[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 84 KB, 800x800, jellyfish brainlet wojak.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9630491 No.9630491 [Reply] [Original]

Do you believe in free will?

If you believe in free will, can you prove that you have free will?

>> No.9630498
File: 140 KB, 1600x1120, DeterminismXFreeWill.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Some people do not have free will but some do (and some have more than others). Hence some people are actually predestined to argue that free will does not exist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_will#Scientific_approaches
https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/free-will-open-scientific-problem

>> No.9630501

Define free will

>> No.9630505

>>9630491
>If you believe in free will, can you prove that you have free will?
What would adequate proof look like to you?

>> No.9630513

>>9630505
>What would adequate proof look like to you?
I don't know.

You would somehow have to show that a person is in control of their own decisions.
basically like the choices we make are not something like a ball rolling down a hill.

>> No.9630516
File: 4 KB, 240x240, dog cool.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The truth about the "Free Will or not" argument is that it is based on something totally unverifiable and pointless.

If humans do have free will, then at no point will science be able to show why or how in an ordered universe.

If humans do not have free will, then no amount of machines or measuring will be able to figure out how reality is predetermined due to both the observer effect and the fact that the incredible complexity in HOW things are predetermined would be too difficult to calculate or understand in any real way.

The entire discussion of free will itself is a farce. It is totally irrelevant.

>> No.9630517

>>9630491

I used to. I don't now...well, there is free will but it's not what or how you think.

>> No.9630523

>>9630516
>If humans do have free will, then at no point will science be able to show why or how in an ordered universe.
[citation needed]

>> No.9630525

>>9630513
>You would somehow have to show that a person is in control of their own decisions
Sounds like you were born without free will

>> No.9630526

the only people who claim (in bad faith, really) that there is no free will are those who are disappointed with their poor life choices/decision making ability

>> No.9630530

>>9630491
Free will is a meaningless concept.
https://www.lesswrong.com/posts/Mc6QcrsbH5NRXbCRX/dissolving-the-question

>> No.9630533
File: 606 KB, 1416x1600, brainlet.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9630530
>lesswrong

>> No.9630726

>>9630491
I like your picture. I thought we had exhausted the creativity of the brainlets

>> No.9630737

>>9630530
You can say you don’t believe in free will but I despise people who act like it’s a bad question because it invalidly presupposes some self defined epistemology.

>> No.9630738

>>9630491
Yes

>> No.9630745

>>9630526
>le blank slate meme
You are a retard. At no point in your life did you will your own will, nor did you choose what physical appearance, cognitive capacity and general disposition you were given at birth.

>> No.9630769

>>9630737
Dude he actually takes lesswrong seriously. He's a moron

>> No.9630795

>>9630769
You have all this free will to choose any argument you want, yet this is the one you post?

>> No.9631241

>>9630513
For any conclusion there must be a hypothesis made beforehand to avoid hindsight bias

>Guy walks through door and into T-corridor
>Can either turn left, turn right, or not move in any clear direction for a certain amount of time
>All factors of each dimension of the corridor's paths are controlled for perfectly
>It is therefore entirely up to the individual to choose what to do next

I assume that the experiment here would be set in a way in which a prediction beforehand would be in place to dictate the guy's movement/decision/free-will based on a number of internal psychological factors.
A clear hypothesis prevents you from saying "we knew this happened because of x" regardless of any actual behavior that finally occurs.

We cannot prove free-will because we do not know each and every factor of a person or entity's decision-making process.
It is most accurate to say that disproving free-will is the ultimate goal of behavioral psychology research.

>> No.9631381

>>9630491
nah
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroscience_of_free_will#Neuronal_prediction_of_free_will

>> No.9631626

There is will, not free or unfree.

>> No.9631676

The universe itself is not deterministic, although you could choose to believe in a multiverse in which case everything that possibly can happen does happen and so there is no 'choice'; everything happens.

At a higher level, humans are very simple and easily manipulated without even realising. So much of what you do is automatic.

>> No.9631729

That depends entirely on how what you mean by "free will".

If by "free will" you mean that we are free to make our decisions for ourselves, then yes it does exist.

If by "free will" you mean that our decisions are free from the influence of external factors, then no it doesn't exist, not even if we have souls. It is an utterly absurd notion.

>>9631381
I've seen many experiments of the same type brought up before by people who claim that the results disprove free will, but they only disprove free will in the latter of the two definitions I gave.

The problem with all these experiments is that they task the test subject with making an utterly trivial "choice".

Because there is no reason whatsoever to consciously prefer to press a button (or whatever other purposeless task the people who designed the experiment come up with) at any given moment over any of the other thousands of possible moments, the task of deciding when to act is passed down to subconscious mental processes, with the conscious mind simply giving the go-ahead to whatever the subconscious mind decided, which it will always do because it has no reason to reject the impulse.

What these experiments actually prove is that certain types of "choices" are made with little if any conscious input, not that all choices are made this way.

>> No.9632814

>>9631676
Sure the universe isn't deterministic, due to quantum particles appaering randomly and such.

However. That doesn't mean that we have free will.