[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 138 KB, 1042x1042, 1524345290403.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9690269 No.9690269 [Reply] [Original]

What is your opinion on this /sci/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=29s&v=EFwa5Owp0-k

>> No.9690281

>>9690269

Good video, I watch the guy anyway, his videos are pretty cool

>> No.9690332
File: 1.67 MB, 440x334, 1519334553277.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9690269
Watched your video because Riko is cute. CUTE!

That guy did very well for most of the video, making an effective and convincing economic argument (though this might be positive bias on my part since I'm already predisposed to economic thinking).
But near the end, he starts advertising for his(?) platform, completely ruining the ethos of his argument.
When the force of his persuasion appeals to society's greater interest (replete with the obligatory castigation of narrow interests that seek to concentrate technological power) the shift to advocacy of personal interests (signalled by the increased frequency of use of second-person pronouns) is jarring and undermines the credibility of his earlier points. Selfless ethos and selfish pathos just leaves me distrusting his apparent intentions and wanting to ask him: cui bono?

Suggestion for improvement: separate your(?) societal advocacy videos from your personal advertising videos. Using the former as bait to coerce people into viewing the latter is creepy behaviour that turns off many potential viewers who would have otherwise watched them of their own volition (which is ultimately what you want, as they are naturally the most likely group to support your product). This is not the way to establish trust and rapport with your audience.

>> No.9690339

Well, obviously the point isn't that we should expect that every single human should be a proficient coder, in the same way someone who can read or write is not expected to be a complete master of language, but to have skills that are applicable in lofe and the marketplace. But reading and writting can be picked up without a lot education and you will learn how to communicate no matter how shit your education is. It's obviously an exaggeration, but what should we teach in schools? Most people who do shit not related to math in some way, forget almost everything besides basic arithemtic procedures and some algebra, so math should be an elective after primary school? What about history, science, art? He never made clear exactly what should be something everyone should know, or be exposed compered to electives. He only puts meme classes which can be useful, but are not readily the most important subject for some people. Critical thinking? That's not a fucking class, but something that good teachers ask for in whatever class they are. Doing essays, solving problems, discussion are just methods of teaching, but he seriously expects any kid will take seriously a class for thinking? I had something like that and it was just everyone fucking around, but other teachers that had active discussions, and encouraged analysis and comprehension of the topics were much more important for my development I believe. There are already computing or tech classes in general, but any retatd with a computer knows how to save a document, so what we should have is more advanced shit considering how easy most computers are to use right now. It's an academic exposition to something that is in a lot of fields, so there is much more pragmatic value than having to do an essay on huck finn, and his argument is all about what people need. The thing is that school is academic, so the real question is that if yould everyone should enjoy knowledge just for the sake of it?

>> No.9690350

>>9690269
>it's too difficult for everyone to learn
git gud