[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 493 KB, 750x750, 1502593747205.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9996423 No.9996423 [Reply] [Original]

So I've come to realize that "visualizing' isn't just a figure of speech, and is quite literal as (97~%?) people can see images in their head. What parts of the brain likely compensate for a lack of visual memory/imagery?

>> No.9996482

>>9996423
>What parts of the brain likely compensate for a lack of visual memory/imagery?
Probably the same that activate when a normal person doesn't recall something visually

>> No.9996507

>>9996482
which is?

>> No.9996531

What do you mean by compensate? If their visual memory isn't working, what do you think they compensate with?

>> No.9997155

>>9996423
What do you mean compensate?

>>9996531
Visualizing isnt necesarily the same as visual working memory.

>> No.9997218

>>9997155
You're right, so what do they compensate with? That's my question. If they can visualize things, yet not have a visual memory. What creates that gap? Unless I'm completely misunderstanding it.

>> No.9997265

>>9997218
They can't use visual imagery. Their visual working memory is usually fine. Visual imagery and wm might correlate with disconnection of visual areas and prefrontal areas. if they dont correlate it might be other areas like the medial temporal lobe that are disconnected.

Why do they need to compensate?

>> No.9997278

>>9997265
As in, I could remember walking my dog this morning, but I wouldn't be able to visualize walking my dog and fighting ninjas? Only because it's not a visual memory, but simply a visualization? That's fairly out there, but the brain does some weird shit, so why not?

>> No.9997283

>>9997278
When you recall walking your dog, do you visualise it?

>> No.9997289

>>9997283
I can, like I can sit back, close my eyes and can visualize parts of it. Surely not all of it, but I can visualize the little kid that stopped and pet my dog.

>> No.9997335

>>9997289
im not asking if you can, im asking if you do. when someone asks you what you did the other day, you dont visualise it do you.

>> No.9997645

I also have aphantasia and came upon the same revelation a few months ago (at 25) like you did OP. I can only think speech and often rely on intuition where I assume other people would use their visualization ability

>> No.9997656

I don't think any single topic is as interesting to me as the fact that this condition exists, because I consider the ability to visualise things so foundational.

I'm sometimes tempted to think its a matter of miscommunication. Like obviously there's a difference in fidelity and detail between actually seeing something and visualising it-it's not fucking VR. But to bring it down to basics, you should be able to, on some ephemeral level, """see""" the colour red at will. You should be able to conjure up a detailed image of the face of someone you know very well.

It's not actually like seeing something, in the same way remembering something isn't like experiencing it right at this moment, but if you genuinely lacked any imagination or visual memory of any kind I feel like it would turn your consciousness into some kind of existentially unsettling black hole.

>> No.9997676

>>9997656
This NPC meme is derpy. Stream of consciousness comes in many forms. If you unable to visualize, think audibly and vocally, explicitly recall previous moments, transform shapes into lines and perspective, dive into feelings, or missing any of the other mind skills doesn't make you anything less. It is your path and you know the source better than any commentary.

>> No.9997685

>>9997656
I'm >>9997645 and I understand that there's different levels of fidelity to visualization based on what I've read. And let me tell you, at least in my case, there is 0 fidelity. There is nothing, my mind's eye in every way I've attempted is just pitch black. The best I get is the pure notion of recalling a scene, but thats it.

>> No.9997722

>>9997645
You cant visualise things? what if you were to imagine or remember things you did in the past. You can't visualise it?

>> No.9997727

>>9997722
Nothing m8, I can recall that I have a past, memories, etc but I don't experience them very well and can't see them at all. It's all just stores as verbal data for me

>> No.9997729

>>9997656
>You should be able to conjure up a detailed image of the face of someone you know very well.
I can't do this, but I definitely do not have aphantasia: I have no problem visualising, but trying to visualise a familiar face is like trying to visualise, say, a complicated circuit diagram or knot.

>> No.9997787

>>9997727
Can you olfactorize? or auralise? or somatosize?

>> No.9997798

>>9997656
> if you genuinely lacked any imagination or visual memory of any kind I feel like it would turn your consciousness into some kind of existentially unsettling black hole.

Well this is a bold statement especially when most people dont even realise they have a condition.

>> No.9997805

>>9997787
Do you mean imagine those senses? No, I can't imagine tastes, smells, however I can imagine music but not vague sounds. I am a very broken person

>> No.9997810

>>9997798
Well obviously it's wrong given the plain fact of how normal people with the condition otherwise are. I'm saying that would be my initial, intuitive expectation if I didn't have this contradictory evidence.

>> No.9997834

>>9997810
Ohhh. An interesting thought too is that none of us really have any guage on how good at imagining thing we are. Theres probably super visualisers out there who are like tripping their brains out not realising that no one else does that.