[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 94 KB, 425x567, lgbt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.9850443 [Reply] [Original]

Why does /sci/ attract such a disproportionate amount of mentally ill people? Is it the feeling of grandeur they have that makes them think they are competent in scientific fields? Or is it just a bunch of burnt-out college students up their own asses? Everyone is either extremely bitter or a lunatic.

>inb4 hurr ur dum too
yeah, i know

>> No.9850445

>>9850443
>Why does /sci/ attract such a disproportionate amount of mentally ill people?
Why do you think it does?

>> No.9850461

>>9850445
Because we have a thread about mental illness not existing where the majority of posters are non-ironically supporting the notion. I believe I made a thread about schizophrenia some time ago and we had a lot of people saying they're diagnosed with it.

I know schizophrenics and I know burnt-out students, they sound very similar and I'm looking for an explanation to the former being so interested in "science", which oftentimes is just their delusions applied loosely to scientific concepts.

>> No.9851028

>>9850443
> /sci/
>the feeling of grandeur
you utter madman

>> No.9851142
File: 20 KB, 250x261, IMG_2026.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>9850443
I have legit autism and this board fills me with feelings of inadequacy and self loathing.

Yet here I am.

>> No.9851154

>>9850443
there are real smart people here, I've seen it
dunning-kruger is real

>> No.9851157

>>9850443
>>9850461
Google "Internet trolling." You an then decide how that concept is relevant to such posts, and to yours.

>> No.9851160

a bunch of kids who got an A in their Abstract Algebra or Physics II class and think they're hot shit

>> No.9851737
File: 68 KB, 600x456, scIQ.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>9851142
don't worry, this board is full of pretentious faggots making up for their own inadequacy

>> No.9851753
File: 85 KB, 790x447, polmentalillnesses.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>9850443
4chan in general attracts a disproportionate amount of mentally ill people.

>> No.9851755

>>9850443
so whats your category? are you a burnt out college student?

>> No.9851758
File: 48 KB, 797x531, legendre.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

only the eyes of a child can make discoveries and build new tools

>> No.9851760

>>9850461
schizophrenics being interested in "science"? thats what you meant by former?

>> No.9852330

>>9850443
One of the factors IMO is that we have grown as society, all our skills and reach, even our imagination, but we count it still as what singletons can do alone, which nobody actually can anymore no matter how well prepared, but that does not stop imagination from relying on vague notions still being build up in the collective, and where to best express these ideas than here?
Like, for example, the universe as a fractal, and maybe even the #FractalUniverseRevolution

>> No.9852368

>>9850443
I noticed that as well, the ratio of schizos here is frightening and even manages to go higher than boards like /x/. There have been like 5 different very loud schizos (and who knows how many more who're quieter) who used to spam threads here daily. Most of them probably got hospitalized or banned but there's one up right now as I'm typing this >>9847222

But I also noticed a very repetitive pattern in all of them - they all show interest in math and they all fall in love with either Pi, e or infinities. If you think about it those 3 things are the main content of the popsci math channels like numberphile/mathologer/3b1b and those schizos only appeared after those channels became popular enough (post 2015), which in turn gives us a very interesting insight in their thought process - they're basically watching those videos, deluding themselves that they're the next Euler and are coming here where they can't be judged like in real life to play out their delusions, which would explain why this board specifically gets so many of them.

Actually, the same to an extent can be applied to /pol/ as well where you get schizos dunning-krugering it to an entire new level after watching a few youtube videos and going there to convince everyone how they now know the Truth and that everyone who criticizes them is a shill in this grand conspiracy to keep those enlightened individuals silenced. I can even draw a very basic linear conclusion and predict that /g/ will be the next such board where a cult of dunning-krugering schizos will form who will obsess with AI and spam word salad code in the same way the schizos here spam math

>> No.9852375

>>9852368
Advancement should be done by all of us, not just by the Einsteins. Some might be good at hunching, some good at writing code for it, rarely good at both and even if would be better if specialized.
Let dreamers dream. Don't code for them if they can't convince you to. Don't belittle imagination that resides outside of your head.

>> No.9852384
File: 238 KB, 500x767, 1530381800352.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

Who is to decide who is crazy?
Maybe you're the crazy one.

>> No.9852397

>>9852375
Listen I agree with that and I appreciate the hidden value of this site which actually allows us to build a decentralized network with no names or identities, with everyone contributing the tiny bit he excels in to achieve something grand that is otherwise unachiavable in a lab or the R&D department of a company, like AI, but you must understand that such a thing requires a massive effort and a very high level of order and neither of those can happen if schizos shit up the boards and demoralize anyone willing to participate, because who'd fucking make an effort to post any idea at all if the only other people who do it are literal schizophrenics? Who'd make a /lets invent X/ general if that general fills up with Simon and Johnny shitting it up with their math salad?

It's a very long way to that utopia where advancements are made by a decentralized network of not-Einsteins, and those schizos are one of the main obstacles for that path. I saw a similar thing happen to /pol/ where they almost destroyed the board and turned it into GLP and I can see the same happening to every board unless they're told to fuck off and stop shitting it up

>> No.9852405

>>9851160
>implying I didn't fail hs

kys

>> No.9852406

>>9852397
Needing better tools to automate the process, like matching schizzos with schizzos, like people being told in the thread to find another thread with more matching thoughts inside, and actually doing it. Maybe /whysciwhy/ as quite other place still within the same soul of coop and destruction.

>> No.9852424
File: 233 KB, 1200x800, 1530352397174.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>9851753
>tfw all 4 at the same time

>> No.9853241
File: 3.39 MB, 480x480, 1529904916193.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>9850461
>I know schizophrenics and I know burnt-out students, they sound very similar
No you dont
No they dont

Schizophrenia is an umbrella term for a host of disorders with the only commonality being abnormal thinking. Symptoms are extremely varied in intensity and specificity. Its not a fucking shocker that an American dominated board dedicated to STEM isnt particularly fond of psychiatry.

>> No.9854387

They have pseudoscientific ideas and try to find other stuff to claim the dumbest shit.
If you want to see some top shelf retarded I present this https://youtu.be/CuM678WXs0c
I think its very similar to what all those mentally ill are in for coming to any place that looks like there is science stuff.
Im also honestly shocked by the like dislike, comments and viewcount on this.