[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 342 KB, 1128x888, physicist-piana.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9719811 No.9719811 [Reply] [Original]

Can you tell me what the scientific community currently knows about quantum mechanics?

We live in a world where news about Kim Kardashian are printed to the general public but we're kept in the dark about scientific research. I'm an IQ 100 white trash but I still have a desire to know what's going on.
I've been watching Youtube documentaries about double slit experiments, fotons teleporting and quantum entanglement.
I get the feeling all this has been explained already since the phenomena are pretty old and common knowledge, but since I'm not a scientist I can't search the web for the proper terms because I don't know them.

For example, why does light appear to be particles in one situation and waves in another? Back in the day they used to have a few competing theories for this like the superposition theory where some kind of wave function collapses. No idea what that even means though.

>> No.9719821

>>9719811
nobody knows why it can act like a wave and a particle. schrodinger's cat comes from a joke about the current theory as to how it acts like a wave and a particle.
in other news quantum mechanics hasn't been linked with general relativity and the standard model has been proven and is currently wrong

>> No.9719824

>>9719821

The particle can't know that we're detecting it. It just can't.

>> No.9719831

>>9719824
assuming you're not being sarcastic it's more the act of interacting with it than knowing we're looking at it

>> No.9719846

>>9719831

But why does detecting have such an impact on the particle?

>> No.9719848
File: 843 KB, 1275x817, rykakoo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If I see a convincing trap, I perceive it as a girl, even though actually it's a guy. When I hear the truth, I start perceiving it as a guy.
Was the trap ever in a superposition of being both?

>> No.9720030

>>9719821
Nobody ever though the standard model was correct in the ultimate sense to begin with, idiot.

>> No.9720031

>>9719811
>why does light appear to be particles in one situation and waves in another
Its not just light, its everything. No one knows why.
>theory where some kind of wave function collapses
Physics is very straightforward in this sense, because we observe wave like characteristics we use the relevant equations. The same equations that describe waves in any medium. Wave function collapse is just a method of modeling probability, when the function collapses you get a definitive outcome. Prior to that its all possible outcomes with some degree of certainty assigned to each.

If you want to self educate start with some YT videos like 3 blue 1 brown, sixty symbols, numberphile, read the wikipedia pages and then think about getting into some real literature which you can find in the /sci/ wiki in the sticky. Just so you are completely clear though QM cant be intuited like classical mechanics so even to have a broad understanding you are going to need mathematical knowledge.