Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 129 KB, 828x560, john_blanche_battlefleet_gothic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11806393 No.11806393 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

I just don't understand. Why is it not all space battles and orbital bombardments?

Even now a days the only time you would have an army invade is when you don't know friend from foe. Otherwise you would just bomb the shit out of the place and THEN movie in for clean up. I doesn't seem to me that in 40k ANY group really cares about civilians all that much, if a planet even has any, which most times it seems like they don't.

Whenever I read 40k fluff, there is almost NOTHING about space-battles, and it's about armies getting dropped off on a planet to fight. How does that even make sense? Why the hell would anyone let the other guys unload their troops on a planet? It's like the two huge battle cruisers are like "Hey, wait, lets just unload these guys on that rock over there, and kill each other that way."
Why not just blow the shit out of them instead?

Is there some kinda 40k U.N. I don't know about stopping this shit?

>> No.11806431

Generally, all the stuff which would make you bother conquering the planet in the first place is...planetside. And, that "stuff" is not immune to an orbital bombardment.

>> No.11806440
File: 44 KB, 395x317, 1675 - barack_obama god_emperor_of_mankind warhammer_40k.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11806440

How many points would it take to field the God Emperor?

I want to reenact the Horus Heresy, and want to know what the point # for the battle should be.

>> No.11806476
File: 105 KB, 800x600, Necrons_DawnOfwar.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11806476

>Generally, all the stuff which would make you bother conquering the planet in the first place is...planetside. And, that "stuff" is not immune to an orbital bombardment.

Like, what? Seems like all they care about is building military bases anyway. You just need rocks for that. It's not like your going to want to set up a colony after the Necrons shat on a planet.

And, even if you did, you could just bring in what you need. Most of the time they do anyway.

>> No.11806484

It's a tabletop wargame. GW can't sell little army men if the fluff doesn't support it.

Also, Battlefleet Gothic.

>> No.11806495

So you are a farmer. And you have 3 fields. You need all of them to turn a profit and not starve. However one of your fields gets gophers in it. Now the way most people deal with gophers is getting their gun and shooting them. You could in theory set fire to the whole field killing the gophers but also destroying the fields and starving yourself.

Extermanitus in the 40k universe is seen as a failure for just that reason. It destroys needed resources along with the enemy. Where dropping an army off to fight does not destroy everything.

>> No.11806503

>>11806440
all of them

>> No.11806513

>>11806476
Troops need food, supplies, etc. The Imperium is very asset conscious; that's what the Administratum is all about. Resorting to orbital bombardment every time a planet rebels is no good; sure, you destroy the rebels, but you also destroy all the resources you want the planet for anyway.

There are also planetary void shields capable of withstanding orbital bombardment. From what I've seen of them in fluff they require sustained and/or massive amounts of firepower to take down. There are also planetary weapons capable of striking ships in orbit (missiles, lances, etc). In the case of a well prepared enemy orbital bombardment isn't an option.

>> No.11806539

> Why is it not all space battles and orbital bombardments?

I think that is the Imperium's MO. The reason you don't each much about it is because there is was one game based around it. Most people want to hear about what their army does.

> Even now a days the only time you would have an army invade is when you don't know friend from foe.

Or if there is infrastructure that you want to keep functioning.

> I doesn't seem to me that in 40k ANY group really cares about civilians all that much, if a planet even has any, which most times it seems like they don't.

That is dependent on what group we are talking about. Tyranids want to eat everyone body. Space Wolves and Fire Salamanders like the ordinary man. Chaos and Dark Eldar want slaves and sacrifices. Space Wolves have fought the Inquisition because of this.

> Whenever I read 40k fluff, there is almost NOTHING about space-battles, and it's about armies getting dropped off on a planet to fight.

See first response. There are stories that mention space fights. The last Ciaphas Cain novel has examples of pretty much everything you are complaining about while give the reasons behind them.

> Why the hell would anyone let the other guys unload their troops on a planet?

Planets are big and ships are limited in number. There are also things called drop pods. They are made to rapid drop forces onto a planet.

> Why not just blow the shit out of them instead?

That does happen. As mentioned above planets are big and ship can be limited in number. An attacking force and just go balls out and rush to the planet. They drop off as many as they can before being destroyed.

>> No.11806554

>It's a tabletop wargame. GW can't sell little army men if the fluff doesn't support it.

So, "there is no good reason, games don't need to make sense."

>> No.11806558

>>11806440

Emperor of Mankind (Horus Heresy) 950 points

WS 8 BS 6 S 6 T 8 W 5 I 7 A 4 Ld 10 Sv 2+

Eternal Warrior, Fearless

The Emperor of Mankind is a Psyker, and always automatically passes all Perils of the Warp tests.

Artificer Armor - confers a 2+ invulnerable save
Beacon of Light - all enemy units must take a leadership test before assaulting or shooting the Emperor. Any result EXCEPT 11 or 12 results in the unit not shooting or assaulting that turn.

Paragon of Humanity - all units in the army automatically pass all leadership tests.

>> No.11806562

>>11806440
All of them.

>> No.11806605
File: 154 KB, 500x333, Necromunda.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11806605

>Resorting to orbital bombardment every time a planet rebels is no good; sure, you destroy the rebels, but you also destroy all the resources you want the planet for anyway.
I understand army movement for rebels, sure, but when you're fighting Tau, they aren't rebels.

The point being most of the time they seem to want planets for their "strategic value." If your just going to put in a base, you don't need lovey countryside, which would be torn up anyway in the battle.

Also, you can bring in seeds to plant stuff, or just turn it into a huge city scape or something after.

>> No.11806607

>>11806554

That's not what he said at all. You need a reason for everyone to fight each other, and the miniatures largely represent men/creatures/individual troops and tanks and armored vehicles. The fluff was born from the game, not the other way around. And honestly, 40K is fantasy in space, like Star Wars. It's not hard science fiction.

Also, BATTLEFLEET GOTHIC

>> No.11806623

OP, STFU Play Battlefield Gothic (or the older game "Space Fleet", lol) then, and stop being a whining 'nidiot

>> No.11806637

No one plays battle fleet gothica.

There is also very little fluff for it.

>> No.11806666

>I doesn't seem to me that in 40k ANY group really cares about civilians all that much
LOLWUT?
Orks care about civilians - though not as much as about military. To smash da gits you need da gits
Tyranids care about civilians. They are tasty
Necrons... well, they care about civilians. Well, not as much care as harvest them
Dark Eldars care about civilians. They make slaves
Eldar care about civilians - their civilians, anyway
Tau care about civilians, greater good and stuff
Chaos careaabout civilians. They make good sacrifices.
tl; dr: you are wrong

>> No.11806670
File: 13 KB, 480x360, 0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11806670

Her is a question, why would a group like the Necrons EVER field troops?

They just want to turn all planets into sand balls anyway.

http://www.nartube.net/547fe97483:Jc1u1s4-zW0.html

>> No.11806674

...
If you want to think like that;

Planets are important staging points for fleets.

Just having a fleet does fuck all if you can't resupply/base it somewhere.

Resources my friend.
And strategic locations.
Pretty much what it boils down too.

>> No.11806693

>>11806674


Going with this; Generally, if you're not smashing a planet, it has something you want on it, so you don't want to smash it.

For example, Saint Sabbat.

>> No.11806706

>I doesn't seem to me that in 40k ANY group really cares about civilians all that much
>Eldar care about civilians - their civilians, anyway

That seems to be the point, if nothing is on the planet but the other guy, which seems to happen ALL THE TIME, why NOT blow the shit out of it? Its not like its going to be alll pretty at the end of a long drown out land battle anyway.

I just don't get it. It seems like 99% of the fluff is for land battles and 1% is for space battles. Should be the other way around.

>> No.11806736

>>11806637
I collect the ships cause they make for nice decorations

>> No.11806755

>>11806706
>Should be the other way around.


You seem to misunderstand just how big space is.
Space battles are not that common.

>> No.11806769
File: 23 KB, 400x250, SW_vs_ST.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11806769

Every other SciFi future understands this.

Sure, you have SOME land battles, but most of the fighting is done on ships.

>> No.11806790

>You seem to misunderstand just how big space is.
Space battles are not that common.

You could check by looking around a planet with aliens on it.

>> No.11806791

>>11806706
What you don't seem to get is the long term ramifications for each reaction.

They WANT the planet so that they can use it for one of hundreds of reasons.

If the go to a land battle sure things will be fucked up, but only a bit and probably only on certain bits of the planet, if weird shit like chaos magic wasn't used then estimated time to planet being back to normal would be about 50-100 years tops.

If they do ANY of the attack from orbit things they have either:
1. Exterminatus: Made the planet totaly useless for all purposes.
2. Nuke: fucked up the atmosphere, ecology and ecosystem for hundreds of years
3. Lance strike targets: fucked up huge parts of land and messed with the atmosphere. taking hundreds of years to fix.

If they WANT the planet doing a land battle makes total sense, if they just want to keep it from an enemy as a total last resort they will exterminauts it.

>> No.11806794

>>11806476
A hiveworld has fallen into rebellion.

Approximately 40% of the population of a hive has turned to Chaos and is in control with the aid of Chaos Space Marines and Daemons. The remaining 60% is trying to fight back.

The hiveworld is an important industrial location that manufactures almost approximately 0.008% of the Imperial Guard's weaponry - and given the scale of the Imperium, that's a fucking lot.

Bombarding that site will render all of the industrial facilities useless because it's a hive city - any serious damage will cause the spire to come crashing down on the rest of the hive city, resulting in total devastation that will take hundreds of years to repair. Almost all loyal citizens will be lost in the process.

IS IT WORTH BOMBARDMENT?

>> No.11806802

Exterminatus is expensive. A few million IG with flashlights are cheap.

>> No.11806809
File: 65 KB, 640x480, image502.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11806809

>>11806790
>Space battles are not that common.

Radar

>> No.11806814

>>11806670

No they don't. I don't understand where the idea that Necrons are omnicidal comes from. They aren't. They're mindless drones that serve the C'tan, and the C'tan says "Round these cattle up - I want a snack." C'tan want a nice contained ranch for their tasties, not to eliminate them entirely. Hell, the last time it looked like life was going to die out, the Necrons went to sleep because the C'tan couldn't bear the thought of waiting for more tasties to evolve.

>> No.11806822

>>11806769
Let's not fucking bring Star Wars into this. Its battles consist of two enormous fucking masses of military power just driving directly into each other. Infantry running towards each other, if only to get a better shot. It's bullshit, what it is, but I guess stormtrooper inaccuracy explains why they must close the gap.

>> No.11806829

>>11806794
> IS IT WORTH BOMBARDMENT?

No, but that's not what I am talking about. I am talking about alien on alien action. Which are what MOST of the 40k battles are about.

>> No.11806854

Traveling between systems is dangerous. You also can't go, "I want to go to that star over there." and make a straight path there. You have to find a warp route. There are some close systems that are left unexplored because there is no safe route there. Taking all of this in you don't want to be turn every planet you come across that doesn't have your guys on into a barren rock.

>>11806670

Really?

The same reasons the IG isn't nothing but, Baneblades. The same reasons the Imperium isn't nothing but, Space Marines. The same reasons the Tyranids don't only field bio-titans.

They are all resource heavy and not always the right tool for every job.

>>11806706

If there is really nothing but, the other guy they do just blow the shit out of it. If the other guy was holding something that was yours you aren't going to do this.

>> No.11806871

>>11806854
>The same reasons the Imperium isn't nothing but, Space Marines.

I thought that was because of gene seed limitations, or else they WOULD just only have SMs.

>> No.11806887

>>11806871
Just like how reality is full of SAS.

>> No.11806891

>>11806829
The Eldar never attack planets, they just do covert attacks using the webway gates.

The Tau would want to take the planet as peaceful as possible and in fact very rarely invade openly, they tend to just subtly culturally dominate planets and then join them into the fold.

The orks don't really HAVE orbital bombardtment capabilitys and even if they did would not use them as they would not be able to gets stuck in themselves.

Chaos DOES nuke and exterminatus planets, during each dark crusade they roll out an all powerful weapon that BLOWS PLANETS UP, and destroy a bunch of shit in the cadian system. There is a reason they are the bad guys.

The Tyranid don't orbital bombard as it's pointless, they CONSUME PLANETS, why bomb what you are going to have to land troops on to eat anyway?

And Imperium has been explained already.

As you see there is never really any REASON to bomb the planet for any of the races MO.

>> No.11806898

>>11806871

Yeah.

Emperor's original plan was to convert every capable human into a Space Marine, but the primarchs were lost, gene-seed was incompatible with anyone who wasn't the very best etc

>> No.11806900
File: 46 KB, 306x238, grin.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11806900

>some kinda 40k U.N.

Now there's an amusing idea.

>> No.11806906
File: 14 KB, 400x300, Exterminatus_Enter_Key_by_T_H_E_Q651.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11806906

>If there is really nothing but, the other guy they do just blow the shit out of it. If the other guy was holding something that was yours you aren't going to do this.

Well, if that's the case, good, but it does not read like that.

>> No.11806917

It's kind of obvious even without examining the fluff that the Imperial Navy is the go-to for alien problems. The stories all concern the exceptions when, for whatever reason that's not an option.

>> No.11806962

>>11806822

>ts battles consist of two enormous fucking masses of military power just driving directly into each other. Infantry running towards each other, if only to get a better shot. It's bullshit, what it is, but I guess stormtrooper inaccuracy explains why they must close the gap.

>implying WH40k space combat doesn't have ships going broadside and ramming each other and not using missiles like modern navies do
>implying WH40k ground combat doesn't have trench warfare and/or bayonet charges that would make WWI generals cum buckets with tank rushes and giant super-robots and no air support and not squad-level tactics with occasional heavy armor, artillery and air support as modern military doctrine goes
>implying 40k is better than Star Wars even if it has all the same shit just by the virtue of being 40k

>> No.11806970

>>11806962
>I never even implied 40k's system is better
>You're a dumbass

>> No.11806982

>>11806970

>no u
>hurr durr greentext greentext greentext herp derp

>> No.11806995

>>11806982
>Hurr durr
>I didn't start this
>It's fashionable to greentext

>> No.11807007

>>11806962
This man has never heard of cover saves or the fact they you need your units together like an actual squad or they will break and flee under fire.

>> No.11807026

>>11806891
Only as a tactic of last resort. A scorched earth policy if you will.

>> No.11807044

Planets usually have life on them, and that life is vital to keep the Imperium running. There is space battles, and they do take place. It's just that most the game revolves around ground base units therefore most your fluff will be about ground based attacks.

So while the ground battle is going on, a space battle and most likely an air battle is also going on. Depends on the threat they're dealing with, rebels won't likely have any other forces than ground troops and perhaps a few birds. Orks don't really have a Space Navy or Airforce but they have huge amounts of Boyz and a love for CQC.

Eldar and Dark Eldar don't always have a webway big enough for their ships to fly through. Necrons need to raise their ships from the world, and in order to do that they must raze/harvest the living for more warrior and energy to raise the heavy monoliths..etc.

Tau are known for their navy but it takes a huge amount of time for them to get to one point of their small empire to the other. However Imperium has better experience and tactics so generally the Tau navy is destroyed rapidly, and ground war quickly won. With the exception of the last worlds of the Daomacus Crusade which the Tau dug in and defended the worlds with everything they got. Even then they were about to be overran if 'Nids didn't need their attention more.

>> No.11807057

They nuke and exterminatus the shit out of planets in ork empires constantly to keep their numbers down. It mentions this in every ork codex. The only time they don't nuke it from orbit is when it is one of the imperiums worlds.

For tyranids, they draw the hive fleets forces onto the planet to exhaust its resources then burn the planet so it can't reclaim that biomass.

This is well know fluff.

>> No.11807096

I would like to point out that space battles are very long drawn out fights in the Imperium. A shot fired 8 hours ago just now hit its target. Thats the kind of distance one is speaking about. Space battles happen plenty though, and thats one reason I like ADB's books is that he actually describes them fairly well.

>> No.11807108

>>11807057
Well Ork planets you'll no way in hell get rid all the Orks through ground forces.

That later tactic is used because it weakens the Hive and makes it easier to strike down.

Both are extremely rare and costly ordeals a last minute result.

>> No.11807406

Why does no one play battlefleet gothica?

>> No.11807535

>>11806854 Traveling between systems is dangerous. You also can't go, "I want to go to that star over there." and make a straight path there.

Actually, you can make short warp jumps without the aid of a navigator to systems roughly 4 or 5 light years away reliably.

>> No.11807562

>>11807535
"reliable" aka every 4 out of 5 ships make it.

>> No.11807700

Crops/plants take time to grow.
Weapons found on space-craft are designed to blast the ever-loving fuck out of other space-craft with shields meant to prevent that from happening.
As such, these weapons are absolutely devastating on anything that ISN'T a space-craft.
We're talking about weapons that cause entire oceans to boil away into space, boy-o.
That and generally when fighting for a planet it's often due to resources or staging the next assault, but also it's often the case for the Imperium/Eldar/whoever that a planet has ONE thing of importance to them, an artifact of some kind, for example.

>> No.11807723

Because space-navies cannot be everywhere.

Aliens can land somewhere, the planet calls for help, and relief forces are sent in to destroy the alien threat.

>> No.11807750
File: 184 KB, 760x570, battlefleet-gothic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11807750

>>11807700
Sounds like they need to get some fighter planes.

Why no Dog Fights?

>> No.11807845

>>11807406
>>11806736
>>11806637
I play Gothic... It's awesome.

>> No.11807867

>>11807750

They do. You can make a guess or two on how successful they are against the larger ships.
And it's not so much "fighters" as it is "ships smaller and therefor more maneuverable than the capital ships."

>> No.11807894

I want to play BFG but there is not FLGS where they sold it, neither people who play it...
Feels bad man...
Buying a forgeworld tau fleet is not an option.

>> No.11807898

>>11807867
I mean, ships that fly into the atmosphere and shoot troops on the ground.

>> No.11807923

>>11807898

Ah, in that case:
They do. But they're mostly ground-support for the troops that have made planetfall.

>> No.11807952

>>11807894

>Buying a forgeworld tau fleet is not an option.

Believe it or not, it's actually cheaper than GW Tau fleet.

>were criepunc

>> No.11807988

>>11807898
They do have those. Imperium have Thunderhawks, Marauders, Thunderbolts, and even Lightnings to do that sort of stuff. Other factions have their own dedicated ground attack craft, like the Tau Tiger Shark, specifically geared to killing Titans, but any superheavy would do. The problem is that you don't seem them in regular games, only in Apocalypse.

>> No.11808033
File: 170 KB, 828x530, 1252857023858.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11808033

>>11807988
>The problem is that you don't seem them in regular games, only in Apocalypse.

And Epic.
In fact, doesn't Epic have rules for Orbital Bombardments as well? You basically pre-select a point you want the ship to shoot at, and on turn whatever that area get's flattened.

In fact you should play Epic anyway, it's probably one of GW's best games.

>> No.11808082

In ship combat if they get close enough they will send smaller ships with boarding teams trying to take out key components of the enemy's ships. I don't know if anyone uses bombers. The way they described boarding actions talks about how ships have lots of smaller guns to shot at these people.

>> No.11808110

>>11808082
In BFG, they do have bombers, but they count as Ordnance weapons. Their main advantage is that they can bypass void shields and pound capital ships up close. There are also fighters in BFG, and their only purpose is to intercept bombers or protect them from other fighters.

>> No.11808151

>>11808082
>>11808110

There's also set to be new rules for boarding actions and other things for Battlefleet Gothic in the upcoming Badab War book.

>94A wilratio

>> No.11808179

>>Whenever I read 40k fluff, there is almost NOTHING about space-battles

You're reading the wrong fluff.

Sabbat Martyr has a nice naval fight. The imperials get kerb-stomped, though.

>> No.11808192
File: 44 KB, 280x292, deal_with_it (3).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11808192

there is a reason why modern armies don't require massive numbers to win wars anymore

most of the kills and structural damage is don't by bombings, land and naval artillery strikes on specific targets, may they be garrisoned armies, factories, bases and other high tactical value targets.

and usually Cruise missiles, guided bombs and timed artillery salvos are used to deal with those targets without dealing massive damage to those locations surroundings

so far other anons have been assuming is that only exteminatus or strategical weapons able to destroy entire cities and countries are the only option in orbital bombardment, and this is understandable in WH40K universe since everything is blown out of proportion

when the US Military invaded Iraq they didn't use nukes or Moabs everywhere, tomahawks and GBUs took out major installations, cluster bombs and missiles took out mobile military targets and at last the ground forces supported by with air assets rolled in to sweep and take out remained forces and locations

a nice quote from Starship Troopers book "you don't break into a house chopping the guard god's head off"

what I think op was implying is why doesn't the Imperium use orbital tactical bombardments and strikes to soften up hard and soft targets before launching a land attack on planets the IoM deemed to be valuable to them and just go EXTERMINATUS on the rest

but again, it is the writers fault if they don't gasp how wars are actually fought not the game itself

>> No.11808206

>>11808179
> mentions one battle

Yeah, that's my point.

>> No.11808259
File: 39 KB, 469x428, trollface.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11808259

>>11808033

>someone spends a shitload of money to play Apoc
>set up Epic (Titan Legions) on the next table
>Apocfags ask what it is
>'the entire Space Wolves chapter, only 100 bucks too'
>my face


But I mostly run Eldar for Epic, even more pic related.

>> No.11808292

>>11808192
Given the scale of void combat orbital bombardment uses weapons that devastate massive areas. The Imperium still uses it but they are far from surgical tools.

As for air superiority, sure, they use that when they have it. Unfortunately they're not fighting pissant rebels all the time. Their foes often have their own rather good air force and/or solid AA capabilities.

>> No.11808320

>>11807562
No, it's the old surface-skip technique mankind first used before engineering the Navigators.

The Tau use it too.

It's very slow but it is safer than a real jump.

>> No.11808329

>>11808259
Epic was truly epic, it should be rebooted by GW

>> No.11808392

even modern technology allows ACCURATE bombardment from miles away. How come in the far future they can't do anything like that? Why can't an orbiting cruiser shoot missiles, from space, accurate enough to blow up the enemy army and keep the rest of the planet safe?

>> No.11808413

>>11808392
Because missiles are boring and for pussies, you don't get to stare your enemy in the face/sensor tower and shoot him while he bemoans his short and miserable life.

>> No.11808426

>>11808292

yeah, but who owns the air (space in this case) owns the land

it wouldn't hurt having some surgical strike weapons in some BFG vessels

>> No.11808439

>>11808192
The minimum size barrel of a 40k warship is something along the lines of skycraper, and the smallest missiles they stock are the size of 747s. There is nothing subtle or precise about naval weaponry. Also, the Imperium wants to limit damage to infrastructure, because they want to actually make use of it when the retake the planet. What's the point of retaking a Forgeworld if you decide to drop a lance on every factory on the planet producing for the enemy? It's cheaper and makes more strategic sense to send expendable Guardsment to retake priceless (and in some cases, irreplacable) facilities.

Remember, 40k IS NOTHING LIKE MODERN WARFARE. Human technology base is all over the place depending the planet, and 99% of the Imperium doesn't know how their own tech works, much less mass produce it effeciently.

The only army that would ascribe themselves to the style of fighting you're talking about is the Tau, since they can care less about static defenses and bombard you with seeker missiles all day.

>> No.11808452
File: 61 KB, 512x410, 40k Imperial Guard 01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11808452

The reason is:

Life is Cheap; Missiles are not.

>> No.11808462

>>11808439

So if the imperium just made smaller guns on their ships, then ground combat would be completely useless.

>> No.11808514

>>11808462
You're implying that the Imperium actually remembers how to do something like that.

I mean, their capital ships have railguns the size of skyscrapers, but they don't know how to miniaturize it, unlike the Tau, who have literally made it an infantry weapon. Hell, they load their goddamn 747 missiles with ROPES AND PULLEYS.

>> No.11808520
File: 79 KB, 478x310, Zanatorian_Preview_by_Proiteus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11808520

>>11808439
You'd think that, if they don't know how to make new weapons, mankind would just auto lose to those that did.

Sounds like someone should ask the Machine Cult to make some useful guns on the ships.

>> No.11808565

>>11808520
>You'd think that, if they don't know how to make new weapons, mankind would just auto lose to those that did.

That's... that's the entire fucking point of the 40k universe. The Imperium is already super outclassed by everything they're fighting. Their only advantage is their sheer size and better logistics, and even those are being stretched to their limits. Plus, they still use STCs, which give them a massive headstart against newer but rapidly advancing races like the Tau.

>> No.11808631

>>11807057

In fact they do to kill the Ork-Spores in the ground
if they don't it will only take some years and orks and grots spawn everywhere on the planet

>> No.11808693

>>11808565
man, i wish humans sucked less.

>> No.11808729
File: 154 KB, 604x598, God-Emperor.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11808729

>>11808565
You'd think the Emperor would just tell the humans how to suck less.

He knows how to suck less.

>> No.11808762

o


http://3.ly/TGgayTest


o

>> No.11808768

Orbital bombardments are not grimdark enough.

>> No.11808843
File: 251 KB, 949x1180, rocks.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11808843

Pic semi-related

>> No.11808930

>>11806769
In actuality, space battles would be be over in seconds and take place with individual ships taking a few shots at each other over millions of kilometers.

Victory would most likely be given to the ship that could react fastest and get a shot off first.

The shit you see in the vast, vast majority of sci-fi is bullshit.

>> No.11809001

>>11808930
The forever war had an interesting take on it, taking in timespace and the effects of FTL into spacebattles.

>> No.11809058

>>11809001
Absolutely. The Forever War was an exceptional sci-fi and became the inspiration for most of the great hard sci-fi that followed it.

It's a shame that reality and actual science is so much less appealing than the space battles and dogfights that are found in the majority of sci-fi today.

>> No.11809394
File: 249 KB, 693x488, 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11809394

>> No.11810613

They do bombard planets actually, and space battles do in fact occur (in almost every book I've read actually)

and also, Where's the fun in that?

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action