[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 378 KB, 600x772, 738.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9949739 No.9949739 [Reply] [Original]

Are there any geophysicists/geologists/seismologists in the Snohomish County area who would be interested in starting a business? I have an algorithm for detecting microseismicity that I think we could grow into a very profitable company, but I would like to collaborate with someone else who has more domain-specific knowledge.

>> No.9949764

you've gotta be fucking kidding me if you think I know where Snohomish county is

is that the land of the fucking elves?

>> No.9949777

>>9949764
Washington State, just north of Seattle. People living in the area would know.

>> No.9949780

>>9949777
dude weed nirvana lmao amirite

>> No.9949793
File: 32 KB, 400x400, pepereallymakesyouthink.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9949764
This question is aimed at people who know where Snohomish county is.

>> No.9950457
File: 187 KB, 1024x768, 1534833294940.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Basically what happened is that I got scammed into fixing a microseismology company's product for them. The good thing is that they forgot to make me sign any noncompetes or NDAs during the process, so now I have inside knowledge of how to replicate their product from scratch, in addition to all of the improvements of my own.

The idea is to use a network of smartphones as makeshift seismometers to create extremely high resolution subsurface resource maps using passive travel time and attenuation tomography. We would create a sort of geophysical analytics library that app developers could include in their projects and get paid for as an alternative to showing users advertisements. That way we could build out a sensor network with unrivalled coverage and density with a flip of a switch since there's so many people with smartphones out there now. Of course that's going to result in a massive deluge of data, but luckily I have a really efficient and robust source localization algorithm that can let us scale to those levels. I'm an applied math guy though, so what I really need is someone with more knowledge of the geology for building up an accurate velocity model.

tl;dr: I want to make an app to discover every mineral resource in north america

>> No.9951022

Bump. The algorithm is special because it can detect seismic events below the noise floor, and do so in a way that's orders of magnitude faster than the current state of the art.

They reached out to me in the first place because they saw my research in numerical optimization. The way they were originally locating events was pants-on-head retarded, where they would use CMA-ES to find regions of maximum seismic energy by naively projecting the time-series data from the seismometers onto the subsurface of each job site. Then they would timestep CMA-ES and go with whichever timestep had the highest energy value because they had no way of determining whether their "detection" was even real, or more likely just a local optimum due to the poor way they formulated the problem.

>> No.9951025

>BUMP

Friend, the number of people on /sci/ from the greater Snohomish County Area is going to be pretty small. Do you really care where they are, geographically? This is the future, we have video-chatting and shit.

>> No.9951030

>>9950457
>so now I have inside knowledge of how to replicate their product from scratch

You do not have the right to infringe any patents, etc. Be cautious.

>> No.9951960

>>9951025
Being in the Puget Sound would make it easier for practical reasons, but I guess I'm open to collaborating remotely.

>>9951030
My approach is quite different from the method they were originally using, but you do raise a good point. I'll have to make sure their parent company doesn't try to patent the things I showed them.