[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 38 KB, 381x353, 1525254911919.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9767495 No.9767495 [Reply] [Original]

What's the point of going into STEM when you're an oldfag if you won't be able to get a job doing what you love because of age discrimination?

And why is elitism so rampant in STEM anyway? It seems like the general attitudes are the same: 1) you have to be born "special" and if you're not exceptional, you are shit 2) everything depends on your IQ (see point one) and if your IQ isn't above average, you are worthless and 3) you need to be studying science every waking moment of your life from the moment you learn to talk; if you start after age 25 (more like are 15 though) then your brain has literally calcified and you will never be a scientist.

>> No.9767498

>>9767495
how about you just do what you want?

>> No.9767502

>>9767498
That's kind of the issue though. It's not just that people are being jerks about it; it's that the disdain translates into the workplace where oldfags will get invariably discriminated against in the job market because employers want hip young people who grew up with their faces planted in a smartphone screen because somehow that makes them more "technologically inclined".

>> No.9767702

>>9767502
Sounds like you just have to do what you want my man. Don't sweat about it.

>> No.9767718

>>9767498
>>9767702
This. Don’t let elitism drive you away from pursuing truth. Even if you don’t get a career, knowledge is its own reward.

>> No.9767798

>>9767718
Thank you /sci/ for being so supportive. It’s posts like these that give me hope. Honestly.

>> No.9767851

>>9767495
half of the people I know who started learning stem at 15 are retards
half of the people I know who started learning stem at 25 are retards

honestly, people like a good story but the only shit that actually matters are your current skills.

>> No.9769965

Tfw brainlet

>> No.9770030

Craig Venter started university at around 25

quit making excuses you pussy you'll fail regardless because of your loser mentality, there's your excuse to not try.

>> No.9770047

>>9767495
>1) You have to be born "special"
The people who believe that are "special," as in they had extra help in school for their retardation.
>2) everything depends on your IQ
Read the book Outliers by Malcom Gladwell. To do very well, your IQ only needs to be a little above average, and the rest boils down to work. 125-130 and above can all achieve the same stuff.
>3) every waking moment
Bullshit. I was really good at English when I was younger, and was just decent at science. I didn't get into science until I started uni, and I am at the top of my class for both my majors.

>> No.9770096

>>9770047
> your IQ only needs to be a little above average, and the rest boils down to work.

Why, I could imagine a high IQ champion pissing all their spare time down a 4chan hole!

Seriously, it's not a competition. Study what you like, carve out a little place for yourself in the world and focus on what makes you happy.

Get to a point where you're not jealous of the life of anyone you know. Spend your time well, you'll be dead soon, and not a fucking scrap of what you do will matter to anyone else. Their opinion is irrelevant, and they're not thinking about you anyway.

Um, although if you're idea of fun is shooting up a school, don't take this advice.

>> No.9770109

>>9770096
> ...if you're idea...

(sorry for the stupid contraction)