Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
[ERROR] No.10806314 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

All True Believers report! Heirs of Guilliman represent!

general Ultramarines discussion. Let us discuss the best chapter and the ones all others are based on.

>> No.10806344

>>10806314
10/10 would rage again.

>> No.10809019

bump

>> No.10809037

I like my ultra smurfs, you can all fuck off

>> No.10809054

>>10806314
Hate to burst your bubbles here.

Many legions came before blueberries were spawned.

>> No.10809075

I like Ultramarines becasue they are blue and because they are the bestest and because they aren't wolf wolf or McNipple codexes and because SPIRITUAL LIEGE and because calgar fist demonettes with his powerfist and because I wathced 300 and got a hardon and ultramairnes are based on spartans but Blue!

Matt Ward.

>> No.10809093

>>10809037
Well good for you. Tell me... how's it feel to take part in the cancer that is killing 40k?

>> No.10809135

two words

Dornian Heresy

>> No.10809161

Take this cup... Breath deep of its contents... Drink slowly... It is the rage of a mortal.

>> No.10809232

I really don't understand why people hate the Ultramarines so much.
Usually the reason is "they're just generic Mary Sues," but so what? I can understand not liking them for that reason, but it seems a lot of you haters actually hate them for that reason.

>> No.10809270

Ultramarines < Space Wolves

>> No.10809317

>>10809232
Probably because all the hate people have against GW for not spending as much effort on other races as they do on SM needs to be vented somehow.

>> No.10809326

I actually can't think of why I hate them. Other then spiritual liege and having 0 character or flaws.

I hate space wolves because the fans of spacewolves are retards.

>> No.10809352

>>10809232
Because they are the most prominent poster-child cannon-sue, of an entire army of cannon-sues. They are the sterling top reason as to how we got into this fucking mess in the fist place. Now 60% of the current 5th-ed codices are some variant list of loyalist marines, and we have armies that have been passed up numerous times for codex revamps just so -insert dev's favorite chapter here- gets a codex.

You're a fag. You follow a chapter of fags. They are part of a colossal money-whoring scheme, and are the cancer of 40k. Countless friends of mine have quit 40k altogether, because they got sick and tired of seeing marine chapter after marine chapter getting codex after codex, while they're stuck with redheaded stepchild armies that can't even hope for a lousy WD article for their variant army they love. 40k's gone to shit. You're only furthing it.

>> No.10809354

>>10809093
All mehreens are cancer.

>> No.10809438

All the haters seem to be hating on Ultramarines Done Wrong.

Matt Ward's fanwank codex notwithstanding, Ultramarines are amazing because they exemplify everything that Space Marines should be. They are dangerous, flexible, and good at everything. They have a strategy book that contains everything ever seen by Guilliman, and what will work best and what will work worst against each of those strategies. They are a proud Chapter - the Space Marine equivalent of the Mordian Iron Guard. Every honour and decoration is displayed, and every piece of uniform impeccably polished, but that doesn't mean that they're bad at fighting.

>> No.10809484

>>10809438
Ultramarines and their successors represent a majority of the Marines in the Imperium today for a reason. Unlike the Wolves, their seed is not so tainted as to prohibit the founding of successors. Unlike the Templars, they keep together as a coherent force, rather than joining and splitting for each new crusade. They have no great curse to overcome, as the Blood Angels and Dark Angels do. And unlike the other Chapters, they do not specialize. No matter what the Emperor desires, the Ultramarines will have someone up to the task.

>> No.10809498

Xenos unite! State your allegience to the Greater Good, the Eldar or their dark kindred, or them Orks!

>> No.10809512

>>10809438

>Ultramarines are gay because they exemplify everything that 8' tall homosexuals should be. They are queer, flexible, and good at everything. They have a book that contains everything ever seen by Guilliman, and what will work best and what will work worst. They are a proud Chapter - the Space Marine equivalent of the Village People. Every marine's honour is displayed for the chapter master.

>> No.10809523

>>10809498

*Chitterchitterchitter*

SKREE! *flails talons*

>> No.10809527

>Ultramarine hatin'

You mad because we stylin' on you.

>> No.10809540

>>10809512
This picture is exactly why Space Wolves are inferior.

>> No.10809550

>>10809540
That's an ultramarine, fucking a space wolf in the ass!

>> No.10809568

>>10809438
>>10809484
HAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAAHAA. I see you trollin'.
You know, the only reason any of that might possibly be true is because Alpharius is running the show on Ultramar.

>> No.10809644

Ha! Spayss mureens is noffingk but pansies. Evree wun noz green iz bezt!

>> No.10809658

>>10809568
The only one to present a reasoned argument is the troll?

Explain why the Ultramarines are not awesome and we'll have a discussion. Otherwise stfu and gtfo. I'm not saying the other Chapters aren't awesome. I'm an Iron Hands man myself. But I can understand why fans of the Smurfs would like them without trolling.

>> No.10809674

>>10809540
>>10809550
As if an Ultramarine could rape a Space Wolf... especially since Space Wolves are tougher and more numerous than Ultramarines.

>> No.10809701

Game wise, the Ultramarines aren't a half a bad of an army.

Fluff wise, they're the mary sues and bornign smurfs we all hate.

>> No.10809750

>>10809523
Sorry, or the Hivemind!

>> No.10809754

>>10809644

I really fucking hate it when people try to do Ork speak and then completely fucking butcher it.

>> No.10809755

>>10809701
> I have no new or interesting input, and will continue to trumpet my useless opinions as loud as 4chan will allow.

>> No.10809762

>>10809658
Simple. They're not awesome, because the defy what would defines a hero. They never suffer wounds (or defeat). They are never wrong. They have no failings or weakness. They're not awesome, because they're over the top and extremely difficult to relate to because of that. They're like Wesley Crusher, except an entire army of them. Complete with smug face and writer's (developer's) plot armor and fluff-rigging. Worse yet is how Matt (douche-bag) Ward wrote their codex in such a way that it slanders and bashes every other army in the game. He basically wrote the codex as a way to insist that every other army is shit, eats shit, and will never be one of the 'cool kids'.

>> No.10809775

>>10806313

sTOp dDosiNG AND_copYinG_Www.AnomNTmAlk.SE rEMOVe_alL_M_In tHAT Url_FOol
axjazuy u gvqrpm h ysja cr nzkgsvgvty ng

>> No.10809804

Alright, here's an argument for you:

The Ultramarines got played by Horus, so they'd be the hell out of the way while Horus made his push for the throne.

The Ultramarines, whose tactics consistently failed to work against the Alpha Legion, until they abandoned those tactics and tried something different, then told the chapters who fought and died defending Terra and the Imperium "Okay guys, here's our failed book of tactics and organization... and you're going to follow it, our way or the highway."

The reason there are so many successor chapters to the Ultramarines is because the Ultramarines got played, and played hard... so when the slaughter was done, they still had lots of battle brothers. So what did Guilliman do? Well, he repainted and rechristened the majority of his force, told everyone that they weren't really under his command in spite of the fact that any of the successor chapters would pretty much be at his beck and call if he ever bothered to call for it...

Essentially, Guilliman played the politics of the thing. He weakened the remaining loyalist chapters, while appearing to weaken his own chapter, but not really.

And everyone just kind of overlooks this because of Matt Ward's fanwank.

>> No.10809907

> Simple. They're not awesome, because the defy what would defines a hero. They never suffer wounds (or defeat).

This is categorically untrue.

> They are never wrong.

Unless you ask over half the Loyalist legions

> They have no failings or weakness.

Tell that to the Alpha Legion, which tore them a new one, or the Tyranids, who actually did.

> They're not awesome, because they're over the top and extremely difficult to relate to because of that.

EVERY 40k army is over-the-top and hard to relate to. Imperial Guard are a bunch of scared sissies with a life expectancy of fifteen hours, yet they're lead by cyborgs, tactical geniuses, and raving lunatics with no concept of strategy. Can YOU relate to one face among millions sent to die in a canyon so that the mountain formed of your corpses can build a bridge across? Can you relate to a perfectionist space elf ten thousand years old, whose sole pursuit in life is making killing into an art form, who can see the weave of the future? Can you relate to a mindless, bloodthirsty killing machine who likes nothing more than to bury his axe into the skull of his foe and bathe in that foe's blood?

more incoming

>> No.10809928

>>10809804
For pity's sakes, The Imperial Fists HELD Terra in spite of everything that Horus threw at it, and the White Scars and Salamanders were just as awesome during the Heresy.

Shit, even Russ went and took down an entire traitor legion's homeworld 'cause the Emperor told him to... And when the Thousand Sons escaped into the warp, Russ wasn't finished. Oh hell no. He ordered the entire 13th Company to go in after 'em and hunt 'em down IN THE WARP. And they're STILL AT IT to this very day.

And don't even get me started on the Legion of the Damned or the Lamenters. The Lamenters and the Salamanders? They actually CARE about the people they're supposed to protect. Hoooooooooly shit, I know it's a novel concept, but damn...

The Dark Angels? They came home to find their homeworld taken over by chaos. Lion El'Jonson comes back, looking to refit and pick up some reinforcements, and he winds up kicking the ass of his all-time best friend. Not only that, they wind up DESTROYING their own world to cleanse the taint.

>> No.10809938

sTOp ddOsInG_AnD cOPyINg_wwW.AnomNTMaLk.se_REMoVE_All M_iN_THat url_Fool
x dsapc u yubjiboizpvtxv ththfhypw

>> No.10809952

A CHALLENGER APPEARS!!!

>> No.10809966

>>10809907
> They're like Wesley Crusher, except an entire army of them. Complete with smug face and writer's (developer's) plot armor and fluff-rigging. Worse yet is how Matt (douche-bag) Ward wrote their codex in such a way that it slanders and bashes every other army in the game. He basically wrote the codex as a way to insist that every other army is shit, eats shit, and will never be one of the 'cool kids'.

You'll notice that I specified right at the start of my posts that I'm disregarding Matt Fapfic Ward and his latest bullshit codex. I'm pissed as Hell that Smurfs got a dozen pages of fic and a whole page describing their badges and medals - you could just as easily put that shit on the website and dedicate more space to giving the other Founding Legions some love. I'm pissed as Hell that Smurfs got half a dozen special characters (including one whose whole schtick is being more bionic than man) and Iron Hands got two sentences and a terrible piece of fluff. But that doesn't make the Ultramarines bad. It makes Ward bad.

>>10809804
So far, the Alpha Legion are the ONLY ones to reliably defeat the Codex Astartes. Most of the time, when the Smurfs are defeated it's due to one of the Marines' other flaws - hubris, small numbers, etc. - or because the enemy's commander is just better. It happens. And if you think that "How to Beat the Alpha Legion" didn't get tacked on to the Codex, you're an idiot.

>> No.10809972

Everyone knows Dorn would have beat Guillman into the ground with one hand!

>> No.10809981

>>10809972

Or should I say Fist? Imperial Fist?

>> No.10809994

>>10809928
>The Dark Angels? They came home to find their homeworld taken over by chaos. Lion El'Jonson comes back, looking to refit and pick up some reinforcements, and he winds up kicking the ass of his all-time best friend. Not only that, they wind up DESTROYING their own world to cleanse the taint.

You forgot the part about where they failed, were sent into the warp, and are now out to redeem themselves while the chaos-tainted imposters try to hunt them all down and silence them.

>> No.10810011

>>10809928
> Ultramarines don't care about the people they preside over
> this explains why the Ultramarines are often chastised for caring too much about their empire and not enough about SHOOTAN HARATIKS
You've leveled the wrong criticism at Ultras. Iron Hands are the ones who kill their own subjects and doesn't care of anything

>> No.10810044

>>10809972
*cough* Dornian Heresy *cough*

Still, even before Matt Ward fanwanked all over the Ultramarines, it was pretty bad. Ultramarines had the best of everything, a peaceful little empire all their own, new, anti-'Nid ammunition, the Imperium's best Librarian, so on and so forth. They were a Mary Sue chapter before Matt Ward got his hands on 'em.

>> No.10810048

>>10809966
>
You'll notice that I specified right at the start of my posts that I'm disregarding Matt Fapfic Ward and his latest bullshit codex. I'm pissed as Hell that Smurfs got a dozen pages of fic and a whole page describing their badges and medals - you could just as easily put that shit on the website and dedicate more space to giving the other Founding Legions some love. I'm pissed as Hell that Smurfs got half a dozen special characters (including one whose whole schtick is being more bionic than man) and Iron Hands got two sentences and a terrible piece of fluff. But that doesn't make the Ultramarines bad. It makes Ward bad.

No... it makes YOU bad for supporting the poster-child army and furthing the cancer that is killing 40k. For every Ultrasmurf fanboy like yourself who rides the GW dev-favorite bus, another army gets delayed further for (yet another needless) loyalist chapter codex, and more of my friends dump ship on a shitty dev-biased game to go to Warmachine or Flames of War.

>> No.10810065

>>10810011
>You've leveled the wrong criticism at Ultras. Iron Hands are the ones who kill their own subjects and doesn't care of anything

Lolwhat!?

More like:

>I'm dumb, and I'm going to slander a more noble chapter to defend my Matt Ward Sue-Marines!

>> No.10810117

>>10810048
So... how 'bout them Dark Eldar? Has anyone ever even seen them on a tabletop recently?

Also, as a longtime player myself, where the hell were all these Space Wolves fans before the new codex came out? We had a 10 year old codex, too, and we dealt with it, dammit.

So, you see, I can sympathize... Dark Eldar and the Inquisition (Daemonhunters and Witchhunters) should've been the next update.

>> No.10810150

>>10810044
But before Ward you had the option to customize your Chapter with the Traits system. Don't own any Speeders? Take the Trait that restricts your ability to take Speeders in exchange for more of other things. Don't like Librarians? Take the Trait that says "fuck librarians." Back when there was just a Wargear Section and you could outfit your mans however the fuck you wanted, it was easy to make a cool, unique Chapter and characters for it. Now that Special Characters are everything, you're forced to take those if you want to have anything other than the half-dozen options they give you in the bulleted list.

>> No.10810201

Play DIY marines.

No fluff no name.

>> No.10810226

>>10810150
Mmmmm, that's true. Sorry, that didn't affect me much as a Wolves player, because I've always been bound by my 'dex... Under the old 'dex, I couldn't even take Land Raider Crusaders until I downloaded the updated FAQ off the GW website. With the new 'dex, I've lost the ability to take our Leman Russ variant, but I still can't take some of the "standard" gear like that sweet new Techmarine cannon.

>> No.10810296

>> No.10810338

>>10810065
As I said, I love Iron Hands. I play a homebrew IH successor. But Iron Hands are known to be harsh and uncompromising. They are as merciless as the iron that makes their bodies. Ultramarines, on the other hand, spend a LOT of time making sure that their home front is secure.

>> No.10810408

>>10810296
nigga whuuuuuut

>> No.10810428

>>10810408
Yes, bask in its glory!

>> No.10810430

>>10809754
>butcherin' orky speek

I laffed so 'ard at diz.

>> No.10810460

>>10810338
The Iron Hands are the Marines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. That's all there is to that.

>> No.10810463

>>10810428
Is this art from the WH50k homebrew /tg/ did a while ago?

>> No.10810477

>>10810463
They still look gay. There is no saving marines.

>> No.10810478

>>10810408
It's a picture from the Dornian Heresy:
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/heresy/thedornianheresy.pdf

Essentially, it's an alternate version of the Horus Heresy where Chaos doesn't get to turn Horus, but it manages to turn Dorn instead. Shit hits the fan, a lot of the current Loyalists become traitors, and current traitors wind up as Loyalists instead. Meanwhile, the Ultramarines are in the middle of it all, and they decide not to fight for either side. They pretty much give BOTH Chaos and the Imperium the finger and carve out Ultima Segmentum into Ultra Segmentum instead. Which, frankly, is kinda badass.

>> No.10810486

>>10810338

FUCK YEAH BRO-BIONIC-FIST.

Iron Hands successors up in this bitch.

>> No.10810511

>>10810478
Oh yeah, and Abbadon winds up leading the Black Templars, and starts crusading for the powers of good.

>> No.10810512

>>10810478

*yawn*...

Big deal! Marines are still all the same, and fighting against them is still a boring and dull process. Here's me, saying 'Your cool fan-made alternate universe is still marine wankery and stupid'.

>> No.10810521

>>10810486
>>10810338

Steel Revenants here. Initiating brofist protocol for fellow Iron Hands successors.

>> No.10810542

>> No.10810579

>>10810460
It still sucks that Iron Hands bits are so hard to come by cheaply.

>> No.10810618

"Best Chapter". Do you even actually play?

>> No.10810661

>>10810579
Buy a pack of plastic Crons. Use robot limbs to replace Space Marine limbs.

BAM, bionics!

>> No.10810680

>>10810661
But... but... that's Tech heresy!

>> No.10810783

>>10810430

Believe it or not, Ork speak is a dialect, not just "Fuck up the text as much as possible". So yes, it is possible to butcher Ork speak.

>> No.10810827

>>10810542
Into the fires of battle FTW

>> No.10810833

>>10810117
i've been a space wolf fan since i got into 40k when i was just a little shit ruining models with bad paint jobs and all the other stupid things kids do.

>> No.10810887

>> No.10810911

It's a shame that my favorite color is blue

>> No.10810990

>>10810911
I know, right? Well, then again, you could be a Son of Odin...

>> No.10811017

>>10810887
something looks wrong about those Ultras.......

>> No.10811018

Ultras are fine IMO, their dex is a good basis for home made chapters and the fluff is about the ULTRAMARINES not any of the other chapters. Because your chapter isn't mentioned much in another chapters codex doesn't give you an excuse to bitch. Blood Angels dex doesn't go on about how cool DA are. Get the hell over the fluff it was good for the Ultramarines and you can look up your chapters background on the internet. Black Templars and Fist successors kick ass btw.

>> No.10811038

>>10810521

Iron Templars are mine. that looks a lot like the symbol for my Third Company and its' strike cruiser (the Fist of Mars) - the standard "* Fists" fist inside a cog.

(embarassingly, I haven't really settled on a chapter symbol)

>> No.10811047

METAL BOXES

>> No.10811063

>>10810887

wait, the Dornian Heresy thing got that high-quality of artwork? sheeeeeeeit.

>> No.10811068

>>10811017
That's because they're from that Dornian Heresy PDF again.

>> No.10811087

>>10811068
Also, more Sons of Odin.

>> No.10811090

>green bases
>Green Bases
>GREEN BASES

>> No.10811100

>>10811090
That way you can have a Warhammer and 40k army and one table that fits both of them!

>> No.10811108

>>10811090
In the grim darkness of the far future there are only brightly-colored grassy fields.

>> No.10811154

>>10810887
Oh goddamn. That armor looks far better then the ones in game. That's nice shit right there

>> No.10811166

>>10811090
Ultramarines love golf.

>> No.10811183

>>10809966
Tyranids say hi.
Then proceed to devour the entire Ultramarines 1st company, plus more
Swarmlord trumped Mutinous Cowgirl's every tactic within minutes of him formulating them.
Swarmlord is the greatest tactical genius of the 40k universe.Everyone aspires to be a Hive Tyrant and everyone accepts the Swarmlord as their spiritual liege.

The reason Ultrasmurfs have so many special characters is because they are BORING.
They don't have any genetic flaws, nipples or wolf of the wolf wolf. They did a whole lot of nothing during the Horus Heresy (come on, they allegedly were the most numerous chapter with the 'greatest' tactical mind on their side, yet they could not spare any reinforcements to assist defending Terra?).
Everything Ultramarines can do on the tabletop, every other army can do so much better. In fact, all the new SM variant codices seem to be made as replacements for the previous SM codex.
For Instance, Space Wolves are cheaper SMs with more special rules and equipment, and replace Thunderfire Cannons for 2 wound rending biker equivalents.
Blood Angels are Space Marines with stupidly fast Rhino-based vehicles, deepstriking Land Raiders and Stormravens.

Everyone with a Space Marine army is now playing 'counts as' Blood Angels, just like they did with Space Wolves before them.
So every Ultramarine is inevitably going to play 'counts as' of another chapter

>> No.10811198

>>10811018
it would of been ok if Ward's abortion of a codex was called the Codex Ultramarines, instead it is called the Codex Space Marines which implies it is not just meant to be about sucking the dicks of 40k's big blue mary sue's

>> No.10811219

>>10811166
This seems sensible. I suggest we make it /tg/ canon... after all, I'll bet Calgar's got a GREAT golf clap with those matched powerfists of his.

>> No.10811277

>>10811068

I like the integration of Tau technology, since my chapter are totally convinced the Tau found some lost STCs and all their stuff is their attempt at recreating sweet Dark Age of Technology gear.

I wish that were official, so I could have a squad of "Mark 16" armored guys.

>> No.10811320

>>10811198
... And then Robin Cruddace writes the fluff in Codex: Tyranids to put Ward back in his place

>> No.10811323

>>10811219
Guilliman vs an Avatar of Khaine.
In golf.
Note, the Avatar will try to use HERETICAL XENO TRICKERY like using a flaming golfclub, knocking the ball into a webway gate and the other side would be the hole, and replacing his 9 iron with a puting club.
But even then, glorious Guilliman stands gloriously above the avatar because he had the power of the EMPEROR in his swings

>> No.10811335

>>10811038.

My colour scheme is like this.

The Chapter symbol is just a fusion of the Iron Hands logo and the AdMech logo.

I also have an extensive database of half-finished fluff and still-to-be-playtested units.

>> No.10811355

>>10811323
Orks would just load a shit ton of golf balls in an automatic gun, like a grotzooka, and then fire madly in the direction of the green and anything that looked at 'em funny.

>> No.10811414

>>10811018
Because Codex: Blood Angels is specifically about the BLOOD ANGELS.
Codex: Space Marines is meant to be about SPACE MARINES in general, not the Ultracocksuck that Ward turned it into.
Other chapters are MEANT to be referenced in a codex that is about them. It would be the equivalent of Flesh Tearers not being referenced in the Blood Angels codex

>> No.10811521

>>10811355
The Tau have super advanced golf clubs, with like jet boosters on them and aiming technology
Chaos' players depends on the player's god. Tzeentch players are the most successful with clever planning and using the wind and the basic field design for their clubs. Nurgles put nothing but THE POWER OF FAMILY LOVE in their clubs, so they don't do well often. Slaaneshs just depend on bribing the judges with sex and blackmail. Khornes just fucking hit the ball in the direction of the hole and as hard as they can.
Tyranids are the field obstacles. Be careful or they'll eat your balls and probably you too.
Dark Eldar work like the Eldar, but also threaten the judges with death to let them win. They do pretty well.
Necrons just kinda... win. I think they like stop time or something and walk the ball into the hole.
The Guard play like actually play fairly. This is why they lose often.

>> No.10811565

>>10811521
I like how the 'nids are the course obstacles.

>> No.10811586

>>10811565
But if you knock your ball into a Hive Tyrant or a Carnifex, do you have to play through?

>> No.10811642

>>10811335

>I also have an extensive database of half-finished fluff and still-to-be-playtested units.

same here. I've got all of the captains as both special characters and their "strictly codex" versions, plus a bunch of kooky ideas the techmarines came up with. I gave the Master of the Forge an entire company that are basically a combination of the AdMech and Deathwatch. (I'm also considering giving him a custom Razorback that has a Conversion Beamer mounted on it, so he can have both that and a servo-harness. He just wouldn't be able to fire the Beamer unless he was embarked on his ride.)

>> No.10811656

>>10811586
That or be prepared to fight for it.

Also.
You know in golf courses they have the pools of water that the balls can fall in?
Well those are just big holes filled with rippers

>> No.10811909

>>10811166

Although Guilliman is best known for his work on the Codex Astartes, few realize many of it's principles are derived on a much earlier work, the Codex Putt-artes, a treatise of tactics for Old Terran sport of "golf", a popular past-time on Macragge.

The Putt-artes features many pages that would eventually make it into Guilliman's later works - deployment, strategic thinking, and an intuitive grasp of the basics of ballistics.

>> No.10812047

>>10811642
> Razorback with Conversion Beamer
Holy shit, that's an awesome idea. Sounds kinda familiar. I think I might have read something about that on a previous /tg/ thread a while back.

>> No.10812149

>>10811909
I think I love you, Anon.

>> No.10812204

The golf tournament of macragge:
One of the few times the tyranids actually played in a tournament of golf.
Both sides were equally matched, each getting the same scores as the other, leaving the game in a constant stalemate. But this was the tyranids plan you see, as they would EAT the Ultramarines balls after every hole. They would keep doing this until they Ultras would run out of balls and would be forced to quit. This went on until the marines were down to one Ball. But this very ball landed a whole in one, and the tyranids could not, leaving the victory in the Ultra's hands. But at the cost of every single golf ball. Truly, a terrible day of golf for the UltraMarines

>> No.10812546

>>10812204
Never have golf balls seemed so tragic.

>> No.10812678

>>10811909

Even today, putting is on the daily regimen for most Ultramarines. Fine motor control is difficult even in the best of times in Mark VII power armour, and the sport teaches patience, care, and finesse - all attributes a successful Ultramarine requires.

It is said even Calgar himself has a small private plot nestled inside Castle Ultramar, the various courses accessible only by landspeeder, and caddy duty to the spiritual liege of all Space Marines is considered the greatest of honours to be bestowed upon an Ultramarine veteran.

>> No.10812908

>>10810460
Wait, what?
When did this happen?
Does this mean that there are Two Ad Mech chapters now?

>> No.10812946

>>10811018
But it's not the ultramarine codex.
It's the Space Marine Codex.
Really, if they made the dex more modular, they could actually focus on putting out other codexes

>> No.10812997

>>10812908

the Iron Hands have always been close with the AdMech. what's the other one?

>> No.10813028

>>10812997
*ahem!*

>> No.10813047

>>10813028
Mentors are the Chapter of Fancy Shit.

The AdMech are the Chapter of A Thousand Techmarines.

>> No.10813085

>>10813047
Fancy shit From the Adeptus Mechanius!

>> No.10813169

>>10813085
Who are Mentors a successor of?

>> No.10813251

>Implying AdMech have direct hands in Marines
>My Face

Iron Hands are total bros, but they're still left and right hands. The closest they come are Techmarines, and while they've technically dual-titles, you've got to be shitting me if you think they have actual equal standing in the AdMech.

The other main MACHINES FUCK YES Chapter are Salamanders, I want to say. They're the best forgers.

>> No.10813257

>>10813169
To the best of my knowledge, we're not. We were spawned to replace the previous 888th chapter, who were lost due to gene seed tainting. We came from a large bank of geneseeds on terra

>> No.10813310

>>10813251

yeah. Salamanders and Iron Hands are the techies. although I'd say the Salamanders would be better at making power weapons and armor, while the Iron Hands would do guns and tanks and teleporter doohickeys.

>> No.10813392

>>10813310
Iron Hands ritually cut off one of their hands- left?- and go on to replace their flesh with metal. They're as close to ADMECH MARINES as you're ever going to get without anyone shitting themselves in rage/terror.

They've the best implants and 'complex' machinery, I'd wager.

Salamanders are- this is memory, don't quote me- the best forgers and makers; I'd give them all the highest quality of whatever they're using, even if said equipment isn't the (metaphorical) BLEEDING EDGE of Martian Technology.

>> No.10813416

>>10813251
> implying Iron Hands and AdMech don't have very close ties - far closer than most other Chapters.

It's in the fluff, champ. Look it up.

>> No.10813501

>>10813416
I'm not denying it. I'm just saying that they're far from one entity. Everyone's pretty clear on the whole 'don't consolidate power too much, remember what happened last time?' thing, from both sides.

>> No.10813559

>>10813501
It's not that they're an AdMech Chapter the way that Grey Knights are an Ordo Malleus Chapter. It's just that AdMech and Space Marines are the awesomest of humankind's organizations, and people who exemplify the awesomeness of both those organizations are exponentially greater.

>> No.10813645

>>10813559
I'm just wondering how they get along, even on a business level. AdMech get irritatingly unpersonable and have shitty Fel at the top tiers. They're basically all either asspies or robots, and universally kinda dickish. Marines aren't really human anymore, and they're just- strange and their behavior is really tied to their Chapter, and I don't have a lot on the Iron Hands beyond 'hardcore, also love machines (possibly carnally)'.

Then there's the whole religion thing. Although, I would like to see that. A civil religious debate between some crazy tricked-out Techpriest and a hulking badass Marine.

>> No.10813839

>>10813645
Mechanically-inclined Chapters tend to place the Omnissiah at nearly the same level as the Emperor, if not viewing them as one and the same. Gets them in trouble with the Ecclesiarchy, but what are those boyfuckers and -4str girl scouts gonna do?

>> No.10813897

>>10813839
>Gets them in trouble with the Ecclesiarchy, but what are those boyfuckers and -4str girl scouts gonna do?

And this is why I love playing AdMech and Marines. Fuck the Ecclesiarchy.

>> No.10813935

Initiate reporting in, just got into 40k thanks to the steam sale. My buddy runs mini's but I've no clue where I should start. Do you fa/tg/uys have any advice to help this lowly initiate serve the Emperor?

>> No.10814080

>>10813935
Marines are a good, relatively inexpensive army to get started with. Despite the baby-whiners who bawww about frequent Marine codex updates, most of the current Marine armies are actually pretty solid and well-balanced. Look on EBay for new models, because they are cheap and stuff.

>> No.10814084

>>10813935
Marines?

Assault on Black Reach; trade away the Orks for MOAR MARINES, pick up a box of heavy weapons guys or just a normal pack, get some Rhinoes/Drop-pods/whatever, and pick up some paint. Of course, pre-pick out what chapter you want to do.

Just use Krylon Primer; just as good and half the price. Primer doesn't have to be black, I use grey (unfortunately it is the EXACT SHADE OF GREY as the plastic ffffff) Liquid superglue is shit, get either gel or the kind with a brush applicator.

Get a pair of good snips from the Home Depot or Radio Shack or whatever (maybe some files for your mold lines), a safe place to spray on, and a bunch of brushes. Two paint pots! TWO- one for metallic and one for nonmetallic. Look into a real artist paint widgey thing. The kind with little wells for paint. THIN YOUR PAINTS; you want milk consistency (a hair thicker than water).

Go easy with posing and basing as you start out- you're a babby, don't try to run a metaphorical marathon.

Post your list or ask for a basic list, based on what marines you want to try.

I think that's most of it.

>> No.10814136

>>10814084
also Paintvagrant is a pretty cool guy, eh sells shitton of basing shit (and new shit, huh) and doesn't afraid of anything.

http://www.paintvagrant.com/

I've never bought from him, but other people I know have and they're happy with his shit.

>> No.10814260

The Ultramarines have some of the most boring 1st founding histories for any Astartes Chapter in the Imperial history.

Circa M29: The Unification Wars. The Emperor of Mankind unites Terra, and sets off to conquer the stars in a series of violent and bloody battles. The Ultramarines’ Primarch, Roboute Guilliman (Nicknamed Rowboat Girlyman for his utter douchebaggery during the Heresy), is conveniently located on the other side of the galaxy when this occurs.

>> No.10814284

012.M31-014.M31: The Horus Heresy. Almost half of all Space Marine legions betray the Emperor and turn to Chaos. The traitors lay siege to Holy Terra, and most of the Space marine legions suffer major losses. The Blood Angels, Imperial Fists, and White scars are forced to make a stand on Terra while the Dark Angels lose their homeworld to renegade elements within their home planet, the Salamanders, Iron Hands, and Raven Guard are nearly destroyed, and the Emperor is crippled while battling Horus. The Ultramarines are conveniently located on the other side of the galaxy when this occurs. After the Heresy, Rowboat Girlyman created the Codex Astartes as we know it today, including the separation of the 10,000 strong legions into 1,000 strong chapters. Note that the Ultramarines didn't participate in the defense of Terra, didn't sustain crippling damage to their Chapter's manpower, and note that, best of all, when they arrived they were too fething late. The war was already won, yet their primarch still was the first to create the new rules.

>> No.10814285

>>10814080
>>10814084
>>10814136

Thanks for the tips brothers, looking forward to it all. I'm pretty sure my buddies will be happier too, considering before all this the farthest I got was playing a Space Marine in a d20 future campaign a friend set up.

>> No.10814302

546.M32: 'The Beheading': The High Lords of Terra are all slain on the orders of Drakan Vangorich, Grand Master of the Officio Assassinorum. The rogue Master of Assassins is tracked down and slain by a Space Marine strikeforce drawn from the Imperial Fists, Halo Brethren and Sable Swords. Only a single Space Marine survives the campaign. The Ultramarines are conveniently located on the other side of the galaxy when this occurs.

843.M35: Distress call from Grendel's World investigated. Planet discovered to have been attacked and all inhabitants slain by terror tactics of the Night Lords. The Ultramarines are conveniently located on the other side of the galaxy when this occurs.

>> No.10814322

Early M36: The Age of Apostasy and the Reign of Blood begin. Warp storms increase dramatically and Chaos and Ork attacks multiply. The Imperium falls into turmoil. An empowered Ecclesiarchy becomes more tyrannical. High Lord Goge Vandire becomes the most powerful member of the Senate of the High Lords of Terra, and manipulates a small sect, the Daughters of the Emperor(AKA: today the Sisters of Battle), into becoming his personal bodyguards, the Brides of the Emperor. Vandire rules largely unopposed and more and more bloody and tyrannical. Zhoros (Fire Hawks' world) thermal bombed. The Ultramarines are conveniently located on the other side of the galaxy when this occurs.

>> No.10814323

>>10814084

seconding the Krylon recommendation. "indoor/outdoor" in "flat black" is what I use. 1 can at $5 or $6 gets you about as much paint as two cans of GW primer.

>> No.10814339

266.M36: Sebastian Thor is born on Dimmamar. He eventually becomes a threat to Vandire, who sends the Frateris Templar fleet to destroy Dimmamar. The fleet is completely destroyed by a warp storm, still existing today, named the Storm of the Emperor's Wrath in the Clax system. Vandire's armies are finally defeated by combined forces of the Tech Guard and several chapters of Space Marines, organized under the banner of the Confederation of Light, led by Thor. Vandire is executed by Alicia Dominica, the leader of his own bodyguards, who reclaim their old name Daughters of the Emperor in a conspiracy involving the Adeptus Custodes and the Emperor himself. The Ultramarines are conveniently located on the other side of the galaxy when this occurs.

>> No.10814355

723.M36: The 5th Black Crusade begins. Doombreed, a prince of Khorne declares war on the Adeptus Astartes. The Warhawks and the Venerators are lost. The Ultramarines are conveniently located on the other side of the galaxy when this occurs.

995.M40-000.M41 The Macharian Crusades. Lord Solar Macharius sets out to reconquer the Segmentum Pacificus for the Imperium. The Ultramarines are conveniently located on the other side of the galaxy when this occurs.

444.M41: First War for Armageddon. Chaos incursion led by Angron and World Eaters beaten back by Space Wolves and Grey Knights but only at a terrible cost. Only about a dozen of the grey knights survive the battle with Angron. The local planetary militia and the other citizens are mind-wiped, sterilized and put into work camps, to slave away for the rest of their short, miserable lives much to the horror of Logan Grimnar. The Ultramarines are conveniently located on the other side of the galaxy when this occurs.

>> No.10814368

742.M41 Damocles Crusade is launched against the Tau Empire due to the Imperium's ever growing Xenophobia, a small, strategically insignificant piece of nothingness, inhabited by weak fish people with minimal Faster-Than-Light Technology. The Ultramarines are thoroughly defeated along with the rest of the Imperial forces.

745.M41: First Tyrannic War. Hive Fleet Behemoth attacks the Ultramarines' homeworld, Macragge. Most of the chapter is eaten by Nids and lost their entire 1st company, the Chapter's company of hardened veterans and Terminators. The second fight they get and they still blew it, lulz.

901-912.M41 Badab War. The Astral Claws, Lamenters, Executioners, and Mantis Warriors chapters rebel against the Imperium, and are defeated by loyalist chapters. The Ultramarines are conveniently located on the other side of the galaxy when this occurs.

941-942.M41: Second War for Armageddon. The Ultramarines bump into an Ork Waaagh! while running away from the Tyranids. They are saved by the timely intervention of Commissar Yarrick and the Blood Angels.

>> No.10814380

988.M41: The battle of Rynn's World begins. A large ork army, led by the Warboss Snagrod attacks the Crimson Fists and their homeworld. During the battle, a stray missile strikes the Fortress-Monastery of the crimson fists, killing most of the Marines. The survivors are wounded severely and are forced to rebuild their chapter. The Ultramarines are conveniently located on the other side of the galaxy when this occurs.

757998.M41: The Third War for Armageddon begins. Having learned from past mistakes, Imperial Commanders commit a ridiculous amount of forces to hold the world. It drags on for months in a bloody stalemate, and soon Ghazghkull grows bored and leaves his generals to finish the fight while he goes looking for other worlds to conquer. Commissar Yarrick joins a Black Templars Crusade and gives chase. The Ultramarines are conveniently located on the other side of the galaxy when this occurs.

>> No.10814406

5999.M41: Warmaster Abaddon launches the 13th Black Crusade. The armies of Chaos Undivided lay siege primarily to Cadia but attack many of the surrounding worlds as well. Imperial Forces launch a massive counterattack, and eventually push back the tides of Chaos, but only just barely, and at great cost. The Space Wolves' 13th Company are amongst the forces seen fighting against the forces of chaos. The Ultramarines are conveniently located on the other side of the galaxy when this occurs.

As an additional note of interest, there stands reasonable evidence that the Ultramarines are partially responsible for unleashing the Nightbringer on the galaxy in the current age. On the planet Pavonis, it was brought to the attention of Uriel Ventris, of the 4th company of the Ultramarines, that a group of revolutionaries were digging their way straight to the Nightbringer's sarcophagus while the Dark Eldar rounded up the keys to unlock the thing. Uriel was given a choice: he could either exterminatus the planet, burying the Nightbringer, revolutionaries, and Dark Eldar all at once in a single fell swoop, or he could boost his own ego by making a balls-first attack on the excavation site with nothing but chain swords and bolters. Unfortunately for the entire galaxy, Uriel chose the latter of these options, lost the fight, and let the Nightbringer get free.

>> No.10814408

>>10814323
I use the exact same thing, but the grey color (for some reason, every store in a reasonable radius was out of black. The fuck).

It works out perfect for me.

Also get FOUNDATION colors if you get Citadel brand. It's fucking magical.

>> No.10814474

>>10811090
question: whats an easy way to do sand for bases?

>> No.10814504

>>10813645

my Mary Sue chapter are fluffed as having Iron Hands geneseed and close ties to the AdMech, so I've thought about that a lot. I figure the Adeptus Mechanicus is probably as varied as the Inquisition as far as Radical/Puritan goes. They may be more machine than man, but they are still human at the core, after all.

A Chaplain from my chapter would probably tell the Ecclesiarchy, if asked the "is the Emperor the Omnissiah?" question that everyone knows that the holy form of the human body is the greatest machine that ever came about naturally, and that the Emperor improved it by creating the Astartes. The Emperor improved upon perfection. Therefore, the Emperor is the greatest engineer ever.

Also, the highest form of worship to the Machine God/Omnissiah is to maintain or repair equipment. Fixing a problem in an engine or stripping and cleaning a boltgun shows more devotion than lighting incense and reciting litanies. Not that there's anything wrong with incense. It would be like the difference between making the sign of the Aquila and going to an Imperial Chapel.

>> No.10814524

>>10814474
PVA glue on base. Dip in sand set up in a dish like for margaritas. wriggle a bit. Take out, tap off excess.

Wait to dry. Then paint the sand. It seems illogical, but painting the sand will make it look better.

>> No.10814527

>>10814474
Get RL sand. Put layer of Elmer's Glue on bases. Sprinkle sand on bases. Boom, sandy desert/beach.

http://www.astronomican.com/showthread.php?8704-Space-Marine-Cost-Effective-Force-%28designed-for-pe
ople-starting-Space-Marines%29

>> No.10814542

>>10814408

yeah, foundations are awesome. the washes are pretty fucking magical too. especially Devlan Mud and Badab Black.

I'm doing some Bloodletters up right now, and the swords are just light drybrushes of Blood Red and Blazing Orange with a layer of Badab Black, and a couple layers of Devlan Mud. Shit's looking so cash. I'm probably going to thin down some Blazing Orange as a final wash.

>> No.10814567

>>10814474
1. Get some sand and some PVA / Elmer's glue.
2. Brush glue liberally across base.
3. Dip base in sand or sprinkle sand across base.
4. PROFIT!

>> No.10814591

>>10814567
>>10814527
>>10814524
Thanks, I had thought of doing that but I assumed it'd be something more complex

>> No.10814593

>>10814504
>I figure the Adeptus Mechanicus is probably as varied as the Inquisition as far as Radical/Puritan goes
>My face

They can't even fucking decide if the Omnissiah's the Emperor, if he's not, or if this is all a massive sham to cover their own asses from the Imperium curbstomping them. Of COURSE they're as factional as the /Imperium/, not just the Inquisition.

>>10814542
Devlan Mud is truly a sign that the God Emperor is on Earth and loves us so.

>> No.10814671

>>10814593

eh. it's late at night. what may seem like a thought is hard to distinguish from obvious point is obvious.

head down, thin paints. conscience off, cock on. wait what.

>> No.10814694

>>10814671
As long as the cock is not on for the marines themselves.

That might be heretical.

>> No.10814740

>>10814593
>Imperium curbstomping the admech
>laughingharleyquinn.png

>> No.10814759

if that one chick in Fulgrim had Devlan Mud, she wouldn't have had to have sex with dudes and kill them when they 'gasmed to use their blood as paint.

>> No.10814787

>>10814740
Imperium has numbers. And the food. And their own navy.

It'd be horrible and bloody and Khorne would rub quite a few out at the show, but in the end, the lack of logistics/numbers would do AdMech in. And then the lack of technology and dedicated production places end the Imperium in one swoop.

They really do need each other to survive.

>> No.10814830

How could the 'Imperium " turn on the admech? The Imperium is the creation of the alliance between Terra and Mars

>> No.10814904

>>10814830
They're still (very) separate cultures. You waltz on in a cogboy bar and go on about the EMPRAAAAAA and no one's gonna like you.

And you have a better chance with coggirls because they only really care about your brain.

>> No.10814941

Personally, I like this interpretation of the Ultramarines. These are their Varangian guard, and yes, that's old Mark 1 "Thunder" power armour. Ultramarines as Byzantine Vikings. Does this have any merit?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varangians More reading for inspiration.

>> No.10814953

What if the moon decided to shoot mars?

>> No.10815012

>>10814953
Mars would FUCK THE MOON'S SHIT UP.

FUCK THE MOON.

>> No.10815026

>>10814953
Then the Moon is fucked. Mars is pretty much THE production and defense point for the Sol system, excluding the Jovian shipyards.

>> No.10815044

>>10814953

Mars would write it's name on the moon with a GIANT FUCKING LASER GODDAMN.

>> No.10815053

>>10814941
Another image. If memory serves, these guys are the old school version of the modern honor guard.

>> No.10815074

>>10815012
>>10815026
>>10815044
I'd shed a tear for this, but I lack the mechanisms for doing so.

BECAUSE IT'S TRUE. FUCK THE MOON.

>> No.10815112

isn't the moon now a death star staffed by nulls, and the orkiest damn thing humans ever made?

>> No.10815137

>>10815112
THAT'S NOT GOING TO PROTECT THEM FROM MARS' FURY.

>> No.10815144

When I was first getting into 40k I decided to go with space marines after reading over the new 5th edition codex. I really liked the smurfs and thought they were pretty cool guys that doesnt afraid of anything. This was before I realized there were other chapters out there that were more tailored to my taste.

Then I was reading over the black templars and the space wolves and thought both armies were really cool and after much thought I decided to go with the wolves cause of their barbaric-viking mead swilling battle loving awesomeness. This was back when the 3rd edition codex was not ousted yet, about several months before the new codex was announced. So for a long time I was just collecting SW stuff here and there, assembling a random model or so.

After some time I stopped by my FLGS and came across a nice old guy who was selling his templars. I still loved the BT, so I couldnt pass up the chance to buy a prepainted army that I could play with. After playing with it for some time and getting my SW army all ready I placed my templars aside so I can finally play my wolves. I had fun for some time and enjoyed watching my creations tear across the field led by Bjorn.

Then sure enough, I was browsing cool mini or not one day and I found that the pictures of BT models got me more worked up into a 13yr old fanboy like fit than the SW ones did.

Turns out that as much as I love SW, the BT were the chapter that was closest to my heart.

For Dorn motherfuckers.

>> No.10815157

>>10815074
We like da moon! 'Cause it is close to us!
We like da moon! But not as much as a spoon!
'Cause that's more use for eating soup!

http://www.rathergood.com/moon_song

>> No.10815189

While we're on this:

Marines make psykers into Librarians.

What does Mars do with psykers?

>> No.10815269

>>10815189
Mars uses psykers for experiments. In Mechanicum, one of the Magos is trying to run an experiment using psykers to bring out the latent psychic potential in humanity, hoping to make people more powerful and live longer.

>> No.10815284

>>10815026
'See, mars is unbreakable, unpassable, unscalable, un- WHAT THE FUCKING COGS? WHERE'D THE FUCK THEY FUCKING COME FROM?

>> No.10815286

>>10815189

Navigators for explorator vessels, seeking out knowledge of lost tech, stuff like that I'd guess.

>> No.10815297

>>10815189
The Admech does not like psykers.

They're tolerable as navigators, astropaths, and emprah chow and not much else.

>> No.10815306

>>10815286
The Navigator families are in no way attached to the Ad-Mech

>> No.10815367

>>10815286
>>10815297
>>10815306
Check.

>>10815284
Well, there IS the void dragon chilling out under Mars.

>> No.10815387

>>10815306

well, that is what they'd use psykers for. sure, they'd get them from the Navigator families, but that's what their purpose would be.

>> No.10815413

>>10815387
It's kinda hard to go anywhere without one.

>> No.10815614

>>10809952
>>10809972

I'm not making this a "My primarch is cooler than your primarch" post, just my own treatise on why I think Rogal Dorn is awesome.

Rogal Dorn, in spirit, is the embodiment of what a primarch should be. Honest to a fault, he can never tell a lie because he is the embodiment of truth. Loyal to the bitter end no matter what sort of lies or doubts others may say. Of all the primarchs, he was one of the most loyal to the emperor. His choice of siege tactics was a reflection of his personality. Hold a spot and let no one take it from you. He is an unmoving rock who weathers any storm. Quiet and reserved, he prefers to keep his own thoughts or worries to himself since he feels he is supposed to be able to deal with it alone. He is that type of guy, and thats why he is my primarch.

Fuck yeah Rogal Dorn

>> No.10815631

>>10815413

I'd imagine the Adeptus Mechanicus is trying to figure out how, though.

That might be what they do if they find psykers on Mars. "Get this one to the labs. Don't tell the Black Ships."

>> No.10815682

>>10815614
Rogal Dorn is my favorite Primarch. He's so fucking upstanding and totally badass.

>>10815631
>implying they don't do this already
hahahaha

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action