[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 54 KB, 960x504, 0 z613QM-5hmoDTjB1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9826500 No.9826500 [Reply] [Original]

Is Theoretical Physics Wasting Our Best Living Minds On Nonsense?

https://medium.com/starts-with-a-bang/is-theoretical-physics-wasting-our-best-living-minds-on-nonsense-21a98b9a464c

>> No.9826505

god bless the jews who started it all. imagine how many space colonies we'd have by now if plasma physics had been pursued and developed to give us all endless energy from atmospheric gasses. all that racist white privilege polluting up the galaxy.

>> No.9826521

>>9826500
>Is Theoretical Physics Wasting Our Best Living Minds On Nonsense
No

>> No.9826523

>>9826500
Getting the book. Thanks OP.

>> No.9826538

The book is a shallow attempt to perpetuate a pop-sci stereotype without actually having to do anything, from the author who charges $50 USD for 20 minutes of "physics consultation."

"Only by embracing reality as it is can science discover the truth."
Then go do it. Publish your alternative theories instead of writing cash grabs. Walk the walk.

>> No.9826558

>>9826500
>dumb person with no scientific accomplishments says people smarter than her are wrong
Wtf, I love loop quantum gravity and MOND now.

>> No.9826567

>>9826500
i would say google/facebook/similar tech companies are the biggest brain drain in the country right now. instead of working on real problems, very bright people are given offers they cant refuse and end up just figuring out how to manipulate people.

>> No.9826635

>>9826500
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cJIW5FTbRo

>> No.9826657

The nature of physics changed in the 20th century when Einstein developed his theory of Special Relativity. For the first time a working theory capable of making verifiable predictions was devrloped solely from mathematical abstraction. It would be years later that verifying relativity experimentally would be possible. Without such abstraction, it would have been impossible to find that time is relative because it only becomes apparent at speeds that are unattainable to us. As physics advanced and more of the fundamental laws of nature were uncovered, this limitation continued to present itself. We need high energies, high speeds, and exotic environments to experimentally prove anything. If you limit yourself to think only wihin the realm of what you can test, physics would stagnate.

>> No.9826667

>>9826538
lol I actually almost paid for that shit once. First she pawned me off onto some poor grad who had no idea wtf I was talking about. Then she herself failed to understand my theory and couldn't offer any real advice one way or another. At least she didn't charge me for it.

...that was back before I understood how bad things actually are

>>9826500
but despite that and her terrible music i actually kind of appreciate the premise of this book, not like she's actually gonna do anything besides bitch about it, but i guess that's what females are good at *shrug*

>> No.9826693

>>9826567
this
also they usually get wasted on bullshit cash-grab projects that never get completed. So they spend 5-10yrs working on retarded projects that constantly get disrupted due to random deadlines and dodgy """"entrepreneurs"""". And this is what they're calling 'innovation' these days.

>> No.9826717

>>9826500
>Is Theoretical Physics Wasting Our Best Living Minds On Nonsense?
No, theoretical physicists do waste their time on nonsense, but they're mediocre minds at best. They use impenetrable math to fence out actually useful people who might make some progress, so they can enjoy secure employment despite producing nothing of value.

>> No.9826726

>>9826717
Sounds like modern mathematicians, too

>> No.9826801 [DELETED] 

>>9826538
>The book is a shallow attempt to perpetuate a pop-sci stereotype without actually having to do anything

Then prove your theories are correct experimentally. Otherwise don't easily dismiss people that think your theories are correct without evidence.

>> No.9826803

>>9826538
>The book is a shallow attempt to perpetuate a pop-sci stereotype without actually having to do anything

Then prove your theories are correct experimentally. Otherwise don't easily dismiss people that don't buy your theories without evidence.