[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 38 KB, 381x353, 1525367104758.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9825070 No.9825070 [Reply] [Original]

>start studying science in late 20s

>go to adult high school

>literally give it my all: study every day, read the textbook, do every question, try to understand the concepts instead of just rote memorizing formulas even if it slows me down. Literally never tried like this in my life, was always an underachiever as a kid

>exam time comes

>literally leave my sheet blank for application questions

Just LOL! So this is what it's like to be a retard. All I wanted was to study physics but this course had shown me that I am too stupid. I am literally the 30 year old boomer meme. I bet the teacher is dosgusted seeing people like me, who are obviously too stupid to go to university, even try to take a place from a more deserving 18 year old who hasn't wasted his potential.

>> No.9825073

>>9825070
>not just practicing problems before

>> No.9825080

>>9825070
sad, check out the catalog for ways to increase IQ threads

>> No.9825111

>>9825080
I always thought all the comments about how trying to get into STEM when you're older is pointless or that you need an IQ of 120 was just trolling but I'm starting to realize it's all true. I am literally biologically incapable of abstract thinking and problem solving. I always used to give up on things I tries as a kid after deciding I was bad at them without even trying. Now though, I put in effort like I never have before and I embarassed myself. It's safe to say that I didn't waste my potential when I was young, because as it turns out, I never had any to begin with.

>> No.9825123

describe the application problems and how you fucked up.

>> No.9825147

>>9825070
Why couldn't you understand the application questions?

>> No.9825151

>>9825123
There was one about a particle going through a mass spectrometer. The distance it travels through the velocity selector is given, as well as mass, charge, and B field. First part of the question was asking for the E field but I needed the speed to calculate it. Another question was some special relativity question but I again couldn't even start because speed wasn't given but a table of values of different speeds was given. These kind of questions weren't even in the textbook and we never did them in class. Maybe if I wasn't in an exam with limited time I could have figured them out... this is just pathetic. I should have been able to solve at least one. I really am just too fucking stupid to study science. Too bad I told my boss I was leaving work to study next year. Not only will I not be going to uni, but I'll also never get a raise again if I stay because my boss will know I am not reliable.

>> No.9825155

>>9825147
Because I am a drooling retard.

>> No.9825164

>>9825151
How did other people do on the test? Will you pass the exam? Are you going to consider the community-college-then-transfer strategy?

>> No.9825190

>>9825164
1. The test was challenging for other people too and no one expected to be able to do the relativity question. On the other hand, I didn't expect to be unable to do the electromagnetism questions.

2. There is no community college transfer option here. There are no science programs that you can do in college, only technical programs. In fact, I have already been to college and graduated. If I wanted to go to university to study he same thing I studied in college (architecture) I wouldn't get any credits. I would have to start from scratch.

>> No.9825193

I've always felt im retarded, but my friends and teachers call me a god in maths and physics. Never taken an IQ test before but bet it's shit.

>> No.9825200
File: 62 KB, 633x758, 1529408694018.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Reads like OP is LARPing.

If you are actually serious:
Anyway, just analyze why you did bad. In the end it comes down you much experience you have and had with the application, coming down to practise. I have seen people in their end 20's/beg. 30's that did VERY well in STEM. The top 3 people in most of our courses were in that age.

It doesn't hurt to speak with 1-2 people in your course which do well all the time too how they do approach studying and problems. But to put blame on your age is just distracting from your real problem. You better find out what it is and improve on that if you want to improve over all that is.

>> No.9825206

>>9825070

stop calling yourself a retard anon, I go to a top uni in the US and run into all sorts of morons, GSI's included.

Just change your studying habits.

>cringe incoming
>>Preview/Take good notes in lecture/Reinforce
>>Don't be complacent
>>Take practice tests in a test setting

Also, self-deprecation won't fly after your 30, maybe when you're around 25, but not 30. You're basically an adult now, but it's never too late to get a proper education.

>> No.9825313

Thought I failed probability in my first year because I thought I brainleted q1 up and then kept recycling that in my head - turned out I literally only got that question wrong (3 marks out of 100)

>> No.9825315

>>9825070
>I bet the teacher is dosgusted seeing people like me, who are obviously too stupid to go to university, even try to take a place from a more deserving 18 year old who hasn't wasted his potential.
teachers love people like you
18 year olds are retards and annoying

>> No.9825937

>>9825070
90% of people consider themselves to have above average IQ

>> No.9825949

you have to understand that the stuff on exams is hyper easy mega beginner mode. it's like running half a mile of a marathon.

the secret to stem is practicing problems until you recognise what the person who wrote the problem is testing for and you can unpack it and display the ability to understanding what the answer will look like before you even begin working on it. very smart people can do this with only one or two practice sets before they realise the concepts and can solve any problem in their sleep. dumb people never begin to understand what the question is really asking, and because they haven't spent the time doing 100s of problem sets they are just confused on what to do.

it's almost always a 2 to 5 step process, very mundane and boring once you understand it. if you don't understand the process, it might as well be magical writing that summons demons. if you are a low tier idiot you have to practice hundreds and hundreds of near identical problems until you realise the algorithmic steps in solving them.

the theory is almost irrelevant, you just need to practice. it's like anything else, repetition, repetition, repetition. you could skip 99% of the lectures and classes and just do problems. the dedication required for you to become a mediocre scientist will crush you emotionally, when you finally get there and some 15 year old kid with 1% of the effort will always be ahead of you because they can not only grasp the method but improve it and make independent discoveries. but to the normie they wont be able to tell the difference between you and a real genius, so you can still act superior. but deep down you will know you're just a lowly worm.

>> No.9825962

>>9825070
26yo boomer here. I've felt this way many times, but never as much as when I failed my thermodynamics exam, got something like 45%. After a week or so of self-hating I went through the exam with a cool head and tried to understand and figure out how I should have approached each question. I didn't need to work on my actual knowledge as much as my problem-solving skills. That seems to be your problem too given that you said you've never learned in your younger years. After going through the exam and doing some practice questions with a more methodical approach I did the re-exam and scored 100%.
Stop this self-destructive behaviour and make a challenge out of your failure instead. This is just the beginning of your education, don't expect to be good at it from the start, it will take you at least a couple of years. Enjoy the ride.

>> No.9825970

>>9825070
Nice blog faggot. Delete this shit and kill yourself. Nobody wants to read this crap.

>> No.9825986

>>9825206
This Op. I have friends who have gone to Ivy League schools and high tier universities and you would be surprised by how many idiots who are probably dumber than you go to these “elite smart kid schools”. If you are not genuinely extra chromosome retarded then you are just as capable as 90% of everyone else and you just need time and effort to learn what you need to do what you want. Especially when you first start out because the transition to abstract thinking is hard for most people.

>> No.9826146

>>9825070
just go on
don't neglect practice questions next time, they can sometimes give you a new persective on the abstract material

>> No.9826182
File: 255 KB, 594x392, 1529354447327.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9825949
D-Delet it