[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 73 KB, 741x568, math_pepe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9996163 No.9996163 [Reply] [Original]

Hey \sci\, how do I stay motivated to continue with math as a comp sci major? I love math but discrete is kicking my ass and my calc prof is hard to understand.

>> No.9997108

Do you need motivation in the sense that you don't know what you're doing it for or motivation for keeping at it?

In the first case, you're doing this in order to better your understanding of discrete models and algorithms. It's basically the bread and butter of computer science (meaning computer science, as opposed to "computer science" that's all about programming).

For the second, view the material as puzzles. If you get stuck, write the question down along with everything you know about it and try to piece it together to find a direction to work in. If all else fails try to view it as a model for something you know and use your intuition.

>> No.9997196

>>9996163
Entry level work doesn't necessarily employ you for your mathematics skills, but higher level CS jobs like cryptography require a lot of creative problem solving through the use of math. All that aside, the academic culture of CS is mathematical (and this makes sense, as CS departments often grew out of the math departments and collaborate with the engineering departments). The deeper you get into it, the more it gives you. Learning how to devise and analyze good algorithms is a math intensive skill that I promise you will never regret, math and CS majors alike.

>> No.9997204

>>9996163
when i started programming, i didn't know any other programmer irl, or anyone actually knows what's programming.

Now it's a mainstream shit and some pajeet will take your job anyway.

If you are dijkstra, go ahead and work on comp sci, otherwise it's almost certain that you will be a programmer and nobody will respect you.

>> No.9997206

>>9996163
Is there discrete 2 and stuff? I thought discrete is just an easy first year course.

>> No.9997244

i'd switch to math. compsci is quickly becoming an uninteresting major. or rather, the most interesting parts of compsci are math-related. math majors are probably better company anyway.

>> No.9997248

>>9997244

or at least this is the perspective i get from attending a state university. higher-tier colleges might have better programs that focus less on learning a few industry tools and more on cutting edge science.

>> No.9997256

>>9997244
>>9997248
cont.

or at least i'd have chosen math as an undergrad major. sure beats taking a dozen OOP/database classes.

>> No.9997263

>>9997244
>>9997248
>>9997256
I went to a state school and the math and computer science degrees were intertwined and you basically had to double major in mathematics and computer science for the degree.
I think at this point that's how it should be done for all schools. The fields are essentially the same thing and treating computer science like just software engineering or programming is a disservice to the field. It also gets rid of brainlets who just want to learn to program video games or get a job out of school "with a starting salary of 90 grand a year!!"

>> No.9997306

>>9996163
>needing motivation to get through baby math

>> No.9997309

>>9997263
>treating computer science like just software engineering or programming is a disservice to the field

at my university, undergrads do have a lot of flexibility in what they can take. i never imagined myself ever being a grad student, so i picked a balanced set of courses along with some other science stuff. i don't think i could have done it any differently since i was completely math-illiterate out of high school and would have been overwhelmed.

still, my advice to any undergrads who are interested in an advanced compsci degree but are not going to a top-tier college would be to take a math major and a compsci minor, make friends with a few compsci professors, and get their recommendations when you apply to the compsci grad program.

it's telling that so many of the grad students in my program did not take their undergraduate courses here. it didn't used to be that way though, i remember when i first enrolled here, the grad department was full of students who did their undergrad work there too. they seemed pretty tight knit, i'm jealous of their experience.

>> No.9997334

>>9997309
cont.

think of it as a menu hack. compsci is still interesting, however it seems like undergrad advisors will just set you up for a career in software engineering, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's probably why the demographics of our graduate program bear so little resemblance to the undergrad program. i remember someone here was complaining that senior undergraduates were ill-prepared for grad school, but if they're a professor/advisor, i hope the irony isn't lost on them.

>> No.9997339
File: 65 KB, 1200x900, fp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9997309
>>9997334

tldr;

don't go to a state college

>> No.9997341

>>9997339

or if you do, think very carefully about what you want to take and take the advise of your advisor well-salted

>> No.9997344

>>9997341
>advise
*advice

>> No.9997452

>>9997339
That's not the tldr of my post.
My college (a state school) has a very highly acclaimed computer science program. Difficult to get into and about a 10% graduation rate. It depends on the school, just make sure it isn't a degreemill for software engineers.

>> No.9997456
File: 414 KB, 490x684, 1532682693564.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9996163
>I love math but discrete is kicking my ass

Holy fuck, you're fucking retarded.

>> No.9997618

>>9997452

of course every college is going to be different.