[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 56 KB, 800x587, rocket-man-2236944[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9871473 No.9871473 [Reply] [Original]

No return trip or anything. Your corpse would just be in orbit.
Assume that the government doesn't try to ruin the fun.

>> No.9871534

Going by the standards that “you” are the average American citizen with no access to expensive rocketry or aviation equipment, using the balloon method the Red Bull used to get a professional skydiver to the upper limits of the stratosphere will get you about the highest possible without using the parts mentioned earlier. That ascent module on its own would probably cost you a few hundred dollars just for the balloon and another $2,000 for the pod that you’d be strapped into. That pricing is assuming it is made using some cheap metalwork worth a few hundred, as well as has at least minimal life support, like SCUBA grade air tanks that’d be worth a little over $1,000.

I imagine at that height you could maybe use heavily modified hobby rocketry parts as boosters attached to an ascension module that you’d be strapped into, and the 99% absence of pressure would allow them to take you much further than if they were launched from the ground (there’d be 1% of the normal air resistance). You’d need a lot of those hobby rockets though, like assuming they’re between $1-2,000 each, you’d need between $10-20,000 worth in just the rockets total. So maybe that isn’t exactly “you” friendly. (If it isn’t, then this additional stage can be disregarded.)

Now that’s just >maybe probably< the minimum to actually get you into space. Now we have to get you actually into orbit, as your post states.
This is obnoxiously tricky, because this is just more weight and equipment and money. Orbit is the act of having enough horizontal velocity to counter the natural vertical fall caused by gravity, which means you’d need something to give you enough propulsion to get you at least a corresponding minimal periapsis that is also located above the height considered to be “space.”
The best route would be more balloons and hobby rocket thrusters, I guess. Having one extra balloon or somehow recycling the earlier balloon would allow you to achieve buoyancy...
(cont)

>> No.9871541

Yes

>> No.9871542

>>9871534 (cont)
...Having one extra balloon or somehow recycling the earlier balloon would allow you to achieve buoyancy, while an extra rocket stage would allow the horizontal thrust needed to actually create an orbit.

It’d be a very ugly, very bulky, and still a very expensive craft. However, I’d consider this to be the bare minimum for getting your body, alive during the trip at that, up out of the atmosphere into space and into an orbit. And this would be using no computerised parts, I’m talking like some sort of Flintstones pod craft where you’d be using scissors to cut ropes and a lighter (preferably an electrical “tesla” lighter) to light the boosters, comparable to that guy that flew using helium balloons tied to his lawn chair kind of shit.

>> No.9872460
File: 280 KB, 1081x1080, lawn chair balloon and shotgun.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9871542
Good times, good times...

>> No.9872506

>>9871473
>>9871534
>>9871542
Celestis provides a service that will get a portion of your ashes into orbit. Launches every two years for about the price of a new car - about half that if you don't mind coming back down.

Once every ten years, they launch a deep space probe with DNA samples, for about the price of a new boat, though they've only launched one so far, and the next one's still TBA.

They also have plans for a service that'll crash DNA samples on the moon.

>> No.9872771
File: 50 KB, 1314x1054, 10e.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9871473
Depends on.
Distance•Money(When out of the earths stratosphere). Past the stratopause the D•M will exponentially increase and adding the out of orbit. So S+D•M. You can, but the resources are gonna be cut tight and high.

>> No.9872780
File: 30 KB, 657x527, 558.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9871473
Oh i didnt read the no return thing. Then yea easily lmao. Like 5k-10k

>> No.9872782 [DELETED] 

No chance with Trump's "Space Force". Can't have people finding out about flat earth first had can we?

>> No.9872798

yes
but why should i do this?

>> No.9873862

>>9872798
badass suicide