[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 22 KB, 485x443, ijj1aSW.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9708427 No.9708427 [Reply] [Original]

Help a retard out please. The way I understand the universe there are the 3 dimensions that we can see and then a fourth related to time and gravity which is like a pinching and pulling or pushing direction away our 3D perspective that we can't see for some reason. Movement in the 4th dimension is what causes what we call gravity and why gravitational lensing exists.
This also leads me to believe that light isn't affected by time because it can seemingly traverse the 4th dimension, except for black holes, instantly explaining its wavelike property and why we can only see the particle properties since we can only see in 3D.

Is there any basis to my ideas or else what resources should I use to understand this concept better without getting a degree in physics?

>> No.9708436

Sounds good to me, certainly about as reasonable as what most physicists suggest. Write a book.

>> No.9708453

No, in general relativity 3D space + time are united into a 4D manifold, and mass/energy is what causes the manifold to curve, creating the effect of gravity.

>> No.9709160
File: 14 KB, 300x176, Getimage.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9708436
Yeah it does to me aswell. Before someone boasts up to an endless argument only Einstein can dissprove i must say. OP you know enough but when it comes to black holes and dark matter and stuff we honestly don't really know so science and religion is almost the same thing at the end of it. Things can get ignored but never forgotten. Ignorance is fucking bliss isn't it. Cannot say it more well done OP. Nice pic btw.

>> No.9709179

>>9709160
black holes and those types of things are as religious as pure math is. they're based on axioms of general relativity just like math is

>> No.9710164

>>9708427
>and then a fourth related to time and gravity
no thats utter bollocks

>> No.9710168
File: 1.09 MB, 642x900, Newfags want us to believe.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9708427
>wojak poster is a retard and probably a newfag as well

>> No.9710174
File: 35 KB, 720x405, CUBE___Einstein_serious.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9708427
What you need to look at is the 4-velocity. It is a strange property of the universe that it is always normalized to the speed of light. Therefore, if your 3-velocity increases, your 1-velocity (the rate of that others think time is passing for you) needs to decrease accordingly. From this normalization are derived the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

So you start at rest, moving only through time. Your 4-velocity is the speed of light. Then you start moving around relative to someone watching you, so that your 3-velocity is no longer zero. To maintain the normalization of the 4-velocity required for some reason by the universe, your 1-velocity has to "dilate." You are always still in your own reference frame, and that is why you always have the same rate of proper time. When move relative to others, your time "dilates" relative to their proper time.

>> No.9711847

>>9710174
This. Good explanation imo