[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 39 KB, 500x442, 1390477535199.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9592040 No.9592040 [Reply] [Original]

The boom of science has left philosophy under-appreciated. Without practicing philosophy, we can't even know if we exist. We can't estimate what we are, we can't estimate what our experiences are, we know what exists for certain, we can't estimate whether we only exist right now and then get wiped away into nothingness. All questions of science are a mere distraction for the bored mind if we can't understand the value they and the things made possible by them provide to us.

Science is practical and easy to model objectively, but it should not overshadow philosophy, it should always be second to philosophy when discussing the fundamental questions of life.

>> No.9592065
File: 131 KB, 900x900, cat phi.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9592040
>The boom of science has left philosophy under-appreciated

No, the boom of science killed philosophy. The only reason analytical philosophy was made was because the English were too stubborn to admit Leibniz invented calculus and use his methods. Once they got over Newton, philosophy was dead forever.

>> No.9592080

>>9592040
No, that's really dumb. kys

>> No.9592090

>>9592065
The value of science rests on fundamental assumptions of philosophy. Is science real, does it bear any value? If yes, you need philosophy to prove that. If no, you accept that nothing subjective bears any value, and subsequently neither does anything in science. If you think subjective experience in general has no value, you should have no problem killing yourseld. An even more ridiculous proposition would be to discuss subjective experience altogether.

>>9592080
Thanks for playing, champ

>> No.9592979

Let's hear some arguments for why it's more important to know speed of light or the mass an electron than to know whether you exist

>> No.9592994

>>9592040
>DO WE EXIST EXISTENCE EXISTING WE EXIST DO WE KNOW IF WE EXIST EXISTENCE EXIST???
This is not philosophy. Philosophy seeks to understand many things in life, so that we can reach greater heights. It has a physical result. Conclusions that are to our benefit.
A bunch of bullshit about how we exist but not really but actually yes but not exactly is not beneficial in any way.

>> No.9592995

>>9592994
is posting working still?

>> No.9593000

>>9592995
>is posting working still?
Is this a modern philosophical question?

>> No.9593004

>>9592994
It's metaphysics‚ which is philosophy.
>Philosophy seeks to understand many things in life, so that we can reach greater heights. It has a physical result.
did you stroke out here?

>A bunch of bullshit about how we exist but not really but actually yes but not exactly is not beneficial in any way.
Beneficial to what? What is it to be beneficial if you don't know the single first thing about what you're doing, what you are or whether the thing you're exploring exists or not? These all claims about physics mattering rest on the assumption that anything in your life matters. If nothing mattered, you'd have no reason to continue doing anything, unless you admit that your self exists and the feelings it experiences matter. And at that point you've admitted that the exploration of the self and the things related to it is useful since your goals in life rest on those concepts.

>> No.9593010

>>9593000
The site has been down for like 10 minutes is it back up?

>> No.9593014

>>9593010
No, you're all in my head

>> No.9593021

>>9593004
>did you stroke out here?
what?
>Beneficial to what?
To myself.
>What is it to be beneficial if you don't know the single first thing about what you're doing
Surviving.
> what you are or whether the thing you're exploring exists or not?
If it allows me to reach conclusions that allow me to survive better then it doesn't matter if it's an illusion or not.
>If nothing mattered, you'd have no reason to continue doing anything
If nothing mattered to me, or a species, then I/it would die off.
>unless you admit that your self exists and the feelings it experiences matter.
That's the default choice.
>And at that point you've admitted that the exploration of the self and the things related to it is useful since your goals in life rest on those concepts.
No because it's the default. There is no exploration or philosophic thought here because it's the default.

>> No.9593041

>>9593021
You were talking about philosophy and physical results

>To myself.
Oh yeah? What's this myself? Why is science beneficial to it and what determines this beneficiality?
>Surviving.
Why is survival important to you when you've never even thought whether you exist anywhere outside of now? Why is survival a value in itself?
>If nothing mattered to me, or a species, then I/it would die off.
So what? Why should that happening bear some kind of meaning?
>That's the default choice.
One you seem to be aggressive against questioning
>No because it's the default. There is no exploration or philosophic thought here because it's the default.
Again, "the default". The default, as in enforced by who? Nobody said it's a default. If you never spend a single minute thinking about this, you can't know what "the default" is.

>> No.9593080

>>9593041
>philosophy and physical results
Are you implying they are mutually exclusive?
>Oh yeah? What's this myself?
Myself. My living body.
>Why is science beneficial to it and what determines this beneficiality?
Keeps me living longer, and hopefully my offspring as well.
>Why is survival important to you when you've never even thought whether you exist anywhere outside of now? Why is survival a value in itself?
Because if it weren't I would be dead.
>So what? Why should that happening bear some kind of meaning?
Because that's not surviving.
>One you seem to be aggressive against questioning
No I'm aggressive against bullshit. None of this bullshit has any benefit. You're just trying to flex your brain muscles over nothing. This is not philosophy because it offers no benefit. It does not come back to what matters.
>The default, as in enforced by who?
Living bodies.
> If you never spend a single minute thinking about this, you can't know what "the default" is.
I know it's the default because your bullshit is not the default for most of the living world. You ask someone off the street if they exist and if their motivations to survive matter then they'll tell you yes. The fact that we know it's important without thinking about it proves it's the default.

>> No.9593097

>>9592040
Unlike Philosophy, the Sciences answered many questions about the origin of life & universe.

Philosophy had more than 2000 years to answer deep questions. But Philosophy either come with bullshit contradictory answers or can't answer at all, letting the question open for centuries.

>> No.9593113

>>9593097
That's not true. Philosophy is completely solved but then some people don't accept logical answers and reopen the questions, making it appear that philosophy is pointless.

>> No.9593122

>>9593080
>Myself. My living body.
Do you think you're your body?
>Keeps me living longer, and hopefully my offspring as well.
Again, why does this matter? You haven't pointed out anything that lets us assume these things are desirable or that there's anybody persistent to desire them.
>Because if it weren't I would be dead.
And?
>Because that's not surviving.
So why is this a priority and a meaningful thing to you? Is it perhaps because of your personal experience? If you're not arguing against the existence of this phenomenon why are you arguing against anything exploring it? What makes you think you're working on the right assumptions when taking everything you feel at face value?
>No I'm aggressive against bullshit. None of this bullshit has any benefit. You're just trying to flex your brain muscles over nothing. This is not philosophy because it offers no benefit. It does not come back to what matters.
It does exactly come back to what matters - it answers exactly what matters. Without it, you can't know, you're just being blindly driven by your senses like a zombie.
>Living bodies.
Oh. How are those living bodies enforcing it?
>I know it's the default because your bullshit is not the default for most of the living world.
Calling a field of thought bullshit. You'll do great anon
>You ask someone off the street if they exist and if their motivations to survive matter then they'll tell you yes. The fact that we know it's important without thinking about it proves it's the default.
Because? Can your senses and intuition never be wrong? If every different moment of your existence is a different you, can you say it matters what you do now when a different you will soon take over?

>> No.9593186

>>9593122
>Do you think you're your body?
I am me, yes.
>Again, why does this matter?
Because dying is bad.
>You haven't pointed out anything that lets us assume these things are desirable or that there's anybody persistent to desire them.
Do you even believe in objectivity? How can I give you reasons for survival being desirable if you're just going to constantly ask why in circles? If nothing matters to you then why are YOU consuming resources that would be better left to everyone else. How about you tell me what you consider to be objectively good or bad. What matters to you?
>And?
And what? I would cease to be a living being. In the future I would not be here. All that dies does not live.
>So why is this a priority and a meaningful thing to you?
Because dying is bad.
> Is it perhaps because of your personal experience?
Implications that I'm unique in my beliefs? What?
>If you're not arguing against the existence of this phenomenon why are you arguing against anything exploring it?
What benefit is there to "exploring it"?
> What makes you think you're working on the right assumptions when taking everything you feel at face value?
Because it works, and I see no better alternative.
>Oh. How are those living bodies enforcing it?
Through the desire to live and not die.
>Calling a field of thought bullshit. You'll do great anon
Yes how dare I.
>Because? Can your senses and intuition never be wrong?
Sure they can. But we have to rely on them none-the-less.
> If every different moment of your existence is a different you, can you say it matters what you do now when a different you will soon take over?
Yes because the goal is to survive and not die. Unless you're telling me that I've already died.

>> No.9593234

>>9593113
How do I use philosophy to cure cancer or build a supersonic airliner? Oh right, all it can do is tell me I don't actually exist as a person. Fucking lol.

>> No.9593242

>>9593186
>I am me, yes.
Please no. Where in your brain are your emotions located? Can you inspect your emotions with physical tools? What do emotions look like? Do you look at a piece of brain tissue and say "look ma, there's some thoughts and emotions laying on the table"?
>Because dying is bad.
This is going back to "because I say so". Either you insist on these non-arguments or you have to come down to the level of dirty philosophers since having a view, any view, about this is philosophy.
>Do you even believe in objectivity?
I think it's highly likely
>How can I give you reasons for survival being desirable if you're just going to constantly ask why in circles? If nothing matters to you then why are YOU consuming resources that would be better left to everyone else. How about you tell me what you consider to be objectively good or bad. What matters to you?
Things matter to me because I've spent time thinking these questions and figured out most. I've reasoned why I must exist and what I approximately am. This lets me know what is meaningful to me, and it's basically the same thing as what intuition tells us - to experience pleasure. It's funny that you can come a full circle from ignorance to understanding and have your views become similar to what they were to begin with. But knowing what things are worth is great for a) my piece of mind b) the decisions I make. I'll post my model on the philosophy forum some time in the near future
>Implications that I'm unique in my beliefs? What?
Belief that you and your experiences exist
>What benefit is there to "exploring it"?
What I said above
>Because it works, and I see no better alternative.
The better alternative is to fully understand what you're dealing with and what implications your decisions bear, other than the superficial ones relayed to you by your senses and instincts

>> No.9593245

>>9593234
The premise is that you can't intuitively and blindly trust in things like "lol ofc I exist and of course it's me!" without first having a serious thought about it.

>> No.9593250

>>9593242
>to experience pleasure.
Yeah I'm done here.

>> No.9593251

>>9592040
philosophy is outdated in its purpose of explaining the world, but still feels it is relevant in areas where science/math explain things better, including why we act, or how we should act.

Evolutionary psychology, for example, describes why certain problems plague society way better than trying to think on the nature of man, for example.

At this point, all philosophy is really good for are questions that are ultimately meaningless because they don't have any useful expression (like questioning the nature of free will vs. determinism)

>> No.9593265

>>9593250
Yeah, it's definitely not that. It's to survive for no greater reason. You don't do everything in seek of pleasure at all, you do things regardless of whether they feel good or not, right? You seek net negative experiences as well?

>>9593251
You don't seem to realize this, but to say physical things are worthwhile is to already accept a certain philosophy. You seek pleasurable experiences through your appreciation of physics, don't you? In that case you should be able to not only prove that your physics works, but also that the meaning you assume really is there

>> No.9593269

>>9593265
Or, at least that there's good reason to expect the meaning to be there, as opposed to the alternative

>> No.9593273

>>9593265
>You don't seem to realize this, but to say physical things are worthwhile is to already accept a certain philosophy
you are illustrating exactly the point i'm getting at here

There is no philosophy that i can believe in that isn't going to make the world not-exist. If I reject the philosophy of science, the sun is still going to rise, energy is still going to equal the mass times the square of light-speed. All philosophy is good for, now, is splitting subjective hairs, looking for logical "gotcha!"s, which is exactly what you're doing.

>> No.9593283

>>9593273
It's funny that you believe in the objective world you only perceive through the distorted image of your senses more than the experiences you directly experience with absolute certainty. It doesn't matter where the sun rises unless you have a basic idea of the philosophical foundation you're building your values and beliefs on.

>> No.9593288

Just to add, refusing to accept or address these fundamental questions is to live your life in wilful ignorance and denial. This is the area science is also seeking to improve, yet for some reason philosophy is uncool and science is the new religion. They're both important, but refusing to acknowledge philosophy as the stepping stone to everything else is sheer ignorance.

>> No.9593293

>>9593265
>It's to survive for no greater reason.
We survive because the ones that did not are not living anymore. By process of elimination the ones that did not value survival, died, so only the ones that value survival are left.
> You don't do everything in seek of pleasure at all, you do things regardless of whether they feel good or not, right? You seek net negative experiences as well?
Correct, if they benefit my survival.

I fear I'm beginning to understand just how broken you are. I am sorry you are like this.

>> No.9593298

>>9592040
>has left philosophy under-appreciated.
only for brainlets.
I am learning formal logic and enjoying it very much, and am interested in taking serious metaphysics on the future

>> No.9593301

>>9593283
>It's funny that you believe in the objective world you only perceive through the distorted image of your senses
You entirely missed my point: the world is there REGARDLESS of whether or not I believe in it. There isn't any philosophy I can believe in that will ever make that not the case.

>> No.9593310

>>9593301
Prove it

>> No.9593315

>>9593293
>Correct, if they benefit my survival.
Because you seek to live as long as possible, because you want to experience as much net pleasure as you can. This is the base goal of any entity that experiences feelings, because such entities find these experiences intrinsically desirable for some fundamental reason.

>I fear I'm beginning to understand just how broken you are. I am sorry you are like this.
No need to be sorry for me, I enjoy arguing and have a healthy social life. I'm also capable of deeper introspection, something you clearly are pretty bad at

>>9593298
Cheers to another curious anon. It's funny, there are numerous respected scientists who have dabbled in and been sympathetic to philosophy. My most respected modern persona (Ed Witten) for example has had many interesting talks in philosophical areas as well. Yet the general public scoffs at philosophy. I guess this is the power of herd mentality and lack of critical thought.

>>9593301
You don't make arguments for any of that, you just assume it's so.

>> No.9593319

>>9592040
i find it crazy how a lot of people are just taught to do it and never why

>> No.9593320

>>9593315
>Yet the general public scoffs at philosophy. I guess this is the power of herd mentality and lack of critical thought.
I was like that too until not long ago. Then I matured.

>> No.9593325

>>9593310
>>9593315
there's nothing to prove, "the universe exists" is an axiom you must have if you want to have any meaningful discussion.

>> No.9593336

>>9593325
Actually, "I exist" is the first thing you need to prove to have any meaningful discussion. But let's not get into that again. All we need to know is that it all starts with subjective experience, since that's the only kind of existence you will ever directly perceive.

>> No.9593341

>>9593315
>Because you seek to live as long as possible, because you want to experience as much net pleasure as you can.
No, that's your motivation to survive.
>This is the base goal of any entity that experiences feelings, because such entities find these experiences intrinsically desirable for some fundamental reason.
Pleasure exists to reward us for behaviors that are beneficial to our survival, not the other way around.
>No need to be sorry for me, I enjoy arguing and have a healthy social life.
You have a broken leg as far as the race of all lifeforms goes. Your life revolves around pursuing pleasure instead of survival. You avoid negative things if they're negative, and pursue pleasure even if it costs your future genetic lines their lives.
> I'm also capable of deeper introspection
I'm sorry but your thought process is pretty simple. "Nothing matters except for pleasure, because pleasure has the only objective benefit". That's very simply and not deep.

>> No.9593349

>>9593336
as a logician, I must agree with the axiomatic approach. Not every sentence can be proven, and if we take the incompleteness theorems we will see that in the English language there will be propositions that can'd be proven, either.
You'd need some axioms for any philosophy if you are going to be serious (formal) about it, and "I exist" seems like a good choice for a first axiom.

Definetly an interesting point of view.

>> No.9593352

>>9593310
do you really need a proof if no one ever actually considers the converse, literally just try living your life believing that hunger, guns, cars and the cold aren't real and you'll be dead in a week

>> No.9593371

>>9593245
Yeah, but how do you use that to build a computer or power your car? In fact, if that's so much more valuable than science, then what can you do with it at all?

>> No.9593376

>>9593097
>the Sciences answered many questions about the origin of life & universe.
LOL
No they actually haven't, and they know they don't know, it's only those like you who think they do.

>> No.9593385

>>9592040
>Without practicing philosophy, we can't even know if we exist.
Practicing philosophy, can we?

>> No.9593391

>>9593341
>No, that's your motivation to survive.
What intrinsic value does survival hold? None. If you survive but enjoy none of it, you might as well have not survived. If you survive but experience horrible pain all the way through, your survival is a net negative. It's not survival that matters, it's net pleasure.
>Pleasure exists to reward us for behaviors that are beneficial to our survival, not the other way around.
It supposedly exists since evolution formed it that way, but from OUR perspectives it's the other way around. We consciously seek to exist to chase pleasure
>You have a broken leg as far as the race of all lifeforms goes. Your life revolves around pursuing pleasure instead of survival. You avoid negative things if they're negative, and pursue pleasure even if it costs your future genetic lines their lives.
Yes, I'm not a mindless entity whose only intention is to reproduce. But the thing is, I can spend time figuring out the value of things AND surviving, at the same time.

>>9593349
I absolutely agree, everything is based on axioms. The point of philosophy is to observe our minds and existence and try to break things into smaller pieces until we reach the level of fundamental axioms. Philosophy resembles science in many ways, and perhaps one day it can be formalized further. Contrary to what people claim, it has already made meaningful discoveries, such as the widely acknowledged proof that "you" must indeed exist. Your existence is somewhat of an axiom, but not really. How's this sound: you experience your experiences right now. Those experiences must exist, since they're directly experienced by you. Since you are experiencing these things, you must also exist. This circular structure of you and your experiences couldn't exist if either of them didn't, so clearly they both do. Otherwise this phenomenon couldn't be happening. This seems to me like an acceptable argument for your existence, even though it's somewhat circular logic.

>> No.9593396

>>9592040
oh boy...the problem I have with your kind of philosophy is it's so god damned stupid it's painful to read
it's also becoming a norm - blithering idiots spewing out false data, just like the science quacking we have going on
what has been destroyed is accuracy - from those claiming or carting upon - religionists, scientists, and philosophists, MASSIVE ERRORS ABOUND, and the numeration of fools willing to remove all doubt seems to increase exponentially

>> No.9593419

>>9593391
"i exist" can't be an axiom without first acknowledging that the world exists

>> No.9593420

>>9592040
The problem with you is that your mind cant comprehend how small we are, and yet how important humanity is in the grand scale. Try reading some cosmic horror from Lovecraft or Chambers and then think about metaphysics, how the mind molds reality. https://youtu.be/7uKu3f6HiBI

>>9592979
Oh come on, if you want to know wether you exist or not, you just gotta count how many rings your wood has.

>> No.9593429

>>9593391
I guess the "proof" should still be sound despite the recursivity, because these things are experienced from one subjective perspective instead of an objective one. If one tries to debate the existence of either you or your experiences, it can be shown that they're wrong since you are "inside" the proof and can always show that the other exists as long as you can rely on the other that clearly fundamentally exists. "My experiences don't exist - but since I'm experiencing them, they clearly must. I don't exist - but since I'm here experiencing these experiences, I clearly must".

If nothing else, this "proof" highlights how the existence of "I" must be a fundamental fact.

>> No.9593447
File: 63 KB, 625x855, dbb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Jaden Smith: 1, Science: 0

>> No.9593458

>>9593447
If a mirror falls in the woods and nobody sees it, does it make a sound

>> No.9593474

>>9593458
depends on your definition of a sound

>> No.9593490

>>9593429

Scientists already know they exist, that's not something they need to philosophise over. What they do need to philosophise about is what they consider scientific, and what they consider non-scientific.

They need to think far more critically and stop with the deifying of "scientists" and "science" because you know what that turns them into? A religion, and one without any of the good parts.

If you want to see what "science" looks like at the top level, then look ow further than those at CERN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW5gklIKcDg

>> No.9593491
File: 5 KB, 93x128, 1507730202606.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>natural philosophers of old: the arts and the sciences should coexist to create a more beautiful world, and it is also important to understand multiple fields of the arts and sciences to achieve a higher understanding of the world around us
>"scientists" today: hurr feelosophy is stupid science is the future :)
what happened?

>> No.9593496

>>9592040
Wow look at all these bites. Very nice bait op u r a masterbaiter for sure

>> No.9593504

>>9593491
>what happened?
We stopped using candles for light and horses for transportation, because as it turns out, asking ourselves "do we really exist?" for thousands of years didn't get us very far.

>> No.9593513

>>9593504
i love science neal degrass tysen is my hero

is math related to science btw?

>> No.9593520

>>9593391
>What intrinsic value does survival hold? None.
Collectively as far as lifeforms go, the value is the survival of all life. If you want to ask why and for what purpose life exists, then go for it.
>It's not survival that matters, it's net pleasure.
Unfortunate. Hopefully you mature from this some day.
>It supposedly exists since evolution formed it that way, but from OUR perspectives it's the other way around.
Evolution formed us this way back when we were far more primal. When the environment was far more hostile and death was far more common. We do not exist in that type of environment anymore. Our instincts, our pleasure triggers are no longer up-to-date. We must now consciously guide ourselves in the direction of survival through this new and foreign environment.
>Yes, I'm not a mindless entity whose only intention is to reproduce.
Mindless entities pursue pleasure. Conscious beings don't submit to their primal programming.
I'd like to point out that you seem to feel intellectual superior to the masses, and yet I'm not seeing how. You have the same motivations, the same ideas and backwards philosophy that the masses today have. You act like you've meditated on a mountain-top for half your life to come to this conclusion, but in reality you're just simplifying everything down as much as you can.

>> No.9593528

Can the philosophers in this thread name one result of philosophy that isn't just a shitty version of math or science?

>> No.9593532

>>9593528
Structuring and design of civilizations?

>> No.9593534

>>9593528
Smith's Mirrors Theorem >>9593447

>> No.9593536

>>9593513
>claims to be a philosopher
>can't produce actual arguments
So this is the true power of philosophy.

>> No.9593538

>>9592040
If you're trying to convince me that philosophy isn't a bunch of useless crap you're not doing a very good job.

>> No.9593540

>>9593536
didn't see you making any arguments either my man. philosophy and science are for different purposes

>> No.9593543

>>9593419
t. brainlet
this is babby tier cartesian phylosophy.
The world is something experienced, first comes the "I", then the rest (even if it does exist)

>> No.9593544

>>9593532
Basic game theory and optimization.

>> No.9593552

>>9593458
another thing so fucking stupid - 1st of all I'm standing there alone with my eyes closed, I didn't see it, but i heard it....
>didn't even state the premise correctly A FUCKING RETARD AGAIN

2. yes it makes sound, the air hasn't been removed from the forest by your imaginary pixie who ass fucks you at night
>HOW GOD DAMNED DUMB ARE YOU PEOPLE?

>> No.9593567

>>9593544
Wait did you mean traditional philosophy ie the study and exploration to understand all things, or modern philosophy "do you exist do we exist what is existence prove my penis isn't in your asshole right now"?

>> No.9593570

>>9593552
>getting this angry at a lame joke
n-nani?

>> No.9593595

Philosophy is what idiots learn to impress other idiots

>> No.9593599

>>9593528

Logic, meaning and purpose. Philosophy keeps you on track. If a car is science then the steering wheel AND the road is philosophy. You can drive off the road but at as long as the road is still there you can get back on it. But if the road isn't there any more it doesn't matter where you steer, you ain't going anywhere. That's where modern science is at, but it's slowly starting to change a bit now as people are getting tired of having no road to drive down.

>> No.9593609

applied philosophy is cool

>> No.9593614

>>9592040
Give yourself a good poke. Physically at least, you're all there.

>> No.9593633

>>9593599
Literally all of that can be expressed by math a lot better.

>> No.9593660

>>9593633

Mathematics is the logic of quantity, it's a part of the steering wheel, not the car.

>> No.9593710

>>9593660
Yes, and everything in the world is a quantity. Every philosophical problem is a math problem expressed poorly. Why would anyone want to do things in a shitty way when they could do them in a precise way?

>> No.9593751

>>9593710

But what you consider as "quantity" must have some kind of philosophical reasoning to it for it to have any meaning to you.

In science, if you can apply quantity to something, then it must exist physically, correct?

>> No.9593763

How many hotdogs does it take to kill an average man? Hard mode: not shooting the hotdogs.

>> No.9593825

>>9593763
prove hotdogs exist

>> No.9593842

>>9593528
Science is a method for making for making better and more useful tools and predictive models. But science doesn't actually make any statements about what we know to be true, just what we found to be more useful.

Philosophy is what tells us what we actually know and don't know about the universe. It's sad that its so ignored in today's society, science and politics could benefit a lot if people were stricter and more consistent in their philosophy. We would get rid of a lot of baseless "facts" that way.

Philosophy as a tool is way harder to apply and use than science though, so its also understandable.

>> No.9593851
File: 221 KB, 396x430, 1513877514784.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If philosophy rejects the scientific method, how can it prove anything? Wouldn't it just ask a bunch of pointless questions without any intention of ever answering them?

>> No.9593854

>>9593851
It doesn't reject it. It is just honest about what it can do.

>> No.9593860

>>9592040
99,9% of stemfags have absolutely no clue about philosophy, actually about anything at all, especially proper reasoning. They think they are so smart and then a baby introduction to philosophy and realize that they are drooling retards. It is quite amusing how drunk they are on intellectual pride just to realize they have been checkmated 2000 years ago, middle age philosophy is more than arcane magic for them and contemporary, its just unintelligible but not because of the authors, its the reader's inadequacy.

>> No.9593861

>>9593854
So nothing then, since it has no framework for proving or disproving statements.

>> No.9593864

>>9593860
Most STEM can't really comprehend anything but allocation of facts into a system.

Philosophy and Theology go directly against that notion.

>There will always be a divide, bae.

>> No.9593865

>>9593861
Logic and reason.

>> No.9593868

>>9593861
"Probably"

t. Theology

>> No.9593873

>>9593865
Without actual data you can construct equally valid arguments both for or against any position. So again, philosophy can accomplish nothing.

>> No.9593875

>>9593864
>Most STEM can't really comprehend anything but allocation of facts into a system.
They can barely comprehend their own sciences, it's why almost all of them end up being codemonkey brainlets. You can reduce them to just AI's,

>> No.9593881

>>9593873
Philosophy and science works together. As I said, philosophy doesn't reject science.

>> No.9593883
File: 73 KB, 960x824, 1491818050030.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The earth is flat. Prove me wrong using your superior philosophical arguments.

>> No.9593892
File: 603 KB, 900x900, george says no.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9592040
>Without practicing philosophy, we can't even know if we exist

>> No.9593913

It's kind of embarrassing watching philosophers shill their own field as some sort of king that stands above all science when absolutely no one in society cares about it.

>> No.9593963
File: 214 KB, 746x718, 424.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.9593981

>>9592040
Who cares

>> No.9594004

>>9593528

Why should I answer this question?

>> No.9594528

>>9592040
philosophy as always presented today
>a bunch of I feel empty inside whining feckless cunt crybabies none of whom know what it's all about
LOL
>why philosophy is down and out

>> No.9594537

>>9593854 >>9593854
>It doesn't reject it. It is just honest about what it can do.
Philosophy can't do Nothing
Philosophy answer Nothing
Philosopher know Nothing
Philosophy degree is worth Nothing

>> No.9594953

does posting still work? what do anons think: scientists have been shunned throughout history, but now science is (rightfully so) popular. can the same happen to philosophy?

>> No.9594988

>>9594953
You cant shun philosophy away. Basic foundations of science and mathematics are based on philosophical reasoning. The concept of numbers, the scientific method, etc did not arise from nothing. It was all rationalized by scientist-philosophers. There's such a thing as the philosophy of science / mathematics. Presently philosophy is currently being used to define a.i., the "mind", ethical implications of cloning and other new med technology.

>> No.9595000

>>9594988
well said anon, I agree. both are necessary.

>> No.9595018

>>9592040
Philosophy has already reached its logical conclusion of anti-natalism, until it can be disproven there's no point in pursuing philosophy further

>> No.9595033

>>9595018
So it may be better if we didn't exist; yet we do. What things bring happiness? Is happiness dependent upon extrinsic values, or can it come from within solely? What states of mind prove capable of conjuring happiness?

We exist. It's good to have questions with hopes of providing answers pertaining to the optimal states of our existences.

Neuroscience can answer some of those questions; however, philosophy's still required to answer all of them. Although philosophical answers may prove more subjective. It's still valuable.

>> No.9595041

>>9595033
You didn't disprove it, therefore all the questions you ask are pointless.

>> No.9595062

>>9595041
What if consciusness isn't dependent upon baryon matter? What if the universe not existing means we experience super-ultra-mega heat and infinite density in our consciousnesses? I'd say it's better if we exist if that was the case. However, it is just banter, BUT what if consciousness isn't dependent of baryon matter? What can science tell us

>> No.9595067

>>9592090
Why do you think subjective experience has no value? I already believe that everything else has no value, why devalue your 'self' ?

>> No.9595844
File: 1.00 MB, 1716x1710, 1474315655905.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9593234
>judging philosophy on its utility with regards to engineering and medical science
The function of philosophy isn't to do any of those things, so fuck off and go listen to more popsci you retard

>> No.9596779

>>9593234
Science and philosophy are the purest forms of inquiry our cognition is able to produce. To use more apt terms, science is logic and philosophy reason.

Don't get caught in the semantics here and pay the fuck attention.

Science is "how?".
Philosophy is "why?".

All queries are able to be traced back to these foundations, and one cannot exist without the other to edify it.

Dont be an ape that dresses like a parrot.

>> No.9596861

>>9595844
You still haven't been able to give a concrete, practical reason why philosophy is useful. All you've done so far is insinuate that everyone else is less intelligent than you.

>> No.9596872

>>9596861
Have you even read the allegory of the cave?

>> No.9596897

>>9596872
>lmao ur so dum 4 not knowing my bedtime stories
So this is the true power of philosophy.

>> No.9596906

>>9596897
Not exactly dumb.
Just unavoidably brainlet tier, a vacuous hole, a boring man. Enjoy your drugs, your wife, and your house payment.

>> No.9596942
File: 453 KB, 719x781, 1519635090263.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9595844
>>9596872
>>9596906
>is unable to articulate why philosophy is useful
>claims it's obvious to hide his own ignorance
>insults everyone who doesn't already agree with him
wew

>> No.9597064

>>9596906
are you suggesting we should instead be enjoying a life with tfw no gf and no house?

>> No.9597068
File: 633 KB, 720x914, Kenspentagram.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9596872
You waste your breath on this place. Everyone here traded metaphysics for a calculator.

>> No.9597073
File: 69 KB, 320x990, 1.1969663.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9592090
>Is science real,
No.
>does it bear any value
Only if you use it for some profit.
>you accept that nothing subjective bears any value
That's a non sequitur you postmodernist retard.

>> No.9597228

>>9595844

I agree with this sentiment, except Bill Nye didn't say anything bad there.

>> No.9597318
File: 248 KB, 985x1024, 1519333435133m.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Scientists are just brainlets who don't understand the problem of induction. Most "scientists" I meet just p-hack their thesis papers, graduate without hope, and wind up becoming well paid software engineers/website designers.

Real philosophers are great logicians and statisticians, and they understand the limits of knowledge. Contrary to the opinions of 200 IQ Bill Nye and BSM fans, philosophers are the ones who actually push the field of science forward.

>> No.9597343

>>9597318
This is just embarrassing to read.

>> No.9597525

Obviously half the thread has never read any philosophy and knows nothing about it. Reddit meme scientism everywhere.

Autists complaining about philosophy's apparent lack of utility who can't understand the value of philosophical inquiry and thought for its own sake should note that logical advancements made by philosophers like Tarksi, Frege, Russell, etc. made computer science possible and helped lay the foundations for the world we live in. Also, modern science as a whole emerged from Aristotle's natural philosophy. Smh

>> No.9597664

>>9597525
Science is pursuit of knowledge. Philosophy is pursuit of knowledge. Philosophy works on a baser level and has less intuitively apparent benefits but aims to for the same goals as science. It's ironic how somebody who labels themselves as a sympathizer of science can claim they have zero appreciation for philosophy.

>>9595067
That was a hasty post I made on my phone but I was pointing out that since science draws its value from subjective experience (you use it to eventually derive some form of subjective pleasure from it) you can't value it without valuing subjective experience as well.

The self must have value because it and its experiences are the only things known to exist for certain. Since your self fundamentally values positive experiences, it means positive experiences are valuable (from the perspective of the self). Since the self can appreciate experiences, it also has value as the device that enables the existence of the things it values.

>> No.9597672

>>9593851
Empiricism is a philosophical stance

>> No.9597675

>>9593520
>Mindless entities pursue pleasure. Conscious beings don't submit to their primal programming.
So, being conscious is acting against your own interests? You don't seem to understand the difference between long-term goals and short-term pleasure. A conscious entity chases long-term goals if it believes they will bring it a greater net amount of pleasure than short-term goals. A conscious entity spends time doing intellectual things because that may give the entity greater pleasure than just the sheer pleasure coming from less intellectually stimulating pursuits. But in the end it all boils down to the conscious entity wanting to maximize its net pleasure, which is only logical.

>I'd like to point out that you seem to feel intellectual superior to the masses, and yet I'm not seeing how. You have the same motivations, the same ideas and backwards philosophy that the masses today have. You act like you've meditated on a mountain-top for half your life to come to this conclusion, but in reality you're just simplifying everything down as much as you can.
Maybe I'm superior to the majority of people, maybe not. I don't care. But at least I have an understanding of what my existence is. You didn't even seem to understand what the goal of your own existence is, you seriously think survival for survival's sake is the great meaning of life.

>> No.9597677

>>9592090
>Relies on Philosophy.
>Not Mathematics.

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

>> No.9597680

>>9597677
mathematics interacts with philosophy

>> No.9597683
File: 30 KB, 246x357, 1443479002458.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9597318
>pic
Exquisite

>> No.9597726

>>9597228
Understanding the limitations of our senses and observations is at the foundation of both relativity and quantum mechanics. What Bill Nye said is incredibly ignorant for a ""scientist"".

>> No.9597748

>>9592040
>we can't even know if we exist.
>implying philosophy has ever genuinely attempted to answer this

>> No.9597759

>>9597748
>implying it hasn't
I already gave my own reasoning here >>9593391 >>9593429, and I welcome you to find any flaws in it

>> No.9597768
File: 29 KB, 548x470, IMG_1707.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9597726
>scientists must never EVER be skeptical about anything.

>> No.9597769

>>9597768
That's the exact opposite of what anon was saying. He was saying that scientists SHOULD be able to be sceptical of the information relayed to us through our senses, something Bill Nye and you are seemingly unable to understand.

>> No.9597781

>>9597769
Nye is allowed to be skeptical of the notion that what we experience isn't real or concrete; his statement doesn't necessarily imply that our senses are infallible.

>> No.9597797

>>9597781
He probably agrees with it, but he is straw-maning the shit out of philosophy and sounding like an idiot doing it.

When people are skeptical about "reality being real" they are really saying that our senses are shit at finding out what reality is.

Maybe he had some super subtle point about some very specific philosophy, but it sure doesn't come of that way.

>> No.9599279 [DELETED] 
File: 101 KB, 720x663, 1512132464228.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

pic semi related...