[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 3 KB, 114x127, lol wut.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
981285 No.981285 [Reply] [Original]

So, /sci/, answer me something.

From physics, we know that we can never touch something according to the definition of touch. Touch does not happen. It doesn't real, you might even go as far as to say.
So, with that established, how the fuck do germs transmit when something is placed on another something?

As an example, meat. If meat is placed on a surface, it transfers dangerous germs.

But, if it doesn't touch it, how can the germs transfer?

This may well go into very complex definitions of touch, and/or multiple meanings of touch.
So, TL;DR, How can germs transfer between objects when, in fact, objects do not touch?

>> No.981298
File: 121 KB, 650x475, 1269051348692.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, so here's a novelty image.

>> No.981302
File: 153 KB, 600x450, stoner-791927.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

how can i hug a tree and feel it if i cant touch things?

>> No.981305

>>981298
Well, going by the actual definition of touch, it never happens.

So, how do germs transfer by what we'd call 'touch'?

>> No.981310
File: 2 KB, 126x95, Whut.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Whut?

>> No.981316

>>981305

Germans don't touch either.

>> No.981320

Please explain your definition of touch please.

>> No.981321

>>981320
One second. I link you to wikipedia.

>> No.981343

Because even germs are fucking huge compared to atoms.That and most of an atom is free space.

>> No.981350

>>981321
No link required, just explain.
It's obvious you want to discuss cross contamination, you're just going a strange way about it.

>> No.981368

>>981350
Ok.

Basically, touch doesn't happen. It is impossible. Touch is defined as two things pressing against each other, or something.

But that can't happen, because of atoms, (Can't find whatever I was reading, sorry)

What I mean is, seeing as touch doesn't happen, how do germs spread through physical contact?

>> No.981375

bump

>> No.981386

>>981368

The way I see it is that because of how close the two objects are that the germs and bacteria maybe able to move from one object to another. That is my explanation for it.

>> No.981391

>>981368
In that case, the meat is of close enough proximity to the counter to leave behind trace residue.
Case dismissed, next please.

>> No.981395

>>981386
So... they can jump? Hmm. Interesting.
Like head-lice, I guess. But not like head-lice.

>> No.981436

>>981395

Well kinda. You have to understand that these things are alive even though they are incredibly small. They should be able to move as they please. Also for example, when meat is placed on a surface, juices and other residue may fall off it and onto the surface, carrying the germs or bacteria with it. So even though the meat and the surface did not "touch" there will still be residue from being in such close proximity to each other.

>> No.981463

You must have a different definition of touch than I do. According to my definition, I touch stuff all the time.

I know what you are hinting at, but the question is stupid. Germs don't care about the definition of "touch". Germs are several orders of magnitudes larger than the smallest distance between the skin and the surface which they are on. They just "jump" the distance of 1nm, you know.

>> No.981475
File: 14 KB, 374x300, 4618625.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>981285
>it doesn't real

>> No.981499

>>981395
It would be like you were "jumping" over a 1mm (1/17th of an inch or whatever) gap in the ground. You wouldn't even notice.

>> No.981565

protip,they transfer to other bodies through liquid amounts so small you have no idea they are there.the reason the liquid is there is to transfer nutrients to your cell.

>> No.981577

>>981285
"touch never happens" is true at an atomic scale where two atoms never touch even if pushed together, they just come to rest at whatever equilibrium distance. Germs are MONUMENTALLY bigger than atoms, though, and pretty much live in (and experience) the same world we do; where objects have surfaces and substances have distinct qualities like state.

OP may as well ask how you can paint a picture when, technically speaking, the paint molecules don't actually come into contact with the paint pot, the brush, OR the canvas.

>> No.981667

>>981368
What is a "thing"? What is "pressing"? It is possible that things such as solid object, on a sub-atomic or fundamental level, are just constructs.

"Touch" means when two surfaces get close enough that mutual electrical repulsion prevents the two surfaces from moving through each other. You can define the interaction of raw meat and counter top this way. Or raw meat/bacterium, or bacterium/counter top. But our conventional idea of "touch" works perfectly fine to convey the idea of cross-contamination in a practical way.

Just because "touch" isn't fundamentally possible doesn't mean that it's safe to handle raw chicken.

>> No.981673

what do you think germs are, OP?
sub-atomic? Think of germs like really small ants or something. They're organisms, too. They just crawl their asses onto you and into you and fuck up your shit.