[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 40 KB, 460x306, terrence.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9989659 No.9989659 [Reply] [Original]

How to get gud at maths sci?

I have an English degree and managed to get a job in investment banking. Needless to say Maths isn't my strong point and I'm being outpaced by my colleagues at my CFA classes.

How can I improve quickly?

>> No.9989779

>>9989659
I'm not an expert but am pretty good at Math. I would recommend focusing on the fundamentals and not stressing about jumping into hard topics quickly. A lot of people try to take on complicated advanced proofs without having a deep grasp of things like logarithms, trigonometry, derivatives, integrals etc. This is a surefire way to fail. Also, don't be embarrassed if you can't understand a simple topic right away. These things take time. The reason a derivative is "simple" is largely just because many people have spent decades working with them. The first time they see it, most people are confused.

>> No.9989812

>>9989659
Khan academy and PatrickJMT.

Start at Algebra 1 and give or take a few subjects from there to refresh on fundamentals. Rebuild your knowledge. It's a lot easier since you're older now. You shouldn't need anything past what Khan Academy has to offer in terms of math.

>> No.9989815

>>9989659
>has an English degree
>gets a job in investment banking

>have a PhD degree in physics
>still no job

fml

>> No.9990812

>>9989659
>investment banking
Don't you just plug numbers into calculators? No need to be good at math if all you're doing is that.