[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 655 KB, 300x168, 1525414754184.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9972378 No.9972378 [Reply] [Original]

Will Big Pharma ever allow the cure for cancer to be invented?

What would they do to the person that discovers it?

>> No.9972381

they would pay a trillion dollars to buy exclusive rights to it

>> No.9972382

>>9972381

>Thinking any company would be able to get away with having a monopoly on the cure for cancer

Not even in the most retarded backwards Cyberpunk setting

>> No.9972390

>>9972382
lol

>> No.9972401
File: 42 KB, 610x723, us-cancer-death-rates-factoid-article.__v50042648.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

cancer treatments already cure cancer

targeted delivery and early detection will continue this trend into the future

cancer will no longer be a death sentence, even late stage cancer will be treatable with targeted delivery.

they'll still charge you for the treatment, dipshit

>> No.9972421

>>9972378
Its so much worse than you realize. There are multiple plants that you could just eat daily instead of undergoing cancer treatment. I sound like a conspiracy nut hippy i know, thats by design. Things like wormwood tea, bitter almonds, and yes marijuana have naturally anti carcinogenic properties, there are even peer reviewed studies out there that prove this. The problem is nobody uses these medicinal plants like they used to. These all used to be very common medicines, and while they wont save you from stage IV lung cancer, if they are taken regularly they will prevent you from ever developing cancer in the first place. Wormwood tea with a high iron diet is found to function like targeted chemotherapy. Tumors need large quantities of iron to undergo mitosis. Thujone, the medicinal chemical in wormwood, becomes toxic in the presence of iron. This causes increased toxicity in iron heavy tumors, while leaving healthy cells relatively unaffected. A wormwood and iron regiment can even destroy smaller tumors if they havent yet metastasized.

Obviously, there is no cure all, and these natural remedies will not save you from late stage cancer. However, if everyone were to use them preventatively, cancer would almost immediately become a relic of the past. The pharmaceutical companies will never let you know this, because these plants can be grown EASILY. Most of them are considered weeds, and will take over an entire field if left on their own. Now here comes the part where /sci/ anons who drank the kool aid too hard tell me while im full of shit. Do your own research into wormwood, you will see i am right.

>> No.9972424

>>9972421
WHY im full of shit*
Before any grammar nazis attack me for that.

>> No.9972441
File: 1.13 MB, 230x230, 1510679066764.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9972421

>> No.9972469

>>9972378
>Big Pharma
>>>/x/

>> No.9972508

>>9972441
>implying im a conspiracy nut because i mention anything med school hasn’t explicitly taught you
Thats the intended conditioned response. Way to out yourself as doing no research.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2629082/
Thats not even the original study i was referencing. There was one out of Japan that i read a while ago explaining the pathways through which Thujone also destroys cancer cells. I can no longer find it as its buried under tons of other results praising wormwood as a useful tool in the fight against cancer.This study i linked is looking at how Artemisinin(another naturally occurring chemical in wormwood) also blocks prostate cancer cell growth.

You will hear, even using the current medically accepted treatments for cancer, that the key to beating cancer is catching it early. Wormwood has many other health benefits and if you were to take it daily, you would be at a drastically decreased risk of ever developing cancer, because if you were ever to develop a single cancerous cell, the treatment is already circulating through your bloodstream. But go ahead and call me crazy for saying that prevention is much more effective than treatment, as this last sentence, even medical doctors agree with.

>> No.9972513
File: 1.11 MB, 1280x720, 1520442956047.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9972508

>> No.9972515

>>9972378
>Will Big Pharma ever allow the cure for cancer to be invented?
Never, just like worldwide the Pharma&doctor unions are fighting hard against fecal microbiota transplant.
people with bad guts develop all kinds of problems, they are life long clients to these pharma capitalists, why let them fix their gut with a injection of a dose of healthy bacteria.

It has come so far that there is a illegal trade in high grade poop of healty people like athletes.

>> No.9972517

>>9972508
Just in case you are incapable of understanding whats going on in this study, i will give you the cliff notes.

“Taken together, our results suggest that artemisinin is a very potent anti-cancer compound that exhibits unique effects on the cell cycle regulation of human prostate cancer cells. As such, artemisinin has the potential to be developed as a potent anti-prostate cancer therapeutic.”
“This result suggests that anti-proliferative effects of artemisinin on prostate cancer cells, and likely other cancer cell types, are independent of its oxidative potential. In this regard, we observe a similar effect of artemisinin on other types of human reproductive cancer cells”
>this last part means that while they can only claim results for the types of cancer studied(prostate cancer) the researchers believe it would be effective against other types of cancer aswell, due to the method of action through which Artemisinin affects prostate cancer.

>> No.9972521

>>9972513
>I post evidence in the form of research to back my claims
>he still implies im Alex Jones teir
This, ladies and gentlemen, is exactly what is wrong with the scientific community today. Even when presented with evidence he still denies it, due to his own dogmatic beliefs that a plant cannot possibly cure anything unless its processed by a pharmaceutical company first.

Fun fact: The most potent anti-malarial drugs today are also derived from wormwood. For thousands of years wormwood tea was used, very effectively, to treat and cure malaria. This has nothing to do with its anti-carcinogenic properties, but is further evidence that pharmaceutical companies will often re-invent the wheel for profit.

If you are just trolling me
>8/10
You got points for the simplicity and the fact that i replied, though it was mostly to educate others who may be reading. Would have been a 9/10, but i felt it was too minimal of an effort on your part.

>> No.9972539

>>9972421
I think this is as reasonable as simply eating healthy foods and exercising consistently in order to prevent cancer. Most people who develop cancer are likely the victim of poor lifestyle choices whether that be diet, inactivity, too much stress or repeated exposure to known cancer inducing elements (sun overexposure, smoking, drinking, etc). Certainly in cases where an individual has exposed themselves to harmful chemicals or radiation, they WILL need modern medicine to intervene.

>> No.9972542

>>9972539
This too is an excellent idea. Healthy organic foods contain far less, to zero, artificial chemicals. Which also reduces your risk of cancer, however, the naturally occurring medicinal plants I mentioned will actually destroy cancer cells, instead of just reducing the risk of developing cancer. Either way, lifestyle changes alone would be enough to greatly reduce the amount of cancer patients treated every year. One of the many great arguments for universal healthcare is that the government would be more likely to promote these healthy lifestyles if the treatment for cancer came out of Uncle Sams pocket.

>> No.9972546

>>9972521
>tell people smoking causes cancer
>people smoke anyways

Your studies may be legit but unless there's some big reason for people to use these things it won't be done, there are already a lot of things to prevent cancer right now

>> No.9972551

>>9972539
That's not really true. Cancer is a disease of old age. Everyone dies of something, and the longer you live, the more likely you are to develop cancer. Most men who live over seventy have prostate cancer, for example.

>> No.9972554
File: 222 KB, 564x1345, cancer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Op is a glorious-winged faggot.

>> No.9972566

>>9972546
Absinthe was originally developed as a medicine, and it contains wormwood(among other things). All you need to do is make wormwood enjoyable to consume. Wormwood beer, wormwood liquor, promote recipes that make use of wormwood, and wormwood tea alone has mild psychoactive properties, having similar effects as caffeine. This along with usinng wormwood exctract for things like cold and flu(as it also has vitamins that aid with immune function) is how life was lived thousands of years ago before government regulations, medical school brainwashing, and conditioned resposes to questioning authority were cultivated. Listen, i am not promoting holistic medicine as a whole. Most natural remedies out there are, in fact, bullshit. There ARE natural medicines that work though, that have been largely phased out from modern life.

>> No.9972575
File: 92 KB, 576x1182, 1530800761513.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

pretty much the only cure for cancer right here

>> No.9972579

>>9972378
OP your post gave me cancer

>> No.9972592

>>9972579

good

>> No.9972600

>>9972554
i cannot believe that this comic or anything written by its author could make someone laugh

>> No.9972607

>>9972566
>>9972546
Also, as a disclaimer, though I mention wormwood, it is not the only medicinal plant, nor the only one with anti-carcinogenic properties. I am not claiming every human thousands of years ago was the peak picture of health, nor am i claiming that all humans were using wormwood. Wormwood was, however, extensively used in Chinese medicine and Absinthe was once the most popular beverage on Earth. There are primitive tribes in Africa today who make use of bitter almonds, making a sort of peanut butter substance from it. They have an average life expectancy in the 70s, dispite having no access to modern medical care. Im not saying anyone shouldnt go to the hospital, or that modern medicine treatments dont work, they do. However, often times there are much simpler solutions out there that you will not be told in medical school because nobody can profit from plants easily grown in your backyard. Therefore, nobody has incentive to study them, and many people have monetary incentives to actively supress this information. Go ahead, you can call me Alex Jones again, its your loss.

>> No.9972615

>>9972607
Despite*
damn i need some sleep.

>> No.9972620

This thread really went to shit the second /x/ arrived.

>> No.9972636

>>9972378
>Will Big Pharma ever allow the cure for cancer to be invented?
Yes
>What would they do to the person that discovers it?
Take the intellectual property rights in exchange for a paltry 80k a year

>> No.9972657

>>9972378
Odd how countries with nationalised healthcare, in which the overriding objective is to cure to minimize costs, still treat exactly the same as countries under "big pharma".

A 'cure for cancer' would be an enormous accomplishment for any company and worth a lot. There is never going to be any shortage of ill people such that it would be hidden. Mostly pharma reps want you to use their biosimilars or even over treat. They never push ineffective meds over much better ones.

>> No.9972668

>>9972607
The only way to stop a tumor once it metastasis is to cut it out and replace the damage with stem cells.

>> No.9972699

>>9972668
Ive mentioned previously ITT that this is a prevention method. The goal is to never get to the point of metastasis. Preventing tumors before they start is much easier than treating existing ones. Please read the entire thread before posting, or just lurk moar in general.

>> No.9972781

>>9972668
Your post is wrong in so many ways. Stem cells are not typically used to replace tissue removed in surgery, though they can be used after chemo to replace stem cells killed by the treatment.

>> No.9972819

>>9972668
This hurts to read. How can one person be so stupid and still post on the science board? That isn't the case at all. Surgery is not going to work as a solo treatment when there are metastasis, and I have no idea what you're even on about with the stem cells. Cancer cells often spread /everywhere/. Look at any PET/CT scan for a stage 4 patient and you'd see that.

>> No.9972917

>>9972819
He's one of the people who are full Dunning-kruger on medicine. Because he's learnt that cancer is cellular mutation he now thinks he's cracked it.

The body and medicine are extraordinarily complex, delicate and variable, discoveries aren't being kept back by """big pharma""", it's just very hard.

>> No.9972932

>>9972378
everyone is going to die from something, curing death is a fuckin meme, cancer treatment is a money making scam

>> No.9973123

>>9972932

>"bro why bother bathing you're just going to get dirty again!"

>> No.9973271

>>9972378
Yes. Imagine being the company that literally cured cancer. Your reputation alone could keep you afloat for centuries,

>> No.9973816

>>9972607
yeah there are definitely plants with medicinal properties out there. i worked for a mining company in jamaica for a while and my personal helper was a rastafarian. while we were doing geologic surveys he was always with me to act as a buffer with the locals in the mountains. the dude was always harvesting various plants and making teas/concotions with them. he would drop them off at different peoples houses etc. young dudes always came to him also. i asked him why, and he said because he made medicine for their penises. probably some jungle viagara kind of tea. it probably worked too, or else why would people travel to buy teas from this guy.

also generally speaking, the human body is very complex and most traditional/plant based medicines have never even been tested.

i think its unlikely that all traditional medicines have 0 real beneficial properties.

>> No.9973818

>>9972378
If the blue wins the election this year, yes

>> No.9974160

>>9972421
Lots of meds found from botanical sources but pharma R&D finds it, purifies it and synthesizes it de novo or with stuff to make it into a drug. If you want to chew on plants and leafs to detox that your right, prerogative even, but I trust a fuck ton of randomised clinical trials over herbalists, naturopaths, youtube videos and anons.