe the Doolittle Sinkhole was caused by Cthonians, or too much digging by Ghouls, or was just an extreme version of your basic New York pothole. Maybe Alzis is protecting humanity by building on top of it. Those deaths since the 1930's? Amazing what you can do with some stand-ins and plastic surgery. Or blood bags.

>> No.12678764

>>12678703
No problem, I knew I'd saved those things for a reason.

Also, I don't think it's actually possible to "win" Call of Cthulhu unless you're the Keeper.

It's possible to have a temporary victory, (you crash the ship into Cthulhu's own head, stopping him from leaving the Island and summoning forth the rest of the Old Ones... until the next time the stars are right...) but actually winning? That would require permanently disabling Cthulhu's ability to dream... so no. Not gonna happen.

>> No.12678792

>>12678453

I got a really Eclipse Phase-y feel off a lot of that story.

Of course it makes sense, seeing as how Eclipse Phase is my chosen future for Cthulhu. The TITANs went insane when they advanced enough to hear Cthulhu's dreams and knew what was going to happen when It woke up. Their war with humanity was their own insane way of saving humanity from what was about to happen.

The Factors are the next stage of the Mi-Go's Grey Deception.

>> No.12678793

>>12678482
Unless it was in the plans all along.

Nyarly is Tzeentch with a sense of humor.

>> No.12678813

>>12678764

You just need to redefine winning. You're not going to fundamentally change the way the Universe works, but you can hold back the End for a day or two more, or save the village from the Thing underneath the hill, or rescue the private investigator in way over his head.

>> No.12678842

>>12678813
Yes, that's why I said "temporary victory". You're probably going to die, but at the least you'll die saving the world. Who could ask for more?

>> No.12678852

I know it flies in the face of what everybody else does with it (thrash metal, etc.), but I think of Club Apocalypse as one of those super-chic retro swing bars.

Speakers twenty feet tall like a metal venue, but they're pumping live modern swing - Squirrel Nut Zippers, Brian Setzer, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Ingrid Lucia & the Flying Neutrinos to name a few. The bands always dress like something straight out of Dick Tracy, with primary color dramatic lighting though light stage fog, and people pulling moves on the dance floor that you never see outside a bad movie. The kind of place where the impeccably dressed Stephen Alzis doesn't just fit in perfectly, but defines. A place where every hat on the premises is perfectly cocked, and every shoe shines like a mirror. You could almost imagine a fight breaking out, but it would be a Westside Story dance rumble. Except there are no fights - just the occasional muffled pop of a Derringer in the hands of a stogie-totin' fatman followed by the efficient and seemingly choreographed removal of a body by the waitstaff - without even a beat lost in the music. Bouncers the size of the Governor of California keep a close eye over the place, but seem unneeded as the very idea of raising a ruckus is just anathema to the whole place.

And it always seems like the spot hits the drummer at the beginning of a wild solo just as Alzis walks in.

>> No.12678904

Maltese Falcon/Casablanca Alzis guy again.
I don't even use his setting stuff, just him.
He's the damn NPC that almost always shows up in our longer running campaigns at some point. Perhaps he's the shady Moroccan who can smuggle the artifact out of the country or the paid middle-man to whoever hired the PCs.
He's never been explained (and I never bothered to define him) but he tends to have a new few lines of completely different and contradictory background to tell the PCs every time they come around to asking him who he is.

>> No.12679133

>>12678852

I like it.

Personally, I'd envisaged Club Apocalypse as an odd mix of wild metal mosh pits and genteel, quiet gentleman's club. Despite the fact that it's packed with young things rocking out, high on god know's what, despite the fact that you can barely hear yourself think and despite the fact that the place is full of celebrities, it's also dead quiet, it's always tidy and it's the best place in the world to conduct shady, underhanded deals. No-one causes any trouble (unless the investigators do it) and it always feels like something's a little wrong.

Having the players get used to it being one way, with Charnel Dreams rocking out and the crowd screaming the words, and then the next time they arrive, it's exactly as you describe could be a great way to throw off the players, especially if they were only away for a couple of hours. If they ask Alzis, he just tells them he wanted a change of decor.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action