[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 31 KB, 600x750, 7e3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9827486 No.9827486 [Reply] [Original]

I need help identifying an object in the sky. It occurred last year in July for a few weeks (lost dates), so I expect to see it again soon. If I do, I may buy an expensive telescope just to solve the mystery. With binoculars, it’s still just a shiny dot against the blue sky. Research has shown nothing.

At around 21:00ish at dusk there is a shiny object in the sky about 335°az and 55° elevation from Columbus, GA. It only lasts for about 10min and moves maybe an inch across the sky very slowly. It appears that at dusk, the sun is at the perfect angle to reflect off of it. Before disappearing, it flickers a bit. It is moving too slowly to be a satellite, and I thought geostationary satellites would be too far to see.

Ideas?

>> No.9827491

>>>/x/

>> No.9827496

>>9827491
There is a perfectly logical explanation. I'm just out of ideas on what to research.

>> No.9827540
File: 80 KB, 800x504, Balloon.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9827486

>> No.9827607

>>9827486
Possibly just a star that is only visible in certain conditions. You can use binoculars and/or a telescope to check it out, it's not a very unique phenomena either. Flickering is also an indicator its a star, movement of gases in the atmosphere causes changes in how we perceive the light (google scintillation).
The fact it moves slowly makes it very unlikely to be anything like a satellite as anything visible would most certainly not be geostationary and would pass overhead again multiple times a night, travelling quickly across the sky. Even something like a plane would move far too quickly in the sky.

>> No.9827614

>>9827607
It is very solid and only flickers a few times before the sun sets. It is not visible at night. At the rate is moved, I should be brightly visible after dark. With binoculars, I'm certain it is the sun reflecting.