[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 62 KB, 400x434, 1526474986282.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9744970 No.9744970 [Reply] [Original]

What do you use it for? How has it helped you?

>> No.9745692

>>9744970
Get a real job nigger.

>> No.9745717

>>9744970
memorizing how many niggers ive stomped

>> No.9747193
File: 82 KB, 1536x2048, Screenshot_20180517-025928.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9744970
I've used it to ace every class I've taken in uni. People legit believe I have a photographic memory. It's basically God mode. I have it installed on the tablet here but I only use it on my desktop.

>> No.9747195

>>9747193
what kind of cards do you set up? are they detailed or just flash tier?

>> No.9747204

>>9747195
At first I started out with regular flash cards but then I started making them reversible where the answer was in the form of a question and vice versa for both sides. Then I moved to cloze deletions but found those mostly only useful when I couldn't come up with a good "regular" card.
There's a fantastic add-on called image occlusion that makes it super easy to take a diagram and make a bunch of cards from it by masking different parts and challenging yourself to recall what you masked.
The best way I've found to make cards is I get a pdf version of my textbook, import it in GIMP (it comes up as a bunch of images but is much less unwieldy than it sounds), then as I go through the material, I just cut it out of the book. The real power of this technique is if an earlier part of the book is particularly difficult, I can skip over it and it'll always be there for me to come back to when I'm ready. After going through 2 or 3 times to tie up all the loose ends, the whole thing is in my deck and memorized.
Some people may say, "oh, you're just memorizing, you aren't understanding." This is bullshit sour grapes though. By memorizing the material, I give my subconscious mind the ability to work on the information with full fidelity. Sometimes I'll go through my cards and upon seeing one, I'll be struck with a new profound insight and I just make a new card from that.
I highly recommend everybody use spaced repetition. I have a certain conceit that this or some early version of the idea may have been Von Neumann's secret. Just a thought.

>> No.9747214
File: 81 KB, 337x376, yum.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9747204
I merely mirror sensory data in the form of iconic memory. When encountering new information, I find how it pieces together with at least one thing I know and use that as a hyperlink. It does get confusing after a too many things are stitched up, so I use mnemonics at that point. How do you keep your flash cards on people? Do you have a kind of working memory with key information that you write into a flash card later or what?

>> No.9747217

>>9747204
do you mask diagrams or portions of the text too to try and repeat it?

>> No.9747222

>>9747214
I'm not completely sure on what you're asking but as far as people go, I only really make cards for discrete facts like birthdays, phone numbers, etc. I mostly use spaced repetition for more academically oriented stuff.
>>9747217
Diagrams mostly. Masking the text is basically cloze completion and I really try to stay away from that as I find it inferior to forcing myself to give the open ended answers required for a flash card. The difference mostly boils down to a cloze completion being very akin to straight up rote memorization. They're inherently inflexible as you are memorizing a precise order of words. Flash cards require you to think and actually pull complete ideas from memory and that's the part that can jog the on the spot profound related insights that I find Anki so useful for.
The main reason to mask diagrams is it gives you another way to conceptualize the information and a better chance for it to stick in your mind and be usable. Really, that's the point of all this. Of course, you want to make good grades but you want the information to ultimately be applicable. If you have it in a form you can recite with the cards and cloze deletion but also in a form that you can see in your mind with that diagram, it just makes the complete picture and understanding become something easily accessible in your mind. The information becomes a "part" of you rather than just something extrinsic you learned.

>> No.9747231

>>9747214
So I'm reading over what you wrote and I think I'm getting a clearer picture here. The answer to what details are important enough to memorize are very much something you have to discover and are bound to your circumstances and how you experience the world. Just make some cards based on what you think is important. Anki is the kind of thing that is very simple yet very complex and subtle at the same time. It's different for everybody and that part of it is hard to explain. It will reveal itself as you gain experience using it. Do it for a couple of years and you'll see what I mean.

>> No.9747394

>>9747222
Could you post some examples of your cards?

>> No.9747406

It's useful for demonstrating netwon's 3rd law of semen liquifaction, that semen does indeed liquify quicker in a gay anus than on a woman's breasts/