Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
[ERROR] No.10077248 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

It's been over a month since the Deck of Many Things came to 4e.

How has it affected your campaigns?

>> No.10077261

Huh? Really? How does it work?

>> No.10077262

>implying I waste my time with 4E, or D&D in general

>> No.10077274

>>10077248
We don't use the Deck anymore.

>> No.10077279

>implying that was the Deck of Many Things and not a worthless sentient artifact of No Risk All Reward.
I actually like most of the 4E stuff but that one made me rage.

>> No.10077307

As a sane GM, no such artifact is going anywhere near my campaign regardless of game or edition.

>> No.10077317

It's alright. Not as lolrandumb as the 3.5E one (though, by the same token, it isn't as awesome). Its just a nice artifact now instead of a potentially game-breaking one.

>> No.10077353

It's a watered down version of an iconic, if often gamebreaking, artifact.
It's there simply for the "look it's really D&D" value.

>> No.10077359

>>10077261

Paragon level +5 tome artifact that chaos sorcerors can also use. Has some powers that allow rolls to be altered.

Has a Daily power that lets you or the party (DM's discretion) draw 1-3 cards (depending on how much the artifact likes you) and you instantly reap the effect of one of the cards you drew (and in the case it doesn't like you, you draw three cards and MUST choose a bad one if it comes up).

All the cards generally have powerful effects and there's about an equal number of good and bad cards. Some of the more extreme cards were toned down or changed (the one that zaps all your magic items? Blows them up into residuum worth 80% of their value instead). Most of the cards have had a faithful translation from 3.5e.

Deck vanishes after it's had its cards drawn.

>> No.10077365

>>10077262
Let's see.
D&D is /tg/ relevant.
A Deck of many things is a classic D&D item.
No one cares what you think gumby.

Sage yourself Corky.

and I don't even like 4th.

>> No.10077374

>>10077262
This is a bad post, don't be like this.

I dunno, most don't seem like the "you're lucky, you're not dead" level of risk that past editions were, and something like that should be, it's a powerful artifact. Still, different strokes for different folks.

>> No.10077378

>>10077317
Who even used DoMT in their 3.5 campaigns? Just a quick poll.

>> No.10077399

>>10077279 implying the risk-reward ratio isn't actually worse than ever.

Seriously, there are TWO worthwhile benefits in the entire deck, and half a dozen ways to fuck yourself over.

>> No.10077404

>>10077378
a part of each one of us wanted to

some, perhaps, fell to this temptation

>> No.10077405

The old deck of many things can suck a dick, bad draws equal a dead campaign.

>> No.10077432

>>10077378
My old DM did, once, and not a single player drew from it after the wizard told them what it was.

>> No.10077433

Does anyone have a list of effects?

>> No.10077447

>>10077433

>>>/rs/deck+of+many+things

>> No.10077508

Have you guys seen some of the older decks?
What now means "lose some of the value of your magic items" used to be "lose all wealth and all non-magical possessions".

>> No.10077512

>>10077433
it's also up on the wizards site, just google deck of many things, it's in the web supplement.

>> No.10077515

To further immerse the players, the article has sheets of cards for the DM to print out.

>> No.10077527

>>10077508

Yeah, and you can't get Wishes out of it anymore either. Your point?

>> No.10077534

>>10077405
Deck of Many Things (the real one) should, like almost all pre-3E artifacts, only be used as a plot central thing if you don't want it to fuck up your shit.

>> No.10077580

>>10077534

Deck of Many Things (the new one) is built for sandbox campaigns. The cards come in decently OK thing, random fuckover, quest prompt, and random fuckover that is a quest prompt.

>> No.10077665

Hey, I don't keep up with 4E too much. Did they ever put back in:

Apparatus of Qualish?
Sword of Nine Steps Draining?
Mighty Servant of Leuk-O?

>> No.10077685

>>10077665
N-o-p-e.

>> No.10077744

>>10077665
We have the Apparatus in 4e.

>> No.10077918

>>10077665

What are those last two?

>> No.10077948

>>10077744
How does it work in? Seems kind of unbalanced in it's original form?

Oh yeah, and what about the Machine of Lum the Mad?

>> No.10078143

>>10077918
A sword that drains level in a pattern, starting with nine, and moving down as it is used, and a kind of medieval mech, respectively.

>> No.10078399

>>10078143 drains levels

Not a mechanic anymore.

We have mechs though. I recall a GIANT TRAMPLING MECHANICAL ELEPHANT was one of them.

>> No.10078674

>>10078399
Eh? Haven't heard of iron oliphaunts galivanting about. Explain.

>> No.10078733

>>10078674

I forget what it's named, it's a very badass artifact.

>> No.10078793

I just skimmed through the rules on the new Deck, and I don't really like it. The cards that involve stat loss are no longer permanent. Not only that, but there are none that give stat boosts, either.

I don't like the Donjon and The Void cards, as they alienate a player by having him sit out for a session or two, and force a quest on the rest of the party. What if the players and the characters decided "You know what? Fuck that guy. He was an asshole, and should rot in a dimensional prison."? Instead of taking the quest to rescue them. What's more, is that this quest has set experience points, and said player who pulled one of those cards misses out on that, too.

The Key card rubs me the wrong way, because it lets the player have a magical item of their choosing, as long as it's below 21st level. Does this mean that the player who pulled the card is aware of ALL magical items, or can they only decide upon what they know about? I imagine this allows the player to metagame it and have any item they damn well please. How is somebody like a fighter or barbarian going to have vast knowledge of magical items?

The same goes for the Moon card. You get a ritual of your choosing. What if you have no knowledge of rituals? How do you know what to choose? Is the card wasted, or do we get to metagame?

Throne is worthless if you don't have a keep to begin with. If you don't have a keep, you get one, but it's inhabited by monsters. Technically, I could go grab a keep from some local lord, and slaughter the guards inside. This isn't very magical. Instead, it feels like another excuse for a dungeon crawl.

I like that they're putting in some more interesting and not-so sterile magical items into 4th edition, but I feel this one is a bit... shit.

>> No.10078926

>>10078793
Reading is a real struggle for you, isn't it?

>> No.10078976

>>10078793
The fact that the other players are not necessarily going to want to do a big fucking quest to save your ass is the main danger of the mechanic.

>> No.10078979

>>10078793
>The Key card rubs me the wrong way, because it lets the player have a magical item of their choosing, as long as it's below 21st level. Does this mean that the player who pulled the card is aware of ALL magical items, or can they only decide upon what they know about? I imagine this allows the player to metagame it and have any item they damn well please. How is somebody like a fighter or barbarian going to have vast knowledge of magical items?
>The same goes for the Moon card. You get a ritual of your choosing. What if you have no knowledge of rituals? How do you know what to choose? Is the card wasted, or do we get to metagame?
I'm guessing that from an IC perspective, the character just gets a random boon. You, the player, for this moment, take the role of the Forces of fate in deciding which boon he gets.

>> No.10079239

>Reading is a real struggle for you, isn't it?

You can't be that sensitive about some random person criticizing the rulings for your game of choice, can you? I don't like it, and I said why. How about a counter-argument instead of bashing me? How about your input on the matter?

>The fact that the other players are not necessarily going to want to do a big fucking quest to save your ass is the main danger of the mechanic.

You as the player wouldn't want to sit out for a game or two because you pulled a shitty card, would you? If you come across a Deck of Many Things, I would hope it's because your DM gave you a good reason to have it. Why sit out because of that?

Sometimes party members don't get along. You often times have "that guy" or somebody else who really was pushing your buttons. In prior version of the Deck, if you pull something like that, you're gone. The party has an option to seek you out, but you aren't automatically forced into a quest to save your "buddy". Going into the deep metaplanes is fucking dangerous. It's filled with shit you likely won't comprehend. All to save one guy's life? If they're a true bro, you bet, but, I can think of a number of guys in real life and in D&D, that I would NOT risk my hide for.

>> No.10079259

>>10077279
So make up your own that has dangerous things in it. Shouldn't be too hard.

>> No.10079277

>>10079259
>Shouldn't be too hard.

>> No.10079324

>>10079239
>>10078793

If you had finished reading the article, you would find that if a person's character gets body-snatched it's suggested that you let them make a temporary one to help rescue themselves.

>> No.10079409

>If you had finished reading the article, you would find that if a person's character gets body-snatched it's suggested that you let them make a temporary one to help rescue themselves.

So, when do they get to make this temporary character? On their own time, during the session? It's the same as if a character dies. It can be a problem. Honestly, I don't know about most people, but when it comes to making characters, I hate it. I like to stick with one, flesh them out, and play them to the very end. Death or otherwise. Making a fill-in for one or two sessions is fucking stupid. And, again, your original character would miss out on experience and riches.

>> No.10079437

>How about a counter-argument instead of bashing me?

That WAS his counterargument, aka RTFM.

>> No.10079450

>>10079409

...Oh for fuck's sake. _Read the article._

>> No.10079466

>>10079450
>...Oh for fuck's sake. _Read the article._

I did. My point still stands.

>> No.10079488

>>10079466

...And yet you somehow missed the bit warning of and addressing these complaints?

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action